Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2019 9:39 PM

Jul 2016
Ironically underwhelming episode. Its just part 1 not the whole story. The ending giving some flashbacks I see from movies. To next episode.

Jun 9, 2019 9:44 PM

Apr 2019
FlamepriesT said:
Honestly, this reveal is as underwhelming as it gets to me. The story takes ages to get to this point and makes a point of being super mysterious about it. Even the act of opening the book was turned into something mysterious and tense. But instead of a crazy, groundbreaking revelation... all this did was confirm the already-confirmed and obvious point that those in power had been lying and keeping secrets.

And here I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of "at first there were only titans, but somebody found a way to turn them into humans and erase their memory to control them from within the walls" or something. Instead, my reaction was "so what?".

People were saying the series would get more complex with the reveal... well, I hope the series reaaaaaaaaaally elaborates on this, because so far things don't look much different at all.

nothing actually got revealed yet
you have 3 episodes left so chill :D
people said the series gets more complex because of the next 2 Arcs

i think next week will give you a lot of clarity personally
this just felt slow because unlike the 2 chapters per episode they had to drag out 1 chapter for 1 episode

also if you didn't watch the post credit scene (which you probably did) then you should do that

this episode was so desired by manga readers because it rings the actual turning point.

you have 3 weeks left with this show, so just sit back and enjoy the popcorn.
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 9, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2013
FlamepriesT said:
Honestly, this reveal is as underwhelming as it gets to me. The story takes ages to get to this point and makes a point of being super mysterious about it. Even the act of opening the book was turned into something mysterious and tense. But instead of a crazy, groundbreaking revelation... all this did was confirm the already-confirmed and obvious point that those in power had been lying and keeping secrets.

And here I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of "at first there were only titans, but somebody found a way to turn them into humans and erase their memory to control them from within the walls" or something. Instead, my reaction was "so what?".

People were saying the series would get more complex with the reveal... well, I hope the series reaaaaaaaaaally elaborates on this, because so far things don't look much different at all.

Don't worry this is just like 5% of what you will find out from the basement, the last three episode will have the meaty part of it, plot twist, wtf moment, the next episode will subvert expectation.

Don't worry some manga readers were fuming when this chapter was release saying " we wait all these years for a damn picture!?"

And I replied to them saying, chill there are three books of information that Grisha wrote, wait until the next few chapters to get context before making judgement.

Oh, and congratulations, you have finish attack on titan prologue.

keragammingJun 9, 2019 10:00 PM
Jun 9, 2019 9:50 PM

Jan 2018
This is high time where you don't read discussion cause theres a lot of subtle hints for next episodes. Too many spoilers.
Jun 9, 2019 10:04 PM
Oct 2018
Great episode. As an anime only, I still don't know much except that humanity exists beyond the walls. Looks like next is gonna reveal and explain a lot of things.
Jun 9, 2019 10:13 PM

Oct 2017
Can someone explain that photo in short since i didn’t read the manga. It kinda caught me off guard cuz it basically seems there’s a whole society with advance technology out there somewhere and it doesn’t make any sense....
Jun 9, 2019 10:44 PM

Oct 2015
So this episode was basically a recap of the things that happened and making sure the viewer is focused on all the meanings this has

Which is fine I guess. I personally didn't need it so it's a waste of an episode for me, but that's probably not everybody and because of the amount of discussions I read about the last episodes.

Besides that we had them walking in their destroyed town which honestly had me, idek how to describe, tense emotions. That was done really well too. And we had them finding the book. Then the ending which is a teaser to next episode which is what I hoped to see today lol

There was also Armin's worry and Levi's reaction, though that was filled up with lots of recapping time by giving time to already obvious things.

So basically not mad but also not much to say. I hoped they would chase them with Armin's new power but I guess not. Am I the only one who finds it a bit much that in the end they took down all 3 but TWO were snatched from them? I can't handle this lol even if it made sense it's just too much seeing their situation and how they already have had so many lessons about how short their chances are and how easy it is to lose if they hesitate.
Jun 9, 2019 11:05 PM

Dec 2008
Anime only fans, this is were things get crazy. (
ノ*0*)ノ
Jun 9, 2019 11:24 PM
Jun 2016
FlamepriesT said:

This wasn't the actual reveal. This episode adapts chapter 85 which ends with the text on the photo being read. The after credits teaser was actually the start of chapter 86 so nothing was really shown concerning the heavy stuff.

