Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2020 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
I noticed that this anime has a very high score. I'm thinking about trying it out, but from what I read the title that is airing right now is considered as 2nd season, so I guess I should start from the first season for better experience etc.

Can you tell me what's so good about this anime? I generally dislike "highschool romance" animes, so I'm worried I might not like it.

I know, you can write "just see it and judge by yourself, lol", but I want to ask fans of this anime first. Using that method of communication led me to watch several good titles about which I was skeptical at first. :)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 19, 2020 6:07 PM
Apr 2018
I don't find anything so good in this anime but, at the same time, is incredibly celebrated. In my opinion is an average rom-comedy. So, I'm curious about the fan opinions too.
Apr 19, 2020 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
It's sort of like Death Note but with a rom-com twist. Very bombastic over-the-top narrator and mind games that are pretty funny. Characters are great and most jokes land
Apr 19, 2020 6:25 PM

Sep 2011
The answer is really just simply its really funny and has a pretty unique style of humor, the reason the manga is so beloved is cause of alot of stuff the anime wont get into till this season but the series overall has some of the best character development in a series and has a really heartwarming overarching theme of seeing people with absolutely horrendous lives overcoming the traumas plaguing them and the negative character flaws that those traumas gave them. It adds a pretty massive boost to the series past just being funny. You genuinely get attached to these characters and their relationships overtime and it thankfully understands that not every development needs to revolve around romance to progress some of these relationships though alot of that is still to come for the anime

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 19, 2020 7:06 PM

Feb 2018
Well, first of all it's a refreshing romcom, since it's not a romance with a harem and some gags nor its a comedy with (basically) no romantic progress. We have legitimate and lasting romantic progress while laughing at their antics, season 2 episode 2 illustrates this perfectly.

This brings us to the second point, great cast, all members of the cast have a deep character with room to growth and they all grow, they all are still developing in the manga, actions have consequences, they learn from the past and they strive to be better.

The third is realism, while yes, somethings are over the top, and yes who the hell would try to make someone else confess before this? But this series has a lot of relatable moments and believable scenarios It pushes your empathy button, basically.

If I keep going I may never stop so, fourth and last, about the anime especificaly, the voice acting, sound direction, animation and editing are God-tier, like, seriously, it's been years since I was so surprised by the sheer quality of an anime, maybe since One Punch Man? Houseki no Kuni?.... Anyway outside action series and movies, the production of Kaguya-sama is probably the best one out there.

I may have been too concise in fear of being too prolix, but others will fill in the gaps.
Apr 19, 2020 8:02 PM

Jan 2018
Comedy is a pretty big crap shoot in all honesty. I feel like Chika did a lot to bolster the popularity in season 1. If it's faithful to its source, that could explain why people respect it. Personally, I find the humor to be ok, and with comedy centric series, your reception to the humor will make or break it for you. I guess it's just struck the fancy of a lot of people's taste.
What a beautiful Duwang
Apr 19, 2020 8:03 PM

May 2017
It's pretty funny when it needs to be and the characters are endearing
Apr 19, 2020 8:20 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Although I didn't watch the second season yet, I did watch the first, and I'm up to date with the manga.
Here are the main reasons why I think its amazing:

Great and refreshing comedy. It isn't the type of comedy you would generally see in other shows. Also, the jokes are hilarious and don't get old.

Character development. This anime/manga has some of the best character development. To avoid spoilers, I'll just leave it at that, but trust me when I say that there is a lot of character development. Especially in the manga recently.

A romance that has development. Again, to avoid spoilers, I'll leave it at that.

Finally, it's amazing. Nothing else to say.
Apr 19, 2020 8:41 PM

Jul 2013
The romance stuff is alright, But the comedy does it for me.

Apr 19, 2020 9:01 PM

Jul 2019
Cause it's kinda unique. Two people trying to make each other fall in love with each other but that's the whole plot. And the cute characters
Apr 19, 2020 9:09 PM

Aug 2018
i think a lot of it's popularity is due to the comedic aspect being more prominent than the typical highschool rom-com which makes it OK for dudes worried about their manly reputation being tarnished for liking sappy emotional stuff
Apr 19, 2020 9:11 PM

Oct 2017
It's basically Tsundere L and Light trying to get the other to confess in the most over the top mind games imaginable. The main draw is the comedy not necessarily the romance at first granted that starts to get better. The main reason though is the comedic situations and how the characters interact with each other. Depends on how much you find over exaggerated melodramatic situations funny. There is a bit of dry humour as well.

