Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think you have more "illegal" opinions or more unpopular opinions?

New
Nov 19, 2019 5:49 AM

Jul 2016
Illegal opinion being you support something that's illegal.
Unpopular being you support something that's legal, but people will still have a problem with it.

I would say that I have more unpopular opinions, by a 3:2 ratio?

For example, I keep private notes on everyone.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 19, 2019 6:37 AM

Jun 2016
I say we ban lolis, it's for a greater good.
Nov 19, 2019 7:29 AM
we back

Aug 2015
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people are gonna have more unpopular opinions then they do illegal opinions.
Nov 19, 2019 7:33 AM

Oct 2010
If someone has a lot of illegal opinions...yikes.
Nov 19, 2019 7:43 AM

Jul 2016
Usagi said:

That includes benign things like it's okay to pirate if you want something immediately, and supporting prostitution if it's outlawed.
Nov 19, 2019 8:18 AM

Feb 2018
Basically my country laws are not complied with and what remains is morality. So, much more illegal than unpopular.

Although I don't know where the lolis are, they are neither illegal nor unpopular, I'm confused.
Nov 19, 2019 9:06 AM

May 2013
My illegal opinion is all drugs should be decriminalized. If I want some shrooms then I’ll have some.

My unpopular opinion is that it’s okay to be a slut.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 19, 2019 9:19 AM

Oct 2015
Where I live it's a crime to insult national and religious values. Which includes saying Armenian Genocide happened, calling the president bad things, publicly expressing someone was wrongfully imprisoned, telling that military draft is a human rights violation among many others. There are many opinions which are criminalised.
Nov 19, 2019 9:24 AM

Jun 2014
Orhunaa said:
Where I live it's a crime to insult national and religious values. Which includes saying Armenian Genocide happened, calling the president bad things, publicly expressing someone was wrongfully imprisoned, telling that military draft is a human rights violation among many others. There are many opinions which are criminalised.

Have you ever considered moving to Canada?

Nov 19, 2019 9:36 AM

Oct 2015
Seiya said:
Orhunaa said:

Yeah, I have. It sounds like US but nicer and safer. It'll be one of the countries at the top of my list in master's degree foreign programs when I'm done with my bachelor's.

You know what's funny? My nationalist uncle fucking hates me for planning to live abroad saying that the country won't improve if the bright minds go away.
Nov 19, 2019 9:38 AM

Jun 2014
Orhunaa said:
Seiya said:

Yeah, I have. It sounds like US but nicer and safer. It'll be one of the countries at the top of my list in master's degree foreign programs when I'm done with my bachelor's.

You know what's funny? My nationalist uncle fucking hates me for planning to live abroad saying that the country won't improve if the bright minds go away.

Lol, I see.

Be sure to visit me if you come to Canada. ;)

Nov 19, 2019 9:41 AM

May 2016
I want prostitution and drugs decriminalised for adult so...

Also, how "unpopular" is UBI?

Oh, and abolish gender!
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 19, 2019 3:42 PM

Mar 2008
I see no point in giving distinction and ratio. Of course I have both as most people do.

Usagi said:

Not necessarily. Laws are pretty arbitrary and vary widely.
Nov 19, 2019 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Alpha_Tranny said:
My illegal opinion is all drugs should be decriminalized. If I want some shrooms then I’ll have some.

I see you are indeed a true fan of Angel Dust as that would also be his opinions.

removed-userNov 19, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 19, 2019 4:35 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I think that the age of consent shouldn't exist, same for anti-incest laws.

On the other hand I'm quite conservative when it comes to anti-drug laws even though I've seen plenty of reasonable arguments against them.

Nov 19, 2019 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
It's pretty much guaranteed everyone here has at least one illegal opinion which is approving of illegal downloading and streaming. Hell that's not even some minor infraction. Depending on where you live in the US or europe, that shit is prison time and/or a large fine.

The thing is that shit is totally for convenience and no one got a problem with it. But people who steal or slang to survive are condemned by the same people.

And I do the same shit but I have self awareness and am not a hypocrite.

I extend my hand to any groups struggling even if I don't get that same love back. Even now.
Nov 19, 2019 5:00 PM

Mar 2019
Impossible to innumerate. That having been said, I think many things that are currently illegal should be legal, and in reverse.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 19, 2019 5:03 PM

Feb 2019
Illegal or unpopular opinions by dutch standards? Aside from being in favor of pirating copyrighted content, I'm as run of the mill as one can be.
Nov 19, 2019 5:21 PM

May 2013
Peaceful_Critic said:
Alpha_Tranny said:

I see you are indeed a true fan of Angel Dust as that would also be his opinions.

