Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Witch and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 11, 5:52 PM

Apr 2022
was a decent start and while its not at all bad thankfully, as expected its nowhere as good as the manga. i mean its unfair when the art in the manga is that elaborate and the gothic vibe doesn't really translate here. i see they tried to copy how the manga panels look for the character introductions with still shots, doesn't really hit tbh. but on it's own, it's alright and it's still gonna be one of the better shows this season for sure.
Jan 11, 6:22 PM
Dec 2018
action scenes bear no weight; whole episode felt disappointing for falling into "all edge, no point". will give show 2 more eps to change my mind, but since the studio is new and seems to churn out mid garbage, my hopes be nil.
Jan 11, 6:37 PM
Mar 2023
Mmm. First ep was okay. It was engaging enough and I’ll be back for episode two. The animation was surprisingly bad tho. Not *terrible*, but extremely stiff. It’s crazy cause I had a feeling it was going to be bad just based off of the icon Crunchyroll used for the episode smh. We’ll see if I keep it. I hope it’s good
Jan 11, 6:42 PM

Sep 2013
Ok first episode. animation wasn't that impressive to say the least. Lets see how it goes from here on out
sic mundus
Jan 11, 7:02 PM

Apr 2008
It's not not cliche, but we don't get a lot of dark fantasy recently. Willing to give it a shot. Presumably our beasty has a bit more to her than punch.
Jan 11, 8:04 PM
Jun 2022
Unfortunately I can guarantee this adaptation is getting the Tokyo Ghoul treatment. It failed at conveying any sort of emotion and excitement poured into the opening chapter of the manga
Jan 11, 8:08 PM

Mar 2007
A promising start, but I don't like how angry / shouty the main girl is, it's honestly more than a little off putting. Also I was expecting some Undead Girl Murder Farce type of banter, and it wasn't present here. Also kind of surprised what came out of the coffin tbh!
Jan 11, 8:22 PM

May 2019
Decent start to this series, didn't realize that the blonde girl is actually a guy but that curse may help explain the pissed off mood. I take it that this duo will be going to different towns/areas to look for the witch that cursed Guideau.
Jan 11, 8:25 PM

Oct 2019
Great first episode, I hope the rest are exciting too.
Jan 11, 8:30 PM
May 2019
Well... This was a very impressive first episode for me. The designs are pretty good, Yokohama animation kind of look a lil stiff sometimes (but not too bad this time). I really liked the main duo and the world building looks promising. I'll be waiting the next episode anxiously ^-^
Jan 11, 9:20 PM

Mar 2013
Finally, a dark fantasy seinen series!
A bit disappointed as they finished a Witch in the first episode. I'm more interested in the mystery of the sealed hellfire but we didn't get it.

This series reminds me of D.Gray-Man. 😖
CrazyButNot4UJan 11, 9:23 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 11, 10:27 PM

Feb 2014
Started off well, but turned bad too quickly. 120 years old witch exacting revenge on the people that killed her grandma witch 400 years ago, newsflash none of the people alive today killed her grandma, so how exactly is that "revenge"? Not only that, the witch was being nice to people that were nice to her and she wants to make those people suffer? BTW what's the deal with female Asta? Does she have to keep screaming like that? When I watched the OP I thought I was in on something amazing, but the reality is far from that.
Jan 11, 10:43 PM
Apr 2019
A little blunt but high hopes for this, certainly more engaging than the rest of winter 2024 off of first impressions.
Jan 11, 11:05 PM
Mar 2022
i went in expecting hot girl action
instead i got a buff guy
0/10 another bait and switch
(i just want a beast girl for once in my life)
Jan 11, 11:12 PM
Jul 2020
Joei-12 said:
I knew this would be a bad adaptation but even knowing that this has been extremely disappointing, The sound section is completely out of place and is incapable of transmitting any type of emotion, and the artistic section, God they haven't even tried it. It looks awful and lacks any impact, for example when Guideau returns to his original body in the manga you can see the importance of the scene, but they haven't done any of that in the anime. The music clashes with the scene. The colors chosen are terrible. It doesn't even have a good angle.

