Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2022 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, we finally got the swimsuit episode. Not a beach episode but they still have the cast in swimsuits.

Shinobu's strength is hilarious in this though. Looks like it's Sakura that made the most presence in her swimsuit and even Ataru to nosebleed. Watcih this episode much food this episode made me hungry. Too bad we didn't get to see that kiss scene.
Nov 24, 2022 9:03 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 24, 2022 10:37 AM

Jul 2017
The (in)famous swimsuit trope that started the beach episode trope, and every boy's turned into a vegetable of some kind. Everyone is here in Shutaro's hotel, and Ataru is Ataru being punched by Sakura up in the air...to drown and see some demon residing at the bottom of the pool having tea, having no place to go. Only except...it found Ataru's place as its new home.

Of course, it can't hole in Ataru's place forever, and the next destination is the beach. And man, Sakura is such a foodie trying to eat as much food as possible in big servings, and also being served by Tsubame too on a date...while everyone's watching their deed lols, only to be interrupted by the pool demon.

This boy who's trying to drop his pet Pochi, while Ataru's trying to do the same for the pool demon, seems like in the spirit of exchange, getting Cherry instead wasn't the best, but at least by coincidence, it has found a new home.

Count his stars lucky.
Nov 24, 2022 10:52 AM
Sep 2015
Even though this remake try to modernize the story to current era by putting a smartphone, but the core is still in 1980s era. Pochi sent postcard to let his old friends know his new address, postcard is dead since 10-20 years ago depend on each country.
Nov 24, 2022 10:59 AM

Jan 2018
Ngl I didn't expect this story to be adapted back when the Remake was announced. But now I think I'm glad it was though cause this episode was great.

We finally got Tsubame's introduction, voiced by Takahiro Sakurai. He didn't really get much focus and was more like an extra here. He was more or less an extra side character in the original anime too but hopefully, he doesn't get shafted too much this time.

I liked the small additions this episode made. It added some content from other chapters too I think. The underwater speech bubble joke was great. Mendo's VA Mamoru Miyano sounds like his OG VA Akira Kamiya now.

With that all outta the way, the next episode will have RAN's debut! Let's gooooo. Ran was easily the character I anticipated the most in this Remake. And with her being voiced by Kana Hanazawa this is going to be a treat for sure.
Nov 24, 2022 11:34 AM
Mar 2015
Poor Poochi At least the youkai has a new home
Nov 24, 2022 11:37 AM

Nov 2016
Look at all the cake

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 24, 2022 11:57 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
An unintentional visitor looks like. But can't go a rom com without a beach ep thats for sure. It will be a offence to the characters. Still what a curious creature that they found in the hotel pool. Sakura really has quite the appetite for dessert not to mention for normal meals well. The monster really was quite bold just surfacing and treating everyone around him in stride. But the underwater scenes though really was fun in a unique way. Funny that his new home ended up being Ataru's bathroom. Its funny that they all ended up being the audience for Sakura's date. In the end they ended up with the worst with the worst end of the swap huh. Curious whether will we see the demon again though because he's quite the funny one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2022 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode
Nov 24, 2022 12:13 PM

Dec 2021
Some funny moments, but unfortunately, just like the equivalent episode of the 1981 adaptation, it was just okay. Of all the stuff they could have adapted, why this?
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Nov 24, 2022 12:15 PM
Oct 2022
Shingster said:
Curious whether will we see the demon again though because he's quite the funny one.

The sea creature (NOT a demon !) appears I think another couple times in the manga, I remember in one of those the environment is an aquarium (which of course, our gang goes to visit), and the premise of the story is a female sea creature/fish with whom the sea creature is in love with, but she is already under the clutches of a shark (with sunglasses lol !), so when he recognizes Lum and the others he asks for their help. Who knows if they will adapt this chapter in the future :)

Daviljoe193 said:
Some funny moments, but unfortunately, just like the equivalent episode of the 1981 adaptation, it was just okay. Of all the stuff they could have adapted, why this?

Mandatory beach episode (=swimsuits etc.) and introduction of Sakura boyfriend, I guess ?
Nov 24, 2022 12:23 PM

May 2020
Take all the time in the world when you about to kiss because.. why not.
Nov 24, 2022 12:29 PM
Aug 2022
Three reasons why they adapted these chapters:

- show Lum and Ataru's softer side, they cared more about the creature than Mendo who wouldn't do a thing despite being a trillionaire. You can almost see why Lum likes Ataru over all people. And we get a break from her zapping him
- Sakura's boyfriend was introduced
- swimsuits

Seawolf43Nov 24, 2022 12:35 PM
Nov 24, 2022 12:46 PM
Feb 2021
Bro said “one piece” and that’s when I lost it
Nov 24, 2022 12:51 PM

Feb 2019
Wait was that a one piece reference lmao? That shot of the kid with the straw hat..
Nov 24, 2022 12:54 PM

