3It was OK
3.8%
2Disliked it
0.8%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.7
1,466 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 6, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
A lot of buildup episode with the recent events. Shin seems disoriented and mentally challenged, not that I blame him.

What also got me interested is the state of technology in these recent episodes, in particular this one. And Nina's message..damn. She didn't hold back.

Nov 6, 2021 8:29 AM
Apr 2021
Even for a short moment, I was surprised they allotted some time to show the situation in the Republic.

And a visual commentary next week? So no episode I guess huh.
Nov 6, 2021 8:30 AM

Feb 2019
Nina’s message to shin was heartbreaking. Even though he has that cold exterior, the amount of pain he carries within is unimaginable. Great episode as always from A-1.

Wait so no episode next week? I hope the production issues aren’t too serious. They haven’t confirmed the schedule for the rest of the season either…
Marinate1016Nov 6, 2021 8:50 AM
Nov 6, 2021 8:32 AM
Apr 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Wait so no episode next week?

https://anime-86.com/news/?id=59067

I used the google translate and it said due to production reasons o.O

Nov 13 and Dec 11 won't have new episode releases
tensai95Nov 6, 2021 8:36 AM
Nov 6, 2021 8:35 AM

May 2011
Personally don't like how shin's group has been thinking for these past episodes... I'd understand if they were still in their old country, but ever since they got to the city it's been not stop victim complexing. You try to be nice to them from the goodness of your heart then they think it's pity, you show compassion they think you're looking down at them, basically every good thing you do turns bad cause "we're 86"..
Nov 6, 2021 9:20 AM

Jun 2021
ImmortalZero said:
Personally don't like how shin's group has been thinking for these past episodes... I'd understand if they were still in their old country, but ever since they got to the city it's been not stop victim complexing. You try to be nice to them from the goodness of your heart then they think it's pity, you show compassion they think you're looking down at them, basically every good thing you do turns bad cause "we're 86"..
while I understand your point, indeed the "we're 86" stuff is something not everyone can relate to. but it meant the world for them, I feel like they think they can't be anything more than 86. It's like someone whose life so broken they only have one thing to hold on to, or else they better just die. Complicated to explain with my english skill but hope you understand.

Anyway, Shin's showing his true thoughts and expressions pain my heart this ep.
Current favourite ships:
- Chika x Satowa (Kono Oto Tomare)
- Shin x Lena (86)
- Vanitas x Jeanne (Vanitas no Carte)
Nov 6, 2021 9:29 AM

Nov 2019
The way he reacted to receiving that later..That's how you get PTSD. It was a rather intense, (albeit short) moment.

So we get a special program next week instead, to compensate for the lack of regular episode

Nov 6, 2021 10:01 AM

Feb 2021
Well that was a great episode, the narrative and direction as top tier as always.
That scene where Shin hears Lena's voice was so good, its like they were able to connect, even though neither of them knows if either one of them is alive.

And it looks like next week's episode is gonna be a recap...
I hope the great production continues so its fine.
Nov 6, 2021 10:01 AM

May 2020
That was some nuclear level loss we got to see, and at this point it's pretty much obvious how much of a toll it's taking on each and everybody mentally.
It's just painful watching how they aren't holding back a bit when it comes to 86'ers, be it in Republic or in Federation.
Nov 6, 2021 10:03 AM

Jul 2016
The first part starts on Lena taking command on 86ers defending the first district and Legion are attacking relentlessly en masse. Then the next scene is about the cliffhanger last week. The enemy Legion attacked their base and has massive casualties. That graphic scene tho and sad for the victims. Thankfully the attacked missed Shin and the others, but the morale of the soldiers are despairingly low. And this episode revealed the identity of what type of legion attacked them. Its a railgun type legion named Morpho.

The second part is discussing about how to destroyed that legion but location of the Morpho is in legion territory.

The next scene is about Shin. Its a great scene to know about what turmoil in his mind. And the after credit parts are aftermath of San Magnolia after the LSO, its desolate and silent.

Overall great episode and build up for future episodes

Nov 6, 2021 10:06 AM

Jun 2021
An OK episode, although it mostly felt like an episode to set up for the next big mission.
Nov 6, 2021 10:06 AM

Oct 2017
That was an epic way to start the episode and I loved it. Hope Milizé's fine.

