Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Nov 17, 2012 9:04 AM

Sep 2012
holy shit this episode gave me goosebumps, sad and dramatic 5/5 for sure
Jan 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
This was like really, really good. Once again, I love imagery in this series. The librarian walking throughout the flashback and the rabbit turning into a monster. Awesome.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2013 12:55 AM
Dec 2012
What the? Oreki's sister? XD
I'm really addicted to this show now.
Ice Cream -----> I scream.
MOAR CASES PLEASE.
MOAR XD
Mar 7, 2013 5:10 PM
Aug 2007
Man, this anime has been quite cool so far. Loving the mystery solving...

"I Scream" is a depressing message...
Mar 27, 2013 7:53 AM
Aug 2012
gd episode i wonder wat they can do from now this seemed like an end of session episode in fact it was so tidy they cld have finished the anime here and it wld still have been gd im glad its not tho on to the next episode
Apr 4, 2013 2:20 AM

Jan 2013
God was that boring.
Not a fan of the mystery solving anime to begin with
Even if it was incredibly well done, doesn't change the fact that it's completely uninteresting.
The last few minutes were pretty good though.
3.4/5
Apr 7, 2013 10:18 PM

Jan 2011
this has been boring so far
Apr 20, 2013 10:04 AM
Nov 2012
There seems to be almost no story yet I still watch this anime, I find this awfully strange... Any idea why I actually like the anime?
Apr 25, 2013 12:49 AM

Sep 2011
This episode gave me the shivers.Trying to figure out how the hell this can be boring.
Apr 26, 2013 6:50 PM
Dec 2012
This marks the episode that hooked me into the show.
May 5, 2013 7:56 AM

Mar 2013
Too many people expect something flashy every episode of anime that they watch. No wonder they can't appreciate this series. It's a shame, because the subtlety in the storytelling can really stir up emotions for someone who "gets" this kind of show. To me, this was a brilliant and beautiful episode. I'm crossing my fingers that the rest of the series will deliver.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

May 6, 2013 4:38 AM

Mar 2012
ugh.... nevermind... the mystery is WAAAAAAY less deep than I thought it was.
StopDropAndBowlMay 6, 2013 5:21 AM
Let's go bowling.
May 16, 2013 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
wow amazing episode really enjoyed it. Ice Scream......
Jun 12, 2013 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

This episode has managed to seize two birds with one stone, on the one hand mostarci the change of the protagonist's life and on the other put an end to the mystery which has been used as an excuse to involgiare the boy to enter. I liked the narrative is still very close to the usual pattern that characterizes all the episodes so far seen. I hope the next will be at the same level. Optimal design!
Jun 26, 2013 8:18 PM

Jan 2013
Here we again see that Satoshi is very perceptive and realizes that Houtarou is acting out of his usual ways. As he correctly points out, it has to do with Chitanda. I'm again glad he's not being treated as a sidekick of sorts.

So the mystery's been solved. I wonder what they'll focus on now. I hope Houtarou really does go through a progression or at least continues to test whether a rose colored life would be best for him. The pace for this has been to my liking though.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 24, 2013 12:07 PM

Jan 2012
The pun was clever,from the moment Oreki wrote it on the piece of paper, i was eagerly awaiting what it was.
Really great so far,Kyoani really did strike gold with this.
Aug 6, 2013 4:54 AM

Nov 2012
Well, it's all coming together now!
Aug 16, 2013 12:07 AM
Mar 2013
I am in love with this anime...

The animation, story, and characters are so inventive and interesting. Oreki solving the mystery was a great twist on this anime. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Nov 13, 2013 3:48 AM

Oct 2013
"and what does rose coloured mean anyway?"
I couldn't agree more, Oreki.

Even so I still like the use of the 'colour' of ones' life as a metaphor for their efforts put into things, and how people perceive them.

dat psychedelic transition scene for the librarian :000

now that the uncle arc is over I'm excited to see what they are gonna try to solve
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 29, 2013 5:40 AM

Jun 2013
Oreki is really a genius guy.

His theory was almost perfect, except for the following:
1. Jun fought not because of his own will. The truth is he was forced.
2. Because of the riot, there was an accident(the fire thing, I think). And that accident led to his expulsion(he was the representative so the administration thought he must be expelled).
3. He was sacrificed, not sacrificed himself.

But still, Oreki figured out the meaning of "Hyouka". After he explained it, Chitanda finally remembered what his uncle said to her when she was a child.
Wohoo.

Ice cream = I scream
I love this episode. <3
Jan 5, 2014 11:21 AM

Dec 2012
That was really good!
excited for the rest of the series~
Jan 9, 2014 11:21 PM

Dec 2013
Brilliant episode.

When I found of Hyouka was ice scream plus the leg trembling scene.. I immediately knew he was sacrificed. It was sad. I love how they depict that feeling by using the wolf and rabbits.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jan 14, 2014 6:54 PM

Jul 2013
Well, that wraps up Chitanda's Uncle theory. Yet again, despite Oreki's failed theory, still manage to pull it off thanks to the Librarian.

Now the the definition of "Hyouka" reveals... Silly but has powerful meaning of being a strong person and not give up.

