Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 27, 2008 12:38 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, so Luffy and the girl meet at last....

Interesting back story, wasn't expecting it this early in the series. The first time I watched One Piece i thought it was pretty crap, but it's actually quite good :)

Sep 14, 2008 1:23 PM

Jul 2008
Once "Arlong's Park" arc starts, Nami's story starts.
Nov 3, 2008 2:34 PM

Oct 2008
Just started this show. I'm with Smiley up there. I didn't really give this show a chance at first, but now i'm starting to see that it's pretty good.

Nov 4, 2008 2:42 AM

Jan 2008
Smiley26 said:
Interesting back story, wasn't expecting it this early in the series. The first time I watched One Piece i thought it was pretty crap, but it's actually quite good :)

Actually, in the manga, Luffy's past was in the first chapter, so it technically wasn't even a "backstory".

But I'd say this episode could be considered the first glimpse at what makes One Piece so great, and is generally one of the better parts of what I felt was an overall rather weak start. It's gonna get A LOT better later on, though.
Sep 23, 2009 7:23 PM

Jul 2009
The characters are very interesting in this anime, with there odd names and dress. Little Luffy is so kawaii! Nami was so surprised too! I'd have thought she would be more on her game with stealing that map.

Oct 3, 2009 5:19 AM

Mar 2009
I liked it it was nice to see some of Luffys past.

Nov 15, 2009 1:30 PM

Oct 2009
I really like Luffy's past. Flashbacks FTW :P
Dec 10, 2009 2:56 AM

Oct 2008
I love it how Shanks laughs it off. He's a real man. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 24, 2009 2:03 AM

Jul 2007
This episode was awesome. Showing luffy's past with shanks and how he gave him the straw hat. Truly a memorable one piece moment.

Jan 11, 2010 7:09 AM

Jul 2009
I have to be honest, I hated One Piece before this episode. I'm glad I stuck through it to get to this episode...the best one yet! I loved it. It was moving and hilarious at times. I really liked Shanks and Luffy as a kid was so cute. It was great to get some backstory, of his past. Helped me accept Luffy's personality more. I thought the music in this episode was really good, I actually noticed it and admired it. The story was kind of cliche, but i was still moved by it and the action was good. that was cool, Shanks facing the sea serpent. Zorro was funny at the end too. Awesome episode.
Jan 24, 2010 7:50 PM

Aug 2009
Shanks is just a badass.
May 19, 2010 6:42 PM
Apr 2010
lol Luffy being caught by the bird killed me!
Jul 11, 2010 2:29 PM

Jul 2007
The first episode that truly got me into the series.

Jul 11, 2010 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
link9us said:
This episode was awesome. Showing luffy's past with shanks and how he gave him the straw hat. Truly a memorable one piece moment.
I have to agree that episode made me want to watch this show shanks was so beast
Sep 20, 2010 3:20 AM

May 2010
Really good :)
Nov 10, 2010 6:01 AM

Aug 2010
Soundtrack said:
Shanks is just a badass.
Dec 2, 2010 2:02 PM

May 2010
Osianilist said:

Me too! As nice as that fluffy moving backstory shit can be, I have to say that was my favorite part of the episode.
“Money can't buy dere”
Mar 3, 2011 3:02 AM

Jun 2010
At last luffy meets Nami, is was time...
Jul 23, 2011 11:57 PM

Mar 2011
Great episode, love the backstory. Shank is such a great character.
Nov 20, 2011 4:17 PM

Mar 2011
This anime series, just like in the manga, has tons of flashbacks and even more flashbacks within those flashbacks.
May 8, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2011
Soundtrack said:
Shanks is just a badass.

I agree, he has a vicious stare, I was impressed! Very good back story too.

I heard from some friends that this takes a while to get great, that kind of put me in the mind set that this was going to start off really bad. There are a few things that I dislike, like the cartoonish animation and childish script, but for the most part I am really enjoying it. I can't wait to see how this looks later on!
May 10, 2012 10:38 PM

Mar 2011
This episode makes me want to watch this now.

