Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 12, 2015 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, nothing more like a nice snack during work huh? The bento looks neat too.

And as for the character designs, I actually it looks good at least for the effort they've put into that. That stress though.
Feb 12, 2015 6:58 AM

Dec 2013
That seiyuu in the studio, sounds like Kana Hanazawa or Hisako Kanemoto.
Feb 12, 2015 9:02 AM

Jan 2012
Looks like help arrived for Aoi just as she was beginning to crack. I couldn't help but think of poor Zuka during the recording session. Well at least Kunogi remains adorable if nothing else.
Feb 12, 2015 9:13 AM

Jun 2012
Oi-chan should have no shame tearing up in that situation at the voice recording session. I felt the rookie seiyuu's determination to do her best as well ;_;

Yano here to save the day before Aoi gets admitted into an insane asylum
Feb 12, 2015 9:23 AM

Apr 2011
Miyamori-san fighto! Ganbare!

Yes! Yano is back!
Feb 12, 2015 9:26 AM

Jan 2014
Wow that is a problem, but Yano-san is finally back!!

Go Miyamori!
Feb 12, 2015 9:27 AM
Mar 2014
Yano-san! I missed her quite a bit, surprisingly. All in all a very nice cliffhanger to end the episode with.
That post-ED was quite interesting, too. Start with the fundamentals..

vegetablespiritFeb 12, 2015 10:39 AM
Feb 12, 2015 9:41 AM

Dec 2007
Well, as expected, it hit the fan again. Looks like the Titanic failure was everything we expected it to be - they basically need someone else now, and Yano just rides into the office like Aoi's knight in shining armor.

The after-credit scene was nice. So he has an inspiration for those ruins.
Feb 12, 2015 9:42 AM

Jul 2010
The introductions was a little awkward making it quite fun. Seeing more of the seiyuu part was great.

Aoi meeting Ookura drunk. They way he forgot it the next day, felt like he pretended to know her xD It was interesting to see some old relationships coming into play!

Titanic is really quite the carefree company. Aoi in distress and Yano comes to the rescue.
Feb 12, 2015 9:47 AM

Oct 2012
Studio Taitanic: The name seems to say it all. . . .(Note the unusual spelling is Taitanic not Titanic.)

Kenichi Mimura doesn't seem to mind working in his run-down surroundings, but I wonder
whether it would improve the staff morale if they spent some money to repaint the walls.

Here are a variety of views of Studio Taitanic, from various angles:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/ponpokonwes/imgs/a/3/a3e9948d.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/2/d/2dab92af.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/a/0/a0492e3b.jpg
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/2/3/23d079a7.jpg
http://yusaani.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/13/capt_089.jpg
http://yusaani.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/13/capt_088.jpg

Despite the very dilapidated appearance of Studio Taitanic, the amount of effort
required to recreate it in Shirobako must have been quite significant. I think that
Mizushima made a conscious decision to "spend big" on making Studio Taitanic
look dingy, with walls that might have been dirty or might have been moldy. The
result is to make other places look much nicer by comparison. Probably Mizushima
is planning many more scenes in Studio Taitanic, since he already made the large
investment of the design of the background, no doubt involving 3DCG.

I think that Mizushima is now working with a large budget for animation since it
is now clear that the Blu-rays and DVDs are big sellers. Any additional investment
in quality by Mizushima now is likely to make those sales jump even higher. That
is why everything looks perfect. At this point the objective seems to be to make
Shirobako an enduring Japanese national treasure.

At this moment, the "Amazon Stalker points" for the Blu-ray of Volume 3, which
goes on sale on February 25th, are at 8386. This indicates that many people are
pre-ordering the Blu-ray prior to it going on sale. 8386 is extremely high. I can
only recall seeing such impressive pre-orders for "Free!" and "Sword Art Online".

For those of you who are interested in "Amazon Stalker points", the 8386 number
is the forecast of the final cumulative number of points (最終予測累積ポイント).
The target date for the forecast is February 25th. The specific meaning of the
number of points is the actual number of Blu-rays that will be sold by Amazon
during the first week after they go on sale. An important, but separate, issue is
how the sales will continue in the subsequent weeks. They may stay high or
they may taper off quickly. Ultimately, it is the number of Blu-rays that are sold
over future years that determines the dollars that the studio eventually earns. As
well, in some case the price of the Blu-rays is heavily discounted if there is fear
that they won't be sold. In that case, the profit per unit could be extremely small
or negligible. The studio wouldn't make any money from selling the Blu-rays, but
at least they can empty their warehouse.