There’s a reason when that came out all my irl friends came up with a new nickname for me. I kinda rolled with it and here we are now.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 19, 2019 7:19 PM

Mar 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Illegal or unpopular opinions by dutch standards? Aside from being in favor of pirating copyrighted content, I'm as run of the mill as one can be.
But that is legal in the Netherlands, though the E.U. says it isn't and ordered the Netherlands to comply; international politics, as always, is not that simple.

The Netherlands has not changed the law and never really formally replied to the E.U. and is still continuing their old practices of considering it as a personal copy.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 19, 2019 7:26 PM

Dec 2008
I download most of the anime I watch. Got a problem with that, asswipe? I don't give a shit. I live in a state that legalized recreational pot a few years ago, I don't give a flying fuck if you smoke, vape or stick that shit up your asshole but don't go blowing pot smoke in my face, fucktard.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Nov 20, 2019 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know what the comparison of the number of illegal vs unpopular opinions tells us. I'm curious as to why you want to know, OP. One person might have, say, 15 illegal opinions and a 100 unpopular ones, while another might have 2 illegal opinions and 10 unpopular ones. Unpopular wins in both cases but does it tell us anything except that there are many more social norms than laws?
Nov 20, 2019 3:56 AM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
Kosmonaut said:
But that is legal in the Netherlands, though the E.U. says it isn't and ordered the Netherlands to comply; international politics, as always, is not that simple.

The Netherlands has not changed the law and never really formally replied to the E.U. and is still continuing their old practices of considering it as a personal copy.
Well, technically it's illegal even for personal use, but no one prosecutes individuals for it, rarely even big sites, however we're part of the EU, so it's one huge illegal opinion the Netherlands have.
Nov 20, 2019 5:30 AM

Mar 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Sphinxter said:

Well, technically it's illegal even for personal use, but no one prosecutes individuals for it, rarely even big sites, however we're part of the EU, so it's one huge illegal opinion the Netherlands have.
International agreements mean very little; the Netherlands is also part of the I.C.C.P.R. which forbids retrial for præviously acquitted crimes, and yet that's exactly what happens in the Netherlands; there's really no two ways about it or "interpretation"; the Netherlands signed that convention which explicitly forbids it; and years after signing it the Netherlands just went on doing it without withdrawing and no one makes a fuzz.

That's the reality of international agreements, laws, constitutions, human rights, et cetera: they're made from the very same paper a man wipes his butt with; they've never meant much.

"technically" a lot o things are illegal that aren't, and a lot of things aren't that are.

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 20, 2019 5:35 AM

Oct 2019
i think i have a lot more unpopular opinions, but i guess some could border on illegal?

like, get me a cute yandere dude, let him stalk me idc i'll take it

yo and i kinda dig the teacher-student relationship lmao
Nov 20, 2019 6:27 AM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
You think it's cool to have sex with 9 year olds? How could you possibly justify that? I need an explanation
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Nov 20, 2019 7:54 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
149597871 said:
You think it's cool to have sex with 9 year olds? How could you possibly justify that? I need an explanation

It's just illogical to use the same standard for everyone since not everyone hits puberty at the exact same age. Taking into account their current mental state and level of maturity is also very important. In contrast whether the person is 211 months old or 216 months old doesn't really matter that much.

Plus the age of consent is usually somewhere between 16-18 which in most cases is ridiculously high to begin with as the vast majority of people around that age are probably ready both physically and mentally to have sex and to be honest many of them probably have had at least a few sexual experiences by the time they reach that age.

As for your question, with maybe a few extraordinary exceptions I think it would be rather disturbing. It is just that if it's going to be illegal it should be illegal because of the aforesaid reasons in my first paragraph rather than simply because of the fact that they haven't reached a certain age yet.

Nov 20, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

It's just illogical to use the same standard for everyone since not everyone hits puberty at the exact same age. Taking into account their current mental state and level of maturity is also very important. In contrast whether the person is 211 months old or 216 months old doesn't really matter that much.

Plus the age of consent is usually somewhere between 16-18 which in most cases is ridiculously high to begin with as the vast majority of people around that age are probably ready both physically and mentally to have sex and to be honest many of them probably have had at least a few sexual experiences by the time they reach that age.

As for your question, with maybe a few extraordinary exceptions I think it would be rather disturbing. It is just that if it's going to be illegal it should be illegal because of the aforesaid reasons in my first paragraph rather than simply because of the fact that they haven't reached a certain age yet.

if you want to move from a hard line to a system of a million individual judgments, prepare for a lot of people getting hurt.
I'm not saying that there aren't 13 year olds that are more mature and ready for sex than some 16 year olds, but the age of consent exists to protect the 13 year olds that AREN'T ready. It's a hard line for that very reason, if you erase the line you're opening the door for thousands of creeps that will now have a much easier time getting away with fucking children that are decidedly not ready.
When thinking about laws, you also have to consider practicality and purpose. The age of consent wasn't made to allow everyone who is ready to have sex, that is not the purpose. The purpose is to protect people that aren't ready. For that, you need as hard of a line as possible, even if it means that a few outliers who could already have sex are caught up in it. You certainly won't suggest that a couple mature 13 year olds having sex legally is worth hundreds of immature 13 year olds being abused?

