Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2018 7:04 PM
Jan 2016
This episode was something awesome, this art with that romantic story, so beautiful, i didnt expect an idea like that from Violet, but it worked so well, i really enjoyed this episode, was the best so far for me, of course that the last ones were really good too. I really felt for Charlote from her farewell of her personal maid, it was really sad. And the smile form Violet in the end of episode was so good to watch.

Nice flashback in teh end of episode, expecting more good episodes from this anime. :)
Feb 8, 2018 7:31 PM

Apr 2015
So cute!!!! Really reminded me of shoujo manga in general with the happy ending <3
Feb 8, 2018 7:40 PM

Nov 2008
WELL, THAT WAS JUST PRECIOUS.

BEST episode so far, very funny and cute from Violet stretching her face to her interactions with the princess to the princess's interactions with her prince, to the REACTIONS of all the shippers on deck reading the paper. XDDD Also we got a bit at the end to bring us into the highly anticipated events of Violet's dark past!!! who looks way more like 16-17 imho oh wellz she doesn't know herself tho

10/10 would watch again!

Did anyone get Aisaka Taiga flashbacks when you first meet Charlotte? No? Just me? XD
ChiibiFeb 8, 2018 7:46 PM

Feb 8, 2018 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Princess Charlotte (let’s just call her Charlie, people in this series has absurdly long names that are and will remain a pain to enunciate) was superbly adorable (and so was the prince, to be honest). I love how the minor characters in this series are all individualistic in their own rights, i’ll remember Charlie and Lucalia / Luca quite well!

At least Violet’s social prowess has gotten much better. Goodie goodie gumdrops.

Nice to see Gilbert’s hot brother. He’s mad tho.
Feb 8, 2018 7:57 PM

Oct 2013
The rest of the episode doesn't matter anymore as it all comes down to one thing:

SHE's AROUND 14 GUYS! Never change Japan.
Feb 8, 2018 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
This was better episode than the last couple of episodes. Still though.. not super impressive imo but that last scene Violet meeting someone enemy from the past was really something that caught my interest from this show for the first time! Hopefully the next episode continues from that scene!

Feb 8, 2018 9:03 PM
Jul 2017
Violet trying to smile in the beginning was hilarious. And wow, she has really improved in writing letters. But she's 14?? Thought she was 17 at the least.
I really loved the citizens' reactions to the letters. And I'm really loving Charlotte and Damien's relationship. And not gonna lie, that scene with Charlotte and Alberta with the ED playing was beautiful.
Violet finally smiled! Or has she smiled before this episode? I think this is the first time.
Wait, isn't that Dietfried guy Gilbert's brother? Why would Violet have killed his men? Can't wait to find out more.
Overall, awesome episode, 10/10
Feb 8, 2018 10:08 PM

Jan 2016
SalmonSandwich said:
At this point this adaptation is its own thing and I have accepted that.

This episode was very nice with the relationship with the princess and Violet, with Violet helping her romantic pursuit with a prince and slowly understanding human connections, and about love. Best part is that it didn't repeat really annoying narrative patterns like people being shocked about her prosthetic for the 5th episode and her doing her infamous "I need to know what love is so that is why im a doll" catch phrase to wrap up the episode again. Really liked the subtle progression with Violet faking a smile in the beginning to her putting on a natural smile by the end of the episode. Slow burning development but have to say in hindsight the last 3 episodes are paying off now after initially turning me off.

I guess Violet is roughly 14 did not expect her to be this young (she doesn't look 14?). Thought she was 16-18 in the novel but I might be remembering wrong. In the novel she was roughly 10 when Gilbert first met her, when she received the brooch she was 14, so I thought after the rehab she would be older.

Rather interesting placement of her meeting with Dietfried though, did not expect them to place this so early on in the story. Really excited now how this will play out since the timeline is now completely different (for novel readers quite curious what you think about
)

Zer0Death said:
Seems like this one is Original too. It was the best episode so far IMO, really liked it.

The last scene, however, is from the LN from what I can see. Is Dietfried this bitter in the novel ?

Agreed best original episode next to Luculia's. Novel details about the event you are asking about

I knew there was a reason for what she did in the past. Personally I would go for that route too, but not getting very far due to not being good with sharp objects.
Feb 8, 2018 10:47 PM

Dec 2010
For the comments on her age, while I would have preferred if she was older like around 17-18, for that industrial era the setting for the anime/LN is based on (except the typewriter used, which is a bit late historically for that era), it is quite common for people to be working at a very young age.