Here is a wonderful explanation and practical introduction for anybody who
wants to get into it:
https://bakalaureate.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/guest-post-anime-and-sales-analysis-by-yuyucow/
And here is the actual link to use to access their database:
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index2.cgi?sort=rankup
okanaganFeb 12, 2015 11:59 AM
Feb 12, 2015 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
I'm amazed againg. I knew that PA Works is graet studio, but now I think that it is top one.
5/5
Aoi-chan FAITO!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 12, 2015 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
Aoi-chan fight! I know you can handle this!

Feb 12, 2015 10:09 AM
Mar 2014
okanagan said:
I think that Mizushima is now working with a large budget for animation since it
is now clear that the Blu-rays and DVDs are big sellers. Any additional investment
in quality now by Mizushima now is likely to make those sales even higher. That
is why everything looks perfect. At this point the objective seems to be to make
Shirobako an enduring Japanese national treasure.

At this moment, the "Amazon Stalker points" for the Blu-ray of Volume 3, which
goes on sale on February 25th, are at 8386. This indicates that many people are
pre-ordering the Blu-ray prior to it going on sale. 8386 is extremely high. I can
only recall seeing such impressive pre-orders for "Free!" and "Sword Art Online".

For those of you who are interested in "Amazon Stalker points", the 8386 number
is the forecast of the final cumulative number of points (最終予測累積ポイント).
The target date for the forecast is February 25th. The specific meaning of the
number of points is the actual number of Blu-rays that will be sold by Amazon
during the first week after they go on sale. An important, but separate, issue is
how the sales will continue in the subsequent weeks. They may stay high or
they may taper off quickly. Ultimately, it is the number of Blu-rays that are sold
over future years that determines how money that studio ultimately earns. As
well, in some case the price of the Blu-rays is heavily discounted if there is fear
that they won't be sold. In that case, the profit per unit could be extremely small
or negligible. In such a case, the studio wouldn't make any money from selling
the Blu-rays, but at least they would empty their warehouse.

Thanks! This is all pretty interesting information. Hopefully it continues to sell well as it wraps up. But given that it's already sold so much, I'd be surprised if it died down..
Feb 12, 2015 10:24 AM
Dec 2008
Never work with a studio named 'Titatanic' again!

Poor Aoi at least Yano is there to back her up.
Feb 12, 2015 10:32 AM

Aug 2010
I'm so in love with Aoi right now :3 She's such an amazing girl. Love the pink shirt around her hip fashion <3 And her facial expression are just so much fun ^^

Poor her at the end but she handled it perfectly and Yano came to the rescue as well :D

Loved the scene after the ED. Beautiful.
Feb 12, 2015 10:34 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Miyamori's face when drunk Ookura trolled her a little. XD

Thanks to her, negotiation succeeded. Konekoya's Dorayaki was a good incentive.

Yano is back! Good news for Miyamori and bad for Taro.

Feb 12, 2015 10:38 AM

Feb 2013
Man, just when Myamori was running out of options, Yano comes to save the day.

I thought Myamori was just gonna start crying lol
Feb 12, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2014

This was just great, so awkward, the way how there was no background music until Ace-kun started talking was just perfect, really nailed it.
Aria's seiyuu reminded me of Ace-kun when she was starting, and in a way also reminded me of Zuka-chan but we haven't seen much of the latter ;_;, really liking how this wasn't the first character I noticed that with either, she has come a long ways and the show is portraying that really well.
And that whole scene was just perfect, my reaction was basically the same as Ace-kun, felt really good to see her get it right.

I don't know why but the girls in the first half of this episode just seemed cuter than usual, the second half was normal though, maybe it was the lighting in the recording studio (I think I noticed this in other recording studio scenes before too) and in the bar.

That guy doesn't look 60 at all... even old men look moe here.

