Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 8, 2021 2:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Decent episode. Yoh continues to bring a cool yet appealing personality into this show. He is just like the original version as how I remember.

Very curious to see what supernatural entities this season will bring in soon. More characters are also making appearances already which is awesome especially Tao Ren.
Stark700Apr 8, 2021 3:05 AM
Apr 8, 2021 2:26 AM
Feb 2020
You know what, I planned on giving this episode a 4 out 5, much like the first one. But I'll go with 5/5

If I were to break it down the first half of the episode I felt more of a 3/5 but then the end of the end of the episode was everything I ever wanted, and was positively surprised enough that I am willing to consider it a really good episode as a whole.

I'm still not very happy about the pace of the show, especially since these are still the "slow" episodes, but so far every time director Furuta manged to make it better than I expected, and well, everything that is happening in the anime even if rearranged or "changed" is still exactly in line with the manga, which I do have to respect no matter my other feelings.

I loved it.
Apr 8, 2021 4:14 AM
Apr 2021
This Episode was awesome. The fight wasnt too long and also not too short. It didnt seem rushed, love to see it.
Apr 8, 2021 7:15 AM
Aug 2011
the way it is going at is not cool at all.
Apr 8, 2021 8:10 AM

Apr 2009
Man, so good to be able to hear Romi Park again.
Apr 8, 2021 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
Great episode
The contrast on Yoh and Ren's perspective on the same scenario.. beautiful stars or polluted sky.. loved to see Ren shine even though he's justifiably an asshole
Yoh perfect as always tho.. him being able to use 100% incorporation after seeing it once.. "otagai no kimochi ga 100% hitotsu ni nareba.." DAMNNNNN
Anna best girl shows up, that slap hurt

Also.. kid Yoh a cute
Apr 8, 2021 10:19 AM

Jan 2021
Okey, nice episode
The confrontation of thoughts on how to use the spirits, I loved the fight
You as a child was so cute xd
Wait, did she just say fiancée? Σ(O_O)
Apr 8, 2021 10:52 AM

Apr 2011

Yoh is one of my favorite shounen protagonists ever.

This episode was pretty good!!
Apr 8, 2021 11:26 AM

Oct 2017
This Ren kid is really edgy so it was fun to watch his ass get beaten by Yoh. Yoh's short backstory was quite interesting and lol his motivation to become the Shaman King is just gold. Also finally Anna makes her appearance, she'll be an amusing one for sure.
Apr 8, 2021 11:36 AM

Oct 2020
A pretty good episode. The fight scene between Yoh and Ren was well done. Ren seems like an interesting character. I'd like to see more of him. The latter half of the episode was pretty hilarious. We also got to see a bit of Anna at the end!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2021 11:54 AM

Nov 2014
this was such a good episode,it seems like it'll be a great adaptation,i just hope it'll not be too rushed near the end.
Apr 8, 2021 12:04 PM

Nov 2014
why is the fight animation so terrible despite being a remake? you would think a remake would have better animation like Hunter x Hunter and FMA:B. And the final showdown is kinda anti-climatic. Ren got defeated in a single strike? Really? They couldn't have at least showed them exchanging a few blows after all that talk? I really feel like dropping this but I'll wait to see how next episode adapts Anna's scenes before doing so.
Apr 8, 2021 12:28 PM

Mar 2016
I liked this one. I'd give it a 4. Way better than episode 1, I actually felt something here and it was nice to see Yoh's laziness finally brought to light. I kinda thought that hadn't been conveyed well enough, but it worked for me.

It would've been better with a better Amidamaru episode 1, to really get a better connection, but I could at least see it here. And Ren's introduction, personality, mindset, personality all worked well, and so did the friendship between Yoh, Amidamaru and Manta.

Not bad, not bad. I still think they could trim the first 20 second recap though and use their finite time more efficiently though. I look forward to seeing more. And this was a pleasant surprise after the slight disappointment from last week.

