Forum Settings
Forums

About the scoring system, any preferences ?

New
Jun 24, 2019 8:32 PM

Aug 2015
So here on MAL we have a score that goes from 1 to 10.
If you could choose, would you change it for something like :

• 1-5 stars
  • Giving some aspects a note between 1 to 10 like the reviews
  • Having a score in percentage

Or maybe even other kinds of scoring systems.
Personally I think I'd like a system like the reviews, I feel that I could note things better.

What's your thoughts about it ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 24, 2019 8:35 PM

Feb 2019
I don't really know how I would implement this but I would love to see a scoring system that allows the individual to be completely honest. Which means that the mean score won't be visible until you score it yourself and the score that you set cannot be changed.
Jun 24, 2019 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
I have a scoring system that would only work for very few people and I happen to be included in that group. I definitely wouldn't want the MAL scoring system to change to what I use. That wouldn't be fair to other users.
Jun 24, 2019 8:37 PM

Aug 2015
Futz_ said:
I don't really know how I would implement this but I would love to see a scoring system that allows the individual to be completely honest. Which means that the mean score won't be visible until you score it yourself and the score that you set cannot be changed.

I don't think I would quite like that system, because I often find that when I rewatch an anime that I haven't seen for a long time I find it either better or worst. So setting it and you can't delete it would be a pretty bad idea to me.
Jun 24, 2019 8:38 PM

Aug 2014
tbh i just rate how i feel when i finish a show (even though i always know ill probably go back and rerate it) but if someone feels it is truly necessary to have a "review" thing with their score they could just take advantage of the tagging system

i use the tagging system to clarify what shows i have watched dubbed and/or simulwatched with other people. ive seen a lot of people use it to help clarify their scores too.
Jun 24, 2019 8:38 PM

Aug 2015
HungryForQuality said:
I have a scoring system that would only work for very few people and I happen to be included in that group. I definitely wouldn't want the MAL scoring system to change to what I use. That wouldn't be fair to other users.

Care to explain ? You got me curious now 'u'
Jun 24, 2019 8:39 PM

Feb 2019
_9_ said:
Futz_ said:

I don't think I would quite like that system, because I often find that when I rewatch an anime that I haven't seen for a long time I find it either better or worst. So setting it and you can't delete it would be a pretty bad idea to me.

I see your point and I know that my idea has lots of flaws, but I truly believe that the top 13 9 stars are just a result of mob mentality
Jun 24, 2019 8:40 PM

Aug 2015
katemonster123 said:
tbh i just rate how i feel when i finish a show (even though i always know ill probably go back and rerate it) but if someone feels it is truly necessary to have a "review" thing with their score they could just take advantage of the tagging system

i use the tagging system to clarify what shows i have watched dubbed and/or simulwatched with other people. ive seen a lot of people use it to help clarify their scores too.

I use the tags too much already, it would be a mess if I added that too xD
Jun 24, 2019 8:43 PM

Aug 2015
Futz_ said:
_9_ said:

I see your point and I know that my idea has lots of flaws, but I truly believe that the top 13 9 stars are just a result of mob mentality

Some of the top are actually legit, but I can see where you're getting from.
Like how Gintama is actually everywhere xD
Jun 24, 2019 8:50 PM

Feb 2019
_9_ said:
Futz_ said:

Yep, although FMA:B, in my opinion, should not be rated the best anime of all time, it's just people who give it either a 9/10 after watching, because they see the mean score but have no reason why they rated it so highly.

Even for 7/8 stars, most people just give it either a 6/7/8 star after watching it just because of the mean score. You might not think you're doing that but in reality, it is actually happening.
Jun 24, 2019 8:52 PM

Aug 2015
Futz_ said:
_9_ said:

Yep, although FMA:B, in my opinion, should not be rated the best anime of all time, it's just people who give it either a 9/10 after watching, because they see the mean score but have no reason why they rated it so highly.

Even for 7/8 stars, most people just give it either a 6/7/8 star after watching it just because of the mean score. You might not think you're doing that but in reality, it is actually happening.

I actually did that for a long time, and then I changed my way of noting things, I spent almost 3 hours re-noting all the stuff in my list.
...It's fun how my global score dropped by almost 2 points isn't it ?
Jun 24, 2019 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
a 1-5 rating for each category of visuals, sound, plot, characters, enjoyment
Jun 24, 2019 8:57 PM

Feb 2019
_9_ said:
Futz_ said:

I actually did that for a long time, and then I changed my way of noting things, I spent almost 3 hours re-noting all the stuff in my list.
...It's fun how my global score dropped by almost 2 points isn't it ?

uh huh, I did that as well. However, I realized it and the same thing happened to me. That's pretty much why I said my first comment, I want other people to realize this too.
Jun 24, 2019 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
I just want decimals, or atleast .5s, so I guess I want a 1-100 scoring system
Jun 24, 2019 9:03 PM

