Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2020 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, more main cast introduced and one of them is Kyouichi.

Not a bad episode but feels strangely paced. Seems there's still trouble on the streets with those masked thugs. At least their plan didn't go the way they wanted. I liked the first episode better but this one has more action.
Oct 13, 2020 6:58 AM
Jan 2020
I agree with you. This episode was pretty interesting considering we got some new characters , makes the show even better. Until now I'm enjoying it.
Oct 13, 2020 7:03 AM
Oct 2016
So both the groups in Ikebukuro are gonna work together. For now at least. Interesting episode dealing with a very topical issue in today's world. Shady companies treating their employees like shit. Its a bad problem here stateside but a even worse one in Japan itself. Idk if there's literal groups of people working for these companies beating up the disgruntled employees like in the show here but there's some bad things that go on in the work culture in Japan. Glad that the two groups, G Boys and Red Angels could work together to fix this problem with that curry business chain. Scumy executives hold staged press conferences couldn't even save the business from bad press once Makoto busted it wide open with Masuru. The attempted suicide scene was nuts. Glad the cops could catch that dude before he splattered. Him being a part of the Red Angels did surprise me tbh. Glad they all worked things out and maybe now with Makoto and Isogai acting as middle men the leaders Takeshi and Kyouichi can get along. For the time being that is. Maybe that residual tension will bubble up sooner or later.
Oct 13, 2020 7:03 AM

Apr 2019
Liked this episode, finally got to see a street brawl

Oct 13, 2020 7:05 AM

Apr 2019
Dukino said:
So both the groups in Ikebukuro are gonna work together. For now at least. Interesting episode dealing with a very topical issue in today's world. Shady companies treating their employees like shit. Its a bad problem here stateside but a even worse one in Japan itself. Idk if there's literal groups of people working for these companies beating up the disgruntled employees like in the show here but there's some bad things that go on in the work culture in Japan. Glad that the two groups, G Boys and Red Angels could work together to fix this problem with that curry business chain. Scumy executives hold staged press conferences couldn't even save the business from bad press once Makoto busted it wide open with Masuru. The attempted suicide scene was nuts. Glad the cops could catch that dude before he splattered. Him being a part of the Red Angels did surprise me tbh. Glad they all worked things out and maybe now with Makoto and Isogai acting as middle men the leaders Takeshi and Kyouichi can get along. For the time being that is. Maybe that residual tension will bubble up sooner or later.
Yeah, for now their relations are good. If their relationship slowly gets worse and worse and we finally get to see a gang v gang war at the end that would be cool.

Oct 13, 2020 7:07 AM
Oct 2016
9000 said:
Dukino said:
. Glad they all worked things out and maybe now with Makoto and Isogai acting as middle men the leaders Takeshi and Kyouichi can get along. For the time being that is. Maybe that residual tension will bubble up sooner or later.
Yeah, for now their relations are good. If their relationship slowly gets worse and worse and we finally get to see a gang v gang war at the end that would be cool.

I think I remember seeing in the preview trailers that King and Kyouichi fight so they should come to blows before this is over. But maybe that was just for the opening song idk.
Oct 13, 2020 7:09 AM

Sep 2019
Isogai was looking at Makoto with binoculars at the end of the last episode. He probably has some connection with the drugs. He acted friendly with Makoto, but he has some other intentions. Can’t wait to see his real personality.
Oct 13, 2020 7:38 AM
Sep 2015
Here's why this episode is better than the last one
Last episode female count: 1
This episode female count: 0
It's stepping into the right direction
No death yet, I love how peaceful this anime is, I hope no one die throughout the whole season.
Oh! And the new gang leader has tattoo around his navel, in R18 industry it usually mean impregnationable.
Oct 13, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2018
I really (!) enjoy this show. But this season is very strong overall imo

►"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." ◄
►"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."◄
►"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"◄
Oct 13, 2020 8:02 AM

Aug 2013
So the two gangs, G-Boys and Red Angels, are living in peace from now. It would be interesting to see how things will go from here. Judging from the OP, there might be a war.

Oct 13, 2020 8:13 AM
May 2020
gotta loved that gangster op and endings, seems like they've been pacing things up a little bit(definitely should make adjustments at that since there are times that are odd). The art style reminds me of yesterday wo uttate which is pretty good though.
overall iwgp is running smooth and a must watch show for me:>
Oct 13, 2020 8:34 AM

Mar 2020
Now that two main characters have been introduced I'm hoping the story will start to get going.