Next episode will adapt chapter 86 and probably end somewhere in chapter 87 so that episode will be the actual reveal.
Jun 9, 2019 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
Venator25 said:
FlamepriesT said:

This wasn't the actual reveal. This episode adapts chapter 85 which ends with the text on the photo being read. The after credits teaser was actually the start of chapter 86 so nothing was really shown concerning the heavy stuff.

Next episode will adapt chapter 86 and probably end somewhere in chapter 87 so that episode will be the actual reveal.

based off the preview, its going to fully adapt chapter 86 and 87, if you look at the preview where it shows Eren that is almost the end of chapter, there isn't any good stopping point except the end of that chapter.
Jun 10, 2019 12:05 AM
Aug 2018
I'm pretty sure next episode is going to show the post-credit scene again.

I'm not sure why people would exit after where the episode ended though, can't they tell it ended sooner and the ending shouldn't take up the rest of the episode?
Jun 10, 2019 12:13 AM

Mar 2013
this is the best season of attack on titan hands down the entire season 3! Love this show and it keeps getting better in my opinion, I just wish they make season 4 fast! That photo makes me think of a lot of theories grisha with that kid and woman..
Jun 10, 2019 12:59 AM

Jan 2017
Oh gawd, this episode was too good, but that walking scene was just not it... after a point it begins to kill any sort of suspense with the feelings of just getting past it.
In any case, the cliffhanger brought it back, could you not have made the the trinity books less mysterious. Just carrying them, with one pic shown to us.

Can't wait for the next episode
Jun 10, 2019 1:00 AM

Apr 2019
keragamming said:
Venator25 said:

based off the preview, its going to fully adapt chapter 86 and 87, if you look at the preview where it shows Eren that is almost the end of chapter, there isn't any good stopping point except the end of that chapter.

You son of a .. turtle

Jun 10, 2019 1:16 AM

Mar 2016
So much juicy stuff is gonna come next, ahhhhh i'm so excited.
Jun 10, 2019 1:31 AM

Jan 2015
Wow incredibile, there was no tension whatsoever. Underwhelming episode. I was just like “oh ok so humans exist outside the walls”
Not a bad episode eehhhh but not really good either, could have been executed 100x times better imo
XenocrisiJun 10, 2019 2:25 AM
Jun 10, 2019 1:32 AM
Mar 2011
Roxas2019 said:
Anime only REMEMBER this the turning point of this series after this episode the series will change from generic anime to masterpiece

There is only way this anime can be changed from "generic" to "masterpiece" - add more Sasha and Mikasa action with different outfits.

I am glad they finally found the basement. Now as i can predict - they use "gaijins secrets" to produce decent automatic firearms (with fullmetal jackets expansive ammo) and attack helicopters.
This all is a artistic representation of a historic way of civilization of Japan by a europeans. so - next steps should be like this.
Jun 10, 2019 1:39 AM

May 2009
Ive probably been waiting for this moment ever since Eren got the key to the basement. There is a chance it gets underwelming, but I have a feeling it's not. This show has been pretty good at telling a story so far (few flaws here and there).
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jun 10, 2019 1:48 AM

Jul 2015
Really Great episode.

They managed to stretch one chapter into a full episode,really liked how they portrayed Levi's reflection in the mirror.

And finally the Basement Reveal,like everyone said please don't skip the post credits scene.

Jun 10, 2019 2:10 AM
Feb 2016
Xenocrisi said:
Wow incredibile, there was no tension whatsoever. Underwhelming episode. I was just like “oh ok so humans exist outside the walls”
Not a bad episode eehhhh not really food either, could have been executed 100x times netter IMO

Don’t worry.They are going to explain everything about the big reveal and complexity of AoT world.At least you guys got to see the post credits scene which were not included in the basement chapter.
Jun 10, 2019 2:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, it feels like ages since I read this bit in the manga. I remember the sense of expectation, dread and foreboding The only thing I can compare to it is Game of Thrones for the White Walkers to finally show up at walls of men.

