Forum Settings
Forums

Director Miyazaki Hayao Announced Retirement From Feature Length Film Making

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 1, 2013 1:45 PM

Jul 2009
pillsbury15 said:
At what? His only good film is 5cm He can only pull off Sappy Dramas hes worthless at anything else did you not watch the horrible mess that was Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo.

I'm not saying ALL Shinkai's movies are masterpieces, but neither Miyazaki's ones are ALL masterpieces.

masserati94 said:

The fact that you think Shinkai's movies are better than Miyazaki's is one thing, that's your opinion and I'm not going to criticise you for it (even though I don't agree with it).

But I think what you're failing to see here is that, regardless of whether you think Shinkai is better, Miyazaki has contributed way more to the industry than Shinkai has; he was involved in the industry since Shinkai was a boy and has served as a pioneer for anime in general - I doubt a lot of - wait, scratch that - any of Shinkai's works would even exist if it wasn't for Miyazaki and his incredible influence on not just anime, but the animation industry as a whole. Did you know that Shinkai's favorite film is actually Castle in the Sky? A film by Miyazaki (incidentally, the film you haven't seen). He's a huge follower of his works and the Miyazaki influence really shows in his films.

I'm not telling that Shinkai had contributed way more than Miyazaki, and thats not a reason for being "better" neither.

Another example would be Toriyama and his Dragon Ball, all influenced by Superman. If we follow this logic, if Superman wouldnt have existed, the Shounen as we know wouldnt exist neither?. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece?, so Superman is better for his incredible influence on Toriyama?. Everyone has been influenced by another, but everyone is different, Miyazaki is not better than Shinkai just for being his model.

We shouldnt praise a recenst project just for the influence of his previous works, not everything from Miyazaki is "gold".
Sep 1, 2013 1:54 PM

Jun 2013
Nooooooooo. I love his movies, they're just perfect. It's the end of all things. No more ingenious works. Nande? T_T
Sep 1, 2013 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
Limonene said:
Nooooooooo. I love his movies, they're just perfect. It's the end of all things. No more ingenious works. Nande? T_T

He'll probably still consult, do shorts, OVAs, TV, etc.
Sep 1, 2013 1:57 PM

Aug 2009
nooooo ;________;

but srsly what a great man ;~;
Nov 2008
Klonoa79H said:
Uh guys, remember that he said he would retire after Princess Mononoke... and Spirited Away... and Howl.... and Ponyo... and Wind Rises... okay, see a pattern here? He's retired at least 5 times, and the dude is 72, which is quite healthy, so I'm sure he'll pump out two more masterpieces before dropping of earth. Takahata on the other hand is 77, going on 78 this year, and his last film was My Neighbours, the Yamadas, which was 14 years ago, so I think Tale of Princess Kaguya is gonna be his Abbey Road. Plus, Miyazaki has said that Wind Rises isn't his last film, so theres hope for more.

A fairly popular reaction to this has been that we've heard this before, going at least as far back as when Miyazaki was making Princess Mononoke. My thing with that though is that while there's certainly precedent for Miyazaki changing his mind, AFAIR up until now talk of retirement has always come from Miyazaki talking freely himself. This time you've got the President of Studio Ghibli going out there and basically saying "he's done, folks" in front of press at what is apparently one of the biggest film festivals in the world. It seems to me that's significant, and frankly at 72 he's getting on in years and there's been talk about passing the torch to the next generation for a little while now. If not now, the time for that is very soon. I can believe we're truly at the end of an era here.

I'd note this doesn't mean he's going to stop working on animation though. The door is open for him working on smaller projects, and even if he's not creating movies on his own anymore I've seen nothing yet to suggest he may not still contribute as a screenwriter, storyboarder and so on. Even so, he'll be missed big time by me. But, honestly I'd rather see him step down and help the studio in a less active capacity than see him pass away in the midst of a project and see that potentially thrown into turmoil as a result. This strikes me as the smart move that needed to happen sooner or later. I really want Studio Ghibli to carry on beyond the careers of its founders.

