Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 28, 2014 7:42 PM

Nov 2009
dammmnn, what a sad episode
-☾✩
May 19, 2014 12:08 AM

May 2012
From the title of that episode, my heart broke. Spent the next twenty minutes crying. One of the most emotional death episodes in any anime I've ever watched. Absolutely brilliant.
May 25, 2014 7:00 AM

May 2014
jpem said:
Holy shit, didn't see this coming.

Argh. Me too. Grrr.. This was a depressing episode. I was looking forward to have his dad teach him more baseball and then he'll succeed and argh.. I'M SO DEPRESSED..

If I was on Goro's shoes, I don't think there's no reason for me to live anymore. I'll go with my parents too.
Aug 19, 2014 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
Just started watching this show today and now I'm in tears and depressed. :'(
Dobbie078Aug 19, 2014 1:34 PM
Sep 20, 2014 4:44 PM

Apr 2013
Wow. I think that I must have watched this episode with the lights on a bit too bright because my eyes are watering a little bit...

This was the feels train episode of the century right here. Right up there with Cross Game's first episode and the last episode of Touch's first season. Why are baseball anime so f'n amazing?
Dec 27, 2014 2:08 PM

Nov 2009
Okay one thing to comment on before I start blubbering . . . Why did he not get checked up before going to sleep? I mean he could have had a concussion, and then gone to sleep and slipped into a coma.

Now then . . . WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Seriously though, it has been awhile since a series made me cry and god darnit this one hit home. Though I am also really happy that Momoko stepped in like that, although that in itself was tragic too, they had just started their relationship and he passes away just like that.
Feb 11, 2015 4:27 PM

Jul 2014
i tried my hardest to keep the tears in… but alas, my efforts were futile.
Jun 25, 2015 7:33 PM

Aug 2013
Fuck, man, I cried like a little bitch. Goddamnit, dude, that poor kid. He lost his mom. And now he lost his dad and life model, just when he had reached its peak. It's like putting happiness to the maximum, only to suddenly crush it... Being Goro is suffering. He's now an orphan of his biological parents, at only 6 years old. The worse I think is that he had the time to know them and love them.

Gibson will be haunted by that for the rest of his life. People may have short memory, but the feeling of guilt, sometime, you can never get over it.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 20, 2015 4:04 AM

Jun 2009
Reminds me of what happened to Phil Hughes.

Concussions are serious fucking business people. The medical staff on that baseball team are fucking useless. He should have been taken to the hospital immediately. Letting him play the the rest of the game was absolutely, completely retarded.
Jul 21, 2015 9:54 PM

Nov 2012
With the title of this episode being "Farewell" it was pretty obvious Honda was going to dead, this episode was sad none the less.
Aug 5, 2015 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
So, so sad. 5/5 though.
Aug 12, 2015 5:23 PM

Jan 2015
That was one of the saddest episode i've ever experienced. And still a disconcerting sense of peace remains.
Honda had the worst karma ever, he just wasn't meant to be happy. Let us hope his son will have a better future...

Of course Gibson had to speak during one of the most tragic scenes. I couldn't help but laugh at his "Sorry boy" and his shitty accent...
Dec 7, 2015 3:55 AM

May 2013
Yanoflies said:
I just fucking cried.

Wow.
Dec 19, 2015 9:52 PM

Mar 2015
Wow.
Thought he was gonna be okay after he got up and was energetic.
Died so suddenly, shit..
Just goes to show the danger of baseball, have to be on your guard at all times.
Have a feeling this series is gonna get a 10 from me.
Jan 8, 2016 5:04 AM

Aug 2015
holy cow i cried so hard after watching this episode, not to mention i am watching it while eating my dinner.. this is the first time ever an anime made me cry more than 5 minutes, i actually cried for like 15 minutes because of how sad this episode is.

i just keep shouting "don't die, don't die" for the rest of the episode after he collapsed that morning, and when gibson's manager answering that phone and said that honda passed away, i just burst out crying. T__T Hoshino even know honda's death through TV news, i couldn't imagine the feeling.

life is so unfair for honda-san, how could this happened to him..
kvintanzilJan 8, 2016 5:09 AM
Feb 8, 2016 11:49 AM

Feb 2015
I wanted a fun baseball anime and instead, I keep getting my heart annihilated. WHY MAJOR WHY?

