Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2015 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
kyle8998 said:
Ainz is ugly

He needs his epic clothing back. Is there a good reason why he changed? Haven't got that far in the LN.
Sep 22, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2015
Pretty good fight. That ending though.... Can't wait for the final. This episode was pretty intense, well damn. But holy shit, the amount of spells this episode, lol.

Sep 22, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2013
zerorequiem_ said:
Would've liked some explanation for the skills and spells used. It feels awkward not knowing what effects they have.

They are no different from references you see in another animes, you don't really need to know them (but if you do, you get bragging points).

Blankbite said:
Axelucard_ said:
that barrage of skills without explaining what they do shit lol and all this talk about hp an mp do they know it's a game? or what?

The LN didn't explain it either.

Most of them are references to D&D arcane/and divine spells, if you feel like it you can look for them in this list, of course sometimes the name changes.
mangamuscleSep 22, 2015 2:35 PM
Sep 22, 2015 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
Ains spamming dem buffs yo :) (the spells he uses in the begin in quick succession). looking at the names and effects you can understand em if you have played mmorpg's :p
I like the valkyrie form of shalltear more than the hideous vampire transform.
I love she is a vampire/valkyrie (Dark creature/Holy creature) hybrid too!

Though if shalltear is a raid boss capable of defeating allot/raids of adventures, it is no suprise that ains has problems on his own if you think in game logics. He does seem to have some tricks for her in the next episode however :O
Sep 22, 2015 2:39 PM
Oct 2011
Blankbite said:
Axelucard_ said:
that barrage of skills without explaining what they do shit lol and all this talk about hp an mp do they know it's a game? or what?

The LN didn't explain it either.

The LN explained almost every skill apart from the obvious ones used during the actual battle.Some of the earlier buffs might've been left out(Important ones still got an explanation like Body of Effulgent Beryl), but skills during the engagement were pretty clearly defined,to give a few examples:

barmarSep 23, 2015 9:59 PM
Sep 22, 2015 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
Melcookie96 said:
Well reading all the comments here motivated me to read the novel.

Anyone have a link?

Here it is.
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Overlord
Sep 22, 2015 2:45 PM

Jul 2014
Why do people think that Shalltear is anything close to a raid boss. Between her and a level 100 paladin or warrior or whatever the fuck, there is no difference. She wont stop 10 100 level people alone.
Sep 22, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2008
hlubkoj2020 said:
Melcookie96 said:
Well reading all the comments here motivated me to read the novel.

Anyone have a link?

Here it is.

Skythewood is better
Sep 22, 2015 3:03 PM

Oct 2011
Before the fight, the buffs are real...
As expected, Ains seems to have an ace up his sleeve in the end.
Sep 22, 2015 3:12 PM
Oct 2014
[quote=Blankbite]
Axelucard_ said:

Ainz getting ready for Naxx
Sep 22, 2015 3:34 PM

May 2013
Nice engrish there. But i have to wait for the conclusion ughhh.

Idk but I have no idea how Shaltear was controlled(or revolted to Nazarick) but maybe because I was not paying too much attention in the past few episodes. And too much talking again while fighting (but less than the fight with Clementine)
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 22, 2015 3:39 PM

Apr 2014
Darklight0303 said:
hlubkoj2020 said:

Here it is.

Skythewood is better

The link from Baka-Tsuki should lead to Skythewood if I remember correctly.
Sep 22, 2015 3:41 PM

Apr 2014
Shalltear is going to get fucking wrecked next week

Sep 22, 2015 3:44 PM

Jun 2015
[b]You guys expect too much, ALL RIGHT! No other anime studio would have done this right AT ALL!
The censoring would have been worse than Prison School! Just be happy there's blood. Seriously, you're all acting like spoiled children.
Read Toriko!
Sep 22, 2015 3:55 PM

Sep 2013
Blankbite said:
Spell Casted by Ainz

Freedom

phantom346 said:
You guys expect too much, ALL RIGHT! No other anime studio would have done this right AT ALL!

