Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 17, 2022 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
Well, it looks like Sarasa can do more than just store management and alchemy. She can fight too and needs to if she wants to help people, including her customers.

I must say, she's quite brave for someone who is on a new adventurer. Managing a shop isn't easy etiher for someone of her experience.
Oct 17, 2022 6:02 AM

Apr 2010
Well the girl Iris was saved but more trouble came with her than expected still Sarasa made a good name in the village by defeating all those bears.
Still the girls managed to get a pretty big debt and i wonder how they are going to pay for that.
Money isn't the most important thing tho and i guess this could result in a nice friendship.
Oct 17, 2022 6:13 AM

Apr 2016
We continue the emergency form the last week, a girl with a torn arm showed up, along with her companions, who seem fond of her, mainly the elf girl and the stylish beard guy tho. But fortunately they come to the house of our heroine, who can heal any wound.

But, now the group needs to pay for the treatment ... a lot of money, which they don't have ... well, time to hit the streets girls, i mean kill some bears.
Oct 17, 2022 6:20 AM

Feb 2020
Sarasa is doing such amazing job. I'm glad Iris was saved.

Nice fight with the bears.

SerafosOct 17, 2022 8:55 AM
Oct 17, 2022 6:26 AM

Feb 2014
When an alchemist is stronger than an adventurer. No wonder alchemist is so respected in this world...
Oct 17, 2022 6:44 AM

Mar 2013
The animation is disappointingly fast paced but I still enjoyed this episode because of the supporting characters having their own VA's and helping (a bit) our cute and lovely Sarasa-chan.

We finally got to have the 2 new members for Sarasa's circle. The Archer, Kate and the Assassin?, Iris from the OP.

This series really reminds me of Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, they animated it lightheartedly.

Great and lovely character designs (especially the girls) but the frames were lacking even if I watched it in 2K... OwO
CrazyButNot4UOct 17, 2022 9:22 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 17, 2022 7:21 AM

Apr 2012
the episode was fine but man, there was that 1 thing that made it super bad
the fact that they killed all the bears without touching any of them.
they jumped in -> 1 frame of a slash -> bear dropped dead
super weird after showing Sarasa dissecting that 1 bear, full of blood
Oct 17, 2022 7:31 AM

Feb 2021
Something dark is going on with the alchemist
Oct 17, 2022 7:35 AM

Mar 2021
Am so glad Sarasa managed to save Iris's life and she looked so badass flying in and saving her friend from the bears
Oct 17, 2022 7:39 AM

Feb 2022
Sarasa has bear parts for days, i love the way she got stuck into the first one

Boss fight = rarer parts so good job she decapitated it to preserve as much as possible
Oct 17, 2022 7:51 AM

Jul 2017
Sarasa's first duty to save an injured adventurer (Iris) from almost being slained by a monster, a flaming grizzly bear to be exact, and its tedious work using medicine and artifacts that amount to the same as a life saved that takes manhours just to concoct medicine. A good thing that Iris Lotze managed to recover nicely, though the cost would be a magnitude to cover that Sarasa didn't mention out of goodwill.

This Hellflame Grizzly is a cause for concern, and that requires more ingredients, so the alchemist is accompanied by adventurers...to display her OP self, which NGL, feels weird that she's just completed her sword training with Master Ophelia the episode before, and jumped levels beyond to warn the village of a potential monster attack from the hellflame grizzlies.

Too little time, and too late to ever make a calculated move, and Sarasa joins the fray being part-alchemist, part-adventurer in the fight against the roaming hellflame grizzlies, which she slays to hopefully earn enough money out from livestock.

Something about this tells me that the direction this is going is kinda wishy-washy...
KANLen09Oct 18, 2022 10:59 AM
Oct 17, 2022 7:53 AM
Nov 2020
Meh, not really a huge fan of the decision to make an alchemist who practiced with a sword for one day be a better fighter than a bunch of experienced adventurers.
Oct 17, 2022 9:35 AM
Aug 2011
The hell was that episode? It's like they compressed entire book into 20 minutes of lackluster action. After first 2 episodes I hoped that it will be enjoyable and relaxing, if mediocre show, but now I don't know what to think.
Oct 17, 2022 9:46 AM
Dec 2016
Yup! Exactly. I'm here for slow and relaxing rural alchemy, not another stupidly-op-isekai-hero killing bears right and left.
Oct 17, 2022 10:12 AM

