Forums
New
Jun 23, 2023 7:48 PM

Apr 2018
Does Rape Scenes ruin a show for you?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2023 8:02 PM

Jul 2012
not really the real world is fucked up so why not anime as well.

Jun 23, 2023 8:14 PM

Aug 2016
So far, I havent watched an anime or show in general that had a rape scene that had ruined the experience for me.
:v
Jun 23, 2023 8:15 PM

Jan 2021
No, why would it? I'm not stupid, this is like asking if having a death scene makes a series bad.
Jun 23, 2023 8:25 PM

Mar 2023
Yes of course. If a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime suddenly had a scene like that I would drop it immediately.

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───

𝙱𝚞𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚛 💫

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───
Jun 23, 2023 8:31 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
It's just one of many darkest things in the world the society like to sweep under the rug..and pretend that the world is a nice place..

The world is as worse as it is being portrayed in heavenly delusions..
We are all locked in this planet.. It's like a big jail and people follow whatever politicians order like inmates do in prison

Jun 23, 2023 8:32 PM

Jan 2021
rape scene is like in every seinen so no
Jun 23, 2023 8:36 PM

Sep 2018
Definitely not, but context really matters.

I can honestly accept anything in shows as long as I feel like there is truly a reason for why they exist within the context of the story they are trying to tell. It can be a pretty critical part of what a mangaka is trying to portray about a person, societal structure, or specific situation/environment, so as long as I can buy into the context for why it's there I have no problem with it. 
Blanks.
Jun 23, 2023 8:39 PM

Sep 2021
Depends on if it is glorified or vilified.
Jun 23, 2023 8:44 PM

Dec 2020
this is a weird thread idk fr like this is incriminating to me

but apparently fate has them and it has never been "cancelled" or "dragged" for it. its just fiction and as long as the creators arent real rapists then no it doesnt matter. real victims tho could get triggered seeing something like that so it depends on who you ask
Jun 23, 2023 8:59 PM

Oct 2013
No. If a show is good, then one scene or element won't make it bad or ruin it for me. Besides, usually that kind of scenes are presented as something very bad, or to make a villain's image even more negative. That's why, even though it's fiction, the message is clear: that act is unacceptable, and sexual abusers deserve to be hated and punished by the society.

Khashishi said:
Depends on if it is glorified or vilified.
Many anime fans would rather say: "depends on whether the criminal is male or female", sadly.
AdnashJun 23, 2023 9:23 PM
Jun 23, 2023 9:23 PM

Oct 2019
does a character's arm getting chopped off ruin a show for me?

no

a rape scene is the same, it can be pure shock factor, it can be extremely disturbing, or it can be just there cause the author was a horny son of a gun, in every case, It's no different than a particularly violent scene.

and unless you have been through something like that yourself, I genuinely don't get why it would affect you more than violence. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 23, 2023 9:23 PM

Feb 2016
No, and neither does a rape attempt. Gainax's 1st movie remains the greatest anime the studio has ever made.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1034/Ouritsu_Uchuugun__Honneamise_no_Tsubasa
その目だれの目?
Jun 23, 2023 9:26 PM

Oct 2019
Frebby said:
Yes of course. If a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime suddenly had a scene like that I would drop it immediately.
hold on....

wait... if a CGDCT does it of all thing, I would not be able to stop. 

I would be way too curious on how that even happened, and what the hell kind of CGDCT would have something like that.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 23, 2023 9:29 PM

Oct 2013
APolygons2 said:
a rape scene is the same, it can be pure shock factor, it can be extremely disturbing, or it can be just there cause the author was a horny son of a gun, in every case, It's no different than a particularly violent scene.
That's what I don't get about some part of so-called "anime community". You can find people ranting, seething, shouting about that type of scenes, but not only they watch shows with them, but have no problem with equally "wrong" looking scenes. It's genuinely surreal to see a person getting hyped about scenes with limbs getting chopped off or children getting slaughtered by a monster, but at the same time yelling about how other kinds of controversial scenes are unacceptable, lol.
Jun 23, 2023 9:33 PM

Feb 2023
If it's a "sad" rape scene yes because I don't like sad serious stuff :(

But 9/10 I don't really care because the scene looks like it came out of a hentai so I just roll my eyes.
Jun 23, 2023 9:54 PM

Feb 2020
"Does Rape Scene ruin a show for you?"

