Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2023 6:15 AM
Apr 2022
Me as a person who does not live in the US I can honestly say with a clean heart that crunchyroll is the worst site ever. 90% of animes i've searched on crunchyroll were on the site BUT not available in my country so if I want to watch them I have to spend money on a vpn (which I wont). So the only thing I can do about this is just watch on a dumb pirating site
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2023 6:17 AM

Feb 2020
Yup, I have to agree with you. :D........
Sep 3, 2023 6:41 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Meanwhile in bilibili ez af watch anything either popular show or seasonal anime like it

Sep 3, 2023 6:42 AM

May 2019
Yar har, fiddle de dee
Being a pirate is alright to be
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free
You are a pirate!

Sep 3, 2023 6:44 AM
Jul 2018
Why don't you use torrents?
Sep 3, 2023 6:48 AM

Jul 2022
I’ve only used Crunchyroll whenever I borrowed a friend’s account. It’s literally useless if you run the app on a TV because of the endless amount of ads that will play. The subs are alright but for older shows, I tend to prefer the fan subs. Remember those?

I definitely wouldn’t buy it, even if they did a promotion that it was “free” for a month or anything. Other sites provide a better selection and with less ads. Even legal platforms like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video are better, though I won’t be able to use these in the future because of password sharing preventing me from leeching off my parents after I move out. Fuck Netflix. I will not be paying for it.
Sep 3, 2023 6:54 AM

Mar 2019
Crunchyroll sucks, I go into their catalog and there are several anime that don't even have subtitles in my language. :v
Sep 3, 2023 7:01 AM

Oct 2022
I had a Funimation account for about six months right before Crunchyroll bought them out and still pirated so I cancelled it. Being a kid that started watching anime on cable T.V then Youtube and after was a bunch of sites that are no longer around any more for obvious reasons trying to go legit and legal was a bad experience and yes I live in the U.S and I still didn't use it most of the time. So I will probably never buy another subscription to a streaming service ever again.
Sep 3, 2023 7:04 AM

Feb 2021
Even a free vpn works tho, so I don't see how that's a problem for you.
Sep 3, 2023 7:22 AM

Jul 2023
I used to use Crunchyroll when it had the wait for an extra week rule where if you don't have an account, you have to wait for one more week after a new episode airs to watch it for free until the site stopped having it since Spring 2022.
I am using the best palette swap.
Sep 3, 2023 7:26 AM

Apr 2015
No offense, but no need to state the obvious.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
Sep 3, 2023 7:50 AM

Aug 2020
Crunchywoke is harsh with non americans...

Sep 3, 2023 7:59 AM

Jan 2023
You are using the internet wrong. Someone in this thread already pointed you in the right direction.
Lets play hangman

T _ _ _ _ _ T _
Sep 3, 2023 8:11 AM

Feb 2023
And I feel like Crunchyroll has gotten worse over the years. They were always bad, but have gotten progressively worse over the years. If they want to stop piracy, they should have actually accurate subtitles, better prices, and remove region locks.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that they should also stop censoring anime. They should give us all the uncensored versions.
ForgotEyeWasHereSep 3, 2023 9:17 AM
Sep 3, 2023 8:36 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to MadanielFL
@MadanielFL you're right. I'll probably Bite it and use a vpn. cuz I said the site is trash but it can be used under the right circumstances
Sep 3, 2023 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
Until a legal service is provided, that's better than piracy, I'll continue to sail the high seas.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Sep 3, 2023 9:07 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah, Crunchyroll's licensing is pretty bad outside of the US from what I have heard. Guessing htey only picked up the streaming rights for America and a few other countries for msot of their shows
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Sep 3, 2023 9:11 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
And I feel like Crunchyroll has gotten worse over the years. They were always bad, but have gotten progressively worse over the years. If they want to stop piracy, they should have actually accurate subtitles, better prices, and remove region locks.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that they should also stop censoring anime. They should give us all the uncensored versions.
@ForgotEyeWasHere I mean, that's pretty ironic considering pirate sites just steal the subs from Crunchyroll anyways...
Plus they did reduce the subscription prices while at the same time increasing their library in many countries.