Yes, my standards are way too high for overlord :(
Just a couple more things :)

-aura hesitated to answer for abit after ainz's talk that world items> their lives
-ainz summoned some eyeball corpses for surveillance
-ainz took off all his resurrection rings and items so he only has 1 life going into this match, it's to strengthen his resolve
-fallen down is a heat based spell, not a destructive one like what was shown
-some moments like ainz rejecting a 10th tier summon and both of them stopping and healing with negative energy
-when shalltear hit ainz, she crushed his sternum and there was a nice moment with ainz saying that his human self isn't who's fightig but ainz ooal gown
-ainz casted a spell that summoned 3 magic swords that kept following shalltear and damaging her
-The Einherjar Shalltier summoned is like clone of her but it can't use magic, items or some skill, all it's equipment and stats are the same thou.
-Ainz has a rare class called "eclipse" which is why he could use his’ secret weapon, ‘The goal of all life is death’, it strengthened the instant death effect of spells and skills to the point where even those with complete immunity were killed.
A method to defend against it was to, like Shalltear, deploy a self-resurrection effect and so on.
Sep 22, 2015 4:00 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty awesome fight, episode felt short as hell xD My only complain is not having any explanations of all the spells used but since so many were used I guess it would've been a real pain to do so.
Sep 22, 2015 4:02 PM

Aug 2015
Dextix said:
The imagination and expectation train strikes again.

You know. Im glad i havent read the Novel, why? Because my expectations would be different.

I see a lot of comments that LN did it bettter that it was better and that anime is really bad because it doesnt show everything that is in LN.

Look guys.

Those who read the LN.

You will never like the anime adaptation, why do you even bother watching? The whole purpose of books is for you to read and imagine action happening for yourself. When you read the LN you see one thing but others see other things. But when you watch the anime and it doesnt go how you imagined it you start whining.

Please, considering the budget the makers had on this, they did a really good job, for me, it was awesome, the whole fight went almost exactly like my D&D games went. They cant include everything that you liked or that for you seemed important. They cant make animations that you personally like.

Just enjoy the anime, and if you read the LN, dont expect everything to be catered to your vision.
This.... I never read the novel, but Overlord is really enjoyable and it doesn't feel rushed or confusing.
Alot of people were complaining because Madhouse left Albeado's sister out and that anime only watchers would be confused, but i wasn't whatsoever. I knew that someone in Nazarick or Ains himself would have been able to find shaltear, so it wasnt a big suprise when they skipped to her location.
Sep 22, 2015 5:00 PM

Aug 2012
cliff hanger whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Sep 22, 2015 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
eso18 said:
I thought that it will be the last episode and watched with the thought that the battle will end, and here I got the cliffhanger and the end, see you next week.

All in all though, this anime is only 13 episodes and no matter what is happening in LN, I fell like the story is somewhat weak. While there is the great setting at the beginning, not much has happened during this anime, only Ains walked a little destroyed few weaklings on his way and now the hardest hard is against his subordinate... because he and his whole team are all so OP that only that fight can not end the second Ains gets serious. Still where is the conquer of the world, where is the army of skeletons cutting through people and burring their houses.

I thought I will see a little bit of that in this anime but nope. There is nothing at all and the evil Overlord so far is mostly the good guy. He saved the village, saved the city, defeated the bad guys. I starting to wonder why is this story called Overlord. Overlord is not the description of the good guy.

As for this battle... it's not like it's that great as well. They are just spamming skills one after another... very little tactics but just spells that are all named, "super something", "greater other thing", such additions just to make them sound more overpowered, while to me it sounds silly. The animation wasn't that great.

All in all, when it comes to VRMMORPG animes, I would say that this one fails short in comparison to other two stories. Even SAO had good parts about them like animation music and the fact that the story ended (what happens after aincrad is a filler jump for money).

After watching this anime, I don't really feel like picking up it's LN, even though I thought about it at the beginning. Maybe the last episode will change that but if they add a stupid cliffhanger at the end of it, then NO!