Mar 2017
this a little change but it could affect the scoring system in a way

1, 1.5 -> .... 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10
Jun 24, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2016
Nothing, the system is as perfect as it is.
Jun 24, 2019 9:04 PM

Feb 2019
Gythia said:

I think they did 1-10 because a 1-100 score system will be way too complicated and people will have a hard time decerning the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.4.
Jun 24, 2019 9:07 PM

Oct 2013
The system is good, the only problem is the trolls that give 1/10 to any series they don't like, especially ones that are threatening their favorite series spot at the top.
Jun 24, 2019 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
Futz_ said:
Gythia said:

I think they did 1-10 because a 1-100 score system will be way too complicated and people will have a hard time decerning the difference between a 7.5 and a 7.4.

I mean, that's their choice, they can always just put the score as 7, I personally want the scale so I can precisely give scores to the shows, because sometimes 2 shows can be a 7, but one could be a 7.1 and the other is a 7.8.

As for the 1-100 scale, it's basically the same thing. 71=7.1, 78=7.8
Jun 24, 2019 9:19 PM
Mar 2018
I honestly dont mind the scoring system at present, but I would have really liked if you could rate in decimals, like 9 and half or 4 and half etc. A scoring system of 1 to 5 isnt bad too imo
Jun 24, 2019 9:30 PM

Aug 2018
I'm fine with how it is, 1-10 is almost perfect. Having decimal would make it even better.

And on the other hand, I would hate the 1 - 5 scale, is fking awful and imprecise. I mean, 1 point is a fking huge difference in my scale and I already have issues with shows with the same score...
Jun 24, 2019 9:40 PM
Dec 2017
I like the rating system the way it is now but I would also like the option to use decimals. It would be more exact for shows that seem more in the middle. Like, a show could have a flaw that isn't too major that it would take the show down a full point. Instead, the score could go down half a point. For Pupa, I kinda struggled between a 4 and a 5, which I gave it in a review. I'd be satisfied with a 4.5 but we don't use decimals so...yeah.
Jun 24, 2019 11:44 PM

Oct 2012
Ideally, for the non-casual, long term anime fan, the rating should be 1-10 with infinite decimal places, or the equivalent. That way if you want to rate thumbs up-thumbs down, you can just use 1 and 10; if you want to use 5 stars, you can use 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10; if you want to use 1-10, you can use 1-10 without decimals; if you want percentages, you can use 0.1-10.0 with 1 decimal place; if you want something more, like I do, you can do 0.001-10.000. It would be a system for everyone.

After you've seen a couple hundred anime, the percentage should probably be the minimum granularity, if the goal was to track the entire range. For my own satisfaction, given anime A, B, etc., it should always be possible to:

• Evaluate about how much I liked A when I rated (e.g. relative to my feelings)
  • Contrast A such that it was either less enjoyable, equally enjoyable (rare), or more enjoyable to B. If there were only 10 ratings, then two 6's must either be equally enjoyable (unlikely) or some detail was lost in the ratings. They might have been 6.2 and 6.25.
  • Have enough room to adjust each rating relatively without conflict. Under a 1-10 scale, if I rated A a 6, and then rewatched and thought it wasn't as good the second time, then I would probably give it a 5. But now, it would be equivalent to all other 5's. In reality, I might think that it deserves a 5.8, still better than a 5, but not as good as the other 6's.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 24, 2019 11:55 PM

Oct 2010
I would prefer things to be split up.
Soundtrack
Storyline/Enjoyment
Characters
Animation

Give each one 2.5 in 0.5 increments. This way people will have to think about more than just how they felt about it. Tired of seeing people say, Animation was amazing, characters were great, soundtrack was good.. but the story.. EH. 5/10!
Like.. whot?
Jun 24, 2019 11:59 PM
Jan 2012
Add decimals, and an option to replace your personal numeric ratings with just a Yes/No on whether you recommend people watch the show or not. It's nice having a rating for yourself to remember your feelings towards an anime, but sometimes you just want to keep it simple instead of overcomplicating it.
Jun 25, 2019 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
I'd mainly ask for a separate score for the dub vs the original. Mandatory for series like Saber Rider, Samurai Pizza Cats, Ghost Stories etc
Jun 25, 2019 12:18 AM

Jan 2013
I like the smiley rating system you can use on AniList, it has 3 scores: :), :/ and :(. It's fast, convenient and prevents me from overthinking.
fuyukiJun 25, 2019 12:28 AM
Jun 25, 2019 1:08 AM

May 2009
_9_ said:
So here on MAL we have a score that goes from 1 to 10.
If you could choose, would you change it for something like :

• 1-5 stars
  • Giving some aspects a note between 1 to 10 like the reviews
  • Having a score in percentage

Or maybe even other kinds of scoring systems.
Personally I think I'd like a system like the reviews, I feel that I could note things better.

