Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 19, 2013 1:28 PM
Jan 2013
This is an.. interesting series. I kept having to check that I wasn't watching an alternate K-On!! or something. The bird is pretty funny, though. There's enough of a "what's next?" element to keep me interested until the next episode, even though not much has happened yet.
Also, Tamako and Anko are so cute I can barely stand it!
Jan 19, 2013 1:37 PM

Jul 2012
Yuri subtext. Ugh.
I'm rooting for Mochizou and Tamako all the way.

Cute episode overall.
Jan 19, 2013 1:43 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm.. I want the chocolate mochi too
Jan 19, 2013 1:55 PM

Oct 2011
Tamako and Kanna looked so cute in their bunny outfits! Tamako x Mochizou is definitely the way to go.
Jan 19, 2013 2:20 PM
Feb 2012
I'd probably eat that bird at some point just to make him shut up. o.o
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 19, 2013 2:23 PM

Jul 2012
Decent episode but nothing outstanding.

Dera is pretty awesome as usual.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 19, 2013 3:40 PM

Oct 2012
I'm watching this for the bird, that's it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 19, 2013 7:09 PM

Apr 2011
I'm addicted to the moe, someone give me another shot!
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 19, 2013 7:46 PM

Feb 2012
Ho, Midori likes Tamako, that's surprising, KyoAni better goes into later on.
Jan 19, 2013 11:09 PM

Jun 2008
Mochizou is my favorite :'D
Jan 20, 2013 3:32 AM

Aug 2012
Alot better and funnier than the first episode. Left a good impression.

Quite interested on the birds connections to the dark skinned characters that reappeared.

8/10.
Jan 20, 2013 6:03 AM
Mar 2010
That bird. That bird is the BOSS. I'm only watching this show for him.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jan 20, 2013 3:13 PM

Jun 2011
There should be a warning on this anime "Disclaimer: Over exposure to tamako market may cause diabetes and/or heart failure."
Jan 20, 2013 11:55 PM

May 2010
OMG Tamako is so cute, heck almost every girl in this anime is cute !!
Jan 21, 2013 1:32 AM

May 2012
Not any ever than the first, only slower actually. I'm watching it for the ED.

I get the feeling Tamako is not going to end with anybody, not even Mochizou.
Jan 21, 2013 6:33 AM

Dec 2012
Elite60 said:
Tsundere father! Found that funny.

lol at the nervous speech scene
and love that quote "Everybody must have love someone"
Jan 22, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2010
I assume Midori's feelings won't be reciprocated and Mochizou will get Tama-chan? Poor Midori-chan, hang in there.

I freaking love that bird, 4/5, had some great laughs.
Jan 22, 2013 12:59 PM

Jan 2011
This was nothing special really, didn't laugh even once but it was an was enjoyable in a slice-of-life way.
I'll be watching more though, it's not bad by any means.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 22, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2008
yuri market~
Jan 23, 2013 5:20 AM

May 2007
I'm watching this for the plot and the plot is thickening, like maple syrup.

Jan 23, 2013 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
Tamako is so much cuter with her hair not tied up. Other than that, I find this anime really boring...
Jan 24, 2013 12:24 AM

Aug 2011
nil- said:
GatekeeperLamb said:
But the series never implied LOVE from girl to girl in Toradora, this episode was pretty straight forward to be honest, which surprises me.

Ah, I guess you haven't looked too closely at Minori's love for Taiga in the middle few episodes of the drama arcs (actually I'm not even sure if you need to look closely as it's laid pretty bare). But that's sort of besides the point since this is more a reactions/impressions topic for Tamako. You can discuss it via comments or PMs if you'd like.
It was never as clear as this though. Minori seemed more obsessed with Taiga and being her friend than wanting any kind of romance. The whole "you can love anyone" at the end, along with all that blushing was obvious hints at yuri. I'm pretty sure that with the way things are going, this is definitely going to be brought up again, and might be one of the main subplots related to her character. I never liked yuri, so I won't really be looking forward to it though.