Jun 2007
Glad to see his tree-hugging and hugely feminist agenda pushing habit will stop poisoning Ghibli. I'm not trying to be edgy, he's an openly hardcore feminist and it's impossible not to see that in every film he's worked on once you know that. It overshadows the characters, plot, and charm entirely - which sucks because Ghibli can do a lot better and has every time he's not involved.
Sep 1, 2013 2:10 PM
Aug 2013
Aww and I was just getting more into his movies too. Oh well everyone has to retire at some point.
Sep 1, 2013 2:24 PM

Mar 2012
A legend in the anime industry gone, good luck in the future! =(
skwok-ravenSep 1, 2013 2:30 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Sep 1, 2013 2:37 PM

Feb 2010
Now I'm glad I still haven't watched Borrowers Arriety :(
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2013 2:42 PM
Jan 2010

Firstly, I'm putting a spoiler around your post for length, no need to force other users to scroll through all of this after all - if you're going to reply, then I'd greatly appreciate if you do this too, thanks.

I never said that contributing more makes him better, and I never said that serving as his inspiration makes him better either, please don't put words into my mouth - my point was that, regardless of whether you think Shinkai is better than Miyazaki, Miyazaki's influence and dedication to the industry is so vast that him retiring is a huge thing, it's the end of an era, and it's going to send shockwaves through the animation industry as a whole for a while whilst Ghibli gets itself sorted out.

Regretfully, I neglected to put in my original post that this shouldn't turn into a "Who's better, Miyazaki or Shinkai?" thread (something I thought I did put in), and that we should just really have some respect that he's retiring from the feature film industry - looking at it, my post probably came across as overly hostile and a "I'll defend Miyazaki to the death!" post, which wasn't my original intention.

As for your other point, I can't necessarily your comparison is valid seeing as Dragonball definitely seems like the kind of thing that would be created regardless (and by that, I mean something hugely influential that pretty much defines how modern Shounen turn out), but I do understand what you're saying - but, as I mentioned before, I never said that serving as an inspiration makes something automatically better.

I also never said that we should praise a recent project just due to the influence of previous works, I'm not quite sure how that was implied.
Masserati_Sep 1, 2013 2:45 PM
Sep 1, 2013 3:35 PM

Aug 2011
2013 is a sad year for the anime industry....

Not only did many popular and favourite anime and manga end, but we also lose one of the most well know directors of this time :(

Miyazaki Hayao, enjoy (finally!) your retirement~
Sep 1, 2013 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Have a great retirement, thanks for everything
Sep 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Sep 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Glad to see his tree-hugging and hugely feminist agenda pushing habit will stop poisoning Ghibli. I'm not trying to be edgy, he's an openly hardcore feminist and it's impossible not to see that in every film he's worked on once you know that. It overshadows the characters, plot, and charm entirely - which sucks because Ghibli can do a lot better and has every time he's not involved.
I'll have to disagree bigtime with you here, yes his beliefs are very noticeable but to the extent where it makes the famale characters strong and independent, as for the tree hugger in him, thats only truly present in nausica and mononoke, miyazaki is a romantic and all of his films contain romanticsm as well as personification of the environment. Neither of these overshadow the plots and if anything they make them better cause since when has having strong female leads and worlds with personality been a bad thing in story telling. Your actually missing the big message thats in almost every single film hes made, and thats the anti-war messages, specifically on how our reliance on technology is leading to unnecessary and devastating conflicts. Those are way more present than any of the things you have mentioned. And again thats a good message to portray because its correct and the things he was writing about with future boy conan back in 1978 is still relevant with todays society 30+ years later.