But the truth is I don't know why I was disappointed or bothered, this was so obvious what would happen, I mean a studio that only makes shitty isekais and a director who has never worked with dark fantasy.......... How stupid of me to even thinking that this would have a minimum of quality

Nah it was conveyed quite well

I swear to god you people expected Ufotable level shit for literally everything

If anything, the quality was a lot above average
Jan 12, 12:37 AM

Jan 2021
I don't know how great the manga is but for an anime-only like me it's already good and to be honest, it's only the first episode but I'm really fascinated with Ashaf... there's something charming about him. Is it the way he talks? His demeanor? His voice? His aura? Or maybe all of it. Guideau is cool, whether in a girl's body or a beast's body.

Btw, if Guideau's goal is to find a witch to release her curse, does Ashaf also have his own goal in this journey? Or is he just working to find witches while accompanying Guideau to find the witch who cursed her?

Jan 12, 1:15 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to Stark700
Not going to lie, I think this was a really interesting start just from the story background and lore. This show has a serious vibe without cartoony humor. OP theme has a dark orchestra tone as well.

Guideau's character introduction gives off the no-nonsense vibe. Ashaf seems to be monitoring her as the two goes around the streets. Ashaf is also somewhat of a smooth talker and shows more personality than Guideau. First episode had some crazy bizarre moments like the giant shark monster coming out of nowhere. Show has alot potential imo. I hope we can find out much more about our two main leads.
@Stark700 U stole all of my thoghts sheesh
Jan 12, 1:17 AM

Dec 2020
Both unique and non-clich plot and power system
This one has the highest potential

Already can't w8 for the next ep
Jan 12, 2:13 AM

Mar 2010
Seems interesting so far. Cannot say I like both of the characters but they also seem interesting. Tho the beast seem like she has a one track mind.
Jan 12, 2:25 AM

Aug 2013
The chick that was defending the witch seemed stupid, maybe she was infatuated by that spell.

The animation was very nice.

Guideau seems like a likeable character.

So this is just gonna be the duo hunting down someone that made the MC a chick?
Jan 12, 2:51 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Interest: piqued. Also the character designs are pretty good

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Jan 12, 3:32 AM

Jul 2019
Ahh... classic plot, but it feels quite fresh to experience this in this kind of story-telling. Really looking forward for more.
Jan 12, 4:01 AM

Jun 2021
Good start, but expecting better in the upcoming episodes with respect to portraying emotions and background score timing. It felt mixed up slightly. Still gonna watch this for Ashaf, dude is cool

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
Jan 12, 4:30 AM

Aug 2019
Reply to Isekai-Enjoyer
Joei-12 said:
I knew this would be a bad adaptation but even knowing that this has been extremely disappointing, The sound section is completely out of place and is incapable of transmitting any type of emotion, and the artistic section, God they haven't even tried it. It looks awful and lacks any impact, for example when Guideau returns to his original body in the manga you can see the importance of the scene, but they haven't done any of that in the anime. The music clashes with the scene. The colors chosen are terrible. It doesn't even have a good angle.

But the truth is I don't know why I was disappointed or bothered, this was so obvious what would happen, I mean a studio that only makes shitty isekais and a director who has never worked with dark fantasy.......... How stupid of me to even thinking that this would have a minimum of quality

If anything, the quality was a lot above average
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

No............ ...........It's not that everything always has exorbitant production levels, it's simply that at least it has minimum quality standards and this adaptation fails in everything.

To begin with the ost is completely out of place and lacks any type of impact when it comes to accompanying the scenes. The best example of this is when Guideau returns to his body, the ost doesn't accompany the moment since it clashes by not highlighting a moment which is supposed to be impactful, the same thing happens when Guideau kills the witch with his blow, the sound lacks impact.

Now on the part of the animation, it's rigid and crude, the color palette used is not appropriate since they use light colors for both the characters and the settings. The shots and framing are not that they're bad, it's that they're simply atrocious. An example of this is the introductory scene of the witch's, which has a static image. This part should have been a scene with a full body shot since by doing a close shot, they're simply making the scene lose the impact it should have.

All of these failures only get worse, and by the final moments of the episode it's simply unsustainable. I already mentioned it, but it is evident that none of those involved in this project have worked with a dark fantasy, and they have not known how to adapt the artistic style of the manga.