There also seems to be a lot of off-screen character progression, as the viewer only knows of a handful of letters, meanwhile it is implied that her few months work has resulted in a lot of letters and great improvement in her letter writing and speech interpretation. For some people this could be jarring or confusing without a closer step by step progression to link the development, while others are able to extrapolate and rationalize the progression in between episodes.

Edit: Unless stated in the LN (which may not apply anymore with the amount of original content this has seemingly gone with), there is no definitive number on Violets age as she states herself she was orphaned with no knowledge of her birth date.
Mystic_TwilightFeb 8, 2018 11:07 PM
Feb 9, 2018 1:22 AM
Sep 2017
Hopefully violet ends up with Benedict cause he is at least 18 yrs old or below. Cause i dont want my waifu to be marrying a 20+ yr old guy pls.😡

Feb 9, 2018 2:15 AM

Jul 2016
This episode is so beautiful and that moment when she smiled towards the end just stole mu heart

P.S. what that dick at the end said made me want to cut off his small dick
Feb 9, 2018 3:16 AM

Jul 2013
Best episode so far. I thought Princess Charlotte and Damien are perfect together! And finally, Violet smiling was the highlight!
Feb 9, 2018 4:37 AM

Aug 2016
This episode nearly made me cry, nearly.

That ending though can't wait for the next episode.

Set by SenpieX
Feb 9, 2018 5:12 AM

Apr 2016
ThreadFazer said:
Hopefully violet ends up with Benedict cause he is at least 18 yrs old or below. Cause i dont want my waifu to be marrying a 20+ yr old guy pls.😡

There is no definite evidence of Benedict's age, but I guess this quote is a hint...

Hodgins, when he first introduces Violet to Benedict and Cattleya, says this.

'Her age is closer to you guys, so I want you to get along.'

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 9, 2018 5:20 AM

Jan 2017
It was a beautiful episode and probably the best one thus far!
Feb 9, 2018 5:29 AM

Dec 2017
my oh my.. this scene haha
Feb 9, 2018 6:24 AM
Sep 2017
Major_Gilbert said:
ThreadFazer said:

There is no definite evidence of Benedict's age, but I guess this quote is a hint...

Hodgins, when he first introduces Violet to Benedict and Cattleya, says this.

'Her age is closer to you guys, so I want you to get along.'

well i read the spoilers..you lucky bastard 😂😂😡😡

Feb 9, 2018 7:58 AM

May 2016
The fact that she is 14 was really surprising I thought she would be at least 17.
Put the whole episode aside that ending was really interesting I can't wait for next week.
Feb 9, 2018 8:19 AM
Jan 2018
so there is a lot of people who hates and who loves this eps.

let me give u what i think in summary.

pros:
+violet shows development (5.8/10)
+this episode shows show good relation ships and good princess's romance story (7/10)
+in the end this episode shows a lttle of violet little past adn it make me curious af(8.5/10)
+VIOLET'S SMILE (14/10)

cons:
-violet still has the same infamous introduction as a doll (-5)
-violet leveled up from mentally retard to cattleya in 1 episode, and it feels like a turbo snail development (-9)
-this episode shows good emotion with the princess, but ONCE MORE violet feels like a garlic bread (-13)

so in the end i give 3/5
Feb 9, 2018 8:20 AM
Jan 2018
TrainLucifer said:
This episode is so beautiful and that moment when she smiled towards the end just stole mu heart

P.S. what that dick at the end said made me want to cut off his small dick

too late, violet had done it before
Feb 9, 2018 8:32 AM
Jan 2018
ManlyTear said:
The rest of the episode doesn't matter anymore as it all comes down to one thing:

SHE's AROUND 14 GUYS! Never change Japan.

I JUST REALIZED THAT SHE IS ILLEGAL
Feb 9, 2018 9:13 AM

Oct 2015
I was a bit surprised by how amazing letter Violet had written, but then I assumed it was due to time-skip. Apparently they didn't show us everything. If it's not the case, I'd be pretty disappointed since going from only writing military reports to nice love-letters is quite a big step.

So Violet is around 14, or so. I'm saying the same as everyone else; She looks much older. Well, it's a Japanese show. We should be happy that she wasn't revealed to be a guy.
It was the most interesting episode for me so far.

So, reading the comments, I'm guessing we might get the LN adaptation next week? Anyone who's read the manga, do you think they could fit the entire LN story in the remaining 9 episodes?
I'm really curious about the story of the LN, since it was hyped. If they don't adapt it, i might read it anyways, but I hope we get to see it in the anime.
Feb 9, 2018 11:24 AM
Mar 2009
Everybody surprised and blabber about Violet being 14.