Plus it seems while you focus so much on those aspects that your neglecting the things thats made him as beloved as he is, The imagination and magic in all the worlds hes helped create, the sense of adventure his films and television shows portray as well as his ability to tap into our inner innocence of us all no matter the age to give us the feeling of being a kid again learning about the world around us. I wont try to defend that each film hes made is some set in stone masterpiece that you have to agree with but why your saying these films dont reach that is invalid and misconstrued.
JizzyHitlerSep 1, 2013 4:03 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 1, 2013 4:06 PM

Jul 2009

Ok, i though your goal was deffending Miyazaki from "my attacks". if your post isnt a "I'll defend Miyazaki to the death!", then what is it? i havent offended Miyazaki, i havent said that Miyazaki's works are a faillure and he's doing fine by retiring, and i'm not denying that Miyazaki was a pioneer of Anime industry. I was just pointing out that i like more Shinkai's works than Miyazaki's, since in Japan is pretty common to compare thiese two directors, they goes so far by saying that Shinkai is the new Miyazaki. A mere and personal opinion.

masserati94 said:
..I never said that contributing more makes him better, and I never said that serving as his inspiration makes him better either please don't put words into my mouth ..

I'm not putting words into your mouth, tell me how i should interprete this?

masserati94 said:
I doubt a lot of - wait, scratch that - any of Shinkai's works would even exist if it wasn't for Miyazaki and his incredible influence on not just anime, but the animation industry as a whole

Arent you saying if it wasnt for Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai would have never existed?, how are you so sure about that?, It sounds like you're placing Miyazaki some steps up to Shinkai. Sorry but by what you wrote, i understand it like that.

masserati94 said:
As for your other point, I can't necessarily your comparison is valid seeing as Dragonball definitely seems like the kind of thing that would be created regardless

You were pointing that if it wasnt for Miyazaki, then Shinkai's works wouldnt have come to realize, right?. Oda and Kishimoto were heavily influenced by Toriyama, then it wouldnt normal following your logic, that Naruto and One Piece wouldnt even exist?, as well if Superman didnt exist, DB didnt?.

masserati94 said:
I also never said that we should praise a recent project just due to the influence of previous works, I'm not quite sure how that was implied.

I know, i was just pointing out the importance of being objective about the quality of the movie and not being influenced by the director/creator, in this case, Miyazaki himself. It wasnt refering to you specifically. Just a personal opinion.
VeneSep 1, 2013 4:09 PM
Sep 1, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2011
masserati94 said:
But I think what you're failing to see here is that, regardless of whether you think Shinkai is better, Miyazaki has contributed way more to the industry than Shinkai has; he was involved in the industry since Shinkai was a boy and has served as a pioneer for anime in general - I doubt a lot of - wait, scratch that - any of Shinkai's works would even exist if it wasn't for Miyazaki and his incredible influence on not just anime, but the animation industry as a whole. Did you know that Shinkai's favorite film is actually Castle in the Sky? A film by Miyazaki (incidentally, the film you haven't seen). He's a huge follower of his works and the Miyazaki influence really shows in his films.
Just because Shinkai's favorite film is Castle in the Sky is hardly grounds to make the outlandish claim that Shinkai movies wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Miyazaki.

Shinkai's style is very much his own, except in Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo, which is obviously very Ghibli-inspired. Other than that movie though, any possible Miyazaki influence doesn't really make itself apparent in any manner.
Sep 1, 2013 4:19 PM

May 2013
Well this is kind of disappointing.
:(
Oh well.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 1, 2013 4:29 PM
Nov 2008
Thank you Mr Miyazaki for all your hard work. :)
Sep 1, 2013 4:34 PM

Aug 2013
Good. He's in his 70s, he's done a lot of great work, and now it's time for him to go. He can't work forever.
Sep 1, 2013 4:39 PM
Jan 2010
DraconisMarch said:
masserati94 said:

Just because Shinkai's favorite film is Castle in the Sky is hardly grounds to make the outlandish claim that Shinkai movies wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Miyazaki.

Shinkai's style is very much his own, except in Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo, which is obviously very Ghibli-inspired. Other than that movie though, any possible Miyazaki influence doesn't really make itself apparent in any manner.

I wasn't making the claim purely based on Castle in the Sky being his favorite film - I was using it to refer to how it's films such as that that play a role in influencing his style, perhaps the claim that none of Shinkai's films would exist is too outlandish, but the point that I was trying to make was that, without Miyazaki, it's unlikely that Shinkai would have made the films he has made.
Sep 1, 2013 4:41 PM

Nov 2007
So sad when I read it.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 1, 2013 4:41 PM

Oct 2010
@DjIzzyIzzyHitler

Your post is great and all, but it's too clear to me that Tallon made some classy bait. I mean, his last phrase is contradicted by his own list.

