Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 31, 2020 1:30 AM

Aug 2018
arzor_blades26 said:

Ah, you got it right, we should be able to work in a group, true. But well, the problem is actually on the way how they do it, not why. I might say that they worked in the wrong way, but hey, people have their own opinions about something so I gladly accept your opinion about it.

I'd still call it pathologizing, because it's only accepting one side of the coin.. They're not only working together in wrong way.. Yeah, they make mistakes, but that's part of the process.. Also what Hachiman and Yukino do in the end - instead of fixing things, and learning how to work together better - they decide that they rather not work together at all.. And Haruno encourages it, saying that Hachiman should only watch from the side, support from the side.. That's all very questionable, to be honest..
Aug 31, 2020 1:34 AM
Jun 2020
katie_potaty said:
Yukino telling Hikki to choose Yui and Hikki agreeing is pretty insulting to Yui in a lot of ways, plus they haven't taken her thoughts and opinion into consideration. It feels like betraying everything they've been through and mean to each other to just settle for this outcome that none of them will be happy with.

The whole idea of co-dependency has poisoned their relationship and caused them to make hasty decisions in order to try to desperately prove they aren't co-dependent. I just hope the story doesn't end this way and they can have even a small amount of happiness.
Well, Yukino's side has been ignored in the anime, she didnt rehect just because of codependency, theres a lot of reasons, but anime doesnt show that.. too busy dragging pointless yui filler, they even butchered ep 8, since it was supposed to be more hurtful than ep 4, such a bad adaptation, only people who read the source know its the worst season now.. but anime only cant see that.. cant blame them really.. the source and the anime are two different worlds at this point..
Aug 31, 2020 1:37 AM
Jun 2020
yushuf said:
For me, this show is less and less enjoyable because Hachiman is trying to be too nice rather than just deciding on what he likes. It’s painful to see everyone ignore all the obvious cues and Hachiman letting Yukino take responsibility for ending the love triangle than doing it himself. It’s really annoying and completely different from the first season where he didn’t give a crap about being hated but did what he felt was right.

Also if this is the “point”, then the series is going about it in such a circuitous manner. Verbose writing doesn’t mean good writing. And Oregairu is an anime that thinks it’s rly doing something different just because it uses fancier language like codepedency and nihilistic characters. Being different doesn’t mean being good.
The anime is trash now, read the LN, then you'll see, even manga is fine, the anime and ln have always been worlds different..
Aug 31, 2020 1:41 AM
Jun 2020
NekoshiNailz said:
I suggest, polyamory. They clearly like each other, this makes no fucking sense, I'd even dare to say that there's more love between the girls than with Hikigaya. Like, the way they look at eachother, come on.

Again, Polyamory. Yui keeps saying she wants it all. So, why the eff not.
Its just anime being vague, if you wanna see how hachiman views Yukino, its completely different and it hasnt been shown in the anime ever, he thinks of her all the time, but anime is busy making yui filler drag eps, read the ln or even simpler, manga to understand... anime and source are worlds different now
Aug 31, 2020 6:42 AM
Jun 2017
i have nothing to say about how yukinon ended their competition with hachiman... and that is by granting yui's wish....

is this the right path Yukinon has decided? well lets see that in the future episode

and in next weeks episode--- YUI WILL BE ALL IN FOR HACHIMAN... HAHAHA
Aug 31, 2020 12:27 PM

Mar 2014
Though once they figure out the situation, I trust that Yukino will realise that Hachiman with Yui won’t work and that Yui won’t hold it against her.
Sep 1, 2020 9:04 AM

May 2018
Rip Hikki 'lost' the battle

There is a lot of meaning in this episode that I would have missed if I didn't watch carefully wow!
Sep 1, 2020 2:05 PM

Apr 2016
I’m a bit confused about what’s going on but fine, let’s see xD
Sep 2, 2020 5:41 AM
Apr 2020
Did know when hachiman asks yui to what she wants
Then yui replied that she wants everything

Thats hilarious
I don't ever expect that yui said this in that situation
Abhinandan2002Sep 2, 2020 5:45 AM
Sep 2, 2020 10:00 PM

Oct 2010
Yukino is right, Yui is cute. Boring episode, I liked the beach stuff and the fact that Shizuka-sensei invited Hikki to ramen. You all know what that means, first it's ramen, then a cold beer, then dinner, then bam!!! Sensei gets a piece of Hikki in her apartment. Please tell me we're going to have this
Sep 2, 2020 11:02 PM

Oct 2012
yushuf said:
For me, this show is less and less enjoyable because Hachiman is trying to be too nice rather than just deciding on what he likes. It’s painful to see everyone ignore all the obvious cues and Hachiman letting Yukino take responsibility for ending the love triangle than doing it himself. It’s really annoying and completely different from the first season where he didn’t give a crap about being hated but did what he felt was right.