Nothing to great happened in this episode however it seems to have started some disputes between the G Boys and the red angels since there going to try to coexist. The animation when Kyouichi was dancing was really well done.

Good episode :)
Oct 13, 2020 8:51 AM
Aug 2019
We get introduced to a new gang in Ikebukuro called red angels and their leader Kyouichi he's a dancer. We also get introduced to the red angel's archangel, Isogai. For now G-boys and Red angels working together there seems to be a bit of tension. I have a feeling Red angels are hiding something and I feel they are not to be trusted just yet.
I hope there will an overarching story and not stick to the episodic stories. I hope the drug story from last week will come up again in the future episode since they stated that it's not over yet and in the last episode someone was using binoculars to watch our mc Makoto.
The story in this episode that OK group making up rumors to make the two gangs suspect each other when they were sending people after their employees.
This episode was enjoyable, that ED looks nice.

Oct 13, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2020
This episode is better, we got more characters to look forward to. Looks like a gang-war is coming soon, based off the tension (and the op spoiling)
Oct 13, 2020 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
not gonna lie.. a pretty enjoyable ep..
especially one of those rivalries that ya know will be interesting.. as of now.. i kinda find the MC personality to be somewhat bland.. even tho i know its not.. but maybe.. a bit of monologuing *might* help..
all in all.. 4/5.. i'll surely see this anime to the end..
Oct 13, 2020 11:26 AM

May 2015
Well, ok, it was better than the first episode. It got interesting after the groups joined together and it didn't turn out a basic confrontation between them.
Oct 13, 2020 11:27 AM

Mar 2018
It feels like they expect you to know who these characters are beforehand because of the extremely poor job at establishing them. Gives more focus on delivering exposition than anything else which usually ends in disaster. I don't see this ending up any different.
Oct 13, 2020 12:14 PM

Nov 2016
This keeps giving me Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens vibes and it's watchable so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 13, 2020 1:03 PM
Apr 2019
I realised the ED is quite nice..
Oct 13, 2020 1:14 PM
Nov 2015
I am getting Gangsta vibes. You know everything is peaceful and okay until a certain entity comes in and causes chaos this leading to an ultimate showdown
Oct 13, 2020 1:44 PM
Dec 2014
i've found this ep to be more interesting than the first since it introduced a new group with a really interesting concept and focused more on the internal dynamics of the gangs, thus giving some insight into what they actually do. i'm sort of displeased with the pacing though, i feel like it's suffering due to the episodic format which doesn't let the main plotline shine more decisively. still, really curious as to how they're going to unravel everything! also, i'm seriously in love with both the op and the ed.
Oct 13, 2020 2:29 PM
Jul 2019
Ok, so after them G-Boys, it's now them Red Angels, so what new gang will be out next???
Oct 13, 2020 3:11 PM

Sep 2017
Imagine killing yourself because your manager at McDonalds is a dick lmao. Another gang just kinda shows up because some dude who can dance better than the average idiot had fiery hair and sick abs I guess? Idk something about this episode felt very off. Last ep was anime original (at least I think I read that somewhere), so this is supposed to "episode 1" as far as the novel is concerned.

Imagine if this was episode one. Like woah, let's establish team blue for a second before flaming hot shows up; or you know, just have them both exist as if it were natural from the start. Was the beginning of the novel seriously like "one day, a fiery boi showed up and the sales of red hoodies rose by 500%."
Oct 13, 2020 3:55 PM

Apr 2015
So two groups of gangs in Ikebukuro, this can make for a nice rivalry. My senses say that Ikebukuro is a dangerous place, seriously waiting for the events of the synopsis to happen, that might spice stuff up real good.

FMmatron said:
This keeps giving me Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens vibes and it's watchable so far.

I was waiting for someone to make this comparison as well, I was getting the same kind of vibes. IWGP isn't as good yet, but hopefully it will develop into a good story in the next few weeks.
Oct 13, 2020 3:58 PM

Nov 2015
This was... kinda strange...

The episode had a good plot, but the pacing seems... off. I don't know how to explain how bothered by it i was, but... that's not a good thing when it comes to seasonal anime.

First episode made me give a 8/10, but this one dropped the score to a 6/10. Let's see how it goes.
Oct 13, 2020 5:18 PM

Mar 2010
So weird that a gang started with some guy dancing lol.

