Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 2016
animation and especially the trait of this anime are very beautiful has a lot of future Although I have not found this first episode so good so far the best debut of the new Animes of this season "👏👏
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2019 1:49 PM

May 2017
I can see the potential

Yea the story outset might not be anything ground breaking so far, but I can see potential in the dynamic. Having to save your sister and protect her not only by other demons, but also by demon hunters. He also has to make sure that his own sister doesn't become out of control.

Reigen's VA is so good.

Legendary OST as expected! Same composer as of the fate series. Definitely a high selling point for me!

The Opening is good and I'm intrigued by all the character designs I have seen in the opening. This definitely has potential.

Apr 6, 2019 1:59 PM
Apr 2016
It is nice. Somehow I was skeptical about yet another... well, you know, a generic boy loses family-meets heroes-becomes a hero and all that... But I have extremely liked the piece with dark-blue eyes. I do not remember anyone playing this symbolism yet. I am certainly looking forward and watching its career with great interest. From the looks of OP(ED?) it does ultimately end up a power-scaling kids battle and chikara of siblingship... But surely there is more to it in the middle.
nanashi796 said:
AnotherGuy said:

The "bad writing" part was about the whole scene, not just the exposition.
Didn't know this was a Jump anime, certainly explains some things. But if they wanted to hook the reader with shock/anticipation/excitement, which they usually do with first chapters, then they didn't do a very good job. The events were all very predictable and have been done better in other stories. Read the first chapter of Claymore for reference (the setup is basically the same, really).
predictable doesn't mean it's bad,it gets very good don't judge this anime from the first episode wait for more,this is the best shonen in recent years along with mob psycho,much better than the other jump manga like mha and black clover.,even togashi said to read this manga because it's good.

You are right. Many less-than-enlightened people are calling things "predictable", while it is actually them being able to decipher common(and not so) art tropes (also known as cliche). Those complaints come either from loud mouths or experienced (e.g. not someone who has only seen 10 or 20 series total) viewers. Definitely boils down to a lack of personal enjoyment (or vice-versa, vanity of showing ones understanding of cliches?) due to being able to tell where a decent/LOGICALLY well-off series would branch out next. Seriously, a null complaint. That's not a bad thing for an art, on the contrary it actually means IT IS an actual Art aaaaaand I had just triggered someone.
Daniel_NaumovApr 6, 2019 2:05 PM
Re:formed
Apr 6, 2019 2:01 PM

Aug 2017
Wow that animation for the Breathe of Water style.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Apr 6, 2019 2:04 PM
Apr 2016
AnotherGuy said:

To begin with, you already know his whole family is about to get killed

I mean, it's spelled out in the premise that his whole family is slaughtered. I don't think you're supposed to feel surprised here.

AnotherGuy said:

The exposition about demons and demon hunters at the hut makes no sense. It's a world where demons are a real threat and common knowledge, why are you now asking people about that?

You misunderstood the scene. Tanjirou didn't actually believe the old man but stayed with him out of kindness. What he was thinking was basically: "Poor oji-san hasn't been right in his head since his family passed away. I'll bring my siblings next time to play with him and tell him that demons are not real." Demons and demon hunters are not common knowledge in that world, but more like legends and fairy tales.

vipergod said:

Mc was too nice and i don't really like that i hope that its not another Nakama power shounen!

Don't worry. Nakama power and talk no jitsu don't apply here. That's something every manga reader can attest to.
youdontknowwhoApr 6, 2019 2:15 PM
Apr 6, 2019 2:08 PM

May 2015
I love ufotable's aesthetic so I obviously really enjoyed this.

Also, has there ever been a bad LiSA OP? Like seriously, every single one she does is a banger. She's perfect.
TsukuyomiREKTApr 6, 2019 2:19 PM

Apr 6, 2019 2:11 PM

Mar 2008
Very good first episode! But it has the trappings of this genre already. I don't get why so many shows like these have to screech the action scene for a monologue about the last character's move! I get that in a competitive story but not here. MC has a super ability, enhanced smell, that's a new one I must say. Doomed family is older than dirt adventure trope so I'll let it slide.

