Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2020 10:02 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode covering Chapters 81 (the leftovers) & 83, the aftermath of Rin's tragedy, and preparing for the school festival.

Vice Prez Manabe's exchange with Yuki doesn't get long until Machi freaks out again, and leaving Manabe to her seems like the best solution, to secretary Nao's chagrin. And finally getting to know both Manabe and Machi's situation as siblings, but raised in different families. Something like Rin's but only more competitive in proving who's the superior child.

Manabe has achieved his freedom in rebellion, but Machi is still stuck in unpleasantness. To be able to be happy-go-lucky in situations like these, we don't deserve people like Manabe to live life in pretty bad circumstances and yet encourage us to walk one step more.

HEH, spreading rumors before the actual festival? Only one person would do that, and that's Manabe. Even if Machi's made her return, she's still quite unbalanced.

Tohru's class having a Cinderella play, but the characters are so different it's quite hilarious, for playing prince Kyou and princess Saki. Tohru being chosen as the step-sister, but she's fine with anything.

OOPS, getting locked in the room that was thwarted by Machi before, the girl herself hits her way through, but his claustrophobic nightmare from Akito still lingers whenever he sees black or is confined in a dark room.

Well well...the romantic cards are somewhat out...
KANLen09Aug 17, 2020 3:06 PM
Aug 17, 2020 11:08 AM
Aug 2019
At the start, Yuki mentions how he and Rin have something in common in what they yearn from Tohru.
Machi smashing the classroom again she looks kinda scared.
It's nice to see Yuki trying to understand Machi and also everyone got there own problems to deal with.
Kakeru acting the older brother taking care of Machi.
Yuki having a breakdown in a locked room but do not fear Machi smashed that door open.
dipItFooAug 17, 2020 10:11 PM

Aug 17, 2020 11:09 AM
Oct 2016
Interesting choice to end the episode right there with Yuki not finishing his sentence. The manga chapter this adapted said what he seeks in Tohru but they cut it off here. There's been some big hints all this season with Yuki development about what he sees in Tohru but the anime hasn't said it yet officially so I'll bite my tongue on the subject for now. Man do I love these Yuki and the Student Council episodes! Yuki the cold Prince has grown on it a fine young man this season. His growth is so beautiful to see.

Tohru herself realizing it when he went off to the Student Council meeting after the play roles were announced. Yuki has found some true comrades in the Student Council. Kakeru of course his bestest bud and now we learn some more about his past and how he connects to Machi. Step siblings used by their parents in an vicious succession feud. Horrible thing to do to your kids. I'm glad that Kakeru is free from that after his mom saw the pain it caused him. But poor Machi is still stuck in those shackles of having to be prim and proper for her mother and father. An important conversation between Yuki and Kakeru about how parents don't choose their kids and kids don't choose their parents.

Fruits Basket has shown so many different kinds of bonds and the bond between parent and child is a huge one. It really shapes us as people how we interact with our parents. Yuki and his mom maybe buttoned up wrong but their making progress too. I smiled just like he did when she actually seemed concerned about the cell phone. Kakeru is right that even if the buttons are wrong we just have to laugh it off and move forward.

Yuki realizing what he wants from Tohru is huge too. Being locked in that closet and remembering what Akito said at the beach. Loved the moment of Machi busting in with the chair to save him. She knows what it's like to be locked up by your anxious feelings. Loved this episode. Excited to see the play soon finally in the anime! It's gonna be fun. Ma boi Yuki is so grown!
Aug 17, 2020 11:26 AM
May 2017
Ah next episode is apparently gonna be frustrating, again.

Aug 17, 2020 11:31 AM

Nov 2011
I actually laughed a lot more in an episode FINALLY instead of crying more. When Yuki long armed kakeru when he found out Kakeru was the one who submitted the fireworks proposal I lost it. Plus everything that went on with the Cinderella play and all the parts distributed was comedy gold.