The problem with comedy that is very hit or miss so you either are going to like it or hate it/find it boring. Personally I think this is one of the better comedy series I have seen in anime but to others it isn't that funny. For instance I have encountered those that love Daily Life of HS Boys which people praise the comedy but I mostly found dull outside of a few jokes. So it's really going to be about how much you enjoy the personality of the characters and the humour. The romance isn't the biggest draw though you kinda get more into it over time. Honestly it's not until the last episode of S1 where you actually see it play to any common elements of a HS romance anime so even if you don't like shows like that I still would give it a look.

If you want to know a drop point where I would recommend watching up to it would be around when Yu Ishigami gets introduced. I would argue that is when the series started getting really good but that may be because I just really love his character the most.
BilboBaggins365Apr 19, 2020 9:18 PM
Apr 19, 2020 10:22 PM

Feb 2018
Adnash93 said:
I noticed that this anime has a very high score. I'm thinking about trying it out, but from what I read the title that is airing right now is considered as 2nd season, so I guess I should start from the first season for better experience etc.

Can you tell me what's so good about this anime? I generally dislike "highschool romance" animes, so I'm worried I might not like it.

I know, you can write "just see it and judge by yourself, lol", but I want to ask fans of this anime first. Using that method of communication led me to watch several good titles about which I was skeptical at first. :)

Wow!! just read some reviews or go to youtube 😂.
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Apr 20, 2020 8:35 AM

Jan 2020
Watch it , the character lived the series so much , the comedy is gold , even if this a regular SoL anime it always give you curiosity on what will happened in next episode
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Apr 20, 2020 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
A lot was already said, so I keep it simple and brief

- the premise and how it's executed is such a breath of fresh air
- likeable characters and amusing dynamics
- great production, you can really feel the passion and joy

Bonus works extremely well as weekly watch

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 20, 2020 8:57 AM

Dec 2016
I don't know really, to me the premise felt incredibly forced, unnatural, only for the sake of "feeling fresh, look how different I am", which in the end only derived into heavily backfiring.

The characters also were annoying af, especially that airhead doll. I really couldn't watch this, dropped it early on.
Apr 20, 2020 9:23 AM
Feb 2019
Ferien said:
I don't know really, to me the premise felt incredibly forced, unnatural, only for the sake of "feeling fresh, look how different I am", which in the end only derived into heavily backfiring.

The characters also were annoying af, especially that airhead doll. I really couldn't watch this, dropped it early on.

It's one thing to dislike a show, but I don't get people who go to a season 2 forum and announce how they dropped the show ages ago like it's some badge of honor.
Apr 20, 2020 9:29 AM

Dec 2016
Muchmoneys said:

It's one thing to dislike a show, but I don't get people who go to a season 2 forum and announce how they dropped the show ages ago like it's some badge of honor.

The topic showed up in the Anime Series Discussion panel in the forum homepage, and I felt inclined to share my opinion as a regular user of the forums. Nothing more, nothing less, if you interpret things other way that's your business.
Apr 20, 2020 9:39 AM
Feb 2019
Ferien said:
Muchmoneys said:

The topic showed up in the Anime Series Discussion panel in the forum homepage, and I felt inclined to share my opinion as a regular user of the forums. Nothing more, nothing less, if you interpret things other way that's your business.

Alright I was mistaken then. It's just something I've observed for a lot of anime all over MAL and some other forums.
Apr 20, 2020 10:59 AM
Oct 2019
Adnash93 said:

This is the best rom com out there. No harem. Excelent character development and comedy. It's amazing
Apr 20, 2020 12:12 PM

Jul 2014
Comedy is a pretty big thing in this era, look at how Gintama and KonoSuba are so loved by people, its practically the same with Kaguya.
Apr 20, 2020 12:27 PM

Feb 2019
It's funny, the romance is good, the characters are good, and the production is good
Apr 20, 2020 2:08 PM

Apr 2010
No idea. I sometimes skipped a lot of scenes in the first season due to poor comedy. Yes I get it, they're trying to do stupid shits to make the other admit that he/she loves her/him, but that's plain stupid. Anyway maybe I kinda liked it better toward the end when they were both more honest with their feelings
Apr 20, 2020 5:54 PM
Apr 2020
People like it cause they’re horny and want to see high school love
Apr 20, 2020 9:24 PM
May 2018
SentenceGuy said:

I think if you're horny this isn't what you're gonna watch
Apr 20, 2020 9:57 PM

Feb 2013
I love the manga because it does whatever it sets out to do perfectly, and defies the standards of normal romcom with amazing character development and an overarching plot that every chapter gives more meaning and substance towards. It mixes comedy and drama well.