The part with Shin and the letter was quite brutal, like seriously. Other than that build up episode for the upcoming raid. Excited for it yet worried about how it'll go at the same time. Sadly no episode next week so gotta wait two weeks to see it.
Nov 6, 2021 10:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's hard to see Shin's psychology and mental state like that, especially with Nina's letter :/
Nov 6, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
The tension of Volume 3's starting line, Bloody Regina's POV is as real.

Luckily the 86 and Frederica are safe from that Legion's railgun blast, but the latter can't shake the feeling that Shin is going to be like Kiriya (given they're from the same family tree). The Legion has some dangerous weapons like the Morpho (which is that railgun weapon), and the nations are aware of it to revise their stratagems thoroughly.

2 months of repair from that one flash, and the forces have more than enough time to recoup from their losses before another attack. But more than ever, their conversation regarding Lena and almost forgetting about Shin's connection to her, it's still a memory that's fresh within Shin's mind.

The letter that Shin mysteriously got from a rando kid whose sibling was KIA, the PTSD returned just like all the inner Legion conflicts from before. But nonetheless his perception of knowing where the Legion lies is helpful to the military (all except San Magnolia), and I'm definitely not suprised that the Nordlicht Squadron of 86-ers was chosen for this suicide mission (which Wenzel tries to defy that standing, not realizing that she consequently could take away Shin's reason of living).

Since Shin and Co. already came this far, might as well finish the sucide mission with dignity, because they are the 86.

The 2 episode delays next week (due to production issues, the special talk show-cum-recap replacing the episode's airing slot) and on Dec 11 (Tokyo MX special program broadcast re-arrangement), I can wait.
Nov 6, 2021 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
That opening sequence was really awesome, from the music to the chaos that was ensued over there with the Republic, and the outcome with the post-credits scene was nice too. This was mainly a buildup episode but compared to some of the other buildup episodes of this cour, this was actually good and not boring! Shin's character being in such a messy state with tons of conflicting aspects is definitely the sole interesting part of this cour from a character perspective besides what's up with Lena, and the directing sold that fact pretty damn well in this episode. Particularly with the letter front.

Supporting cast still is meh for me here, but they've done well enough with Shin solely at least since his main character is the main part of the cour for me in its majority and how his development would unfold. Still don't care much for the Kiriya stuff, but that was not the main thing about the episode so I could live with it here.

Episodes 3 and 4 of this cour were really underwhelming for me to match my feelings of the source material then, but these latest 2 have somewhat picked the series up for me again to some degree for how good they were and how genuinely intense the key moments felt (although I still prefer the first cour even now since that was much more consistent compared to this one). I'm actually interested in whats to come with the upcoming episodes after the delay next week.
Nov 6, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Shin seems out of it. Not that I don’t understand why though. He’s been through a lot. Seems the legion also have a new powerful weapon…
That scene where he hears Lena’s voice tho…

Looking forward to the next episode! (Which will be delayed next week unfortunately).
AISHITERU...REM!
Nov 6, 2021 10:18 AM
Oct 2016
Suicide missions seems to be the eighty six speciality. They've been on, and survived, so many that this next one sounds almost routine. Shin is right then when he snapped at Grethe. They can't just sit back and let others go, they'd be like their former oppressors. Sending others to do the dirty work. Its a shitty situation but its the one that's in front of them. The Legion gaining this railgun adds to the great thread they already were. Now their firing range is drastically higher and they've crippled every country. The Republic is on fire, the federacy has taken heavy loses and the other two nations are next. The only saving grace is the legion needing time to repair their railgun and setup their attack. But even those estimates might not be true since there's little data to judge it off of.

