Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 16, 2012 12:37 AM

Oct 2009
Ok, you guys dig Gons psyche, so explain to me why did Gon save that guy on a boat? I can think of couple explanations, but I'd like to hear it from people who came up with walls of text on the subject. Thanks.
coldwaveMay 16, 2012 12:42 AM
May 16, 2012 12:57 AM

Mar 2012
coldwave said:
Ok, you guys dig Gons psyche, so explain to me why did Gon save that guy on a boat? I can think of couple explanations, but I'd like to hear it from people who came up with walls of text on the subject. Thanks.

No. Let's hear YOUR great theories.
Gon saved Katsu because he didn't really lose anything if he didn't, unlike the badge. Sometimes his pride keeps him butthurt, which results in his being self-centered.
End Zionazism
May 16, 2012 9:55 AM

Sep 2010
Note the part "IF things go bad, i'll change my plans". He is still MORE concerned in getting the badge than you know, letting his friends know they're being targeted. Now imagine if Gon never met the two...

In order to get Hisoka's badge, Gon sacrificed two applicants. He didn't do anything to help but wait for the moment to strike. All this happened in the 4th phase. Would this type of person "cuddle" a friend in the 1st phase?

Gon wasn't thinking about his friends dying or letting them get killed by Hisoka.All he wanted was for Hisoka to be distracted enough to allow the plan to work. Gon just wanted his friends to put up a fight.(what could have happened during the fight is just your speculation.) He believes his friends to be capable fighters, not lambs to the slaughter.

May 16, 2012 10:37 AM

Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:

Gon wasn't thinking about his friends dying or letting them get killed by Hisoka.All he wanted was for Hisoka to be distracted enough to allow the plan to work. Gon just wanted his friends to put up a fight.(what could have happened during the fight is just your speculation.) He believes his friends to be capable fighters, not lambs to the slaughter.

He believes his friends are capable people, that's why it's SOOOOO out of character for 1999 series to change Gon into a worried-sick typical boy who asked Tomba to carry Leorio during the marathon session. Argh that's just so awful.

Gon saved the guy on the boat out of instinct and arrogance, that's very Gon.
The 1999 series' "not-stealing, condescending his friend, victimized losing-his-shit frightened child" is not Gon.

How off was the 1999 series? I remember reading so many reactions of the 1999 series-only people complaining how 'cold' and what a jerk Gon is in the 2011 version. :/

The walls of text is to elaborate (from request) on examples of the pretty major characterization twisting the 1999 series did (there're more on Killua), which I thought was a general consensus among fans of the manga/Japanese fandom. I guess lots of 1999 series fans were completely oblivious. The 1999 series' director was more interested in Kurapika's story anyway, the thematic focus was shifted and he just didn't understanding Togashi's work too well. That's why you get a conventional, feel-good washing of Gon character (and a cheesy 'dark' portrayal of Killua) and that awful corny feel good Shipwreck filler that's very anti-Togashi.

The 1999 series adaptation failed in many ways, that's why it's good for us manga fans to get another interpretation for the 2011 series. The portrayal of Gon alone is worthy for a re-telling and so far Madhouse is doing a good job. I can barely sit through the non-Spider parts of the 1999 series in the first run (the GI part afterward sucks too), let alone re-watching it argh...
kcacoMay 16, 2012 12:43 PM
May 16, 2012 11:08 AM

May 2012
Anime_Name said:
Note the part "IF things go bad, i'll change my plans". He is still MORE concerned in getting the badge than you know, letting his friends know they're being targeted. Now imagine if Gon never met the two...

In order to get Hisoka's badge, Gon sacrificed two applicants. He didn't do anything to help but wait for the moment to strike. All this happened in the 4th phase. Would this type of person "cuddle" a friend in the 1st phase?

Didn't Gon already see Leorio completely outmatched against Hisoka in the 1st phase?
May 16, 2012 11:15 AM
May 2012
coldwave said:

I would love to but your manners just killed that helpful part of me. You see, when you're asking for something, don't insult that someone you're asking a favor to. "People who came up with walls of text"... really? I'll take a note that I need to provide pics when explaining something from now on. Books must be a pain for you to read.

Anime_Name said:

How blind can you get? Are we talking about the same Hisoka here? The Hisoka who has no qualms killing applicants while playing examiner? Heck, he even has the guts to challenge the Hunters themselves.

Anyone who encounter Hisoka gets killed. Thinking that somehow Kurapika and Leorio won't die/get killed is DUMB especially when Hisoka specifically went to "hunt".