@Bakura

I'm not trying to push my love of Miyazaki's works into your throat, but please and kindly stop acting like a hater when, by mere statistics, you are not. It's not a big deal to dislike Howl or Nausicaa; sure, they are highly regarded, but they also have their fair share of criticism among Ghibli and Miyazaki fans. You barely scratched the surface on what this guy has brought to anime, so what is the point you want to make?

@Thread

Well. I am kind of lost for words because these news remind me of how I started watching anime. Miyazaki was the first director I favorited and respected and four years later still, his works have left a huge impact on me and shaped my taste, and every time I watch a single scene, I feel once again warm inside.

Corny talk aside (sorry guys). I don't know if this one will be the definitive, but I have a feeling it is, if only due to everything that has been happening around The wind rises; along with the whole talk about replacement in Ghibli, the timing couldn't be more fitting. It's his decision and while I regret not being able to watch more films directed by him (still hope he'll work in production or doing other things), it's only understandable that a 72-year-old doesn't feel the energy and the interest to go on with this for longer.
Sep 1, 2013 4:43 PM

Oct 2010
D':
Sep 1, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2011
masserati94 said:
without Miyazaki, it's unlikely that Shinkai would have made the films he has made.
...Why not?
Sep 1, 2013 4:51 PM

Sep 2011
jal90 said:
@DjIzzyIzzyHitler
Your post is great and all, but it's too clear to me that Tallon made some classy bait. I mean, his last phrase is contradicted by his own list.
I wouldnt be surprised if it was either, Though from what iv seen of the guys views is that he channels a bit of a inner hipster in him most of the time so im more for hes being somewhat legit in saying what he did. Hence why i replied
JizzyHitlerSep 1, 2013 4:56 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 1, 2013 4:55 PM

Nov 2009
T.T I'll miss him and his works.
Sep 1, 2013 4:56 PM

Jul 2009
jal90 said:

@Bakura

I'm not trying to push my love of Miyazaki's works into your throat, but please and kindly stop acting like a hater when, by mere statistics, you are not. It's not a big deal to dislike Howl or Nausicaa; sure, they are highly regarded, but they also have their fair share of criticism among Ghibli and Miyazaki fans. You barely scratched the surface on what this guy has brought to anime, so what is the point you want to make?

Ok, now we have another..

Stop acting like a hater?, listen carefully, i'm not bragging the fact i disliked Howl and Nausicaa and i dont know how you jumped into that conclusion.
My first post in this thread was:

Bakura said:
The only movie i really liked from Miyazaki was Sen to Chihiro, the others i find them boring.

Makoto Shinkai is better, IMO.

Where is the such acting like a hater that you kindly ask to to stop?. Its better for you if you could interpret better the post of another members and dont easily jump into your fantastically conclusion.

The point i want to make?, this wasnt a discussion i had with you but with masserati94. The point is Miyazaki isnt the "creator" of Makoto Shinkai.
VeneSep 1, 2013 5:06 PM
Sep 1, 2013 5:04 PM
Jan 2010
Bakura said:

The point i want to make?, this wasnt a discussion i had with you but with masserati94. The point is Miyazaki isnt the "creator" of Makoto Shinkai.

Can you give me like, 10-15 minutes to get back to you on your post? Trying to deal with multiple conversations at once is pretty hard to manage.
Sep 1, 2013 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
@masserati94

Yep sure.
Sep 1, 2013 5:12 PM
Aug 2013
You shall be missed. :(
Sep 1, 2013 5:13 PM

Oct 2010
Sorry Bakura; that was definitely my bad. Since my initial focus for the post was different. I made a fast scroll through the thread, and mistook your posts for haterade arguments. Which looked in that sense a little inconsistant regarding your experience with Miyazaki. I wasn't meant to look pissed though, just pointing a disagreement which I guess came more aggresive as I didn't have a clear reason to do so.
Sep 1, 2013 5:22 PM
Jan 2010
DraconisMarch said:
masserati94 said:
without Miyazaki, it's unlikely that Shinkai would have made the films he has made.
...Why not?