Jesus christ this girl... I kinda feel sorry for her at this point and I don't even know why.

Ookura-san's scene was also great, loved his character, he just felt so real.
I think that Shirobako does that really well, for the most part, the characters don't feel forced or anything, they feel very natural and human, I'm probably only paying attention to this because most of the characters this season just plain suck and feel forced as hell, watching Shirobako and then something like KanColle is like day and night.
And don't forget to watch the scene after the ED!

That guy took the job and just ran away, lol.

Erika-chwan is back though, about time!
Still waiting for news from Zuka-chan though, I know you're going for the "things don't always work the way we want them to" message but poor Zuka. ;_;

inb4 they ask Anno for help for episode 5.
Paulo27Feb 12, 2015 11:00 AM
Feb 12, 2015 11:04 AM

Sep 2009
I wonder who Ookura is based on?
Feb 12, 2015 11:10 AM

Oct 2012
A really interesting post @okanagan :).
That was a really good episode, I could feel that stressing aura, I hope that she can handle everything.
This moe drawing style is a bit weird when the characters are over fourty, they look too young, maybe P.A Works can't handle that well either :/?
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Feb 12, 2015 11:12 AM
Dec 2011
wonder will this guy(his scene was in episode 11) help musani since musani need a new episode director.
http://i.imgur.com/lv687dF.jpg

Nachtwandler_21 said:
I wonder who Ookura is based on?

Hiromasa Ogura
Feb 12, 2015 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
That was a nice episode, loved the cliffhanger at the end.

"I'm back." A hero to save the day. but will she save the day? of course she will.

I liked how Miyamori got trolled by Ookura, loved the scene.
Feb 12, 2015 11:34 AM
Oct 2012
Paulo27 said:

This was just great, so awkward, the way how there was no background music until Ace-kun started talking was just perfect, really nailed it.

What was so perfect about that scene was that the director, he whose flights of fancy are even more embarrassing, even he cringed at that display. Pot and kettle and all that.
Feb 12, 2015 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
So, who else had an anxiety attack from watching those last few minutes?
Feb 12, 2015 11:50 AM

Apr 2010
When one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong, that a familiar scenario for me.
And even tho solving it is problematic annoying and sometimes very frustrating, the feeling you get when everything is solved and working like it's supposed to is great.
But i seems Miyamori needs to solve things first and it seems Yano came back at just the right time so hopefully things will work out.

Can't wait till next week to see how things will work out.
Feb 12, 2015 12:04 PM

Mar 2008
Really enjoyable series but holy crap kunogi should just disappear
Feb 12, 2015 12:51 PM

Feb 2014
Ookura's trolling skills was strong against Miyamori. Loved her reactions too!

Kunogi might not talk much, but she can pull off some adorable expressions with ease <3.

Poor Miyamori though. Having one problem happen, then other problems occurring shortly afterwards like a domino effect is already putting her under heavy pressure, so thank goodness for Yano's return to Musashi. Hopefully she can help Miyamori with her small crisis and eventually get everything back in order. =D
Feb 12, 2015 12:58 PM

Feb 2012
Are the people working in anime industry really this carefree..? Everyone they try to co-operate are just slacking off
Feb 12, 2015 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
Ookura forgot about that he met Miyamori when he was drunk. Then he pretended to remember her the next day.
Feb 12, 2015 1:16 PM

Jul 2013
Yay! Yano is back! :D
Shaniyaz said:
Yano is back! Good news for Miyamori and bad for Taro.

Hahaha indeed.

All dat stress..
Feb 12, 2015 1:21 PM
Jun 2012
ErwinJA said:
Looks like the Titanic failure was everything we expected it to be -

Hardly fair to blame the studio as a whole. Their animators, supervisors, and PAs have done their job, the problem is with a specific person, the episode director. And it's not like musani haven't had problems with specific staff.

Paulo27 said:

Aria's seiyuu reminded me of Ace-kun when she was starting, and in a way also reminded me of Zuka-chan but we haven't seen much of the latter ;_;,

[...]