The series has been very cute and enjoyable so far.
RaisinMuffinsJan 24, 2013 12:27 AM
Jan 24, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2011
i'm loving the hell out of this! gives me a warm freaky feeling the same way the great tsuritami did.....anime comicness at its' best!
Jan 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Sep 2012

"Bunny, Bunny, Hop, Hop" <3
"Once you miss the opportunity to say something, the words become increasingly toxic."
Jan 28, 2013 12:22 PM
Jan 2013
I really like the idea of MidorixTamako soooo cute. I don't think Tamako will end up with anyone in the end though. :(
Feb 2, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2010
Tamako wearing glasses is really nice.
Her dad was really cute about the mochi's.
You have no idea how cute Mochizou is to me now omg.
The earing was enough but then the phone-cup thing was too adorable right after he was sleeping so cutely. Ahhh.
Feb 3, 2013 11:10 PM

Jun 2012
I thought this scene was so cute. I wish I lived in a place where I could do this.

Dera is getting way too fat.
KoshiiFeb 4, 2013 7:46 AM
Feb 13, 2013 4:18 AM

Oct 2012
Tons of moe! No story doesn't matter, it's nice slice-of-life to relax :)
Feb 25, 2013 7:28 AM

Apr 2012
Tamako's father went blushing and acting deredere sure crack me up! Didn't see that coming, lolwtf
Mar 7, 2013 10:44 PM

Mar 2013
I'm not glued to this Anime like I am with Haganai but I gotta admit it's cool and has this "cute" atmosphere around it that makes me come back for more. The plot is weird but I try to simply ignore stuff like how the Dera works and enjoy it.
Apr 3, 2013 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
Though it wasn’t quite as terrific as the last, this was a really good episode, as it illustrated several essential and highly interesting complexities within Midori’s development, while also touching on an abundance of separate character dynamics in a very effective manner. This episode, in particular, was excellently balanced throughout, as it never excessively lingered on a particular development or interaction, while it also, once again, allowed the supporting characters to provide the most effective and consistent perspective. Dera’s brief narration towards the end concluded the episode on a suitably poignant and astute note.

Midori’s characterization throughout this episode was suffused with a plethora of intriguing nuances that strongly allude to the possibility that she does, in fact, have romantic feelings for Tamako, which were depicted with an abundance of considerably well-implemented flourishes of emotion and nearly imperceptible expressions. In particular, I thought that the moment Midori attempted to casually, yet somewhat forcefully, compel Tamako into an acknowledgement of who she’d be giving chocolate to was rather effective and thoroughly revealing. The subsequent shot, in which a noticeably curious Midori looms over Tamako, was nicely framed, conveying several fleeting emotions with a deceptively simplistic bit of imagery. Several other moments and beautifully subtle expressions, such as Midori’s forlorn gaze towards Tamako while filming, along with Kanna’s final words to Midori, essentially solidified her romantic inclinations into a relative certainty. Though her personality doesn’t necessarily lend itself to an immensely engaging focus, her development was implemented into this episode extremely well, never appearing as unnecessary tedium.

Though indistinct and likely deceptive in nature, I’m hoping that Dera’s mention of the prince to Tamako and his subsequent bewilderment at where a “princess” could be found isn’t subtly foreshadowing that Tamako would eventually be the realized conclusion to that aspect of the story, since that would be a rather disappointing and needlessly predictable development. If romance is to eventually be filtered into the narrative, which, in itself, could be quite interesting, I’d immensely prefer an approach towards either allowing Mochizou’s feelings for Tamako to be reciprocated or a further focus on Midori’s potential love for her. The prince, so far, is simply too tangential to warrant significantly increased involvement towards the conclusion of the story.

The characters, though quite interesting and enjoyable, remain one of the slightly weaker elements, due largely to their lack of properly established characterization. Of course, I don’t yet consider this to be a flaw, since this aspect of the narrative still possesses immense potential, as partially illustrated by the compelling focus on Midori and her individualistic inclinations throughout this episode. As such, it appears nearly inevitable that many of the characters, in time, will receive, at the very least, a heightened insight, which would partially benefit the rather simplistic nature of the story.