Well, funnily enough, Shinkai actually stated in an interview with regards to Children who Chase Lost Voices that, as far as influences from anime go, Ghibli and Castle in the Sky in particular are where he draws inspiration from - at least as far as animation goes anyway, so if the man himself is saying that he draws inspiration from Miyazaki and Ghibli, then he probably is.

Here's the interview by the way, just in case you wanted a source: http://anime.about.com/od/creators/a/Makoto-Shinkai-Otakon-2011-Press-Panel.htm
Sep 1, 2013 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
@jal90

Its ok dude, it happens between so many posts.
Sep 1, 2013 6:04 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
741shadow said:
Was it because of the controversies around Kaze Tenchu
You mean the controversy of it showing smoking in the movie? Oh yes, this is actually the biggest controversy of the film in Japan LOL
If that's what you say... you are quite ignorant. Because I personally think Kaze Tenchinu just showed huge limitition of Miyazaki Hayao, not being able to escape from stereotypical view of Japanese seeing war. Edited: Controversy coming from the series is not just a single fact it is 'Zero-sen' that is featured as something that protagonist pursuits and dreams, which was nothing more than a tool of inhuman war of Japan.

I think vision he had when he was making Mononoke-hime and Nausica has hazed significantly in this film regardless. I think it is time for him to retire. Have to let him go when he was supposed to retire even long time ago. Unfortunate incident with death of his successor caused him to stay until now.
KitchiriSep 1, 2013 6:15 PM
Sep 1, 2013 6:27 PM

Apr 2013
It's really sad to know a great story-teller of our time is bowing out, but he had a very good run and probably lives comfortably. He deserves to retire, even though we are going to miss him very much. I still see Studio Ghibli coming out with good films, though, so we'll see what happens in the near future.

Either way, thanks so much for giving us these inspiring, beautiful stories, Mr. Miyazaki. You shall be missed, but your legacy will not be forgotten.
Sep 1, 2013 6:28 PM
Jan 2010

I said 10-15 minutes, this thing took me almost an hour, now I feel sad. Also Bakura, I probably should state the obvious and point out that I didn't quote all of what you said, I'm not quite sure how the whole quoting thing works on MAL so I just put everything you said in speech marks and highlighted where you're speaking.

Bakura
"Ok, i though your goal was deffending Miyazaki from "my attacks". if your post isnt a "I'll defend Miyazaki to the death!", then what is it? i havent offended Miyazaki, i havent said that Miyazaki's works are a faillure and he's doing fine by retiring, and i'm not denying that Miyazaki was a pioneer of Anime industry. I was just pointing out that i like more Shinkai's works than Miyazaki's, since in Japan is pretty common to compare thiese two directors, they goes so far by saying that Shinkai is the new Miyazaki. A mere and personal opinion."

I'm well aware that you didn't say any of that - as I mentioned before, I'm not going to criticise your opinion purely because I disagree with you, you're entitled to liking Shinkai more than Miyazaki if you want, that's your opinion, and even though I don't agree with it, I'm not going to say "Well, your opinion is wrong". I also mentioned that I wasn't trying to turn this into a "Miyazaki vs Shinkai" thread either (even though I neglected to do so the first time), and that we should just have some respect for the fact that Miyazaki is retiring from feature films (I think this is like, the second time I've said this?).

If anything, I probably mis-interpreted your statement as someone hating on Miyazaki rather than respecting what he did for the animation industry as a whole, there was an earlier post in the thread (on page 4 to be exact) that made me really angry because it was just such a disrespectful thing to read, not even a "Well, I can't say I like his movies, but it's a shame he has to go" kind of thing, just stating outright that they hate Miyazaki - and I was probably still angry when I read what you put as I thought it was a similar thing going on. When I read it, it seemed like you were trying to start a Miyazaki vs Shinkai thread due to the Shinkai statement, and I wanted to avoid that.

