Forums
New
Jun 10, 2015 3:06 PM
Jul 2014
Is it because of Japan's economy?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2015 3:07 PM

Jun 2013
Is it in bad shape in the first place? Legitimate question, I'm not being smart or anything.
Jun 10, 2015 3:09 PM
Jul 2014
FloatsBoats said:
Is it in bad shape in the first place?

That's what I have heard.
Jun 10, 2015 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
Because anime was a mistake
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 10, 2015 3:11 PM

Jul 2011
Because lolis and moe.
Jun 10, 2015 3:12 PM
Jul 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Japan's economy has been in the dumps for two decades, but we've seen that various studios during these periods have made a shit ton of money. Granted some of them are no longer around, but almost every industry without exception has drivers that are not strictly based on the broader country economy.

FloatsBoats said:
Between extremely low wages for animators, directors falling back to Kickstarter, and an evolving media landscape that the industry appears to be super far behind on, I'd say the industry has, at the very least, seen a lot better times.

I certainly think there are some structural issues in the industry that need to be addressed for long term stability. I don't think current models are financially stable in the long term.

So it is these structural issues that are the primarily reasons for the industry's poor health?
Jun 10, 2015 3:22 PM

Jun 2013
Zergneedsfood said:

FloatsBoats said:
Between extremely low wages for animators, directors falling back to Kickstarter, and an evolving media landscape that the industry appears to be super far behind on, I'd say the industry has, at the very least, seen a lot better times.

I certainly think there are some structural issues in the industry that need to be addressed for long term stability. I don't think current models are financially stable in the long term.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about the income inequality problem, it's sort of the same problem pro tennis has actually. Fixing that might be a start :>. Oh and maybe trying to take advantage of the massively increasing fan base in the west, that might help too, but who am I to give them advice.
Jun 10, 2015 3:24 PM

Apr 2015
Because the industry is slowly,but surely crumbling due poor economic structuring,and a variety of other things.You know,like pirating,expensive as shit stuff,ETC.

The industry also suffers from stupid marketing strategies,such as selling extremely expensive box sets that very few people are willing to buy.But hell,if they do somehow buy it,they will make 4-7 times more than what they would have got if they sold the set at a decent price.

Also,lets not forget that anime is expensive as shit in Japan.What we pay for a box set of say,Fullmetal alchemist 2003,they pay for 4 episodes.

Lets also not forget that animators are not paid that well,at least most of them.And we have seen evidence for this time and time again.

The industry is not well,but can still come back.How? Well i don't really know.
Jun 10, 2015 3:27 PM
May 2014
It depends on what you mean by "bad" shape. For example, just until a few years ago iirc, Amazon wasn't making any "profit" in its fiscal reports even though it was bringing in growing amounts of revenue. The reason was because they were carefully funneling all extra funds into further development, slashing prices, and new ventures.

Is the anime industry in a bad shape? Perhaps, but it's still sustaining and budgets for anime production seem to have grown larger than it used to be. Whether or not this is sustainable in the long-run is up to debate, but many also felt that Amazon's long-term prospects were not very good when it started out.
Jun 10, 2015 3:30 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno, I'm pretty sure that 2013 was the most profitable year in the history of the medium.
Jun 10, 2015 3:40 PM

Nov 2008
What Japan needs is mobile streaming, mobile is big business in Japan and the lack of streaming services for them is a blight on the industry. Ever heard of Shinra's cloud gaming service, it's time Japan has a Shinra for anime and fast.

Also, the buying model should be changed from a BD/DVD model to the more accessible merchandise/CD/Streaming model, they would get more buyers this way and more viewers if the mobile streaming services are implemented.

Jun 10, 2015 3:43 PM
May 2014
Hoppy said:
What Japan needs is mobile streaming, mobile is big business in Japan and the lack of streaming services for them is a blight on the industry. Ever heard of Shinra's cloud gaming service, it's time Japan has a Shinra for anime and fast.