Great OST by Kajiura and Shiina, love the vocals. Great visuals and animation. Looking forward to this one. Just hope it doesn't fall into "I'm going to kill you but first my life story!"
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Apr 6, 2019 2:12 PM
Apr 2016
nanashi796 said:
AnotherGuy said:

The "bad writing" part was about the whole scene, not just the exposition.
Didn't know this was a Jump anime, certainly explains some things. But if they wanted to hook the reader with shock/anticipation/excitement, which they usually do with first chapters, then they didn't do a very good job. The events were all very predictable and have been done better in other stories. Read the first chapter of Claymore for reference (the setup is basically the same, really).
predictable doesn't mean it's bad,it gets very good don't judge this anime from the first episode wait for more,this is the best shonen in recent years along with mob psycho,much better than the other jump manga like mha and black clover.,even togashi said to read this manga because it's good.
FuMomo-kun said:

The story felt too fast. I wish we got to know the protagonist a little better before the tragedy happened 'cause—right now—I don't feel bad for him at all. I know it's hard for Jump authors to delay the action scenes, but they could have started from the action filled parts, and slowly introduced the protagonist's past as the story progressed.

The oni in this anime are just vampires. Lol. They made it too obvious.

1. This... is actually how such stories are made. There is a secret past that is gradually revealed, to make it somehow spicier for the main character, or to make him secretly an overpowered descendant of a dragon with an evil demigod brother or something. This is literally half the action stories. The character we are introduced to starts off with a tragedy and then slowly we get to know more about him. It is a storytelling technique, calling which a "negative"... is something I would disagree with, strongly. Creators may choose a storytelling technique they like, but it surely comes down to whether they can properly tell an interesting story using this or that technique. The technique itself is never outright negative... except when it is and we get an art-house.
2. This is an extremely large stretch and I don't think having humans working with demons in the OP(ED) warrants for such a claim. If anything I'd rather not have anything with vampires anymore. At all.
Apr 6, 2019 2:13 PM
Apr 2016
youdontknowwho said:
AnotherGuy said:

To begin with, you already know his whole family is about to get killed

I mean, it's spelled out in the premise that his whole family is slaughtered. I don't think you're supposed to feel surprised here.

AnotherGuy said:

The exposition about demons and demon hunters at the hut makes no sense. It's a world where demons are a real threat and common knowledge, why are you now asking people about that?

You misunderstood the scene. Tanjirou didn't actually believe the old man but stayed with him out of kindness. What he was thinking was basically: "Poor oji-san hasn't been right in his head since his family passed away. I'll bring my siblings next time to play with him and tell him that demons are not real." Demons and demon hunters are not common knowledge in that world, but more like legends and fairy tales.

vipergod said:

Mc was too nice and i don't really like that i hope that its not another Nakama power shounen!

Don't worry. Namaka power and talk no jitsu don't apply here. That's something every manga reader can attest to.

IT'S NA-KA-MA, Carl. Learn your tropes.
Apr 6, 2019 2:14 PM

Jun 2015
yoshitsugu matsuoka always finding his way into at least one anime i watch in each season.
i see a lot of potential in this, and the ost so far is pretty magical. this has exceeded my expectations which are pretty low for most first episodes anyway.
the opening is super good though, loving it. liSA never fails.
Apr 6, 2019 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
HOLY FUCK!

While my preferences in anime lean more towards the comedy genre, you have to give credit where credit is do. The animation is top tier and I was sucked into this premier like a typhoon's rainfall to a storm drain. If this keeps up, despite probably not being my preference pick, THIS will objectively be the BEAST anime of spring 2019. The bar has been set, and its super high. For the sake of my own personal lust, I do hope the show keeps up this pace and continues being the visual treat this first episode has been. Again...

HOLY FUCK!
Apr 6, 2019 2:17 PM
Apr 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:

IT'S NA-KA-MA, Carl. Learn your tropes.

