Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2009 1:55 PM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Intense episode.

Amuro gunning down enemy soldiers in a rage and blowing up some remote base just for lulz.

And all in front of his pacifist mother, too. I'm impressed that they showed the misbehaviour of the "good side"'s soldiers. Never would have expected accurate depictions of the nastiness of war from a series about giant robots with lazers.
Jul 9, 2010 2:14 AM

Aug 2009
I really felt for his mother ='[

I'm surprised by the emotional depth of this series so far.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 25, 2010 4:56 PM

Apr 2009
What part of "this is a goddamn war" doesn't that idiot of a mother understand? Oh well nice episode and all but the series needs more Char...
Jul 28, 2010 11:05 AM

May 2008
Does she really call herself a mother? She only stayed on Earth because it was more convenient and she let off Amuro and her husband like nothing. She even said that she hadn't raised Amuro like that. Like what, seriously? He shot because it's better than being shot. Amuro's mother is sure pathetic~
Oct 12, 2010 8:08 AM

Aug 2009
Pheefa said:

I'm surprised by the emotional depth of this series so far.

Me too, I was expecting something fairly shallow and melodramatic but wow! This show has a great story
Dec 13, 2010 10:55 PM

Sep 2009
WELL....Part of me had to agree with Amuro's mother after he decided to pull the whole...
"Hey! A midair docking test in the middle of combat. FUN!"
Feb 18, 2011 4:24 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know, something just seemed..off in this episode. It was probably the characterization of Amuro's mother, it's a little to overly obvious that the episode used her as a plot device and didn't give her depth. However, I was pleasantly surprised when Amuro shot the guy through the blanket but less so with the episode as a whole.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 17, 2011 2:04 PM

Sep 2008
Its understandable why a mother would act that way, except she should be more concerned about Amuro's safety rather than how he's killing people. That wouldve made her character more believeable I think. Great ep in any case
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 15, 2011 12:58 PM

Nov 2010
To me, I felt like the mother's reaction after Amuro shot the soldier was a little funny... That supposedly neutral refugee camp harbors a soldier, is found out, and his partner gets away to tell the others.

Didn't she get the idea that there would be repercussions if the guy made it back to the base?

I guess it doesn't matter now that the base has Gundam footprints all over everything!
Jun 15, 2011 1:14 PM
Mar 2011
one of my fave anime Episodes ever
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 21, 2011 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
Amuro mother reaction was so normal
remember that was the 70's hipes was annoying as hell back thin and thy was thinking thy COOL

that my theary she hipy

other thing i still sprise how these anime get better and better
evry time i think there no room to be better it get even more depth and stronger
if you get away the fack that the art is so old and to many stock fotige O~O
Dec 11, 2011 5:16 AM
May 2011
War. Is. Terrible. Amuro continues losing sanity.

insan3soldiern said:
I don't know, something just seemed..off in this episode. It was probably the characterization of Amuro's mother, it's a little to overly obvious that the episode used her as a plot device and didn't give her depth. However, I was pleasantly surprised when Amuro shot the guy through the blanket but less so with the episode as a whole.

I would agree that something felt off.

I'm watching dubbed, and the whole exchange of "Mother, don't you understand this is a war" "I didn't raise you to be like this" "You're a liar mother" "Amuro how could you be so cold" seemed really awkward. Poor translation? Or maybe just dialogue that didn't really fit what was on screen?

Amuro's human side continues to show, in great contrast to the mainstream modern anime I watch (Bleach, Naruto). It's ironic how the oldest anime that I've ever watched has nearly the most complex character (I would say Lelouch from Code Geass is more complex).
Oct 2, 2012 6:52 PM
Jul 2010
JuicyBuddha said:

Amuro gunning down enemy soldiers in a rage and blowing up some remote base just for lulz.

If you seriously think he did it "just for lulz" then I recommend you to watch it again since it seems you understood nothing.

sayami said:
Does she really call herself a mother? She only stayed on Earth because it was more convenient and she let off Amuro and her husband like nothing.

