Forum Settings
Forums

What the fuck happened to the anime community?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 8, 2021 7:52 PM

Jun 2014
You see, OP, what happened was, we all turned gay.

Anime guys just got girlier and girlier, and we finally said to ourselves, "we can just look at the guys instead."

Mar 8, 2021 7:55 PM

Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
Judevin said:
Been avoiding this thread since I first saw it because it felt like obvious bait, decided to check it out because I'm a fucking idiot.
And...
Then I thought "ok maybe this is /s", so I checked through OP's profile and recent posts.
This is not /s.
Good grief.

Yup... they drank conspiracy kool aid and have no idea weebs like him complained in the 90’s about this stuff. Specifically about fans of cute anime not being real anime fans. Only Captain Harlock and Robotec”. They were mad at the ecchi garbage like Ranma and the girly crap like Sailor Moon.

I think it's a lazy mental shortcut to dismiss any argument against current changes as just the same as people who are upset at changes in the past. Perhaps you should address the actual issue instead acting smugly superior to someone trying to make an earnest point? Which is more than I can say for the person you replied to who isn't' even worth engaging with. You on the other hand I suspect is more reasonable so please think about what you're saying here.

You're saying someone who wants to preserve the weebness and cute girls and fan service, is the same as someone who complained about the introduction of those very things 20 years ago... Come on dude.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Mar 8, 2021 7:58 PM

Jun 2011
YossaRedMage said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Yup... they drank conspiracy kool aid and have no idea weebs like him complained in the 90’s about this stuff. Specifically about fans of cute anime not being real anime fans. Only Captain Harlock and Robotec”. They were mad at the ecchi garbage like Ranma and the girly crap like Sailor Moon.

I think it's a lazy mental shortcut to dismiss any argument against current changes as just the same as people who are upset at changes in the past. Perhaps you should address the actual issue instead acting smugly superior to someone trying to make an earnest point? Which is more than I can say for the person you replied to who isn't' even worth engaging with. You on the other hand I suspect is more reasonable so please think about what you're saying here.

You're saying someone who wants to preserve the weebness and cute girls and fan service, is the same as someone who complained about the introduction of those very things 20 years ago... Come on dude.

The OP constantly complains about LGBT stuff in media. Trust me, he wants to censor stuff all the time, it’s just different fucking stuff. He is also against women’s rights. I could have sworn most people are for women’s rights, but yeah, the motivation is very similar.

PS the motivation is misogyny and homophobia. As well as a preservation of the past.
Energetic-NovaMar 8, 2021 8:03 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 8, 2021 7:59 PM
Jul 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Idk, I always ask “when did so many racist/sexist/homophobic straight guys start liking anime?” cause yeah we were a bunch of weirdo outcasts. But I was in several anime clubs of mostly women and gays. We all fought for gay marriage and trans rights in my state.

And my friends irl are still like this. But the people online are totally different.

I think maybe it is just because people have social media addictions now and overly listen to reactionary youtubers. Also not being in 8th grade anymore. Being 30 is different than being 14.

Don't worry. It only looks like this kind of guys are dominating the community, but in reality, you will mostly find them online, because they are just a bunch of sad figures. 😅
Rarely met them in real in comparison to the amount of other people in the community.
Mar 8, 2021 8:04 PM

Feb 2014
Sorry, but unless you've watched multiple anime neither dubbed nor subbed you've no right judge them
We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.
Mar 8, 2021 8:05 PM

Jun 2011
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Energetic-Nova said:
Idk, I always ask “when did so many racist/sexist/homophobic straight guys start liking anime?” cause yeah we were a bunch of weirdo outcasts. But I was in several anime clubs of mostly women and gays. We all fought for gay marriage and trans rights in my state.

And my friends irl are still like this. But the people online are totally different.

I think maybe it is just because people have social media addictions now and overly listen to reactionary youtubers. Also not being in 8th grade anymore. Being 30 is different than being 14.

Don't worry. It only looks like this kind of guys are dominating the community, but in reality, you will mostly find them online, because they are just a bunch of sad figures. 😅
Rarely met them in real in comparison to the amount of other people in the community.

Even the people who are Loli fans irl completely different than the ones who are here. All liberal and mostly trans women. Also happy hyper ADHD types LOL
Mar 8, 2021 8:11 PM

Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
YossaRedMage said:

The OP constantly complains about LGBT stuff in media. Trust me, he wants to censor stuff all the time, it’s just different fucking stuff. He is also against women’s rights. I could have sworn most people are for women’s rights, but yeah, the motivation is very similar.

PS the motivation is misogyny and homophobia. As well as a preservation of the past.

Trust me I know OP well. You're stereotyping and exaggerating slightly, but hey sure, there are things he believes I don't agree with. No ones perfect. But that's not the point and I won't discuss any individuals more than this because it would be rude. You still haven't addressed the point of the thread, which is nothing to do with LGBT stuff or womens rights. But an anime community that is becoming less true to what has always made it great. No, the argument isn't the same as the anti-moe crowd of the 2000s. It's about a loss of character. An interesting, unique character that is being replaced by a new culture, and new people who want to turn anime in to something more "normal", more mainstream, and less Japanese. Do you agree that is happening? Do you think it is a problem? Why? There's a good conversation here that you and others are side-stepping. It's fine if you don't want to have it, but don't bring up stuff from other threads or make personal attacks.