Honestly I think this was the funniest part in this series so far. Like I just never imagined I would hear Tohru say something so...Dark LOL

Tellatez said:
At the start, Yuki mentions how he and Rin have something in common in what they yearn from Tohru.

KANLen09 said:
[b]
"I was looking for a "Mother" in her." says Yuki, inherently pointing to Tohru. Well, at this point we already acknowledged Tohru's motherly status amongst the Somas. For Yuki, what I discern of his love is not loving Tohru romantically, but finding a motherly figure within her.

I think these two go hand in hand perfectly. That both Yuki and Rin were just looking for the support of a Female or motherly figure in their lives. Yuki knows at this point that Kyo is in love with Tohru and I don't think he wants to ruin that at all.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 17, 2020 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
lol, Kyou is going to play the prince and Saki being the princess.
Tohru being the evil step-sister is something I'm looking forward to if they show it that is.

So Manabe and Machi are half-siblings. That explains why he looks after her.

Aug 17, 2020 11:50 AM

Apr 2020
really enjoyed this episode. learning more about yuki's past and true feelings is something I always anticipate in the series.

having the seemingly eccentric members of the student council reveal their more complex characters was truly interesting, and left a heartwarming taste in my mouth after yuki realized he was able to sympathize with them, and have a mother-son moment.

a bond between a mother and a son is one of the most important bonds a boy can make in his life, and although yuki's bond with his mother is damaged, it's not broken, and can still be put back together. anticipating the next episodes documenting more of yuki's story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2020 12:00 PM

Aug 2014
We've been trying to find out what Yuki has been yearning for for almost half the season now... just come out and say it already, I don't think I can handle anymore "What I/you yearn for?"

Aug 17, 2020 12:03 PM

Feb 2018
Another really, really excellent episode. It managed to pull on my heartstrings without pouring the melodrama on too thick.

The end seemed to imply maybe Yuki wasn't yearning for anything romantic from Tohru? There was a beach scene earlier in the season with the two that definitely didn't feel like a "familial moment" but alright.

Based on this episode, and comments last week, I'm thinking Yuki x Machi will be a thing sometime in the future. She obviously relates to Yuki in some way. We'll need to find out more about her later.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 17, 2020 12:09 PM
Jul 2020
YUN-YUN ^^
Cinderella dresses in yella, went upstairs to kiss a fella. Made a mistake and kisses a snake! How many doctors will its take? 1..2..3..4..
I wonder who's gonna be cinderella hmm...

haha this was a great episode. I completely agree with the buttoned shirt reference... it's impossible to have a perfect relationship with you're parents, and you just gotta make do with it.
AryaleAug 17, 2020 12:12 PM
Aug 17, 2020 12:22 PM

Mar 2017
I think at this point it's pretty obvious what Yuki yearned for from Tohru and it's so damn sad. I love the relationship between Yuki & Kakeru; it's a fun and silly friendship but also one where they feel safe enough with each other to bare their vulnerabilities.

That scene where Machi broke down the door to get Yuki out of the cupboard was so sweet... I see a hint of things to come. I'm finding Nao really annoying; there's clearly something going on with Machi so why doesn't he get off her back?!
Aug 17, 2020 12:39 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
wow you can really see how the original creator loves yuki, he's a great character no doubt, but this season he is getting so much screen time it's unbelievable, i do like him more the more he grows and with each passing episode, and that says something considering i liked him from the start, but at the the end of the day i'm more of a year of the cat person i suppose.
hoping that there will be no contradiction between him getting developement and some of my other favorites getting more screen time within the upcoming episodes, or in the next season, since we are heading to the finish line of this season sooner rather than later unfortunately so.
Aug 17, 2020 1:42 PM

Jan 2019
Manga reader here! And I have a huge confession to make...please don't hate me for saying this (not spoilers btw)

...I have never liked the Yuki arcs, including the Student Council chapters! ;;;;;
I don't know why. I love Yuki as a character (he's in my top 5 Furuba characters) but something about these chapters makes me go "awhhh just get it over with already so we can get to the good stuff!"