Nov 2009
I didn't expect a moeblob anime to give a speech that stinks of big pharma price inflating excuses
Oct 17, 2022 10:19 AM
May 2019
terrible episode. mediocre characters. cheap animation and so lame.
Oct 17, 2022 10:22 AM

Dec 2012
Went from relaxing slice of life to full blown action in minutes didn't it...
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 17, 2022 10:59 AM

Jun 2016
Didn't expect Sarasa to be a battle alchemist. Great episode. But I’m just interested if anyone reading the original, info about future event
-
ShiroAlexOct 17, 2022 11:30 AM
Oct 17, 2022 11:09 AM

Dec 2010
So first thing on the menu when a dying person is lying in front of you is talking about money? Yeah I'm with those 2 adventurers here, that's fucking scummy. It becomes even more obvious when Iris immediately offered her help in defending the village without asking for pay. Y'know, because people's lives are at stake. The author trying to make Sarasa out to be the good guy here by going out of the way to have the 2 adventurers abandon the village to basically force the viewer to regard them as irredeemable scum is just horrible writing.
Also, suddenly making Sarasa into a one man army when she's supposed to be just a simple alchemist... was that really necessary? Why did it feel like I'm suddenly watching a fucking battle shounen?

I liked the first 2 episodes, but this one brought me very close to dropping this shite.
Oct 17, 2022 11:20 AM
May 2014
Capitalism, Ho!
that debt is growing steadily, maybe she can sell the ingredients next episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2022 11:29 AM
Aug 2018
The bit with weighing a human life against money was just awful. I mean sure, there was some truth behind it, sure she has to charge people for medicine, but the *way* it was put was really fucked up. The random dudes were right for being angry at her when she kept going on about money with a dying girl in the room. Either she wasn't going to let her die, so she should have been doing at least the bare minimum treatment for her to survive right away instead of standing there asking how much money the girl is willing to offer up for her friend's life, and just how good it should be, or she really did just care about the money. And what's with distinguishing potions not by their name, power or the completely different bottle each one was in, but by the price? I mean, damn, what does she do if someone brings in a dying person who nobody knows? Is she just going to let that person die because there isn't anyone around to say she'll get paid?

And going back to the explanation she gave, there's just so much wrong, like saying she has to charge money because the amount of medicine is limited - that doesn't really apply with life saving medicine, does it? It's not like people are no longer going to suffer potentially fatal injuries because the medicine is expensive. It's like this fantasy world has managed to create an even worse version of the American healthcare system, which is honestly impressive.

Worst part is, this all happens after the episode where she gets welcomed in the village and gets a bunch of stuff from everyone, some presumably free, or at least rushed so she gets it as fast as possible. And yet the two dudes that were angry about her talking about money are lectured about how "they also wouldn't accept giving the things they gathered to someone for free just to help them out"
Oct 17, 2022 1:17 PM
Feb 2019
Sarasa and the village made it through the raid. Now Sarasa needs to worry about the the business and the getting the money for the potions.
Oct 17, 2022 2:06 PM

Sep 2020
Sarasha can do so many things, hope she can get the money back by collecting the bears' materials, also funny that she just says "I may just turn them into materials".
Oct 17, 2022 2:12 PM

Jan 2014
Ok like I don't know why they decided that a flaming bear invasion was a good idea since it was quite off-putting. And this ep was just so all over the place. I might give this one more chance but by now I have doubts that this is gonna be bearable.
Oct 17, 2022 2:23 PM
Dec 2017
Gonery said:
It's like this fantasy world has managed to create an even worse version of the American healthcare system, which is honestly impressive.

The school Sarasa attended must have been teaching a Laissez-Faire version of the "equivalent exchange" principle.

Management of a Novice Alchemist? Maybe next season there will be "Marxism of a Seasoned Witch" anime.
Tacsk0Oct 17, 2022 2:31 PM
Oct 17, 2022 2:27 PM
May 2021
astralkill00 said:
The animation is disappointingly fast paced but I still enjoyed this episode because of the supporting characters having their own VA's and helping (a bit) our cute and lovely Sarasa-chan.

We finally got to have the 2 new members for Sarasa's circle. The Archer, Kate and the Assassin?, Iris from the OP.