Can't wait to see more mysteries in this.

Feb 22, 2014 2:44 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, this episode is surprisingly great! Now, I finally know he mystery behind the event 45 years ago. But, is this mystery over or not? Hmmm...well, we just wait and see.
Feb 23, 2014 10:09 PM

Dec 2008
kawaiinekolover said:
Wow, this episode is surprisingly great! Now, I finally know he mystery behind the event 45 years ago. But, is this mystery over or not? Hmmm...well, we just wait and see.
I agree!
I'm also wondering if the mystery is truly over or not.
I wonder if the anime will eventually try to uncover the truth behind Sekitani Jun's disappearance...
Mar 23, 2014 9:38 PM

Aug 2013
Woah, so clever. Dang, I can't predict a shit in that anime xD

Dat word play... Didn't saw it coming, even when he said that hyouka meant ice scream, I didn't figured it out :P

It's really interresting to see that Houtarou have started to put his life-style into question. Will he start being more active and devellop various feeling? :O

Awwwn, we can see him blushing a few time, so he isn't just a machine after all :)
Just kiddin'
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 11, 2014 2:11 PM

Jul 2009
Woah ... so turns out there's more eh? I'm curious about Houtarou's sister ... stop traveling and come join the anime! :P
Turns out the librarian was in the Classics Club and wrote that preface ... so we learn the true story now. Poor guy kinda got forced into being the figurehead eh ... nobody else wanted to get in trouble :S The "pun" was interesting (I got the "ice cream" = "I scream" thing right away) :P
On another note, Houtarou's starting to question his "energy conservation" lifestyle ... he wants to have a "rose-coloured" high school life like everyone else? Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how he changes ... I mean even accepting the write-up for their anthology was a big step :P
So this mystery is ocver it seems ... I wonder what the next one will be! :O
Jun 21, 2014 1:44 AM

Aug 2013
damn. i didnt know ice cream can be so depressing...
Aug 7, 2014 1:32 AM

Jun 2011
Liking this anime so much! This arc was very good, loved how the mystery was solved and the results of it. Ice Cream ftw
Aug 21, 2014 6:19 PM

Aug 2009
no OP and ED in honor of our energy-conserving MC

well, that wrapped up fast indeed

lucky they can still find someone from that era

curious about what's in store next too
Nov 22, 2014 12:28 PM

Aug 2013
The rabbit and dog animation was incredible! The drawings for this show are fantastic! :)
Happy that Chitanda finally remembered what her uncle told her, and that the librarian helped the Classics somewhat! meanwhile Oreki keeps on calling his finding "luck" haha e.e
Nov 25, 2014 6:04 PM

Jul 2014
Seems like this Hyouka thing will be tying into the story of the sister too. I wonder what her traveling is about? She also was in India on the first part of her trip where the uncle went missing. Interesting stuff I'm really enjoying this so far
Dec 28, 2014 3:34 PM

Nov 2013
Favourite episode so far, some of the visuals in this series have been quite disturbing so far lol, very unexpected.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 18, 2015 1:32 AM

Jul 2008
Kids are cruel no matter what era they are in.
May 24, 2015 10:22 PM

Aug 2014
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.
Jun 7, 2015 8:37 AM
Jun 2015
The pun is really...deep for someone that think living is painful
Aug 23, 2015 1:47 AM

Dec 2012
I'm never going to be able to look at "ice cream" the same way again. An eerie and profound revelation to Jun's sacrifice. Although I wonder if that really solves the mystery, I wonder if his missing will play a bigger role later.
Oct 20, 2015 11:21 PM
Sep 2015

It was a good and serious episode but when MC revealed the pun i couldn't help my self but laugh and be reminded the cow and chicken episode.
Oct 24, 2015 2:42 AM
May 2015
Definitely the best episode till, fabulous one. I think the incident was a very tiny version of naxal movement of Bengal, India (in 1971).
Nov 7, 2015 10:57 PM

Feb 2010
Such a satifying conclusion to the ark! I'm ready to compliment this show not only on good writing, but also on good psychology writing. I noticed it from the start, just wasn't sure it was consistent.
"I scream" that's a silly pun, but in the context it looks sinister. It's also a pun that not a native English speaker could enjoy making in school, and English don't come easy to Japanese, mind.
Yay for an actual participant and witness of this mystery! Now we have proof and it's time for revelations. Last pieces fall together and we get the whole meaning of this - the one that maked Chitanda cry in shock and forgetting what it was - it sure is a hard truth for a child to take.
This show takes on a questions beyond a simple curiosity from which it started, more and more. Cool!

raxius1230 said:

I must say his sister seems like a big troll i really want to see her XD

I wish I had a sister like that :D

baff said:
Lets remember that this was a successful light novel, published by Kodokawa and picked upby the director of the animation of the Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi.