Please tell me someone else feels like this too. I can't be the only one XD
Aug 17, 2020 2:20 PM

Apr 2015
The stundent council are a weird bunch, I keep saying it but my god! Machi seems interesing now though, as it was revealed that she and Manabe are step-siblings. Machi seems to have her own issues and I feel that a connection is happening between her and Yuki. Manabe and his stupidity keeps surprising me XD Atleast he's honest and aware about it!

Everyones reaction at the role selection for Cinderella was priceless! Can't wait to see Tohru play an evil character!
Aug 17, 2020 3:12 PM

Jul 2017
EDIT: To everyone that saw the spoiler, let's just say that it was a mistake on my part, and I'd think that the narration really fits for the relationship between Yuki and Tohru. There is NO motive behind my analysis, even if I've read the manga before and wanted to keep it spoiler-free as possible. It's the end-card narration that kinds throws me off despite really knowing what Yuki needs in relation to our girl. For whatever that comes, it's up to your imagination.

SoraSenpai said:
KANLen09 said:

I think these two go hand in hand perfectly. That both Yuki and Rin were just looking for the support of a Female or motherly figure in their lives. Yuki knows at this point that Kyo is in love with Tohru and I don't think he wants to ruin that at all.
Very true though, even if he doesn't say it out loud, I think we can infer it as so.

Tellatez said:
Why did they have to do a cliffhanger it's supposed to reveal what he yearned from her, also they already gave a lot of hints about what kind of feelings Yuki has towards Tohru.
I guess it's next week then another week to wait.
I know a lot of manga readers may also feel disappointed with that cliffhanger.
Actually, manga reader here, and YES I believe it was not just an accidental move to leave something BIG out here. Really wonder if this moment is just gonna slip by next week, we'll only know it then.
dipItFooAug 17, 2020 10:14 PM
Aug 17, 2020 3:13 PM

Sep 2017
Loving the cast selection for Cinderella. I really hope we actually get to see it in action. Evil Tohru will be too cute. Also some good stuff learning about the student council characters. Looks like Yuki is starting to open up a lot more.
Aug 17, 2020 3:15 PM

Sep 2008
The remainder of Chapter 81 and Chapter 83 were adapted in this latest episode to cover more on developments with Yuki, Machi, and Kakeru. The meeting for voting on a school play for the school's upcoming culture festival from Chapter 83 was used as a means for the episode to transition back into covering the remainder of Chapter 81's events in the anime's first half. Beyond this, a fair number of scenes from the chapters were shortened or removed to fit into the length for this episode. Here were differences I spotted for this week's episode:

-The opening showing Yuki comparing himself to Isuzu while observing her and Tohru’s embrace was taken from a part of the opening to Chapter 81 removed from the prior episode.
-Some differences to note with the school play voting:

• The play results and the main roles were announced together in the manga instead of taking place in separate meetings. The meeting for the main roles was what Yuki was late for in the anime, while he arrived just as the results of the play voting were being announced.
  • The main roles were written out on a chalkboard in the manga instead of being announced individually by role.
  • Due to the play and main role votings being held in separate meetings, Kakeru calling out for Yuki was added for the anime following the play voting.

-The conversation Yuki and Kakeru have in the hallway about the former not having a cell phone originally took place following Yuki’s conversation with Haru, which took place in the previous episode. Some of the dialogue in the scene is changed due to the changed circumstances that the two come together in the anime for this scene.
-The extra dialogue from Naohito fuming over the vandalism committed by Machi to the student council meeting room for the anime was taken from a removed scene in Chapter 81 where two female students were asking about the condition of the room and Kimi annoyed them by questioning the condition of it.
-Dialogue was added into the meeting attended by Yuki for the anime as he thought about Kakeru and Machi.
-Some of the dialogue from when Kimi comes into the student council room for Machi were removed from the anime.
-When Yuki recalled he was late for the play voting, there’s a removed part of the student council scene where he recalled that he promised the class representative he would be attending it. Kakeru told Yuki he was okay to leave. When Naohito fumed at Kakeru being responsible, he gets whopped on the head by Kakeru for the insults.
-Kakeru and Naohito’s arguing over breaking Yuki out of the locked closet was removed from the anime.
-Some students playing soccer outside were added to the scene where Yuki and Kakeru are conversing after the former was freed from the empty closet.
-The anime removed specific mention of what Yuki was looking for in his relationship with Tohru.
Aug 17, 2020 3:21 PM