Well if your pain is on "where is the evil Overlord" then you should pick up the LN.
He kills lot's of innocents there or simply lets his subordinates kill them.
First his first really evil act was kind of skipped in the previous episode. It was shown so little that it seemed like it didn't happened. Basically he went as Momon were Shaltear was after a request from the guild to look for the Vampire that kill those adventurers.
Also with him went another Mithril rank team and he just notified his subordinates to ambush them and slaughter them.
Sep 22, 2015 5:46 PM

Jan 2008
As a gamer, I can guess what most of those spells probably do but god dam man, that's way too much fucking buffs. Do they have like a 30minute duration or something jeez?
Sep 22, 2015 6:12 PM

Aug 2015
SchwingBoner said:

Too many buffs. Of course, Penetrate Up and Greater Hardening were the best ones.

Sep 22, 2015 6:28 PM

May 2013
For those that failed to fully grasp the innuendo:

Sep 22, 2015 6:37 PM

Dec 2007
AppoX said:
...'hp' but there is no visual indication for it so there is no point, no damage is shown on either Ains(aside from broken cloak) or Shalltear(aside from a little blood from her mouth, about as much as if she bit her tongue during combat) so basically it was 2 seemingly invincible people throwing lame effects at eachother the entire episode.... Seriously if there was an MP and HP indication showing then this fight would be 10x better....

Ainz is literally a skeleton so I don't know what you would expect to see for him being damaged besides cloths ripped. And along with most of the rest of your post, I completely disagree with the idea of showing HP/MP, Overlord is supposed to draw the game into a 'real' setting. Showing the audience their stats would make it into a game again. I just think you are taking the wrong approach while watching by still thinking this is a MMO based anime, where its more of a hybrid.

And her armor looks great.
KetuekigamiSep 22, 2015 6:41 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2015 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
K,after reading all the comments, i need to pick up LN.
Sep 22, 2015 6:48 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, so many skills. Impressive.
Sep 22, 2015 7:51 PM

Dec 2013
It boggles my mind that Ainz is still calm af even if he's standing in front of a physcho vampire. He's so fly man idk wish I could be like that in my exams.

Anyway the ep was really cool! The tense atmosphere around albedo and the rest while watching their lord fight. Oh my my my now we have to wait one week. And i hope it gets a season 2
Sep 22, 2015 8:04 PM

Mar 2014
I was watching this thinking it was the last episode and when it ended i was like whaaaa lol.
Glad to see we still have one more episode xD
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Sep 22, 2015 8:08 PM

Jul 2015
is that brown robe the same robe he wear when he first meet touch me?
Sep 22, 2015 8:11 PM

Aug 2012
StrawberryRain said:
I was watching this thinking it was the last episode and when it ended i was like whaaaa lol.
Glad to see we still have one more episode xD

Were same.. I thought this is only have 12 episode and that ending(cliffhanger) is perfectly fit to end it ..and continuing at season 2 >.<
Sep 22, 2015 8:15 PM

May 2012
kinda meh, but i still am kinda looking forward to next episode
Sep 22, 2015 8:24 PM

Apr 2014
underwhelming because animated fight scene during op so dam epic than this one.
Sep 22, 2015 9:01 PM

Aug 2008
Ainz: Keikaku dori

One more last episode to go. Please announce season 2 next week please. I need more of Overlord.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 22, 2015 9:17 PM

Jun 2015
I haven't read the LN, but I still felt that the battle was a little underwhelming, maybe 'cause they're both top-tier combatants, yet the magic felt a little lacklustre at times, but still, I enjoyed this episode, and hopefully next episode will have much better fight scenes.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Sep 22, 2015 9:22 PM

Nov 2014
So, disappointed with this episode. Light Novel was 10x better than this, if only mad house+vap adapted this series. I hate those CGI effects in the fight which looks like made from cheap clay.
Sep 22, 2015 9:41 PM

Aug 2013
I can imagine how pale it is compared to the LN.
Got to find time reading the it after the anime is over.
Oh well.. I like the moment he summon all those skills.
The next one will be the finale.
Sep 22, 2015 9:43 PM

Jul 2008
Some people seem to be considering this as "action", and thus "lacklustre". It's an RPG battle.