This on itself, along side the animation, should tell as right away that there is a lot of material to work with in this story. People who complain about it being boring, I am sorry if I offend anyone, tend to be those who have never thought themselves the meaning of build up, and have become all to accustomed to either instant gratification thorough weirdness, violence or fan service. By being rather a conventional story in many ways, Hyouka is unconventional for the medium. THE CHARACTERS DONT FIT THE USUAL STEREOTYPES. They really dont. Comparisons to K-On arise from the simple fact that to many, the only instance of a story taking place in an ordinary setting following a slow pace are slice of lifes, the difference between them and Hyouka being, that Hyouka isnt drifting aimlessly, on the contrary, its a story with an overreaching arch we so often find in novels and dont get to see in TV.

Right, and I won't be shy of speaking it in plain English, that people who did not get that this series was not for them in 3 ep's were not using their head properly and those who complained further just CAN'T THINK, only REACT to stimuli. We are talking about quality of intelligence that can't even read what's plainy presented in front of them. I think series like Hyouka could be used as part of an entry exam for college or even a high-school, because if a person don't get it (I don't say "like", just understand), their time in school would be wasted, find a better use for it.

Yumekichi11 said:

now that is Bosnia. Safer but still not stable too much depending where you are. Both of these used to be USSR.

Wrong. Balkans were never in USSR. Sometimes when some tzar' or another was stupid enough, russian army could get involved in a war for a sake of "brother" orthodox nation and in 90's russian peacekeepers had a major presence there, but that's it. As of being in USSR, there is a difference with being in a pact and actualy being in the Union like 15 republics of USSR.
burbelsNov 7, 2015 11:03 PM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Dec 9, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2014
45 years ago. I screamed but they turned away. Ep 5.

Plot: The truth is revealed. Houtarou was half correct with his theory. After confirming with the Librarian from ep 2 and his sister, a pivotal piece of info was revealed. Seikitani was not a "hero". He was a sacrifice. The students rioting against a perceived slight went to far and he was forced to take the fall for it all. But in the end, he got on last thing. The title for the Anthology

Hyouka=Ice Cream= I Scream.

Character: This really got to Oreki and maybe Satoshi as well. The beginning had Oreiki breaking the scenario, so to speak, for wanting to break his gray life. But does he want a rose colored one? Seeing everyone paling around and wasting energy doesn't sound like him but you can't help but feel like...you want to.

And when he reveals the truth behind Hyouka...there's alot of tension under the surface of gray.

Chitanda I feel has grown over the course of the eps or at least had more added to her. While waning to do things on her own with no way to get the results she wanted, she managed to avert her Uncle's same fate by going to Oreki. SHe managed to speak up and ask for something/make her case known before things spiraled on and it was too late to even scream.

I do wonder what this info odes for the Database and Mayaka?

Animation/sound: The flashbacks man. The Librarians was good for plot relevance and info but Chitanda's flashback and the subsequent "I Scream" rabbits. Just perfectly said the rest.

5/5. A great conclusion to the opening mystery.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Dec 23, 2015 7:25 PM

Nov 2012
Hyouka=Ice cream=I scream.

Lame pun indeed xD

Otherwise great episode.
Jan 12, 2016 5:14 PM

Jun 2009
curious to see where houtarou's sister comes into this.
Jan 14, 2016 1:17 AM
Oct 2014
Best thing I liked about this episode is the way Jun left the message "ice cream" = "i scream" ... first it seemed to be a normal message but it had a very deep reason to be written like that ...... can't wait to see next episode
Jan 27, 2016 2:48 AM

Feb 2010
Lame pun indeed, cant say its not expressive though. Enjoyable episode ^^

May 11, 2016 4:00 AM

Jan 2016
Ice cream.. holy mother of lucifer.. enjoyed every second. story so far have just been fantastic, as well with the animation that is incredible and beautiful. just wow..
Also i do feel a same "atmosphere/ feeling "as when i watched clannad but as the same time i don't, not thats a bad thing. Think this anime have just been fantastic, elegant and just want to see more!!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 11, 2016 7:48 PM

Mar 2014
Call it a lame pun but that pun managed until the day it is discovered .
GREAT EPISODE . Deduction .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2016 7:09 AM

Feb 2016
I dunno why but this series is actually really great. the story from 5 eps first was simple but the mystery so freaking awesome. totally loved it!
May 23, 2016 7:16 AM

May 2010
This was still pretty boring, but I loved the pun with '"I scream", totally not what I've expected.

Also surprised by how quickly it got resolved, I thought it would be a mystery till the last episodes, or something.
Jun 4, 2016 10:21 AM

Apr 2016
This episode was the best one so far!

I really liked the fact that the kanjis for 'sacrificing oneself' could be read also 'to be sacrificed'! (Maybe I only get excited about these things bc I'm learning Japanese lol).

Also, the hidden meaning for hyouka is great. I scream. I just love it.
However, I seem to still have trouble figuring Chitanda out. I kind of feel like the meaning of 'I scream' and the life/death thing is too complex for a little girl to be that upset about? idk, I feel like children get other feelings towards life and death.

Hotarou seems to be going back and forth between wanting to change and wanting to keep being the same 'power-saving' human. Let's see how this develops!

Now that the mystery is solved, I wonder what will be the moving force during the next episodes.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

268 by KuroNeko318 »»
Today, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 29, 2012

377 by sahzzy_sama »»
May 23, 1:41 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.