What happened to the 4th exam phase just summed up on what Killua said on episode 30:
“I have a feeling he [Gon] enjoys the thrills…” - Killua

“You say that he was enjoying a situation that could cost him his life?” - Wing

“Yeah. I know because I’ve felt the same way. Although I take circumstances into consideration, too. Once he’s in the zone, he loses sight of everything else.
May 16, 2012 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
kcaco said:

The new series change the chewing to a 'safer' back scratching...the idea is still there, not the same wtf impact but still wtf.

Nothing has been changed as the back scratching was present in the manga.

LunaMay 17, 2012 1:07 AM
May 16, 2012 1:00 PM

Sep 2010
bleachjoj said:
Anime_Name said:

Didn't Gon already see Leorio completely outmatched against Hisoka in the 1st phase?

He did but where does that mean Gon thought Leerio and Kurapica at the hands of Hisoka would be okay so long as he got Hisoka's badge? That was your assumption and not present in the manga.

How blind can you get? Are we talking about the same Hisoka here? The Hisoka who has no qualms killing applicants while playing examiner? Heck, he even has the guts to challenge the Hunters themselves.

He may not have qualms about killling but that doesn't mean he goes around killing everyone in his sights. Which is why you seem upset that Hisoka didn't kill Leerio and Kurapica when he was talking with them in the woods. Sorry but Hisoka tries to use more reason and guile when killing and doesn't just do it because he can all the time.

“Yeah. I know because I’ve felt the same way. Although I take circumstances into consideration, too. Once he’s in the zone, he loses sight of everything else.”

He isn't always in the zone and frequently will just wait until he feels it is the right time to pop. It could be 10sec or 10 years before he decides to kill a person.

How off was the 1999 series? I remember reading so many reactions of the 1999 series-only people complaining how 'cold' and what a jerk Gon is in the 2011 version. :/

Dunno what you mean. My comment you quoted was about one scene and Gon's intentions as found in the manga and it's interpretation, comparing the 2 series is needed there. If you want to compare the two series then find a quote from me or someone else doing just that.

May 16, 2012 2:17 PM
May 2012
Anime_Name said:
He did but where does that mean Gon thought Leerio and Kurapica at the hands of Hisoka would be okay so long as he got Hisoka's badge? That was your assumption and not present in the manga.

Oh? It wasn't "present" in the manga? What was this line again?

"IF things go bad, I'll change my plans." - Gon

Gon himself said/decided that he will ONLY change plans (getting Hisoka's badge), IF things go BAD... and what level of "bad" Gon talks about may range from broken bones to decapitated heads.

Anime_Name said:
He may not have qualms about killling but that doesn't mean he goes around killing everyone in his sights. Which is why you seem upset that Hisoka didn't kill Leerio and Kurapica when he was talking with them in the woods. Sorry but Hisoka tries to use more reason and guile when killing and doesn't just do it because he can all the time.

Regardless of my personal feelings (Me, upset? Puh-leese. I'll be more upset if Hisoka actually killed the two because I'll have less toys to play with), it doesn't change the canon that Hisoka did indeed "killed everyone in his sights" during the 1st phase.

His reason? He was BORED. Wow! Very reasonable... for a CRAZY person.

Anime_Name said:
“Yeah. I know because I’ve felt the same way. Although I take circumstances into consideration, too. Once he’s in the zone, he loses sight of everything else.”

He isn't always in the zone and frequently will just wait until he feels it is the right time to pop. It could be 10sec or 10 years before he decides to kill a person.

This is just so sad... Apparently, you also suffer from lack of reading comprehension. No wonder you need things spelled out for you in order for you to get it.

Keep it up, Anime_Name. It's really fun playing with you. You're doing a good job demonstrating how an unreasonable person act.

For a manga hailed to be an intelligent and mature shounen, it surely attracts dumb and immature fans. Fortunately, I only belong to the latter.
May 16, 2012 2:46 PM

Oct 2011
Anime_Name said:

Or, y'know, the Chimera Ant arc. Wherein
May 16, 2012 3:12 PM

Sep 2010
Oh? It wasn't "present" in the manga? What was this line again?

"IF things go bad, I'll change my plans." - Gon

Gon himself said/decided that he will ONLY change plans (getting Hisoka's badge), IF things go BAD... and what level of "bad" Gon talks about may range from broken bones to decapitated heads.

The fun thing is even when translated into English most manga are still meant to be read right to left. So in this case Gons says, " No I can't. IF things go bad, I'll change my plans." which doesn't really seem like he is entertaining the idea of letting Leerio and Kurapica die just because of a badge. Oh he thinks about them possibly dying but will change his plan if anything like that happens.Gon didn't assume Hisoka would kill or beat both of his friends just because Hisoka is Hisoka. He was thinking fight not killing and mentally thought those two had some kind of chance. Which is what the "IF" means. "If things goes wrong" assumes that things could also go right.