......God I'm already seeing how surely Court's powers are going to be with a disgusting CG and it's probably worse with Ashgan that I'm already seeing that they're going to completely make the character with CG
Jan 12, 6:09 AM
Aug 2016
Interesting story with extremely good drawings but stiff animation. I like where the story is going, reminds me of Vanitas. However, I am worried about the animation as it's pretty stiff and we barely get movements and just zoom-ins and zoom-outs. Let's hope it gets better.
Jan 12, 6:10 AM

Aug 2010
I feel like this is just a bunch of fetishes being smashed together.
A girl has to kiss witches to become a big hulking sexy emo boy..?

either way, the animation was down right non-existent some times, so im out.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 12, 6:23 AM
Jul 2021
stylistically the episode captured the general tone of Majo To Yajuu relatively well but I felt it was was kinda mid since I am a big fan of the source material and the direction felt all over the place with the transitions between frames and unintentionally off beat with a couple of scenes (timing of music etc, the reveal of Gideau's true body didn't feel dramatic enough) - hope this will improve over the course of the season
it's a tragedy that the beauty and detail of the manga simply cannot be done justice by Yokohama especially with the budget they probably are working with but it is what it is and I am still happy about the adaption and wait for more episodes to come out before I give a final verdict since the story and world building should be enough to make up for lacklustre animation for me
I do hope the fighting choreographies will look better and more active from here on out nonetheless tho
ArtemisSatoJan 12, 7:29 AM
I chased fame, fortune and CANDY during MALoween 23

Main :

Bonus:
Jan 12, 7:50 AM

Apr 2009
Well.. that was weak for first episode for my taste. At most a 5-6/10 for me. This is the kind of anime I imagine religious fanatics would make to sell the “all witches are evil” propaganda. Besides the overly simplistic premise, the characters are also run off the mill and one dimensional, no sense of mystery or originality whatsoever. The overly short fuse runt coupled with the calm and collected aloof tall dude. The show got interesting for 2 seconds for the big reveal before going back to mediocrity. I found myself constantly looking at the progress to see when it ends. Unlikely I would stick to watching it if it doesn’t pick up by episode 3.
Jan 12, 9:28 AM
Jul 2022
so he kiss random wizard just like kaiman bite random sorcerer lmao
Jan 12, 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
They surely did a quick job in first episode, finish a witch and that's it :p I kinda expected more mystery. But I wanna know what comes next and surely gonna watch. :) The story itself seems interesting to me.
Jan 12, 10:12 AM
Sep 2018
I liked the premise of the anime until Giudeau transformed into a weird muscle man. Can't we have women led action stars in anime, tired of this stereotype that women cannot fight and be in the action.

I'll keep watching for a couple episodes but that irked me alot.
Jan 12, 10:42 AM
Dec 2021
This is YAL studio so I'm satisfied with the animation but some frame the art is neglectful
Jan 12, 10:43 AM

Jun 2016
the fuck !! that girl kissed bad majo and turn into " the undertaker" from that coffin lmao
Jan 12, 10:52 AM

Jul 2008
Very interesting team of Ash and Guideau....she has me intrigued as a character and as to wtf she is.

Love the setting and atmosphere of the show so far as well.

This season is shaping up to be pretty decent.
Jan 12, 11:16 AM

Mar 2019
I liked this handsome guy who carries the coffin on his back, as well as having that wonderful voice of Toshiyuki Morikawa.🖤
This blonde girl I found very annoing..ヽ⁠(⁠`⁠Д⁠´⁠)⁠ノ
But the animation is very good and the theme seemed very interesting to me, let's see where this goes. ಠ⁠∀⁠ಠ
Jan 12, 11:18 AM

Aug 2022
A great episode of Majo to Yajuu. The animation is great and honestly the story looks quite interesting.

Most importantly, Guideau looks too cool for me, and so does Ashaf. Without a doubt, my top anime this season.

I'm sure this won't disappoint, so let's get started.

RafaBryanJan 12, 1:29 PM
Jan 12, 12:14 PM
Oct 2023
I'm very curious how this show will progress
Jan 12, 12:16 PM

Oct 2016
Very solid first episode. Quickly got into the lore and main premise of the show, and I have a feeling that it will be expanded upon. (7.9/10)
Jan 12, 12:17 PM

Feb 2023
DUUUUUDE!!! This show is freakin awesome! So much lore already. I want to know more about the worldbuilding and powers system.
Jan 12, 12:20 PM

Feb 2023
Reply to KANLen09
Mangaka Kousuke Satake's only Seinen dark fantasy, adventure thriller series is quite highly revered, so the anime I'm expecting to ace that also.

Sokoninaru's OP is decent enough for a start.