Also if this is the “point”, then the series is going about it in such a circuitous manner. Verbose writing doesn’t mean good writing. And Oregairu is an anime that thinks it’s rly doing something different just because it uses fancier language like codepedency and nihilistic characters. Being different doesn’t mean being good.

I'm mostly an anime only guy, but I did end up reading vol14. While subtle, the motivations are at display in the anime.

Hachiman being different from S1 is at the core of this story. Over the seasons he has changed. You are right, in S1, he didn't give a crap and did things he thought were right. But we see the repercussions of that in S2. That was one of the biggest themes in that season, Hachiman realizing how his methods were just wrong and not helping anyone but feed his own selfishness. We see that with what happened with Tobe, Rumi and Isshiki. His whole speech about wanting something genuine comes from his realization that his methods were and are wrong.

Hachiman has had trouble expressing his feelings. We see that about him throughout the entire series. He's genuinely scared to do it. He has not yet come to terms with how he feels and how to express it. That is one of the most important growth we should get to see in the coming episodes. Him agreeing to grant Yukino's wish to grant Yui's wish was what he agreed upon in S1, and so he must follow through with it.

He isn't trying to be nice. At this point in time, both we and Hachiman know that Yukino is haunted by codependency. And while not at full display according to LN readers, we see hints of Yukino thinking Yui is a better choice for him. We see the symbolic "letting him go" during the penguin scene. Hachiman at this point knows that if he were to confess, she would reject him.
Sep 3, 2020 6:55 AM

Feb 2019
I've just rewatched the episode now. Didn't have time last week to post here because I just got out of quarantine.

With this episode, it's definitely the beginning of the end. We're entering the last arc of OreGairu. I can't believe we're already so near the end... I'm sad...

Just when I think I finally understand how things look, Haruno is there to turn the entire table on its head. She always throws in thoughts that put my entire view of the situation in doubt. I guess that is Haruno for you.

Hachiman's strategies never cease to amaze, even if they're not conventional and not what people would always consider 'good'. I might've misunderstood, but he did use the fact that he was victim of the accident caused by Yukinoshita's car to his advantage in convincing Yukino's mother right?

And again, I thought I understood what was going on, especially from that opening scene with Hachiman explaining to Hayato why he was doing this. But once Yukino said that in the end, she still relied on him, I was presented with yet another way to see it, and something that's more correct I think. In the end, she still relied on him and had faith that he would solve it. In the end, she was still dependent on him. And now their relationship is at an end and she wants Hachiman to grant Yui's wish. But now I'm honestly confused, what is Yui's wish in this regard?

From the PV for next episode, what I'm thinking currently is preserving the relationship for her. She gets Hachiman, and she maintains her friendship with Yukino? But she also wants the relationship of all three of them to remain intact. Is that what Yukino intends to do as well?

The end game is finally here...
Sep 3, 2020 7:17 AM

Oct 2012
Shikkakku said:
I've just rewatched the episode now. Didn't have time last week to post here because I just got out of quarantine.

With this episode, it's definitely the beginning of the end. We're entering the last arc of OreGairu. I can't believe we're already so near the end... I'm sad...

Just when I think I finally understand how things look, Haruno is there to turn the entire table on its head. She always throws in thoughts that put my entire view of the situation in doubt. I guess that is Haruno for you.

Hachiman's strategies never cease to amaze, even if they're not conventional and not what people would always consider 'good'. I might've misunderstood, but he did use the fact that he was victim of the accident caused by Yukinoshita's car to his advantage in convincing Yukino's mother right?

And again, I thought I understood what was going on, especially from that opening scene with Hachiman explaining to Hayato why he was doing this. But once Yukino said that in the end, she still relied on him, I was presented with yet another way to see it, and something that's more correct I think. In the end, she still relied on him and had faith that he would solve it. In the end, she was still dependent on him. And now their relationship is at an end and she wants Hachiman to grant Yui's wish. But now I'm honestly confused, what is Yui's wish in this regard?

From the PV for next episode, what I'm thinking currently is preserving the relationship for her. She gets Hachiman, and she maintains her friendship with Yukino? But she also wants the relationship of all three of them to remain intact. Is that what Yukino intends to do as well?

Yukino wants this to end. Her true wish is to be with Hachiman, but that would mean hurting Yui, her only friend. She is also high on "codependency" and wishes to remove herself from them so she can be independent. However, once they go their separate ways, given their personalities, they are unlikely to go back to how they were.