Feb 2022
Some great new outfits for Lum this episode
Nov 24, 2022 12:58 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Ah yes, the mandatory beach/pool episode in which we get to see Lum and Sakura in their stunning swimsuits. It seems we got a lost sea creature that was hiding in the pool until he got discovered, then he was hanging at Ataru's place in the bathtub, and now he got picked up by a boy who calls him Pochi. Sakura was seen dating her boyfriend at the beach and he wasn't intimidated by her gluttonous behavior. The two of them were about to share a kiss and everyone was watching until the sea monster interrupted them. How the hell did Cherry ended up in the box that the boy was carrying?
Nov 24, 2022 1:33 PM

Nov 2008
The original VA for the sea demon had a much more irritating voice - real conman/soap story stuff. The new VA was almost too nice.

The timing of the episode seemed a little off - but that's probably because the background music in the old version emphasized the set up of the jokes. This version is trying too hard to copy the manga.

I suspect what we are seeing here in the remake is the influence of today's Rumiko Takahashi - legend, powerhouse, etc - compared to Rumiko Takahashi during the original TV anime, who was a successful but young artist who didn't have as much clout with the production.

Too an extent, this remake is almost too reverent. It needs some of Mamoru Oshii's madness to perk it up.
Nov 24, 2022 1:35 PM
Nov 2022
Very random, it was good.
Nov 24, 2022 1:36 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lol that sea yokai, but the kid made a good exchange in the end that was funny I really expected something tragic but the old man was in the cardboard box xD
Nov 24, 2022 2:11 PM

Oct 2017
I was sure that pochi wasn't a dog but I wasn't expecting Cherry to pop up. Also Sakura sensei can sure eat.
Nov 24, 2022 3:35 PM

Dec 2013
IT is rather amusing Lum actually shows less skin on summer and with her swimsuit, she looked super cute with all those outfits.
Nov 24, 2022 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
The power of friendship prevails.

Just a nice time at the beach with the homies.

Nov 24, 2022 3:57 PM

May 2018
The true Pochi was the friends we made along the way
Nov 24, 2022 4:09 PM
Aug 2018
The brilliant twist of Pochi and just not seeing the ending coming but was hilariously fantastic as usual.
Nov 24, 2022 5:06 PM

Apr 2022
Daviljoe193 said:

yea even in the original it was just ok it should've been something they could've adapted way later. well at least Ran is coming next ep
Nov 24, 2022 5:47 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It’s nice to see this entire episode got adapted, it was one I loved from the OG. Nice to see the blue goblin guy is just as cute in the remake, I like the VA for him too, it’s also nice seeing Lum, Shinobu and Sakura in swimsuits in both halves of the episode, definitely a great pool/beach episode power combo. It was also funny to see a reference to that one episode in the original with Sakura eating a ton of food in order to eat for free, I remember that was a hilarious one but it was nice to see a nod to it, would have been funny if they included the restaurant going bankrupt too lol.

And I also loved the recreation of the Pochi twist, i knew it was coming this time but it was still a hilarious reveal and makes the fact the kid took home the blue goblin guy a lot more wholesome, that was one of the reasons I loved the original episode and it was done wonderfully here. I feel like I keep repeating myself when it comes to episodes I’ve already seen in the OG but I can’t think of better ways to word it lol.
Nov 24, 2022 6:20 PM

May 2015
Sakura sure can eat a lot! My theory is that being a priestess just takes that energy out of you. Also what the heck was that kid doing taking care of an old man for at least a month?? He sure is caring.
Nov 24, 2022 7:04 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Shota kun was keeping a madao as a pet... Lmao

Nov 24, 2022 9:13 PM

May 2019
Overall fun episode with all the cute swinsuits showoff. I think it's pretty good way to introduce Tsubame being Sakura's fiance already. There is a glimpse of Sakura's black hole belly there. I like the words play from using the bubbles to communicate with the pool goblin. It's nice to see that Ataru already comfortable with Lum too. I want more of these quintet to do beach episodes, they are good. Next week the real goblin, Ran will arrive. Kinda interested to see Kana Hanazawa's take on Ran since she has two distinct voice range.

Nov 24, 2022 9:17 PM
Apr 2018
old man..........
Nov 24, 2022 10:11 PM

Feb 2016
dbaranyi said:
Too an extent, this remake is almost too reverent. It needs some of Mamoru Oshii's madness to perk it up.