Meanwhile im shedding some tears on the last charlotte scene where she's showing her gratitude to her lifetime nanny court maid, that such a beautiful yet strong scene.
Feb 9, 2018 1:26 PM
Mar 2015
It was a great episode, really. I loved the connection between Alberta and Charlotte. Somehow got me in my feels. Also something changed in Violet for me. Good one.

Also wonder what will happen in next episode between Violet and this guy.
Feb 9, 2018 1:36 PM

Sep 2016
Maybe it's just me, but the time skip (only several months at that) was a little too convenient for her to suddenly become a Pulitzer writer.
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 9, 2018 2:41 PM

Feb 2015
Very sweet episode! They told an interesting royal courtship arranged marriage story. I like how they're free to just go with an entire episodic story. It's a bit irrelevent to the plot but it was enjoyable. Nice characters. Although, it is kind of random that Violet is suddenly that good at writing letters that she is getting private work with royalty. That came out of nowhere; I thought she was still learning. Anyway, this cliffhanger is super intriguing. I'm excited for the next episode.
Feb 9, 2018 3:10 PM

Nov 2007
Fujimiya said:
Meanwhile im shedding some tears on the last charlotte scene where she's showing her gratitude to her lifetime nanny court maid, that such a beautiful yet strong scene.

I found the part more heartwarming than the apparent main plot of this standalone episode that is the marriage. I think her name being Alberta (renowned for Wild Rose) was the hidden message of the episode which was the real love story of this episode: a love story of a mother and a daughter who are not related by blood.

Btw, the episode had the best reception in Japan since episode 1. Can somewhat confirm from the comments and reviews from anikore and 2ch boards. For now it recovered from the big dip after episode 4. It is still the most revered show of the season.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 9, 2018 3:21 PM

Jun 2017
So Violet is basically a tamed Mikasa xD. I hope we get to know more about her past with the war and all.
Feb 9, 2018 5:19 PM

Oct 2015
We finally got to see Violet smile, until that that stupid man ruined it with the past.

I was touched by Alberta and Charlotte's moment, how she didn't want to leave.

Side note, that kingdom has no privacy for royal figures, by the way they read replies and publish them.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 9, 2018 5:50 PM

Jan 2018
This is an okay episode. I generally cared about everything other than the creepy romance (I know it was a product of the times, it's still creepy and weird, don't @ me). I really do hope we get more episodes dedicated to parental, familial and friendship types of love; they're the ones that really tear me up.

I enjoyed having more worldbuilding introduced at the beginning, however brief it was. I didn't read the novel, so I look forward to learning about the setting more over time, since that appears to be how the anime is presenting the world.

That ending really got me excited, though! I can't wait to see how it plays out.
Feb 9, 2018 6:04 PM

Jan 2008
I don't see why people are freaking out that Violet said she was 14. She didn't say it was for sure, only that it's a "probably" from her growing up as orphan not knowing her own age. So it's up in the air. I wouldn't get too hung up on that. And even if she was...whatever. Doubt their life expectency in that time period was all that long anyway, so it wouldn't be unusual for girls to marry before the men went off to war even as teens, with a high chance of them never coming back alive.

Cool to see Violet actually making leaps and bounds in progress in her writing skill to be not totally stiff.

I liked this episode more than the previous one, with my favorite being the scene with the princess and her maid/caretaker/mother figure that raised her. That was deep.

I had this expression seeing Gilberts brother popping out of nowhere like he was staking the pier out:

Really, man? ...As if was her choice that she herself made to be picked up by him when she was an orphan, with the intention of literally being trained and used as a disposable killing machine/child soldier in the war. And now the man himself is butthurt she killed his mates. That's fucking rich. It's like starving your pet dog while teaching it to bite the nuts off of every mailman that walks by, on top of beating it everyday, and expecting it to not bite the shit out of you someday. Unbeleiveable.

Every character I hate in this series so far, lacks self awareness.

The subs also messed up his name Dietfried as "Diethard" LOL. I'm not even mad; that's priceless.

Going to my box of smiles I wanna protect.
Estoy_GordoFeb 9, 2018 6:11 PM
Feb 9, 2018 7:00 PM
May 2015
The Alberta/Charlotte subplot was very charming.
Feb 9, 2018 8:47 PM
Jan 2016
Another beautiful episode!! So much emotion inside it. It's really sweet to watch the Prince and the Princess are trying so hard to become a perfect love-partner for each other. They didn't have much confident in themself, but thanks to Violet, it end really well. Yeah, I think you can fake words, but you can't fake love. And now we learn another thing from Violet, she's 14 and ex-killer, but I think the most important thing is the present and future, past is only a past, we can't change it.
Feb 9, 2018 9:04 PM

Jan 2017
Great episode I think.