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Nov 20, 2019 9:30 AM

Aug 2012
Orhunaa said:
I'd consider that a compliment if anything. Either way, he is correct in a nationalist view.
Nov 20, 2019 3:11 PM

Oct 2015
Yarub said:
Orhunaa said:
I'd consider that a compliment if anything. Either way, he is correct in a nationalist view.

He isn't inconsistent, sure. But he's still an ass for not accepting that it matters not whether one contributes to the lives of say, Canadian people or Turkish people. He's adamant on the idea that in a given chance to improve someone's lives, one ought to favour their countrymen first and foremost, which I don't agree for obvious reasons. I'll help for the betterment of the people on a human basis, taking into account my own desired standards of living. If they're met, sure, by all means but if not, don't expect me to comply with that.
Nov 20, 2019 3:49 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
149597871 said:

if you want to move from a hard line to a system of a million individual judgments, prepare for a lot of people getting hurt.
I'm not saying that there aren't 13 year olds that are more mature and ready for sex than some 16 year olds, but the age of consent exists to protect the 13 year olds that AREN'T ready. It's a hard line for that very reason, if you erase the line you're opening the door for thousands of creeps that will now have a much easier time getting away with fucking children that are decidedly not ready.
When thinking about laws, you also have to consider practicality and purpose. The age of consent wasn't made to allow everyone who is ready to have sex, that is not the purpose. The purpose is to protect people that aren't ready. For that, you need as hard of a line as possible, even if it means that a few outliers who could already have sex are caught up in it. You certainly won't suggest that a couple mature 13 year olds having sex legally is worth hundreds of immature 13 year olds being abused?

It's not really that hard. If a couple or a person at a "questionable" age wants to engage in a sexual relationship let them consult with an expert/psychologist, explaining the situation. If they conclude that there isn't anything malicious and the person is indeed physically and mentally ready to have sex then I don't see a problem. A short sex ed on pregnancy, STD risks, etc. would also be helpful.
Nov 20, 2019 10:35 PM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

It's not really that hard. If a couple or a person at a "questionable" age wants to engage in a sexual relationship let them consult with an expert/psychologist, explaining the situation. If they conclude that there isn't anything malicious and the person is indeed physically and mentally ready to have sex then I don't see a problem. A short sex ed on pregnancy, STD risks, etc. would also be helpful.
not really how it will shake out when a grimy adult is pushing themselves onto a very young child, saying "what, you know it's legal or are you saying that you aren't mature? I know a psychologist, they'd definitely agree with me now shut up and spread your legs you slut."
What you're doing is adding more uncertainty to these situations and stripping away one very needed layer of protection. And you know that there'd be misrulings as well, right?

I really don't know what's going through your head, this is a really fucking bad idea. Stop and think for a second about how a system like this can be abused to further the exploitation of children. The possibilities are endless.

Nov 20, 2019 11:41 PM

Jun 2019
I support a lot of policies which are not currently in effect in the political system governing the country in which I reside or any other country, so maybe a lot of these would be some blasphemous ideological offense? Like supporting a form of national-social regulatory body to oversee a mixed economy (quasi-state, quasi-private - a corporatist hybrid) and impose rigorous price controls as well as abolition of political parties and the like. I fundamentally disagree and have for many years with the basic tenets of liberal-capitalism, English common law, and therefore by extension, liberal democracy as a whole.

Most people are indoctrinated in some way or another, so much so that their own indoctrination is invisible to them. I imagine there's probably a bullet point list running into the hundreds I could theoretically construct about the numerous things I disagree with within society which many others take for granted as "common sense" - be they actually enforced on-paper laws and statutes or just self-reinforcing social customs which should have been questioned on a collective level many generations ago.

If I had to put numbers on them, I'd say there are more that would be unpopular than outright illegal, since there aren't enough laws existing on the books to compete with the amount of random things I have an opinion on.

One big one, part social taboo, part legal issue depending on jurisdiction, is support for the total abolition of of laws concerning familial sexual relations (incest demonization) including and especially the laws in a number of states restricting cousin marriages.

HungryForQuality said:
It's pretty much guaranteed everyone here has at least one illegal opinion which is approving of illegal downloading and streaming. Hell that's not even some minor infraction. Depending on where you live in the US or europe, that shit is prison time and/or a large fine.

