Forum Settings
Forums
New
Yesterday, 1:02 AM

Jul 2023
Mine is 7. For me 7 is something not admirable but passable enough. After all, if I am watching or investing my time in something, it has to be at least 7 or I would drop it in midway.
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Yesterday, 1:04 AM

Feb 2020
"What is score of your average/ mid anime?"

5-7.
Yesterday, 1:18 AM

Apr 2013
5/10 is the average according to MAL itself.
I still think that 0/10 should be possibly, so 5/10 would actually be the middleground.
Yesterday, 1:24 AM

May 2019
For me a 6/10 anime is pretty average but numbers are arbitrary.
Yesterday, 1:38 AM

Jan 2013
6 is average. If it's below 6, I usually drop it after a few episodes and don't even add it to my list.
Yesterday, 1:48 AM

Dec 2015
1-4 - Negative
5-6 - Medium/Decent
7-10 - Positive
Yesterday, 1:49 AM

Jun 2016
10/2 is 5 so 5 is my average. I also actually use 1-4 unlike many users on this website so 5 makes sense.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Yesterday, 2:17 AM

Jun 2024
5-6 our average score only if I find a average show.
Yesterday, 2:30 AM

Sep 2018
Since 5/10 corresponds to 3/5 (if you can only use whole numbers, of course) which is a positive score, the scores I use for MID anime/mixed feelings are right below that. 3 is still barely watchable, 1-2 are for things I definitely dislike, usually dropped.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I care about distinguishing different levels of good more than different levels of bad; I do think that 4 should be something like "subpar" instead of "bad", there's no need for four synonyms of bad for the scores between 1 and 4.
Yesterday, 2:32 AM

Jan 2021
Yeah a 7 is an average show for me. I am too lenient when it comes to scoring anime.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Yesterday, 2:33 AM

May 2020
5. Maybe 5 is a little bit lower than mid (I guess it really depends what mid even means in precise terms), but that is fundamentally the flex point for when a show becomes "bad" for me.

I know a lot of people only use the 5-10 part of the scale so naturally 7 becomes the middle, but that's just a score inflation problem, they need to take a cold hard look at their list and realize their 7s are 5s and their 5s are 3s.
Yesterday, 2:39 AM

Feb 2014
7 cause I just feel kinda bad going lower than that lol
Yesterday, 2:45 AM
Sep 2022
5, there's a reason its called fucking mid
Yesterday, 2:47 AM

Jan 2021
5, it's the middle so it's simple enough.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Yesterday, 2:53 AM

Aug 2011
5 - 6

6 mostly for stuff that I felt was worth watching overall, despite being just so-so, and 5 for stuff that wasn’t totally awful, but I probably should have skipped.

7 is for enjoyable anime that I liked overall. They usually aren’t anything special, but I consider 7 to be a pretty positive rating. By MAL’s suggestion, 7 means “good,” so that’s how I try to use it.
palm-treeYesterday, 3:07 AM
Yesterday, 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
5, and in some cases a 6 if I do see noticeable value in the anime, 7 for me is where it gets to worth watching and recommending to others
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Yesterday, 3:34 AM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
My mid score is 3, kinda lower than the majority here.
Yesterday, 3:50 AM

May 2022
I do not watch mid anime. Simple as that.
Yesterday, 3:50 AM

Dec 2022
5 or 6. Since 5.5 is the numerical average between 1 and 10, both scores could be considered "average", since you could round up or down from whatever internal score you're giving a series on a decimal point system. At least, that's how I'm assessing my own list.

But, without being that donnish about it, 5 is listed as average in the MAL score drop-down menu, so may as well treat it as such.

Shaded Horizon

Yesterday, 3:52 AM

Dec 2021
Average and mid are two very different things for me. 6 means it's average (Or was good in some places, but made some offensive mistakes somewhere to lose the 9 or 8), 5 is literally the middle (So mid. It didn't do enough to make me feel anything above or below dead neutral towards it), and 4 is once something has actually pissed me off. 3 is when I'm calling the cops, 2 is when I'm saying fuck the cops and grabbing a knife, and 1 is when I just bribe North Korea to nuke Japan. Thankfully I've never found a 1... yet.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Yesterday, 3:53 AM

Mar 2016
My average/mid is 6. 7 is fine and 5 is bad.

Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Apr 2022
5 because it's literally mid, 6 is fine and 7 above is good. just as the mal labels intend.
Yesterday, 4:04 AM

May 2023
A score of 5 is average / mid for me...

I am asleep.. Good Night!
Yesterday, 4:14 AM

May 2018
For MAL, it's 7-8 for me :)
If average MAL score is around 5, I will change to 5 too, but it isn't for now
Nanami Hiromachi  Anna Mochizuki 
Yesterday, 4:17 AM

May 2024
5. Anything above that is either acceptable or good for me.
Yesterday, 4:59 AM
Sep 2013
I suppose it depends on what you'd define as mid or average.

If we're talking about the baseline for anime I think is good, then 7, as per the MAL description. I don't watch mediocre anime if I can see it coming. Who would?
1-4 is varying levels of bad.
5 is completely neutral. Not bad, but not good either. Not worth your time because of opportunity cost
6 is not bad/decent, but probably not worth watching again
7-10 is varying levels of good.
Yesterday, 5:12 AM

Jun 2010
It will depend on how you define average and mid score.. In MAL, the range is between 1 and 10, and each score tells you what it means. For me, my scoring is quite similar to the one in MAL.

Most of the series that I watch or read are pretty good. Occasionally there may be a couple of series that fall into the 6. But most of them are still 7 and above.
Yesterday, 5:13 AM

Jan 2009
5 is my average like mal says in its labels
Yesterday, 5:25 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to trinitroglycerin
I do not watch mid anime. Simple as that.
@trinitroglycerin it's really simple 😅

Yesterday, 5:32 AM

Oct 2021
I give mid shows a rating of either 6 or 7 out of 10.
Yesterday, 6:09 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to Ricchan__
I give mid shows a rating of either 6 or 7 out of 10.
@Ricchan__ tbh it's an idea scoring in my opinion.

Yesterday, 10:24 AM

May 2022
Reply to nirererin
@trinitroglycerin it's really simple 😅
@nirererin it really is. As i have a full Time job and a college degree to get i can't afford myself to power through mid anime like i used to during highschool.
Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Jan 2008
5 pr 6 for me
7 is something that's not perfect but was enjoyable and I'm glad I watched but not a favourite or a masterpiece
Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Mar 2021
6,0 is something that I already consider "ok". It's at least a bit good, more qualities than flaws, while a 5,0 is what I consider mediocre, or has as many flaws as qualities.
Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Jan 2020
5 of course, it is named average for a reason.
6 is above average but still not what I'd call good.
7 is for stuff I consider good but far from great.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Jul 2023
trinitroglycerin said:
@nirererin it really is. As i have a full Time job and a college degree to get i can't afford myself to power through mid anime like i used to during highschool.

Well, actually I raise my average score just beacause of this kind of reasons.

Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Oct 2022
5, just like MAL states.

Are 5s worth it? Maybe if you are into it or some character catch your eye, but be aware, it might be nothing else.
Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Apr 2024
5 is mid and 6 is not good but not mid at the same time
Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to eblf2013
eblf2013 said:

Pretty much the same here in terms of how a rate/score them.
Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Mar 2022
5/6 Is average for me but rating is subjective for people.

Seasonal Stuff i Rate like this, I dont tend to rate thing if I drop them cause there not to my taste as I dont feel I should rate them as I am probably not be fair to the anime.

3 = actually haven't rate this low yet.
4 = Managed one episode before dropping
5 = Average but got bored
6 = Average watched it all
7 = Good I look forward to watching it
8 = Watch it on release day
9+ = literally sat waiting for it to release to watch it
Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Jan 2018
6 is average. 7 is decent but worth your time/worth recommending to others. It's not average, because people enjoy it enough to finish it, but it doesn't have the sauce that makes it a super worthwhile watch. I personally rated Ragna Crimson a 9, despite major, major flaws in the story in it's second half. I found the premise well above average, and the execution of the first 12 episodes to be a 9 in my book. The way it ended in the last 3 episodes almost made the disappointment beforehand worth it. Almost.