[Edit: To be more clear, the people of the past who complained about changes, were complaining about a change of character. What's going on now is very much a loss of character.]
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 8, 2021 8:23 PM

Jun 2011
YossaRedMage said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Trust me I know OP well. You're stereotyping and exaggerating slightly, but hey sure, there are things he believes I don't agree with. No ones perfect. But that's not the point and I won't discuss any individuals more than this because it would be rude. You still haven't addressed the point of the thread, which is nothing to do with LGBT stuff or womens rights. But an anime community that is becoming less true to what has always made it great. No, the argument isn't the same as the anti-moe crowd of the 2000s. It's about a loss of character. An interesting, unique character that is being replaced by a new culture, and new people who want to turn anime in to something more "normal", more mainstream, and less Japanese. Do you agree that is happening? Do you think it is a problem? Why? There's a good conversation here that you and others are side-stepping. It's fine if you don't want to have it, but don't bring up stuff from other threads or make personal attacks.

[Edit: To be more clear, the people of the past who complained about changes, were complaining about a change of character. What's going on now is very much a loss of character.]

People were complaining about anime going main stream. That all the cheerleaders and preppies were liking anime now. And that was in the late 90s. I saw some thing from his early as 1994 complaining about that. I think there is a perceived sense of small community and belonging that happened, and yeah with the loss of anime clubs, and the democratization of streaming services, more have fast Internet, anime fans are becoming parents themselves.

I really think it’s just because of the centralization by way of social media. There’s a lot of people on one site, which then leads to a lot of fighting. You can just search all day long for shit that will piss you off. There are certain phrases that you know you can search up and you can find the things that will piss you off and let you know that the horrible people who hate you are definitely there.

But before? People usually stayed on their own small sites. The communities were more homogenous, smaller communities means you can’t just be a dick or you’ll be losing that community. But now we can take communities for granted. There are so many options. You don’t need you know those 10 assholes. You can just go be with somebody else. I Donely that, you can go be with somebody else get a new group of friends, and then go attack the people that you’re fucking hate it before. because you’re an immature brat.

There was no presence of re-tweeting something, or re-blogging some thing, to create a targeted harassment campaign. He couldn’t build a huge audience on YouTube on just Internet drama. And I sincerely blame anyone who supports any side of the fucking drama there. you are a part of one community that goes out and attacks another community you are just as bad.

I know what causes this already. It is the lack of mental health care and being online so much of the time. It is extremely bad for people to be on social media all the time. And with a Twitter especially, that one has been starting to be studied as the worst platform for people with ADHD, and people with ADHD already are terrible with social media in general. It’s got the novelty factor, it’s got the triggering engagements, you can stay perpetually angry on that website in ways that you really can’t on others. Once somebody with ADHD is traumatized they typically become exactly like the people who bullied them because of rejection sensitive dysphoria. And people with ADHD are more likely to be in to a Anime. It isn’t that the culture of people has changed or whatever. The composition is the exact same as it’s always been. But the very presence of this kind of social media that is so connected to who you are as a person can create a humiliation factor that just was never present before. And the people who get damaged with that are the most likely to perpetrate because they don’t wanna get hurt. And depending on your identity you’re going to make a choice of one side or another. And if you’re one way you’re more likely to choose the anti-SJW, and if you’re the other way you’re going to choose the SJW.

I don’t know how you break the cycle other than equality act + free or cheap enough healthcare (so people get help and take their meds). Usually if a group becomes the scapegoat for your problems, they will want to defend themselves. Since both sides are ADHD or autistic and wont drop it, it will never end.
Energetic-NovaMar 8, 2021 8:28 PM
Mar 8, 2021 8:30 PM

Oct 2017
BilboBaggins365 said:
YossaRedMage said:

Dropping a quick comment in support of my boy Ryuk's message here. The younger "I'm 13 and cringe at everything" crowd, and the pretentious older "I have to pretend I like anime for 'adult' reasons and can't like moe or fan service" crowd can both fuck off.

The anime community is about unique self-expression. It's about being different, embracing a different culture, and seeing things in a new ways. Nowadays the community is full of people that seem to actively hate Japan, and want anime to change to be more western.

Doesn't help that every big company involved in anime push this "anime is for everyone" bullshit. That nonsense is the death of culture. No community works by changing itself to become open to everyone. Generally, the value of a community is higher when the parameters around which it is built are narrower. It makes it more special. By excluding no one, you include no one. It's a yin/yang dynamic.

Just accept that if you want to really find something special to you and embrace it deeply, you will alienate people who don't love that thing as much. You... we need to focus more on in-group bias. STOP trying to be liked by everyone. It's far more special and rewarding to cultivate a small group of like-minded people.