Whoops. Thanks for pointing it out.
Apr 6, 2019 2:23 PM
EDM ❤

May 2012
Good first episode, was expecting a lot from this one since it seems to be the hotest new show for this season.

Love some LiSA.
Apr 6, 2019 2:34 PM
Jul 2014
Certainly there are some overused cliches to start out, but I'm not really going to hold that against the show too much since it's just the first episode. Plus, if a show can take a cliche and spin it in a way that's fun and interesting, then I'm usually fine with it.

The CGI on long-distance shots isn't very good, kinda hoping that's as bad as it gets. Please just stick to 2D most of the time Ufotable.

Rest of the show I dig. Setting is to my liking, the music is great, and the character designs I love. So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how things will progress. The show being 2 cour is also a good sign. They should be able to get through a decent amount of manga material hopefully.
Apr 6, 2019 2:35 PM

Nov 2013
i wasn't going to watch this but randomly placed it on the middle of the episode and it looked cool so i ended up watching...gotta say i'm impressed so far =D
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 6, 2019 2:58 PM
Apr 2017
I gave a 10 already I don't care
Expectations are High
First chapter perfect
Apr 6, 2019 2:59 PM

Jan 2008
CGI'ing him while walking in the snow slightly triggering me. Otherwise, good episode. Liking what they're doing with his abilities from the opening visuals, hope they are like that in the actual anime too. Hopefully the following arc doesn't drag too long.
Apr 6, 2019 3:10 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was ... alright. Pretty much what i expected from ufotable : pretty damn good art/animation, ok at best story/characters (so far anyway). Its only the first episode tho so we will see !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 6, 2019 3:30 PM

Aug 2018
I bet this is going to be one of those kinda cool darky shows that gets all the casuals hyped. Ok so far, but the first 10 minutes were a fking torture.
Apr 6, 2019 3:36 PM
Jul 2015
I don't think it was bad like 7/10 but not sure how the avg rating is 8.5/10... I don't think it was THAT good

but the series could easily pick up and become that good

Apr 6, 2019 3:40 PM
Feb 2019
Fantastic, 10 out of 10 for me
Apr 6, 2019 4:01 PM

Jun 2017
Amazing first episode
Ufotable does not disappoint, the animation and the opening is pretty nice
Plot seems to be good too!

EDIT: MUSIC/OST 10/10!
Apr 6, 2019 4:12 PM
Nov 2015
6 kids? What is this, a propaganda to increase Japan's birth rate?

It was OK, I guess, but I don't know if I'm interested in this kind of plot at the moment. I'll give it at least another episode.
felipeliborioApr 6, 2019 4:33 PM
Apr 6, 2019 4:20 PM

Feb 2019
My impression:

A few minutes of internal narration about goddamned everything happening in front of his face, then the other dude shows up and we have another excessively long conversation despite being supposedly in the middle of a deadly struggle. At this point, the camera starts flipping out, zooming all around, and just going crazy in general. Then the internal narration gets sucked into the other guy, and they just sit there staring at each other for about a minute straight because this dude has a goddamned encyclopedia to recite to the audience. At this point, we're about 17 minutes into the episode and the animators wake up for maybe fifteen seconds to animate something. Having completed that little scene, it's now time to do a review and recap of it, after which, the episode ends.

I don't have much more to add besides the recap, because I think it really speaks for itself. UFOTable did contribute some janky CGI snow and some of their trademark about the use of the shaky camera, the episode itself lacks real action all consisting of about five total scenes, four of which were teenagers yelling about their feelings.
Apr 6, 2019 4:21 PM
Mar 2019
Though its use of 3d during longshots and some short scenes worries me a bit that they might use it in fights or other stuff in the future, the animation is really solid and the artstyle is interesting even if the start was a bit cliché. Plus it's ufotable we're talking about, so I'm hoping that the animation stays great for the rest of the series.

The story itself is slow but when the Natagumo Mountain Arc begins, the story will go faster.