They never explained why she stayed on Earth and I really doubt it was because "it was more convenient for her" to be honest.
Dec 22, 2012 5:43 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:

I thought it was a fairly solid episode this time around. I think Amuro's mother had pretty suspect characterization....but I guess Tomino wasn't trying to make her sympathetic. I just wish the series would have went the grey route with her that it has for most part with most other characters (like the leader of Zeon showing sadness over his son's death, which further humanized him). Though, I do agree with his mom in a way....I think when it's kill or be killed like this it's kind of different.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 10, 2014 12:17 PM

Sep 2013
Wow that was a really emotionally strong episode. Actually upped my current score from 6 to 7 for this show.I really felt the mom there, everything felt very realistic. Hope to see more great scenes like this, and I've heard Zeta Gundam has those, so looking forward to it.

sayami said:
Does she really call herself a mother? She only stayed on Earth because it was more convenient and she let off Amuro and her husband like nothing. She even said that she hadn't raised Amuro like that. Like what, seriously? He shot because it's better than being shot. Amuro's mother is sure pathetic~

I knew someone would think like this. But hey, if you had a child who you had grown with since he was a baby, suddenly seeing him killing a couple of guys like nothing would be a bit jarring. That was realistic, nothing else.

I'm sick of the anime that make everyone accept someone they know KILLING someone like nothing. Killing is always a crime, no matter the situation.
cupcFeb 10, 2014 12:23 PM
Feb 28, 2014 10:38 AM

Mar 2013
Amuro can be a pretty intense asshole when he's angry. Damn.

Also, this is the very first episode without Char!
Jun 4, 2014 12:29 AM

Jul 2009
Another ace episode :)

Sayla and Mirai on swimsuits!! Sayla is soo hot X__X

It's pretty fucked up on how your home was just invaded by some random drunken federation officers.

Surprise they didn't steal anything.

Finally Amuro's mom!!! To be honest Amuro should have changed to civilian clothes just so he could have hide with the soldiers much better.

Amuro can be pretty crazy!! Understandable since the enemy is about to kill him.

He even went crazy and empty his clip!!

I lol'd when his mother said "Amuro wasn't like that back then" "It's probably because he was raised by a man"

ahh 1980s!!

Amuro pretty much destroyed the base!! I'm surprise Bright didn't Bright slapped him.

I think the reason why the dialogue kinda feels weird is because the scenes are being rushed. Only at the end where Amuro and his mother were able to talk properly for the last time.

I hope she stays alive on the end. Amuro probably misses her after seeing her all these years.

Can't wait for the next episode!!!
Aug 1, 2014 6:56 PM

Apr 2013
Char is on vacation.
Dec 7, 2014 3:19 AM

Mar 2014
Man, man, man! This episode!
This episode was intense!
::End of Transmission::

Mar 26, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
No Char today T_T
His mom's reaction was understandable.
Jun 12, 2015 8:04 AM

Dec 2011
Why do so many people seem to complain the lack of presence of Char Aznable starting from this episode and before the White Base reaches Europe? -_-

In any case, I can see the conflict between pacifist people and those that think fighting is a necessary solution, just like in real life... and Amuro is firmly on the latter side.

I actually love the scene when Amuro wrecks havoc on the Zeonic base likely poisoning the camp his mother is in. It was awesome, and Zeon is not to be forgiven anyway since they destroyed Earth horribly in the name of independence and "justice". Sorry, fans of Zeon and Char, but because of their actions, I don't have any kind of sympathy for Zeon. To me, the Earth government may be flawed and corrupt, but the Zeon government is far worse.
raidenwarriorJun 12, 2015 8:08 AM
Sep 14, 2015 7:19 AM

