Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 23, 2021 7:16 PM

Jan 2021
I mean I know the actual quality of a show doesn't necessarily translate to the popularity, but I mean come on it's so hated it can't be that wide-spread.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 2021 7:18 PM

Dec 2020
It is good anime according to those who are new to the community.
Feb 23, 2021 7:21 PM
Jan 2021
People have their different taste ig...
Feb 23, 2021 7:21 PM
May 2019
GoldenMonster said:
I mean I know the actual quality of a show doesn't necessarily translate to the popularity, but I mean come on it's so hated it can't be that wide-spread.

SAO was one of the first animes I ever watched, so I still watch every season for nostalgia. Even though it's really freaking bad. I think it's still very popular because even of nostalgia and because I guess a lot of people still enjoy it even if it's not the best.
Feb 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Oct 2013
Hatred of it is over exaggerated. Sure it's not a "masterpiece", but it's far from the worst thing ever. Not even close.
Feb 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Mar 2019
cos its a starter anime for many new watchers, also ppl tht over-hate on it r sheeps
Feb 23, 2021 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
I personally don't understand the hate towards it. I honestly thought the first season was pretty good. Even if it may not be my favorite series. I guess I'll just have to see what the hate is about when I get around to watching season 2 since I hear that season is infamous.
removed-userFeb 23, 2021 7:36 PM
Feb 23, 2021 7:26 PM

Oct 2018
I don't hate it. I just wish there wasn't a rapist in every season.

Feb 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Oct 2018
I honestly think SAO wouldn't be as popular as it is without the hate it gets. Since most people now just watch SAO to see if it is as bad as people make it out to be or it was one of their first anime and it is an easy anime to recommend to newcomers.
Feb 23, 2021 7:32 PM

Feb 2019
Sao is that much popular because its the most hated anime in existence. Though i don't understand why people hate sao that much, i mean there's lot more worse anime than sao exist
Feb 23, 2021 7:32 PM

Dec 2020
I personally don't understand the hate towards. I honestly thought the first season was pretty good. Even if it may not be my favorite series. I guess I'll just have to see what the hate is about when I get around to watching season 2 since I hear that season is infamous.

From what I have seen, SAO is considered a misleading and underdeveloped anime. Its first episode gives the expectation of a rpg-themed battle anime, but then it turns very romantic. Kirito is powerful on an annoying level and his harem is poorly built.
Feb 23, 2021 7:33 PM

Jan 2017
TheFireNinja said:
I personally don't understand the hate towards. I honestly thought the first season was pretty good. Even if it may not be my favorite series. I guess I'll just have to see what the hate is about when I get around to watching season 2 since I hear that season is infamous.

imo season 2 was better but both were shit i think
you're cool
Feb 23, 2021 7:35 PM

Apr 2017
SAO did it's movie (Ordinal Scale) well, but tbh, the actual main seasons of the show aren't great. If Alicization had been a standalone title rather than part of SAO, it could've hit a 10 for me. But uh... there was just a lot gone wrong.

Still, shows where a lot has gone wrong does not mean that the audience will pick up on it. Most people watching their anime probably don't perform that high in their literature courses at school, just average. Naturally, it would also only take mediocre storytelling to impress most people.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Feb 23, 2021 7:36 PM
Feb 2021
how was Hitler so popular? How is communism so popular?
I always make the same questions...
Feb 23, 2021 7:37 PM

Apr 2020
cuz generic power-up mc
and also everyone thought that first episode was a cultural reset
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2021 7:48 PM
Dec 2018
It is unique...

Well unique in the sense that it shows what happen if you take a virtual reality game and implemented real world risks. The .hack series use this theme but it failed to execute it well enough unlike SAO.

I just thought the MMORPG aspect was interesting because those are one of my favorite genre in video games.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Feb 23, 2021 7:54 PM
Sep 2019
I actually thought the 1st season was interesting...but after that the story got bland for me. It was the same old formula and the stakes were never really that high to begin with. You always knew who would win and that it was repeated every new arc and every new VR world the protagonist gets himself into.

The whole cliche tropes are overused too. It gets to the point where you know the writers just make the protagonist OP just b/c they can't scale back the power creep anymore...they started it up and in order for them to impress their fan base, they have to always one-up themselves to ridiculous proportions.
Feb 23, 2021 7:56 PM

Nov 2015
possibly because of its wasted potential, the execution was bad... and its gross rapey villain in s2.
Feb 23, 2021 7:57 PM
May 2020
SAO filled a market niche that had not been filled before (if you ignore .hack//sign). Its premise is very striking (note: not original (anime)) and the first episode makes it immediately apparent what that premise is. It also had a sense of atmosphere that captivated many. Around that time, as far as I know, there were not many shows that featured self insert characters.