I know my opinion is an unpopular one, but I feel the early episodes of the 80s anime struck the best balance. Episode 13 was a beach episode far funnier than today's.
その目だれの目?
Nov 24, 2022 10:23 PM

Jan 2018
BattousaiKen said:
Daviljoe193 said:

yea even in the original it was just ok it should've been something they could've adapted way later. well at least Ran is coming next ep
I guess it was adapted as a breather episode. I like episodes where the main cast takes a break from the usual shenanigans and just go on a trip together. The OG anime had a lot of these cozy episodes and I hope this one will have some too.
dbaranyi said:
The original VA for the sea demon had a much more irritating voice - real conman/soap story stuff. The new VA was almost too nice.
Apparently the Pool Goblin was voiced by a Japanese comedian.
Other notable voice roles in this episode include the couple who were watching Sakura chow down being voiced by Inuyasha and Kagome's VA and the little kid being voiced by Kohaku's VA I think.
Nov 24, 2022 11:27 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
This is what I love from Takahashi, when many characters from the cast gather together because of whatever crazy reason. And the swimming pool/beach setting is a classic.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Nov 25, 2022 12:02 AM

Aug 2019
Lum's one-piece covers more than her usual clothes

Swimsuit Sakura was the highlight of this beach ep

Nov 25, 2022 1:02 AM
Sep 2021
The comedy element was good, happy that pochi got a new home.
I give it 5/10.
Nov 25, 2022 3:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
When Ataru opened the box and appeared "Pochi" was hilarious!!!! kekeke
Nov 25, 2022 4:32 AM

Apr 2020
I felt bad for Pochi at the start of the ep, glad he found a home :D
Nov 25, 2022 9:04 AM
Nov 2022
The episode was ok, dry compared to the previous ones
Nov 25, 2022 2:07 PM

Feb 2012
I heard Inuyasha and Kagome's seiyuus from the couple watching Sakura and her boyfriend chow down.
What if Pochi wasn't the monk Cherry but the squid he was eating inside the box?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 25, 2022 2:42 PM

Feb 2016
They turned the gloomy goblin into ashes of meh. I didnt like the old one episode of this, but the remake was made even worse. I dont have any empathy for the new goblin compared to the depressed old one.
rip jariten
Nov 25, 2022 2:57 PM
Sep 2018
The cutest episode ever ❤️
Nov 25, 2022 7:23 PM

Feb 2016
Coincidentally, I just re-watched the 80's version of this episode right before this new one aired. I actually found the old Goblin's voice endearing, like a Japanese Lorenzo Music or something. (The Goblin's design was cute too. I need a plush of him.)
Anyway, onto the new one...
It was alright, there wasn't much to say up until the finale with the kid and "Pochi". The build-up to the punchline was great, David Productions really made that one land. Overall, not bad, but we're all excited to see Ran debut in the next episode.

Nov 25, 2022 8:18 PM
Jan 2020
They really shorten the full course from hell to this huh?
Nov 25, 2022 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
Who would have thought that Pochi was the old guy lmao
On the other hand, this new "Pochi" is definitely much better for the kid haha
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 25, 2022 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
This anime is aesthetic af. Since there's no serious overarching story or significant plot, the animators and design team have the liberty to just do whatever they want, in the coolest way possible. The colors, the composition, the cinematography. Nothing ground-breaking but these episodes always such a joy to watch. Whether there's sci-fi themes or they're on a Japanese beach, the setting looks stellar.

From the rich guy's hotel pool to the isolated rock to the crowded beach, Japan in summer seems like the place to be.

I do see a lot of complaints from people, though. I mean, yeah, this episode wasn't exactly interesting or anything. I remember the original episode being unbearable/insufferable because of just how incredibly annoying the water creature was. If anything, I think this episode did some slight justice.
I mean... 80s comedy differs so greatly from modern standards... and it seems like this adaptation is just recycling gags but putting a new aesthetic spin on things. So idk if we can really watch for any kind of genuine comedy or character development. Whether people think the characters are unfunny or the episodes are boring -- I can certainly see where they're coming from.

I originally wanted to say I conquered the entirety of the original Urusei Yatsura series, but I'm currently putting it On-Hold because it just feels like a waste of time -- it's bland and unfunny.
But I actually enjoy this reincarnation a lot purely for the visuals. I think it looks GREAT.
And I DO think it's a little interesting seeing past stories from decades ago get reanimated, or with new twists applied to them.
removed-userNov 25, 2022 10:15 PM
Nov 26, 2022 1:23 AM
Mar 2021
my favorite episode so far
Nov 26, 2022 4:37 AM

May 2021
I was feeling bad for Pochi. Until he interrupted that kiss. That there is a sin.

Nov 26, 2022 6:28 AM

Feb 2016
Fortress_Maximus said:
What if Pochi wasn't the monk Cherry but the squid he was eating inside the box?

That sounds very much like something Cherry would do.
その目だれの目?
Nov 26, 2022 11:07 AM

Jul 2021
decent episode. it was focused on that weird little water demon.

a completely random episode though.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2022

394 by UzAnas »»
Sep 20, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2023

96 by Muow »»
Sep 8, 8:05 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2022

54 by dspr »»
Aug 5, 5:26 PM

» Don't worry, Ranma 1/2 remake will follow... Probably new Maison Ikkoku as well. ( 1 2 )

Ajvisor - Jan 1, 2022

85 by wildhood »»
Aug 1, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

143 by dspr »»
Jul 17, 7:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.