Still waiting for news from Zuka-chan though, I know you're going for the "things don't always work the way we want them to" message but poor Zuka. ;_;

It is interesting that they use Suzuki to display the woes of a new VA. One of the points of having five main characters is so they could show five aspects of the industry. As such I think we all expected Sakaki to land a role eventually. But now they're using this new character for that. So it might well be that Sakaki is there to illustrate that not everyone's dreams will come true.
Feb 12, 2015 1:47 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
SkyNoHoshi said:
That seiyuu in the studio, sounds like Kana Hanazawa or Hisako Kanemoto.
Definitely Kanemoto Hisako.

There will never be an anime production without problems lol. Poor Aoi, although she was overwhelmed by all the issues near the end, she at least tried to calm herself down and start with the little things they could do. Although the problem with the episode director in that Studio Titanic or wtv was something Aoi couldn't figure out. Good thing, Yano came in at the best time to help Aoi out!

Also, Ookura looked so serious and concentrated in the last scene. I hope we get to see his amazing work.
Feb 12, 2015 1:50 PM

Mar 2014
Mallony said:
Are the people working in anime industry really this carefree..? Everyone they try to co-operate are just slacking off
This is just PA's way of saying everyone but them sucks.

Helpme said:
Paulo27 said:

Aria's seiyuu reminded me of Ace-kun when she was starting, and in a way also reminded me of Zuka-chan but we haven't seen much of the latter ;_;,

[...]

It is interesting that they use Suzuki to display the woes of a new VA. One of the points of having five main characters is so they could show five aspects of the industry. As such I think we all expected Sakaki to land a role eventually. But now they're using this new character for that. So it might well be that Sakaki is there to illustrate that not everyone's dreams will come true.

Yeah, I don't mind it but it does take away a bit from it enjoyment-wise.
Feb 12, 2015 3:38 PM

Sep 2011
Mallony said:

I don't think that the issue is that everyone is carefree, but the fact that the animation industry in japan survives on exploiting low paid contractors, and organizing this must be a huge nightmare.

HOWEVER, there is one issue that Shirobako has consistently avoided throughout the series, and that is oversees outsourcing. Alot of inbetweening gets done in Korea and even in China and there is absolutely no mention of that at all in this show. I guess it is too much of a hit to the national pride of Japanese animators to admit they rely on Koreans!
Feb 12, 2015 3:44 PM

Dec 2010
You can practically feel that guy's disappointment at Ookura, especially sicne he looked up to him so much. Meeting your heroes is rarely as good as you think it will be.

Titanic is sinking more or less. Episode Director despite being overworked is still kind of a jerk, and no one is letting the Director forget Jiggly Jiggly Heaven.

I've been wondering for the longest time what the President even does on this show besides cook all the time. But there is apparently more to him than meets the eye. I wonder if we will get to see that at some point?

Ai Kunagi has progressed to the point where she can speak in Emoticons. Is this the second coming of Frau Kojiro?

Also, Yano returns! I'd know those thigh highs anywhere! Looks like she will be getting a promotion so to speak!
Feb 12, 2015 5:05 PM

May 2013
Looks like Miyamori is on the way to becoming a director, or at least some other high-ranked position. She's charismatic and hardworking, so it's a fitting position for her!

Woah, that's a nice technique in making her voice sound more natural.

Emi and Kunogi duo is cute <3

Geez Miyamori, you sure know how to get your way and really make people feel guilty xD

Everything's sucking again, haha, hang in there Miyamori!

Nice ending.
Feb 12, 2015 5:29 PM
Oct 2012
scruffykiwi said:
Alot of inbetweening gets done in Korea and even in China and there is absolutely no mention of that at all in this show. I guess it is too much of a hit to the national pride of Japanese animators to admit they rely on Koreans!

In so much that this show is about the problems with animation production, do you really think it would have been wise of them to open that can of worms?

Also, while what you wrote is true, many Japanese animations are done internally, including this one. So it again would be hard to fault them for using a foreign production company when the show itself did not use them. People would be asking what was the hidden meaning behind that if they did it.

Finally, it would sort of be hard for Miyamori to drive her car to South Korea or China.
Feb 12, 2015 5:59 PM

Oct 2012
In the two-episode OVA series, "Animation Runner Kuromi" (2001,2004), the
in-betweening was done "overseas" in some unnamed country. The small
studio had one room which had previously been occupied by the in-betweeners.
However, the boss explained to brand-new-employee Kuromi that all of the
in-betweeners had just quit because "Today's youth lack patience."