Jun 2009
His mother sure is on a high horse there.
Sep 25, 2015 5:48 AM

Dec 2013
LOLOLOLOL
Dec 17, 2015 2:59 PM
Nov 2015
Yeah, the "good guy" troops behaving terribly in town was great and actions like that may have jaded Amuro's mom to the necessity of war. When everyone is acting terribly, you don't see justice prevailing you just see death. I feel for her. Also watching your son go full psycho and unloading a clip at a guy and sill pulling the trigger after the clips empty,modest really out your heart at ease that your son is n a good place. Amuro is deeply wounded, and the show's refusal to white wash that is part of what makes it so good.
Apr 21, 2016 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
Apparently on this occasion is Bright to stand out along with Amuro, the first, does not regard the material time that is allowed, but what about his skills as a commander, apparently Amuro gets picked up by the war and the rest is not far behind. The end so stingy with sentimentality, amazes me, it is not the usual heated soup and also the Bright behavior is out of the ordinary.
WOW
It also affects the reaction of Amuro's mother, after seeing how he behaves towards soldiers of Zeon, really unexpected that behavior, but in line with a peace person, this commendable realism of the screenplay.
May 21, 2016 1:13 AM

Jul 2008
So the Mom doesn't write her son at all for seven years, decides to stay on Earth because it's convenient and when her son tries to save everyone and was forced into the war she says she is ashamed of him?

Well maybe if she stuck around things would have been different.
Jul 14, 2016 4:37 PM

May 2012
Damn what an episode! Really intense and well I understand both side of mother and son but it indeed is quite sad :(
Sep 2, 2016 6:44 PM

Feb 2012
The dialogue between Amuro and his mother felt so ridiculous, but it was still a cool moment. It does make this anime feel really old.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
0 Mobile Suit kills this episode
16 kills total.
Apr 7, 2017 4:00 PM

May 2015
Damn you, onion cutting ninjas ;_;

The last scene of this episode was a killer. I'd want to have that shot as a print or something, it's just so captivating.
Jul 26, 2017 5:00 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah.. the mom really pissed me off in this episode. It was nice to see Bright talk to her about Amuro being a great soldier.
Aug 18, 2017 6:13 AM
Jul 2017

She was brutal. He's at war, and she wishes he was still playing with his dolls. Maybe she should have traveled to space to be with her family instead of living alone. Understandably though, she's a bit shocked. A Zeon just got rekt in front of her face by her son. Last time she saw him, he was playing with Gunpla.

Can I have some chocolate?
Mar 16, 2018 3:51 PM

Nov 2016
Soldiers were like jerks and Amuro seemed like he needed to blow of some steam.

Hurting a mother like this is just....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 22, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2018
Best episode in the series so far!
May 27, 2018 5:35 PM

Jun 2014
Amuro meets his mother for the first time in years, but she doesn't appear to like what he has become. Unfortunately, Earth is not at peace, and without Amuro and Gundam, things will never get better, so Amuro must continue piloting Gundam for everyone's sake. Hopefully a day will come when Amuro's mother will understand.

Mar 8, 2019 1:59 AM

Feb 2017
A strained mother and son reunion, which serves as a good vehicle for Amuro's character development.
Jun 23, 2019 3:39 AM

May 2019
Why didn't Amuro's sister go with Amuro to visit their mother? She was completely absent from the episode. why? otherwise, really good episode.
Jun 26, 2019 8:53 PM

Dec 2010
Yobama99 said:
Why didn't Amuro's sister go with Amuro to visit their mother? She was completely absent from the episode. why? otherwise, really good episode.

If you mean Fraw that's not his sister shes his childhood friend.
Jun 26, 2019 10:07 PM

May 2019
Oh. Thanks for clearing it up.
Mar 1, 2020 8:06 AM

May 2018
ngl amuro's mother is kinda retarded.

But not as retarded as those damn refugees
Mar 1, 2020 8:18 AM

May 2018
laughterjones said:

She was brutal. He's at war, and she wishes he was still playing with his dolls. Maybe she should have traveled to space to be with her family instead of living alone. Understandably though, she's a bit shocked. A Zeon just got rekt in front of her face by her son. Last time she saw him, he was playing with Gunpla.

