Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Scum's Wish
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 24, 2017 10:48 PM
Aug 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Well I really don't know about everyone else but I think this was honestly one of the best episode's of the series.

Kanai might have his reasons for loving Akane but whatever they were, be it his lingering emotions for his Mom's death or whatever, his unconditional love and acceptance of Akane's habits succeeded in instilling hope in a person as broken and twisted as Akane. His acceptance gives her courage to try and become a better person, it gives her a more positive outlook on life as she accepts the marriage proposal and that in itself is something beautiful. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling throughout this whole ordeal. Whether Akane deserves him or if Kanai is naive here is not the point at all in my opinion.

Throughout this whole series, I've been trying to figure out what is it the author was trying to convey through this messed up story of broken people. I couldn't figure out what it was I was supposed to take away from a story like this, was it just guilty pleasure? I finally found it, It's a very simple lesson, something a lot of people find it hard to accept but it is possible, "People can change." No matter who you are, you can change be it through your own will (Hanabi) or with the help of others. (Akane) This right here is in my opinion the moral of this story.

You just snatched the words out of my mouth. Not everyone understands the depth here. They are just going along with the norms and since the relationships here don't follow the norms, it's upnormal. Well in a way it's fucked up but if no one of the two has problems with it then I don't see the problem in it. And in that sense, Kanai was the right person for her.
Mar 24, 2017 11:04 PM
Aug 2013
Skurd said:
I am amazed how ignorant people are to how relationships are in this world. Not everything is 2 people happily with only themselves.

There is a thing called swingers in case you guys did not know about that. It is a real thing.

As for this being close to reality.

I have 2 classmates. A guy and a girl. That girl is in a relationship and has slept with several people including him once. The guy loves that girl and knows she is a slut. He still wants that girl even if he do not believe she will only stay with him.

Love can make you blind or accept things which are not ideal.

If you like a girl very much, and the only way you can get her is if it is a threesome with an other dude. Then it would actually be possible that you end up doing that. First you might say no. But if the setting is there you never know.

Not everything is black and white. Get used to it.

And regarding Mugi being a minor. Sexual age is 13 in japan. And he goes in high school which makes him like at least 16 years old or so.

I think Akane is a bitch, but its her life how she want to live it.

Lastly I gotta say I think it is nice this anime got a different view on a lot of things in romance animes. Because this is kinda innovating in terms of the typical harem rom coms you see tons of each season.

Now to wait for episode 12 and Hanabi x Mugi ending. I felt anime all the way was leading up to that. And I was hoping for a plot twist... which I do not see coming now.

Well I guess there are some ppl who can't accept this. They don't have to apply for themselves but seriously, not all relationships are monogamous. I've read some articles and real life examples where either one or two of the pair haveb been involved with other ppl while being in a relationship. If those 2 involved don't have a problem then what's wrong with it. If that can make Akane change, see and 'feel' emotions then I honestly am happy with it. I really admire Kanai for that. He's simple minded but open to everything and very accepting.

Now I just need to see the other two babies (Mugi and Hanabi) grow like how Akane grew. I want them to be together but I don't know whether they will be or not. In the end, I just want to see them love themselves and receive love.
Mar 24, 2017 11:14 PM
Aug 2013
Also the amount of slut shaming in this thread is ridiculous lmao, a woman isn't some object that loses her worth with every time she's "used". It doesn't matter that Akane's had more sex that anyone posting shit about her, she's still a person.[/quote]

I'm glad atleast some people are able to understand. I agree with you.
Mar 25, 2017 2:11 AM

Jan 2011
nerdokingoftrash said:
To people saying that Kanai-sensei is unrealistic, well, I've given it quite a thought, and it's actually a quite fitting character in this show. His outlook on love is not as mature as you would believe. He's just as broken as the other characters, it's just that his way of being broken - his mother's death fueling his frustrated desire for attachment so that he would be willing to accept mostly anything as long as it's the person he loves - is *exactly* what Akane needed. She *needed* to be accepted. That's why Kanai won the Akane-bowl - and that *does* make him /ourguy/, I guess.
most acceptable explanation for Kanai's action and feelings, thanks.
Mar 25, 2017 4:23 AM
Dec 2009
Wow, I did not see that coming. Akane is starting to change, choosing to get married is a big first step but maybe she needed something that drastic to get her started. I'm not sure what to think of Narumi's flashbacks, I'm not sure if we were supposed to just interpret them as him thinking of his mother and Hanabi as other people he loved, or what. Akane seems very similar to his mother and I’m not sure if his unconditional love for her is supposed to stem from that, or from some other connection they have.

This was a really nice episode though. I feel like Mugi may have finally gotten the closure he needed. So what will happen now? Will Mugi go back to Hanabi? Not sure if I want that to happen. I feel like they both need to move on and find new love…
Mar 25, 2017 5:39 AM
Mar 2010
For me this was actually pretty realistic resolve to Akane's arc. I know many people find it ridiculous, but from my perspective jealousy sometimes make you cheat, pressures you to do it. Akane, who was thinking every men is jealous was driven by that, it amused her. That feeling was so strange and unknown for her that it made her do it again and again. Many people do cheat because of the jealosy of their partners, it drives them to do it. This show keeps on being uncomfortably realistic for me that I like it more and more, I wish it wasn't almost at its end.
Mar 25, 2017 6:03 AM

Jun 2013
ProjectSeoul said:
I felt like this was pretty rushed. Like suddenly Kanai is asking to marry her? Like you had sex twice and were never an official couple.