Of course all this is just blowing hot-air imo. The anime community is changing because anime is changing because of globalization - because of companies and individuals such as YouTube personalities who benefit from appealing to the lowest common denominator. One can only hope the anime community splits at some point in to "Japanese anime fans", and "anime fans". But you can bet people who profit off of YOUR fandom don't want that to happen.

The Western anime community (unless you are Japanese this is hypocritical) and anime itself only exists because of globalization (without Western influence anime would be quite different in many aspects). There will always be niche content willing to be made by small studios or groups of people. You may even find that content might get wider support if exposed to the world.

Your first point. It's true, and I think the western influence on anime is impossible to overstate. It's whole character comes from the fusion of western influences and Japan storytelling philosophy. I would argue the difference of late, in both the community and the content, is a move away from the Japanese'ness. Fans are no longer weebs. Which is weird. If anime is Japanese, and people say they fans of Japanese works, surely they like Japan? But far from being neutral on the subject, the community has become weebphobic. And the content is being tailored more and more for a global audience. These things of course go hand in hand.

Of course, this is a problem for fans of anime who like for what's makes it unique and distinct from western media/hobbies/fandoms. But from a less subjective standpoint, I would argue it makes anime as a culture have less character. It is less unique. I could get in to stuff about what makes good art, and how lowest common denominator media is objectively low quality as art, but that would be going off a tangent that I don't need to...

As for you other point. Yes it's true that there will always be that niche content. That's some solace for people like me. But there will be less of it and it will receive less funding. And there will be a loss of identity. For fans of that now side-lined content... we can't call ourselves "anime fans", because the culture around what that means has changed. This is why I say there needs to be a cultural split between fans of anime for what has always made it great, and... whatever I have no idea what the deal is with these new fans...
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 8, 2021 8:35 PM

Dec 2018
YossaRedMage said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

The Western anime community (unless you are Japanese this is hypocritical) and anime itself only exists because of globalization (without Western influence anime would be quite different in many aspects). There will always be niche content willing to be made by small studios or groups of people. You may even find that content might get wider support if exposed to the world.

Your first point. It's true, and I think the western influence on anime is impossible to overstate. It's whole character comes from the fusion of western influences and Japan storytelling philosophy. I would argue the difference of late, in both the community and the content, is a move away from the Japanese'ness. Fans are no longer weebs. Which is weird. If anime is Japanese, and people say they fans of Japanese works, surely they like Japan? But far from being neutral on the subject, the community has become weebphobic. And the content is being tailored more and more for a global audience. These things of course go hand in hand.

Of course, this is a problem for fans of anime who like for what's makes it unique and distinct from western media/hobbies/fandoms. But from a less subjective standpoint, I would argue it makes anime as a culture have less character. It is less unique. I could get in to stuff about what makes good art, and how lowest common denominator media is objectively low quality as art, but that would be going off a tangent that I don't need to...

As for you other point. Yes it's true that there will always be that niche content. That's some solace for people like me. But there will be less of it and it will receive less funding. And there will be a loss of identity. For fans of that now side-lined content... we can't call ourselves "anime fans", because the culture around what that means has changed. This is why I say there needs to be a cultural split between fans of anime for what has always made it great, and... whatever I have no idea what the deal is with these new fans...

I hope by Japan-Ness you don't mean ecchi, hentai and all that because that's not really what Japanese are all about... In fact, people who're super into that in Japan are in the minority. A lot of Japanese people read manga and watch animes casually and have rather normal lives, mainstream tastes. Just saying.
Mar 8, 2021 8:47 PM

Oct 2017
Energetic-Nova said:
YossaRedMage said:

People were complaining about anime going main stream. That all the cheerleaders and preppies were liking anime now. And that was in the late 90s. I saw some thing from his early as 1994 complaining about that. I think there is a perceived sense of small community and belonging that happened, and yeah with the loss of anime clubs, and the democratization of streaming services, more have fast Internet, anime fans are becoming parents themselves.

I really think it’s just because of the centralization by way of social media. There’s a lot of people on one site, which then leads to a lot of fighting. You can just search all day long for shit that will piss you off. There are certain phrases that you know you can search up and you can find the things that will piss you off and let you know that the horrible people who hate you are definitely there.

But before? People usually stayed on their own small sites. The communities were more homogenous, smaller communities means you can’t just be a dick or you’ll be losing that community. But now we can take communities for granted. There are so many options. You don’t need you know those 10 assholes. You can just go be with somebody else. I Donely that, you can go be with somebody else get a new group of friends, and then go attack the people that you’re fucking hate it before. because you’re an immature brat.

There was no presence of re-tweeting something, or re-blogging some thing, to create a targeted harassment campaign. He couldn’t build a huge audience on YouTube on just Internet drama. And I sincerely blame anyone who supports any side of the fucking drama there. you are a part of one community that goes out and attacks another community you are just as bad.