Bakura
"I'm not putting words into your mouth, tell me how i should interprete this?"

It definitely seemed that way at the time, it looked like you were implying that I was suggesting things that I really wasn't.

Bakura
"Arent you saying if it wasnt for Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai would have never existed?, how are you so sure about that?, It sounds like you're placing Miyazaki some steps up to Shinkai. Sorry but by what you wrote, i understand it like that."

Well I obviously don't mean that Shinkai would have never existed, I'm not the parents after all, there's a good chance that, even without Miyazaki, they would have given birth to Shinkai anyway (sorry, I had to do that, the way you worded it was too good of an opportunity to pass up). Well there's certainly a chance that it could have happened, Shinkai's stated in an interview (which is also in this thread) that his main inspiration, as far as anime goes, is Miyazaki and Ghibli, and if the man himself is stating that he's influenced by Miyazaki and Ghibli, then I think we can assume it's true. Could I say his works wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Miyazaki with 100% certainty? No, I doubt I could, the claim was perhaps too outlandish and I was pretty angry when I wrote it, so that probably had some influence on it - if I had stuck with what I was going to say before "A lot of Shinkai's films probably wouldn't be here", then I don't think we'd be discussing that point in quite so much detail.

Bakura
"You were pointing that if it wasnt for Miyazaki, then Shinkai's works wouldnt have come to realize, right?. Oda and Kishimoto were heavily influenced by Toriyama, then it wouldnt normal following your logic, that Naruto and One Piece wouldnt even exist?, as well if Superman didnt exist, DB didnt?."

I actually looked up what you had said because I wasn't aware that DB had been influenced by Superman in some way, and, after looking it up and finding the influence, honestly, I think that's more of a superficial thing than anything else - maybe it's a bit too much like Superman's backstory to have not been influenced by it in some way - but I stand by what I said, DB did not need Superman to be created; had you however, suggested the possibility of DB existing without Journey to the West (the Chinese story upon which most of DB is based), then I would have been forced to seriously think about it, and probably come to the conclusion that, if there was no Journey to the West, then there would have been no Dragon Ball seeing as that story influenced a lot of the start of Dragon Ball. Besides, you're forgetting that, despite DB's influence, there were a LOT of other Shounen titles that helped to define modern Shounen (most of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Rurouni Kenshin, Fist of the North Star...there are a lot of titles that played just as big a role as Dragon Ball). Do I think that, if it wasn't for Toriyama's influence, One Piece and Naruto wouldn't exist? I'm unsure, Nobuhiro Watsuki probably played more of a role on defining everything else in One Piece aside from the main character, and Naruto originally ripped off Harry Potter.

Bakura
"I know, i was just pointing out the importance of being objective about the quality of the movie and not being influenced by the director/creator, in this case, Miyazaki himself. It wasnt refering to you specifically. Just a personal opinion."

Right, fair enough.

Also, seeing as this post is getting waaaay too long and I really can't be bothered to do any more long posts like this on the forums, if you do reply can we switch it to profile messaging? I think it'd be a lot more convenient for everyone, plus it saves time having to go through page after page of reply, makes the discussion much more manageable.
Masserati_Sep 1, 2013 6:31 PM
Sep 1, 2013 6:30 PM

Mar 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
Sep 1, 2013 7:15 PM
Aug 2013
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Dask said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Don't know who he is since I haven't watch his films before, but dang that is sad.

How have you not seen any of his films?

I used to watch disney as a kid, or I wasn't born/saw the films yet. So I am very new to this guy he makes.

Mod Edit: Merged posts. Please do not double post.

I grew up watching A LOT of Disney too, I am aware of him though, but only because he was mentioned in school :D (that's around, just 3 years ago, you could say I'm quite new), and I'm not past 18 years old. He inspired a lot of current animators,a lot of Japanese and some others compare him to Walt Disney I think.

It's so sad that he's retiring.. THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT MOVIES!! :)
Sep 1, 2013 7:24 PM
May 2013
Sad. :(
Sep 1, 2013 7:32 PM

May 2011
A legacy is what he gave us.
Sep 1, 2013 7:40 PM

Sep 2008
Sad news but he is getting old so this was to be expected.