Mar 2018
I’m a little disappointed in this episode everything I imagined reading the manga was way better, especially the way Yuki said later firmly was weird in the anime. I hope the next episode will not disappoint me any further.
Aug 17, 2020 3:24 PM

Jun 2014
And here we have chapters 81 (what's left of it) & 83, bits and pieces about Yuki, Machi & Kakeru. Of course important characters like Kakeru and Machi would have their problems too and a troubled backstory behind them. It's not just the Soumas, like we saw with Hanajima and Uotani. And it's pretty clear by now that Tooru has some big problems herself.

So, about this episode. Finally here comes the Cinderella Arc (that's what I call it anyway :P). I was waiting for this, really love that arc. <3

They shuffled around a bit and changed some minor things, nothing important. Like Yuki coming in and out of Souma estate through that hidden hole that Momiji's sister Momo showed Tooru when she was going to meet Kureno.

A bit more lighthearted episode after the heavy stuff with Rin. But there's more to Yuki's backstory, as we can see from his words at the end of the episode, he needs to clarify that for us, doesn't he? ;) So look forward to the next episode guys. It will be a really good one. :3
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Aug 17, 2020 4:10 PM

Feb 2020
every time kakeru and yuki interact it makes me so happy.

Aug 17, 2020 4:35 PM
Apr 2019
MikuruSi said:
I personally dislike the "every relationship can be mended, no matter how fucked up" perspective.

I don't think that actually was the perspective. Yuki said it at first, and said that you had to try to "button the shirt up right" (mend the relationship) but then Kakeru said that you don't have to button the shirt up right, but maybe you can know "it's getting better" (and I think he means, your own mental health, not necessarily the relationship) when you can accept that things won't change but laugh about it. It's true most of the time if we have awful parents, we can't keep thinking we can change or heal the relationship (button the shirt up right) or get stuck on wishing we'd been dealt a different hand. It is what it is. If you can laugh instead of cry at your parents BS one day though, maybe things are getting better for you.

I don't think Yuki laughing at his mother's comment was meant to be taken as him seeing her as getting better or that she was being affectionate and becoming a good mother. I don't remember what the subs said this episode, but in the manga he snorts and laughs that she said something so "motherly", and it definitely came across that he was laughing because his mother, who had never been motherly his whole life, said something motherly and so that was ironic. Not that it meant she was becoming a better person and suddenly changing, but that it was ironic and he had to laugh. Then he thought about Kakeru's words, that if he can laugh at his abusive mother being ironically motherly, maybe his wounds from his childhood aren't so fresh anymore.
Aug 17, 2020 5:22 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Machi battering down the door was an amazing moment. It's nice to see a prince character rescued by a girl, especially since he has been rescued by Tohru already in the past. In many ways, Yuki's arc reminds me of the poem Richard Cory, though with the difference of people coming into his life to help him.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Aug 17, 2020 5:42 PM

Dec 2016
Yuki and Kakeru are dorks, but that's the reason why I like seeing their funny interactions XD

I don't think Tohru is fit to be a villainess, but I want to see how she goes with her role >w>

Here it goes again... I love when a show gives us a plot twist that can leave us puzzled, not once but twice -_-; But it's alright, I can wait till the end of season so I can finally learn what Yuki's words meant when he said 'What I yearned for from her (Tohru) was-'. I am very curious to know! >_>

Great episode as always! ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 17, 2020 9:39 PM

Nov 2015
I think Yuki has learned a thing or two about how to care for someone else during his time with Tohru. Maybe he's found what he was looking for after all.