I thought that was exactly what you wanted...?
Sep 3, 2023 9:45 AM
Reply to MadanielFL
@MadanielFL

That is a problem because it’s a hassle and why would you go out of your way to bypass geo restrictions to watch content on a site that didn’t even have the intention to make it available for you?

if an anime licensed exclusively by Cr has not been made available to you then just find other means to watch it.
Sep 3, 2023 10:07 AM
Mar 2023
Worse than yo momma🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 (sorry no hate)
Sep 3, 2023 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Fluffygreygrass
@MadanielFL

That is a problem because it’s a hassle and why would you go out of your way to bypass geo restrictions to watch content on a site that didn’t even have the intention to make it available for you?

if an anime licensed exclusively by Cr has not been made available to you then just find other means to watch it.
@Fluffygreygrass Exactly, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to give them money for an inferior service.
Sep 3, 2023 10:21 AM

Apr 2023
Yes, that´s one of the most annoying things about CR.
Sep 3, 2023 10:58 AM

Feb 2023
Reply to MadanielFL
@ForgotEyeWasHere I mean, that's pretty ironic considering pirate sites just steal the subs from Crunchyroll anyways...
Plus they did reduce the subscription prices while at the same time increasing their library in many countries.

I thought that was exactly what you wanted...?
@MadanielFL I forgot to mention this originally, but I also want for them to remove censorship in anime too. They censored Onimai really badly, and also did a horrible job with the subtitles; doing things like incorrect translations on purpose. Also while some do use Crunchyroll subs as a base, and sometimes straight-up steal them, many of them edit the Crunchyroll subtitles and correct them.

And if the pirates do steal Crunchyroll subtitles, I could always just find somebody else's subs to download, which will at least be slightly more accurate.

I should point out that I don't enjoy piracy. But it has become a necessary evil for everyone who doesn't live in Japan and know fluent Japanese, thanks to companies like Crunchyroll. And Crunchyroll only gives the animators a yen or two for about every thousand or so people that watch an anime, so it's not like I'm costing the Japanese companies too much; only Crunchyroll is really losing anything.
Sep 3, 2023 12:00 PM

Apr 2020
It was always bad and it became even worse. The same goes for the majority of streaming services
pk8listSep 3, 2023 12:44 PM
Sep 3, 2023 5:51 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
@MadanielFL I forgot to mention this originally, but I also want for them to remove censorship in anime too. They censored Onimai really badly, and also did a horrible job with the subtitles; doing things like incorrect translations on purpose. Also while some do use Crunchyroll subs as a base, and sometimes straight-up steal them, many of them edit the Crunchyroll subtitles and correct them.

And if the pirates do steal Crunchyroll subtitles, I could always just find somebody else's subs to download, which will at least be slightly more accurate.

I should point out that I don't enjoy piracy. But it has become a necessary evil for everyone who doesn't live in Japan and know fluent Japanese, thanks to companies like Crunchyroll. And Crunchyroll only gives the animators a yen or two for about every thousand or so people that watch an anime, so it's not like I'm costing the Japanese companies too much; only Crunchyroll is really losing anything.
@ForgotEyeWasHere No they didn't, stop spreading misinformation. Crunchyroll didn't censor Onimai, it was the Japanese producers in Japan who censored it.
We konw that because every single streaming service outside of Japan had the same censored version, unless you wanna tell me they all decided to censor the same show in the exact same way?

Also, what sources do you have that prove they only give "a yen or two for about every thousand or so people that watch an anime"?
Last time I checked, they literally produce anime, so I find this claim hard to believe.
Sep 3, 2023 5:54 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Fluffygreygrass
@MadanielFL

@Fluffygreygrass It's not like they have an option to stream that show in that region.

Most likely the show is already licensed there by another company, so they quite literally can't stream it in that region even if they wanted to.
Happens a lot in Asia with shows being already licensed by bilibili or some other company.
Sep 3, 2023 5:58 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Just Another crunchyroll hate thread on a boring Sunday night.. Nothing new..

Sep 3, 2023 6:02 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
There are lots of reputable browsers that provide free vpns, and most people just download torrent files or watch on free streaming sites...
So I will say that you are trolling or baiting people to comment by mentioning crunchyroll..

Sep 3, 2023 6:42 PM

Sep 2010
Reply to MadanielFL
@MadanielFL

Bypassing geoblocking with a VPN is as illegal as pirating so why even bother? If I already have a VPN I might as well just torrent it and get much better quality.
Sep 3, 2023 11:01 PM

Jun 2007
Reply to KousakaK
Until a legal service is provided, that's better than piracy, I'll continue to sail the high seas.
Regional unavailability is the only true "service problem" when it comes to piracy. Everything else boils down either to pricing or to vapid culture-war grievances.

@KousakaK And how do you propose they do that? Legal sites can't have a better selection, a lower price, or better subtitles, relative to pirate sites. They also can't do list-update integration with MAL and similar databases.

@ForgotEyeWasHere
Also while some do use Crunchyroll subs as a base, and sometimes straight-up steal them, many of them edit the Crunchyroll subtitles and correct them.

Source: "I completely made those numbers up."