It depends on the show.

P.S.

SerafosJun 24, 2023 3:26 AM
Jun 23, 2023 9:54 PM

Oct 2010
rape scenes make the anime better for me
Jun 23, 2023 10:13 PM

Jul 2013
I am not some overly sensitive pussy who gets triggered so no. Now if a rape scene is put into a show to portray the horrors of the world or the horror a character faced then, it makes the show even better (from a realism perspective).

Spoilers to Goblin Slayer, Dororo and Redo of Healer. (I mean not really for one of them but still calling it as one)
Jun 23, 2023 10:22 PM

Aug 2018
Does murder ruin a show for you? Bullying?? a negligent driver that kills someone??? I'm sure it doesn't, so why would rape do it? It's just a different type of violence.

I'm never going to get how naturalized killing is, but so many other crimes generate so much noice. Well, in my case I don't give a fk about anything if it's well done, I like dark and violent stuff but it needs to have a bit of taste, there is plently of gory and edgy garbage.

Everything is a resource, the enjoyment depends on the execution. So to answer your question if it would ruin a show for me, IT DEPENDS.

BTW, I'm guessing this thread is because of a "certain show" that is airing right now (I might be wrong) and it didn't ruined it for me at all. It was shocking and unexpected, it fits the atmosphere of the show but it didn't blew my mind.
Jun 23, 2023 10:29 PM
𝙿𝙰𝙸𝙽

Feb 2023
No, it doesn't ruin anything for me. 

But I noticed in many reviews and replies in the forums, there are people who become furious, raise a huge stink, boycott the anime/manga or belittle others who do tolerate sexual assault scenes. I mean, it's okay to have your opinion and dislike it and not watch it, but it's a bit much when it becomes their life's mission to not move on from it.

I'm fine with rape scenes and most of the time they are crucial to a plot or character development, and add feeling or depth to the content. It's not like most of us enjoy rape, but it's something that exists... Unfortunately had it happen to me in real life long ago and it affects me to this day. But I don't act out about rape/assault in fictional story-telling so it's frustrating to keep tolerating the complainers.

**Side note - my forum pfp is Keyaru from Redo of Healer for a reason. Because I have no qualms about rubbing it in people's faces that rape in media doesn't bother me.
𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗 • u̲m̲a̲i̲ • レαmßεη† レïgh† • ɪ'ᴍ ᴀʟʟ ꜰɪʀᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ • 𝟙𝟘𝟘𝟘-𝟟 • 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔩
𝙄'𝙇𝙇 𝙆𝙄𝙇𝙇 𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙈 𝘼𝙇𝙇 • 𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒜𝑔𝑒𝓃𝓉 • 𝐏𝐥𝐮𝐬 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚 • ᵖᵘʳᵖˡᵉ ʰᵒˡˡᵒʷ • ᖇIᑕEᗷᗩᒪᒪ

Jun 23, 2023 10:37 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
If people are ok with murder scenes I don't see why would they have problem with them.
Someone oversensitivity is their own problem not the fault of anime.

Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jun 23, 2023 10:54 PM

Jul 2016
I mean, I hate seeing rape scenes and I really rather not have that shit in my anime period, but it honestly depends on how it's depicted and portrayed in the series itself for it to truly become an genuine issue with the series for me or not.

And besides, I could always just look it up and make sure it doesn't have such content before watching it, anyways.
Jun 23, 2023 11:08 PM
Dust collector

Sep 2021
Depends on the context, if it is handled seriously and actually adds something to the story then it would not “ruin it” for me, but if they only show it for lewd purposes, then yes, it is f’d up.
Jun 23, 2023 11:20 PM

Jul 2013
nevermoreHOAR said:
Unfortunately had it happen to me in real life long ago and it affects me to this day. But I don't act out about rape/assault in fictional story-telling so it's frustrating to keep tolerating the complainers.
Sad to hear this has happened to you. You are a really strong person if you can distinguish reality from fiction and keep a level head!