I know it's not going to be 1:1 with the manga, but I'm going to sit back and see how it works as its own thing from now on, and go from there.
CrimsonCWApr 8, 2021 12:31 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Apr 8, 2021 12:36 PM
Feb 2021
I never watched /read the original so I don't get the nostalgic value so much as other people, but either way this show looks crispy and the concept is really cool. The backstory for Yoh was actually interesting too, which is something I usually don't say about anime backstories.

Apr 8, 2021 12:43 PM

Feb 2019
raifuresu said:

I really can relate to his words lol , it seems that I'll put him in my favourite characters soon
Apr 8, 2021 12:45 PM
May 2018
So the boy that is voiced by my favourite voice actress Park Romi appeared!! i liked the fight short but good!! anna seems very interesting i think i will like her
Apr 8, 2021 12:50 PM

Aug 2020
Says the slightly larger shrimp to another shrimp.
Apr 8, 2021 12:56 PM

Mar 2017
Well I like Anna already for giving that annoying little shit the slap he deserves haha

It's kinda sad how relevant the message of caring for the planet still is despite this being a story from 1998. Just goes to show that the human race never changes.

Episode 2 and I'm still not feeling it. The animation isn't great and so far there isn't a single character that I like. Feels like nothing really happened this episode, just like with episode 1. Hopefully, it'll get better
Apr 8, 2021 1:05 PM
Mar 2021
I enjoyed this episode a lot, and I like how we got a glimpse of a backstory for Yoh. Ren seems like a very intriguing character and I am interested to know more about him and what led him to believe in the things he believes in the show.
Apr 8, 2021 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
That slap got to hurt. Ouch. Anna wasn't holding back. As someone who hasn't watched the original, Anna being Yoh's fiancee was a surprise for me.

Apr 8, 2021 2:02 PM

Jun 2014
We got Ren's introduction and he's already butting heads with Yoh. Nice to see Anna show up at the end, complete with her trademark slap. Poor Manta lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 8, 2021 2:19 PM

Sep 2011
ttcchen said:
why is the fight animation so terrible despite being a remake? you would think a remake would have better animation like Hunter x Hunter and FMA:B. And the final showdown is kinda anti-climatic. Ren got defeated in a single strike? Really? They couldn't have at least showed them exchanging a few blows after all that talk?

Gotta say I was also a little disappointed with the fight animation, Amidamaru's deflecting could be more fluid and Bason's Chuuka Zanmai could at least have Ren flinging his spear a little.. still liked how it went, but yeah animation was luckluster ;-;
Hope in the future and in more important fights it gets better
Apr 8, 2021 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
i thought i heard Ren's voice somewhere and for sure i did! it's park Romi who voiced hange from aot and i didn't notice that hange and edward from fma had same va?? i only know ed and natsume(from gakuen alice) has same va. Also yoh has a fiancee??! wow she slapped the shit out of that boy who i don't remember his name xD she really didn't hold back at all. i hope she will be likable at least. this was a decent episode btw
removed-userApr 8, 2021 2:51 PM
Apr 8, 2021 3:03 PM

Jan 2020
is it just me or sometimes the characters have a funko-pop/nendoroid head?lol
Apr 8, 2021 3:16 PM

Jun 2019
This feels very mid so far. I know the manga came out late 90’s, but the animation is not making this run-of-the-mill content much more engaging. It was a typical “early antagonist turns into a rival” fight which didn’t emotionally impact me one bit.
Apr 8, 2021 3:29 PM

Aug 2020
What the heck is that, first on the moves and on slicing car they missed something on animation lmao

Apr 8, 2021 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
The fights were incredible There really was something going on about Shaman king.
Apr 8, 2021 4:33 PM
Feb 2021
Animation was heh. They also missed on of my favorite pages smh.
Plot didn't start yet, won't for a while, so it looking average is still OK.
Apr 8, 2021 4:34 PM
Apr 2021
I really wanted to like this remake but unfortunately it won't let me. The animation is cheap, full of still frames the creators tried to hide with beautiful colors and drawings. I mean, can we at least see Manta climbing the fence of the graveyard. This wasn’t even a fight scene!