The thing is that shit is totally for convenience and no one got a problem with it. But people who steal or slang to survive are condemned by the same people.

And I do the same shit but I have self awareness and am not a hypocrite.

I extend my hand to any groups struggling even if I don't get that same love back. Even now.

It's probably because the psyche of a lot of folks is still primitive around such an issue in that what isn't physical and can't be held in your hands isn't as tangible to them. What's digital isn't physical. Hence it isn't "real".
WatchTillTandavaNov 20, 2019 11:45 PM
Nov 21, 2019 12:22 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
149597871 said:

not really how it will shake out when a grimy adult is pushing themselves onto a very young child, saying "what, you know it's legal or are you saying that you aren't mature? I know a psychologist, they'd definitely agree with me now shut up and spread your legs you slut."
What you're doing is adding more uncertainty to these situations and stripping away one very needed layer of protection. And you know that there'd be misrulings as well, right?

I really don't know what's going through your head, this is a really fucking bad idea. Stop and think for a second about how a system like this can be abused to further the exploitation of children. The possibilities are endless.

What you are describing is a classic rape. There isn't any consent in the aforesaid scenario to begin with and it would be illegal even according to the system that I proposed, therefore it is not really abusing it in any way or whatsoever.

As for how perfect the system is - it probably isn't perfect but if applied correctly it can be considerably safe if not even safer than what we currently have.
Nov 21, 2019 12:36 AM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

What you are describing is a classic rape. There isn't any consent in the aforesaid scenario to begin with and it would be illegal even according to the system that I proposed, therefore it is not really abusing it in any way or whatsoever.

As for how perfect the system is - it probably isn't perfect but if applied correctly it can be considerably safe if not even safer than what we currently have.
Yes it's rape, that's the point. The system we have right now errs on the side of the potential rape victim, the system you want to establish doesn't. I know it would still be illegal, what I'm saying is that it'd be harder to prosecute and would therefore happen more frequently, because you removed the certainty of the hard line from the system. Sexual predators would use the law itself to coerce children into having sex with them. Do you understand?

Do you understand what I'm saying? :((

Not sure in what world you're living where having it sometimes be legal to fuck 12 year olds protects 12 year olds more than it being illegal across the board, but damn. Please explain? How would it be safer than what we currently have?

Nov 21, 2019 1:46 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
149597871 said:

Yes it's rape, that's the point. The system we have right now errs on the side of the potential rape victim, the system you want to establish doesn't. I know it would still be illegal, what I'm saying is that it'd be harder to prosecute and would therefore happen more frequently, because you removed the certainty of the hard line from the system. Sexual predators would use the law itself to coerce children into having sex with them. Do you understand?

Not sure in what world you're living where having it sometimes be legal to fuck 12 year olds protects 12 year olds more than it being illegal across the board, but damn. Please explain? How would it be safer than what we currently have?

I don't know why do you think it would be that harder to prosecute. "you are required to have both X and Y in order to do Z but you've still done Z without having neither of those".

It better protects people who are above the age of consent plus it's not ruining potential couples and people's lives in cases where both parties gave their consent and were ready to engage in a relationship. The current system is a complete mess and treats rape and consensual sex almost the same as long as one person is above the age of consent and the other is not.
Nov 21, 2019 1:52 AM

Oct 2008
Erg_Orgy said:
I say we ban lolis, it's for a greater good.

What do you mean? Lolis are the national treasures! We can't ban them! We gotta worship them and protect them from Pedobear and his 7chan pedopals!
Nov 21, 2019 2:51 AM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

I don't know why do you think it would be that harder to prosecute.
Because theres now a legal defense for fucking a child? Because sexual predators can intimidate and coerce their victims by making this clear? Before right now if there's evidence of them having sex you could go to the police and there'd be nothing left for the predator, but with your system you have to drag the child through psychological testing and have it judged on a case by case basis, where the outcome might favour the predator? You are clearly just ignoring this potentiality, even though I spelled it out for you multiple times. At this point, I do have to ask myself why that is..

Is this just an insane blind spot that you have because you really want to have sex with a "mature" 13 year old and frantically try to think of a system where you can live that fantasy out legally? Maybe you just can't wrap your head around the concept of Bright-line rules and how they help to sidestep grey areas to protect a group of people that desperately needs said protection? Maybe there's a different explanation for why you're so willingly ignoring the openings that a system like that leaves?

Nov 21, 2019 3:20 AM

Feb 2019
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

I don't know why do you think it would be that harder to prosecute. "you are required to have both X and Y in order to do Z but you've still done Z without having neither of those".