But I want to know why did you give redo of healer an 8 score. As a joke or to mock modern society or some other dark reason?
Jun 23, 2023 11:23 PM

Jul 2013
DaCraziGuy said:
BTW, I'm guessing this thread is because of a "certain show" that is airing right now (I might be wrong) and it didn't ruined it for me at all. It was shocking and unexpected, it fits the atmosphere of the show but it didn't blew my mind.
I'm curious now. Which show? I watched about 13-14 of this season's shows and hence I am asking.
Jun 23, 2023 11:25 PM

Dec 2022
I don't care if it's female-on-male, the MC does the raping, or it just happens to a random background character.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 23, 2023 11:27 PM

Oct 2018
HellindiuM said:
DaCraziGuy said:
I'm curious now. Which show? I watched about 13-14 of this season's shows and hence I am asking.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 23, 2023 11:28 PM

Dec 2015
If it's in a show I llike, then I have no problems with it. If it's in a show I dislike, then it becomes really problematic.
Jun 23, 2023 11:31 PM

Mar 2012
Overall I find rape very uncomfortable to watch but it only ruins the show if it's romanticized and the victim falls in love with the rapist.
Jun 23, 2023 11:31 PM

Jul 2013
Phosphophyllita said:
My second favourite anime this season and I forgot about this. Probably because it was so subtly done (I can recall only 2-3 frames of the act) and it was realistic given the setting. Didn't shock me as much when watching it. I re-read the manga chapter (because people said the anime toned it down) and was a bit shocked to find out that
Jun 23, 2023 11:33 PM

Jul 2013
Maou_heika said:
it's romanticized and the victim falls in love with the rapist.
I only see that shit in hentai, specifically NTR hentai. And since its hentai, you know what you are getting into and shouldn't get triggered.
Jun 23, 2023 11:40 PM

Mar 2021
Dragevard said:
Does Rape Scenes ruin a show for you?
Yeah, most of the time it's really frustrating. I don't understand why, but anime often depicts these sensitive issues in a sexual manner, and that's really disturbing and disheartening. I mean, it's not about having a problem with a rape scene if it serves a purpose in the story, but sexualizing suffering is just downright horrible.

𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪𝓼 𝓶𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝔀𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓮
Jun 23, 2023 11:52 PM

Mar 2012
HellindiuM said:
Maou_heika said:
it's romanticized and the victim falls in love with the rapist.
I only see that shit in hentai, specifically NTR hentai. And since its hentai, you know what you are getting into and shouldn't get triggered.
I don't watch hentai but it happens a lot in BL too and fans still insist on calling it representation. I've seen milder versions (sexual assault or attempted rape) happening in shoujo like Red River, Hana yori Dango, Kyo Kara Maoh (LN) and in all cases victim end up with the perpetrator. 
Jun 23, 2023 11:54 PM

Jul 2013
Maou_heika said:
I don't watch hentai but it happens a lot in BL too and fans still insist that representation. I've seen milder versions (sexual assault or attempted rape) happening in shoujo like Red River, Hana yori Dango, Kyo Kara Maoh (LN) and in all cases victim end up with the perpetrator.
Oh! I've never seen BL shows so wasn't aware of it. And I've seen very few shoujo/josei shows which are quite tame/mild. But I can see how these shows may use such tactics to get the characters together.
Jun 24, 2023 12:25 AM

Jun 2016
S2E6 of Game of Thrones featured an attempted gang rape. This episode has an 8.9 rating on IMDb. Are weebs too sensitive? Are Game of Thrones fans better at seperating reality from fiction? Or maybe weebs are the last remaining vanguards of morality and decency in the world?
kek. sorry couldn't write that with a straight face.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 24, 2023 12:32 AM