Following this episode, though I quite like Midori, Kanna has quickly become of the most enjoyable characters in the show, and, as such, I’m hoping that she’ll be properly developed along with the others, rather than remaining a somewhat ancillary figure within the story. Her personality, similar to Dera’s, allows for the most consistent humor. However, it seems unlikely that she’ll ever be portrayed within the story as anything more than a purely comedic entity, which is still quite satisfying, but I would definitely prefer her to be considerably more prevalent. The character interactions remain thoroughly engaging, as they often elevate mere simplicity into something exceedingly interesting, most notably displayed by the numerous complexities that were comprehensively conveyed by the smallest expressions within the various filming sequences. This aspect of the show is definitely one of it’s most impressive, as it consistently excels at illuminating a rather suitable naturalism. Of course, Dera’s presence really heightens the effectiveness of the interactions, since he’s typically involved in the best moments.

The subdued direction continues to be very effective, as it consistently complements the nature of the show. As such, this deft handling of the material has greatly illuminated the beauty of several sequences, such as the wonderfully stylistic scene in which Midori blissfully tiptoes along with her arms outstretched. This nearly inconsequential moment was infused with a seemingly heightened significance, due mostly to the particularly expressionistic framing throughout. Some of the most atmospheric moments throughout this episode and the last are those that involve Tamako traversing through the market, as they illuminate the distinct liveliness that inherently permeates through this relatively unique setting. The particularly similar sequence that appeared towards the beginning of this episode greatly assisted in further establishing the energetic and diverse nature of Tamako’s world.

Visually, this episode, though not quite as impressive as the first, was crafted with an exceptional attention to complementary detail. As such, the meticulous artistry within the backgrounds really accentuated a wonderfully vibrant atmosphere. Musically, this episode was great, particularly the whimsical selection that directly followed the title card, as this accompanying flourish excellently established the distinctly lighthearted and slightly romantic tone that would permeate throughout the rest of the episode. I also loved the selection that accompanied the momentary glimpse of the shopping district commercial, which was really well-directed.

All in all, though not as strong as the introductory episode, Tamako Market skillfully impressed with an episode that continues to illustrate a superb execution, particularly in it’s ability to illustrate the complexities within the setting’s relation to the characters. The approach to storytelling, especially within each isolated episode, has been considerably strong. Though it hasn’t yet proved detrimental, I do, however, hope that some sort of consistent narrative will materialize soon, since an absence of one could eventually detract from the effectiveness of the show.
Apr 12, 2013 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
SunnyPanda said:
I really like the idea of MidorixTamako soooo cute. I don't think Tamako will end up with anyone in the end though. :(

it not YURI anime LOL, but if it wold be then i wold not be against it :D
i think it will be like this
Tamako x Mochizou, her & her fathers rivals son
Midori x Prince

Tamako father is tsunderer :D
Sugram22Apr 12, 2013 2:30 PM
May 4, 2013 9:29 AM

Sep 2011
Another cute and funny episode :)

Tamako didn't use the glasses to read or anything, so why did she wear it if she usually doesn't?
Or maybe she usually wears contact lens? (At least she sings something like that that in the lyrics of the ED.)
May 21, 2013 8:16 AM

May 2012
Great and funny second episode with a nice pace in how the periods of time go by! Lets see what's next!

OMG @ That chocolate house O_O!
Jul 12, 2013 4:10 AM

Nov 2012
valentine! XD
lol XD its interesting and funny.. :3
tamako and kanna wearing bunny costume XD *kyaaa.. freakin' cute XD
and then that moment when mochizou talking with tamako.. and then dera show up XD
Oct 17, 2013 11:13 AM

May 2013
All the voice actors seem familiar to me
Nov 9, 2013 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
I really do love the thought of Midori x Tamako. There's way not enough yuri in this world. Have a big crush on Midori. In some way she reminds me of Mio.
Nov 24, 2013 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
I know that this show is nothing more than a cute girls doing cute things anime, but Goddammit, this has to be the cutest anime i have ever seen so far! :)
Nov 24, 2013 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
kuuurt said:
>hair touching scene
>running together
>"Who are you gonna give chocolate to?"
>Midori smiling while looking at Tamako
>confused with her feelings
MY YURI GOGGLES EXPLODED

I KNOW RIGHT! :)
Jan 8, 2014 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
Yvese said:
Great ep. Far less random and slower paced than the first ep which is nice to see.