This series really reminds me of Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, they animated it lightheartedly.

Great and lovely character designs (especially the girls) but the frames were lacking even if I watched it in 2K... OwO

Yeah, the animation was a bit disappointing for this episode. The first 2 episodes are at a good pace but this one is a little bit rushed. I hope they didn't rush too much bc it has a good story.
Oct 17, 2022 2:47 PM
Dec 2017
Sid said:
I didn't expect a moeblob anime to give a speech that stinks of big pharma price inflating excuses

Smile of the Martin Shkreli the Animation...

The LN author is likely a hikikomori (japanese equivalent of a basement-dwelling neckbeard) who has cryptopunk phantasies of a Wild West x Somalia style anarcho-capitalist alt-right paradise. Nevermind the darned state gave Sarasa 5 years of free higher education in alchemy?
Oct 17, 2022 3:10 PM
Jun 2020
Wait, are people actually complaining about the fight animation? I wasn't expecting that fight against the boss would have a that good animation.

I think the director dealt with the low budget on action scenes pretty well.
Oct 17, 2022 4:05 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Uh, at least she could save that girl but of course she also needs money to live even though it's urgency it's normal that they have to pay after that. Anyway these fire grizzly are still annoying and good thing they managed to clear the town from them after luring them and Sarasa saved everyone xD She's stronger than expected
Oct 17, 2022 4:14 PM
Apr 2022
kinda boring in my opinion to be fair but it's only the 3rd episode
Oct 17, 2022 5:14 PM

Sep 2020
There were some nice action scenes in this episode that managed to convey very well just how powerful Sarasa really is.
And that part with Sarasa gruesomely gathering parts from the bear was pretty funny.

It also looks like Sarasa honestly laying down the reasons as to why an alchemist shouldn't just help people for free rustled some jimmies among certain people, hilarious!
Oct 17, 2022 5:19 PM
Apr 2022
Some people seem really upset at Sarasa for stating the cold hard facts of life. Looking at how much it cost to get the bear mauled girl back into tip top shape she would rapidly go out of business if she did not get paid for it. Leaving the next who knows how many sick people to just die since there is no one to help them. And I guess this shows why the government was trying to get an alchemist out there they are a combination Hospital/national guard post.
Oct 17, 2022 5:30 PM

Jun 2014
Truly fast paced. With this vol 1 is over.

Wish they spend a bit more time developping the world instead of going straight into action. The reason Sarasa had those potion was because it was a gift from her master, there's no way she could have made them after getting broke buying all those tome in ep 1 lol.

Hell this episode makes it looks like sarasa haven't even started business, how did she makes those potion? iirc she was actually already doing business wayyy before Iris came over but well the anime just had to quicken the pace.

Animation was a bit all over the place too. A bit disappointing but now that I've seen the studio I should have expected it.

The anime is shaping up to be as mediocre as the WN, hopefully since this is adapting the LN I hope there will be a few more surprise like ep 1.
Oct 17, 2022 6:13 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This took a turn from comfy to intense real quick. First I’m glad Iris was saved, love blue hair waifus, and we also witnessed that Sarasa is absolutely busted thanks to Ophelia’s training, I definitely didn’t see that coming from a character like Sarasa lol, she’s every class type poured into one. And her dissecting that hellfire grizzly was also unexpected, this definitely seemed like a more lighthearted show but that was surprisingly bloody lol, I don’t mind it but rip any Japanese kid that was scarred watching it.

And while parts of the episode looked a bit poor animation and art wise, that bit where Sarasa fought the boss grizzly had some really nice animation, ENGI is good at doing bursts of great animation lol. And I’m convinced at this point we’ll never get the ED, maybe one day lol, or maybe it’ll always be played over a scene.
TheColonel76Oct 17, 2022 6:19 PM
Oct 17, 2022 6:47 PM

Feb 2018
This episode just seemed really dumb compared to the others.
I didn't know she was insanely over powered and could take down bears. I thought she was just supposed to be an alchemist.
The way they dealt with the bears was also weird. After just a bit of training they could take them out.
Just seemed a bit random to have the threat of the bears and then deal with it so easily.
Oct 17, 2022 7:25 PM

