3It was OK
23.9%
2Disliked it
23.5%
1Hated it
12.0%
Average 3.2
1,303 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2019 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, it seems in order to protect a village, some people are willing to do just about anything.

This was intense. The way this episode used its music bought more sense of tragedy especially during the burning scenes. Loved Dororo and Hyakkimaru's character chemistry as usual.
Apr 22, 2019 6:50 AM
Feb 2017
The history was nice and dark in this episode, there was a lot of action but what the heck was the animation in this episode? It gave me Naruto Shippuden filler vibe.
The body part he got back... Damn, didn't expect that.
And the ending, come on, Hyakkimaru, how can you go this far without realizing you are missing something important....
Apr 22, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2016
Hyakkimaru So Cool
Apr 22, 2019 7:42 AM

Apr 2016
Hyakkimaru man has no chill, he doesn't give a fuck, he just want to kill some demons lol. What the villagers did was bad, but man ... still.

Also, those little ghosts were adorable.
SwagernatorApr 22, 2019 7:54 AM
Apr 22, 2019 7:51 AM
Jan 2019
This was the only satisfying episode, till now. There were a lot of plot holes. What Dororo did to the villagers is as bad as what they did to the kids. It felt like this episode was only to show that Hyakkimaru is not all kind. The only unsatisfying arc so far.
The animation and fight sequence were also meh. Not as impactful as the preceding ones. I hope the next episode will be good. This had a lot of butterfly effect and coincidences.
Karunasagar_GvApr 22, 2019 8:29 AM
Apr 22, 2019 8:05 AM

Dec 2017
The character art and animation were bad this time. I like the story and little character build up though.
Apr 22, 2019 8:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Felt like 5 minutes, but the art this episode was pretty bad most of the time. Thank god the story and some of the animations (specially at the end at the lake) make up for it. Looks like once again Osamu Kobayashi came in to give ''Q U A L I T Y'' like in episode 4 of Gurren Lagann.
DatRandomDudeApr 22, 2019 8:26 AM
Apr 22, 2019 8:17 AM

Feb 2011
Just what the hell happened with the art and animation this episode ? Even with that break between cours it looks like the staff is still battling the deadlines.
Apr 22, 2019 8:22 AM

Apr 2016
Hatsuyuki said:
Just what the hell happened with the art and animation this episode ? Even with that break between cours it looks like the staff is still battling the deadlines.

Yeah it was pretty off most of the time.
Apr 22, 2019 8:23 AM

Jan 2018
Yeah, the animation was crap, but oh well - there are bound to be moments like these, it's just the way it is when it comes to the budget, I still think MAPPA is killing it, tho ! What bothered me more was the direction .. it seemed kinda odd today ? Like the abrupt ending and the random scene of Hyakki's bro training, like what was that all about? xD "Hey guys, letting you know I'm still in the anime and that I'm working really hard!" - or smth hahahahahahha

Nothing will dissuade me from this show, tho ! The story is still going strong and Hyakki and Dororo are amazing !! Love them both so much ! ^_^
Apr 22, 2019 8:26 AM
Jan 2019
Why was the animation quality so bad??
Apr 22, 2019 8:33 AM
Dec 2018
the animation was horrible in this episode and it dident add much too. its 3rd episode in a raw that sucks balls
Apr 22, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2008
preview for next week

but man this week animation lol
The spider is watching
Apr 22, 2019 8:39 AM
Apr 2019
damn this episode is terrible, the animation and the direction. The moth dies anticlimactially. Next episode looks promising though.

What did Hyakkimaru meant when "You're... you're the same!"??
Apr 22, 2019 8:41 AM

May 2016
Can't say this episode was perfect or something but it was dffit was different, pace, animation looked like it was a complete different staff, some scenes were weak some were great, some were good with some bad frames what's up with that?

Overall the village was fucked up and Sabame died while his head was in the paddies.

Don't like to see Itachi again...

Those who say the animation was crap shouldn't talk crap when you don't even know how hard it is to keep up deadlines, they made a mistake and tried to animate this episode differently if you have an eye for this stuff you will notice some great frames but the problem was deadlines being there
RaizelApr 22, 2019 8:45 AM
Apr 22, 2019 8:44 AM
Apr 2016
Uhh, this demon sure dealt great damage...rest in peace village. The animation was really different this episode, but I liked it a lot, it was very old stylish and poetic. Seems like the story will focus on Dororo next episode.