Agree, far more enjoyable than the first episode! I was actually kept entertained from beginning to end. :)
Jan 26, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2014
After just two episodes I'm totally enthralled. Everything is wonderful, the art is great, the characters are fantastic - the Bunny Mountain meeting bit was great and just the shopkeepers are a really diverse and 3-dimensional-feeling group. The pace ticks along nicely, and covering several days didn't feel rushed at all. It's really hard to pick favourite characters! I can't pick out any I like less than anyone else either...

Taking all my willpower not to just watch all episodes tonight...

-Edit-
Actually, scratch that - Dera feels a bit out of place. Like, they could have just had a cute Slice-Of-Life about a mochi maker's daughter *without* a strange bird/projector thing. Maybe if the plot starts moving because of him then I'll change my mind, but so far he could fall out of the show and not change much. Although it is funny how every character just takes a talking bird in their stride...
Lachan92Jan 26, 2014 12:38 PM
Jun 7, 2014 11:20 PM

Mar 2014
Baldie. lol!!
Valentine's day!!
Tamako and kanna in bunny suit!! so cute as ever!!!
"Everybody loves somebody".. hm .. hm.. I agree!!
This Animation-style making me scream "kawaii" "moe" every episode !!!
"Anybody can love anyone ... because Love is always on everyone of anyone!!!"- My Love Perspective based from the episode :D
That Ending... I can relate. (....)
Nice Episode!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2014 6:44 PM

Aug 2009
One word: Ui

she got rejected X) that means my chance has came! yea right

loving the tamaya family

spoiler
foreshadowing *cough*tamako love story*cough*
/spoiler
Dec 21, 2014 12:33 PM

Nov 2014
That phone-cup scene was adorable! I'm really curious about Dera and what that projection thing was all about.
Jun 8, 2015 4:02 PM

Sep 2011
yuri pandering that obviously wont go anywhere is a really annoying thing to add to a series, either go full out and make a lesbian romance series or cut it entirely.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 20, 2015 4:16 PM

Feb 2014
Midori gets more chocolates from girls than from guys.

Midori looks at Tamako twice with romantic connotations.

MY YURI SENSES ARE TINGLING.

Feb 7, 2016 5:19 AM

Mar 2014
A song sung in French?

Instant +2 points
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 1, 2016 8:03 PM

Sep 2015
This is a really flawed show, but it has a well realized setting, a pretty big and cute cast of characters and as always with KyoAni same character models not withstanding some really solid animation. I was honestly really surprised this was a KyoAni original because it seems like a rushed adaptation. There are just multiple scenes like the Bird taking Midori out for coffee that feel under explained and way too abrupt which kind of left me shaking my head.

Still I liked a lot of stuff in this episode. The Valentines theme was solid and I liked the Dad's progression slowly but surely away from the pure basics of mochi. We're also learning a little more about Tamako's two friends which I didn't expect, am I the only one getting yuri vibes from Nanami? I wonder... On a final note the recurring joke of Tamako being nervous in front of large groups was really cute and funny.

I found the ending really confounding. Clearly these people are from the bird's homeland which he is searching for the princess of. But I think the tracking of this plot line has been a little sloppy. We'll see where this goes I think this show has a lot of potential, but these first two episodes haven't really blown me away.
Aug 24, 2016 11:31 AM

Oct 2012
After two episodes I'm getting the feeling that Tomako Market is the quintessential KyoAni show. Well, I'm a big fan of cute so I'm enjoying it so far. Though now we have a pointless mascot character who gets way too much screentime and a frustrating yuri subplot that is not going to go anywhere.
Oct 12, 2016 10:59 AM

Dec 2014
valentine's special this time..well this became interesting... what's up with the bird anyway
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2013

366 by sorrowsanimelist »»
Yesterday, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2013

225 by bakakisima »»
Apr 28, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2013

175 by bakakisima »»
Apr 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 6, 2013

179 by bakakisima »»
Apr 27, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Tamako Market Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2013

132 by katakumplat »»
Dec 31, 2023 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.