I am confused on why the King is not a main character when he has showed up more then the red guy. This was way better then the first episode with the introduction of that Mob child character that showed up once over the red angel leader. Team G-Boys for the win lol. King seems like a brawler while the red guy is pretty nimble with all the dodging. I'm more curious on how this series will go now.
Oct 13, 2020 6:29 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Still not completely sold but it definitely was a better episode than the first one.
Oct 13, 2020 6:53 PM

Jul 2020
This was by far a better episode than the first episode, even though the exposition for this one wasn't adequate. However, I am going to give this at least 2 more episodes to see if I like it...
Oct 13, 2020 7:01 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Hah, Ikebukuro had another gang that might became their future rival on these show. The introduction of their leader kinda cringe with all of those dance parts. It seemed he had some kind of Capoeira martial arts style on him, judge by the opening sequences that looks so, hype too. The second episode in, they still used the same episodic problem solved style like the previous one together with the introduction parts of the Red Angels. The way of using a traditional problem like the rotten company like that was fine. Its might related with the real life situations, tho, and the thrilling situations directed in a good way. However, i found the plot into the problem solving part kinda underwhelming. Its kinda too simple and the way they always finishing the whole hype with their 'connections' mostly ended up dissapointed me too. At the end, its still became no big deal at all. So, yeah, i really hope the life problems of them became more complex, together with another kind of drama that would coloring their gangs life, for once and forever. Like, maybe, some kind of betrayal? It would be so good to the storyline. So lets see the next, then.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 13, 2020 7:28 PM
Oct 2019
I guess Kyouichi can murder my vagina
Oct 13, 2020 7:52 PM

Jul 2017
Guessing the red haired dude is gonna be the main "villain" judging by the OP, but was nice to see all of them working together/the mutual respect between the 2

but if this series is gonna be a more episodic format, then does that mean that 12yr old girl is gonna only appear every so often then? Why is this tagged as romance in the first place lul
Oct 13, 2020 7:54 PM

Feb 2020
Why Kyouichi is a Main Character but King isn't??????????

I am liking this Anime so Far.....it has good pacing.........
But I would love to see some crimes on a bigger scale......

Oct 13, 2020 8:47 PM

Sep 2019
Just a meh episode imo. The food company story wasn't that appealing, and we still know nothing about character's motivations and backstories. I hope they are still just introducing the basic plot to us, because if this is the level of content we are going to get from now on then i will drop
Oct 13, 2020 9:40 PM

Oct 2016
Good episode, steps to becoming a gangleader: be a flexible ass dancer lmao. So far, it's an ok show hopefully plot starts to pick up.
Oct 13, 2020 9:44 PM

Feb 2015
How the heck does a food company uses military police to train the employs. What is G-Boys and Red Angels role in society. The episodes are being too simple. To be beaten, Masaru healed pretty fast.
Oct 13, 2020 9:55 PM

Jun 2019
Well, this looks like it will be the worst of the anime I am watching this season. The art is probably the worst of the new anime I am watching. It looks like a “problem of the week” anime where everything is solved neatly at the end of the episode. Involves gangs, but doesn’t look like it will have any grittiness or emotional stakes. The characters don’t have much emotional depth so far. But at least it has some decent fight scenes sprinkled in here and there. I hope it shows more promise by the next episode or I will probably drop it.
Oct 13, 2020 10:04 PM

Apr 2020
i preferred this episode although it felt super rushed. the pieces have been put in place for what COULD become an interesting story
Oct 13, 2020 11:34 PM

Jan 2018
liked this episode more than the first one
Oct 14, 2020 1:02 AM

Jun 2020
Why are people already rating and picking on this anime after 2 episodes? I give everything at least 3 episodes to catch my attention, and Ikebukuro West Gate Park sure as hell has done that, but then again, I AM a complete sucker for gang and street anime... it just has that vibe, yknow?

The art and animation are good, and the characters are all very interesting - even more now that we got introduced to another group. We don’t exactly know them yet since we are only 2 episodes in, but I have high hopes. In a way, this show reminds me of Banana Fish... maybe it’s the drugs and the gang members, but I’m just glad I won’t have to go through the emotional turmoil that Banana Fish put me through on their part. I haven’t read the manga or watched the movie for Ikebukuro West Gate Park... so I’m just hoping that this show doesn’t have it’s own Dino Golzine.