What's your thoughts about it ?
Hi Cirno!

I would like a score system that goes from -2 to +2, in five whole-number increments.

That is essentially how my current scoring system works. Just that I had to force it to fit a 1-10 scale, or rather, a 1-9 scale.

I prefer this because:

1. It simplifies the score into categories with clear, consistent meaning: hate, dislike, meh, like, love.
2. It is dissociated from the five-star movie rating system and any "grading" system like /10 or /100.

Futz_ said:
I'd like to be able to hide show scores before I rate them, but I would not like to be unable to change my scores.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 25, 2019 1:18 AM

Dec 2016
I personally despise 1-5 ratings systems. 3 in a 1-5 system tends to encompass 5-7 in a 1-10 system, and that's where a lot of the nuance is.
I have no taste.
Jun 25, 2019 1:34 AM

Apr 2017
1-10 is perfect. But 0.5 would be cool to implement
Jun 25, 2019 1:46 AM

Apr 2013
Joe_Bloggs402 said:
I personally despise 1-5 ratings systems. 3 in a 1-5 system tends to encompass 5-7 in a 1-10 system, and that's where a lot of the nuance is.

actually 3 stars is more like 5-6 in a 10 points system, 4 stars is 7-8 and so on.
Jun 25, 2019 2:08 AM

Jul 2016
well, I definitely don't want star rating, that's even less accurate than the 1 to 10 score. I want a score with decimals or a percentage or a rating for each aspect like plot, characters, etc could work as well I guess.
Jun 25, 2019 2:08 AM
Jul 2018
I'm fine with it as it is now. There might be "better" systems, easier, more complex, fancier, more effective or whatnot. But in the end there will still be people complaining, there will still be some who abuse whatever system is in place.
And there will still be people who feel the need to tell others how they are supposed to use their ratings.
removed-userJun 25, 2019 2:57 AM
Jun 25, 2019 2:27 AM
Apr 2017
Windrage said:
Joe_Bloggs402 said:

actually 3 stars is more like 5-6 in a 10 points system, 4 stars is 7-8 and so on.
That's what it is for you, maybe. To me in a 1-5 system 5 is equal to 10, 4 would be equal to 8-9, 3 to 5-7, 2 to 2-4 and 1 to, well, 1. Neither is wrong anyway, 1-5 scoring systems have no nuance whatsoever and trying to adapt 1-10 to 1-5 is a pointless endeavour in the first place (fun fact, in Germany, schools rate everything 1-5 where 1 is best and 5 is worst. The krauts are ever a source of interesting facts).

As for MAL scoring, I'd like 0.5 increments too, there's a definite difference between a 7, 7.5 and 8 for instance but the current one works just fine. It's obviously American since 5 is considered average but there's not much to be done about it anyway.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 25, 2019 2:56 AM

Apr 2013
Kurgo said:
Windrage said:

That's what it is for you, maybe. To me in a 1-5 system 5 is equal to 10, 4 would be equal to 8-9, 3 to 5-7, 2 to 2-4 and 1 to, well, 1. Neither is wrong anyway, 1-5 scoring systems have no nuance whatsoever and trying to adapt 1-10 to 1-5 is a pointless endeavour in the first place (fun fact, in Germany, schools rate everything 1-5 where 1 is best and 5 is worst. The krauts are ever a source of interesting facts).

As for MAL scoring, I'd like 0.5 increments too, there's a definite difference between a 7, 7.5 and 8 for instance but the current one works just fine. It's obviously American since 5 is considered average but there's not much to be done about it anyway.

My system is more acurate math wise, so it's definetely not this way just for me. If you divide a 10 point system into a 5 star system you get 2 points for each star. Some sites use a 5 star system, but with half stars, in this case 4,5 half stars would be equivalent to a 9, which you can round to 5 stars. You're the one who's changing things here, but I'm not saying you're wrong. Everyone has their own methods for rating stuff with systems that work best for them. I used the full 10 points system until now, and I'll probably switch back to it in the future, but for now the 5 star system works better for me, because I realised I don't have to overthink as much about the score anymore. The main flaw with the 10 points system is that there is no "middle". People say 5 is average, but the middle is actually 5.5, and since we can't rate with decimals, the average could as well be 6 if you round it up. Things get so much more simple when rating from 1 to 5, because 3 is obviously the average, so 4-5 is basically above the average and 1-2 is below the average.
Jun 25, 2019 3:07 AM

Nov 2011
More than 1-10 scoring system is a ridiculous idea.. People will be more influenced by mean score..
If A is rated 8.4 for example and B rated 8.6 and they like show A more a little, they will do useless thing like rated B as 8.3 and rated A as 8.7, I doubt they can really differentiate between 8.3 and 8.7 nor they can really build 100 tiers in their ranking ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 25, 2019 3:10 AM

