3It was OK
9.7%
2Disliked it
2.1%
1Hated it
1.6%
Average 4.4
1,862 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 18, 2021 7:05 PM

Jan 2021
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really liked the animation style and it was interesting to see how everybody reacted to the situation they were in when some people gained powers and felt superior and some didn’t
Jun 18, 2021 7:09 PM

Jul 2019
idk wtf just happened, it had a Angel Beats type opening, then proceeded to do some Lord of the Flies bs, then some mountain comes up.

this ep's audiovisual were strange too, I mean, that lack of ost and the abstract art was smth for sure.

anyways, good episode.
Jun 18, 2021 7:45 PM
Jan 2021
Great episode with smooth animation and banger OSTs. The batsuda power is somewhat OP. Good job Shingo Natsume and Madhouse. Looking forward for next episodes next month.
Jun 18, 2021 7:56 PM
Aug 2018
Didn't expect another anime to blow me away so much with its first episode in the same year. The other one was Wonder Egg.
But seriously, though. I feel like if you know about the Lord of the Flies, this isn't anything new to you. But the EDITING damn. The direction, music, and animation are top-notch, plus I love how weird-looking it is. It really makes you feel you haven't seen anything like it before (sort of like a Yuasa anime in that way). And I also love how you are not explained how the world or the powers the kids have work. They just happen, and you're just as shocked as everyone else experiencing for the first time.
If it maintains that "show, don't tell" approach, this will easily be my anime of the season.
Jun 18, 2021 8:04 PM

Jul 2019
Really good stuff. First, i like how we are immediately in the situation without knowing what the fuck was going on. Also like that it isnt overly edgy yet, i was sure somebody was gonna get killed in the first episode, glad it did not. The designs are great and the animation is top notch, congrats to the team. Was, and is, my most hyped show for summer, by far.
Jun 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Mar 2010
Episode felt so long for me. This is one weird anime.
Jun 18, 2021 8:39 PM

Mar 2021
this is really give me yuasa anime vibes and it's so interesting , will looking forward to next episode in summer.
Jun 18, 2021 8:41 PM

Nov 2015
Solid first episode, I have no idea where this is going but the reveal at the end increased my interest by far. I'm still a little worried that they'll still fall into the Lord of the Flies or Drifting Classroom cliches, but at least the writer's 100% aware of those risks. I just hope he pulls it off. This could be really fun.
Jun 18, 2021 8:42 PM

Jul 2017
Well well, Sonny Boy is director and scriptwriter Shingo Natsume pulling a Masaaki Yuasa on the sci-fi side, and character designer Hisashi Eguchi being so weird lols, but a great early premiere though. And Madhouse is finally back on the production side, missed this studio for quite sometime!

The art style being reminiscent of Masaaki Yuasa's Ping Pong The Animation, and totally having that Lord of the Flies feel.

LOLS that Hibari-kun reference, that was sublime.

High school boys and girls getting "penalized" by "rules" of people whom have superpowers in the midst of the outside "darkness", nothing makes sense, but DAMN, this is one fine premiere of a showing. Fuck man, THIS SHOW IS WEIRD AND FUN AT THE SAME TIME!

This being an original anime, and this premiere episode definitely has me intrigued and stoked for more on the "Show, Don't Tell" basis.
KANLen09Jun 18, 2021 8:59 PM
Jun 18, 2021 8:43 PM
Jul 2017
Man this year’s anime originals are killing it.
Jun 18, 2021 8:44 PM
Oct 2020
Despite having no idea what was going on, this episode was really cool. The animation style wasn’t what I was expecting but I liked it.

As soon as I started to understand things a bit better I got a major lord of the flies feel. Overall I haven’t been this captivated by a first episode of an anime in awhile.
Jun 18, 2021 8:55 PM
Aug 2010
The fuck did I just watch haha. Very interesting art, story, and concept though. The ending OSTs reminds me of FLCL Pillows.
Jun 18, 2021 9:15 PM

Mar 2020
Bro I don't know what happened in that episode, the dude with star on his face is definitely evil though.