The pacing, as closer to the manga as it may be, is worse compared to the 2001 series. The previous series extended or altered some things in the first episodes, not for the sake of making more of them but in order to build the characters. For example, Ren was presented like a powerful creepy guy who stalks Manta for half an episode. Then the fight was split in to two parts to emphasize on the difference between the two shamans on the first part, and the bond between Yoh and Amidamaru on the second one. The locations of the fights were also different but that was also an improvement. In the manga, and this series, the fight takes place on a street that was supposed to have people. Where were they? Why did anyone come to stop the fight between two kids, one of whom had a real weapon? So isolated locations like a graveyard and a park were a better choice.

Finally, WHY WAS RENS JACKET GLOWING?

When I learned that there would be a remake, I got excited. We would finally see the series end in anime form, but this is clearly a low budget production that would have come unnoticed if it weren’t for the already established fan base. They could have gone for an A but they chose a C.

Disappointing.
AntisortepApr 8, 2021 4:48 PM
Apr 8, 2021 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
typical shounen anime are their character had always either too kind (this is for yoh) or loser or shy or can't kill enemy, etc. but at least shounen story usually have enjoyable plot (such as figting one vs one). looking forward until the end (perhaps lol)
Apr 8, 2021 4:38 PM
Nov 2017
raifuresu said:

I really like Yoh's personality!

and so much nostalgia watching this new version of Shaman King, I watched the original on Fox Kids Latin-America so many years ago.
Apr 8, 2021 4:59 PM

Jul 2009
I hate the animation. The whole fight looked like a slideshow, everything looks so stiff. And I'm sorry for this comparision, but while the animation in the old anime was far from perfect, it still looked more fluid and had more frames during the fight than this, no joke. It also had cool sound effects, shots and dynamic angles. There's none of it in this remake. Hell, even the way Ren "unfolded" his guan dao was more dynamic and badass in the old anime thanks to those loud, cool sound effects and quick movements. Same when he was about to attack Yoh and jumped up in the air spinning guan dao in his hand, that moment alone had more frames and fluidity than any scene in the remake lmao.

The moment I saw they skipped some scenes in the 1st episode, I knew they're going to butcher the relatioship development. Yoh/Manta/Amidamaru's friendship doesn't feel believable, I still can't connect with any of the characters. There will be no moments with them just chatting, cracking jokes etc., just constant fights which don't even look that great.

I still don't like the music, while it sounds fine on its own, I think it just doesn't fit and sounds kinda lame during the fights.

Antisortep said:
The previous series extended or altered some things in the first episodes, not for the sake of making more of them but in order to build the characters.

I always say that some of the changes in the 2001 anime actually improved the story, the character development etc. The locations of the fights, at least this particular fight is a very good example.
Apr 8, 2021 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
Ok once again let me say I just love yoh character so much. He just so relatable especially when he was little and said that he just wants to only listen to music and relax. And then when he heard abt the king of spirits he went like “ oh I won’t have to do work! And he will do whatever i want!” Lmao basically he just so relatable. Also I love his voice. For some reason it’s just so soft, cute and calming.
Apr 8, 2021 5:14 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty nice episode.

Fairly straight forward theme with the whole friends vs tools. Surprised they brought it up so early but the fight was pretty classic Shounen stuff but cool nonetheless.

Yoh's motives for being the Shaman King made me laugh, nothing wrong with wanting to take it easy after reaching the goal. xD

Love Anna's design.
Apr 8, 2021 5:47 PM

Jan 2020
I liked this one lots. Yoh and Amidamaru seem awesome together and the fight with Ren was dope.

Anna looks very interesting and that flashback segment was nice too. Two episodes in and my opinions on the series are quite positive and I'm glad.

Apr 8, 2021 5:52 PM

Oct 2019
I am really enjoying this series! Yes, the animation could be better, but IMO the pacing was fixed and honestly I feel that this was worth the wait. Now let’s see how the next episode turns out...
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Apr 8, 2021 6:01 PM

Mar 2016
minfairys said:
i thought i heard Ren's voice somewhere and for sure i did! it's park Romi who voiced hange from aot and i didn't notice that hange and edward from fma had same va?? i only know ed and natsume(from gakuen alice) has same va. Also yoh has a fiancee??! wow she slapped the shit out of that boy who i don't remember his name xD she really didn't hold back at all. i hope she will be likable at least. this was a decent episode btw

You do know that voice actors.... act, right? That they can talk and sound differently simply by voicing different characters?