May 2018
I'm kinda unsure. 10 scores is a perfect option. I like using all 10 scores and I like when people do the same.
But it seems that the most of community use only about five scores to rate their anime, and probably 5-score system could be more accurate. But imo it's kinda primitive.
On the other hand, scoring by percents is too much

Jun 25, 2019 3:10 AM

Feb 2019
I think implementing decimals (at least .5) would help setting some shows apart, because right now I have low/high 7's and 8's and so on that are not quite 6's or 9's, for example. Yeah, anilist lets you choose your preferred method of rating - even with emojis - but I question how well do they translate to percentages when they do overall means on shows.
Jun 25, 2019 3:11 AM

Apr 2018
Personally, I'd like mal to add decimals, but, if they fear so many scores might be overwhelming for people who don't really care about scoring too much, I think adding only the .5 would be a nice compromise.
Jun 25, 2019 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
Jim_Heart said:
More than 1-10 scoring system is a ridiculous idea.. People will be more influenced by mean score..
If A is rated 8.4 for example and B rated 8.6 and they like show A more a little, they will do useless thing like rated B as 8.3 and rated A as 8.7, I doubt they can really differentiate between 8.3 and 8.7 nor they can really build 100 tiers in their ranking ...
I have an 8.8 -- School Rumble. I like it a lot better than Serei no Moribito, 8.35, which is still a very good show. Why is it 8.35 as opposed to anything else? Because it is slightly better than Durarara!! at 8.3 and slightly worse than the second season of School Rumble at 8.4, which is in turn slightly worse than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood at 8.45, which is slightly worse than Death Note at 8.5.

See how that works? Because I know I like one show better than another. I have 476 on my completed list, and the idea that I can't split 476 shows into more than 10 bins is ridiculous.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 25, 2019 4:09 AM

Jul 2011
Are all threads about scoring and scores now? Well I'm okay with the current system

Jun 25, 2019 4:12 AM

Jan 2019
1 to 10 score rating system is good. Don't need to change it.
Jun 25, 2019 4:32 AM

Apr 2015
You can always use tags. I've grown to like this dual system a lot.
Jun 25, 2019 7:09 AM

Dec 2016
Windrage said:
Joe_Bloggs402 said:

Mathematically, yes. But when using a 3 star, you usually mean that it is good, worth your time, etc. The sentiment lines up with a 7.

A 4 star is something that excels. Not to the extent of a 5 star, but something that surpasses expectations. These are not descriptors I would give to a 7.
I have no taste.
Jun 25, 2019 7:20 AM

Nov 2018
If I could I'd completely get rid of the score you give it and just use a scale thats based on enjoyment, something like a slide bar.
Jun 25, 2019 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Joe_Bloggs402 said:
Windrage said:

Mathematically, yes. But when using a 3 star, you usually mean that it is good, worth your time, etc. The sentiment lines up with a 7.

A 4 star is something that excels. Not to the extent of a 5 star, but something that surpasses expectations. These are not descriptors I would give to a 7.

Actually, it all depends on how you see every number. 3 is in the middle of the 1-5 rating system, so that's why for me for me 3 stars means average, in others words, not too good but not necessarily bad either, just okay for the most part. Now let's take a look at the 10 point system and see which number would mean average: 5.5 is in the middle so the average would be 5 or 6. I've already talked about it above. If you look at things this way than you can definetely rate an anime that excels with 7, because 7 is already above average.
Jun 25, 2019 7:36 AM

Feb 2019
ShockZz said:
If I could I'd completely get rid of the score you give it and just use a scale thats based on enjoyment, something like a slide bar.

That’s bad because a lot of us take in count how the anime was actually written and many other aspects. For example, I liked Akame ga Kill, in terms of enjoyment it was a 10 however there were many issues so I gave it a 8
Jun 25, 2019 7:42 AM

Jul 2016
I think I would like to use percents or tens with decimals, but I don't think everyone would so tens might be fine. There is a website like MAL for movies called Letterboxd which uses five stars with halves so that could be an option as well.

Jun 25, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
1-10 is perfect.
Decimals are useless in my opinion.
Jun 25, 2019 8:49 AM

Mar 2019
I'd rather have a scoring system not based on an absolute number but simply ranking everything you know from best to worst.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Old Anime age poorly or do people age poorly?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

11 by Rhae »»
11 minutes ago

» How charming is your waifu when she opens the door?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

10 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - 6 hours ago

22 by MFDOOMED »»
27 minutes ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 11 hours ago

35 by PeripheralVision »»
35 minutes ago

» Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?

LenRea - 4 hours ago

12 by PeripheralVision »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.