Also, the buying model should be changed from a BD/DVD model to the more accessible merchandise/CD/Streaming model, they would get more buyers this way and more viewers if the mobile streaming services are implemented.

Japan does have mobile streaming, in fact their mobile streaming industry was developed earlier than America's. The money for anime, however, came from selling physical copies and that's where the most money still comes from, which is kind of the problem. Attempts to adopt new business models haven't really panned out in a way that'll "revolutionize" anything, so progress has been slow.
Jun 10, 2015 3:53 PM
May 2014
offmodel said:

This argument makes no sense to me. They need to kill the one market that still provides money, for one the people who don't support the industry now, but maybe, sort of, kind of want to later say they will consider it? We don't even have a 4k disc format yet, which would be a huge seller with your Ghibli/art house crowd even if not for most newer anime, and the U.S. at least has no infrastructure to support 4k streaming because of our ISP monopolies. I just don't see it actually providing revenue, at best it will make it cheaper for release groups to get their rips done.

When I said "problem," I meant it along the sames lines as you, in that there's no real incentive for the anime industry to change its model, hence why there haven't been any radical changes. On a side note, I disagree that 4K would really make much of impact (there are few anime that seem to have a native 1080p source, so even if the technology was available, I don't think it would be used).
Jun 10, 2015 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Feaor said:
I dunno, I'm pretty sure that 2013 was the most profitable year in the history of the medium.
The important question though is what does that mean? If the majority of the profits were just going to big name studios like Shaft, Ufotable, whatever, that means there are still a bunch of smaller studios out there who are just struggling 24/7. I'm not 100% satisfied with the idea of there only being a few studios who have the bank to make stuff.
i was always under the impression that "2013 was the most profitable year" is more about the mainstream anime FGAU preaches about, rather than otaku anime
Jun 10, 2015 4:04 PM

Jan 2008
It's not in bad shape at all if you are a consumer. There's more stuff to choose from then ever before. I am following 24 shows.
Jun 10, 2015 4:08 PM
May 2014
offmodel said:

Every anime that has a film negative has a potential source, I wrote up a detailed post about this in another thread. That's why I mentioned your Ghibli/art house crowd being the target for that. See this thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1392517&show=50

Yes of course, but that's a very niche audience that wouldn't make the impact necessary even if we did have 4K available to us right now as a standard. Which was also kind of your point back on the original post, so I'm probably being repetitive.
Jun 10, 2015 4:12 PM

Mar 2015
Feaor said:

Not really, if anything, that goes to the 80s or 90s.
Jun 10, 2015 4:17 PM

Oct 2012
MrInfy said:
Feaor said:

While I don't have 100% undeniable proof, I do have two articles, one in English with some nice figures and one in Japanese that support my claim.
Jun 10, 2015 4:21 PM

Oct 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
romagia said:
i was always under the impression that "2013 was the most profitable year" is more about the mainstream anime FGAU preaches about, rather than otaku anime
oh really?

I mean I wouldn't know, lol @_@
I'm not sure either, I mean 2013 was the year of SnK which I think enjoyed some main stream success in Japan, at least more so than the average late night anime.
Jun 10, 2015 4:29 PM

Nov 2014
Because no one wants to buy expensive ass 2 episode blurays

Jun 10, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2013
One word: Pirates
Jun 10, 2015 4:33 PM

Nov 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:

More like: Poor people

Jun 10, 2015 4:34 PM

Apr 2014
Is it the anime industry that is in a bad shape ? Or is it the creativity and overall originality in anime that is in bad shape ? Now I wonder...

I might lack some knowledge but overall it may just be like for everything , there is up and down . Nothing to worry too much .