Regardless of my personal feelings (Me, upset? Puh-leese. I'll be more upset if Hisoka actually killed the two because I'll have less toys to play with), it doesn't change the canon that Hisoka did indeed "killed everyone in his sights" during the 1st phase.

The part when you put "DUMB" in all caps looks like shouting in text and typically shouting is tied to be emotional and I just guessed you were trying to demonstrate how upset you were over those events.

Hisoka still doesn't go around killing just because he can all the time. Oh yeah he killed a bunch at the start of the trials but after that he generally stopped and took a more precision approach.

For a manga hailed to be an intelligent and mature shounen, it surely attracts dumb and immature fans. Fortunately, I only belong to the latter.

I am unsure you know what the term mature means when you readily insult and start name calling when some people disagree with you...

Toto_y_Moi

Yeah I got to caught up talking about Hisoka and for some reason applied that quote to him. Apparently making a mistake like that makes one immature and dumb...

May 16, 2012 3:54 PM
May 2012

Appropriate pic for a very loltastick thread. Ladies and gentlemen, the bully just crossovered to playing the victim!

@Anime_Name

I'm thinking of replying but we'll just be going round and round and round. Because the post below just sealed the deal that I'll just be wasting time explaining something to you:

Anime_Name said:
fanimanga said:

I am unsure you know what the term mature means when you readily insult and start name calling when some people disagree with you...

I'm actually calling myself immature so... Talk about lack of reading comprehension skillz. =/

I'm disappointed in you. Already gave up in just 3 replies? Now I have to wait for the next ep to air so I can bait my other playthings.
May 17, 2012 8:31 AM

Oct 2009
fanimanga said:

I would love to but your manners just killed that helpful part of me. You see, when you're asking for something, don't insult that someone you're asking a favor to.

Wait, "wall of text" is an insult? I didn't know. Sorry, no sarcasm or anything.
May 17, 2012 3:57 PM
May 2012
coldwave said:
fanimanga said:

I would love to but your manners just killed that helpful part of me. You see, when you're asking for something, don't insult that someone you're asking a favor to.

Wait, "wall of text" is an insult? I didn't know. Sorry, no sarcasm or anything.

No, it's not but in the context of what you wrote, it came of as an insult. See the "people who came up with walls of text"; the word "came up" comes across as "shallow thinking" and thus the word, "walls of text" implied "gibberish thoughts not worth reading".

If this is not your intention then I also apologize for insulting you back. Let bygones be bygones, yeah? And on that note, I apologize to the community for taking it too far just to prove a point to those who derive pleasure in "bullying" others.

I still want to hear your theories regarding Gon saving the guy on the boat, btw, if you still want to talk about it.
May 20, 2012 4:12 PM

Aug 2011
STFU commentator.

I actually think the censoring has been handled very well, much better than a lot of censoring I've seen in other shows. That Gon being a jerk theory is really interesting and I hope it's true. He's a very generic character on the surface so I really hope he's a total jerk underneath. I love how he gets excited when he hears how powerful Hisoka is and how he doesn't care about people being murdered in front of him but apart from that he's pretty ordinary.
May 21, 2012 5:42 AM
May 2012
Neowu said:
I actually think the censoring has been handled very well, much better than a lot of censoring I've seen in other shows. That Gon being a jerk theory is really interesting and I hope it's true. He's a very generic character on the surface so I really hope he's a total jerk underneath. I love how he gets excited when he hears how powerful Hisoka is and how he doesn't care about people being murdered in front of him but apart from that he's pretty ordinary.

Well, Gon is a jerk but not a total jerk. He IS selfish in a sense that he will always choose HIS own plans/interests/goals over other people's only if they happen to clash/get in the way of his. However, if the above scenario isn't the case, he is even willing to give up his life for other people if it's what it takes.
May 21, 2012 7:07 AM

Aug 2011
fanimanga said:
Neowu said:

Well, Gon is a jerk but not a total jerk. He IS selfish in a sense that he will always choose HIS own plans/interests/goals over other people's only if they happen to clash/get in the way of his. However, if the above scenario isn't the case, he is even willing to give up his life for other people if it's what it takes.

I'll have to start taking more note of his behavior from now on. I guess you are right he's not a total jerk but he does always do what he want and often breaks promises which a lot of main characters normally put a lot of priority on.
May 21, 2012 10:28 AM

Sep 2010
I'm disappointed in you. Already gave up in just 3 replies? Now I have to wait for the next ep to air so I can bait my other playthings.