Oh, and fuck Gibson.
Mar 20, 2016 5:01 PM

Mar 2012
That was probably one of the most depressing things I've ever watch. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for Goro to have now lost both his parents at the age of 6, especially when Honda and Hoshino were planning on getting married. Why the fuck is it that awesome characters like Honda always get killed off early in the most depressing ways? ;_;
Mar 30, 2016 7:02 PM
Feb 2014
one of the best eps i've ever seen in anime...
Apr 14, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
Why did he have to die like that, poor Goro and poor Momoko.
I'm glad to see that Goro is doing fine after 3 years.
Apr 16, 2016 4:16 PM

Sep 2014
Was not expecting that, at all. This is so heartbreaking, everything was going so well, and then this, it's really messed up. Poor Goro. Shigeharu didn't deserve that, I wished he could have lived and seen his son grow up and reach his dreams.
Apr 19, 2016 2:36 PM

Feb 2010
Can't say I didn't expect this... but that doesn't lessen the impact.

That worked beautiful as a prologue for Goro's history, which is yet to be told at this point. While it was only 6 episodes, the series obviously focused on building on the relationship between Goro and Honda, and of course, Momoko. I absolutely loved the father-son relationship that was built, which of course, made it even sadder what transpired in this episode.

I hope the series manages to keep this high level.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Aug 25, 2016 3:07 PM

Feb 2008
Valaskjalf said:
I'm not gonna lie

this is probably the saddest anime episode I have ever watched

Almost reaching a thousand completed anime, and I can say the same. Kind of funny that the two saddest episodes I've seen are from sports shows.

It's a shame that they spoil it so soon with the titlecard. Should have kept some suspense at least. But knowing that he'll die from the preview made the episode even harder to watch. You just KNEW he'll fall down anytime, and you'll watching him have the second happiest day in his life.

And to be honest, seeing him stand up and continue to play, I thought it was some Jacob's Ladder kind of thing, and the screen will soon flash to everyone gathering around his body. I guess his promise and love for his family made him stand up and continue living for a few more hours.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 25, 2016 10:11 PM

Oct 2011
That was a really fantastic and depressing episode. Even though the payoff for all the heart warming moments was this, I wouldn't change anything about the execution.
ZetaZaku said:

Almost reaching a thousand completed anime, and I can say the same. Kind of funny that the two saddest episodes I've seen are from sports shows.

It sucks that just yesterday we were talking about this show and how I expected him to die. I didn't think it would happen so soon though ;__;
Sep 12, 2016 12:08 PM
Aug 2014
episode title made it obvious but still wow
Oct 3, 2016 3:26 AM

Jun 2015
Was super sad, but the team doctor messed up pretty bad.
:)
Nov 11, 2016 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
Bruh why ? i had the feeling something bad would happen this episode but this is too much, i feel so bad....

Quote from a dude on the kissanime comment section:"Funny cause one episode ago i was asking myself if this is a sports anime, or a romance anime, but its all too clear now. This is a fucked up Anime."
Nov 13, 2016 8:52 AM

Oct 2016
I knew this would happen because of all the hints in the OP and then I noticed the man in the group shot at the end was Shigeno, not Honda. So I totally looked it up and spoiled myself on purpose b/c I couldn't handle the stress. But I still super cried anyway it was such an emotional episode
Nov 30, 2016 8:09 AM

Jan 2013
Wow, that's depressing. Things were looking soo good for them with Honda's promising baseball career and his relationship with the teacher.
Dec 25, 2016 7:57 AM

Jul 2013
calliopedreams said:
I knew this would happen because of all the hints in the OP and then I noticed the man in the group shot at the end was Shigeno, not Honda. So I totally looked it up and spoiled myself on purpose b/c I couldn't handle the stress. But I still super cried anyway it was such an emotional episode

Me too, I was too impatient why Honda wasn't in the last shot of the OP, so I spoiled myself 2 episodes ago. But damn, I knew it was coming but I still haven't cried this much for 2+ years of anime. Last time was while watching the final episode of Death Parade. I'm usually not one who cries because of anime, but that dad and son relationship was just so wonderful ... and now it's all shattered. Even while I write this comment and remember Goro's words to Momoko in the hospital, I get all emotional again.

Such a great series. I'm way too late for the "party" but who cares. Why the heck has my country not licensed this series yet? This is a hidden anime jewel.
Jan 15, 2017 8:51 AM

Feb 2014
Really wasn't expecting this anime to me so emotional. Was expecting it to be joyful with some small depressing moments like in other sport anime's. Took me by a big surprise.
Feb 9, 2017 8:05 AM

Jul 2015
A really sad episode.
I can't say anymore about this. They do every scenes perfectly in this episode.
Poor Goro and Momoko sensei. They are really deserved a little thing called happiness but reality is not same. Shigeru-san is really a good father though T_T.