It better protects people who are above the age of consent plus it's not ruining potential couples and people's lives in cases where both parties gave their consent and were ready to engage in a relationship. The current system is a complete mess and treats rape and consensual sex almost the same as long as one person is above the age of consent and the other is not.
The system you propose wouldn't work for a number of reasons, but, if we look at it from a purely legal scope, it's totally impractical. A system that functions the way you described generates so much legal insecurity it would be a bet on everyone's part if it's illegal or not what they are currently doing. Every law should give the citizens a good legal security, this meaning it must be a voluntary, conscious and informed choice to either abide by it or not.

Now picture your system: from the adult's standpoint, they can never know if the 'young' person they want a relationship with is 'mature' or not. Maybe they could swear they were. Who's to say they are? A psychologist? There are so many fields of psychology and they rarely agree with each other, will it be only a matter of whom am I consulting with? A judge? So, if I had fallen to another court, could that 'young' person be considered fit for a relationship? What are the parameters? Who dictates the parameters? Will it be a matter of subjective avaliation? How is someone blamed for doing wrong if they aren't a judge and they aren't a psychologist? Will you have to take a permit with the government to get into a relationship? This is without accounting for the 'young' person's side, where it completely takes away any protection they might have.
Nov 21, 2019 3:35 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
149597871 said:

I don't know why do you think it would be that harder to prosecute.
Because theres now a legal defense for fucking a child? Because sexual predators can intimidate and coerce their victims by making this clear? Before right now if there's evidence of them having sex you could go to the police and there'd be nothing left for the predator, but with your system you have to drag the child through psychological testing and have it judged on a case by case basis, where the outcome might favour the predator? You are clearly just ignoring this potentiality, even though I spelled it out for you multiple times. At this point, I do have to ask myself why that is..

Is this just an insane blind spot that you have because you really want to have sex with a "mature" 13 year old and frantically try to think of a system where you can live that fantasy out legally? Maybe you just can't wrap your head around the concept of Bright-line rules and how they help to sidestep grey areas to protect a group of people that desperately needs said protection? Maybe there's a different explanation for why you're so willingly ignoring the openings that a system like that leaves?

There isn't a legal defense for raping a child which seems to be your biggest concern. I clearly said that the psychological testing should take place before the act and not after it (as a possible excuse for rape). Not that it matters much because as I said in the cases that you've mentioned there was never a consent to begin with so it's pretty clear that these are cases of rape rather than consensual sex.

Yes, it doesn't instantly sentence a person for 20 years in prison or ruining his or her life like the current system usually does without even bothering to check the circumstances and the details. Instead, it helps distinguish sexual crimes from sex between two consenting mature individuals by making it possible for certain people to be in a relationship as long as they are as I said both parties are physically and mentally ready for it, while on the other hand punishes sexual predators according to a more precise and more proper set of rules.

@Kosmonaut

Psychological tests/assessments have been around for quite some time and are used in many professional fields. I wouldn't call them "totally impractical" based on Universal truths such as people being able to make mistakes or nothing being 100% accurate. If I turn this into let's say gun ownership or sex/gender reassignment requiring psychological evaluation argument which let's be honest may potentially have even far worse consequences and are arguably more difficult to assess, will you still call it totally impractical and say that guns and transitioning should be banned for all people? Or maybe blindly pretend that it's okay to give anyone a gun as long as they have reached a certain age?
149597871Nov 21, 2019 3:57 AM
Nov 21, 2019 4:35 AM

Jul 2015
@149597871 great, so you only need to coerce a child into taking the test, and if they seem mature enough they'll pass? "Just play your part and you'll be rewarded, don't tell them we've been doing stuff already or you know what's gonna happen!" Hint: Abused children are often more mature than children that haven't been abused, so that's good news, eh?

And then you can legally rape them all you want, coercion is really easy after that, after all you have the sex-permit so the child has no legal recourse. And if they don't pass, "oh well". Just resort to threats, as is par of the course. It's not like you're worse off than you were before! Perhaps you can try again later with a different psychologist? Just get a reevaluation.

You're creating a legal basis for rape, psychological testing like this is prone to fail and relies on the psychologist being professional, which is also not a given. Therapists and other psychologists make mistakes all the time. Even if it only fails 5% of the time... congrats, you just created a class of people that can be legally sexually taken advantage of by fully grown adults, how does that feel?

The problem here is that you only look at the perfect hypothetical implementation and ignore all the problems that would realistically crop up if it was ever put into practice. This is shit-tier political thinking. There's a reason why the bright-line rule of sexual consent exists, it's because the damage that is done to children when laws fail them is so insane, we're better off avoiding the grey area entirely. It sucks for the couple of mature kids that would be ok, but they'll just have to wait a year or two. Better than feeding thousands of kids into a system of legal rape.

Nov 21, 2019 5:28 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Railey2 said:
@149597871 great, so you only need to coerce a child into taking the test, and if they seem mature enough they'll pass? "Just play your part and you'll be rewarded, don't tell them we've been doing stuff already or you know what's gonna happen!" Hint: Abused children are often more mature than children that haven't been abused, so that's good news, eh?