Mar 2017
Wow, this episode was horrible. I liked the series overall, but there have been a few really bad episodes, and this is the worst one yet. The animation was terrible, yeah. But whether it was the direction or editing who screwed up, the whole pacing felt sluggish and the shittons of crossfades seemed almost like a technical oversight or something. As if all the editors this week were sick and an intern took over. I'd even prefer the lazy cut to black with a cliched audio sting, at least that would add some excitement.

I am not bashing the series, because I like the serious tone and cool action that's going on. But if the remaining episodes are like this... ugh. Let's just hope things return to normal soon.

Jan 2018
ArcturusMi said:
damn this episode is terrible, the animation and the direction. The moth dies anticlimactially. Next episode looks promising though.

I think he meant the lord was the same as his father in that he sold his soul to demons or ghouls and sacrificed innocent lives under the guise of protecting his people and the land he governed !
Apr 22, 2019 8:53 AM
Apr 2019
Drunken_angel said:
ArcturusMi said:

I think he meant the lord was the same as his father in that he sold his soul to demons or ghouls and sacrificed innocent lives under the guise of protecting his people and the land he governed !

Ooh, so that's why he saw a glimpse of Daigo in his horse and Tahomaru(?) which I can't really make because the bad animation.

Really thought it was "assholes murdering orphans and their caretaker then burning their temple AGAIN" because of Hyakkimaru's scream
Apr 22, 2019 8:56 AM

Jan 2018
ArcturusMi said:

Ooh, so that's why he saw a glimpse of Daigo in his horse and Tahomaru(?) which I can't really make because the bad animation.

Really thought it was "assholes murdering orphans and their caretaker then burning their temple AGAIN" because of Hyakkimaru's scream

Yeah, that's what I gathered cause of the shadow thingies of Daigo and Tahomaru but it might also have something to do with Mio and the poor orphans from that time .. Hyakki just can't catch a break, tho, no wonder he has no chill and is like "I hope you all die assholes" xD
Apr 22, 2019 9:00 AM
Mar 2016
Considering how bad the transitions, pacing, and sequences of scenes in this episode are, this may be the first dororo episode I rate as 2/5
Apr 22, 2019 9:07 AM
Jun 2017
That episode was a mess! Not only animation wich i could excuse were it not for the horrible pacing and just overall flow. There was cut after cut and charaters were just acting dumb... like wtf really took a dive this episode

Apr 22, 2019 9:18 AM
Dec 2018
Those who said the ANIMATION in this episode is terrible sure didn't know about Osamu Kobayashi, he is directing and storyboarding this episode, same person that do that in ED 1 visual
His name is everywhere in this eps ED credit, pretty much this episode was very his style, I love it though, honestly this is very fit the historical story telling for Dororo
The overall story for this episode still so good, I just little bit annoyed with some plot hole but it's okay, this story telling want viewers to guess something than show it obviously

Next week we will see Itachi again, but why he is not looks like a samurai anymore??

Edit: btw, just rewatched again and I noticed this episode have almost zero CGI, like even for fire and water they using full hand drawn tho :o not to mention the monsters, Dororo never uses CGI for it since the begining
MOMOpatisierreApr 22, 2019 10:55 AM
Apr 22, 2019 9:19 AM

Nov 2013
Really, if MAPPA just learned to pace itself better and got a grip on how (and when) to burn their budget (or if they'd just increase it) they would be first rate around TRIGGER level, only surpassed by ufotable or KyoAni or Madhouse when they don't pull an Overlord III (ofc excluding movie studios e.g Shinkai Makoto, Ghibli, Khara, etc).
It happened the same with art quality in Inuyashiki but at a much worse timing as it was right at the only cool and fair fight the series has.
Apr 22, 2019 9:21 AM

Feb 2016
Jesus Christ what happened to this episode? The animation was terrible and the characters were off-model most of the times, I can't deny some parts looked incredible tho. Still, the directing and the pace were all over the place.

Raizel said:

Those who say the animation was crap shouldn't talk crap when you don't even know how hard it is to keep up deadlines, they made a mistake and tried to animate this episode differently if you have an eye for this stuff you will notice some great frames but the problem was deadlines being there

I mean, it sure looked great on some scenes, but it looked really off and stiff on certain parts. Its a 50/50 for me, still the pacing and the directing for this episode was really bad.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 22, 2019 9:42 AM
Jan 2018
Animation was not good and it felt quite rushed. Poorly executed but I like how they finally realise actions have consequences.
Apr 22, 2019 9:44 AM
Dec 2016
I didn't expect we'd have another Kobayashi Osamu controversy, lol.
If you like or not, it is obvious that this style was done with creative intention.
I don't necessarily like his works like the Gurrenn Lagann episode, but I think it was well directed and animted in this case. His style fit the tone of the episode.
"Style" is sometimes just a buzzword, but recent anime fans tend to focus too much on consistency.
e_hobaApr 22, 2019 9:55 AM
Apr 22, 2019 9:55 AM