I know what causes this already. It is the lack of mental health care and being online so much of the time. It is extremely bad for people to be on social media all the time. And with a Twitter especially, that one has been starting to be studied as the worst platform for people with ADHD, and people with ADHD already are terrible with social media in general. It’s got the novelty factor, it’s got the triggering engagements, you can stay perpetually angry on that website in ways that you really can’t on others. Once somebody with ADHD is traumatized they typically become exactly like the people who bullied them because of rejection sensitive dysphoria. And people with ADHD are more likely to be in to a Anime. It isn’t that the culture of people has changed or whatever. The composition is the exact same as it’s always been. But the very presence of this kind of social media that is so connected to who you are as a person can create a humiliation factor that just was never present before. And the people who get damaged with that are the most likely to perpetrate because they don’t wanna get hurt. And depending on your identity you’re going to make a choice of one side or another. And if you’re one way you’re more likely to choose the anti-SJW, and if you’re the other way you’re going to choose the SJW.

I don’t know how you break the cycle other than equality act + free or cheap enough healthcare (so people get help and take their meds). Usually if a group becomes the scapegoat for your problems, they will want to defend themselves. Since both sides are ADHD or autistic and wont drop it, it will never end.

Hmm. Well fuck I agree with practically all of that regarding the problems with social media. I still think there is a loss of character happening within the culture as it becomes less focused and more "for everybody" which as I said before, I think is the death of culture. A culture only exists in contract to other cultures. And it's value and character, as with people, is defined by it's uniqueness. You're certainly right about how these issues foster division and anger, but I do think there is a real issue where anime/otaku culture is becoming diluted and objectively less valuable. This is kind of part of a trend that has been happening for a long time. I think back to the 90s where there were very distinct subcultures. Goths, Skate kids, Stoners, Jocks (that one's more of a US thing and I'm in the UK so I'm just going on what other people say), and of course the 90s anime fans, although there less of them where I lived. It feels like all of culture is being squished in to one grey mass. And as I said in a previous post, I think this is largely down to big business who are constantly seeking to consolidate and centralize.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 8, 2021 9:00 PM

Apr 2015
juiccbox said:
well one thing hasn’t changed in the anime community over the last few decades, it’s still full of pedophiles!

Yeah, blegh. Don't know how many times I've seen someone with loli pfp's with them in swimsuits or plastered all over their profile section in the past few weeks.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 8, 2021 9:30 PM

Jun 2011
YossaRedMage said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Hmm. Well fuck I agree with practically all of that regarding the problems with social media. I still think there is a loss of character happening within the culture as it becomes less focused and more "for everybody" which as I said before, I think is the death of culture. A culture only exists in contract to other cultures. And it's value and character, as with people, is defined by it's uniqueness. You're certainly right about how these issues foster division and anger, but I do think there is a real issue where anime/otaku culture is becoming diluted and objectively less valuable. This is kind of part of a trend that has been happening for a long time. I think back to the 90s where there were very distinct subcultures. Goths, Skate kids, Stoners, Jocks (that one's more of a US thing and I'm in the UK so I'm just going on what other people say), and of course the 90s anime fans, although there less of them where I lived. It feels like all of culture is being squished in to one grey mass. And as I said in a previous post, I think this is largely down to big business who are constantly seeking to consolidate and centralize.

Yeah that centralized huge site issue. If we just tried to ignore the huge sites and their fan culture we would all be a lot happier.

Well, no doubt, some anime, like most of the Jump offerings, are for most people. I have learned to avoid those fandoms since forever cause huge fandom = more toxic. When I do watch a Giant show, I talk to my buddies in discord. Fuck anyone else. They don’t matter.

Small shows? Nearly no toxicity. Cause only core fans will watch even the mediocre stuff for a niche still. Same with stuff that is older. People will call you elitist and shit but it is so much more peaceful watching Rizelmine or Chobits than it is Fire Force (yes I picked 3 fanservice things that are all very different) .

Mar 8, 2021 10:26 PM

Mar 2019
_FRB_ said:
Don't know if I would go as far as to say I'd prefer people carrying katanas and body pillows in public, but I definitely agree with the overall sentiment that there're downsides to going mainstream.

The other thing that sticks out to me is the part about getting pounced for saying anything positive about Japan. I wish that was a exaggeration. The "don't obsess over Japan" mindset has manifested itself into not allowing any praise of Japan that isn't about their quality of animation.

I don't have enough appendages to count the amount of times I've said something about Japan and someone comes in with the "bUt DoN't YoU kNoW tHeIr WoRk CuLtUrE iS tErRiBlE?" No shit, really? One would think in their attempt to prove someone is obsessed with Japan they would not use the most common factoid that everyone who knows anything about the country knows, but it's not surprising since it serves as nothing but a gotcha moment.

Yes and its funny how Japan is basically not allowed to have any flaws. It must be a perfectly working paradise that makes every single person there happy at all times or else it doesn't deserve any praise.

Even the common criticisms are wildly exaggerated. The work culture has been tamed a lot in recent years (https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS) and I debunked the "suicide rates" argument here... https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1896066&show=0#1

@AnonymousWeeb420

Left-wingers are overwhelmingly the ones who want to censor anime because anime is one of the only mediums of entertainment out there that mostly supports conservative messages.
Ryuk9428Mar 8, 2021 10:36 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2021 12:00 AM

Jun 2012
juiccbox said:
well one thing hasn’t changed in the anime community over the last few decades, it’s still full of pedophiles!