Can I have some chocolate?

you will never get your chocolate pesky child
Sep 8, 2020 10:40 PM

Jul 2017
This was a hard-hitter with scenes of Federation pilots causing a lot of trouble and Amuro causing trouble in his own way. His mom was really upset. It fits well with the Bildungsroman nature of this story. Also, I guess Amuro is European?
Sep 26, 2020 9:44 PM

Aug 2017
This episode still shows that every side is flawed. Amuro made something rash but it was necessary if he wanted to survive, I like that. My only issue in this episode was that the call conveniently happen when the guards were there.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 4, 2020 7:21 PM

Jun 2016
I have gotten emotional to the series before, but this was the most I've been yet. There was something incredibly effective by showing Amuro's childlike smile and excitement as he raced to see his mom. It was like the first time I've noticed him like that. But quickly, his violent side clashed with this childlike sentiment. It made me regret that Amuro is losing the possibility to be a kid and it was specifically his line: "would you rather they got me?!" where my tears kicked in. Poor Amuro, I really like this character. Sympathetic as heck, I want the best for him.

This seems to mark Amuro fully embracing life as a soldier. His mom stated that she was ashamed of him whereas, to contrast, Bright said that they were proud of him. It is clear where he belongs. Although, depicting his mom working at a refugee camp, surrounded by awful soldiers on both sides, it makes sense why she may think Amuro turned into those she opposes.

On a tension note, I felt the tension like I haven't in awhile. By having conflict on land and surrounding civilians like this made me think back to episode 1. The ways things could go horribly wrong were many and the soldiers approaching Amuro under the sheets was one of the most exciting scenes yet!
Nov 1, 2020 10:45 AM

Nov 2018
Absolutely stunning.
Feb 2, 2021 3:41 PM

Aug 2015
Amuro killing so many people in front of his pacifist mother was brutal. Also the good guys being shown misbehaving shows just how gray war is.
Apr 29, 2021 9:52 AM

Jan 2021
What is first painted as a reprieve for Amuro quickly develops throughout the episode into something entirely different. Learning more about Amuro's broken relationship with his mother does wonders to bring out character development. The shocking events that unfold closely matche the anti-war message which is always pushed in Gundam. One of the best episodes so far.
Jul 27, 2021 7:16 AM

Oct 2012
Really great episode. Glad it wasn't just another episode where they fight against some random Zeon soldiers while trying to escape. Amuro meeting his mother and her seeing how her son lost his innocence and changed was pretty impactful. The mother really seems to be a pacifistic and idealistic person. Makes sense that she's working in a camp treating injured people.

This whole thing really makes me respect Amuro as a character.

Amuro going on a rage and randomly attacking an enemy base caught me off-guard though. That seemed pretty pointless. Guess he didn't even think about the waste of ammo. Cool that this kind of stuff becomes relevant.

Also damn, why is every federation soldier we get to meet an asshole? These drunkards and the guys who didn't want to pay for an apple pissed me off. Really doesn't make the federation seem likable. The Zeon soldiers on the other hand look more sympathetic thus far, lol.
Apr 2, 2022 1:12 AM
Nov 2021
The mom made me so upset!! Like, it’s war and your son is defending himself and you also heard about how Zeon attack side 7 and your husband and his father could have been killed, he lived through THAT and you gonna say he’s a disgrace/disappointment?!?!?!!!
Jul 13, 2022 2:04 PM
Mar 2019
first it was fraw bow now his mom lmao. why are all the women in his life trash
Oct 28, 2022 11:41 PM

May 2019
I feel terrible for Amuro dang. Kid just wants to be loved and also has so much pressure as a child soldier not to mention the pilot of the Gundam. Poor kid. "He wasn't like this as a boy"? Lady he's experienced war. I'm glad that at least Bright says he's proud of him.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What counts as a separate series?

Cheemer - Jul 29

9 by bboy_OatsnRice »»
Aug 15, 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

121 by Pentagonion »»
Aug 13, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

45 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

74 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 23, 2009

51 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.