As a result, they were left only doing the key animation.

However, there was one touching scene where three cuts were not finished in
time to be shipped to the in-betweeners overseas. As a result, one of the
characters volunteered to do the in-betweening since she had done that early
in her animation career, and in fact had been highly respected for her work.

One very interesting common feature between "Kuromi" and "Shirobako" is
that the Production Assistants drive in an insane manner while going around
to pick up keys from those animators who work at home. So I suspect that
this part of the show is extremely close to reality.

Another aspect of the animation industry which "Kuromi" addressed well but
which "Shirobako" has (thus far) failed to mention is the risk to health due to
the extremely stressful work. Prior to freshly-graduated "Kuromi" being hired
as the new Production Assistant/Production Desk, the previous person had
been suffering from a very painful bleeding ulcer. The boss instructed him not
to die until a new Production Assistant could be hired. When Kuromi arrived
on the first day, after he explained the job to her, the previous Production
Assistant collapsed in pain and was then rushed away in an ambulance. Upon
meeting Kuromi, one of the existing employees told Kuromi coldly, "Don't die
until we can find a replacement for you."
okanaganFeb 12, 2015 6:35 PM
Feb 12, 2015 6:43 PM

Dec 2014
Come here, you little hamster, I'M GONNA PET THE SHIT OUT OF YA!

As if she is not cute enough, that toddler voice of her made her a weapon of mass destruction. She may not be competent, but sure is a sight for sore eye when you stuck in the production hell for 16 hours straight.
Feb 12, 2015 6:50 PM

Aug 2014
Whoa all this stress sure will make me go crazy...
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Feb 12, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2012
I rewound the scene over and over where Miyamori's face twisted into funny shapes as she got panicked when Ookura refuted her as a joke :D

And Kunogi's behaviours are so cute lol. Btw I can't help but wonder if Miyamori will begin some sort of an affair with that laid-back guy. Probably not as it's coming towards the end.
Feb 12, 2015 8:18 PM

Aug 2013
Yano back to save the day, just as the shit is hitting the fan.

Studio taitanic turned out to be the worthless shit show stoner dump that everyone predicted.

Asshole guy is still late to work again.

Zuka-chan...IS SHE EVER GOING TO GET HER VOICE ROLE ON TAGS?!?
Seriously...after that girl messing up in the beginning, I thought that was it. There is 6 episodes left. This show is going to get some serious flack for having a main character be completely useless and unneeded if she doesn't make any progress in the last 6 episodes.
Feb 12, 2015 10:58 PM

Nov 2012
omg all that stress. luckily yano is finally back to save the day.
Feb 13, 2015 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
Ganabre Miyamori!!
Feb 13, 2015 1:38 AM

Sep 2014
Erika (sexy face mole) is back! Help arrives just in the nick of time :)
Aoi-chan fighting! Shirobako is the best slice-of-worklife right now.
Feb 13, 2015 1:45 AM

Nov 2009
Kunagi7 said:
This moe drawing style is a bit weird when the characters are over fourty, they look too young, maybe P.A Works can't handle that well either :/?

http://sgcafe.com/2015/02/yukari-tamura-already-38-goo-ranks-top-20-voice-actresses-surprising-age/2/
MagicFlierFeb 13, 2015 1:53 AM
Feb 13, 2015 2:23 AM

Oct 2012
MagicFlier said:
Kunagi7 said:

http://sgcafe.com/2015/02/yukari-tamura-already-38-goo-ranks-top-20-voice-actresses-surprising-age/2/

They look really young, I didn't expect that :).
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Feb 13, 2015 2:38 AM

Apr 2012
MagicFlier said:
Kunagi7 said:
Hayashibara is such a babe.

Also yay, Yano!
EratiKFeb 13, 2015 2:59 AM
Feb 13, 2015 2:57 AM

Dec 2012
FAITO! Miyamori, and welcome back Yano
Feb 13, 2015 3:56 AM

Aug 2013
Yano to the rescue!!! :DD
Cute is justice.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2014

110 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

139 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

116 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

143 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

166 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.