I don't see a problem with this. It's never going away and only going to continue to grow.
Mar 9, 2021 12:16 AM

Dec 2020
im hoping that this is satire lmfaoo
Mar 9, 2021 12:17 AM

Jan 2019
Glordit said:
juiccbox said:

I don't see a problem with this. It's never going away and only going to continue to grow.
I also don't see a problem with this, I actually want it to keep it growing
Sorry For bad English.
Mar 9, 2021 12:29 AM

Feb 2021
Bunch of normies started watching Anime especially after Demon Slayer.
Mar 9, 2021 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Even the people who are Loli fans irl completely different than the ones who are here. All liberal and mostly trans women. Also happy hyper ADHD types LOL

Yes, and these I met in real don't sexualize the moe characters, no matter their gender. These characters just awaken a protection instinct towards them.
Mar 9, 2021 8:03 AM

Oct 2017
YossaRedMage said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

One you don't have to correlate enjoying media with liking the country the artist is from. I think that is a massive leap that I personally wouldn't agree with due to my own experiences not really in anime but other media. Being critical of Japan also doesn't mean you hate them or the culture either.

Secondly define what you think makes anime unique? Is it battle shonen, the current isekai flair, mecha that have been lost long ago or ecchi content?

Finally how do you know there is going to be less funding? Ultimately half of the industry's money right now is coming from international funding. If that funding dried up the anime industry would collapse with studios going under left and right. 30% of studios at the moment are in the red what do you think would happen if they all lost half of their income? It's more likely they would cater to the mainstream and less niche shows would get made as those shows are usually made by small studios. It's not like the casual anime/manga fan supports that niche content either. People all fear bait about the West destroying the "uniqueness of anime" and then they simp for shows like Shield Hero ignoring the West and China are big reasons it got another season at all. Numerous new fans can bring their interests and lead to the support of content that maybe ignored in the past. You see many old anime fans disappointed genres like sci fi are dead these days Western fans might help revive that.

It's dumb to group all these "new fans" under one brush. People get concerned about censorship and then you find out these guys have been fans for years while x dude that got in last year isn't bringing up drama. It's just trying to make an easy us vs them to deal with concerns and fears about something you like changing. I can understand that to some degree but I am just going to be honest you would be worse off if this industry didn't try to reach out to global audiences that want it.

Globalism isn't some boogeyman it's a natural force that has always been part of our world and it's only increasing due to improvements in transportation and communication technology. Even if anime stayed very niche people are going to know of it and could impose restrictions or censorship onto the things you like regardless of who comes into our fandom.

I will add it's up to you to clarify because honestly even in Japan tons of people consider what you think is "unique" and "Japanese" to be bad as well. The global exchange of ideas is common place these days better for people of similar views to stick together and support one another than artificially divide based off a simple border or language.
BilboBaggins365Mar 9, 2021 8:29 AM
Mar 12, 2021 7:26 AM

May 2020
The ppl outside have nothing to do with the thing that I am an anime fan. Clothes, necklaces are ok, but if you drag a body pillow they gonna think your weird, in a bad way. Maybe they gonna hate the community because they saw some weird idiot -.-
Mar 14, 2021 4:03 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing much happened to the Anime community we're still the same imo.
Mar 14, 2021 4:20 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I don't know if this is bait, but in a way it's still pretty agreeable. Weeaboo is arguably the most overused post-ironic low-hanging fruit buzzword of all time. What you posted is an unironic Weeaboo. Nowadays, anyone who even enjoys anime is a weeaboo—not only do anime fans proclaim themselves as a weeaboo, but people who hyperbolically shit on anime fans call them weeaboos. When it's used in so many ways at the same time, no wonder it's lost its original meaning.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with those type of weeaboos at all. I don't have a problem with most people unless they're dishonest or needlessly hateful. I can't even be mad at a weeaboo who deludes themselves about the nature of Japan, because it's their experience if they go to Japan and get LMAO'd at or shunned, not mine.

Life is a learning & understanding experience, so if they want to learn that the hard way, so be it. But then again, if you're walking around like this, I highly doubt that at this point you'd care about being shunned, and I honestly have respect for people who don't give a fuck about other people's negative thoughts to the point that they won't let it change how they express themselves as an individual. It all boils down to the idea of projection and control, and the habitual need to categorize everything and everyone you interact with as good or bad, something I try to stay away from. I find it to be a fucking talent when people can interact with others and aren't afraid of what negative bullshit others have to say. I'm not saying that I like him, I'm just saying I respect him.