Park does Edward from FMA, Ren from SK, and even Rakugo from Kill la Kill; none of which sound the same, despite it being the same actor. That's the biz.
CrimsonCWApr 9, 2021 10:07 AM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Apr 8, 2021 6:54 PM

Jan 2009
i guess there will be no sakuga on this show but its fine its still enjoyable

Ren learned his own lesson that 100% fusion with the spirit is not just like he is doing lol so Yoh showed him how its properly done

and the power of friendship again

Apr 8, 2021 7:24 PM

Oct 2019
deg said:
i guess there will be no sakuga on this show but its fine its still enjoyable

Yeah, even without sakuga, this show is still pretty enjoyable.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Apr 8, 2021 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
Ren is such an edgy kid. It was nice to see Yoh defeating him in the end with some nakama power.

Also, Anna showed up and slapped Manta as part of her presentation. God, wish that was me.
Apr 8, 2021 8:45 PM
Dec 2018
I should have recognized Hitsugaya's VA LMAO. It has been way too long since I have watched Bleach.

Anyways, I am not digging the character design. Ren's head is a bit too big for his body and that other kid is like... small. WTF is up with the height difference?
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 8, 2021 8:47 PM
Jul 2019
I won't lie, the big heads were really jarring to watch in many scenes in this episode, particularly in action ones, but other than that it was a well paced episode. Just really wish the heads get smaller somehow, sigh.
Apr 8, 2021 8:51 PM
Jul 2019
raifuresu said:

This picture could be posted in the Anime IRL subreddit, lol.
Apr 8, 2021 11:14 PM

Jul 2017
The first of many Shaman enemies-turned-comrades: Tao Ren with his spirit Bason, and both Yoh and Amidamaru seem unfazed by it...

...at least until the dope fight. And what a vast difference of partial vs. full spirit Integration.

Learning about Yoh's backstory also cements why Yoh's grandfather of a master wants him to master the art of Shinigami, be the king of spirits and become the Shaman King. AHHH my nostalgia is kicking in real quick.

And ending the episode with Anna being Yoh's fiancé, and Manta getting slapped by her, suck that in real quick too.

Baring without the filler chapters of the manga, this is looking more to be an even better adaptation.
Apr 8, 2021 11:29 PM
May 2019
For some reason I'm unable to take middle school kids being edgy seriously,especially that Tao Ren made me barf,do the characters grow physically in the series eventually? Those stick limbs and huge heads are turning me off. Solid 3/5
Apr 9, 2021 12:33 AM

Apr 2014
Shaman King: The Bulletpoint Version

Apr 9, 2021 1:08 AM

Sep 2018
Yes! the best Shounen Girl Anna is here!!!
well that's just my opinion.....
Apr 9, 2021 1:35 AM

Aug 2008
Eeeeh, can't put my finger on why, but this is kind of crap. Writing is pretty awful and it feels like there are some weird inconsistencies in animation, especially character models. This definitely isn't getting HxH remake treatment. Couple more episodes like that and the manga author will miss the first adaptation. I didn't notice before but studio making it has an awful track record. Wasn't this supposed to be a beloved series? Why give it to someone like that...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 9, 2021 2:11 AM

Apr 2014
Yeah!!! Shaman King officially begins here where Anna, the best girl, makes her appearance.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 9, 2021 3:18 AM

Oct 2016
Good episode, Yoh is a fucking mood.

Park Romi's voice is badass as always, though Ren's cheeks got clapped.

Oh damn, Anna is Yoh's fiance. Poor Manta always getting abused lmao.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 40 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2022

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 24, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

15 by almightybismarck »»
May 23, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 38 Discussion

MahiaErebeaNegi - Jan 4, 2022

26 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 9:37 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 37 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 36 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

18 by almightybismarck »»
May 15, 9:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.