Nov 2016
Personally I really liked the different style and feel of this episode. Storywise it wasn't that good compared to other parts, but the conflict between Hyakkimaru and Dororo caught my interest.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 22, 2019 10:05 AM
Jan 2018
Seiign said:
Really, if MAPPA just learned to pace itself better and got a grip on how (and when) to burn their budget (or if they'd just increase it) they would be first rate around TRIGGER level, only surpassed by ufotable or KyoAni or Madhouse when they don't pull an Overlord III (ofc excluding movie studios e.g Shinkai Makoto, Ghibli, Khara, etc).
It happened the same with art quality in Inuyashiki but at a much worse timing as it was right at the only cool and fair fight the series has.

Really the budget excuse . You can have a big ass budget and still have shit animation .

Osamu Kobayashi who did the first ED did this episode. So it's mostly likely a choice
Mattinator95Apr 22, 2019 10:17 AM
Apr 22, 2019 10:11 AM

Mar 2016
When a show is two-cour or more, it's bound to have one or few episodes of really questionable animation quality.
Apr 22, 2019 10:15 AM

Oct 2018
I knew I wasn't the only one to notice how rushed this week felt.
Apr 22, 2019 10:16 AM

Nov 2013
Mattinator95 said:
Seiign said:

Really the budget excuse . You can have a big ass budget and still have shit animation .

It's the staff and deadlines that mostly the cause

The thing is, usually more budget = more staff (usually korean animators if is not permanent)
Apr 22, 2019 10:20 AM
Jan 2018
Seiign said:
Mattinator95 said:

It's the staff and deadlines that mostly the cause

The thing is, usually more budget = more staff (usually korean animators if is not permanent)

It was a different directer this episode the same one that did ending 1 Osamu Kobayashi, it's most likely a shitty artistic choice
Apr 22, 2019 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
Some people has to see Shirobako to understand how industry works, because use the budget excuse is literally a meme.

Nice episode in general terms, the real problem was some plot holes and non sense scenes.
Apr 22, 2019 10:23 AM

Mar 2016
Hokkage said:
Some people has to see Shirobako to understand how industry works, because use the budget excuse is literally a meme.

Nice episode in general terms, the real problem was some plot holes and non sense scenes.

My main question is how the fuck you burn a moth thingy that just came out of the water and is likely too damp to be burned up xD
Apr 22, 2019 10:25 AM

Feb 2011
Seiign said:

*sigh* why people still blame budget for bad animation in 2019 is beyond me.
Good planning and scheduling assure a healthy production. Animators underperform when they're constantly fighting deadlines. Most TV series receive about the same amount of budget for production.
Apr 22, 2019 10:29 AM
Jan 2018

I read a comment say something similar like that Osamu Kobayashi is the animation/storyboard director for this episode is the same one who directed the first ED - you can see the same slow fading transitions, choppy animations, and hyakki's eye shadow.

And people will be familiar with him if they have seen Gurren Lagann epiosde 4 rhe shitty animatated epiosde it's the dudes style . And apprently he was only hired for the 1st ED and this episode. So it should hopefully go back to normal next week or at least better Quility then this episode
Mattinator95Apr 22, 2019 10:36 AM
Apr 22, 2019 10:30 AM

Oct 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Seiign said:

Good planning and scheduling assure a healthy production. Animators underperform when they're constantly fighting deadlines. Most TV series receive about the same amount of budget for production.

Yeah. You can ask just about any production assistant or any animator, while budget helps a bit, it's largely scheduling & planning. TBH it looks like some of these frames weren't even checked this episode.
Apr 22, 2019 10:30 AM
Jan 2018
Hatsuyuki said:
Seiign said:

@zagzee

Apprently it's down to Osamu Kobayashi who was the director for animation and storyboarding if you watch ED 1 you may see some similaritys because it's done by the same guy so his basically just his style .

BTW have any of you seen gurren L epiosde 4
Mattinator95Apr 22, 2019 10:35 AM
Apr 22, 2019 10:36 AM
Nov 2018
Hyakkimaru is not like Jean Valjean of shoujo cosette, but the count of Monte Cristo of Gankutsuou. I never liked of Jean Valjean, but I love Edmond Dantes and how he is cruel.
I like how hyakkimaru does everything to get all parts his body of back.
Apr 22, 2019 10:37 AM

Mar 2016
Mattinator95 said:
People really need to do research before blabing it off .