May 2019
This was a bit of a strange episode with Sarasa appearing overpowered as she was taking down grizzly bears down by herself and the first one without the use of her sword. Regarding saving Iris, I figure Iris can work for Sarasa to help pay off the debt, Kate too for that matter. I was forgetting there are adventure/action aspects to this show and that its not just a SoL as shown on the genre section here on MAL.
Oct 17, 2022 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
viperhc said:
This was a bit of a strange episode with Sarasa appearing overpowered as she was taking down grizzly bears down by herself and the first one without the use of her sword. Regarding saving Iris, I figure Iris can work for Sarasa to help pay off the debt, Kate too for that matter. I was forgetting there are adventure/action aspects to this show and that its not just a SoL as shown on the genre section here on MAL.

Strange Episode Indeed or should I say cringey when she can butcher that bear without even staining blood LMAO

Even what's was the point of the traps when she can one slash her enemies. 20 bears should've been a breeze

Then there was that:

I'd need people to carry ingredients gathered
Also her having a freaking bag that can almost carry everything

Utterly disappointed I thought this was gonna give off some refreshing episodes. Welp that was just my expectations leaning on SOL side I forgot there was also that adventure genre

Oct 17, 2022 8:16 PM

Feb 2019
I was not expecting to see great sakuga in this series lol. Seeing sarasa take out the bears was actually crazy. Cool to see her combat abilities
Oct 17, 2022 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
not a bad episode, and i still kept thinking Sarasa is Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura lol she really reminds me of her lol
Oct 17, 2022 11:35 PM

Oct 2019
Why did episode 3 turn into trying to morally justify a system that fuels privatized healthcare. There are even government subsidies in the first episode that allow her to even get the shop in the country. and they try to make the 2 who are like why are you talking about money right now when this woman is dying the assholes. People need to get paid for work, but trying to use that morality in a bet to reinforce privatized healthcare is fucked up. Health care workers need to get paid, and people need health care. THATS WHY TAXES ARE PAID. If the government doesnt do it theres no reason to have one, its not doing its job if its not providing this basic social service
Oct 18, 2022 3:08 AM

Oct 2007
surprised at the amount of bear gore shown in this show.

the two adventurers now have a 20 million debt, and Sarasa is going bankrupt (lol). Hopefully, the bear parts obtained from the battle can help compensate.

this and Bocchi are the shows I'm enjoying the most this new season.

looking forward to next week!
Oct 18, 2022 9:25 AM

Oct 2008
oh my! it is a mass kumaMASSacre!
3/5.
oh man female MC is a warrior! ruthless!

Oct 18, 2022 11:02 AM

May 2015
Her treatment cost 20,000,000 lol. She gonna be working for a while to pay that off.

Action was a bit of a hit and miss. Felt low budget at times, cutting away from when the weapon connected and other times felt alright like when she versed the boss. But to be honest its a slice of life anime so its not really a focus anyway. (Unless they keep having action throughout)

I liked the serious/evil version of the MC that appeared for a split second towards the end. Hope we see her go balistic at some point in the future.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 18, 2022 8:32 PM

Apr 2008
I know you know what an alchemist is, Japan, so what is she doing being a battlemage incomparably stronger than all the muscular adventurers in town? You'd think this was an isekai. And I'd be fine with the main being greedy as a character flaw, but that speech was terrible. That's enough of this show.
Oct 18, 2022 8:36 PM

Apr 2021
Wtf was that? An alchemist beating up monsters better than adventurers? Iirc, she just had her sword training with her master last episode. I didn't expect her to develop her swordsmanship/combat ability this much within a short span of time.

Oct 19, 2022 1:19 AM

Jan 2017
I need a scene where the injured cannot pay and Sarasa lets them die. God it would be so based.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Oct 19, 2022 2:07 AM

Oct 2020
Ms. Sarasa's speed was like LLENN from SAO Gun Gale Online, she's is brave.
Oct 19, 2022 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with those who disliked the speech. I was like, wow, are we in an American hospital right now? Talking about payment when someone's on the verge of death.

And there's some same-face syndrome going on. Every girl looks the same apart from hair and eye color. There's not even variation in eye shape to balance things out.