The coffin-holding Ashaf and the feral girl Guideau having a business with a witch, finds someone affiliated with her, only to find a manbeast shark on the loose, for its hero of the Lady Witch Ione to subdue it, which attracts the duo's interest. And Guideau is not the kind of person who does not like witches, enough for Ashaf to relay his welcome wishes to them and vanish out of sight. Their mission: find the witch who had cursed the city over 400 years ago of a hellfire, which both Ashaf and Guideau unfortunately cannot be let themselves into Ione's mansion, which her servant Marie vehemently denies being a hero for everyone. That, with the clash of the anniversary of the witch, has irrefutable evidence that both Ashaf and Guideau are definitely on the right track of Ione being an evil witch.

That is what exactly Ione is targeting for: using her most prominent followers as keys, her grandmother having sealed the hellfire but getting blamed for the curse and murdered by the consensus, she's using the same power to release the seal of the hellfire after 120 years, taking her revenge on the people of current for the atrocities of the past. That, combined with Guideau's curse to find out how to remove a witch's curse, which comes in two ways: the kiss of a prince, or the reverse from a witch who planted the curse on the person...or the 3rd: to kiss a witch, which is what Guideau did, and unlocks Ashaf's coffin releasing Guideau in full armour. Too bad, Ione was not the witch that they both were looking for, and as the Order of Magical Resonance, they're going witch-hunting.

Looks like Yokohama Animation Lab cooked this one, similar to last season's Kingdom no Oukoku a.k.a The Kingdoms of Ruin, only that this show executed everything better. And hot damn, it delivered.
@KANLen09 Damn bro...I was really excited for this show until you said the same studio did Kingdoms of Ruin. Hopefully Majo to Yujuu doesn't turn into the same mess that Kingdoms of ruin did. :-(
Jan 12, 12:44 PM

Mar 2014
Not so bad but I feel like the pacing a little too fast
Jan 12, 12:59 PM

Jun 2023
am i the only one who didn't understand shit about how the magic system works
Jan 12, 1:00 PM
Sep 2018
A Godzilla-Jaws like monster terrorising the whole city thanks to a boring villian witch and just boring reused action gory scenes. The only character I liked was FL unfortunately. Dropping it.. ;/
Jan 12, 1:24 PM

Jul 2011
ehh can't say that I liked it, especially characters.. but will wait couple of more eps to see how the story evolves.

tensaikoudakishi said:
am i the only one who didn't understand shit about how the magic system works

Nah, they did not explain it.
And I'm afraid there won't be any reasonable explanation at all.
nick_el_sonJan 12, 1:35 PM
Jan 12, 2:19 PM
Jul 2023
There was so much exposition and I still didn't understand a thing. One thing at a time - why did a random normal guy become a legged shark kaiju?
My theory is that is just what people do as a for of protest in this world. "Gas price got you down? March into the towns main square in your fish form!"
Jan 12, 3:18 PM

Mar 2008
That was fairly interesting. Im not sure this very polished digital look works for the vibe I feel it could do with some mild imperfections. Other than that i like the art style.

Uh did I miss something? How did the girl get her hands and feet back at the end?
Jan 12, 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
well, unlike with ishura in this one, the gore wasn't enough to make me drop the anime (or maybe i'm just in a different mood, idk)

i liked the witch, she looked pretty cool and strong

i was gonna say that, even if she is annoying, our main girl looked cool... but now that we saw "her" true form, the anime lost yet another point that could keep me interested...
so between being way darker than the stuff i usually want to watch, they also doing body swapping... great lol

well... yeah, i don't know if i wanna keep watching, i guess i'll decide next week
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jan 12, 5:43 PM
Apr 2021
Whoa I really liked this, the beginning lore alone hooked me into this show already and then we got that banger OP to add on to it like this shit was just all in all good🔥

The animation was really good same with the art as well I like Guideau and her reckless into fighting girl reminds me of Revy from Black Lagoon😭 and Asraf looked cold as hell and bro sounds like Gojo to me a lil bit even though that’s not his actual VA still cool tho

Looking forward to the next episode fasho I wonder what kind of witch they’ll fight next? :D
Jan 12, 9:03 PM

Mar 2016
A YURI THATS ALSO A YAOI???!??!??!!?? AND IT'S GOTH?????????????!!!
Jan 12, 10:12 PM

Jan 2024
it wasn't bad! the OP is fun and i'm happy with Ashaf's voice. i'll be watching the second episode.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

93 by AmyPrincess20 »»
Oct 7, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14

57 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Oct 1, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8

84 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Oct 1, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28

38 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 24, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21

39 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 3, 2:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.