Osamu Kobayashi is the animation/storyboard director for this episode is the same one who directed the first ED - you can see the same slow fading transitions, choppy animations, and hyakki's eye shadow.

And people will be familiar with him if they have seen Gurren Lagann epiosde 4 rhe shitty animatated epiosde it's the dudes style . And apprently he was only hired for the 1st ED and this episode. So it should hopefully go back to normal next week or at least better Quility then this episode

Not just Gurren Lagann. Other "greatness classics" like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy had quite a number of episodes with questionable animation quality as well, and yet those series did fine for the most part. For this show to have just one and everyone go nuts and bolts about it is ridiculous. Now if this was something actually recurring a bit too often, then I can understand the complaints. Also, it's multi-cour, you can't expect every episode to be of practically equal quality throughout.
Apr 22, 2019 10:38 AM

Oct 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Hatsuyuki said:

@zagzee

Apprently it's down to Osamu Kobayashi who was the director for animation and storyboarding if you watch ED 1 you may see some similaritys because it's done by the same guy so his basically just his style .

https://twitter.com/osamukoba/status/1120191009537703936
If this is his "style" I don't think it should be acceptable in a show like Dororo, considering the episodes that come before make it a decent quality drop. The majority don't like it. I'm alright with a couple episodes though. You'd be out of your mind if you think I could watch an entire series like this though.
Apr 22, 2019 10:39 AM
Jan 2018
Ryuseishun said:
Mattinator95 said:
People really need to do research before blabing it off .

Osamu Kobayashi is the animation/storyboard director for this episode is the same one who directed the first ED - you can see the same slow fading transitions, choppy animations, and hyakki's eye shadow.

Not just Gurren Lagann. Other "greatness classics" like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy had quite a number of episodes with questionable animation quality as well, and yet those series did fine for the most part. For this show to have just one and everyone go nuts and bolts about it is ridiculous. Now if this was something actually recurring a bit too often, then I can understand the complaints. Also, it's multi-cour, you can't expect every episode to be of practically equal quality throughout.

Point being is that it's Osamu Kobayashi fault this episode who was the director for animation and storyboard and not a production issue
Apr 22, 2019 10:40 AM

Jul 2017
Honestly apart from the bad animation, I really liked this episode a lot. Hyakki still has that kill all attitude and the scene with the spirit children was pretty to watch (especially that lighting)

The only thing I will say though I hoped the transitions would be more smooth instead of jumping around every 3 lines of dialogue
Apr 22, 2019 10:42 AM

Mar 2016
Mattinator95 said:
Ryuseishun said:

Point being is that it's Osamu Kobayashi fault this episode who was the director for animation and storyboard and not a production issue

Yea I can agreed on that, I keep forgetting that this show had more than one storyboard director.
Apr 22, 2019 10:42 AM
Jan 2018
zagzee said:
Mattinator95 said:

@zagzee

https://twitter.com/osamukoba/status/1120191009537703936
If this is his "style" I don't think it should be acceptable in a show like Dororo, considering the episodes that come before make it a decent quality drop. The majority don't like it. I'm alright with a couple episodes though. You'd be out of your mind if you think I could watch an entire series like this though.

Correction I just checked again and according to anime network he was only the epiosde directer and storyboard
Mattinator95Apr 22, 2019 11:09 AM
Apr 22, 2019 10:45 AM
Jan 2018
Ryuseishun said:
Mattinator95 said:

Yea I can agreed on that, I keep forgetting that this show had more than one storyboard director.

Correction according to anime network he was only the epiosde directer and storyboard
Mattinator95Apr 22, 2019 11:08 AM

Dec 2014
but even after the demons are defeated people are seen to be far worse... why are samurai fighting again
Nov 2017
This episode felt SUPER WEIRD. What happened to the woman at the ending of the episode 14? What was that weird training scene of hyakkimaru kid? Why is animation so inconsistent and weird? Generally pretty weird episode compared to the other ones which i loved. Hope this was one time thing. :/
Jan 2019
Is it just me or did they just left the fact that that moth demon could change into a human? I feel like they could have expand the relationship between the moth demon and the village leader a bit more :/
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

447 by Thirdu »»
Sep 3, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by ZNT_12_9_1_22 »»
Aug 30, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2019

93 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2019

145 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2019

182 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 5, 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.