Sep 2010
Usually not but it depends how it's portrayed. If it's just for giggles and fanservice then I'm not a big fan of it.
Jun 24, 2023 12:35 AM

Jan 2021
No, if its potrayed correctly

Like Heavenly Delusion, Heres the pb was Robin doing it !, It was completely out of nowwhere with any prior nuance and doesn't go with his character...Mangaka just wrote the scene only for the shock value ..It ruined the show for me

On the other hand Perfect Blue, heres the rape scene was done so brilliantly that it captures the real horror of rape, it evoked my gut feeling, make me feel raw symphathy for the victim and raw hatred for the culprits ..On the top of that that scene added layer to the story
TaifSuxJun 24, 2023 12:44 AM
Jun 24, 2023 1:04 AM
Jul 2022
It depends. I straight up do not like the concept of rape. I think forcing yourself onto someone is very wrong. However, I may like it depending on how it is used, and how well it is used as a tool for developing the plot and developing characters. 

Below is a spoiler, but it is an example of my own interpretation of your question.

Jun 24, 2023 1:25 AM
Jul 2022
TaifSux said:

Like Heavenly Delusion, Heres the pb was Robin doing it !, It was completely out of nowwhere with any prior nuance and doesn't go with his character...Mangaka just wrote the scene only for the shock value ..It ruined the show for me

On the other hand Perfect Blue, heres the rape scene was done so brilliantly that it captures the real horror of rape, it evoked my gut feeling, make me feel raw symphathy for the victim and raw hatred for the culprits ..On the top of that that scene added layer to the story
It was actually lightly implied earlier in the show that Robin was engaged with Kiriko in an explicit way. You can actually see more proof of it in episode 12, as Robin is for some reason shocked to see Kiruko, but not in the way you would expect most people to be. Shocked like someone who was supposed to be dead is actually alive, rather than being shocked in the way you would as if you saw your loved one again after years of separation. I urge to rewatch Robin's reaction as he first sees Kiruko in episode 12 to judge for yourself if that does or does not raise suspicion about his character.
ITouchGrass1Jun 24, 2023 1:31 AM
Jun 24, 2023 1:42 AM

May 2012
Not at all. It actually make me want to watch the anime more.

Sendwo said:
Never, But I have never seen such anime that contains rape scenes. Can any of you suggest some, so i can watch.

thepathJun 24, 2023 1:57 AM
Jun 24, 2023 1:42 AM
𝙿𝙰𝙸𝙽

Feb 2023
HellindiuM said:
nevermoreHOAR said:
Unfortunately had it happen to me in real life long ago and it affects me to this day. But I don't act out about rape/assault in fictional story-telling so it's frustrating to keep tolerating the complainers.
Sad to hear this has happened to you. You are a really strong person if you can distinguish reality from fiction and keep a level head!

But I want to know why did you give redo of healer an 8 score. As a joke or to mock modern society or some other dark reason?

Thank you for your kind words regarding my past SA experiences. 💜

As for my rating of Redo… this may be an unpopular opinion, and I’m sure some will think I’m crazy or weird (I don’t care lol) but I actually really liked the story. I suppose I look at the psychology part of Keyaru in a deeper way and understood his actions and agreed with the path he took. It was more than just seeing it as an anime with lots of gratuitous sex.

He was a beautiful and gentle boy with amazing powers that should have been respected and valued. He had dreams of being one of the revered heroes in the kingdom. Instead his dreams were crushed, he was taken advantage of, treated like nothing, raped, mentally and physically tortured for years. That sort of prolonged abuse affects people and they cope with it in their own ways. It traumatized and changed him from the precious cinnamon roll he was into a powerful and revenge driven psychopath.

That’s interesting to me. It made me feel something.