Shin isn't in a very good state of mind with all this carnage happening and his survivor's guilt coming back. He's always been super quiet but we know that's from him being able to compartmentalize all the death he's seen first hand. Now he isn't even sure if Lena is still alive since the Republic has taken heavy damage. The person who promised to never forget him may be gone and that's tough for Shin. But the mission calls and there's no time to dwell.
Nov 6, 2021 10:19 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The Alba's long awaited reckoning is finally here. Still horrific for them as it is this battle proves that without the 86 defending them the Alba are effectively defenseless against the legion something that this battle will painfully teach them. Its nice that we get to see the leaders of the other human nations present within the world. Morpho though sounds like a real pest though. Even by his standards Shinn's charge against the legion last ep was unreal. Still the demons that Shinn's facing sure are rough ones especially from Nina. The inclusion of the 86 that died into the narrative was an interesting idea. Even within the federacy seems that the military is still full of people that still view the 86 as monsters with Wenzel and the PM being the exceptions. Overall a pretty balanced ep that showed well Lena's desperate defense of the republic as the legion struck and the Federacy's plan to stop Morpho by sending Shinn's team as the vanguard. Its unfortunate but human perception and attitude towards others is something that takes time to change especially ones that had been grounded. And we're getting a special ep next week apparently.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2021 10:22 AM

Nov 2011
God damn this was the nuttiest episode yet!
I thought the Direction in this episode was beautiful. When Shin was talking with the General about the plan and it went from the General to Shin's former 86 members...so good.

The episode started off hot too with the Republic getting destroyed by the Legion! Crazy.

The only thing I didn't understand was the picture Drawn for Shin. It was definitely a piece of Eugene's mech but the picture was weird.

A lot of them reminiscing about Lena though. God I hope they meet up soon. That's all I want out of this anime now.

Oh shit that after credits scene...
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Nov 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Jul 2017
damn F for the republic, the Beta were just too powerful smh

but hey you know it's serious when Shin of all people manages to raise his voice lol. Looks like the next big battle is shaping up to be a hectic one for sure, wonder who's gonna get the plot armour blessing (apart from Shin) this time hehehehehehe.

though I wonder how Lena survived the onslaught given how destroyed the republic looks. I mean she's obviously still alive (as this series already proves important characters don't die easily :P) but the whole place looks like a ghost town.

also poor Shin, I get why the sis wants to put the blame all on him but it sucks that he really didn't have much of a choice
Nov 6, 2021 10:24 AM

Jun 2014
Even though Shin is usually so stoic and able to keep it together, even he was heavily impacted by that letter. Also, I really liked the scene where Shin was talking to the eyepatch general and all the now-deceased 86 from the past showed up. Really powerful moment to show how alone Shin really is.

Sucks that there's no episode next week, oh well.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 6, 2021 10:25 AM

Nov 2013
Man the angst was on point in this episode. That Nina letter reveal was even tougher to stomach here in the anime, since once again the visual directing of it was superb.

And if the letter scene was great, that scene of Shin with Lena and his former 86 teammates was easily the highlight of the episode. Shin really has it tough always being the one to be left behind and, once again, after trusting his dearest wish to Lena, he was seemingly left behind by her.

Sad to see we won't have a new episode next week, but as long as A-1 keep delivering it, I am more than ok with the delay.

Nov 6, 2021 10:25 AM
Jun 2021
Erotaku_ said:
An OK episode, although it mostly felt like an episode to set up for the next big mission.

Considering last episode was volume 2 ending, and this being the start of volume 3, it’s understandable as to why they’re building things up.
Nov 6, 2021 10:28 AM

Mar 2021
Holy Shit the beginning of this episode was great, really wish we got to see more of what was going on in the republic especially after how they ended the last episode and even more so with the beginning of this one.

It was kind of sad seeing shins deteriorating mental state but it was cool seeing more of what is going on inside his head.

I guess its back to the tip of the spear for the crew. Death march number two into legion territory, I guess some things never change, even in the federation they are still treated as outsiders.

It's going to suck to wait an extra week for the next episode but if it keeps the production quality this good im willing to wait.
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Nov 6, 2021 10:30 AM
May 2021
We now know the cause behind Shin's unsettling mentality during the recent battle was due to Nina's letter regarding her brother's (Eugene's) death. It's truly heartbreaking how much Shin forces himself to bear all on his own. 😭

Side note: I think this may have been the most Shin has ever spoken in a single episode lol.
XO2HKIMNov 6, 2021 10:39 AM
Nov 6, 2021 10:35 AM

Feb 2012
The Republic is in ruins.