It also had a special thematic appeal to many, being about escapism.
Feb 23, 2021 8:08 PM

Jan 2020
I mean a lot of people have watched it I think the popularity makes sense

Feb 23, 2021 8:10 PM

Apr 2017
ObserversAreFun said:
SAO filled a market niche that had not been filled before (if you ignore .hack//sign). Its premise is very striking (note: not original (anime)) and the first episode makes it immediately apparent what that premise is. It also had a sense of atmosphere that captivated many. Around that time, as far as I know, there were not many shows that featured self insert characters.

It also had a special thematic appeal to many, being about escapism.

Personally, I feel they should stop with the self-inserting and escapism/wish fulfillment. It's getting too much as of late. I would rather they tell a meaningful story instead of X dude dies and reincarnates into a Civ Virtual reality game. Or, dude Y randomly walks into a virtual reality dating sim with a lot of shock value. Or the more bland offenders, Dude Z just died&reincarnated into/walked into a fantasy land where god gives him all the girls, money and powers.

Even anime like Romeo x Juliet from 2007 is beating these kinds of stories in terms of storytelling quality and not only is this title old by now, it's not even 100% original. I suppose we can partially chalk it down to the power of Shakespeare as a legendary tier storytellfer whose legacy even snuck him into the Fate franchise, but even then...

As for .hack//sign, I believe it was carried by its novelty at the time it aired. We can argue it didn't feel as consequential since only one person is being affected by VR game consequences, but nonetheless, it had various merits to it and it at least wasn't just a harem with a dramatic start.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Feb 23, 2021 8:15 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I guess because SAO panders to gamers especially MMORPG online gamers, and the premise that the characters are trapped in an online game sounds really interesting at first, no matter how it would turn out in the end :)

Too bad out of like 50+ episodes so far only like 13 episodes really show about SAO itself, what a waste potential.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 23, 2021 8:20 PM

Jul 2012
A notable part of the reason it's so widespread is exactly because it's hated.

I mean you started a thread to point out how it was hated so assuming a person enters the forums and sees the thread having never seen it they will now want to see if it's bad or how bad it is and they'll watch it. As a result you've now personally continued to boost it's popularity because popularity is based on people who have it added on their list (if we're talking about list features) or you've continued to make people aware of the series.

Basically what I'm getting at is one reason it continues to be popular is because people are still making threads/videos/etc. about it 8 years after it first aired.
Feb 24, 2021 2:57 AM

Feb 2019
One of the biggest reasons is people like you who keep bringing it up.

As long as its name keeps getting thrown around, it'll always be popular simply because people know of its existence.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 24, 2021 3:03 AM

Jan 2021
the fact that you're talking about how it's popular shows that it's popular.
sao had a good concept, and kirito is basically a perfect self-insert for people who are new to the anime community.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 24, 2021 3:14 AM

Aug 2019
Because it is so hated, people watch it out of curiosity to see why
Feb 24, 2021 3:15 AM

May 2020
It's almost like people have different tastes or something
Feb 24, 2021 3:17 AM

Oct 2019
It appeals to a large audience and is pretty simple.
Feb 24, 2021 3:17 AM

Mar 2020
Its popular because the beginning is so ''shocking'' and because the show has an striking premise
Feb 24, 2021 3:30 AM

Jan 2018
It's popular because it's easy entertainment. Not a good story by any means but the hate it gets is definitely way over the top. The first 14 episodes are perfectly average
Feb 24, 2021 3:35 AM
Sep 2020
Popularized the the self-insertion. The protagonist is not credible in any sense, he is the perfect example of how not to write a good character. The play tries to create drama of situations that end up being bizarre because of this. all the characters become completely useless when they are close to the protagonist (especially women who had previously shown great capacities such as sinon and asuna). He does not know how to use narrative resources such as rape, villains are sad, there is no sense of danger due to the protagonist, tension is not felt at any time. something very necessary for the type of work it tries to be. I can go on and on ...
Feb 24, 2021 3:40 AM

May 2009
GoldenMonster said:
It's so hated in part because it's so popular.