Like everything so far this season, the studio has handled it very well. Don't mess around with a great story and characters and the art looks nice and crisp. Music and direction are top dollar too. The animation has some shortcuts here and there, but that's to be expected with the way the animation industry handles itself in Japan. I wonder how AoT is doing nowadays saleswise there.

Next we get

Fappa said:
Modernoir said:
Shoutouts to the salty retard that already rated this ep a 1 without even seeing it, LOL.

I mean the same happens for the opposite side of the point range as it can already be seen in this thread, so if anything I'd also call out that. May it be high or low the scoring for this website is faulty to the core anyway.

I'm really hoping that one day they can update the website functionality so that it becomes impossible to rate episodes until they have actually aired.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 10, 2019 2:40 AM

Apr 2019
@Farabeuf "I'm really hoping that one day they can update the website functionality so that it becomes impossible to rate episodes until they have actually aired. "
thats not the reason why Modernoir commented that, he was referring to the fact that people that rate early on, and rate a 1 most likely haven't seen the episode because rating a 1 is just ridiculous.

the episode had already aired by the time Modernoir commented and many of us watch it live on NHK Japan
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 10, 2019 2:44 AM

Mar 2014
I have been wondering what's in the basement since I was 16 lol can't wait for the next episode and learning more about Grisha's past! I am a bit disappointed we didn't learn the truth in this ep considering its name is Basement, but the pacing was really good and made the episode suspenseful. P.S. Levi kicking the door down impatiently was the best moment LOL

For some reason, although I had considered the possibility of a more modern world outside the walls throughout the years, I was a bit stunned with seeing airships and the mention of photographs. I'll do my best to avoid spoilers because I really want to be surprised by the revelations.
Jun 10, 2019 2:50 AM

Feb 2013
So, his father is from the other side.
Jun 10, 2019 3:25 AM

Nov 2015
Hands down 5/5.

It literally felt like the season finale, smoothly transitioning to a new arc with an explosive development.. almost morphing to an entirely, different story. Yes, I did read the manga but if I dare say the anime is a unique identity of its own.

Well.. to be honest, this is probably where everything starts getting more and more complicated than it already was.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2019 3:27 AM

Nov 2015
Ulquiorra said:
So, his father is from the other side.
Why did Grisha cross the walls?

To get to the other side.

Jokes aside, to
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2019 3:31 AM
Mar 2011
I wonder what happens to scouts now. They have had mission where they lost 91% of entire reigment manpower (including head and all recruits). Scouts are does not exists no more. Next batch or recruits will be ready around a year and, considering they all volunteers, i dont think they can have decent amoount of fresh peoples. So to get ito anything resembling theyr previous capability they need almost a decade (assuming they have all top 10 of cadets every year join them).
Jun 10, 2019 3:37 AM

Jun 2013
OMG I'm not ready for the next episode. It's going to be gruesome, particularly for that ONE person who is also related to Eren. Manga readers know what I'm talking about. I'm a dog person but seriously, the next episode. Ugh.

I enjoy watching some reactions on YouTube while rewatching the episode for the second time. I usually sync it and some of them were pretty surprised by Grisha's background and seeing him as a kid with a blimp in the sky.

Anyways, Levi kicking down that door was awesome. Loved how brutally honest Levi and Hanji were about preferring Erwin to Armin, even Armin wanted to keep Erwin alive but what's done is done.
臭い-
Jun 10, 2019 3:45 AM

Feb 2009
ABDoesThings said:
Sneako said:
After 6 years. I was a kid just getting puberty when season 1 started. Now I'm a fully grown adult. After 56 episodes we FINALLY figure out what's in the basement. Only took 1/3rd of my life to figure out lmao. In all seriousness this was good but expected. I think everyone already had a feeling that human life (possibly completely different societies and civilizations?) existed outside the walls. Looking forward to the next ep!
Nah, most people were considering there'd be a cure or some sort of apocalyptic society. No one thought that humanity would be doing JUST FINE outside the walls and living the good life.