People get married after one date, people are crazy like that. Some of them last and some of them break up and never talk to each other again. In South Korea, our middle-aged neighbor married a woman he met once on a blind date because he wanted to shut his parents up about him getting married.

Also another case in point, my coworker's husband has cheated on her multiple times. Even long before they were married, he was always cheating on her. Everyone is different and yadda yadda, we shouldn't judge others, yadda yadda, honestly I think she should leave him. Her logic is this, "as long as he comes home to me at the end of the day, I don't care what he does." I feel sorry for her but that's her life and how she wants to live it. They also have two young boys. I'm guessing that's another factor why she's staying.

---

I guess the reason Kanai-oniichan likes the slut is because she looks like his mom?

It's funny how some people feel like this series has ruined their concept of love. LOL Did you guys honestly think love was all about farting rainbows and vomiting roses before you watched this series? Honestly, welcome to the real world where the relationships in this series are vanilla compared to what happens in the real world.

Poor Mugi, the delusional fucker thinking he could change her. He's in high school, what does he think he could offer her?

Why do characters always say, "Thank you" after being confessed to? LOL. Here's one character pouring out their heart and soul and all they say is thank you? Okay.
臭い-
Mar 25, 2017 8:53 AM

Sep 2015
2thuriel said:
Too many people are blinded by literal meaning.

what "literal meaning" do you mean?
Mar 25, 2017 10:15 AM
Nov 2016
People are hung up on taking Akane's words about cheating at face value and missing how hollow they are at this point. The episode is packed with information that implies that she actually will not cheat. It is just another way for her to probe Kanai's feelings like she did before.
Mar 25, 2017 10:30 AM

Jul 2009
Uhh ... what. OK, I did NOT expect that to happen. I was fine with Akane being surprised at how she was feeling, because Kanai is just kind of weird ... being OK with being cheated on ... and then asking her to MARRY him wtf??? I can't believe she said yes! I guess they really want to push them together so Hanabi will end up with Mugi next episode or something? Plus it seems like Akane really reminds Kanai of his mother too lol. I'm kinda sad because I was rooting for Akane/Mugi :( Their date in the second half was nice, but I guess he realized that he wasn't going to be able to change Akane because he liked her the way she was. Well I guess he's properly "rejected" now ... sigh. Yeah I didn't like the direction this episode went in >_<
Mar 25, 2017 11:00 AM
Nov 2016
A Kanai centered episode that clarifies the whole mother issue is what's really missing in the show.
Mar 25, 2017 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
Lelouch0202 said:
Throughout this whole series, I've been trying to figure out what is it the author was trying to convey through this messed up story of broken people. I couldn't figure out what it was I was supposed to take away from a story like this, was it just guilty pleasure? I finally found it, It's a very simple lesson, something a lot of people find it hard to accept but it is possible, "People can change." No matter who you are, you can change be it through your own will (Hanabi) or with the help of others. (Akane) This right here is in my opinion the moral of this story.
Interesting, thanks for sharing haha. I definitely agree with you.

Ahh this episode. I'm happy that Kanai accepts her, in spite of her disgusting hobby (which is quite shocking since I'm sure most people would not). Whether he's stupid or not, I guess he's both. I mean if he had the intentions to change her from the beginning, then gg all worked in his favor, but if she continues to cheat on him throughout their marriage, then welp, that sucks, but I don't think that'll be the case. I'm really curious as to why he loves her tho, I mean what is there to possibly love about her? Someone please enlighten me with a reason that's unrelated to sympathy or lust.

With Mugi, it's cool to see that he actually understood Akane, but unfortunately he was just a bit late to the party. All that's really missing now is closure between/for Mugi and Hanabi. Is Hanabi even a main character lol like I don't mind all the screen time Akane had because she was pretty interesting, but it's just a bit weird that they pretty much cast off Hanabi aside for Akane's sake. Wonder what's gonna happen now between Mugi and Hanabi.

caught in the wonder
Mar 25, 2017 1:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
LOL, Sensei is such a big time cuckold. No matter what Akane does or which way she spins it, he'll forgive it. I applaud this story for having the stones of showing that beautiful people sometimes win no matter their morals, just on the account of them being beautiful.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 25, 2017 2:50 PM
Jun 2016
Narumi feels fake... who would want to stay with a person that is dumping him in the same time? He just got more feelings because of the ressemblence Akane has to his mom. Poor Mugi, wonder if he will stay with Hanabi...
Mar 25, 2017 3:07 PM

Mar 2016
Lol that was a really fast marriage proposal and I guess he really was a cuckold. That just shows there is a person to match everyone and even sluts have people that will love them.
Mar 25, 2017 3:52 PM

Jun 2015
Shaily said:
Also the amount of slut shaming in this thread is ridiculous lmao, a woman isn't some object that loses her worth with every time she's "used". It doesn't matter that Akane's had more sex that anyone posting shit about her, she's still a person.