Also, "quality" is kinda subjective.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 24, 2021 3:43 AM
Dec 2019
EyeViewer said:
This. The first time i got onto anime i REALLY liked SAO 'cause it was like one of the first 5 anime i watched and when i see someone on youtube saying that SAO is garbage i'd get really pissed off. But now as i watch more anime i kinda understand why it was shit, but not as bad as people say.
Feb 24, 2021 4:29 AM

Feb 2018
Because the "general public" has bad taste.

Feb 24, 2021 4:52 AM

Jun 2020
It's appealing to the gamers and normies
Feb 24, 2021 5:08 AM

May 2019
Something doesn't need to be good to be popular. Look at any MAL top 100 leaderboard for examples.
Feb 24, 2021 10:48 AM

Sep 2020
Why, what's wrong with sao being popular?
It's good so it's popular. You are hating on it just because the majority of the anime fanbase is hating it.

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
Feb 24, 2021 10:52 AM

Jan 2013
It has an interesting premise, a great soundtrack, good action scenes, really cute girls and a cool main character. It's pretty easy to see how a casual anime fan might get hooked on it. Also there's so many seasons, books and games you can watch/read/play so it's easy to stay engaged with the franchise or reengage every time a new thing comes out.
Feb 25, 2021 9:56 PM

Feb 2021
I can't say the same for the current SAO, but the first season (especially the first half) had a solid story and actually decent characters and interesting plot. I guess that's why it's so popular.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 26, 2021 5:42 AM
Sep 2020
I watched it because Virtual Reality was gaining popularity and this was a show about advanced VR. It was one of the first shows I watched so I didn't know what a bad anime was so I though it was the one of the best out there and even made me put thousands into Virtual Reality IRL. I can see why at the start of its life in the early episodes it was very popular but I have no idea why people still watched after the first season. I only watched past season 1 because my friend forced me to.
Feb 26, 2021 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
EyeViewer said:

I am not new to the community lol. I've been watching anime since the 90s...and no, I do not think SAO is a bad series at all...aside from the Fairy Dance arc.

Feb 26, 2021 1:04 PM

Mar 2018
Some people prioritize an interesting premise over a unique story. I'm not gonna deny SAO's flaws, but it's rather entertaining to watch people kick ass in a virtual video game. I can turn my brain off and just have fun watching stuff unfold without trying to analyze every writing aspect.

GoldenMonster said:

It's so popular and well-known, so it attracts lots of hate too. Haters are often the loudest online. It's a very loud minority.
RossoYorozuyaFeb 26, 2021 1:18 PM

"~and he loved to play the piano!"

Feb 26, 2021 1:10 PM

Feb 2017
The show is so good people who hate it just hate it because they think they are cool and they want to fit in when really everyone loves Kirito and asuna 10/10
Feb 26, 2021 1:14 PM

May 2018
Is it? Isn't it almost forgotten by now?

Feb 26, 2021 1:15 PM

Sep 2014
Chiibi said:
EyeViewer said:

I am not new to the community lol. I've been watching anime since the 90s...and no, I do not think SAO is a bad series at all...aside from the Fairy Dance arc.

The ironic thing is that it's generally those who are new to anime who bash the most on SAO.
Feb 26, 2021 1:16 PM

Feb 2015
And I still wonder the fact to why a best friend of mine, 6 years ago, recommended me to watch SAO over Sailor Moon.
Feb 26, 2021 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
Kirito is an edge lord with a harem so it's no brauner that it would attract teenagers, which is probably the majority of anime watchers.
Feb 26, 2021 1:22 PM

Jan 2021
Hrybami said:
Chiibi said:

The ironic thing is that it's generally those who are new to anime who bash the most on SAO.

really? when i was new to anime i loved sao. only when i rewatched it 2 years later did i realise it wasn't as good as i remembered.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 26, 2021 1:23 PM

Apr 2020
Because a lot of people like it? It's similar to Fairy Tail, huge fanbase but also a huge amount of haters. It's both popular to like it and popular to hate it.

The important part is that they'll never be considered true classics, too many people (and rightfully so) find them quite trash.
Feb 26, 2021 1:25 PM

Sep 2018
1.SAO fans are vocal
2. Most anime fans are gamers
3. Shounen
4. Power fantasy
5. Waifus
I think it is ok to good depending on the arc.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Isn't L's Full Name being on display on the front page of MAL massive spoiler?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

3 by NightVampire »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9127 by anime-prime »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 3 )

arinthach - Apr 18

112 by mshfqtny »»
12 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - May 24

66 by Zharux11 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » You will die if you lose, choose the competition.

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

26 by LoveYourSmile »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.