Yui's wish is to still have everything- date Hachiman and keep Yukino as her friend.

And yes, he did use the accident to his advantage. But from the smugness from her, it's safe to assume she's just going along with it for entertainment.
Sep 3, 2020 11:31 AM

Jan 2014
"We're in the endgame now" -Dr. Strange

I feel like Haruno threw gasoline into the already burning flames. They could have solved it all without adult intervention but Haruno apparently has nothing better to do but butt into her sister's friendship circle/high schoolers. It's all about perspective. Hachiman wanted to "help" without directly helping. Yukino could have seen it from the other perspective but because of Haruno's intervening, she had to see it super cut-dry. Adding to this, Haruno was correct that Yui has to be the mature one. Basically, Yui is the main glue keeping the crew together. That broke Yui again :(

I like how Hayama sounds like he's concern for Hachiman but it seems he's just more concern about Yukino.

The meeting with Yukino's mom was actually super well-thought out by Hachiman. He knew he had a trump card so he can use a possible "favor" owed to him by the Yukinoshita's. Yukimom even saw through Hachiman's initial plan but still ended up giving Hachiman what he wanted. I feel like there was meeting at the PTO cut out for time but idk since I have not read the LN.

On another note, Hachiman got seriously upset that Yukino went the route that she did considering Hachiman tried his best to satisfy everyone's wishes: keep the group going and prove the codependency wrong. However, it's sounds like Yukino just gave up her win to Yui directly. I want to know what Yui's wish is, if it is what I think it is.
I just want to say, I'm not sure why Yukino is so freaking upset. She used to be independent and she was "fine." She found out she can rely on others and even happy because she was able to enjoy things she never thought she could, but then all of a sudden she can't be independent anymore cause she became so "codependent." There's a really good middle ground and that's all she needs to be happy.

Beach episode lmao. So this is what Wataru was talking about when he said "there will be a fan-service episode" lmao. We got to see old characters like Ebina and Yumiko (had to look up the name again cause it's been a minute). This really is starting to feel like the end. Also, it feels like Iroha's overarching arc ended as well.
zeron824Sep 3, 2020 11:37 AM
Sep 3, 2020 5:34 PM

Feb 2019
Knight said:
Shikkakku said:

Yukino wants this to end. Her true wish is to be with Hachiman, but that would mean hurting Yui, her only friend. She is also high on "codependency" and wishes to remove herself from them so she can be independent. However, once they go their separate ways, given their personalities, they are unlikely to go back to how they were.

Yui's wish is to still have everything- date Hachiman and keep Yukino as her friend.

And yes, he did use the accident to his advantage. But from the smugness from her, it's safe to assume she's just going along with it for entertainment.

Ah, I understand. It seems I did get the gist of it after all.

On Yukino's mom, I definitely think so too. I think it unlikely that Yukino's mom out of all people could be as easily guilt-tripped or manipulated like that. She definitely went along with it for her own pleasure.
Sep 3, 2020 5:37 PM

Aug 2018
Man they are so bad in conveying their feelings especially our boy Hachiman he priotitizing mostly others now instead of himself,like you rather sacrifice yourself and what you really wants for the betterment of others. I kinda see myself to her its easy to say just reach your feelings to others but in real life its really hard when you always thinking and afraid of the outcome.

Imagine being invited by pretty sensei what a lucky boy Hachiman!

Also notice that they focusing more on Yui feelings and monologue than Yukino and even to Hachiman we as watcher should know what they really feels not just Yui.
SOP-IISep 3, 2020 5:46 PM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Sep 3, 2020 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
Tsuukaku-Zanryuu said:
Man they are so bad in conveying their feelings especially our boy Hachiman he priotitizing mostly others now instead of himself,like you rather sacrifice yourself and what you really wants for the betterment of others. I kinda see myself to her its easy to say just reach your feelings to others but in real life its really hard when you always thinking and afraid of the outcome.

I thought I understood his character but this season threw my off. Is he still as dense as he was in season one (not noticing Yui basically throwing herself at him) or does he know they're both interested and he's distancing himself on purpose?
Sep 3, 2020 7:40 PM

Oct 2008
Yukino told 8man won and also to grant Yui's wish...but at the end of the line it's gonna be MC's decision after all huh...
oh man that tears of Yukino...HHNNNGGG! lolz
5/5.
the overdramatic goes on!
matias067Sep 3, 2020 7:44 PM

Sep 3, 2020 11:45 PM

Oct 2012
Wonton90 said:

I thought I understood his character but this season threw my off. Is he still as dense as he was in season one (not noticing Yui basically throwing herself at him) or does he know they're both interested and he's distancing himself on purpose?