I'm glad atleast some people are able to understand. I agree with you.[/quote]

Ikr, half of the people here are calling Kanai a cuck and Akane a slut and completely put their feelings aside. I think that if you have ever been in love with someone, you know that you see past their flaws, even if it's not always healthy, it happens.

It's also kind of contradictory to see this kind of behaviour since half of this thread only can see women as something that is in this world to please them and owe them sex from the moment that they talk to them, but at the same time there is this stigma about all women being "pure" and to be there only for them.
Mar 25, 2017 5:02 PM
Nov 2016
Akane likes being a cruel "slut" and only loves herself... Except she doesn't. It's just another role that she plays. So few people are pointing this stuff out.

Her inner self spells out her character point blank. She wants to collect all the colors by which she means all the people's emotions. Why? She actually has no reason to give... She is always looking for what she knows not. She doesn't know why she keeps doing what she's doing. She even says she is not suited for it because she doesn't feel. Not only that but she wants to be forgotten. Akane doesn't love her true self.

People give definite answers saying, "That's who she is. The slut that will keep cheating." But that is a strong and I would argue strongly misguided thing to say about a character who has up to that point failed to find herself - she gives no reason this episode to define her so clearly.

In her memories she is confused by a boy's anger at her being with another. But with Kanai she finally breaks down and says it bothers her that he isn't upset because she finally feels and in feeling she understands. She wants him to want more from her. It's how she understands love and she has a point, they both do. Akane receives his "true love" but says it's not enough and guides him to give in to desire. It's his "pure" love meeting her sexuality to make a whole. Kinda poetic.

Long story short Akane is fulfilled in a way that all the terrible and "impure" things she has been doing before... all the things she claims to the outside world to like doing... have... failed... to fulfill her. So what reason is there to give for her to keep doing them other than "that's what we we know her to do"?

And finally Akane says she will keep cheating but I think the only thing she means to say by that is "Are you sure you really love me?" Because she has the self awareness to still be shocked that someone would truly love her with all her faults.

Her final act in the episode and probably in her entire story arc is to let Mugi go. Not to use his feelings against him, not to twist him into knots like old Akane would do. But just to thank him and she looks kinder doing so than anything she did before. It's a meaningful act that points to where she is going.

Is all that "realistic"? I don't really care. But too many people are saying the author pulled it out of her butt and clearly that's not the case.
Mar 25, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2013
They will be happy. The assumed cuck is always happy.
Mar 25, 2017 6:06 PM

Mar 2016
I gone from liking Akane to HATING her and now I love her... like when she was enlightened I was just like.... yes! I still don't understand this thing with Mugi I'm pretty sure the relationship is ILLEGAL!

Naurmi had a crush on Hanabi... I KNEW IT. My proof is when he was talking about love and stuff and how he didn't want to hurt those people, welllll he had a flash back to that one time ... like he didn't want to hurt Hanabi and didn't get into a relationship because he was TO SCARED TO HURT HER.

Well I wonder how it'll end... I really like the series and I hope there's a second season if there isn't I'm definilty going to read the manga so I can get more of the story!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2017 6:14 PM

Aug 2010
Akane may be a bit over the top, but that may be necessary to get the point of her character across in the story. A sacrifice of realism for ease of understanding you might say.

A lot of women are like Akane, just not as self aware or obvious. Women like making other women jealous and they are in constant competition with each other. Women are the source of unrealistic body expectations for women every bit as men are.
Mar 25, 2017 9:28 PM

Aug 2008
So Kanai is fine with with Akane cheating on him even though they are married?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 26, 2017 4:08 AM

Jul 2015
This was way too similar to how my relationship with a certain ex started...
Hard to explain things like that, so I can't really blame too much on people who think this was dumb.

Poor onii-san will get dry by that girl -if you know what I mean ;3- and then bitch-sensei will remember she is complete garbage.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Mar 26, 2017 6:47 AM
Jan 2016
Man at first thumbs up for kanai sensei.
What he did was really unexpected.
Mar 26, 2017 8:48 AM

Jan 2008
Zapredon said:
So Kanai is fine with with Akane cheating on him even though they are married?

If he is well aware and even gives her permission to do as she wishes then it wouldn't really be considered cheating, would it? It would be called an "open relationship". Not common, but these types of relationships do exist... although I guess a vast majority of them do end eventually as most people can't deal with the feelings of jealousy that such an arrangement brings, understandably. Feels wrong, feels icky. :P Wouldn't personally want to get in one but eh, I guess some people do so what is it to anyone else really?
sedtzMar 26, 2017 8:57 AM
Mar 26, 2017 9:34 AM

Jan 2015
Dumb or not, I still loved the direction this anime took
Mar 26, 2017 11:19 AM

Jul 2016
Well, I still hate Akane. Despite everything, she still somehow manages to steal all the attention from Hanabi. I just hate that.

Kanai, what the hell are you doing :) seriously, I just wish for Hanabi to be with him soooooo badly, but it doesn't seem possible anymore. Have fun with your new life with Akane, Kanai.

