Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »
Oct 1, 2017 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
Learning more about Kaneki's mother and how she died and his friendship with Hide was nice.

A lot of Kaneki and Rize moments, all unraveling in his head, their interactions were quite interesting.

Rize was trying to comfort him sort of whilst and in between his being tortured by Jason. I thought she seemed like she was definitely trying to look out for him and herself really, since she still exists inside of him.

Jason made him choose between those two and thanks to his mothers words about it better to be hurt yourself than hurting others he didn't choose, meaning they both died, the girl first then the guy who looked very pissed he didn't choose him to die, not surprisingly and like he would have killed Kaneki himself had he lived.

I liked the use of empty space in the backgrounds and white, which is hair turned also ... maybe the white in the backgrounds signifying he was a pure soul or emptiness he was feeling, or both, then turning red and all the flowers turning red when Rize touched them and when he restrained her, maybe to show he was letting his animalistic instincts and cannibalistic tendancies take over. Also, the screen did go black when he was eating Jason, to show he'd gone to the dark side maybe. Sort of how they did similar things in Psycho, and also his body housing his personality and Rize's is quite Norman Bates like also with his mother. Schizophrenic in the same way sort of, only she is sort of really inside of him. But I did notice similarities. We studied Psycho in film (and I finished Bates Motel not long ago too) and all the symbolism in that and this is somewhat similar in ways lol. I started to anaylse it more when I thought he and Rize were like Norman Bates and his mother I think lol.

I wonder if the whole show is a metaphor, I know Kaneki and the others turn in to real monsters called Ghouls. But maybe it's a metaphor for how even the kindest and nicest people can turn in to monsters when pushed far enough, he didn't want to turn in to the monster his instincts were telling him to become before, he was resisting because he wanted to remain the human he used to be. He didn't want to turn in to a murderer and cannibal. But then after all the torture, he realised to survive he would have to turn in to the very thing he didn't want to become.

He said he would never let Rize take over but she did seem to at least for a moment when Jason came back to him to torture him more near the end, maybe he just meant he wouldn't let her completely take over, I presume. Or it was because he sort of did it to use her powers. After he'd broke free in his mind and pinned her down, maybe he completely absorbed her personality in the end or something. She did seem to enjoy being crazy and so now it seems does Kaneki maybe.

But when he broke free of the chains and attacked Jason, the fight that ensued was epic! When he pinned him down in the end and then said he'd eat him because he had it coming since he was going to do the same to him, he went very dark, it was quite an unexpected shift in his personality. Plus, he made Jason start counting backwards from 1000 by 7 to keep him sane, just like he had done to him.

Then again, funny he became the torturer because Jason tortured him, the very same thing that had happened to Jason prior. They both became the way they did because someone sort fit to torture them and test their Ghoul abilities and Jason was obsessed with cutting of Kaneki's fingers and toes to see them regenerate which isn't normal.

Kaneki's hair changing colour so rapidly to white is strange but could be symbolism for something.

It was interesting to see such a gentle soul snap in the end, he even had an evil grin and sounded different.

I can't wait to see the next season and see what happens <3

stephtastropheOct 1, 2017 2:47 PM
Oct 21, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 2017
I feel like this and the first episode are the only episodes to actually feel like a horror show. The majority of this anime took the elements given to them and turned it into an action anime, which is not what it should be
Oct 23, 2017 8:02 AM
Aug 2017
I like to think that the reason his air turned white is because he experience cold fear such things can happen there are reports about it
Oct 24, 2017 5:24 AM
Sep 2017
White haired Kaneki is so COOL! As he said, he is not wrong. The wrong thing is that world! I really want to know what would happen to other people of Anteiku. May be I'm going watch the ss2 right now.
Feb 13, 2018 2:32 PM
Feb 2018
gostei do anime para min nesse site foi o primeiro
Apr 12, 2018 7:42 AM
Mar 2018
The ending was a pretty good cliffhanger.Kept me on the edge for a good 30-40 seconds before I started the second season.
May 6, 2018 3:13 PM

Sep 2017
Okay series. 6/10. The fight at the end should have been how all the fights in the series should have been. Anyways, Kaneki graduated.

Rize was awesome. Can't understand why a fucking dimwit of Kaneki ended up with Rize. And I am not happy with the ending not showing what happened to Aogiri.

That's it. I have completed this mess. Kinda sad that the ghouls were not exterminated.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 10, 2018 2:14 AM
May 2017
This did not go where I expected at all. Damn that was extreme torture.
May 11, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2017
The torture was really hard to watch and extremely unexpected. We didn't even really get a reason for his torture did we?
It was so rushed, and was into it in the beginning and I liked the characters, but this ending fucking sucked. I've also heard the second season is even worse, and I'm more than definitely not watching that
Nov 1, 2018 3:39 PM

Aug 2007
Def not as bad as some people are making it out to be...
I didn't read the manga, and I can see that it was rushed, but the beginning episodes and the ending episodes are really freaking good? That being said some of the middle episodes completely bored the crap out of me too.