I thought that. Since the Ymir episode it was painfully obvious that there are 2 human factions that for some reason hate each other...but I just don't know why.
It's really wierd that the far inferior faction (humans inside the walls) are considered "evil". I mean is this some kind of concentration camp for "jew like people" and the people outside are compleltly nazi (and the royal familiys who keep their memorys are what...overseer?)? I thought about that since in this episode thise badges were shown on Grisha which reminded me on nazi germanys handling with the jews. And this anime takes place most likly in europe...so...
Well I hope my questions will be answered finally next week, the supsense is killing me
Jun 10, 2019 3:52 AM
Apr 2016
Alfonse said:
Modernoir said:

Agreed! God it felt like the start of a new anime, they've handled it so damn well already. I'm not ready for the next 3 weeks, bros.

3 weeks? It's going to take long for the next episode?

They probably mean that the things become so cruel from now on you need to brace yourself, mentally.
phoenixdevice said:
Roxas2019 said:
Anime only REMEMBER this the turning point of this series after this episode the series will change from generic anime to masterpiece

I am glad they finally found the basement. Now as i can predict - they use "gaijins secrets" to produce decent automatic firearms (with fullmetal jackets expansive ammo) and attack helicopters.
This all is a artistic representation of a historic way of civilization of Japan by a europeans. so - next steps should be like this.

This is so absurd and pretentious I must exert effort not to abuse the "report" function.
Re:formed
Jun 10, 2019 3:55 AM

Jan 2011
Do people really stop at the ED and not check how much time is left for the ep? You deserve to miss shit if you do.

The reveal got me thinking about those live action movies.
Jun 10, 2019 3:56 AM
Apr 2016
Nim0174 said:
@Farabeuf "I'm really hoping that one day they can update the website functionality so that it becomes impossible to rate episodes until they have actually aired. "
thats not the reason why Modernoir commented that, he was referring to the fact that people that rate early on, and rate a 1 most likely haven't seen the episode because rating a 1 is just ridiculous.

the episode had already aired by the time Modernoir commented and many of us watch it live on NHK Japan

And how do you do that kind sirs? You are what, some sort of Japanese?
Jun 10, 2019 3:58 AM
Oct 2007
sharprazorx said:
finally anime only niggas know a bit of what's going on in AOT lmao

At this point after season 2, I believed at least half of the anime-only watchers would have at least guess or predicted this as one of the possibility.

As a standalone, this episode was pretty slow and I do agree that to a certain extend, underwhelming as well.
My concern is what the manga readers are hyping up to be a masterpiece. There're quite a few show that had this relatively "similar" concept too but I don't think I've a strong impression on any of those unfortunately.

I hope SnK proves to be otherwise because SnK is already a masterpiece to me so far.
I'm surprised to find out Wit won't be handling SnK next season onwards. I wonder why since the studio have been doing such a great job all along.
Jun 10, 2019 4:01 AM

Feb 2009
luccide said:
sharprazorx said:
finally anime only niggas know a bit of what's going on in AOT lmao

At this point after season 2, I believed at least half of the anime-only watchers would have at least guess or predicted this as one of the possibility.

As a standalone, this episode was pretty slow and I do agree that to a certain extend, underwhelming as well.
My concern is what the manga readers are hyping up to be a masterpiece. There're quite a few show that had this relatively "similar" concept too but I don't think I've a strong impression on any of those unfortunately.

I hope SnK proves to be otherwise because SnK is already a masterpiece to me so far.
I'm surprised to find out Wit won't be handling SnK next season onwards. I wonder why since the studio have been doing such a great job all along.