Seeing Mugi cry was too much for me. Seems like he's gonna end up with Hanabi? That's where it might be going.
Mar 26, 2017 12:07 PM

Jul 2016
Well now I really wanna punch something. This episode made me rage uncontrollably. Worst part is I can actually see the reasoning behind it. Kanai sensei is officially as fucked up as akane.

I was extremely happy tho, when mugi got a good taste of reality. Yesssss.
damn, the forums these days...
Mar 26, 2017 12:54 PM

Sep 2013
Ha....... the anime male MCs sure are something. Good for them, but I think i'm disappointed with Akane, such great chara but awkward transition. Mugi still seems like a kuzu, don't know if HanaxMugi is likable end for them.
Mar 26, 2017 2:35 PM
Mar 2015
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
For me it's the weakest part of the story and really bad writing.

I do like the idea of the antagonist changing and getting a happy ending but you must make me believe it happened.

Here we have a guy who falls in love with a sweet teacher, the second he learns the sweet teacher is a manipulative man eating woman, so let say a totally different person ... he doesn't react, he doesn't even think about it, that's even funny in an anime with a lot of monologues. There's not one moment in the show where he could give some quality to Akane, I don't know, she has humor, she is passionate about music, she is hardworking, whatever, no, there's nothing shown before and after the change that could help understand why Kanai sensei stays in love despite the change of person, and there's just no reaction, no questioning.

Now true there are some dumb shallow men in this world. As long as the girl is cute, they go for it, even though going for marriage, that's a bit less probable but sure it happens.

Now now, Akane, she's not stupid. Then comes someone to her totally shallow, totally stupid and boring, and because he loves her face, her ass and her boobs, she becomes emotional and falls in love? "Wow! this guy is so stupid and so beta, he just loves me for my body, I think I'm falling in love! Marriage? sure!"

We all saw thousands of average romances where cute girl falls in love with beta MC for no reason, here we have the same bad average writing, he falls in love with no reason and she falls in love with no reason. Well at least he "accepted" her (ass and boobs). At the minimum there were some good reasons for Akane to laugh. She sure has seen some D... but with this level of shallowness and marriage proposal? Why did she not laugh like us?

It feels really too forced. Maybe the mangaka had no time to write something credible. I don't know but since I consider Akane's characterisation as a failure right from the start, I don't care much, she wasn't credible in the beginning and she is even less now. I just want to know if we'll see a "get finally together" between Hanabi and Mugi or a "sorry, bad timing, it's over, bye bye" next week.

Exactly.

Another thing people are missing is that people like Akane DO NOT CHANGE. and anyone who says otherwise is a flat out liar. She's not going to no matter what you think.
Mar 26, 2017 2:40 PM
Mar 2015
Zantius said:
This series has quite possibly destroyed my thoughts on "love". Like the bad end is everywhere.

Absolutely. I mean what idiot would want to go through this when you have evil people win the day because they masquerade that they will change.

That's why I cant this series, cause it makes you not believe in love.
Mar 26, 2017 3:09 PM

Feb 2016
I do like that Akane is having trouble with Narumi because he's not acting like a typical guy. She was always obsessed with taking advantage of male lust, but here she feels less in control because she doesn't have that same leverage with Narumi. He cares more about romance and love than just lust, or in other words, cares about her person more than her body. The problem, of course, is that her person is quite rotten.

But there is hope. I really like how they are fleshing out Akane because up until a few episodes ago, she was the weakest part of the anime. It's incredibly telling how she's confused about how Narumi can love her despite what she does, it shows she doesn't understand love and doesn't feel it, but now sh'es trying. Narumi hit the nail on the head. You can't really explain love. You just want the person you love to be happy and you love them because of who they are and not who you want them to be. The difficulty here is knowing whether you really know someone or not.

Also, it looks like Akane is finally opening up, which makes me think she was more shut-in by choice rather than by being a sociopath. She saw how much love can hurt and decided to avoid pain by never loving. But now with Narumi, she has realized that the pain is worth the risk and even if it hurts, it makes you stronger.

I think the proposal, though, took it a bit too far, and Narumi really played his hand too early. It's quite right that she's not even close to being changed, but we opened up that door and it feels like Narumi wasn't content with having the door open alone, he decided to bring the whole wall down. That seems like a mistake. I suppose it may work out.

Nice to see a resolution for Mugi, but not much to say there. Seems he realized that she really didn't want to change and that he couldn't change who she was anyway. Though unbeknownst to Mugi, Akane does seem to be heading toward feeling or at least understanding love.

Mar 26, 2017 4:48 PM

Apr 2016
Justice_Rocks said:

Another thing people are missing is that people like Akane DO NOT CHANGE. and anyone who says otherwise is a flat out liar. She's not going to no matter what you think.

Yes they can change.
It's just here with king of boredom Kanai and the way it's presented I don't buy into it. But since you don't like Akane, you should be happy, here she said yes to a trip to the hell of boredom with a guy who's so dumb he can't understand any joke. I mean, which girl would like to marry the typical bland beta-kun who can't fuck without being drunk? Akane was probably still drunk that morning when she said yes. Poor thing.