And then you can legally rape them all you want, coercion is really easy after that, after all you have the sex-permit so the child has no legal recourse. And if they don't pass, "oh well". Just resort to threats, as is par of the course. It's not like you're worse off than you were before! Perhaps you can try again later with a different psychologist? Just get a reevaluation.

You're creating a legal basis for rape, psychological testing like this is prone to fail and relies on the psychologist being professional, which is also not a given. Therapists and other psychologists make mistakes all the time. Even if it only fails 5% of the time... congrats, you just created a class of people that can be legally sexually taken advantage of by fully grown adults, how does that feel?

The problem here is that you only look at the perfect hypothetical implementation and ignore all the problems that would realistically crop up if it was ever put into practice. This is shit-tier political thinking. There's a reason why the bright-line rule of sexual consent exists, it's because the damage that is done to children when laws fail them is so insane, we're better off avoiding the grey area entirely. It sucks for the couple of mature kids that would be ok, but they'll just have to wait a year or two. Better than feeding thousands of kids into a system of legal rape.

A specialist can easily identify cases of manipulation unless the criminal is some sort of genius and the child is a perfect actor. Not denying that the possibility exists, but I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of kids with perfect acting abilities would end up being "fed" to thousands of pedophiles who also happen to be genius manipulators capable of tricking a professional, the authorities and the parents over an extended period and getting away with it. Besides, if the person is such a great manipulator he wouldn't really need to follow the law in the first place, wouldn't he? He just needs to tell the child: "Just play your part and you'll be rewarded, don't tell them we've been doing stuff already or you know what's gonna happen!".

Oh, that reminds me that there are plenty of such cases already so let's not pretend we are moving from a perfect system to a flawed one. We are just trying to determine which system is less flawed.

In fact, one could even argue that the child is far less protected in the current system because it's a lot easier to lie to your ignorant parents than it is to lie a professional or a team of professionals thus the brilliant acting often isn't required.

As I already mentioned in my previous post psychological testing is often one of the key factors in far more essential things (at least in normal countries), including gun ownership laws, military, etc. Even astronauts undergo a psychological evaluation. These 5% are quite an exaggeration. If we can trust psychology with the fate of our country or the entire world I'm pretty sure it will be lot safer than that when it comes to trusting it with a lot less significant issues.

But just for the sake of the argument let's assume that indeed nothing is 100% accurate that there will inevitably be a mistake at some point. I hate saying this but several boys each year are dying in the United States alone as a result of the circumcision procedure going wrong. Yet the American Academy of Pediatrics and a few other defenders of the practice are still claiming that the potential health benefits outweigh the risk. It is a very rational approach that has been and is currently used in various different fields in our society. Else you would never allow your kids to leave home because there is a risk that something bad may happen to them outside despite obviously knowing that it will be a lot more beneficial for them than keeping them locked in their rooms all-day.

But unlike circumcision, this one has actual benefits.

Considering how small the risk is, the benefits overall and that the fact that there isn't that much "less of a risk" in our current system, it is safe to say that these arguments cannot be used as an excuse.

To begin with I don't think most people would even try to get the "permission" as it is meant for very special cases so even if it becomes a reality don't expect that all teens would immediately start having sex 24/7 right after they hear the news.

@Kosmonaut read the comment, will try to reply tomorrow.
149597871Nov 21, 2019 5:52 AM
Nov 21, 2019 5:33 AM

Feb 2019
149597871 said:
@Kosmonaut

Psychological tests/assessments have been around for quite some time and are used in many professional fields. I wouldn't call them "totally impractical" based on Universal truths such as people being able to make mistakes or nothing being 100% accurate. If I turn this into let's say gun ownership or sex/gender reassignment requiring psychological evaluation argument which let's be honest may potentially have even far worse consequences and are arguably more difficult to assess, will you still call it totally impractical and say that guns and transitioning should be banned for all people? Or maybe blindly pretend that it's okay to give anyone a gun as long as they have reached a certain age?
That's assuming I even think there's a reason for someone to have a gun and need an evaluation, but let's pretend. A gun ownership test is to scan for disorders or agressive behavior that may impair their ability of safely owning a gun. The 'control' group is that of individuals arbitrarily chosen as capable of owning a gun and comparing each applicant to the control group of similar characteristics: age, gender, etc. The psychological evaluation for gender reassignment (not that I think it's necessary) follows the same logic: screening for conditions that may impair their ability of safely choosing to reassign. Notice a pattern? The assumption is that the individual is capable of owning a gun or gender reassigning, the test is to screen for the odd ball of not being so. It's a exclusionary test, not an inclusive one; it's not a test to see who's capable, but to see who's not. Other legally accepted tests follow the same logic, such as a sanity evaluation, military aptitude.