He knows. We've seen him reject Yui's advances throughout the series. We also get to see how uncomfortable he is with all of this. And yes, you are right. He is using her as a distraction, she's just a convenient excuse.
Sep 4, 2020 4:50 PM

Aug 2018
Wonton90 said:
Tsuukaku-Zanryuu said:

Even from the start of the series he dont like cheerful girls like Yui and look how uncomfortable 8man to her compared to Yukinon. Also he knows it its just the anime didnt blatantly showing it to the viewers especially to non novel readers they want them to guess his true feelings.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Sep 4, 2020 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
Away with this codependency bullshit! They are teenagers ffs, they should act spontaneously based on their emotions, not to ponder over literally everything thousand times before the act.

Honestly, I'm torn with this episode. One one hand it was interesting battle of minds effectively bringing means to the end while still leading to stalemate, but on the other hand it was artificial shit with high-school characters speaking like they were chess figures carefully planning each of their coming moves.

This series almost feels like old-school RPG when you have to go through all challenges, clear all the stages and defeat all bosses to get to the one and only possible end. But this is not how real life works.

Good for Hachiman that he found a way through Yukinoshita mother defenses (I completely forgot about that car accident in the beginning) but with Haruno's meddling and Yukino x Hachiman conversation later I can't help myself but facepalm. It almost feels like they are doing the exact opposite of what they want and I literally struggle to find any sense in their in-series decisions. The moreso when it effectively lead nowhere as a) Hachiman helped her anyway, b] she didn't grow at all.
tl;dr: whole this arc was meaningless as it try to prove they should stop their unhealthy relationship yet effectively this all leads to them all being unhappy.

In fact, Yui is probably the only normal character in this gordic knot. Yet I can't see her happy either as if her wish is to be granted they will be all together again. Meanwhile Iroha became almost completely irelevant in this season, sigh. Interesting part about Hayama being literally the one who is responsible for Haruno today. But again, all of this are just devices for plot to work and more than real life it feel like social puzzle all characters have to navigate.

Have to say Yukino is the least likeable at this point. She really should seek psychiatrist as what she's doing all the time is really unhealthy. Honestly, at this point, I would say their relationship is beyond saving as everything is so convoluted I can't picture them having healthy relationship anytime in the future, so their splitting from each other is probably the only good choice.

The preview was really promising, hinting Hiki and Yui date (he keeps blushing near to her if that's to mean anything, he just can have fun with Yukino at all). But as with tons of similiar romance dramas, we all know the girl that gets to the spotlight before the end is actually the one that lose and I honestly hate it as throughout all the series there was very little that would provide any room for romantic development between Hachiman and Yukino, in fact, such scenes were pretty much non-existent so it seems they would be forcing things in the end.
Sep 5, 2020 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
Knight said:
He knows. We've seen him reject Yui's advances throughout the series. We also get to see how uncomfortable he is with all of this. And yes, you are right. He is using her as a distraction, she's just a convenient excuse.

That line from the season two ending credits is still on point.

Tsuukaku-Zanryuu said:
Even from the start of the series he dont like cheerful girls like Yui and look how uncomfortable 8man to her compared to Yukinon. Also he knows it its just the anime didnt blatantly showing it to the viewers especially to non novel readers they want them to guess his true feelings.

I'm reading the novels at the same time, but as of yet there's no way to (legally) get translations for any of the books past volume nine. Volumes ten and ten point five aren't due until January 2021 and season three is due to finish this month. Honestly I think they're doing it on purpose, they know people will be craving more Oregairu once season three ends, so they'll drip feed us the last few novels. They could always translate and port the VNs to mobile and PC, instead, just a thought!
Sep 5, 2020 9:02 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I am honestly quiet unsatisfied by how fast the end game had been launched up for them, really, i had a bad taste on my mouth with whatever happened on this one!

However, i might take some positivity, the end should be launched. 4 episodes left. It seems the real deal of their competition ended up being a misleading again, as expected, their youth life was wrong. So, with Yukino's last word finally been released, and my boy Hachiman just aggreed with it, its over for me. The rest was their truth conclusion, until its last seconds of chance. Well, i am bit trippy again. But what could i do to prevent it? Its just how Oregairu resolved their plot into some unconvinient condition. Shit. Its too heavy! Lets see how they respond in the next episode!

Tldr: The first scene conversation absolutely increased my mood. But, Hachiman denied it. Yukino sister, once again, solidified the reason again. Once again, everyone just ignored it. However, Yui need more explanations, but ended up in more confussion for her. Ah, Yukino sister really love to play around. Nice mention, Hayato.