The most realistic aspect in their story : alcohol! It's true without alcohol a lot of love-story would never happen in this world :)

"I was drunk, and that's how it all started with your mother ..." That's a true mature romance for you! Ha ha ha!
Mar 26, 2017 7:39 PM

May 2009
lol what a cuck , and probably a mother-con. I wanna see how this all rolls out.
Mar 26, 2017 8:33 PM

Aug 2010
LMAO ill just fuel the storm...again i won't discuss the principle of the feeling that Akane (antagonist) doesn't deserve to be happy cuz she build up so much hate that it feels surreal to just let her go that easily...it just feels fake and brings down the story down quite a bit but again after that gloom fuck fest at the beginning i think every one wished for a "happily ever after..." kind of ending which is nice since congratulations u withstood the shitfest here's your reward

Now what happens at the end? Does Hana free herself of that needyness or is Mugi gonna crawl back to her? boi are we in for a feast either she repairs him or he stay an empty substitute fuck boy
Mar 26, 2017 10:05 PM

Jul 2013
fedos said:
Call it whatever. Unrealistic, screwed up, or in fact cynically realistic for the horrible but beautiful people to win.

But I like this. Even if simply that it screws with what was "supposed to happen". Akane was supposed to get "what she deserves".

THIS! is why i loved this episode so much!
i definitely have conflicted feelings because /of course/ i would have loved to see akane's demise, but this...

sure, we see bad guys "win" all the time in media, but more often than not it's nothing more than getting away with their actions (be it because of a failing justice system or the hero doing that bullshit But Would I Be Any Better If...?) and it kind of feels like a hollow victory and generally just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. excuse my language, but: it's a pussy ending. writers these days aren't willing to take risks (something that has been riling me up for a number of years now - storytelling in every medium has become ridiculously lazy, but that's for another day), except this guy did! akane's not only getting away with what she's done, but she's having her cake and eating it too! i love it!

as others have said, it's a very ballsy ending.

(and you can always view it from a more positive lens, with the emphasis on the message of 'people can change'.)

alla that aside,

i also really hope mugi ends up alone, lmao. he's played himself all along and we know noriko has moved on from his sad ass and i hope hanabi truly has, too.

hanabi and sanae would've been such an ideal ending but i know it won't happen. :/ even though akane's shit was resolved with 1 episode i don't think the author will have cared enough to resolve a lesbian relationship and make it healthy(ier?) over pairing hanabi with mugi and sanae with her cousin. *sigh*

idk whatever happens i really hope hanabi gets a happy ending, especially since she's kind of been akane's foil from the beginning... but now i think about it that means it's equally as likely that she'll get a grim ending lolol. i guess it depends on whether the author wants to see through the kinda doom-and-gloom feeling the series has had up until now or whether it's going to have an overall/mostly resolved and happy ending.

but i reiterate: i want mugi to remain cucked, lmao. idk man i'm still MAD bitter about how he ditched hanabi, which in itself could probably have been forgiven IF it had not been for him allowing himself to be played over and over - AND OVER - again. buuuuuut... yeah as good and original this series has been i'm not going to keep my hopes up; anime law dictates that he and hanabi will get together and "heal" each other lmao.

/wow this went on a bit of a rant, apologies folks
Mar 26, 2017 10:17 PM

Oct 2015
Everyone is playing checker meanwhile... Narumi is playing chess. Dayum what a player to outplay the like of Akane.
Mar 26, 2017 10:17 PM

Oct 2013
Not bad, not bad at all. And let's be honest here, Akane's role made this series interesting. I guess she was most likely kidding about the cheating thing but if not then Kanai and Akane both are fucked up persons lol.
Mar 27, 2017 5:12 AM

Oct 2016
Oh damn... looks like we're wrong about thinking Akane is the supporting character in this show lol. Even in the opening song, she's indeed the main focus in this anime arc.

Oh well, I love how she was able to change her twisted self because of another semi-twisted (in a good way) guy.

I hope she will indeed change and stop the cheating for good.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Mar 27, 2017 5:58 AM

May 2016
This anime sure taught me something. In love you have to hurry. You don't know what future brings.
Mar 27, 2017 7:50 AM

Jul 2015
Well, kinda disappointed with the conclusion of Akane's arc. It is so absurd to end this arc with Kanai-sensei's twisted personality. You know author, this is not Durarara where we can expected so many twisted characters and events LMAO.

But I am glad that she is finally gone. That last scene of this episode is really beautiful. I like the art of this anime really much.

I will be glad if this anime ended with Hana and Mugi not being together. 4/5 for this episode. Still a few screen time for Hana ;-;
Mar 27, 2017 10:35 AM

Oct 2013
Shaily said:
Lelouch0202 said:
Well I really don't know about everyone else but I think this was honestly one of the best episode's of the series.

Kanai might have his reasons for loving Akane but whatever they were, be it his lingering emotions for his Mom's death or whatever, his unconditional love and acceptance of Akane's habits succeeded in instilling hope in a person as broken and twisted as Akane. His acceptance gives her courage to try and become a better person, it gives her a more positive outlook on life as she accepts the marriage proposal and that in itself is something beautiful. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling throughout this whole ordeal. Whether Akane deserves him or if Kanai is naive here is not the point at all in my opinion.