Which is actually like the Harry Potter battles, where they shout the spells AND point with their wands (or gesture). You can count with your hands the times a spell is cast without saying anything in all 8 HP movies...
Sep 22, 2015 9:51 PM

Mar 2008
Sep 22, 2015 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
I just couldn't help but think Sharknado after he used the spell lol
Sep 23, 2015 12:30 AM

Jun 2009
danieltortoisee said:
How many spells does Ains have that he is able to set up 20 or so before the fight and then use at least 10 more in the fight itself?.

Sep 23, 2015 12:40 AM
Oct 2013
mangamuscle said:

Most of them are references to D&D arcane/and divine spells, if you feel like it you can look for them in this list, of course sometimes the name changes.

Wooahh!!! Arigatou! Do you also have an idea what magic modifiers like maximize do?
mangamuscle said:
For those that failed to fully grasp the innuendo:

Too bad it didn't include

Arcanix said:
Why do people think that Shalltear is anything close to a raid boss. Between her and a level 100 paladin or warrior or whatever the fuck, there is no difference. She wont stop 10 100 level people alone.

She can.

Inugirlz said:
kyle8998 said:
Ainz is ugly

He needs his epic clothing back. Is there a good reason why he changed? Haven't got that far in the LN.

It's because he's wary of the people who attacked Shalltear. He thought it was a trap and they're on standby somewhere nearby. That's why he wore poor clothings to make himself look like an Elder Lich who simply walked and found Shalltear by accident. He was also afraid that his full body Divine-class items could get stolen.
ExplodingGirlSep 23, 2015 2:07 PM
Sep 23, 2015 12:53 AM
Jun 2014
well i didn't read the LN so its all good for me... just hoping there will be another season cuz its kinda tired to read....
Sep 23, 2015 1:02 AM

Jan 2011
with the amount of DnD spells used felt like i was listening to two people LARPing since it wasn't nearly as visually engaging as i was hoping
Sep 23, 2015 1:09 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I didn't expect Shalltear to be that strong, she actually gave Momon, her own master who is a supreme being, a very difficult time. Was it because Momon didn't wear his best equips?

Shalltear looks badass when she wears her armor, it's good that she didn't transform into that ugly lamprey.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 23, 2015 1:15 AM

Nov 2011
HaXXspetten said:
This kind of fighting should stay in video games lol

Without proper explanations for what every skill or spell is doing effect-wise it just comes across as random and awkward

Yeah, that what bother me the most. They just keep shooting skills we never heard of left and right, and I'm like, is that supposed to be impressive? There is no tension really since either side can pull anything out their ass and they expect us to just go along with ti.

Sep 23, 2015 1:29 AM

Apr 2014
The has to be the world item he brought along.
Sep 23, 2015 1:44 AM

Oct 2010
Arcanix said:

Maybe a 4/5/6 man party boss then? :P
However she is soloable if you are max level and have skillz and gearz.
Sep 23, 2015 2:17 AM

Apr 2012
Bretty gud fight, mainly because Momonga was finally up against a strong opponent.

Inugirlz said:
kyle8998 said:
Ainz is ugly
He needs his epic clothing back.
The true power called determination comes from within, not from epik clothes.
Sep 23, 2015 4:00 AM

Nov 2010
The fights in Chu-2 were better and less chuuni than the ones in this series.

Two ridiculous MMO characters calling out attacks with names like "Triplet Maximize Magic, Reality Slash" is something that is just impossible to take seriously.
Sep 23, 2015 4:57 AM

Jan 2011
Pretty underwhelming.

That sharknado though.
Sep 23, 2015 5:49 AM

Mar 2013
I haven't read LN but as an anime only watcher, I thoroughly enjoyed it :D
And it sure felt tense. Especially at the ending.
Those spell buff tho lol

So, I guess even the servants can outclass the supreme ones... I wonder is the most op then.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

331 by MrList »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

242 by jesuscris01 »»
Jun 16, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

370 by HayiaSarah »»
Jun 13, 8:23 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2015

240 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

433 by BlackSummoner826 »»
May 30, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.