Now, for young people. A 'sexual maturity' evaluation would be based on what? Psychometrics, which would involve a control group and comparing to others that are judged capable of consenting? What control group is that? It'd be unadequate to compare them to a group that doesn't match their own: same age group, same gender, same socioeconomic class. Would it be assumed everyone at every age is capable of consenting and we should screen for who's not? What kind of psychological patterns one must have to not be capable of consent? With an age of consent set, one assumes everyone over it to be sexually mature or able to consent, with specific situations proving they're not, such as intoxication, mental retardation, under coercion. You're proposing the contrary, an evaluation to determine who is sexually mature. The impracticality comes from: lack of control group, lack of consensus on what is a sexually mature kid/teen, lack of clear directives regarding what is sexuality maturity, aside from being an inclusive test, instead of an exclusionary one.
Nov 21, 2019 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:
A specialist can easily identify cases of manipulation unless the criminal is some sort of genius and the child is a perfect actor. Not denying that the possibility exists, but I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of kids with perfect acting abilities would end up being "fed" to thousands of pedophiles who also happen to be genius manipulators capable of tricking a professional, the authorities and the parents over an extended period and getting away with it. Besides, if the person is such a great manipulator he wouldn't really need to follow the law in the first place, wouldn't he?

It's pretty clear that you're just imagining a fictional perfect system that's 100% capable of sorting out the children that are being abused vs. the children that aren't, using [specialists], which is really just a magic word that you use to stop thinking about how your system would actually work in practice.
How does your system protect children that are being taken advantage of, who might seem mature (because they've been abused), but are actually suffering deep psychological dama which will be much more apparent years down the line? [Specialists]. This is a fake explanation that you are using to placate others, but you actually don't have a clue how these [Specialists] would manage to judge everyone accurately.

They wouldn't. Psychology is still a deeply subjective field, and it will stay that way for a very long time. If you've ever been to a therapist, you'd know what I mean. "Specialists" are still human, and humans make mistakes. 12 - 14 year olds are really good at hiding abuse and playing out roles if they've been doing that for their entire life, they're not perfect actors but they'll be good enough.

You don't need to be a genius manipulator either, any run-of-the-mill narcissist will do a good enough job to break a persons character so thoroughly that they won't even think about not complying anymore. If you think that it takes a genius manipulator to break a person and make them act their part, you actually have no life experience whatsoever.
If a person like this sees the opportunity to make the system justify their abuse, they will absolutely take it.

149597871 said:
Oh, that reminds me that there are plenty of such cases already so let's not pretend we are moving from a perfect system to a flawed one. We are just trying to determine which system is less flawed.
I never pretended that our system was perfect. As I said before, it does stop some mature 13 year olds from having sex earlier and probably judges some people unfairly, which is bad, but the alternative is simply worse.

149597871 said:
In fact, one could even argue that the child is far less protected in the current system because it's a lot easier to lie to your ignorant parents than it is to lie a professional or a team of professionals thus the brilliant acting often isn't required.
Nothing is stopping people from doing that in your system either.

149597871 said:
As I already mentioned in my previous post psychological testing is often one of the key factors in far more essential things (at least in normal countries), including gun ownership laws, military, etc. Even astronauts undergo a psychological evaluation. These 5% are quite an exaggeration. If we can trust psychology with the fate of our country or the entire world I'm pretty sure it will be lot safer than that when it comes to trusting it with a lot less significant issues.
Oh yeah, how did that psychological testing work out for the tens of thousands of genocided civilians in Vietnam? You would think that the specialists of the US military would have managed to keep psychopaths away from the military! Oh wait..

And even if we ignore that, this is just such a shitty comparison. Militaries are needed, there's no real alternative. 12 year olds getting psychologically certified sex-permits are not needed. I don't even know where you wanted to go with this leap of logic, but it's not working.

149597871 said:
But just for the sake of the argument let's assume that indeed nothing is 100% accurate that there will inevitably be a mistake at some point. I hate saying this but several boys each year are dying in the United States alone as a result of the circumcision procedure going wrong. Yet the American Academy of Pediatrics and a few other defenders of the practice are still claiming that the potential health benefits outweigh the risk. It is a very rational approach that has been and is currently used in various different fields in our society. Else you would never allow your kids to leave home because there is a risk that something bad may happen to them outside despite obviously knowing that it will be a lot more beneficial for them than keeping them locked in their rooms all-day.

I'm not even gonna try to guess what point you're trying to make with that circumcision analogy, but you're not making much sense there.
Circumcision is shitty, yes. Therefore... what? What are you trying to say here? We always take risks when letting our kids outside, therefore we should just say fuck it and let them get sex-permits so they can possibly get abused by fully grown adults? Huh?