Shanks is a true manly man.
May 21, 2012 2:03 PM

Sep 2011
Scribbly said:
The first time I watched One Piece i thought it was pretty crap, but it's actually quite good :)

This. Very nice episode, we learned how Luffy became rubber and also how he got the straw hat!
Shanks is badass :D 5/5 for this episode, it keeps getting better
Oh well.
Nov 4, 2012 1:29 PM
Jan 2012
Shanks is the most badass character in the series for now :P Which is quite amazing, considering it's only the fourth episode.
Mar 15, 2013 2:44 PM
Feb 2013
I LOVED THIS EPISODE SO MUCH ! why? I'mma tell you.

Perfect voicing, the lines are perfect and they are funny/awesome/badass to listen to, it's so emotional, it's so awesome, animation is very awesome and nostalgic.

Shanks is a pure beast. Pretty much my favourite anime character ever. Love his relationship with Luffy. He makes fun of him so much. He handles being made fun off by bandits but when he sees luffy hurt he gets so mad at the bandits.

But it really pisses me off. Barely any people think it's one of the best episodes in one piece -.-

Seriously this episode is so ridiculously underrated. It's seriously one of my fave episodes ever and i have seen a lot of animes too.
Mar 19, 2013 1:53 PM

Jan 2013
cuute Luffy <33
Nov 18, 2013 5:30 AM

Aug 2013
Starting to like this even more, hope it stays that way.
Feb 26, 2014 4:28 PM

May 2013
Awesome episode c:
Mar 6, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2012
Maybe that is a stupid question but... how exactly did Shanks lose his arm ?
Mar 7, 2014 1:31 AM

Jun 2009
AngelShiva said:
Maybe that is a stupid question but... how exactly did Shanks lose his arm ?

The monster who attacked him and Luffy, bit off Shanks' arm.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 23, 2014 5:37 AM
Feb 2013
That was fun! I'm enjoying One Piece so far! Hope it'll get me hooked!
Apr 27, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
Shanks is really awesome. And his relationship with
Luffy is so heart-warming. I loved this episode ^.^
May 5, 2014 3:01 PM

Jan 2014
Watched this today... really beautiful flashback, back when it was all so heartwarming. And people getting killed by pirates. But still so hopeful and full of dreams.

The one thing that's underrated about OP is the music , I think it's better than the other shounen's mostly.

"To the Grand Line" I love this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2014 5:34 PM

Dec 2012
Osianilist said:
Sep 7, 2014 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
Vegard_Aune said:
Smiley26 said:

Actually, in the manga, Luffy's past was in the first chapter, so it technically wasn't even a "backstory".

But I'd say this episode could be considered the first glimpse at what makes One Piece so great, and is generally one of the better parts of what I felt was an overall rather weak start. It's gonna get A LOT better later on, though.

Yep, they left out a part though. In the manga, Luffy cut his lower left eye creating a scar to prove to Shanks he is a real man.
Sep 7, 2014 5:41 PM

Dec 2012
[size=90]Manga & Anime differences:
  • In the manga when Shanks lost his arm, it was dripping blood but in the anime, it does not.
  • In the manga, before Higuma shows up, Luffy was already eating the Devil Fruit and Shanks did not find out until he grabs Luffy's arm and watched it stretch. In the anime, after Higuma left, Luffy found the Devil Fruit in a chest and started to eat it. Shanks caught him and turned him upside down to make him spit it out, ending up with his body falling to the floor, with Shanks still holding his legs.
RothSep 8, 2014 11:53 AM
Jan 2, 2015 12:25 PM

Dec 2012
Well that girl is such a bitch, stealing the boat. :D But nice episode.
Mar 24, 2015 7:14 PM

Nov 2011
I really love how humble Shanks and his crew is, as well as how they treat people properly. I also think it's interesting how Shanks is portrayed as just a bit of a goofball. It serves as an excellent background for Luffy being the way he is, and explains where he got his powers and the straw hat at the same time.

*Could be considered big spoilers depending on what you consider a spoiler. It's mostly expressed in allusions, but read at your own risk.
Apr 20, 2015 2:18 PM
Mar 2015
This anime continues to top itself, be it with the story which becomes more and complex and intriguing or with the characters. Shanks for example seems like a very good character, I really like how humble he was as well as his relationship with Luffy. So Luffy's desire to be the pirate king is such an old dream, huh? Devil fruits, interesting concept, although it seems very random too. The scene with Shanks saving Luffy was really well made and now we know we know where Luffy got his hat from. Hope we see more of Shanks and his group in the future, they are really fun dudes. Luffy also finally meets the girl, something tells me she will be relevant in the future.