Didn't give up, I just don't spend all my days siting online 'chatting' it up.
There isn't much to give up on here as what you're doing isn't much of a discussion. I post points and counters to your interpretations and all you do is 'lol', insert stupid pictures, sling insults, and act superior but don't contribute anything in the way of actual conversation beyond pretending your points are unassailable.

May 21, 2012 3:59 PM
May 2012
Neowu said:
fanimanga said:
Neowu said:

I'll have to start taking more note of his behavior from now on. I guess you are right he's not a total jerk but he does always do what he want and often breaks promises which a lot of main characters normally put a lot of priority on.

Yeah, other protagonists even set aside their initial goals or totally leave their dreams behind for the sake of their "special" person... hee
May 23, 2012 1:02 AM
May 2007
Kastro's voice does surprisingly suit him, such a gentleman.
I'd kill to get a Hisoka fight ticket too! He's too tall, fighting with high-heels is such a turn on.
May 23, 2012 3:26 PM

Jul 2009
It's a shame there was no blood coming from Hisoka's severed arm but you can't have it all I guess. Other than that the fight was great :P
May 23, 2012 3:36 PM

Aug 2009
Zell182 said:
It's a shame there was no blood coming from Hisoka's severed arm but you can't have it all I guess. Other than that the fight was great :P

At least they've censored it wisely by using nen.
Jun 24, 2012 8:46 PM

Nov 2011
Kastro would have been my favorite Dragonball Z character if he hadn't appeared in Hunter X Hunter instead. Too bad he reminds me too much of the guy from InuYasha to look at him.

...Since when has Hisoka been my favorite character? He's ...awesome?
Jul 15, 2012 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
27CansOfTuna said:

I still love the way attack names flash up on the screen in combat. Nice feature that other anime ought to adopt. Kind of wish there was a bit more originality though, shadow clone jutsu in my hxh? Why?

Censoring is still questionable, the anime can show blood but they revert back to gold reishi particles?

Oh and Cocco is an awesome emcee.

Check your facts, Naruto was very obviously influenced by this series. Or, rather, the manga that was released before.

The fact that Hisoka was scratching his shoulder with his severed arm should says a lot about how this will turn out.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 15, 2012 1:02 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 24, 2012 9:48 AM

Jul 2011
It would be good if -atleast- a lil blood came it.. I might consider cutting my arm just to watch the "Dust" Flow :P
Aug 4, 2012 5:55 PM

Dec 2008
I like it how they explain nen in the begining of all chapters! =)
^_~
Aug 4, 2012 5:58 PM

Mar 2012
Qaos said:
It would be good if -atleast- a lil blood came it.. I might consider cutting my arm just to watch the "Dust" Flow :P

Don't. You're not fabulous enough...
End Zionazism
Aug 7, 2012 10:35 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty intense episode, Hisoka keeps his cool even when he's getting beaten up. Well at least it looks like we'll finally get too see him try.
Jun 8, 2013 8:23 PM

Nov 2011
Would be cool if they showed the previous match between Hisoka and Castro tbh. Anyways, nice match so far. Hisoka losing his arm doesn't seem to faze him one damn bit though...
Jul 26, 2013 3:59 PM
Jul 2012
For those people bitching or complaining about blood shut the fuck up and deal with it and should remember Hisoka's appearance.

Damn these cliffhangers man. That fight was great. Can't wait on who will win this battle!

4.5/5
LegendGoldDarkJul 26, 2013 4:02 PM
Dec 11, 2013 1:33 AM

Jan 2012
liked the introduction of kastro and hope things dont end poorly for him since hisoka is obviously gonna kick ass
also LOL cause hisoka scratched his shoulder with the amputated hand. def a fav villain.

cant wait for killua to find motivation to battle - i really want to see him own ass, though its interesting how he's more of a quiet in-the-shadow killer while gon is like the dragon ball z tourney adrenaline hog
Dec 13, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2013
cantius said:
Not an interesting fight.
Hisoka agrees with that sentiment. :U
Jan 1, 2014 12:33 AM

Jul 2013
Its good to see Hisoka being beaten from time to time. Though I think Kastro will die in this battle.
May 6, 2014 4:34 PM

Jan 2011
ive seen some weird forms of censoring but this is the first time ive seen someone bleed gold dust
anyways i wonder what Hisoka gonna do to fix his arm, its obvious this wont be a permanent injury
May 27, 2014 2:30 PM

Jul 2007
Oh man this is the fight I been waiting to see. It seemed like kastro had the upper hand, but hisoka found out his strategy and that he was using a doppelganger and not just an illusion. I love watching Hisoka’s fights, he’s like impossible to outwit, he always seems like he’s one step ahead of anyone he crosses paths with. The guy is just a genius .