I love the anime because it's a perfect adaptation of the manga. Season 1 isn't shit compare to what's to come and it's still great for what it is. Only gets better.
Apr 21, 2020 2:16 AM

Oct 2018
SentenceGuy said:

If I'm horny, I'm not gonna be watching a lighthearted rom-com, believe me.
Apr 21, 2020 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
>Good comedy
>A god-tier director
>Amazing voice actings

These are my reasons to like Kaguya-sama. Most of its fans are like psychological-romantic wars between main couple too but I didn't like most of these "wars" in the first season. However, season 2 started very good. "Wars" in the first two episodes were very fun imo.
Apr 21, 2020 4:03 AM
Feb 2016
The comedy is not that tasteful, it strives high but it's actually pretty flat.
I honestly don't understand what people see in this show. It was very average and annoying at first but my perspective changed a bit after the last episodes of season 1. Most characters are loud af and make my head hurt.

I am mainly watching it for Kaguya alone since I love her character alone and also generally enjoy slow burn romance. Also it's quite creative with every episode being battle like.
Also the Chika dance.

DepressitaApr 21, 2020 4:07 AM
Apr 21, 2020 10:52 AM

Oct 2010
I still don't know after the first season and episodes 1 of second season, but I'll continue watching it
Apr 21, 2020 10:54 AM

Feb 2017
it is pretty ok, the humor and comedy is pretty weird sometimes, it deserve 8 at max

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 21, 2020 7:59 PM

Oct 2013
Big thanks to all people who responded to my post! Alright, I'm gonna check out Season 1 then. It sounds quite refreshing and from what you wrote it is actually very entertaining. I can't tell if I will like it or not (obviously, I haven't started it yet, lol), but I think this title deserves to be at least checked out by me and I have a feeling I might enjoy it. Thanks again. :)
Apr 21, 2020 11:50 PM

Feb 2019
I dropped the first season but after reading some of these comments I've decided to give it a second try.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Apr 29, 2020 11:20 AM

Jul 2017
I used to be a big fan of this but it just got very stale, repetitive and the characters went backwards for me in terms of quality, which is a shame.

But when it came to my initial appeal, it's just the characters back early on were likable and had charm. Simple but efficient. Sadly after consuming it for a long time, I just got mentally exhausted with how repetitive it became and even the bigger parts lost impact for me.
Apr 29, 2020 11:23 AM

Mar 2016
I'm gonna be honest here when I say I recommend the anime more than the manga, cause the latter does feel VERY stretchy and dragged (literally nearing 200 chapters right now). The adaptation cutting out certain parts of the source material actually helps here, imo, though I know a few people here on this thread who are adamant about their critical views on both, regardless.
May 3, 2020 12:26 AM
Aug 2018
It’s ok that you don’t like the series but what were you expecting, you said you seen the first season already so it’s not like you never heard of it and you are genuinely curious what’s good about it, and you don’t like the first season so you should just leave the fans of this series alone and just say “I don’t get it but good for them” and walk away because especially with a series with this much praise and popularity it seems obvious why people like it and any fan of any series hates threads like these where you see some idiot dissing your favorite shows so if you can I suggest deleting this thread because some people are going to get seriously judgmental
May 3, 2020 12:35 AM
Mar 2019
While I do personally disagree with every single one of your points, and found season 1 to be surprisingly nuanced in its character development, I can recognize that some people are just not going to enjoy this brand of humor; in that case, I'd suggest dropping the show entirely - nobody is going to be able to convince you that the series is "good", so there's no point in watching it if you've already seen an entire season of it.
May 3, 2020 1:16 AM

Nov 2019
@LoganMcClure21

But like I said, I just realized how big it is in Japan and now internationally, didn't know back then when I watched S1 weekly when it was airing

@asukka

I updated my #5 point, was incomplete
May 3, 2020 9:54 AM
Apr 2019
Comedy is subjective, and if you don't see what people like about it it's probably not your thing. I personally disagree with your points, but you don't have to force yourself to watch it because the score is so high.
May 3, 2020 10:33 AM
Nov 2016
Well people have different opinions of what they think is funny beacause comedy is subjective, but yea my opinion on the show is similar to yours, i didnt really find the show all that funny and i know people are gonna flame me for this lmao but i dont care go ahead and say my taste is shit for all i care, but yea i agree with the points you made this show maybe isn't just for me
May 3, 2020 10:33 AM
Apr 2020
Copying a bit from a reply on another similar thread but basically, if you didn't like Kaguya initially, that's pretty normal. When the original manga series was translated, it didn't have a huge success. For reference on reddit, the series started really small: https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/aiwm9x/karma_trend_of_kaguya_wants_to_be_confessed_to/.