And Ufotable always uses CGI and knows how to handle it well even if you do not like it, but they dominate the CGI better than other studios, and yes, they use it in many fights and if you watched the series Fate is nothing special.
DrakenKnightApr 6, 2019 4:30 PM
Apr 6, 2019 4:29 PM

Apr 2016
this episode felt pretty well handled as a manga adaptation, the art style translates surprisingly well to anime form
I'm glad to see this series finally getting its anime, hopefully this one gains some popularity because I think its a pretty good story!
Apr 6, 2019 4:35 PM
Feb 2016
Anime suffers from "show, not tell" and this anime is not an exception. Even being a better first episode than many anime, I almost drop it at the beginning.

I don't know if the original source are light novel, manga or other stuff, but in these you've a limit of pictures and drawings, different of anime, that the opposite. When the protagonist are running with his suster, he Just start saying unnecesary stuff as "I can't breath properly" instead of showing it, and I could nitpick a lot of these moments here, but the last one is when he kneels to the swordsman guy for save her, it could be brilliant if they put the max effort on it, IMPACTFUL! But it was just good.

I hope that anime gets better and better. For that, they'll need to show instead of telling and adapt it well, because these types of anime are really difficult to get good, but when it's well done...

I don't know. For this episode only, I would give a 7 or 8, I'll wait 'till some four/five new episodes release to judge it properly.
iYonah_ShadyApr 6, 2019 4:39 PM
Apr 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Jul 2016
Great pilot episode. Sasuga ufotable, the music is great and animation. OP by LiSA is banger. Overall im hyped for the next episode

Apr 6, 2019 4:56 PM
Sep 2017
So good Animation, Music, story 9/10
Apr 6, 2019 4:58 PM

Sep 2018
From reading the synopsis alone I could tell this would be a unique dystopian anime, similar to Dororo (extremely happy that they are both airing).

The plot twist was a fantastic plot device; the feeling of unknowing alongside suspense makes the first episode both bloodcurdling and thrilling. Perfect way to start a supernatural narrative.

Dropping this anime based on the first episode would be a horrible mistake, as this anime shows a lot of promise. Can't wait to continue this anime & to see how the story develops.
Apr 6, 2019 5:02 PM

Aug 2013
That was a powerful start. Let's just hope this doesn't go into a shit fest like Owari no Seraph did.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 6, 2019 5:03 PM

Jun 2015
This first episode went exactly as I predicted. It's decent so far, but I don't think it's going to get any better.
Apr 6, 2019 5:20 PM

Aug 2009
YES, I'm so glad we're getting a new ufotable anime. I never ever get tired of their incredibly slick art and animation. I just want to bathe myself in ufotable's masterful drawings, ugh.

Not a big fan of shounen anime, but I just hope this one won't go the generic route. Of course this episode had some tropes, but it's largely forgivable because it JUST LOOKED SO GOOD. People are apparently pretty hyped for this, so I assume it'll improve.

Pretty great introduction to the series though. I'm looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 2019 5:24 PM
Oct 2017
Excited to watch more! There is a lot of potential for a really good show. I was turned off by the animation in the pv but it looked fine here. Art style is also very cool, reminds me of the Etrian Odyssey games.
Apr 6, 2019 5:29 PM
Nov 2018
Fantastic first episode and this looks like a great adaptation to a masterpiece manga so i'll be looking forward to it.
Apr 6, 2019 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
I loved This episode can't wait for more This may BE One of the best anime of the year or anime of the season,good animation ost the anime is beautiful just like fate(good job ufotable)the story isn't new so i want to see what is going to happen in the future
Apr 6, 2019 5:34 PM
Nov 2018
BlackstarFallen said:
This first episode went exactly as I predicted. It's decent so far, but I don't think it's going to get any better.

Well it is just the first episode and the first chapter of the manga adapted so i think it should be expected to get better.
Apr 6, 2019 5:35 PM
Nov 2018
Sabersquirl said:
Excited to watch more! There is a lot of potential for a really good show. I was turned off by the animation in the pv but it looked fine here. Art style is also very cool, reminds me of the Etrian Odyssey games.