Tldr 2: The beach scenes were nice. Ebina had an appearance again which was too good to be true. And her words for Hachiman, indeed a true blessings for me! Ah, if only she had more screen time. But, to hell with her. Its about Hachiman with her duo angel correlations! The finalization somehow ended up too fast. I am a bit unsatisfied. However, the real deal against Yukino mother surely gave me such an intensed feeling. Damn, Hachiman. I never expected you to used your past as your Ace Card. But, somehow its just resonated very well with Yukino's mother intentions. Yeah, they both reach a deal. The climax of their prom problems finally reach its end. Thank you very much! After that, yes, its the final deal of Yukino. No. I don't want it to be a final. They must teased so hard into thinking she just surrender like that. So, i shall skipped it to see what the fuck was goin on in the next episode!

However, Hachiman must be knewing the real intentions of her. And he must be satisfied me, once again, at their final seconds! Lets see the next episode first, then! I am too much comment the nonsense again. Forgive me!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 20, 2020 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
ok so prom is approved, and it finally looks like things will progress with both the prom and the love triangle. I guess these final 4 episodes will be great.
Sep 22, 2020 7:49 AM
Jun 2016
Does haruno like hayato? I feel she like hayato
Sep 26, 2020 9:12 AM

Nov 2018
White Album 2 once again , but with happy end this time?
I hate everyone equally
Sep 26, 2020 7:58 PM

Nov 2014
Hachiman words in the beginning about his "determination of man" tho..... :D

and.. beach photoshoot yeay.., nice to see some old faces like Ebina & Yumiko, and somehow Hayato once again kinda annoying on insisting about the 3 codependency, especaily when he likes Yukino i assume ?...

it seems, 8man "won" the battle because of his plan succeed on making Yukino's prom get accepted. still.. in the end the rollercoaster feeling came again from Yukino this time... she asked 8man to fullfill Yui wishes
her expression was beautiful yet sad and the same time...
Can't wait to see 8man resolve on this...

r16fourarmSep 26, 2020 8:02 PM
Oct 2, 2020 5:22 AM

Jun 2020
Yes more leg screentime..that was an amazing episode, still Yukino was not happy about it and they had an amazing friendship Yukino wanted to grant Yui's wish that was truly depressing..ahhh can't wait to watch it tomorrow.
Oct 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Jul 2019
Endgame flag. Sheeesh.
Oct 11, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2020
His plan really so extreme but in the end he lost and help Yukinon again. 8man is still have a strong self-confidence.
Oct 26, 2020 9:28 AM

Aug 2018
The part when Hikigaya was talking to Yukino's mom was by far the best this episode.

Oct 27, 2020 12:28 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I guess that was... pretty touching actually.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 5, 2020 3:44 PM
Jan 2016
I'm not sure I understand how Hachiman convinced Yukino's mom. I thought she was behind the whole thing (to test Yukino's resolve or whatnot), why would she fold so easily? And if that's all it took, what was the point of the whole fake prom business? Couldn't Hachiman meet with her any other way?
Nov 10, 2020 4:59 PM

Aug 2014
This is rly strange. Yukino knows the wish of Yui that she would want to be girlfriend of Hikki, but she doesn't know that her other wish is three of them keep spending time together? Then I bet that Hikki doesn't know any of the girls wishes. So how can he just walk away and go try to grant Yui wish if he doesn't get it? Not to mention that Yui knows also that Yukino likes Hikigaya.
Only no one knows that Yukino doesn't know what she want ;]
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 14, 2020 3:54 AM

May 2016
That ended fast what just happened,I either missed that car accident or they just never showed it,
and if Yukinoshita's mother persuade them can she make them accept the prom in the first place?

this drama I hope it ends in a good way.
Nov 14, 2020 3:58 AM
Apr 2019
Raizel said:
That ended fast what just happened,I either missed that car accident or they just never showed it,
and if Yukinoshita's mother persuade them can she make them accept the prom in the first place?

car accident was shown in the first season, Remember what led to Hachiman saying "I hate nice girls"? It was THIS accident. (S1 ep4-5)
Nov 14, 2020 4:03 AM

May 2016
NakolHira said:
Raizel said:

car accident was shown in the first season, Remember what led to Hachiman saying "I hate nice girls"? It was THIS accident. (S1 ep4-5)

You sure are fast, I guess just shows how much you love the series, anyway thanks for the info.
Nov 14, 2020 4:19 AM
Apr 2019
pip25 said:
I'm not sure I understand how Hachiman convinced Yukino's mom. I thought she was behind the whole thing (to test Yukino's resolve or whatnot), why would she fold so easily? And if that's all it took, what was the point of the whole fake prom business? Couldn't Hachiman meet with her any other way?