I loved the visuals, the song at the end, the Lord of the Flies themes that it touches on.

Also does anyone catch Nagara almsot cracking a smile at the end looking at Nozomi?
Almost as if he's having fun after being depressed for the whole first episode.

There's so much going on in the first episode but this was amazing honestly.
Jun 18, 2021 9:19 PM
Dec 2020
I don't know his name but that guy with the star on his eye is interesting to me. the world building also seems interesting. just the entire show seems interesting lmao.
BTW the guy with the star seems like a antagonist for the future l.
Jun 18, 2021 9:27 PM
Apr 2021
Stardew said:
Episode felt so long for me. This is one weird anime.
i felt the same, but still liked it, it took its time to tell the beginning of the story and I think that was a good thing to do
Jun 18, 2021 9:30 PM
Apr 2021
I really think this will be the best anime of the season, the music, the mystery omg, this first episode felt long but still liked it, pretty interesting and the animation is so smooth I loved it.
Jun 18, 2021 9:34 PM

Apr 2020
I'm back into watching seasonal anime and back into the episode forums. Thank god the personally dreadful Spring is over, and Summer times are here! And also returning this time around, is Studio Madhouse!

Ever since the trailer got released, I know this series has something going for it, and I DIG THE SONG (or atleast the part of it. So what do I get? Well...I'm still yet to watch it so...gonna watch it lol.
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 PM
Feb 2020
I only watched about half because I want to save it for when it really comes out but it was really damn good, and I’m looking forward to it a lot.
Jun 18, 2021 9:48 PM
Feb 2021
I really like how complex the episode is. I think I'm gonna like this. Can't wait for the next ep!
Jun 18, 2021 10:26 PM

Feb 2018
Weird stuff, cheap but stylish visuals. Reminds me of Yuasa a bit (tatami galaxy/devilman).

This surely has some potential to become a thing, so I'm in.
Jun 18, 2021 10:28 PM

Feb 2009
Nice nods to The Drifting Classroom and Stop!! Hibari-kun!

This is the only anime I cared about this year, and even then it was only because Hisashi Eguchi is one of the great living illustrators in Japan. Glad to see the actual content of the show seems interesting too.
Jun 18, 2021 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
Pretty cool premise, liked it overall but not fully sold yet.
Jun 18, 2021 11:00 PM

Jan 2020
I didn't know what to expect at the beginning, but by the end I was really interested and I'm definitely looking forward to more.

The star tattoo dude will probably be the antagonist of the show, he's just too dangerous. I wonder if he played mind games on that kid that looked extremely traumatized at the end.

"You can't go back to the real world.", it's as though they're all dead and stuck in some kind of afterlife dimension without being aware of the details.

Summer 2021 won't be as bad as I thought it would be after all!
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 18, 2021 11:03 PM

May 2017
This pretty good. I think this might become be one of the better shows of this year.
Jun 18, 2021 11:05 PM

Jan 2009
so is this a story about how to balance more control aka rules (less to no freedom but with peace and order) vs more freedom (that causes chaos and disorder)

or authoritarian vs libertarian spectrum

degJul 22, 2021 5:09 PM
Jun 18, 2021 11:13 PM

Feb 2020
I guess it was an okay start. Pretty weird but in a good way. Those cats are cute. :D

Let's see what's next.

SerafosJun 19, 2021 12:03 AM
Jun 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Sep 2019
Wtf was this episode. It looked cool and all but I didn't get shit lmao. It's an interesting concept so I hope they won't mess it up. I think this show needs a little more music, lack of music made the episode feel emptier than it actually is.
Jun 18, 2021 11:47 PM
Dec 2020
I agree with part of what the person above me said ^
It's an interesting concept, and I really like what they gave us for the first episode.
I also really like this animation style. no I love it.
So I hope they dont fuck this up.
No, I have a feeling that this anime is going to be one of my favorites. There's just something about this first episode.
I dont know how to explain it but this anime is strange (so far) and I love strange.
60DJun 19, 2021 12:02 AM
Jun 18, 2021 11:49 PM

Apr 2020
First of all, ED/OP song, great great song. Great GREAT SONG!!! I'm excited to hear it on full.