Already an 8/10 with just four episodes, can't wait to see how awesome this will be when I get into the true meat of the show.
Jun 24, 2015 4:01 AM

May 2010
This episode is a huge step-up from the previous ones.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 15, 2015 2:09 AM

Mar 2015
So if Luffy only ate half the devil fruit I wonder what happened to rest of it.

I do prefer the manga though, mainly because more gore and we see how Luffy got his scar
Jul 10, 2016 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
We get a glimpse into Luffy's past and find out why he was so driven to becoming the King of Pirates
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 28, 2016 10:28 PM

Jan 2015
Episode 4:
Luffy's past where we find out how he got his powers (Gomu Gomu no Mi), his fondness of his Straw Hat and why he decided to become the Pirate King. Who is that Orange haired Girl? "To Be continued" ;3
UltimateDeathSep 28, 2016 10:35 PM
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Feb 4, 2017 5:46 PM

Dec 2016
Red Haired Shanks, nearly 800 episodes in at this point and we still know basically nothing about him
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 14, 2017 8:24 PM

Dec 2014
I'm officially hooked

Hoping Shanks gets a lot more screentime, though he seems like the one character that will pop up once in a blue moon
Oct 13, 2017 10:09 AM

Jun 2016
What a great episode, that was one of my favorite backstories I've seen(that were actually focused on in an episode). Short, simple and sweet, but also meaningful, insightful and awesome. We can really see how much of an impact Shanks has had on Luffy's life. Luffy is his own person and definitely more happy go lucky than Shanks, as well as more easily irritated, but we saw as a kid Luffy had an ideal of what a man or a pirate should do in terms of fighting etc. With Shanks line "Whether I'm splattered with alcohol or food or even spit on, most of the time I'd just laugh and forget about it. But! No matter the reason, anyone who hurts my friends has to pay!" shows a philosophy that Luffy probably learned, one of picking your battles wisely. And Shanks is freaking cool, the moment where he told the bandit holding the gun to him that gun's aren't for threatening people, and they put your life on the line was so sweet. And the shot where it panned out after he had saved Luffy to reveal he had lost his arm was so shocking that it hit me pretty hard.
I have to imagine Luffy was an orphan with no friends with the lack of focus on family/friends in the flashback. I'm assuming the bartender wasn't his mother.

Zoro continues to be husbando tier with both him charging down Buggy's men, and his face when they told him they were taking over the ship. Don't mess with Zoro, man.
Oct 26, 2017 5:32 AM

Dec 2015
Shanks eh? I'm guessing this is the guy Mashima based Gildarts on, they're like twins.

Buggy the Clown has also eaten the Devil Fruit, I wonder if he's going to be the first major villain of One Piece or will it be over quickly?
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 12, 2018 12:05 AM

May 2016
It's this early on and they reveal Luffy's history with the hat he got from Shanks along with an episode-long appearance from the original Straw Hat Pirate himself... And to think he just ate the Gomu Gomu fruit straight from the box like that xD

It should've been expected that a bunch of muggers facing off against marauding murderers would've ended up really one-sided but killing them just like that was pretty shocking. The pirate world's no joke as seen by Shanks losing an arm that quickly but Luffy's resolve only strengthened. They better meet again!

Instead of just walking or running past each other, Luffy just fell from the sky to make a real introduction. Nami's gonna join the party real soon~

May 30, 2019 4:54 PM
Jul 2009
Pirates absolutely drink juice! They can drink a frothy mocha latte! THEY'RE FUCKING PIRATES! They do whatever they want! Rest of the episode was great 5/5
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Apr 13, 2020 4:09 AM

Aug 2018
People who watch this episode once starting probably won't realise how powerfull this episode really is after coming back to watch it after 900+ episodes. It really feels absolutely different than watching the first time
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

27 by ElTroll04 »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chelleee - Sep 16, 2008

98 by serdnagg »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 206 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HaiAlwaysHungry - Nov 9, 2008

59 by Titanfan93 »»
48 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 205 Discussion

reaght - Jun 5, 2009

36 by Titanfan93 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Hottest Woman in One Piece?

kian_lad20 - 5 hours ago

18 by Sports_Friday »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.