Irony (and its many layers) and dishonesty fucks people in the ass every day, and my autistic "take-everything-literal"-ass questions too much to ever come to a conclusion about it. Whether this post is ironic or not, I can never hate or assume things about a person I don't know. So if that bullshit not-Smooth Criminal hat and anime pillow in his left hand motivates him throughout the day, and his intentions aren't to purposefully harm others, then he gets my respect. (but, he doesn't need my respect to do what he wants.)
ChartTopper60Mar 14, 2021 4:25 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2021 7:56 AM

Jan 2014
X Episode X Discussion - a bunch of people just writing text recaps of an episode

reddit was a mistake
Mar 14, 2021 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Ruined by SnK fans and their fake accounts.
Mar 14, 2021 8:03 AM

Oct 2019
Uhmm ok I respect your opinion but I don't care about what anime fans should be. Everyone is different and thats it.
One Piece is the Greatest Shounen.
Mar 14, 2021 11:09 AM

May 2016
Ryuk9428 said:
Left-wingers are overwhelmingly the ones who want to censor anime because anime is one of the only mediums of entertainment out there that mostly supports conservative messages.

Ah yes, conservative messages such as...
*checks notes*
...collectivism, acceptance of others, environmentalism, mercy and compassion, progressivism, and being emotionally authentic in a conservative society that values hiding your emotions...?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 14, 2021 11:43 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Zelkiiro said:
Ryuk9428 said:

*checks notes*
...collectivism, acceptance of others, environmentalism, mercy and compassion, progressivism, and being emotionally authentic in a conservative society that values hiding your emotions...?

Your view of modern conservatism is most likely warped if you see many of these as being exclusive from conservatism. The overwhelmingly progressive ideas of "having emotions" and "compassion". Give me a break. Next you're going to say the power of friendship proves that anime is contrary to conservative messages.

Two of your examples literally contradict each other. If you consider Japan to be a conservative society (which you do, and many people do, that's what you used as an example), then seeing as Japan is one of the most collectivist countries in the developed world on a societal level, then collectivism is probably not inherently exclusive from conservatism either.
Mar 14, 2021 11:46 AM

Sep 2020
Tylaen said:
I remain unsure if this is a joke post.

exactly what is going through my head as well.
*insert emotional quote or waifu boobs*
Mar 14, 2021 11:46 AM

Sep 2014
Normies happened, thats what is the cause of the problem here.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 14, 2021 11:49 AM

May 2016
_FRB_ said:
Zelkiiro said:

*checks notes*

Your view of modern conservatism is most likely warped if you see many of these as being exclusive from conservatism. The overwhelmingly progressive ideas of "having emotions" and "compassion". Give me a break. Next you're going to say the power of friendship proves that anime is contrary to conservative messages.

Two of your examples literally contradict each other. If you consider Japan to be a conservative society (which you do, and many people do, that's what you used as an example), then seeing as Japan is one of the most collectivist countries in the developed world on a societal level, then collectivism is probably not inherently exclusive from conservatism either.

Conservative philosophy revolves around precisely two things:

1. Humanity must stop progressing. Status quo is god.
2. "Fuck you, got mine."

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 14, 2021 12:00 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Zelkiiro said:
_FRB_ said:

Conservative philosophy revolves around precisely two things:

1. Humanity must stop progressing. Status quo is god.
2. "Fuck you, got mine."

_FRB_ said:
Your view of modern conservatism is most likely warped

Usually you can't change the ideas of someone on an internet forum that has doubled down on them. Carry on.
Mar 14, 2021 12:04 PM
Nov 2019
Uh idk dude with all due respect, we ARE normal people- we just watch anime. The reason I (or people like myself) don't bring it up is because I don't need my social life ruined with the stereotype of a "weeb".
Go on about some lengthy incomprehensible nonsense; I just wanna live my life to the fullest while enjoying the quality entertainment that is anime. (Not basing my entire existence of it)
Mar 14, 2021 12:38 PM

Mar 2019
Zelkiiro said:
Ryuk9428 said:

*checks notes*

Collectivism is further to the right than modern day American conservatism. You’re only looking at it as left-wing because collectivism is associated with less center oriented philosophies. America is already center-left as a country so being a centrist or desiring a center-right type society is still individualistic but a true traditional society is collectivist. Ultimately, the behavior shown as good in anime is much more in line with traditionalist conservatism than with progressive societies.

- Ultra femininity and traditional gender roles that are encouraged or outright eroticized through kawaii/moe culture.
- Emphasizing relationships and marriage as more important to women’s happiness than career.
- Emphasizing respect for one’s parents and grandparents. Rarely portraying teenage disrespect as a good thing.
- The strong encouragement of girls to choose a romantic partner based mainly on the man’s moral character. The man’s chivalry, politeness, and willingness to commit to a girl are constantly portrayed as the reasons why the female characters are choosing him.
- Rarely portraying non-traditional relationships. Sex is almost never shown outside of love based relationships. Whenever hookups or infidelity is portrayed they are usually highly stigmatized (School Days).

Then you have the fact that they actually got away with creating the Angel Cop anime who’s dialogue was literally changed by Western importation companies because it was seen as too offensive.
Ryuk9428Mar 14, 2021 1:03 PM
Mar 14, 2021 12:47 PM
Feb 2017
Japan is sugoii (cute) desu!