A time skip at the end means the end of prologue and now it's time for Little League
Feb 10, 2017 12:36 AM

Mar 2015
I read the manga until after this happened the i decided i cannot take it without honda daddy. Then i decided i will give the anime a shot. I saw it coming but still cried dammit.
Jul 29, 2017 9:56 AM

Oct 2009
F that team doctor D:
And who would leave check up to tomorrow after getting hit by 160km/h ball in the head??... plus it is so unreasonable to even let him continue the game after getting hit. Hate this episode.. RIP </3 Gibson dogeza pls
Aug 18, 2017 2:02 AM

Nov 2011
I can't say I was especially emotionally invested, but that was even crueler and more depressing than having Honda die on the spot. At first when he got up I was thinking the formatting was trolling and that was a pretty meh development to not even get a concussion from that (let alone a getting coma or dying), but then they started talking about putting off a checkup until the next day and I knew where it was going...

I think I've heard of similar stuff happening to boxers.

Having Honda's dead body lying on the floor while Gorou tries to wake him up, and then eventually realize he's dead... That is such a cruel backstory on top of all the other crap that had already happened.

I got a little misty at the end when Gorou was telling Gibson to give his daddy back. Gibson can eat crap for all I care; he threw that ball at Honda on purpose and he knows he did.

What kind of story is this going to turn into?
Sep 24, 2017 5:12 AM

Jul 2015
So you can actually get killed by a beanball, even with a helmet?
Some players in the MLB can pitch a 100 MPH fastball, like Noah Syndegaard or Carlos Martinez or Aroldis Chapman (I saw him once throwing a 100+ pitch). So, anyone could die in the MLB? Wow that's scary.

I searched a bit, and I only found that one player was ever killed by a beanball, but it was in 1920, where players still batted with simple caps instead of helmets.

I agree that the ball was hit in a dangerous spot, but it still hit the helmet. I think that death was kind of nonsense. But anyway, this is not reality... poor Goro.

And oh, Shigeno should punch Gibson, or even more. It would be very well deserved
"I died long ago. This is just a bad dream"
Nov 25, 2017 2:55 AM

Dec 2015
Oh man, this was an unexpectedly heavy episode...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 9, 2017 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
Oh my fucking god, this sucks so much, I couldn't hold back the tears :'( Amazing anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 6:23 PM

Sep 2011
I'm so damn choked right now.
Jan 19, 2018 3:58 PM

Jul 2016
Well.. that just happened. This anime went from just having fun to Gorou's friggin dad dying! My jaw hit the floor and I was in complete shock. When Joe Gibson confronted Honda's body, I thought it was a strange interaction and when he stated it was an accident, which it certainly did not seem like it.. but he did seem sincere.

I felt so awful for Gorou in this episode and how can you not!

I thought it was amusing how the writers were echoing what Japanese people (of course not all the people do) do think of Americans: cocky, arrogant, and don't appreciate cultural difference (like Japanese style of baseball). I thought it was a little stereotypical, but I'm assuming Gibson will still be a character in the show and will slowly appreciate the Japanese culture.
Jan 30, 2018 1:28 PM

Jul 2010
Man, sports anime just feel way too dramatic sometimes and obviously this is even more so, am I gonna have to worry for deaths each episode I watch now? pls don't die Goro!
Dec 24, 2018 5:05 PM
Aug 2018
Wow, I didn't expect him to die within the first 6 episodes. But even with experiencing his mothers death and everything his father said, Gorou was surprisingly calm, considering that he has nobody left in his life.

Looks like the helmets are trash...

And you would think they would send someone who just got hit by a ~160kph hardball in the head straight to the hospital.

tr25a3Dec 24, 2018 5:27 PM
Feb 12, 2019 11:58 AM

Oct 2013
That was a fantastic start of the anime! I cant believe what has happened till now. During that episode my heart broke in pieces.

I really love the chars in this show, also Goros father... I will miss him. And poor little Goro.

Looking forward to see him growing up. But i barely made it so far. It was too depressing :(

What a great anime!
My only regret is having regrets!
Apr 1, 2019 12:29 AM
Jan 2018
I just started watching this and i cried at the same time damm 😭😭
xochandaox said:
aw when goro said that to gibson i started crying...
the way it happened was sad :(

but great ep!
Glad i started watching~
May 6, 2019 11:04 PM

Jun 2014
I recently started watching this because someone recommended it to me since I was hooked with Ace of Diamond...