It will be rather interesting to see Tohru try to play an evil role. I don't think she has a single evil bone in her.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Aug 17, 2020 9:44 PM
Aug 2016
Yun yun's interaction with the student council members is always fun. I like how Yuki and Kakeru's friendship and understanding is developing day by day. Just waiting for some Machi and Yuki moments now.
That wicked Cinderella casting is going to be hella dope I can feel it.
And literally dying to know what Yuki wants from Tohru! The way that line keeps on hanging everywhere.
Aug 17, 2020 10:18 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread cleaned

Note: Please make sure to tag spoilers in the future and err on the side of caution when creating spoiler filled posts.
Aug 17, 2020 10:18 PM

Jul 2016
Saki and Kyou as Cinderella and the Prince? And Tohru as the evil stepsister? Oh boy, there's no way this won't be interesting. I'm SO looking forward to this play xD

Honestly, at first I was doubting I would like this episode considering that the student council was the focus again but in the end, I'm glad I was wrong. Yuki's growth has been truly fantastic and the way how he has been learning so many new things from different people (Ayame; Haru; Rin; Machi; Kakeru; Tohru of course; etc.) is truly rewarding to see.

Kakeru was also less intense this time, which I highly appreciate and knowing more about his and Machi's family background sure helped me have more context regarding their odd behaviours.
Now all I want is some background for Nao too because dear Lord, this kid really needs to start learning how to read the fucking mood.

So it seems Yuki made a significant connection with Machi, uh? And based on Machi's last statement about getting anxious when he was trapped, I can say she pretty much understands how similar they both are. Hopefully, this season will feature more interactions between these two because seeing Yuki trying to comfort her by using the advices/lessons he has learnt would be truly heartwarming as well as very important for his character development.

And finally, as for the episode's conclusion, leaving Yuki's last sentence in a cliffhanger was kinda odd, honestly. I mean, it has been more than obvious what he yearns from Tohru but well. Guess they want to drag the mystery for a bit longer.

P.S.: Curious... 20 eps. in and we still don't know how many this second season will have. 24?; 25 eps. as in the previous season?; 26, maybe?
Aug 17, 2020 11:52 PM
Dec 2019
When Yuki gets serious its a bit scary, I dont want to get on the bad side of him.

It is nice to have an episode to get back story on the side characters.

Oh i cant wait to see the school play, with Kyo being the Prince.
Aug 18, 2020 12:03 AM

Oct 2017
Kyo and Hanajima as prince and cinderelalla, XD this will be legendary.
Aug 18, 2020 1:27 AM

Jun 2013
Damn Yuki's deep voice scared but impressed me. I want to hear him get angry more.

I never liked Yuki in the original 2001 adaptation but now he's one of my favorite characters. Goes to show that you can't judge a character by a bad adaptation lol.

I already know what happens since I read spoilers but that doesn't ruin my enjoyment since this reboot was so well done. It's one od those series that I always look forward to.

臭い-
Aug 18, 2020 1:43 AM

Feb 2014
The more I see Machi, the more she reminds me of her similarity to Yuki.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 18, 2020 2:18 AM

Jun 2014
SouthRzVa said:

P.S.: Curious... 20 eps. in and we still don't know how many this second season will have. 24?; 25 eps. as in the previous season?; 26, maybe?

I think it might be 25, because it seems like a good way to stop this season with chapter 93. That's assuming they will adapt 2 chapters per 1 episode and in the order the chapters are in the manga. If they start to shuffle chapters a lot again like in season 1, then I don't know.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Aug 18, 2020 3:11 AM

Mar 2019
Guys, look forward to the Cinderella play. Oh boy! I have been waiting for this for so long. Oh it's gonna be SO good >_<
Aug 18, 2020 4:19 AM
Apr 2019
MikuruSi said:

Ah I think I get what you mean. I haven't read the manga and I tend to be quite cynic so I didn't see it like that.