You just snatched the words out of my mouth. Not everyone understands the depth here. They are just going along with the norms and since the relationships here don't follow the norms, it's upnormal. Well in a way it's fucked up but if no one of the two has problems with it then I don't see the problem in it. And in that sense, Kanai was the right person for her.

Reading this threat, I actually still find it rather amazing at how much some people got used to their mainstream "romance" anime to the point that they're quick to point out how how unrealistic they feel Kuzu no Honkai is, when it's the complete opposite.

Damn, now I REALLY think we need more anime like this, White Album 2, Nana, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, etc. Heck, it's fine if other romance anime at least take some parts of them. Obviously, the standard vanilla romance animes have their place but the scales ain't balanced at all. Like, I don't recall any romance anime that with a more mature & realistic tone from WA2 until this one(and if there was any and I missed it, someone please let me know < 3). I know that these types of shows coming out too often wouldn't be that good of an idea due to their heavier tone and that their impact is stronger due to the fact that they're so rare as well, but even so, the time we have to wait until one comes out is generally WAY too long.
Mar 27, 2017 10:58 AM

Sep 2015
This is messed up you can't make me like Akane. Not after all she's done. The under 18 students she's seduced. The comically over the top manipulations, lust and lies. Now you want me to feel happy for her that she's settled down in a good reasonable relationship? Well I am because she's a cute anime girl. And her date with Onii-chan sensei was too freaking adorable for both of them. But I won't be happy about it. And I'll only be a little sad when Mugi makes his passionate rain soaked declaration of unrequited love. It's hard to complain, Akane was the worst part. And now she and the other teacher seem to be leaving the picture. Their story has played out. He turned the ho into a housewife with his pure unearned and unrealistic, unconditional love. Now Mugi and Hanabi just need to figure their shit out and we can call it a day on this series.
Mar 27, 2017 3:53 PM

Oct 2008
The heck!?!? Kanai-sensei proposed to slut-Akane and she said yes...okay...that's already messed-up...and then slut-Akane said "I'm going to cheat on you all the time" then i paused the video and said to my self: "THIS IS SO WRONG IN MANY WAYS!"
5/5.

Mar 27, 2017 5:08 PM
Mar 2015
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Justice_Rocks said:

Yes they can change.
It's just here with king of boredom Kanai and the way it's presented I don't buy into it. But since you don't like Akane, you should be happy, here she said yes to a trip to the hell of boredom with a guy who's so dumb he can't understand any joke. I mean, which girl would like to marry the typical bland beta-kun who can't fuck without being drunk? Akane was probably still drunk that morning when she said yes. Poor thing.

The most realistic aspect in their story : alcohol! It's true without alcohol a lot of love-story would never happen in this world :)

"I was drunk, and that's how it all started with your mother ..." That's a true mature romance for you! Ha ha ha!

Agreed again.

Another thing that really gets under my skin is that people called this 'romantic' even though its a load of crap.
Mar 27, 2017 7:21 PM

Jul 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Now now, Akane, she's not stupid. Then comes someone to her totally shallow, totally stupid and boring, and because he loves her face, her ass and her boobs, she becomes emotional and falls in love? "Wow! this guy is so stupid and so beta, he just loves me for my body, I think I'm falling in love! Marriage? sure!"
Her boobs and ass were totally the reasons he was drawn to her. Totally. It definitely wasn't the fact that she looked like his mother, no not at all...

"He just loves me for my body"
Seriously? She's had countless men like that coiled around her fingers before. Its that he loves her unconditionally and without regard to what she's done in the past / what she "threatens" to do in the future, that causes her to fall in love with him.
Justice_Rocks said:
Tokoya said:
Actually you're wrong

1. She would be in jail IF she got caught....There are tons of examples of something like this going on IRL and not all of them are ever brought to light. But even so, being in relations of that nature with someone much younger than you is something that happens almost everywhere despite it being looked down upon by most

2. It's no excuse either because something of this nature CAN happen, and the only other variable is that usually, people like Akane end up never changing but the fact of the matter is, in today's society, this is very much realism

3. We need stories like this because some people are tired of the same old high school romance/drama series like Ore Monogatari etc where the characters are too shy to fucking hold hands for the longest yet alone kiss...This current generation and to an extent my own as well are quite sexually active

And like I said in that other thread, there are people in the world that are this level of shitty.....Don't write off something as being "bad writing" or unrealistic or "shit" just because you yourself do not personally identity or relate to it
1. Fine. But stuff like eventually comes to light because a slip of the tongue, it happens.

2. Okay, fine. When you put it can happen i can't argue with that cause anything is possible.

3. Stop right there. You're not only wrong on this, you are very wrong.

First of all, why do we need more stories that make us feel bad?

The world has enough problems and life is wearing all of us down, why do we need content that we use as escape to remind us our life is terrible? It doesn't drive us to be better, it doesn't inspire us, it just makes us grumble and angered because it gives us no hope.

Also, whats wrong with sunshine and rainbows? It's one of peoples remainder that there is still an ounce of good in this world. It makes us happy for a few hours and has us dreaming big and wondering how we can make us better and how we can go forward.