I wanna go Nihon (Japanese for Japan) to appreciate the culture but these konoyaro normies make it seem like I'm just a cringey weaboo for wanting to do so

Shogonai, I'll just do what I want. At least I appreciate the context of the arts I follow. Modern anime fans just do it to stay trendy on Tiktok. I hate how after telling people to watch anime for years, they've actually started watching anime. Know your place, ant.
It's Aiko!!!!
Mar 14, 2021 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Anime fans used to be cool. They used to don fedoras, openly worship Japan, use Japanese words in the middle of English conversations, carry their body pillows around in public, and took shit from no one. I love anime fans like that. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that most anime fans are not the cool rebel outcasts I thought they were but in-fact most were self-loathing people who are desperate for mainstream acceptance and shame the people who built our community and made it a cool place because apparently having some personality is "embarrassing."

Nowadays, the true anime fans are a minority in their own community. People who make positive statements about Japan get pounced on by those desperate to be seen as normal. Our community has been taken over by poseurs who have destroyed most of what made the anime community special to begin with. I am proud to consider myself a true, original weeaboo. When you look at this photo below, you should feel admiration and pride in your heart. If you don't feel that way, you are not a true anime fan.

OBJECTION!! If you truly consider yourself an "original anime fan" you would've called yourself a wapanese and not a weeabo. You have been caught red handed as a larper, now what do you have to say against that?!
Mar 14, 2021 4:34 PM

Jul 2017
i don't really feel the change
casuals still being casuals
degens being degens
neckbeards being neckbeards
femboys being femboys
fangirls being fangirls

the only noticeable aspect of the community is the increase in pedophilia
Mar 14, 2021 10:03 PM

Mar 2019
@EmpireBob16

Well, I have used the word wapanese before. I just didn't use it in this specific instance. Shall my crimes against wapan be forgiven for thy transgression?
Mar 14, 2021 10:28 PM

Jan 2020
Well , I agree with you, why sudden bashing towards degeneration in anime , while anime Fans itself are a symbol of degeneracy. People shitting what Rudeus done in mushoku Tensei and start shitting on it , like lol really? Degenerates bashing other degenerates what a hypocrisy. Huh imagine a place where me as a degenerate will have fun with fellow degenerates ruined by moralist , goddamn.
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Mar 14, 2021 10:39 PM

Oct 2013
I've been a fan for a while and I never did any of that shit...I've always strictly stayed in the middle. Not going out of my way to hide or broadcast my hobbies. I've never once thought of myself as a "weeb" nor do I ever intend to... I don't slap labels onto myself out of a need to stand out from the crowd...I do that shit with my words..
FanofActionMar 14, 2021 10:47 PM
Mar 14, 2021 10:46 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Those are sort of the ones franku insulted though, which later bred more elitists that swarm the community to this day... so yeah
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Mar 14, 2021 10:53 PM

Aug 2015
juiccbox said:

Mushoku Tensei and Kobayashi fans love to deny this statement though.

-----------------------------------------------

Outside of that, anime is more common nowadays, specially with the internet and netflix promoting it, so there is a lot of change, and also a lot of things to change. Btw I love when people make fun of otakus for liking anime when being a nerd for comics and star wars is literally the same shit.
Mar 14, 2021 11:41 PM

Apr 2010
The fans you're talking about still exist. Like I told you a while ago, go to cons, you'll see dudes like in the image you posted walking around by the dozens. Anime fans should be able to identify with what they want.. We shouldn't HAVE to be "true weaboo's" in order to be real fans. I hated being in middle school and high school in the mid and late 2000's when liking Anime was still looked at as a hobby for degens. Anyone who grew up during the times when liking Anime wasn't socially acceptable or was still in the infantile stages of it becoming acceptable would not be saying that they enjoyed being a "rebel" or "outcast" a lot of fans got forced into those roles due to social repercussions of liking Anime openly.
Mar 14, 2021 11:46 PM

Jun 2020
Well the anime community is filled with absolute degenerates and hypocrisy at least the majority of them don’t hold their Oreimo body pillows in public, but then again at least it’s not Ero-manga sensei.
How am I supposed to decide what to write, I can't choose an anime to watch to save my life, you think I can pick a signature?
Mar 15, 2021 12:04 AM

Jan 2013
Hey, you can bitch about pedos/lolis if you want, but the PC police doesn't want you to see any female under 18 being sexualized, either. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 15, 2021 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
Anime fans have always been cringy, we're 30 + years in and it's the same as before.
Mar 15, 2021 12:35 AM
May 2018
It amazes me this isnt a joke post. You're the one being toxic here. I guess I'm not a "true fan" because I dont want to wear a fedora and bring a body pillow around with me when I'm buying groceries. Apparently that's me being ashamed or trying to fit in with mainstream people. Well I dont really care about fitting in with you or your crowd cause thats just not who I am. And no I dont worship Japan. I like anime and many things Japan has and does but I'm not looking away from its issues or trying to move there.