You are right. Manga readers tend to overestimate the plot, since it is more time consuming to read the manga you are either a real fan or would have dropped it at this point. For anime it is a different matter.
But I do hope it will become the masterpiece thats worthy of the episodes the anime showd us in this season.
Jun 10, 2019 4:07 AM

Apr 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Nim0174 said:

how do you do what? watch the stream? or speak japanese?
it would go against the site rules to advertise other sites
i can only tell you to use reddit or google for more information
if you meant the language barrier, then i can assure you that there actually are people capable of speaking the language who are not japanese xD
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 10, 2019 4:11 AM
Apr 2016
Nim0174 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

how do you do what? watch the stream? or speak japanese?
it would go against the site rules to advertise other sites
i can only tell you to use reddit or google for more information
if you meant the language barrier, then i can assure you that there actually are people capable of speaking the language who are not japanese xD

No I mean how do you watch NHK, unless you are Japanese? Is it available for streaming on the internet?
Jun 10, 2019 4:17 AM

Aug 2012
Episode 56 Endcard by Mai Teshima

Jun 10, 2019 4:18 AM

Jan 2015
@Modernoir Well I saw and liked both hxh and ssy, but I don't think there were that big of a shifts. Maybe in ssy, but it already had this end of the world vibe.

@keragamming Well, havent seen/read that one yet. I already loved aot, but Im a bit afraid about this big change, since I thought it was perfect so far, but lets hope it will be great :D
Jun 10, 2019 4:34 AM

May 2017
the reveal was done so well. Loved the transition between hange and grisha's voice.

Oh god, the after credit scene was so nice. Really hyped for the next episode. I forgot all about that incident on "That Day"
Jun 10, 2019 4:38 AM
Jan 2018
looks like the production problems from the 6 months are starting to show
Jun 10, 2019 4:42 AM
Feb 2019
People are so eager to know where the titans came from but I think they will be disappointed with the explanation. The history about how the walls came to be and the reason why are they being attacked is more important here.
Jun 10, 2019 4:53 AM
May 2019
0217 said:
They're really taking their bloody time with the pacing of these episodes, aren't they?

To be honest with you the pacing has been fast this entire season a couple slow episodes wont kill anyone they just want to end the season on a good spot
Jun 10, 2019 4:53 AM
Jul 2018
Arcos said:
ABDoesThings said:
Nah, most people were considering there'd be a cure or some sort of apocalyptic society. No one thought that humanity would be doing JUST FINE outside the walls and living the good life.

I thought that. Since the Ymir episode it was painfully obvious that there are 2 human factions that for some reason hate each other...but I just don't know why.
It's really wierd that the far inferior faction (humans inside the walls) are considered "evil". I mean is this some kind of concentration camp for "jew like people" and the people outside are compleltly nazi (and the royal familiys who keep their memorys are what...overseer?)? I thought about that since in this episode thise badges were shown on Grisha which reminded me on nazi germanys handling with the jews. And this anime takes place most likly in europe...so...
Well I hope my questions will be answered finally next week, the supsense is killing me

Yeah next week lol. However the after credits scene of this week's episode is single handed one of the most important moments in the entire story. The moment Eren's father decided to go past the wall.
Jun 10, 2019 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Mattinator95 said:
I'm fine with that as long as they adapt episode 88-90 perfectly.
Jun 10, 2019 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
I knew it. Other than where Eren currently lives, there are Humans more advanced!
Jun 10, 2019 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
Titanslayer18 said:
Modernoir said:
For manga readers only

I want to know! But I also don't want to! I can't click on the spoiler, but I want to! Well, year 2021 is so far, *sigh* I suppose I'll just read the manga, I really want to know the truth about Titans.
Jun 10, 2019 5:05 AM
Jan 2018
bet there people saying why didnt eren just turn into a titan to life the rock that was covering the basement
Jun 10, 2019 5:05 AM

Aug 2012
Mattinator95 said:

the ending credit scenes and the preview look good.
I think they will adapt the grisha backstory perfectly
This episode was mostly filler and slow placed. Not a important one
Jun 10, 2019 5:06 AM

Sep 2016
WE FINALLY REACH THAT DAMN BASEMENT
Jun 10, 2019 5:08 AM
May 2019
I still laughed despite having read the scene where levi basically goes "Fuck that door" and kicks it in, lol
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by ABUCCHIA »»
Jun 1, 8:26 AM

» Question for the attack on titan fans

Mooogle - May 11

25 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

736 by wibugar »»
May 9, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by GengarGrinn »»
Apr 26, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

548 by ARTisANexplosion »»
Apr 25, 8:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.