Yukinoshita mom aka Yukimama didn’t want the prom because it MIGHT harm her family reputation since It's unconventional in Japan. In reality, she doesn’t care about prom, she would have resisted to anything that she feared it MAY or MAY NOT harm her family reputation in future. She does NOT want to take any risk.

She wasn’t behind anything except she tried to resist the prom, by saying many parents are concerned. Did you get to see any of those "Concerned" parents? In ep8 Hachiman also asked her to introduce him to those parents, but she avoided that. In this case, there may or may not be any concerned parents except Yukimama. I'm just giving you the context of the situation.

Like Yukimama, Hachiman also didn’t care about prom. All he wanted is to help Yukino, in his own way of course. He thought if he made a fake prom which wouldn’t have any teachers or student council's control, it will be more chaotic than Yukino's prom which has school authorities permission and will be inspected by teachers and student council. He thought seeing the possibility of the situation escalating in a way that would have the worst possible outcome, Yukimama will have no choice but to agree with Yukino's prom to prevent the fake prom happening.

But Hachiman was wrong. Yukimama didn’t care about what happens in the prom, she cares who is in charge of the prom. In the fake prom's case, it wasn’t Yukino, so Yukimama didn’t care whether it took place or not. To put it simple, She will prevent any prom that has Yukino in charge.

At this moment, Hachiman understood it. So he tried to play different trick, using his past accident incidents as a way to earn her sympathy and convince her. He didn’t care whether it looked like he was blackmailing her or not. You can see Hiratsuka Sensei tried to stop him when he was about to tell his full name.

Now, Yukimama was surprised to see a boy trying his best to help her little daughter. She found it amusing, and it wasn’t surprising since every characters in ep5-8 questioned Hachiman why he was going to this extent. Ebina, Hayama, Totsuka, Iroha, even Yui asked him why he needed to arrange a fake prom when Ebina bluntly spitted "It’s clear from the outside", so from outside it was clear what was going with Hachiman and Yukino. It wasn't surprising that Yukimama also started to get that and so she decided to humour him.

At last Yukimama was convinced, not because of any of the vile tricks Hachiman used, but simply his strong resolve to help Yukino led her to agree with the prom, she wanted to see more of Hachiman so she gave him a chance.
Nov 14, 2020 6:11 AM
Jan 2016
Thanks for the explanation, but these two things you say seem to contradict each other.
NakolHira said:

In reality, she doesn’t care about prom, she would have resisted to anything that she feared it MAY or MAY NOT harm her family reputation in future. She does NOT want to take any risk.

NakolHira said:
But Hachiman was wrong. Yukimama didn’t care about what happens in the prom, she cares who is in charge of the prom. In the fake prom's case, it wasn’t Yukino, so Yukimama didn’t care whether it took place or not. To put it simple, She will prevent any prom that has Yukino in charge.

So did she want to stop it because of how it'd affect her family's reputation, or did she want to stop it because Yukino was leading the effort? Because the existence of the prom could cause bad PR even without Yukino's leadership.

Also, if she's so adamant about either possibility, how come a little "amusement" is all it takes to change her mind? She's been described as a woman who always gets her way, this does not seem to fit that.
Nov 14, 2020 6:33 AM
Apr 2019
pip25 said:
Thanks for the explanation, but these two things you say seem to contradict each other.
NakolHira said:

In reality, she doesn’t care about prom, she would have resisted to anything that she feared it MAY or MAY NOT harm her family reputation in future. She does NOT want to take any risk.

NakolHira said:

So did she want to stop it because of how it'd affect her family's reputation, or did she want to stop it because Yukino was leading the effort? Because the existence of the prom could cause bad PR even without Yukino's leadership.

Also, if she's so adamant about either possibility, how come a little "amusement" is all it takes to change her mind? She's been described as a woman who always gets her way, this does not seem to fit that.
1. Prom is an unconventional event in Japan. Now Let's think, if somehow prom turns out to create controversy amongst people. They will say, "Ah the Yukinoshita girl was in charge of this event. I don't know what she was trying to do, but she really didn’t need to do it. After all she comes from a well-regarded family"
Yukimama feared this, hence her resistance. She is someone who wants to erase any sort of problem which may become a problem in future but not now, so her taken steps is a bit difficult to get behind. Note that if Yukino wasn’t involved with prom arrangement, I doubt she would have resisted as much as she's doing now. Remember Haruno said "That woman doesn’t care about prom"