Many parallels to draw between the Republic forcing the 86 to go on suicide missions because they kept surviving vs the Federacy picking Nordlicht to spearhead the operation to destroy the Morpho because they are the most capable (but won't be missed). Shin knows this and remembers the comrades he had to take to their graves.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 6, 2021 10:41 AM
Sep 2021
They animated the Shin and Lena scene beautifully, it was just so sad, Nina’s letter was sad, but very chilling, perfect episode, now we have to wait for 2 weeks for a new episode, it’s been a masterpiece.
Nov 6, 2021 10:51 AM
Apr 2013
When I first started watching this show I didn't care for the way the episodes were split between the 86 and San Magnolia.

I guess it felt like I was watching the same episode twice, just from two different POVs.

Hate that shit as much as I hate back story dives, time travel, and flashbacks in my entertainment.

Now though?

I'm a little peeved by how the show has sidelined San Magnolia's side of things and is only drip-feeding snippets.

We're halfway through the show ffs.

I know a lot of people don't care much for her character but the show needs more Lena to balance out all the 86 because there is A LOT of story not being shown on the San Magnolia side of things e.g. how the citizens react to a war they thought was being fought by AI when it reaches their doorstep, how the San Magnolia army that's being shown lazing about react etc.

I'm sure the LN readers know what's ahead and will say the payoff for all the patience will be worth it, but it's episode 6.

If the first cour is anything to go by we have just 5 episodes left.

All in all, a good, if depressing, episode.

ollythirteenNov 6, 2021 10:56 AM

Nov 6, 2021 10:54 AM

Jun 2020
Damn picking up from that cliffhanger the last episode the Republic is a total battlefield now huh where are your heroes only Lena's working her ass off (pun not intended) to save their lives

Wow it's no different they're still ill-treated anywhere they go even from here people look at them like scumbags

Building up from here I suppose it's safe to assume things are about to get good, Hang in there Lena, No episode next week hope they can take a rest from it.
Nov 6, 2021 11:00 AM

May 2015
So...did Repulic fall for good or are they hiding somewhere?
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 6, 2021 11:02 AM
May 2020
Soooo, can someone help me understand what 86 exactly now wants?? Especially Shinei
Nov 6, 2021 11:11 AM

Aug 2019
What a great build-up episode. Can't wait for the next one.... But gotta wait 2 weeks this time :(
READ THE BEGINNING AFTER THE END. Seriously, it is an S-tier manwha and should be added to mal in the future.
Nov 6, 2021 11:19 AM

Jul 2015
Guess its obvious now.. Shin's almost on the point breaking apart.. and.. it genuinely hurts..
Did the Federacy really saved the 86 imo?

this was a huge world building and deep episode.. tho.. felt like i was missing an episode lmao.. since things were so different from last episode
Nov 6, 2021 11:24 AM

Jun 2017
Welp getting "saved" didn't turn out well for Shin and co...they are sent yet on another suicide mission.

Hope Lena made it out somehow because they got rekt hard from the looks of it.
Nov 6, 2021 11:32 AM

Nov 2014
It feels like there is really no place for them. 86 are still only guests there.
The fact that they got called Spearhead again had some really nice symbolism to it.
Nov 6, 2021 11:33 AM
Jul 2020
Hold up, I might have missed this in the series..... but with all this technology, why do they not use planes and just shoot the Legion or bomb their factories. I mean isn't that a logical option???
Nov 6, 2021 11:36 AM
Apr 2019
NIKTRIS said:
Hold up, I might have missed this in the series..... but with all this technology, why do they not use planes and just shoot the Legion or bomb their factories. I mean isn't that a logical option???
Bruh lmfao.Watch the episode again
Nov 6, 2021 11:40 AM
Jun 2021
NIKTRIS said:

Bruh, they literally explained in the episode as to why they can’t use air support….
Nov 6, 2021 11:44 AM

Feb 2016
Man, I really want to see Shin get a happily ever after with the Major. But at the rate things are going, the possibility of that happening is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Also, good lord the ed for this show is so perfect.
Nov 6, 2021 11:48 AM

Oct 2015
NIKTRIS said:

Bruh, really....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2021 11:48 AM

Jun 2014
The direction never keep astounding me.

They managed to make Shin state of mind a lot more apparent without any use of inner monologue like they wanted. The way they used Shin past comrade to show Shin inner thought was beautiful.