Why take that away and fill it with depressing void? So you can make others suffer with you cause your life sucks? Well let me tell you something. Every person has their own share of pain, no one is without it. Why do I need to know it, keep it to yourself. If you want to share it so badly, share it with someone who will take the burden with you.

Stop throwing it up on us. I dont want your pain, I have enough of my own as it is.

And if your sexually active, why is that their problem or my problem? Learn to control it before it controls you. Save yourself for your husband or wife, is that so difficult?!
First off, not everyone uses anime as an escape mechanism.

"doesn't drive us to be better, doesn't inspire us"
These stories can easily be examples of actions not to take, of evils you shouldn't commit, of lessons to learn without leaning them the hard way (by having them enacted in real life) etc etc. A story doesn't have to be sunshine and rainbows to inspire people. People can watch plenty of miserable situations and feel "Man, I don't ever want to be in these kinds of situations, how do I avoid that?"

"Why do I need to know it, keep it to yourself. If you want to share it so badly, share it with someone who will take the burden with you."
No, people shouldn't have to keep feelings to themselves. They shouldn't have to be selective about who they share it with. "boo hoo, reading/ seeing sad stuff makes me feel bad" This is internet we're talking about here, where large amounts of content is consumed visually. You have the option to look away, to skim past "problematic" posts, to not watch "depressing" anime. Why are YOU dictating what can and can't be shared and who it should be shared with?

"Stop throwing it up on us. I dont want your pain"
No one is actually doing that. And I don't mean within just this thread. No one's actively going around to every site you visit, spamming your profiles with sad stories and depressing tales. If someone is seriously stalking you to the point where they bombard you with "feelsbadman" stories, you have other issues to consider rather than "oh my god these stories hurt me".
Fredo_p said:
The fact that he proposed to her, knowing full well she'll cheat on him, makes you feel sorry for him and understand how sorry he must feel for her.
But the greatest thing that shocks me is what she says to Mugi (I'll get to that in a bit).
To which I direct you to:
fedos said:
People are hung up on taking Akane's words about cheating at face value and missing how hollow they are at this point. The episode is packed with information that implies that she actually will not cheat. It is just another way for her to probe Kanai's feelings like she did before.

DatRandomDude said:
Kanai is officially the biggest cuck in anime.
Also i lol'd pretty hard when Kanai and Akane decided to marry when they just had sex for 2 nights and barely did anything else.

What about the fact that they were also dating for 3 months... I still personally think the marriage proposal is jumping the gun a whole lot but they certainly did more than just have two nights of sex.
fedos said:
Akane likes being a cruel "slut" and only loves herself... Except she doesn't. It's just another role that she plays. So few people are pointing this stuff out.

Her inner self spells out her character point blank. She wants to collect all the colors by which she means all the people's emotions. Why? She actually has no reason to give... She is always looking for what she knows not. She doesn't know why she keeps doing what she's doing. She even says she is not suited for it because she doesn't feel. Not only that but she wants to be forgotten. Akane doesn't love her true self.

People give definite answers saying, "That's who she is. The slut that will keep cheating." But that is a strong and I would argue strongly misguided thing to say about a character who has up to that point failed to find herself - she gives no reason this episode to define her so clearly.

In her memories she is confused by a boy's anger at her being with another. But with Kanai she finally breaks down and says it bothers her that he isn't upset because she finally feels and in feeling she understands. She wants him to want more from her. It's how she understands love and she has a point, they both do. Akane receives his "true love" but says it's not enough and guides him to give in to desire. It's his "pure" love meeting her sexuality to make a whole. Kinda poetic.

Long story short Akane is fulfilled in a way that all the terrible and "impure" things she has been doing before... all the things she claims to the outside world to like doing... have... failed... to fulfill her. So what reason is there to give for her to keep doing them other than "that's what we we know her to do"?

And finally Akane says she will keep cheating but I think the only thing she means to say by that is "Are you sure you really love me?" Because she has the self awareness to still be shocked that someone would truly love her with all her faults.

Her final act in the episode and probably in her entire story arc is to let Mugi go. Not to use his feelings against him, not to twist him into knots like old Akane would do. But just to thank him and she looks kinder doing so than anything she did before. It's a meaningful act that points to where she is going.

Is all that "realistic"? I don't really care. But too many people are saying the author pulled it out of her butt and clearly that's not the case.
Thanks for the post. Truly was something I needed to have read.
jaxter0987Mar 27, 2017 7:28 PM
Mar 27, 2017 8:57 PM
Mar 2015
OKAY STOP! STOP RIGHT THERE! NO, no no no no no no no. Stop right there
@jaxter0987 . What the hell are you talking about?!

"Akane likes being a cruel "slut" and only loves herself... Except she doesn't. It's just another role that she plays. So few people are pointing this stuff out.

Is all that "realistic"? I don't really care. But too many people are saying the author pulled it out of her butt and clearly that's not the case."

@fedos is thinking way to deep about this and needs to back up. He clearly doesn't know people if he thinks she doesn't love herself. She can say she doesn't, but her actions clearly show she's FULLY in love with herself. anytime someone is me me, what about me? MY FEELINGS! MY LIFE! they are clearly in love with themselves.

Uh... No Fedo's, it's not misguided to say she'll keep cheating because she will and she's full of crap. When you spend your life lying, cheating, stealing, you reach a point of no return. Akane is way past that and it doesn't make sense to me why people are willing to think this character will change.