As for the possibility of finding "better" subtitles, they're pretty rare, if they even exist at all. I checked around a dozen groups for OniMai awhile back, and only one made any changes at all. I checked around the same number for Tomo-chan is a Girl!, and all of them were straight CR rips. And the vast majority of pirates watch the straight rips, or the restreams/lower-quality re-encodes of them on pirate sites. Overall, most viewers don't actually care about subtitle quality, because they don't bother to seek out anything better. Let's also not forget about groups like Commie that often made official subs worse by adding memes, liberal rewrites, and even Twitch emotes in one case (Dagashi Kashi S1 ep 08).

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Sep 4, 2023 12:42 AM

Oct 2022
Yeah, that site is pretty useless to be honest.
Sep 4, 2023 1:30 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Petronel0
@MadanielFL you're right. I'll probably Bite it and use a vpn. cuz I said the site is trash but it can be used under the right circumstances
@Petronel0 DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, HE'S A KNOWN CRUNCHYROLL SHILL.
Use nyaa or any of the many other private torrenting sites instead.

@MadanielFL Crunchyroll has been treating thirdworlders as second class citizens for close to a decade now. The library outside the US is barely 1/10 of that in America even in countries where there are no other options for legal anime. America also has niche services like Sentai and Discotek to compliment Crunchyroll if their offerings are not up to your speed. Most of us don't. To say nothing of the prices that are absolutely exuberant or of subtitles that are filled with current day American politics that has absolutely no place in anime. And worst of all physical media isn't easily available either - you need an ABC Blu-ray player because of the GODDAMN REGION-LOCKING (and all-region players are thrice as expensive here), plus the high price of the anime you want to watch plus transatlantic shipping which is also insanely expensive for large orders.
You're in the USA, stop rubbing that fact in for all of us that have to resort to piracy as the one and only source for non-mainstream anime.
TheMechaManiacSep 4, 2023 1:46 AM
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 4, 2023 1:37 AM

Mar 2008
Problem with streaming services in general is exclusive content rights. Instead they should compete and quality of service and user interface and features not some locked content system no one wants.
Sep 4, 2023 1:53 AM

Oct 2021
Yeah, yeah, we know. No need to remind us.
Sep 4, 2023 2:50 AM

Apr 2018
If they had an app like Netflix it will be great to watch it on my Smart TV. Simple and quickly. That's the one "bad" thing i can say to crunchyroll.
Otherwise it's a pretty decent site.
People criticize easily and many of them pay nothing. So be more gratefull guys, crunchyroll help us indirectly by providing and paying license.

But i understand your frustration.
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Sep 4, 2023 3:17 AM

Dec 2019
Not to be mean or anything, but next time make a thread that doesn't have information everyone already knows ;D
Sep 4, 2023 5:20 AM

Apr 2015
Lol, the CR shills are here as usual. Seriously, how much do they pay you two to defend them?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
Sep 4, 2023 6:57 AM

Feb 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
@MadanielFL Crunchyroll has been treating thirdworlders as second class citizens for close to a decade now. The library outside the US is barely 1/10 of that in America even in countries where there are no other options for legal anime. America also has niche services like Sentai and Discotek to compliment Crunchyroll if their offerings are not up to your speed. Most of us don't. To say nothing of the prices that are absolutely exuberant or of subtitles that are filled with current day American politics that has absolutely no place in anime. And worst of all physical media isn't easily available either - you need an ABC Blu-ray player because of the GODDAMN REGION-LOCKING (and all-region players are thrice as expensive here), plus the high price of the anime you want to watch plus transatlantic shipping which is also insanely expensive for large orders.
You're in the USA, stop rubbing that fact in for all of us that have to resort to piracy as the one and only source for non-mainstream anime.
I mean, Cr is an American company, obviously the main service will be targeted to Americans, same thing for the other companies like Sentai and Viz.

If you don't wanna rely on an American company, then maybe they should just have their own streaming for your own country.
That's like me expecting bilibili from China to be providing service for us here in the states.

Also, how many examples of "subtitles that are filled with current day American politics that has absolutely no place in anime" do you have?
Most pirate sites already use Cr subs, and even on the comment sections there, I barely see anyone complaining about subs filled with "American politics", must be something you made up, or a clear exaggeration.

Tropisch said:
Lol, the CR shills are here as usual. Seriously, how much do they pay you two to defend them?
They aren't worse than the Muse Asia shills, that's for sure...
Sep 4, 2023 7:03 AM

Jan 2023
I'm from Argentina, and Crunchyroll has a super cheap price here ( u$s7 a year). It has a very good number of series, although I would like a couple more from the 90s.
Sep 4, 2023 7:10 AM

Oct 2013
I mean....Thats the case with pretty much every streaming site. They all have more or less content depending on where you live. Liscensing is a bitch.
Sep 4, 2023 7:14 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Serafos
Yup, I have to agree with you. :D........
And I agree with you friend. I prefer to pirate my videos than wath in a site that tries to be a communist.
Sep 4, 2023 7:16 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to FanofAction
I mean....Thats the case with pretty much every streaming site. They all have more or less content depending on where you live. Liscensing is a bitch.
@FanofAction Agreed.