Next episode is probably going to be one of the best episodes ive yet seen in this series

Jun 25, 2014 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
Hisoka doesn't even mind losing an arm. He must know how to reattach it.
The highest level fight yet.
Jul 11, 2014 10:49 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hisoka just doesn't give a fuck. Not fazed even one bit...
RediceRyan said:
He must know how to reattach it.

Lol that's what I thought too.
Anyways, I was kind of expecting to see more Kurapika but Hisoka vs. Kastro fight is pretty awesome too.
Sep 6, 2014 5:04 PM

Apr 2013
Finally there is someone who can punch Hisoka in the face twice.
Dec 21, 2014 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
Let me bet, Hisoka will be able to put back his arm like nothing happened, because he's fucking magician. In the end, Hisoka will obviously win. Why do I know that? Because if Hisoka lose, he'll have 4 defeat and Gon will be unable to fight him in the tournament since he'll be disqualified!
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 17, 2015 3:22 PM

Jun 2009
minouneetzoe said:
Let me bet, Hisoka will be able to put back his arm like nothing happened, because he's fucking magician. In the end, Hisoka will obviously win. Why do I know that? Because if Hisoka lose, he'll have 4 defeat and Gon will be unable to fight him in the tournament since he'll be disqualified!

ur a genius
Apr 15, 2015 4:11 PM

Jun 2014
Tsk its great for the audience how they explain their abilities, when they should be hiding their abilities for future battles.

Apr 15, 2015 4:25 PM

Oct 2013
zat-bust said:
Tsk its great for the audience how they explain their abilities, when they should be hiding their abilities for future battles.

It doesn't matter if they know Hisoka's abilities, the reason is explained later. And you are watching a shounen after all, this complaint is like complaining about drama in a drama anime.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 22, 2015 1:27 AM

Dec 2012
Nice to see Hisoka not curb-stomp somebody.
Aug 2, 2015 6:33 AM

Nov 2009
Kastro is going to get destroyed, I can feel it.
Sep 3, 2015 7:49 AM

Feb 2015
the censoring never really bothered me, especially since i'm an extremely weak-stomached person. however back at the exam and hisoka took the group of dudes on? i expected SOME blood to come. see, with me i EXPECT blood to happen logically in situations. since hisoka stopped the bleeding with nen that's logical and believable enough. should the "pixie dust" have been there? debate about all that. but i'm sure hisoka found it useless to lose blood (he's not immortal after all) to that amount over a battle he was 5000% sure he'd win.

i'm glad it happened like that anyway. as i've said i'm extremely weak-stomached. even violent PG-13 anime sounds make me queasy.

as for the revelation of gon and his personality, i learned a lot more of what i already knew. when gon said (something like) "I felt so miserable, I had to help someone." my mother went into a "DAWWWWWW" moment but i found that rather selfish in the back of ny head. he just wanted to save his comrades simply because HE felt bad and HE wanted to feel better. saving pika and leo would do that for him, so that's basically 100% why he did that. he can be selfish at times, and it's repeatedly said in the show ("So self centered!"). partly i believe it's because he's 12yrs old, and of what he is as a nen user. it's not some theory guys. it's true.

as for sacrificing his friends for hisoka, i am really just asking a question here. when are they declared friends? it's clear the 4 of them are fond of each other, but are they friends at this point? that's why i said "comrades" before, since i'm not sure. i believe it's so in the killua arc, and definite official afterwards. that's how it is for me.

as for the fight, hisoka has got this guy down. maybe he provided challenge when they previously met, but not now. i found it unexpecting that killua had admired kastro, though. a bit cute.
TomDaySep 3, 2015 7:54 AM
Sep 30, 2015 3:35 PM

May 2015
that announcer is too good at her job.
Jan 8, 2016 12:08 AM

Jun 2015
on to the next one.
Apr 12, 2016 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
Kastro will get owned next ep.
Jun 25, 2016 10:43 AM
Jun 2015
Hisokas arm...WHatt
Aug 20, 2016 3:00 PM

May 2014
Kastro is defs gonna be boned, but he's cool af.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 72 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RX-782 - Mar 23, 2013

98 by Nerdason »»
Today, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 71 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 16, 2013

144 by Nerdason »»
Today, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 70 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FireBallsDJ - Mar 9, 2013

199 by Nerdason »»
Today, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Mar 2, 2013

139 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:00 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 68 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RX-782 - Feb 23, 2013

200 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.