149597871 said:
To begin with I don't think most people would even try to get the "permission" as it is meant for very special cases so even if it becomes a reality don't expect that all teens would immediately start having sex 24/7 right after they hear the news.
What the permit does is that it gives predatory adults a chance to legalize their abuse if they have enough control over their victim and manage to slip it past one "specialist".

They don't have to do that, of course, but if they are smart they'll just try it before starting to rape them. If it doesn't work, oh well, you can move on to another target or just rape them oldschool style, you know, without permit, using threats and coercion. It doesn't matter what your system is "meant" for. If it does work? Hell yeah, now you can legally rape your victim and there's no chance that they can defend themselves at all. It will absolutely backfire as predators start taking advantage of it. It doesn't take a genius to see that.
Railey2Nov 21, 2019 6:18 AM

Nov 21, 2019 6:23 AM

May 2019
Man, the stuff I want legal is tame in comparison to how the thread ended up spinning off.

Anyway, OT, I can't estimate the ratio as it is difficult to create such an estimate. Not just because enumerating all my beliefs is impossible, but because I have no idea what "unpopular" should mean. Is the opinion "Serial Experiments Lain is good" an unpopular opinion? In a strict sense, yes. It's not a widely held view by the general public. On the other hand, it's a popular opinion among those who're able to have an informed opinion on the matter. A lot of my "unpopular" opinions, I suspect, would be due to most people being ignorant of my positions. E.g. I prefer a mixed member proportional system of representation over a first past the post system. This is unpopular in a strict sense. Can it be said to be unpopular among those who are informed about the multitude of voting systems? Unsure. I prefer to say I have a lot of "unusual" opinions.
Nov 21, 2019 2:22 PM

Feb 2010
not sure if really illegal, but i think fighting piracy is as pointless as the war on drugs.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 21, 2019 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Don't you mean rather "unethical"?

Here is one:

All those who encourage immigrations are fine as long as the bad apples are held in "warehouse" countries for convenience.
Nov 21, 2019 6:17 PM

Aug 2018
149597871 said:
Railey2 said:

A specialist can easily identify cases of manipulation unless the criminal is some sort of genius and the child is a perfect actor. Not denying that the possibility exists, but I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of kids with perfect acting abilities would end up being "fed" to thousands of pedophiles who also happen to be genius manipulators capable of tricking a professional, the authorities and the parents over an extended period and getting away with it. Besides, if the person is such a great manipulator he wouldn't really need to follow the law in the first place, wouldn't he? He just needs to tell the child: "Just play your part and you'll be rewarded, don't tell them we've been doing stuff already or you know what's gonna happen!".

Considering how small the risk is, the benefits overall and that the fact that there isn't that much "less of a risk" in our current system, it is safe to say that these arguments cannot be used as an excuse.

@Kosmonaut read the comment, will try to reply tomorrow.

Good sir, have you met a child before? They don't understand the world or most of the things around them. You could say "ooh they can be mature children yaddy yah yah" but their minds haven't developed yet and a child exposed to sex at a young age would most defiantly get affected by it in the future (for example a 12 year old getting pregnant would affect their future lives, education and psychological health). Also children live with their parents, since most of them of (like I said) don't understand the world around them and they make choices like education for the child. So do you really think parents being okay with you having sex with their 5 year old, they'd would/damn near beat you to death and no one would pity you. Also I'm a pretty young lad (I'm 15) and I've known people who've had sexual experiences when they where younger. It fucking traumatized them. So maybe try to consider that and ask someone whose had any sort of sexual experiences with older people when they were a child and discover "hey maybe I should stop living in my little fantasy and consider other people's real lives". I don't know if you are just an incel/pedo/mental/all of the above/a baiter who got me good, but please start revaluating your life choices good sir.
Nov 21, 2019 6:38 PM

Jan 2017
No matter where I am "legality" coincides with US laws. God bless America.
Nov 21, 2019 6:48 PM

Nov 2013
Reading the title I already knew what the thread would turn into. Just give it some more time mods, it can lead to at least some entertainment on this site.

And yes I have more unpopular opinions.

I can see you

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can you be a good person and a bad person at the same time?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 12

25 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
6 minutes ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 3 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

106 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
54 minutes ago

» people who live in poorer countries like in South Asia, South East Asia, Africa etc

ryo-san - Aug 17, 2022

24 by deg »»
57 minutes ago

» Favorite places in the EU you have visited, and where in the EU would you like to go next

KiraraFan - Jun 12

14 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 hours ago

» Overly Specific & Stupid Food Rules/Etiquette

vasipi4946 - Jun 12

20 by Mayahuel »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.