Netflix is stupid and r*tarded while Chuchyroll is terrible after 2018, i prefer to pirate my videos and watch them with out listening to some fandom telling to support the ''official'' release when everybody pirates it regardless of what others try to defend. I was in the Yugioh community for a long time and this is what i can explain the most.
Sep 4, 2023 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to ateks
@MadanielFL

Bypassing geoblocking with a VPN is as illegal as pirating so why even bother? If I already have a VPN I might as well just torrent it and get much better quality.
ateks said:
Bypassing geoblocking with a VPN is as illegal as pirating

this is factually incorrect.

VPNs operate in a gray area. They are not illegal, but you're technically violating the terms of service. Now, I believe using a VPN is justifiable in the sense that you're contributing to the anime industry, either by having a paid subscription or by allowing ads to run. You don't see the government busting VPN operators for letting people stream Netflix from outside the country and even let VPN openly advertise this feature. Being legally permissible and being allowable within the terms of service are two different things. There are countries where VPNs are illegal though, such as Iran and North Korea.

Pirating on the other hand, is illegal in the sense there is an actual federal law prohibiting piracy. Now, you probably won't be hunted down by the FBI for downloading Spy x Family episode 34 in 4K using a torrent - the government has better things to do with their time and bigger fish to fry - but the fact is there is an actual codified federal law that prohibits piracy.

I do agree that downloaded anime offers a superior viewing experience though.

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 4, 2023 8:34 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to FanofAction
@FanofAction Copyright in general is just a fundamentally flawed concept.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Phasar2022
@FanofAction Agreed.

Netflix is stupid and r*tarded while Chuchyroll is terrible after 2018, i prefer to pirate my videos and watch them with out listening to some fandom telling to support the ''official'' release when everybody pirates it regardless of what others try to defend. I was in the Yugioh community for a long time and this is what i can explain the most.
@Phasar2022

I understand how easy it is to just say, "fuck this company, they suck" and I agree, none of them are perfect. But the fact is people ignore how much of a pain in the ass licensing is, especially since every country likely has different hoops to jump through. I dont know the specfics, but I know it isn't easy. And unfortunately, that makes piracy the more appealing choice for a lot of people. I fully agree that people shouldn't be preachy about only using legal services, because it just isn't a viable option for everyone.
Sep 4, 2023 8:39 AM

Feb 2013
I've only got it because a friend was kind enough to share their account. Frankly, it's... Okay. I mostly torrent anyways as most of the titles I'm interested in are not on there. But it works great on lazy evenings when I just want to potato on the couch and watch things on the big screen without moving. I mostly watch anime on my phone, during my commute or at the gym, so the app does add some convenience by letting me skip the ritual of transferring files from my laptop to my phone.

If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't bother.
Sep 4, 2023 8:56 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to JaniSIr
@FanofAction Copyright in general is just a fundamentally flawed concept.
@JaniSIr Oh yeah, 100% copyright law is a complete mess.
Sep 4, 2023 9:06 AM

Oct 2021
Well, Crunchyroll is mainly targeted at the Americans.
Sep 4, 2023 12:37 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@Petronel0 DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, HE'S A KNOWN CRUNCHYROLL SHILL.
Use nyaa or any of the many other private torrenting sites instead.

@TheMechaManiac I actually like the services. They're big cunts I get that but I don't even care. I'll gladly give them my 5€ because I definitely don't want to download anime. It's been years since I've used Bittorrent. I don't even know if that's what you guys use nowadays. Anyways Just so you understand I'm okay with getting fucked by a company or corporate or whatever as that's what we are all going through. The difference is I'm willingly getting fucked but who cares. My vpn costs me barely anything and to be honest I'm having fun and that's all I need for me to accept that I'm gonna get ripped off.
Jul 5, 11:14 AM

Jul 2020
@kodyjude People using chat gpt in mal now

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Any fans here who watch other stuff besides just anime?

Mattenan - Oct 1

46 by Alpha-Nine »»
14 minutes ago

» What settings make anime look high quality?

KitsuneZoro - 18 minutes ago

1 by KitsuneZoro »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you appreciate the weirdness of anime or is it something you just tolerate?

Anjuro - 39 minutes ago

1 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
22 minutes ago

» ☀️Summer'24: OP/ ED of the season & discussion

nirererin - Today

49 by Jackson1333 »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » production delays means better work or quality

deg - 6 hours ago

20 by JaniSIr »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.