This is just gatekeeping. If you like anime that's awesome, heres a site to talk about it. But forcing this culture stuff is ridiculous. I also really dont want to pull this card as it's most of the time dumb and most people including me are nowhere near up to date with their MAL account lists but from your profile you havent seen or read nearly enough to be gatekeeping people and saying they aren't "true anime fans". Relax my dude.

Most of the self deprecating things anime fans say are jokes. Some might ACTUALLY be embarrassed because of the environment they're in or maybe they're just younger and not confident enough yet. Who cares. On MAL we all like anime(mostly. Looking at you 700 days watched average rating of anime 3-4 people) and it's nice that the people like that have a place where they can talk about it without feeling judged aside from normal toxicity and posts like these.

Also you keep bring politics into anime... like... c'mon. No. Nothing about being a Democrat is about wanting to censor anime because anime shows Republican political ideals in a positive light. I'm more economically Republican as well before you start saying I'm a Democratic defending other Democrats. That's just baseless propaganda both sides throw at each other. Yeah Funimation sucks but that's not what the Democratic party particularly the old corrupt people in power are about or in general even aware of.
Mar 15, 2021 12:41 AM

Aug 2013
Comander-07 said:
Normies happened, thats what is the cause of the problem here.

This basically. "Getting more people into anime" meme got real and this is what you get because of it. Ironic human garbage is ruining everything no matter where they appear.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 15, 2021 12:51 AM

Jul 2019
I think the community is fine as it is lol.
Mar 15, 2021 1:34 AM

Mar 2019
Breach344 said:
It amazes me this isnt a joke post. You're the one being toxic here. I guess I'm not a "true fan" because I dont want to wear a fedora and bring a body pillow around with me when I'm buying groceries. Apparently that's me being ashamed or trying to fit in with mainstream people. Well I dont really care about fitting in with you or your crowd cause thats just not who I am. And no I dont worship Japan. I like anime and many things Japan has and does but I'm not looking away from its issues or trying to move there.

This is just gatekeeping. If you like anime that's awesome, heres a site to talk about it. But forcing this culture stuff is ridiculous. I also really dont want to pull this card as it's most of the time dumb and most people including me are nowhere near up to date with their MAL account lists but from your profile you havent seen or read nearly enough to be gatekeeping people and saying they aren't "true anime fans". Relax my dude.

Most of the self deprecating things anime fans say are jokes. Some might ACTUALLY be embarrassed because of the environment they're in or maybe they're just younger and not confident enough yet. Who cares. On MAL we all like anime(mostly. Looking at you 700 days watched average rating of anime 3-4 people) and it's nice that the people like that have a place where they can talk about it without feeling judged aside from normal toxicity and posts like these.

Also you keep bring politics into anime... like... c'mon. No. Nothing about being a Democrat is about wanting to censor anime because anime shows Republican political ideals in a positive light. I'm more economically Republican as well before you start saying I'm a Democratic defending other Democrats. That's just baseless propaganda both sides throw at each other. Yeah Funimation sucks but that's not what the Democratic party particularly the old corrupt people in power are about or in general even aware of.

Gatekeeping is a good thing. Now I don't actually wear fedoras or carry body pillows around in public either mainly because I just don't think about it. But I do have a body pillow, I have not attempted to hide it at all, my parents and my IRL friends have all seen it, and I do think you should be able to look at that photo I posted in the OP and feel proud of that guy. You're not required to carry a body pillow around in public yourself, but if you look at guys who do and feel embarrassed or ashamed of them, like they reflect badly on us, then yeah you're not a true anime fan.

Also don't give me that horseshit about how I haven't seen enough anime. I've got 211 completions and I'm in the middle of about 34 different animes. I've also got a few visual novels completed, School Days I've pretty much completed, I've gone through 90% of the routes and School Days is a 40 hour long VN. My list also doesn't count all the times I've rewatched shit, if those hours were added the number of days would probably increase a decent bit. According to MAL-badges, my score is higher than 55% of the people on this website and that's despite the fact that MAL attracts more hardcore weebs than the general population. I have seen PLENTY enough to call myself a true otaku. I can acknowledge that your list is a lot bigger than mine is, but let's not pretend that over 200 animes is a drop in the bucket.

I've also been watching anime for over two years now. I'm not just some guy who started watching anime a few months ago and think I know everything. I've been in the community for a long time now. I've been planning to go to Japan and got enough money saved up to go, I'm just waiting for this goddamn COVID hoax to end.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 4 hours ago

10 by Anjuro »»
7 minutes ago

» What is the superior Anime format? TV, Film, OVA, ONA, Shorts?

Dragevard - 40 minutes ago

4 by nyugvo6 »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » should an anime be mature and/or intelligent to be considered masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jul 29, 2022

58 by KitsuFrost »»
16 minutes ago

» ➢Is there an anime that you liked when you first watched it, but hate it when you look back?

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

3 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you feel like theaters outside of Japan should reconsider expanding screening for anime movies, do daily rerun daily screening events, etc. since not all of us are able to make it due to busy life, important matters, etc.?

WingZeroRequiem - Yesterday

33 by Zalis »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.