Like they said in the first episode, there’s something bigger going on that they haven’t mingled with yet. If they drop that plot, then I don’t really... know what’s supposed to happen in the show? LOL. So everyone talking about how the plot hasn’t picked up yet, I believe that this episode was just a filler to introduce the other gang, and also explore more on how the gangs operate as well. And so, the “something bigger” plot will pick up in the following episodes.

All in all, a promising show for this season (and I’m watching 29 of them this Fall season, and whoever the person was that said this had the worst animation this season is... telling a lie). Hoping they do it justice, since I was sort of thinking it would be 24 episodes. Oh well!

(Also wondering if this anime is going to be a romance like the original? There’s not really any female characters in the OP or ED, and not in the cast list for the seiyū’s either. If they introduce a romantic interest later on, I feel like it would throw off the actual plot and make it like Fugou Keiji, where they introduce the actual plot to the show halfway through, and then it just ends up ruining it).
JellyfOct 14, 2020 1:11 AM
Oct 14, 2020 1:17 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I'm liking this so far. I agree it's nothing special, but I'm interested in the characters, especially Makoto. Especially how the ED focuses on him, I feel like there's a lot more to him.

I agree with the Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens comments, this definitely reminds me of that series.

Kyouichi's dance at the beginning was a nice surprise! Coupled with Polovtsian Dances, to put the cherry on top! He seems like a nice guy, like Takashi, but it does seem like they might clash :( I sure hope not, or that if it happens, it will be resolved quickly.
Oct 14, 2020 2:12 AM

Jun 2014
So these 2 gangs are coexisting for now, but I'm sure as the show progresses there will be some kind of fallout leading to conflict.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 14, 2020 2:16 AM

May 2018
Better than the first episode. I guess it will devolve into either gang rivalry or straight out gang war between blue and red in the coming episodes
Oct 14, 2020 3:39 AM

Aug 2017
Liked this, but I guess I will decide next episode whether it will stay on my watch list, because so many series are already on my watch list for this season (can't remember the last time I had that many shows to watch in a season) and I'm already quite busy. For now it is pretty enjoyable but I still have some doubts about it.
Oct 14, 2020 3:45 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode. This was better than the first one. Still episodic. But with the other gang and their leader introduced ... and both gangs working together ... this episode was better than the previous one where we had the girl that probably isn't going to appear anymore.

Now I guess they will later bring some deeper plot with the drug companies in the background.

Reminded a bit of K with those gangs (clans) and ther leaders (kings). Red guy like Mikoto red haired guy from K lol. On the other hand Durara-like a bit.
Oct 14, 2020 7:09 AM

Jun 2013
Mom can we watch K?
Mom: We have K at home.
K at home: IWGP.
Oct 14, 2020 7:38 AM

Dec 2016
This is the episode I was waiting for. In the trailer they showed Kyouichi's feet, it looked so elegant and pretty, that's the whole reason why I'm watching this ≧∇≦

When Andou took off his coat and started fighting that was cool.

Anyway, in the synopsis it's written that Makoto's gf was killed or something I don't see any sign of that in the story yet...
Rickydory123Oct 14, 2020 7:49 AM
Oct 14, 2020 8:02 AM

Oct 2017
This is why this anime felt a bit familiar to me, this gives off a vibe similar to some action manwhas like Weak Hero, Lookism.

Red angels eh, they seem like a nice bunch too. Thou that archangel guy might be a spy or something.
Oct 14, 2020 11:57 AM

May 2012
Very boring. I felt like going to sleep while watching this anime

Dropped
Oct 14, 2020 1:14 PM

Mar 2017
I thought things were about to get interesting with the two gangs realising that neither of them were the cause of the OK Holdings issue and work together to find out who it actually was... but no, it all got wrapped up real easy by the end just like in the 1st ep.

I hope thing gets going soon cause I was really looking forward to this anime
Oct 14, 2020 1:17 PM

Sep 2018
The Gay Boys are back at it again, a bit more boring than the first episode too. These mini crimes and their resolutions aren't the most enticing mini stories I've ever seen, that's for sure.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are the ratings so low?

st3pn - Oct 23, 2020

14 by TomokiNakagawa »»
Jun 9, 2:18 PM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ringare - Dec 22, 2020

77 by GTPROX01 »»
Oct 12, 2023 4:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.