Finally my return to seasonal anime is Sonny Boy! An anime that took me away in an instant. You gotta follow and patiently look in every minute of this show, because dear lord we are only given a bare minimum in context and background of whatever freak is going on in this first episode.

I love just how grounded and tense this show already is man. Once you're given super powers in such a cozy and tight environement, you know things will go wrong really fast, and that's what happened here. Each characters so far that we're introduced have their own personal views and agendas now that they're in this FFA (free-for-all) world. The students who holds a strong power and a strong will, tends to abuse the other students who are too weak or are unopposed their goals. Dictatorship?

Glad things got resolved fast, as they cracked the puzzle and have escaped the dark, dark environment of "This World"...and now they're on an island! Sure hope nothing's going wrong with that...I clearly know some manga series that uses islands for their survival setting.

So far, I'm content with this first episode. Sonny Boy doesn't have an apparent goal yet, but we already have a foundation for our characters and their motives in the other world that has yet to be known. Next episode is gonna come next month, so let's wait for that long...but so far it's good!
Jun 18, 2021 11:49 PM

Jul 2019
VanishingKira said:
Very densely packed episode. Take Lord of the Flies+Mind Games+some supernatural aspects and you have this show.

Alot of emphasis on cats for whatever reason? Maybe Shingo Natsume just really likes cats, there's probably more to it. Also a very direct reference to The Drifting Classroom manga.
Actually according to what we know of the powers of the main characters,
Jun 18, 2021 11:56 PM
Feb 2021
cnsgnd12bryn said:
Great episode with smooth animation and banger OSTs. The batsuda power is somewhat OP. Good job Shingo Natsume and Madhouse. Looking forward for next episodes next month.
wait what ost you talking about there was like no background music (still good episode tho)
Jun 19, 2021 12:05 AM

Aug 2020
A great 1st episode. Kinda reminds me of WEP in that you have no clue wtf is going on until the middle of the season. A mix of tatami's galaxy's mystery and sci-fi with Lord of Flies themes especially at the end of the episode. Seems like the student council will play as the antagonists for the show. Can't wait to see how this all pans out throughout the season!

Jun 19, 2021 12:13 AM
Dec 2020
mtakashi said:
A great 1st episode. Kinda reminds me of WEP in that you have no clue wtf is going on until the middle of the season. \

Yes! I agree. I wrote in my post above (but then deleted) that this reminds me of WEP and how I hope they dont fuck this up.
60DJun 19, 2021 12:57 AM
Jun 19, 2021 12:56 AM
Jan 2021
Loved the concept and what they did.
Really good visuals and interesting direction. I liked characterization and interactions. Also the school design in nowhere. Superpowers qork in a really cool way. As I suspected there's probably gonna be a lot of blood and maybe slaughter later on if they don't won't to write out 36 kids. Intimidating villain. Idk if he is trans or what.

Let's hope it will go well. If they will manage to tell a conclusive story this might be just one of my favourites.
And since summer season are mostly isekai, sequels and comedy which I am not digging, this is my most anticipated show right now.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Jun 19, 2021 12:56 AM
Oct 2019
Having high hopes for the upcoming episodes!
Jun 19, 2021 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
Nice first episode ig, the last scene definitely got my attention, and ending soundtrack was really cool. Interesting concept, let's see where this goes.
Now gotta wait for a whole month.
Jun 19, 2021 1:21 AM
Mar 2021
No idea wtf I just watched but I'm into it.
I like the art style
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2021 1:53 AM
Oct 2020
8/10. I really like what I saw and is it just me or did this episode feel a lot longer than 22 minutes? That's how involved I became in this episode. And don't get me started on that nostalgia that hits like a brick wall for some odd reason. Wonder Egg Priority (and upcoming 1 hour special to tie things off) for Winter, Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song for Spring and Sonny Boy (so far) for Summer. Anime originals are coming for everything this year, we have to stan!
Jun 19, 2021 2:05 AM