I'm disappointed looking at sequel reviews, though. It looks like people didn't care for future takes on it either... I'll probably return to it one day.

If only because the first couple episodes were so good I was hoping for it to be much better, I have to give it a lower score. Slightly above average due to me feeling either really hyped or bored during episodes.

6/10

Nov 11, 2018 4:10 PM

Oct 2013
The score I gave to this anime decreased after seeing the finale. I was almost completely disappointed. Sure, I expected something big, but this finale did not feel as a finale at all. Beautiful plot-wise moments (some people complained about them, but I enjoyed that Kaneki and Rize scenes), then awesome fight with Jason, and... the end.

Was that a cliffhanger or just a terribly paced story? Dunno, but it felt just bad. I guess the story in 2nd season will continue straight from the moment it ended in 1st season.
Jan 17, 2019 12:30 PM

Jul 2014
Absolutely wonderful show. Very deep and thought-provoking allegory on racism.

10/10
Feb 13, 2019 9:55 PM
Oct 2017
Getting really tired of seasons that end with no closure, but this is the worst one I have ever experienced. Apart from that it was not too bad and the second half of the show was actually pretty good.

I am just dissapointed that so many character arcs and lose threads were just left hanging.
Apr 10, 2019 11:47 PM

Nov 2016
non manga reader

this was an awesome first season. lots of development between chars, epic fight scenes and so on. although that huge cliff hanger at the end was IMHO a bad call.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
May 6, 2019 10:03 AM
Dec 2017
I liked this anime. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I was 1st drawn to Tokyo Ghoul by hilariously bad reviews on this site and around the internet. I had to see if such a popular show was as bad as people were saying. And the answer is NO. Score 7/10.

On to season 2.
May 19, 2019 8:40 AM

Jun 2009
imagine this being the final episode
Oct 25, 2019 11:54 AM

Apr 2018
The flashbacks and Rize Kaneki part seriously dragggggeeeddddd on. I actually caught myself dozing off and having to rewind. The torture part seemed to drag on as well.

Bad ass fight at the end, but seemed rushed, however I enjoyed it. The hype in Ep 11 certainly did not reach full crescendo in the finale. A bit disappointed there, but I enjoyed this season nonetheless.

Finale gets like a 6/10, maybe 5 though lol.
Nov 10, 2019 12:39 PM

Mar 2018
The final episode was a bit boring because it felt like a recap with all those flashbacks.
Nov 21, 2019 1:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
What a crazy end for this anime, the last fight was really great
Feb 4, 2020 7:00 PM
Feb 2020
Whaaaaaaaaat theeeeee fuCK!!?!
Feb 18, 2020 8:59 PM

Mar 2019
So many Riza and Kaneki moments. Kaneki is a badass with that white hair. Jason finally got what he deserved and we see more of Hide and Kaneki's past especially his mom.
Apr 11, 2020 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Not gonna lie, that end fight gave me chills, just the blood and overpowered strength. Kaneki's swirling leg scene and the centipede still looks as nasty as I remember. Even though it was a great fight, I still find it kind of bullshit how someone with the experience and strength of Jason can't beat a newbie like Kaneki even though he has Rize's strength

I have to admit the story is pretty rushed, all this setup of ghoul vs humans war without any proper closures for this season

Apr 29, 2020 3:23 PM
Dec 2015
This episode dragged on but the ending fight wasn't bad. The censoring in this anime is kinda distracting
Aug 15, 2020 10:58 AM
Aug 2020
Unravel makes the fighting scene 100% better!
I've said this before and I'm gonna say it again IT IS SO RUSHED OH MY GOD!
Sep 1, 2020 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
Haven't read the manga but I can see what everyone was talking about it being 'rushed'. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it and white-haired Kaneki is badass. Can't wait to see him wearing the mask with his new hair as well.
Sep 10, 2020 1:29 PM
Oct 2019
LMAO. What a finale. I felt like this show did nothing but crap down its own leg the entire time. The whole inner monologue was awful. The indecision when the couple was killed was awful. It was all awful.

This was boring and lame and of no interest whatsoever. Little bitch boy Deku sucks so much. Wah wah, blames his mommy. Wah wah, blames the entire world. Wah wah stfu. That stupid Rize chick isn't any less annoying.

Whole thing was unearned. He's tortured for an episode and basically transforms into a god tier ghoul? No. And why is the audience supposed to like him? Why should I root for him? Because he's weak? No. Because he cries? No. Because he does anything useful with his life? No. Does he provide humor? Is he a wise strategist/philosopher/historian type? Is he the guy everyone wants to be (around)? No. No. No.