All that aside, I am still enjoying this show as an Atelier fan.
Oct 19, 2022 7:53 PM

Oct 2009
Since when this Anime turned into Attack on Flaming Bears.. all you need is the theme song and we're all set.
Oct 20, 2022 4:31 AM
Dec 2016
Gonery said:
The bit with weighing a human life against money was just awful. I mean sure, there was some truth behind it, sure she has to charge people for medicine, but the *way* it was put was really fucked up. The random dudes were right for being angry at her when she kept going on about money with a dying girl in the room. Either she wasn't going to let her die, so she should have been doing at least the bare minimum treatment for her to survive right away instead of standing there asking how much money the girl is willing to offer up for her friend's life, and just how good it should be, or she really did just care about the money. And what's with distinguishing potions not by their name, power or the completely different bottle each one was in, but by the price? I mean, damn, what does she do if someone brings in a dying person who nobody knows? Is she just going to let that person die because there isn't anyone around to say she'll get paid?

And going back to the explanation she gave, there's just so much wrong, like saying she has to charge money because the amount of medicine is limited - that doesn't really apply with life saving medicine, does it? It's not like people are no longer going to suffer potentially fatal injuries because the medicine is expensive. It's like this fantasy world has managed to create an even worse version of the American healthcare system, which is honestly impressive.

Worst part is, this all happens after the episode where she gets welcomed in the village and gets a bunch of stuff from everyone, some presumably free, or at least rushed so she gets it as fast as possible. And yet the two dudes that were angry about her talking about money are lectured about how "they also wouldn't accept giving the things they gathered to someone for free just to help them out"

Well, this actually really bad. First, even real doctor at present time time in our modern world when medicine is one of the largest scientific field with " Evidence based medicine" at your service can't say "well, this drug would heal you. Please pay around xxx gold". This is the sayings of the wrong, fraud healer. God curse them.

If doctor in the real world have bad ethics like Sarasa, there would be 100000000x time more cases of medical sues by patient because well, the doctor oath is to try to help patient optimally with his knowledge and expertise,, not to "100% sure that patient will be 100% healed because he pays money to me". Doctor can't said that " Oh well, this medicine will heal you if you paid" .BECAUSE THAT A BIG FLAG FOR FUTURE SUES YOU SUSSY BAKA. Seriously doctor guild, universities, and alchemist guild should call her and at least lectured her because most of sue to doctor is actually not because they're wrong but because lack of communication and emphaty. This is going worse consider that she said that "her intention to heal her is still pure". WAIT WHAAAT, I'm sure other doctor in the Kingdom would not said " This drug vial costed me aroud xx, so you have to paid xx or I wouldn't give this and this", every time she do an action. If you want to talk about money, talk about it in the beginning, at the end, or if you want to put it on the middle please do it once only when you really want to step up the treatment. I know the writer use this cliche dialogues to embrace the idea that she's good manager but a good manager (a good semi hospital manager) won't damage his reputation by doing those things

Second, when we talk about alchemist actually alchemist in the real world have deep relation with religion and faith, one would said that even the most well prepared alchemical research or practice would be fail because impure intention and bad ethics (because yeah, they love superstition). Because yeah, alchemy is proto-chemisty. You didn't know the reaction formula, you didn't know how this will be a success or not even more than now so you can't just have a bad ethics and pray that God won't punish you

Well, if she know that the clinic or drugstore or anything located in remote village then she don't need to actually provide expensive drugs (because villagers and beginner adventurers can't even paid the bill) just provide them with bare minimal drugs if enough or let them paid with another mean like binding contract or something. I think since High middle ages people can make complicated contract that can least hundreds of years, Sarasa can gain stable income from "taxing the patient" like this. This can be a good plot point and still have SoL middle age feel instead of cheap plot progression chosen by Engi/the writer or whoever that choose this ridiculous dialogue.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Koito91Oct 22, 2022 3:31 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» This is very good! A hidden gem!

RjtheGreat14 - Mar 3

11 by JadeHoxen »»
Mar 6, 8:40 PM

» I Can't Wait To Watch Full Moe Alchemist

Roderick24_ - Sep 12, 2022

7 by RjtheGreat14 »»
Mar 3, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2022

50 by DEMSpirit »»
Feb 27, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2022

24 by TMSH_Aku »»
Jan 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Shinmai Renkinjutsushi no Tenpo Keiei Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2022

38 by Garrett_Dark »»
Dec 21, 2023 3:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.