But plenty of people see decent(a 7) as average and it is hanging out at a 7.54. I can definitely see why a bunch of people were unimpressed with the anime, but I cannot at all see how people think other anime are doing anything remotely like this story wise. Especially for a shounen anime.

I generally rate anime as an 8, mostly because I choose my anime carefully and most of them don't let me down. But those 7 anime are starting to take up a lot of space in my completed list.
Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Sep 2016
"What is score of your average/ mid anime?"

5-6
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Sep 2016
Gator said:
I still think that 0/10 should be possibly, so 5/10 would actually be the middleground.

I kind of agree, the only problem I see is that it would be kind of odd to have 11 possible options in a base 10 scoring system.
Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
Gator said:

I kind of agree, the only problem I see is that it would be kind of odd to have 11 possible options in a base 10 scoring system.
@Zarutaku I don't see the problem tbh. Usually I ask people "What's your opinion on X on a scale from 0 to 10". I never ask "on a scale of 1 to 10".
Yesterday, 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
If I liked it, 7
If I didn't like it, 5 or 6
Yesterday, 2:35 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to Gator
@Zarutaku I don't see the problem tbh. Usually I ask people "What's your opinion on X on a scale from 0 to 10". I never ask "on a scale of 1 to 10".
@Gator It's just kind of odd from a mathematical perspective, adding the 0 score would turn the system into a base 11 because there would be 11 different scores instead of 10.
If we compare it with the episode discussion scoring system which is base 5, then adding 0 as a 6th score means that instead of (5+1)/2 = 3 the average would be (5+0)/2 = 2.5 so it would be 0.5 below the defined average of 3 (the "OK" option) similar to how the average 5.5 of the base 10 system is 0.5 above the defined average of 5 right now.
But I don't know if it would cause any technical or statistical issues for MAL because adding the 0 score retrospectively could cause code errors and also lower the mean score of future anime, so comparing them with past anime could be less accurate.
ZarutakuYesterday, 5:15 PM
Yesterday, 3:03 PM

Jul 2013
I'm surprised that people even bother with that ratings nonsense.
Yesterday, 3:06 PM

Feb 2021
Mostly ranged from 5-6 but if it very good moments that were short lived and the whole anime was mid then maybe 7 in some cases

Yesterday, 3:07 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Gator It's just kind of odd from a mathematical perspective, adding the 0 score would turn the system into a base 11 because there would be 11 different scores instead of 10.
If we compare it with the episode discussion scoring system which is base 5, then adding 0 as a 6th score means that instead of (5+1)/2 = 3 the average would be (5+0)/2 = 2.5 so it would be 0.5 below the defined average of 3 (the "OK" option) similar to how the average 5.5 of the base 10 system is 0.5 above the defined average of 5 right now.
But I don't know if it would cause any technical or statistical issues for MAL because adding the 0 score retrospectively could cause code errors and also lower the mean score of future anime, so comparing them with past anime could be less accurate.
@Zarutaku I wish I had the mental fortitude to be so passionate about math 🗿

Yesterday, 3:17 PM

Apr 2015
It is a 6. That is fine. 5 if it goes a little trainwreck in the end.

7 are good anime. Have it moments it good moments, but that is all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have your favorite shows changed at all since the anime craze began?

RobertBobert - Aug 4

35 by Lost_Viking »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime episode length should be standard.

Kirika_Madeleine - 1 hour ago

2 by Lost_Viking »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are areolas so small in anime?

Anjuro - 14 minutes ago

0 by Anjuro »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Characters actually aging and growing older as the series goes on

TheBlockernator - Aug 3

14 by SawronZXZ »»
16 minutes ago

» Would you watch an anime with Hitler as the main character

JoeChip - 9 hours ago

33 by JustMaya »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.