Deku is so awful, disinteresting and unoriginal that he steals Jason's knuckle cranking habit...

Tokyo Ghoul is mediocre. 6/10 for the whole season. Didn't make me want to watch season 2.
HagePotPotatoSep 10, 2020 1:33 PM
Sep 30, 2020 6:06 PM

Feb 2014
So this is the "awful, open ending" I have heard so much about, huh?
Yeah, I can see that, and considering Root A continues with a completely made up story, well, this was a pretty bad way to end for this anime.
Nov 3, 2020 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
i like the way ep 12 ended it was pretty dramatic but cool at the same time
Nov 25, 2020 6:52 PM
Aug 2020
ok, this episode was insane. It was really painful to watch Kaneki being tortured and his conversations with Rize, but in the end he was able to save him from himself and beated Jason up.
Jan 7, 2021 10:10 AM

May 2020
Well this is normal and Kaneki suddenly move to Aogiri. Idk anymore let see next.
Apr 4, 2021 4:15 PM

Jan 2016
Just read the synopsis for the next season and I don't know if I want to watch that. Why would he join Aogiri???
Apr 10, 2021 8:25 PM

Jun 2020
Finally, A flashback when his mom was still alive and how they lived their lives

So Rize is influencing Kaneki on how she sees the world comparing to his Kaneki has been in pain enough and it really does felt like hell to him

The White Haired One-Eyed Ghoul fighting off against Jason honestly Kaneki was badass and the anime ends like that hope to see more in the second season.
Apr 13, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
I dropped this show as it was airing, but decided recently to just finish it. Meh. I enjoyed the beginning more now, however, the show overall was rushed. Without being a manga reader, I can see that pacing was off. Unfortunately, the concensus is that the future seasons are worst / don't follow the source material. I think I'm done with the Tokyo Ghoul universe.
Apr 14, 2021 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
The emotions behind the consequences wasn't as perfect as it should be, but it was stunning. Some of the new characters could have got a better build up. But it is admirable that they didn't expand the torture arc.
May 10, 2021 7:46 AM
Apr 2021
I feel so bad for Kaneki, everyone wanting to kill him either because they just feel like it, he has Rize-san inside him (literally) or either he's a Ghoul participating in the Anteiku group. He's one of the protagonists that just suffer the whole anime, and in his whole life. Always finding a problem or someone that wants to exterminate him for no reason at all, just because he's half ghoul, or half human.

I don't believe that this is his "fault" but he was blindly following his mother life choice, "Prefer to hurt yourself than to hurt the others." Which I DON'T agree with. You can help the others, but you also need to help yourself, if you don't, you can't help the others like that. White-haired Kaneki doesn't fit Kaneki at all, but that's the only way he can survive... The torture he passed through, screaming and everything, just to pass through all the sorts of trauma, ending up like this...
Jun 15, 2021 5:45 PM

Jun 2020
OOOOOHHHHHHHH THE EEEEEDGE
Jul 30, 2021 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
Okay, the dialogue between Kaneki and Rise was kinda cringe.
Was going to give it like a 6 but no, 5-4 is good enough.
Aug 16, 2021 5:10 AM

Jul 2021
Finally kaneki has changed. That was some intense torture. The last 10 mins maybe the best of this whole season.
Oct 15, 2021 8:54 PM
Aug 2020
For anyone looking for a character like Kaneki (honestly, there will never be a replacement...), I just made a new club called "Kaneki Club". Feel free to join—actually, more importantly, feel free to recommend other characters that I can add to the club. In the 4 years or so since the final episodes of this season ended, I have only found 2 characters that resonate—and barely resonate—with Kaneki.
Nov 11, 2021 4:40 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang, that sucked. I have no clue as to how this is one of the most popular anime ever, but okay. We don't get the non-pussy version of kaneki until 5 minutes before it abruptly ends. Nice

So apparently they did a speed run through the manga, and it kind of feels like they needed more time to tell this story. It felt like they cut out a lot of scenes that would've help flesh out the events and characters more. The pacing of the plot is just choppy, it really didn't flow well and really wasn't anything better than a random event happening after another. There are gaps that need to be filled, but weren't. And thus my reaction most of the time was just, "huh?"

But at the same time, it feels like nothing significant happened at all, like they stretched out a story that could've been told in one episode. Don't know how else to describe it other than it feels both rushed AND stretched at the same time, and the end result is that it just doesn't feel right at all. Sure the parents of a child ghoul both died, I guess that's pretty significant, but they make it hard for you to care for these characters. And of course we have the finale which is the rescue and then we get the famous white-haired ghoul that is ken kaneki, but then it just ends and we're like, "so what?"