His actions are simple to understand. The ones who were truly evil destroyed him and he was in agony. He wanted to destroy them and inflict pain in return for what they did to him. It’s a normal reaction to want to get justice. And yeah he took joy in it and is pretty much crazy now. He hadn’t felt joy or goodness in life in a very long time. Hurting and killing those for revenge that committed atrocities against him brings happiness and satisfaction, having lots of sex (not the rape) brings him immediate pleasure in an otherwise empty and painful world.

I guess I just believe they deserved everything they got, even the rapes whether done by him personally or when he made the others do it. I never actually thought of him as evil at any point because I felt bad for him, I understood his pain. I’m eager for the second season so he can finish achieving his goals and revenge.
KamuiScumJun 24, 2023 1:47 AM
𝙸 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚗 • u̲m̲a̲i̲ • レαmßεη† レïgh† • ɪ'ᴍ ᴀʟʟ ꜰɪʀᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ • 𝟙𝟘𝟘𝟘-𝟟 • 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔩
𝙄'𝙇𝙇 𝙆𝙄𝙇𝙇 𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙈 𝘼𝙇𝙇 • 𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝒜𝑔𝑒𝓃𝓉 • 𝐏𝐥𝐮𝐬 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚 • ᵖᵘʳᵖˡᵉ ʰᵒˡˡᵒʷ • ᖇIᑕEᗷᗩᒪᒪ

Jun 24, 2023 2:04 AM

Nov 2020
No. What ruins the show is the mc stopping the rape
Jun 24, 2023 2:05 AM
Jun 24, 2023 2:13 AM

Nov 2019
Catalano said:
rape scenes make the anime better for me

Yes, My man. Bleach should have included those scenes, and Shinji Ikura should have done the deed to Akusa Langley Shouryuu.
SgtBateManJun 24, 2023 2:16 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jun 24, 2023 2:14 AM

Mar 2023
Depend. Sometimes it can be very shocking (in a good way) and sometimes its just the writers trying to hard to be edgy.
Jun 24, 2023 3:39 AM

Jan 2021
ITouchGrass1 said:
TaifSux said:

It was actually lightly implied earlier in the show that Robin was engaged with Kiriko in an explicit way. You can actually see more proof of it in episode 12, as Robin is for some reason shocked to see Kiruko, but not in the way you would expect most people to be. Shocked like someone who was supposed to be dead is actually alive, rather than being shocked in the way you would as if you saw your loved one again after years of separation. I urge to rewatch Robin's reaction as he first sees Kiruko in episode 12 to judge for yourself if that does or does not raise suspicion about his character.
Thanks for your concern, I apprciate it, but I have seen the show very attentively, even if they implied it earlier as you said it wasn't nuanced enough to convince me thinking Robin as a suspicious guy who would commit such a heinous act, they easily would have done the scene with a  random bandit, that would have been more believableable..
Jun 24, 2023 4:00 AM

May 2019
No, it doesn't. Rape is very common in hentai and it doesn't bother me.
Jun 24, 2023 4:02 AM

Apr 2022
definitely not, some a lot would say it even elevates youjuu toshi. guts' peak moment came about because of that as well.
Jun 24, 2023 4:14 AM

Apr 2018
It depends on the show and the execution of the rape scene. A rape scene can ruin a show: imagine if a comfy CGDCT suddenly has a graphic rape scene, and then things go back to being comfy as if nothing just happened. That would ruin the vibe. I don't think all rape scenes are bad though, some stories work with them, and it is possible to execute these scenes well. Perfect Blue, for example, handles this respectfully. Of course, there's also hentai, and I like rape hentai.

Edit: I don't like it if a villain rapes a character just to show how villainous they are. That's lazy writing, it's like making the villain kick a dog. To be clear, a villain can rape a character, but that shouldn't be the only thing they do. More heroic characters can also rape in certain contexts (typically, hentai). This isn't just about rape, I feel the same way regarding violence: some things work with it, some things don't.
Purple_Gh0st24Jun 24, 2023 4:33 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

107 by Anjuro »»
5 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

144 by Galletita »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime?

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

47 by Pokitaru »»
11 minutes ago

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - Jun 6

35 by POORUYO »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

61 by Dumb »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.