I don't wanna get too deep about family dynamics and psychology bc this is just an anime discussion, but if what you described is really what the creators intended to express then we, the audience, could wonder whether that's actually one of the good ways to cope with abuse.

haha, my friend, getting too deep into family dynamics and psychology with Furuba is what I do.

(meaning, quite literally: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328580346_The_Bond_and_the_Curse_The_Duality_of_Identity_and_Illness_in_Natsuki_Takaya's_Fruits_Basket).

I think it's an endlessly fascinating topic, but that can be a convo for others days or places lol.
Aug 18, 2020 4:53 AM

Jul 2014
I get what Yuki was trying to say with his comments about family, and why he'd personally say it given his changing relationship with his mother, but his comment that people just need to "live with it" really rubbed me the wrong way. Would he be able to say that to Momiji, to Rin, to Kyo, all of whom have awful parents who either hate them or wish they were never born? Worse, it almost seems like trying to excuse how awful these parents are: "oh, they've got problems too, so it's understandable/okay that they at best treat their children like dirt". Sorry, FruBa, but that is not going to fly and has considerably increased my disdain for Yuki.

And while they seem to be starting to do something with Machi now, the rest of the student council continue to be annoying additions to the show, and I find myself disliking almost every scene with them as the focus.
Aug 18, 2020 7:38 AM

Aug 2018
Kyo playing the Prince with Hanajima as Cinderella... and the best part : Tohru as the Evil stepsister, that is definitely going to be amazing
Aug 18, 2020 7:41 AM

Dec 2015
Atavistic said:
I get what Yuki was trying to say with his comments about family, and why he'd personally say it given his changing relationship with his mother, but his comment that people just need to "live with it" really rubbed me the wrong way. Would he be able to say that to Momiji, to Rin, to Kyo, all of whom have awful parents who either hate them or wish they were never born? Worse, it almost seems like trying to excuse how awful these parents are: "oh, they've got problems too, so it's understandable/okay that they at best treat their children like dirt". Sorry, FruBa, but that is not going to fly and has considerably increased my disdain for Yuki.

And while they seem to be starting to do something with Machi now, the rest of the student council continue to be annoying additions to the show, and I find myself disliking almost every scene with them as the focus.

I honestly don't think that was what they tried to convey with this. Kakeru gave his insight too and in the end Yuki seemed to go along with it. In his interaction with his mom this ep it was quite clear he did.

About the student council: I do think there's some depth to them already. Sure Nao is still the grumpy kid and Kimi is, well, Kimi but Kakeru got more depth before the beach arc already. Besides, how can you think they're annoying when they're actually hilarious? xD
Aug 18, 2020 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Kyou's reaction to the Cinderella roles actually made me laugh out loud. Tohru's reaction to him being the Prince made it all the more funnier.

We are starting to get more insight on Yuki, Kakeru, and Machi's past. I like how Yuki understood what Machi was going through without having to hear anything from her. The same with Machi when Yuki was stuck in the closet. They have this unspoken connection. Yuki actually raised his voice to defend her.

Machi and Kakeru's past rivalry reminds me of the Cat and Rat rivalry. Both of their rivalries were created by their families. Yuki has compared Kakeru to Kyou in the past, so is it safe to say that Machi is Yuki's counterpart?
Aug 18, 2020 9:50 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is very interesting, and very symbolic, when Machi break the door, there has to be an interpretation of her action that is the kindness in return to what Yuki did to her. Normally I'm kinda too lazy to interpret the symbolic scene in anime, but I'll make an exception and watch this anime with the brain, which is kinda ironically considered that Fruits Basket is the kinda of anime that has to watch with heart.
Aug 18, 2020 10:07 AM
Aug 2019
What i think yuki yearns for is for tohru to care for him..?
Aug 18, 2020 11:58 AM

Feb 2014
The Cinderella casting scene was great. Hanajima as Cinderella herself, Kyo getting the role of the Prince and Tohru playing the evil step-sister. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, but at the same time, a recipe that'll have me laughing. I can't to see the play already! XD