Ok so the pacing is really off but I feel lenient enough to let it off the hook. It's the characters that make so little sense, what is up with everyone? What's the deal with rize? Why'd they introduce so many characters out of nowhere in the final act? Oh yeah because it's rushed. Idk why ken kaneki is a popular character, he's just another one of your typical whiny weakling mc's. Maybe it's because it came out back in 2014 and we still didn't get many bitchass mc's yet, but I still really can't get behind this guy. The other side characters aren't anything noteworthy, and fall flat at times even. As for touka, she could've been a high-tier waifu, but she is just too edgy, just like the rest of this anime.

I simply picked this up because again, it's one of the most popular anime ever, for some reason. That and of course that op. I think the first time I heard it was the donald trump lip-syncing one. Anyway, if you're one of the few anime fans who hasn't watched this and want to try it out simply because of massive popularity like I did, just don't. Unless you want to waste your time watching an edgy mess, both literally and figuratively, then go right ahead, be my guest. But dang it just feels so messy. Like they glossed over how kaneki was able to control his hunger, or did I miss the explanation somewhere? Was it those brown sugar-cube-looking things that they dropped in their coffee, was that human meat?

Anyway early on I was thinking about giving it a 3/10 but for me a 3/10 still has untapped potential. This feels like it couldn't have been any better than simply an messy, bloody edge-fest. It's getting a 2/10 from me. Actually no screw it, after this last episode, this really is one of the most trash anime I've seen yet. It's getting a big fat bloody 1 out of 10. To think that due to its popularity, that this was probably the first anime for many people, just makes me sad bro

During the first few episodes I was contemplating on watching the sequel, or spin-off, or whatever that tokyo ghoul square root of A is. But now, not a chance. I could barely sit through the last episode. I didn't even watch it straight, I watched like 3 minutes, went to get food, came back but watched some youtube instead, came back to mal and browsed and posted on some threads, and then remembered "oh shit, I'm still watching the last episode of the masterpiece that is tokyo ghoul"- and it's all just some backstory that at this point I couldn't care less about. It was a painful watch in more than one way, was so glad when it was over

First few episodes in I thought this was pretty generic, but still enjoyable. By the end, however, it's one of the worst anime I've ever seen. Actually no, just took a look at my list again, and I can say with confidence, it is THE worst from anime I've seen yet. Would give it a zero if I could.

I realize I ranted on quite a bit in an episode discussion, I'm sorry

TL;DR? I normally don't tell people to avoid a certain anime, in case there's the chance that they might enjoy something that I didn't. But in the case of tokyo ghoul (maybe the manga is somewhat decent, but I don't care in the slightest to read it), please avoid at all costs.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 17, 2022 12:20 AM

Dec 2018
i know nothing about tokyo ghoul going into this but it was pretty good. rushed ending.
Feb 12, 2022 8:07 AM
Dec 2021
It could be better... liked it:)
Feb 13, 2022 12:49 AM

May 2020
What a hard episode to get through. This episode should go down as one of the most iconic in anime ever. A bit shocked to see its only t 60% 5/5
Feb 14, 2022 3:07 AM

Mar 2020
The ending was rushed, though I liked the series overall.
"The best defence is a good offence" - Kiyoshi Fujino (Prison School EP 11)
Feb 17, 2022 7:25 AM
Feb 2022
Ay was blown away and ay really like the characters and there development in the show and ending was sad as ay that ay was just sad that many died and just because they were difrend
Jul 3, 2022 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Some years ago I ended up dropping this anime but revisiting into completion has made me feel a little regretful of the wait. Personally thought the anime was okay and certainly entertaining.

The episode ended too soon for me, I really wanted to see Jason suffer. What a psychotic creep.

I feel so terrible for Kaneki. Having to adapt into the brutality of this world in such a bold and illustrative way. The dialogue between Rize and Kaneki caught me by surprise. A bearing of resilience and tough lessons on being taken advantage of. It was a constructive means for Kaneki to put his experiences in life under examination. Harsh realities and all. My only hope is that he can find a balance within himself, and not entirely lose his personality to Rize's exploitation and Jason's cruelty. Both his body and mentality have reached a critical limit. There's no way this incident hasn't altered him to some degree. Moving on to Season two in order to discover just how much.
removed-userJul 3, 2022 8:01 PM
Aug 13, 2022 8:04 PM
Feb 2020
Insane. assuming they dont undo this instantly in season 2. this was the ballsiest ending to a season I . have ever seen. And a wild character shift. Even though it was quick it still felt pretty earned. Dont know what morals the creartors are trying to sell tbough.
Aug 24, 2022 4:49 PM
Jul 2022
90% of the episode was him getting tortured. boring as hell
Sep 3, 2022 4:58 AM
Aug 2021
exacly that was really good
Sep 3, 2022 8:42 PM
Aug 2022
Kaneki being tortured then being him coming insanely op was cool
Pages (17) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.