Nov 2014
Japan should just start renting/streaming anime

May 2012
They are not making enough anime that appeal to me. That is why. My stake in the anime industry is like 70%.
Jun 10, 2015 4:35 PM

Mar 2013
To put it simply, when was the last time you paid for an anime?
Jun 10, 2015 4:35 PM

Aug 2014
bcoz things happened
Jun 10, 2015 4:40 PM

Oct 2012
fst said:
To put it simply, when was the last time you paid for an anime?
If you're talking about discs, a couple of years ago. If you're talking about contributing to the industry in general, this month probably.
Jun 10, 2015 5:08 PM
Mar 2011
Financially not so
ethically its in is the shitter in the worst way
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 10, 2015 5:11 PM

Mar 2015
offmodel said:
MrInfy said:

The 90's were not a great time overall, FGAU is right when he says that the Western fanbase judges things based on our nostalgia for that era. Right Stuf has a good article that ends at 1995, and is worth reading, there are a lot of parallels with right now.

Huh, I thought it'd turn out to be another one of those ignorant articles you see on IGN, but it was pretty interesting. They were also pretty spot-on with the 80s being the golden years for the japanese economy in the animation industry; it was definitely a time when the passion for robots and future technologies was at its zenith, this is reflected in the enormous quantity of anime with robots and cyberpunk. (Gundam, AKIRA) There were also plenty of anime set in space (Galaxy Empress 999, LoGH), and introduced a lot of quintessential shonen anime that would later influence other series, set new standards within their demographic and become a cult phenomenon in Japan. (Dragon Ball, Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya)
Jun 10, 2015 5:12 PM

Jan 2015
Coz Japs recluse
It might look that they are a totally open contri but its not
They didn't even made galapagos flip flops release to the world market
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 10, 2015 5:42 PM
May 2014
offmodel said:

I think you're missing my point. A niche audience that spends money is more important than a giant, pirating audience. The western fanbase doesn't seem to get that; who cares if Toonami spread awareness about anime, in the long term it ended up being a financial failure, at least in terms of financing new shows.

That's true and the Japanese audience already demonstrates that point. The problem here is equating that with the audience that would form for 4K releases. You're speaking of niche of niche, whose monetary contributions would be insignificant in comparison and would grow more insignificant as the film releases age. It's not viable nor would it contribute much to the industry currently, as the re-releases would have to be aimed at the older cult series that still have a loyal fanbase (like Ghibli as you mentioned). But that doesn't do anything except make a little side profit from rehashing old content and it'll stay that way for 4K unless changes in the industry make 4K more viable as a whole.
Jun 10, 2015 6:11 PM

Aug 2007
I'm surprised nobody tried blaming piracy.
Jun 10, 2015 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I did.
Jun 10, 2015 6:23 PM

Aug 2007
Tenshi_Shura said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I did.

Must have skimmed too fast. Either way that's wrong. Piracy has nothing to do with shitty business models.
Jun 10, 2015 7:08 PM

Jul 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I did.

Must have skimmed too fast. Either way that's wrong. Piracy has nothing to do with shitty business models.

Both are at fault. Piracy is illegal and disrespects the creators but it would've been avoided if anime were more accessible. But still, even if was accessible, people will still pirate because it's free. I'm not making sense, am I?
Jun 10, 2015 7:51 PM
Feb 2014
its not
Jun 10, 2015 7:53 PM

Apr 2014
Nicoreos said:
its not
Jun 10, 2015 8:55 PM

Dec 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
jpenobagel said:
It depends on what you mean by "bad" shape. For example, just until a few years ago iirc, Amazon wasn't making any "profit" in its fiscal reports even though it was bringing in growing amounts of revenue. The reason was because they were carefully funneling all extra funds into further development, slashing prices, and new ventures.

Is the anime industry in a bad shape? Perhaps, but it's still sustaining and budgets for anime production seem to have grown larger than it used to be. Whether or not this is sustainable in the long-run is up to debate, but many also felt that Amazon's long-term prospects were not very good when it started out.
Few people ever really doubted that Amazon was in bad shape. The only doubt was that it was overpriced for the margins that it was generating. Otherwise, everybody knew that Amazon was perfectly fine. Having slim profits and net income really only mattered in this case to outside investors who hoped to cash in on good dividends or equity returns.