How so?, the pv looked amazing and hyped up a lot of people, it was very solid all around.
Apr 6, 2019 5:37 PM

Oct 2014
Hmmmmm. Sucks that your family was slaughtered pal. Don't know anything else about them and even without reading the mal blurb you'd probably know what was coming. And that move Tanjirou makes with the axe? YEET.
But in all seriousness, the confrontation with the hunter was certainly moving. Tanjirou's desire to protect his sister, Nezuko's demonstrating (no pun intended) that she isn't completely gone by defending him, and especially the hunter going all "the strong survive and the weak die" but indicating that he was actually trying to hunt the demon and regrets not being able to save them? All these make me feel more confident about this show being more engaging than just "protag's family died boohoo". An op by LiSA? Nice scenery/animation, like all the hunter's movements? YES.
Plus it looks like T has some water element type moves and I think I saw one of the other people pull lightning? Not sure if they're actually using elemental powers or if it's some kind of visual choice but I really like elemental powers in anime and it's somewhat limited to shounen so that would be a plus.
Is it fair to compare to Dororo? Demon hunting in ancient Japan? Granted I haven't kept up with that series since ep 2 but it seems at least comparable on the surface.
Wonder if it's too much to hope to see Nezuko saved/reverted (assuming that's possible) and seeing how she reacts.
Apr 6, 2019 5:52 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Yes!! Another awesome Jump adaption!! Neverland, Kimetsu, Bokuben and Stone, my recent favorite Jump manga have all received anime.

This is a great way to start. While I was pet peeved by the 3DCG at first, the anime's artwork is absolutely great. Also a personal preference but I imagined Tanjirou to have more of a Deku voice than a Tai/Kaneki one. Loving this adaption already and can't wait to see more episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2019 5:59 PM

Apr 2015
This looks very promising, animation is really good, but that's what we have come to expect from the studio that brought us Fate/Zero & UBW...

Opening is LIT, done by Lisa but damn the animation made it even better.

From the PV I knew this was gonna be quite dark and all, but seeing Tanjiro's family slaughtered in that house is hard to unsee...
Apr 6, 2019 5:59 PM

Mar 2019
Was predictable that he would return home to his family being dead, but was a decent episode. Looking forward to seeing where it goes
Apr 6, 2019 6:01 PM

Sep 2015
Can anyone explain why there are electric power lines in the village Tanjirou goes to sell charcoal? What era of Japan is this suppose to take place in? I read the manga's 100+ chapters, but I didn't notice the power lines ever until now.
Apr 6, 2019 6:18 PM
Apr 2014
This manga is so lucky to have a competent studio adapted it. ufotable did a good job setting the mood of this series.
Apr 6, 2019 6:23 PM

Dec 2015
Great soundtrack and good animation, but so far that was it. Lets hope the story gets better later
Apr 6, 2019 6:24 PM
Dec 2016
i love how the main character feels ''real''? when he pointed out that his lungs were hurting because he was running too fast in the snow i was like.... that's okay friend.... you're a human after all
Apr 6, 2019 6:26 PM

Feb 2018
This first episode definitely got me hooked .
lots of monologue which i personally liked , animation look amazing as expected from ufotable ,
Great OST as well .
Apr 6, 2019 6:27 PM

Dec 2013
It was okayish. Not bad but nothing special either.
Just your typical ufotable adaptation -- good animation, mediocre directing.
Apr 6, 2019 7:00 PM

Jan 2011
shit this really is a jump series huh way more brutal than i was expecting, i've heard good things about this not being a complete typical shounen

so strange seeing ufotable doing this it looks clean and they aren't abusing their cg effects

hopefully it turns out good i got my eye on it.
Apr 6, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2010
Story looks a little generic but animation and voice acting are top notch! Also liking the character designs.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2019

200 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2019

198 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2019

235 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

274 by Restault »»
Jun 6, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

285 by Restault »»
Jun 5, 3:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.