2. Yeah, It's true her change of mindset is a bit convenient,if we only talk about her adamant personality. But let's look at the narrative, since Hachiman started to plan for a fake prom, how many times he has been questioned by other characters. "Why are you doing this? " "Why do you want to oppose Yukino's prom to ultimately make her prom happening? " "Why do you want to help Yukino? "

It's pretty clear what narrative is trying to indicate, to the viewers and to Hachiman. But he is more stubborn than any characters, he even described it as "Man's pride" when Hayama asked for it. In Oregairu, there aren't many adult characters who can guide you properly, except Sensei. She didn’t try to budge until Hachiman hit the wall. So minor characters, who surely are not as sensible as an adult character like Sensei, are able to understand what was going with Hachiman and Yukino.
What I want to say, even for outsiders who barely gets to interact with Hachiman, understands what he's trying to do despite whatever nonsense he spits. So It's not unreasonable for Yukimama, who is a smart lady, would understand by his action that Hachiman has a thing for Yukino.

There's another reason, which came with a side story of the light novel. Apparently, Mr. Yukinoshita is quite similar to Hachiman, so she might have seen her husband's shadow in Hachiman. Yukimama is also known to appreciate hardworking people, so it might be another thing.

That's all I can say for it.
Nov 14, 2020 7:15 AM
Jan 2016
NakolHira said:

1. Prom is an unconventional event in Japan. Now Let's think, if somehow prom turns out to create controversy amongst people. They will say, "Ah the Yukinoshita girl was in charge of this event. I don't know what she was trying to do, but she really didn’t need to do it. After all she comes from a well-regarded family"
Yukimama feared this, hence her resistance.

Does that mean if Yukino backed out of the prom's organizing committee, she would have let the whole thing go ahead? Because, considering how Yukino kept trying to appease the PTA's demands, if that is the case it's odd that she did not give that a try. She was merely helping out there, after all, she wasn't the one who came up with the idea of the prom nor was she the main organizer for it.

NakolHira said:

2. Yeah, It's true her change of mindset is a bit convenient,if we only talk about her adamant personality. But let's look at the narrative, since Hachiman started to plan for a fake prom, how many times he has been questioned by other characters. "Why are you doing this? " "Why do you want to oppose Yukino's prom to ultimately make her prom happening? " "Why do you want to help Yukino? "

And I did not understand those questions either. Even if (just for the sake of the argument) Hachiman had no romantic feelings towards Yukino, she was still his friend. Why wouldn't he help her? The only reason his assistance took such a convoluted form was because Yukino would not accept his help directly.
If this is what it took to impress Yukino's mom, well, okay, but it did not exactly feel like an extraordinary accomplishment.
Nov 14, 2020 7:41 AM
Apr 2019
pip25 said:
NakolHira said:

Yukimama feared this, hence her resistance.

Does that mean if Yukino backed out of the prom's organizing committee, she would have let the whole thing go ahead? Because, considering how Yukino kept trying to appease the PTA's demands, if that is the case it's odd that she did not give that a try. She was merely helping out there, after all, she wasn't the one who came up with the idea of the prom nor was she the main organizer for it.

NakolHira said:

And I did not understand those questions either. Even if (just for the sake of the argument) Hachiman had no romantic feelings towards Yukino, she was still his friend. Why wouldn't he help her? The only reason his assistance took such a convoluted form was because Yukino would not accept his help directly.
If this is what it took to impress Yukino's mom, well, okay, but it did not exactly feel like an extraordinary accomplishment.

1. She already jumped into the field, I bet after all she spoke about etiquettes and concern for students well being she would just back out if suddenly Yukino gets off the screen. She has to have a solid excuse to change her mindset.

2. Haha, apparently that's what Gahama-chan wanted to believe. She even said this to Haruno "She is our friend, why can't we help her? "
Well, nobody buys into her words.

I doubt one friend can do this much for another despite getting denied by that said friend continuously. Hell, the other friend, Yuigahama already left Yukino alone despite knowing she is not capable of doing "MANY" things alone. Hayama, the person who was a "friend" of Yukino in elementary school, left her alone thinking she might solve this on her own. Unlike them, Hachiman believes and understands Yukino's limit,despite whatever she says.If you consider Hachiman's usual attitude, he is supposed to be that "I don't care" type person, yet he always goes beyond his limit and discover of what he is capable of,everytime when Yukino is suffering or simply just to stay acquainted with her.
Now, just going beyond his limit to help a person, not every relationship defined by friendship can achieve this. Just think, Hachiman even tried to persuade Yukimama by bringing the point "where is the other concerned guardians you were talking about? " not every teenagers would have thought this far to help his friend. Not to mention this is already a fiction with romance as a potential genre.