Most people knew that Amazon wasn't going anywhere.

Feaor said:
The important question though is what does that mean? If the majority of the profits were just going to big name studios like Shaft, Ufotable, whatever, that means there are still a bunch of smaller studios out there who are just struggling 24/7. I'm not 100% satisfied with the idea of there only being a few studios who have the bank to make stuff.

I dont think 2013 was profitable because of few selected studios.
Jun 10, 2015 9:29 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
The problem with piracy is that it's impossible to calculate the "loss" with any reasonable certainty. It's obvious that there are some financial ramifications, but the extent of it is far from being conclusive. At the same time, people who justify piracy are just as inclined to say that without piracy they would have never gotten into anime and would have never bought x, y, and z merchandise that they got because of getting into anime via piracy.

My favourite is when companies sue for the cummulative value of every single download, like when they tried to sue limewire for an amount exceeding the GDP of the world.
Jun 10, 2015 9:48 PM

Jun 2014
Its not. Just because the current anime doesn't appeal to you or something about it seems off, think again. Your opinion on the medium isn't a fact. Same with Miyazaki.
Jun 10, 2015 10:07 PM
Jan 2015
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Its not. Just because the current anime doesn't appeal to you or something about it seems off, think again. Your opinion on the medium isn't a fact. Same with Miyazaki.

Judging it on the tried and true Monkey Punch Scale of Excellence™ this is the best season in 30 years.
Zergneedsfood said:
The problem with piracy is that it's impossible to calculate the "loss" with any reasonable certainty. It's obvious that there are some financial ramifications, but the extent of it is far from being conclusive. At the same time, people who justify piracy are just as inclined to say that without piracy they would have never gotten into anime and would have never bought x, y, and z merchandise that they got because of getting into anime via piracy.

I think the biggest effect you can judge is the death of the single DVD release market. People who want high quality dubs should remember the % of the ones cited as all time greats done by Pioneer or Bandai, because single DVD sales fueled those. I heard Tony Oliver interviewed at some convention where he went into it, and his take was basically that the industry is going to shift towards whatever replaces disc sales for financing shows, which is going to be a mix of merch and streaming platforms, but that might not leave enough meat on the bone for the quality international adaptations we were once used to. I think he was pretty well right about it.
Jun 10, 2015 10:36 PM

Sep 2013
"anime is dead cause I hate ecchi and moe"

This is what the op wanted to say.
Jun 10, 2015 10:38 PM
Mar 2011
Nicoreos said:
its not

financially no it not
ethically it is
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 10, 2015 10:39 PM
Feb 2014
FGAU1912 said:
Nicoreos said:
its not

financially no it not
ethically it is

>ethically

Explain yourself please otherwise refer to below.

AqutanJun 10, 2015 10:43 PM
Jun 10, 2015 10:44 PM

Mar 2012
Lower quality of Anime, pirating, and poor business practices. Anime should be making way more money outside of Japan, but the Japanese are too stubborn with their outdated business models.
Jun 10, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2014
RichtheLionheart said:
Lower quality of Anime, pirating, and poor business practices. Anime should be making way more money outside of Japan, but the Japanese are too stubborn with their outdated business models.

Also some anime disc are freakin' expensive. No way in hell am I going to pay $300 for a BD.
Jun 10, 2015 10:54 PM

Jul 2013
Hideaki Anno was right. Anime is dying.
Jun 10, 2015 10:56 PM

Apr 2015
Because money overall. No money, no anime. Deal with it.
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 10, 2015 10:57 PM

Aug 2014
It all comes down to ethics and general qua-
Oh, who am I kidding, it's just about the ethics.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🐱‍👤✨Naruto Hand Seals Are Based On Buddhism?!

Metabee177 - 4 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Jun 2

37 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 2

38 by CheesyJen »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - Yesterday

37 by deg »»
39 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

58 by MedK001 »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.