Aside from that, the episode was mostly focused on Yuki and the student council once again and this time, we got a good insight into Kakeru and Machi, with how they're step-siblings and how their parents have hurt them with their obsession of the next family successor and such. While Kakeru isn't hampered by this stress anymore, Machi isn't out of the park just yet, and seeing her trashing the council room for the second time shows that this poor girl still suffers. =(

Despite that, it was a really good moment when Machi burst the locker door open to free the locked Yuki, which was well-timed as he let his mind wander back to the Summer house, when Akito had a "chat" with him. It shows that both Yuki and Machi have a good connection with each other.

Nice episode overall and I do wonder what'll happen first? Hell freezing over or Nao going an entire episode without being angry at anything? XD
Aug 18, 2020 12:17 PM
Feb 2020
need more tohru kyo moments

Aug 18, 2020 1:14 PM
Nov 2014
As always the ED jut hits different
Aug 18, 2020 1:25 PM

Jun 2019
Atavistic said:

Well, in a previous episode a few episodes back Yuki actually did stand up to his mother in the aftermath of the parent-teacher conference at the school. So unless he's completely changed his mentality from then in the short intervening time since, I wouldn't say that the sentiment is to accept abuse or being abused or don't defend yourself, but it's a very true statement that children absolutely cannot choose their parents and parents absolutely cannot choose their children. Parents have more control due to the position of raising and attempting to mold them (and parents can choose to give birth/adopt children in the first place, whereas offspring can't choose to be or not be born), but it very often doesn't work as they planned or envisioned and the kids become their own individuals and even live contrary to the parent's values, even from an early age.

So I think the idea is that whatever parents may dislike about their children or children about their parents, they cannot just exchange them like one would a car or electronic device or article of clothing, or even move and sell a house. They are their mother or father, son or daughter regardless, forever and nothing can change that. So maybe see if you could reach a form of accommodation or understanding with them and work to improve your relationship as much as possible, as Yuki is with his own mother slightly, slowly, and subtly. Because nothing changes the fact that they're your parent or child.

And in cases where the parents are filled with outright hatred and abuse for what their children are or are not like Kyo's and Rin's, perhaps the message is more intended for the parents themselves than the children.
Aug 18, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
This is amusing. The roles for the Cindrella Play is both quirky and odd. Did Saki get the leading role? Kyo as her prince charming? And Tohru as the evil step-sister? Oh, I am interested to see how this will all play out. I thought, at first, that Tohru and Kyo will, understandably, receive the leading romantic roles and, possibly, a love confession would ensue between the two. But I guess that's still too early? Maybe?
Aug 19, 2020 5:22 AM

Jun 2017
I got this feeling Yuki will end up with Machi when Tohru gets to choose Kyo. That's just my intuition okay? I'm not the spoiler type and I definitely haven't read the manga at all!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 20, 2020 10:47 PM

Feb 2019
A Yuki-centric episode, but Fruits Basket is as great as always.

Finally some background story on Machi. It seems Kakeru and her are step-siblings... that's not the right word, I think. Half-siblings?

Glad to see the relationship between Yuki and his mom is thawing ever so slowly. That was really unexpected and sweet.

They sure know how to end on a cliffhanger. What does he yearn for from Tohru? Damn, now gotta wait until next episode's out!
Aug 21, 2020 3:33 PM

May 2016
10/10 love how Yuki starts to find his own personality.
my love grows more and more for the show.
Aug 23, 2020 12:47 PM

Apr 2018
Wait the cast for Cinderella is hilarious. Itll be worth watching xD Saki as the Princess, Kyo as the Prince and Tohru as the evil stepsister.
Aug 23, 2020 7:32 PM
Jan 2016
What's the name of that OST that plays like every episode that starts with violins and transitions to a low pitched flute? Plays during monologues most times or during emotional moments.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

240 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 28, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2020

127 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2020

124 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2020

106 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

142 by LuxuriousHeart »»
May 27, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.