Yeah, it can simply just stay inside friendship category,like what happens between Yui and Hachiman. Despite generally staying more careful around her, Hachiman treasures their friendship.
But when I have this slightest possibility that it might not be just friendship, it could be more, why wouldn’t I buy into that?
For a extremely careful person like Yukimama, It's natural she would suspect it at first. Now why did she think to give Hachiman a chance to see where It's going, I already said it before, not every teenagers can dare to challenge a powerful woman like her, more to add Hachiman resembles her husband and she generally appreciates hardworking people. So, there are enough reasons for her to think Hachiman might have a thing for Yukino and enough impressions to give a chance to Hachiman.
Nov 14, 2020 8:17 AM
Jan 2016
NakolHira said:

I doubt one friend can do this much for another despite getting denied by that said friend continuously. Hell, the other friend, Yuigahama already left Yukino alone despite knowing she is not capable of doing "MANY" things alone. Hayama, the person who was a "friend" of Yukino in elementary school, left her alone thinking she might solve this on her own. Unlike them, Hachiman believes and understands Yukino's limit,despite whatever she says.

To me, all that means is that, as Yukino's friends, both Hayama and Yui have dropped the ball. It is exactly because friends understand each other's limits that they should have been aware that Yukino would not be able to do this without their help. Of course, both of them had their excuses why they wouldn't step up to the plate, but that does not make their decision any less incorrect.
True friendship is hard. If it wasn't, I think the series wouldn't go out of its way to angst about what is "genuine" and what isn't.

Now make no mistake, I will in no way deny that Hachiman is romantically attracted to Yukino. I'm just having a hard time accepting this whole event as his roundabout declaration of love, as something that one needs to go beyond friendship to do. Maybe that's just me.
Nov 14, 2020 8:25 AM
Apr 2019
pip25 said:
NakolHira said:

I doubt one friend can do this much for another despite getting denied by that said friend continuously. Hell, the other friend, Yuigahama already left Yukino alone despite knowing she is not capable of doing "MANY" things alone. Hayama, the person who was a "friend" of Yukino in elementary school, left her alone thinking she might solve this on her own. Unlike them, Hachiman believes and understands Yukino's limit,despite whatever she says.

To me, all that means is that, as Yukino's friends, both Hayama and Yui have dropped the ball. It is exactly because friends understand each other's limits that they should have been aware that Yukino would not be able to do this without their help. Of course, both of them had their excuses why they wouldn't step up to the plate, but that does not make their decision any less incorrect.
True friendship is hard. If it wasn't, I think the series wouldn't go out of its way to angst about what is "genuine" and what isn't.

Now make no mistake, I will in no way deny that Hachiman is romantically attracted to Yukino. I'm just having a hard time accepting this whole event as his roundabout declaration of love, as something that one needs to go beyond friendship to do. Maybe that's just me.
I'm glad you can appreciate them. I think it's bothersome to have people like Hachiman or Yukino as your friends since both of them have some weird ideology as well as poor communication skills. Good thing is Oregairu always have tried to criticize Hachiman. Even the title suggests it (My teen romantic comedy is "WRONG" as expected) So rest assured, Oregairu encourage you to be the exact opposite of Hachiman, with his journey It's expected you will be able to understand his mistakes and learn from it like Hachiman did.
Dec 18, 2020 9:32 AM

Aug 2017
Hachiman lost but at least the prom arc is close to an end. I fucking hate Yukino's mom.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 19, 2020 8:17 PM
Dec 2016
You know what, I started to think that Hachiman is a MILF magnet
Dec 31, 2020 10:24 AM
Jul 2020
Yukino GOAT? Of course she is.
Jan 1, 2021 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
And we return to everyone getting hung up over a word Haruno says. Rather than codependency, their relationship is closer to being called love-triangle (what Hikki said at first).

the end is approaching now that the first prom hurdle is dealt with, we return to resolving the relationship issues between the 3 of them next...
Feb 20, 2021 6:56 PM

Jan 2020
Well I'm quite nervous about how this going to end, but I felt that something is missing. Like why more of Yukino's family is in the part of the story rather than Yui's family.
Feb 27, 2021 12:13 PM

Jan 2015
I think only Hachiman's cat hasn't cried yet.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Yukinoshita yukino in her tuxedo :may I have this dance?

zx1234yousif - Sep 10

7 by ANIk_003 »»
Sep 11, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 17, 2020

423 by topfloorboss45 »»
Aug 13, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Jul 30, 2020

285 by topfloorboss45 »»
Aug 10, 8:30 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 24, 2020

492 by Shikamotoxxx »»
Jul 4, 1:36 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cchigu - Sep 10, 2020

166 by ViSpace »»
Jun 6, 7:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.