Feb 2019
Lord of the Flies sure looks different these days. It might even become Animal Farm soon. I don't know if it can become a Brave New World though, I have my doubts.
Jun 19, 2021 2:15 AM

Aug 2020
i found it rather interesting that you were plunged into the story, though it was still understandable from the snippets of information you were given. and the absence of the ost for the majority of it was rather interesting too.

i'm excited to see how this anime goes.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Jun 19, 2021 2:23 AM

Jul 2019
i have never been so intrigued, can't wait for this to actually air, i hope it won't be rushed.
Jun 19, 2021 2:41 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
It is weird but maybe it is intended to be weird in the first episode. Lets see!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 19, 2021 2:49 AM

Jan 2014
Interesting start for sure, I love the mystery about it, and I am very curious to learn more about it, and see where it does indeed progress as it goes along.
Jun 19, 2021 2:53 AM

Aug 2014
This looks very interesting. don't know how it will go on but im intrigued
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jun 19, 2021 2:54 AM

Dec 2013
Can't wait for more. I'm assuming it will go the survival horror route ?
Nice to hear Ging Nang Boyz doing some OP
Jun 19, 2021 3:39 AM

Jan 2021
This really surprised me 0.

The animation is simply excellent, although I honestly don't understand what was going on but I imagine they will explain it

It reminds me a lot of Woder Egg and I hope this doesn't end up disappointing me (*´▽`*)
Jun 19, 2021 4:06 AM

Jan 2020
Okay, this is really fucking weird, but in a good way. Interesting characters, and an even more interesting set-up. High school kids being thrown into such a scenario can produce great results and turn out to be very intriguing, and this show has been a great example of this so far. Though, I disliked the fact that they skipped over how this phenomenon occured in the first place, and how the students reacted to it. They seem way too calm even after getting stuck in such a bizarre and horrifying situation. I mean, they did kind of freak out at the end of the episode, but if this had happened in real life, the breakdown would have certainly come a lot earlier and would have been a lot more devastating. I'm probably being a bit pedantic, though. This is only the first episode, so let's see what comes next.

Btw, I didn't like that star guy to be honest. I don't know why, but having some sort of godlike figure in every apocalyptic or apocalyptic-esque story is apparently a must. This kind of set-up would be far more interesting with just normal people included.

The animation was fine. They obviously cut a lot of corners (many conversations weren't animated properly; sometimes, only the characters' figures were shown from far away, and the facial expressions and the lip flaps weren't animated at all), but it didn't bother me that much. I'm really eager to see where this goes.
IrrelevantGuyJun 23, 2021 6:37 AM
Jun 19, 2021 4:48 AM

Nov 2016
At first the premise reminds me a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX S3, but the tone is more like Mugen no Ryvius or OG Boogiepop. It has that eerie feeling to which reminds me of late 90, early 00 anime.

Pretty intriguing start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 19, 2021 4:51 AM

Apr 2021
That was a very good first episode. I liked it, especially the last 10-15 minutes.
Jun 19, 2021 4:52 AM

Jun 2019
The plot of this show is really interesting. I like it a lot. The first episode made me ask a lot of questions and my brain was actually thinking about stuff in this show. This is really interesting as of the first episode. Looking forward to more.

And, yeah the animation is great. Madhouse on the track baby.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2021

117 by LunaLov »»
Sep 8, 9:48 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

301 by FreedomCanned »»
Sep 6, 2:11 PM

» Whats your favorite character and why?

NunoTheDudeYT - Aug 24

25 by deg »»
Sep 3, 10:35 AM

» Should be Avant Garde

Nostalgik - Jul 28

26 by Ricekrispies551 »»
Aug 22, 2:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

162 by NunoTheDudeYT »»
Aug 22, 4:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.