And just on episode 6 they drop this bomb... gawd... stop making me cry, Anime, this was supposed to be a happy story! T.T
May 16, 2019 5:29 AM

Jun 2016
I literally feel like I am going to puke. I cried the entire episode. The fact that so much of this series had no down time, was point by point melodrama and cheesiness, like the beginning when it flashed that Goro's mom died, it made this so much harder. How in the world was this okay. I mean it was more than okay. It was one of the best anime deaths I've ever seen. Just what the heck. We have this moment of hope, he didn't die, he got up, I was relieved but I kept this sense of suspense for where it could go wrong. Retirement? Coma? I didn't know. And the fact a part of me wanted it to be okay and I didn't know what to expect led to his death on their floor after sleeping and playing with son like that so hard to watch. For a series that doesn't know the word subtlety, the choice to have Goro wake up and think his dad was asleep, drape him in a blanket, and continually try to wake him up while talking to him made it so real and chilling. It was like minutes of that poor kid not realizing what had happened and being there with his dad's corpse. After both actually establishing their relationship as meaningful as all hell to the two of them, but not quite perfect, for the first hour and 40 minutes of this anime, and then to give this genuinely horrifying tragedy so much down time and subtlety like made it so much harder to watch. It was the juxtaposition from the past episodes to this one that just literally made me want to puke. If it weren't for you guys last episode's thread I would have thought he'd live for sure even though certain things imply he wouldn't.

Seriously, the moment when Goro realized his dad may be dead and tried to wake him up one final time was so horrifying. The face when he realized what had happened hit me. Then we have everyone getting the news, Hoshino through the actual news and all. It was like, I thought this would genuinely be a story of a dad making it big, fighting his cruel fate and making it to the major leagues while his son caught up. To have him die in such a cruel and meaningless way like having an arrogant foreigner pelt his head purposefully out of anger then try to leave Japan after all Honda's been through and after my expectations that things would get better as they have been, it was so painful!!! Do things really not work out for the better? I knew this anime took on seriously genuine sadness and kindness but it always didn't feel real, this time it was genuinely horrifying and real.

Then we have Gibson who states it wasn't intended and stomps out. I bet he has more going with him but that was a total lie and we know it, right? Perhaps the death wasn't but the striking of him was! Perhaps killing the one Japanese who could stand up to him will make him self reflect and change quite drastically... "Give him back!", Goro cried tackling the leg of the man who killed his dad. Like, wow. I'm so glad Hoshino took him in. He had 3 people in his life, Honda, Hoshino, and Toshi for crying out loud. He needs someone who he can trust like Hoshino. I'm glad he seemed okay in his 9 year old time skip, but I'm sure he's not 100% well. At least now the story starts with Goro having his dad's spirit within him and him going on his own journey in the baby leagues.

Amazing episode, that was one strong introduction. It let us understand exactly why he is the way he is with the role model he had and why his ambitions are so and it made me one sad baby.
Oct 23, 2019 1:51 PM

Jul 2014
I was spoiled on his death years ago.
i told myself not to get attached yet i did. ;-;
Nov 14, 2019 4:59 PM

Sep 2018
Oh my god!!!!!! That's so hard for 6 yrs old kid :( why???????!!!!!!! I feel sad for Goro T-----T Why they didn't check up his head first after the game?!!! Why wait for the next day!!! Grrr
I feel sad for Momoko, her love story ended so fast :( This is really sad :(

I cry too when Goro cry T-----T my heart hurts :(
Jun 28, 2020 5:42 AM

Dec 2007
the moment Goro realised.. just made me cry so much 'tll the end of the episode.
if your compare this ep to the 1st ep of Cross Game i thing this one is better, not only i get attached to Goro's father but the anime didn't shouted his death but let the watcher be emotional.
i wonder if Joe Gibson lied to make them feel better or he really telling the truth...
Aug 26, 2020 6:15 PM

Oct 2015
That really got to me. I'm actually heart broken and I'm only 6 episodes in to an anime I was like "Oooh baseball" about.

My feelings...
Dec 15, 2020 11:17 PM
Mar 2016
That was really heartbreaking and unexpected :(
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why does S2 look worse than S1?

J-Skillet - May 10

2 by J-Skillet »»
May 11, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 5 Discussion

Knave - May 14, 2009

33 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 22 Discussion

removed-user - Dec 30, 2009

40 by Cam1922 »»
May 16, 2023 8:09 AM

» Is there Romance in this series.

_winterbear_ - Sep 14, 2022

4 by Unowen »»
Sep 14, 2022 3:49 PM

Poll: » Major S1 Episode 17 Discussion

TowardsTheStars - Apr 20, 2012

21 by ims-tokyo »»
Jul 3, 2022 9:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.