Hopefully Studio Ghibli can still make great movies after this.
Sep 1, 2013 8:12 PM

May 2013
:( no I love his movies, I love studio Ghibli, those movies got me into anime
Sep 1, 2013 9:23 PM

Feb 2010
Dask said:
GoldenthunderBRS said:
Don't know who he is since I haven't watch his films before, but dang that is sad.

How have you not seen any of his films?

I actually haven't either.
Sep 1, 2013 9:50 PM

Jun 2009
i can't
Sep 1, 2013 9:55 PM

Jun 2013
This is at least the fourth time he's "retired."

The first was in '98, after the release of Mononoke Hime and Yoshifumi Kondou's sudden, premature death. That scared him, but in the end, without Kondou, and with Isao Takahata (five years older than Miyazaki) winding down as well, the studio needed Miyazaki.

The second was after Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, which was supposed to be his final film. Once again, though, with Takahata being inactive, it would have left Ghibli without and active director.

The Third was after Howl's Moving Castle, when they tried to transition to his son Gorou. Tales from Earthsea put an end to that experiment.

Even after Ponyo, I think it was widely believed that he was done directing, if not necessarily writing.

He'll be back yet again, because Ghibli still doesn't have anyone else. Gorou has been on a short leash ever since the Earthsea debacle. Hiromasa Yonebayashi has directed, but lacks writing credentials. It says something about the studio's prospects that Takahata has his first film since 1999 coming out in November, by which time he'll be 78.

Unless and until Ghibli can find a competent successor, he'll keep getting dragged back into the productions. He'll probably die making films.
Sep 1, 2013 10:30 PM
Jul 2018
Well, it was inevitable - we all gotta settle down sometime.
I still have yet to watch all of Ghibli's films, but from what I have seen, I have to say they are some of the most splendid pieces of entertainment I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki, both are fantastic directors.
Sep 1, 2013 11:00 PM

Jul 2012
A great man, I hope he lives peacefully in retirement. :)
Sep 1, 2013 11:13 PM

Feb 2013
AzuriteMal said:

Unless and until Ghibli can find a competent successor, he'll keep getting dragged back into the productions. He'll probably die making films.

And this is why I wish this retirement to, indeed, actually be a retirement. Unless he really wants to die making films, I'll happily wave farewell to him and and have him in my memories. All ages pass, and that's a good thing. Princess Mononoke has been my favorite film for quite some time.
Sep 1, 2013 11:38 PM

Jun 2010
UGH My heart is broken.
Sep 1, 2013 11:45 PM

Nov 2009
Tis a dark day for the quality of anime.
Sep 1, 2013 11:52 PM
Dec 2011
oh...my....god....I'm so upset this man was like a god in anime industry.....i loved everything that he made or took part in as a producer because he knows what announced needs and his stories touches every generations without age limits.every time i watched his movies i feel so strong about everything around me and life seem so beautiful.each of his work was a brilliant masterpiece that gives a massage BIGGER THAN LIFE IT SELF.i really going to miss him so much....i mean two of GHIBLI movies came out i thought wow....he will make more then BOOM this happen...I WAS SO SHOCKED I JUST DIDNT BELIEVED IT.. i hoped he made more movies that made everyone feel like a human again..i mean the movies are so warm,magical and realistic at the same time...the way characters reacted to their situation you cant help but think "i would do the same if this happen to me" THAT'S WHY I SAY HE JUST TOUCHED HUMAN SOUL" and knew what we wanted.i love you and hope you have a long healthy life full of happiness MR.MIYAZAKI no its MIYAZAKI SENSEI :3 i am very upset but hope his son will bring some magic :3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Yesterday

40 by DarkDooM2 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

27 by Ketereles »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Reveals Production Staff, Theme Songs, Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - May 24

9 by Calal-Chan »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - May 23

21 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
Yesterday, 7:57 AM

» TOHO Strengthens Animation Division with Acquisition of Science SARU

Vindstot - May 24

12 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.