I think the huge reputation it has now in the manga community, to me at least, is a testament to Kaguya's writing in that it's one of the rare shows that becomes better over time rather than fade into mediocrity like a good chunk of other series that started with more popularity.
May 3, 2020 11:02 AM

Aug 2013
It doesn't have endless amounts of waifubait orbitting around Shirogane to hook people into talking solely about which girl he's gonna end up with and establishes both main characters fancy each other from the very beginning so it hooks you with entertaining scenarios and character dynamics instead.

You not finding said dynamics entertaining is fine but is also entirely a you-thing.
May 3, 2020 11:48 AM

Feb 2019
I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you've said. It seems you were not paying much attention or you just don't wanna see the progression of the story

Also, thanks for the fucker who gave spoilers in this thread without tagging it properly

Nonetheless, I think comedy is the most subjective thing ever, so it's fine you don't find it funny
May 3, 2020 6:31 PM

Nov 2019
@DamnThatsTheSpot

Bro wym? The scenarios are the same, just repeating

1.either kaguya or shirogane will have a plan
2.the plan either will work or didn't
3.Narrator will say who win, sometimes both win sometimes both lose
4.rinse and repeat

One dimensional, they still won't know they're in love with each other, both still won't confess
May 3, 2020 6:42 PM

May 2015
It's amazing how wrong you are.

May 3, 2020 7:23 PM
Oct 2015
this is just another bait post that we always see in the popular series every season
May 3, 2020 7:30 PM
May 2018
YggdraSEED said:
So I've heard it's really popular in Japan and internationally too but I've seen season 1 and caught up in the latest episode and I still find this average at best

1. The romance barely progress
2. The jokes are unfunny
3. The characters aren't likeable but at the same time not hateable at this point I feel nothing but indifference
4. there was a bit of drama in S1 but it was shallow that it wasn't worth having a conclusion
5. Overall one dimensional, we know it'll be intellectual battle someone wins or draw rinse and repeat but neither kaguya or shirogane will succumb to confessing or even know they're in love with each other for who knows how long the manga goes on and only until it's about to end

1 and 5 is the point of a RomCom, and if that bothers you then you're watching the wrong genre. 2, 3 and 4 are highly subjective. To me, some of the jokes in Kaguya-sama are some of the best I have ever seen in Anime. I'm in love with all of the characters, and I found the drama towards the end of the first season to be brilliantly written. But if that's how you feel, there's only one obvious piece of advice I can give you: Drop it. People like different things, this is not for you, so leave it and watch something else.
May 3, 2020 7:32 PM
Feb 2019
I have read the manga. Might be but spoilers but I guess you wouldn’t mind too much.

1. Factually wrong
2. Subjective
3. Subjective
4. Subjective but the drama does have consequences
5. Factually wrong, I mean even in s1 not every episode is an intellectual battle.
May 3, 2020 9:37 PM

Oct 2018
Patience young padawan. If ya expect the romance to progress within 12+ episodes in a 180+ chapter manga then I'm afraid I got some bad news. How's that gonna work? By rushing through the plot, the pay off wouldn't be as satisfying. Btw the repetitive premise is only prominent for the early parts of the manga. The focus shifts more to drama in the middle. If you compare the first 10 chapters to the current ones, the difference is night & day. The mind games & jokes are there to set up the aforementioned dramatic arcs. It's there to get us to know these characters more & grow attachment to them when shit hits the fan. I suggest you give this season a chance until it ends then make up your mind. If you don't like 'em it's fine. You don't need to force yourself to watch everything. It ain't a competition
~Spiritual Healing~

May 3, 2020 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Publicly hating on popular things doesn't make you an interesting person.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2020

372 by Xeehad »»
Aug 29, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

godcanute - May 3, 2020

204 by Xeehad »»
Aug 28, 3:01 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Jun 20, 2020

671 by _untitled »»
Aug 7, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

258 by _untitled »»
Aug 6, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2020

246 by _untitled »»
Aug 3, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.