And I'm glad to see Gilbert's brother. I wonder how this will play out.

Still waiting for the novel adaptations. I have hope since some are shown in the PV.
Feb 10, 2018 1:03 AM

Feb 2016
This season is really pushing my boundaries on age gaps haha..

Aside from that, it still seems like the backstory is a litlle more interesting.
Feb 10, 2018 1:49 AM

Sep 2016
Motherly love is the best, and they threw in romantic love in as well. Then we got that damn smile... Dammit Violet... I can't give this show an 11/10. I just can't... I mean, at the part when she bowed down I almost cried. Brilliant anime. No other words can better describe this.

Also, that end preview, makes me think we getting some action as well? God knows. It'd be interesting though. A 10/10 type of interesting. I'm just such a big fanboy XD
Feb 10, 2018 1:53 AM

Sep 2016
V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.
Wait so this is kind of an original anime? I thought it was the adaptation of the LN? I haven't read it so pls explain what's up...
Feb 10, 2018 2:17 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was really amazing and beautiful. As for the after credits, I kinda guessed that they will bring up Violet's past more soon enough.
Feb 10, 2018 3:58 AM

Sep 2013
How is that marriage between the princess and the prince supposed to be romantic? The age gap (considering how young the princess is) + the fact that they do not know each other that well just made it very creepy and uncomfortable to watch, especially since it was written in a way that was supposed to make the viewer find it "romantic"...

(Also why do these letters have to be made public? Violet only became good at writing letters by analyzing books statistically?)
I'm not sure if I want to keep watching the rest of the series...
Feb 10, 2018 4:39 AM
Nov 2017
Didn't enjoy the story of the princess a lot as it felt somewhat rushed but the character development for Violet was quite nice.
Feb 10, 2018 6:14 AM
Jun 2017
VIOLET JUST SMILED!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!
anyway another beautiful episode...
Feb 10, 2018 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
Just another episode of whining and unearned attempts to tug at the audience's heart strings.
I literally had a headache by the end of it.
Feb 10, 2018 9:09 AM

Apr 2016
Yasaal said:
V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.
Wait so this is kind of an original anime? I thought it was the adaptation of the LN? I haven't read it so pls explain what's up...

You could say that at this point. Only episode that followed the novel was episode 1... But they still changed quite a bit of that one as well... All the other ones are not from the novel except some of the flashbacks.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 10, 2018 9:33 AM

Feb 2012
5 eps now with violet evergarden, i dont get the criticism it gets. violet is slowly learning about emotion and love, character development is there. with the recent 2 episodes it gets clearer to me that many seem to have expected a full main character centric show while VE actually is rather episodic and crafts a new side story within each episode.

it manages beautifully to make you care about each character and new place we get introduced to within 1 short episode. meanwhile violet gets a step closer to her goal every time she spends time with different people and interacts with them. at the start of the show it wouldve been unthinkable for violet to understand what the princess truly wanted and act on it like she did now in episode 5.
Feb 10, 2018 11:28 AM

Apr 2009
Violet Fillergarden
Feb 10, 2018 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
I came here to scream because I still haven't recovered from this episode.

Really sad to see that not many people are talking about this on social media, likely because it isn't available in America yet.
Feb 10, 2018 12:53 PM
Dec 2017
Misaorin said:
How is that marriage between the princess and the prince supposed to be romantic? The age gap (considering how young the princess is) + the fact that they do not know each other that well just made it very creepy and uncomfortable to watch, especially since it was written in a way that was supposed to make the viewer find it "romantic"...

(Also why do these letters have to be made public? Violet only became good at writing letters by analyzing books statistically?)
I'm not sure if I want to keep watching the rest of the series...

I think in the past many relationships between people of the royal class were like that
Feb 10, 2018 1:16 PM
Jul 2013
chunng said:

Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.

Sono tori.
Shots fired at the end, can't wait to see where this will lead.
Feb 10, 2018 3:09 PM

Sep 2017
After quite a slow start, this show is starting to show some real development with Violet and possibly the future where she will have to face her past as an assassin. This was, by a longshot, the best episode we've had so far. I really hope that they keep it up.
Feb 10, 2018 3:29 PM
Dec 2014
Just got caught up and all I can say is every time Violet talks about wanting to know what love is I just hear this in my head:

alien6Feb 10, 2018 3:32 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Sep 18, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

292 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 29, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.