How many times do I spell it out? People like that do not change, and they never will. She's not going to, no matter what this moron for an writer thinks, who clearly lives in la la land and hell at the same time. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

And other thing... Actually you know what? i'm not going to argue with you people anymore. Cause apparently I cant make a case no matter what I say. So what's the point? I'm tired of going around the mountain on what is clearly wrong depiction that should have you screaming what the hell kinda person likes this garbage?

My bottomline; This arc was bullshit. Akane is a pathetic witch, Narumi is a moron for falling into this nonsense. This series is terrible, and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

That's it, I rest whatever case or my point was.
Justice_RocksMar 27, 2017 9:02 PM
Mar 28, 2017 1:56 AM

Apr 2016
jaxter0987 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Her boobs and ass were totally the reasons he was drawn to her. Totally. It definitely wasn't the fact that she looked like his mother, no not at all...

"He just loves me for my body"
Seriously? She's had countless men like that coiled around her fingers before. Its that he loves her unconditionally and without regard to what she's done in the past / what she "threatens" to do in the future, that causes her to fall in love with him.

There's a big contradiction in what you say, didn't you notice? You say he doesn't love her only for her appearance and then you said he loves her unconditionally because Akane looks like his mother. It's a fact his "love" is so unconditional and superficial that he doesn't care about her personality, he doesn't even know yet how she truly is and how boring she thinks he is.

Kanai sensei would marry Hitler if the later looked like his mother. Yes this guy is that superficial and it should be obvious for Akane who probably had already tons of men who were after her body more than her "inner beauty". So why all of a suden is it something "new" for her that makes her change? Well it just makes no sense. Maybe she sees him like a stranger cuter pet dog (than the others), that could be an explanation but I think the mangaka tried to sell us a "love changed her" which could happen (I like the idea), but the way it's written here, it is not credible. It's a flaw.
Mar 28, 2017 3:50 AM
Nov 2016
@jaxter0987 You're welcome. :)

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

There's a big contradiction in what you say, didn't you notice? You say he doesn't love her only for her appearance and then you said he loves her unconditionally because Akane looks like his mother. It's a fact his "love" is so unconditional and superficial that he doesn't care about her personality, he doesn't even know yet how she truly is and how boring she thinks he is.

Kanai sensei would marry Hitler if the later looked like his mother. Yes this guy is that superficial and it should be obvious for Akane who probably had already tons of men who were after her body more than her "inner beauty". So why all of a suden is it something "new" for her that makes her change? Well it just makes no sense. Maybe she sees him like a stranger cuter pet dog (than the others), that could be an explanation but I think the mangaka tried to sell us a "love changed her" which could happen (I like the idea), but the way it's written here, it is not credible. It's a flaw.

That's a lot of grandiose assumptions for a character that isn't really explored in much detail.

Justice_Rocks said:

@fedos is thinking way to deep about this and needs to back up. He clearly doesn't know people if he thinks she doesn't love herself. She can say she doesn't, but her actions clearly show she's FULLY in love with herself. anytime someone is me me, what about me? MY FEELINGS! MY LIFE! they are clearly in love with themselves.

Uh... No Fedo's, it's not misguided to say she'll keep cheating because she will and she's full of crap. When you spend your life lying, cheating, stealing, you reach a point of no return. Akane is way past that and it doesn't make sense to me why people are willing to think this character will change.

How many times do I spell it out? People like that do not change, and they never will. She's not going to, no matter what this moron for an writer thinks, who clearly lives in la la land and hell at the same time. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

And other thing... Actually you know what? i'm not going to argue with you people anymore. Cause apparently I cant make a case no matter what I say. So what's the point? I'm tired of going around the mountain on what is clearly wrong depiction that should have you screaming what the hell kinda person likes this garbage?

My bottomline; This arc was bullshit. Akane is a pathetic witch, Narumi is a moron for falling into this nonsense. This series is terrible, and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

That's it, I rest whatever case or my point was.

You should maybe go chill a little. People think she can change because they can read the direction of the story. You seem really full of yourself and angry. If you think it's all bs you are free to do that.

It's a story. Lots of things in stories are more dramatic and larger than real life. And, yes, even in real life people have changed in dramatic fashion. It's maybe one in ten million but do you want a story about the average thing happening?

I've said it here before, it's kind of a fairy tale ending. But sometimes even real stories are like something you think you could only read in a story.
fedosMar 28, 2017 4:34 AM
Mar 28, 2017 4:27 AM

Apr 2016
fedos said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

That's a lot of grandiose assumptions for a character that isn't really explored in much detail.

I'm glad we agree on the fact a character has no depth.
Mar 28, 2017 4:33 AM
Nov 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I'm glad we agree on the fact a character has no depth.

It's true that a Kanai centered episode would benefit the story a lot.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2017

436 by Relp1905 »»
May 11, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2017

433 by unbigou »»
Mar 24, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2017

250 by AniGreek73 »»
Feb 17, 5:46 PM

» Live Action

JSeanaY - Dec 18, 2023

5 by Asudox »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

159 by Sanyuu »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.