Sad there are delays since 86 is one of the only anime im watching this season but I'll wait for it if it makes the anime a better product. This anime is my highlight every week after all.
Nov 6, 2021 11:51 AM

Mar 2016
This episode did so well in really depicting Shin's mental instability and deteoriation. He's always lived as a tool of war and only knows how to live as such regardless of he and his crew are treated in "special" ways.

The opening sequence was initially weird but beautifully done. No need for jarring sound effects here. Just unadulterated background music and the depiction of chaos in the destruction of the Republic.

That scene showing Lena and Shin being separated by a line of spider lilies really tells a lot with their parallel roles on the battlefield and how they're still linked together even if they're still so far apart (funny how they've yet to meet face-to-face in person at this point in time).

That post-credits scene really hit, too, physical showing the gruesome aftermath of the Republic's downfall.

This is obviously a buildup episode, but it was still very solid and does better as a transitional one than even episodes 3 & 4, in retrospect.
Nov 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Apr 2021
They're coming all guns blazing now. Can't wait for the second half of the season it's probably gonna be insane as well
Nov 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Apr 2021
NIKTRIS said:
signal jamming flying drone thingies. Get on a plane head in there and you won't last a good 10 seconds. Ground forces are better than nothing though they're still helpless
Nov 6, 2021 12:05 PM

Dec 2014
Did I miss something in between episode 5 and 6?

Why is their superior change from that female to another man?

Republic is able to get the info of Legion attack but Shin isn't able to pick up this time?

Since when did Republic get in contact with other 2 countries as shown in the monitor?

What the heck is Morpho?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Nov 6, 2021 12:07 PM

Sep 2011
ImmortalZero said:

Not every nice thing but it is pretty obvious when people like Wenzel constantly keep trying to get them to stop fighting that it's out of a sense of pity and self righteousness. And it's important to remember that fighting is all the 86 know at this point. Imagine for better or worse someone tried to get you to give up the one thing that gives your life meaning.
Nov 6, 2021 12:10 PM

Sep 2011
aLotQuestion_ said:
Did I miss something in between episode 5 and 6?

Why is their superior change from that female to another man?

Republic is able to get the info of Legion attack but Shin isn't able to pick up this time?

Since when did Republic get in contact with other 2 countries as shown in the monitor?

What the heck is Morpho?

The man is the general. Wenzel is a lieutenant colonel.

Republic is the country they were in in season one. They're fucked currently. The Federacy which is where we are now got all this info after the fact. They've had contact with the other two countries only for a little while now it was mentioned earlier this cour. And Shin couldn't detect the attack in time because of the huge range on the Morpho.

The Morpho was explained this episode but it's a gigantic railgun. Literally shooting 800 mm shells. That's roughly 26 feet across for non metric people.
Nov 6, 2021 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
The Episode of was epic. With each episode this show gets better. I don't have the words to describe how brilliant this show is for me.
Nov 6, 2021 12:22 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Now that was one powerful episode!

To be honest, the whole attack from last episode felt a little abrupt and hard to follow and this episode didn’t help much on that note but the focus on Shin’s psyche in this episode was an eye-opener in a few ways. Despite seeming so composed and calm on the outside, he’s actually a mess inside and the way A-1 presented Nina’s letter there was startling to say the least.

Shin’s temper blowing was another rarity this time around. At first, when they showed him clenching his hand, I thought that’d be it. But, boy was I wrong, that outburst on the colonel was on point. The 86ers are beyond help in many ways and the Federation is forced to make use of this now, good ol’ psychology this!

Milize’s little moment at the start of the episode was a great way to start off the episode but that ending… I know she isn’t down and out yet but talk about an eerie cliffhanger for two weeks minimum.

Soundtrack usage and the whole audiovisual experience this episode was fantastic! I can’t wait to see more of this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 6, 2021 12:27 PM

Jan 2021
Strong PTSD imagery in this episode and it was done well, It was a build up episode though so I can't rate it as if its the best thing ever, but I enjoyed it.

I guess what happened with the republic will be a Mystery untill the next episode but I suspect it may be a subversion somewhat.

The delay on the next Episode confirms a big battle scene surely.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

534 by GabrielVilela »»
May 6, 12:46 PM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

22 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 11:53 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2021

239 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 9:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.