Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 15, 2022 12:32 PM
Apr 2014
DAMN this show hooked me in right away and stole the spotlight from all the other ones! Like everyone else says, Higurashi feel with re:zero MC. I am loving this!

EDIT. Watched the 1st ep. twice... That's a first for me!
SummerADDEApr 15, 2022 5:42 PM
Apr 15, 2022 12:52 PM

Jul 2010
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
itsmythanks said:

What if those were some hints? It's a mystery genre after all

Hahahahaha, now that would be SOME twist lol. But I doubt it. I mean, what hint can there be in a striped panties or big boobas? xD

I mean he could tell who's imposter just by looking at their panties LMAOO XDD
Apr 15, 2022 12:52 PM

Apr 2022
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
It's a promising start but god I hate the unnecessary fanservice BS in anime!

You get nearly-insta "face in the boobs" moment + panty-shot of a girl. Don't know about others, but this feels like a slap in the face to people who want to take the show seriously.

I mean, that is clearly a BAIT for people to keep watching, but doesn't it make you feel insulted to some degree? I mean, is the show going to be trash/average and that's why the author uses bait to keep people hooked? I don't see what other reason can there be for such BS.

I agree. One of the reasons I was looking forward to it when it got on Disney plus was that theyd remove all the fanservice. Seems like that’s not the case.
Apr 15, 2022 1:20 PM

Aug 2013
Probably my favorite start of this season not counting continuations.
I'd rate it even higher than Kunoichi Tsubaki and Deaimon.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 15, 2022 1:26 PM

Jul 2021
Bronwulf said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
It's a promising start but god I hate the unnecessary fanservice BS in anime!

You get nearly-insta "face in the boobs" moment + panty-shot of a girl. Don't know about others, but this feels like a slap in the face to people who want to take the show seriously.

I mean, that is clearly a BAIT for people to keep watching, but doesn't it make you feel insulted to some degree? I mean, is the show going to be trash/average and that's why the author uses bait to keep people hooked? I don't see what other reason can there be for such BS.

I agree. One of the reasons I was looking forward to it when it got on Disney plus was that theyd remove all the fanservice. Seems like that’s not the case.

That's just Disney Plus though, this series is also available in many various Japanese Tv Streaming sites (TOKYO MX, BS11, etc) that'll keep the fanservice and Disney plus is obviously teen or kid friendly though anyone @ me if you own Disney Plus and tell me whether whatever fanservice showed up in the first episode is censored or not because I have my doubts too.
CQLLISTApr 15, 2022 1:34 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 15, 2022 1:27 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
That was really a good start.
Apr 15, 2022 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
that was an intriguing start! i got goosebumps when the shadows started being mentioned

mc looking cool, i like the longish hair and the eyes, it was funny when he swept the hair back and it fell back into place lol

and i also like the animations of him getting shot, sorry shinpei...
Apr 15, 2022 2:34 PM

Jan 2018
I was really excited about Summer Time Rendering and the first episode sure delivered. Even tho I read the manga, I was still on the edge of my seat. It perfectly created the atmosphere it needed it to be. The direction and music added so much to set up the mysterious tone. And the ending scene definitely works as a great way to hook you in. All in all really good start. Sucks that it's on Disney+ but at least we are getting the fansubs a day after.
ARK-13Apr 15, 2022 2:37 PM
Apr 15, 2022 2:44 PM
Jul 2020
At first I thought it would be boring so I would drop it after the first ep, but the twist at the end convinced me otherwise. ^^ (sorry for bad English)
Apr 15, 2022 2:46 PM
Aug 2021
omg this was amazing I couldn't take me eyes away but then that plot twist at the end
..what?!?
Apr 15, 2022 3:07 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, I'm in! It's not everyday we see time-travel stories with the mystery and a premise such as this. Another cool aspect of the show was the eerie soundtracks, this is like a page straight out of Higurashi and I'm digging it!

I knew something was up with Mio-chan in the scene where she kept staring at her house from afar. Could she have been a doppelgänger or shadow? I feel like shadows shouldn't be a real thing though, but who knows.

Interesting to note that one of the drunk men was approached by Shin. So there's a present him and the future him who's back in this timeline? I need more clues. This is why I love time-travel mysteries!

Op & ED are both to the uncommon side but I liked both! ED showing a bit of the real island (I'm guessing) was a nice touch and the Op for the most bit is imagery of some sort but it certainly fits. I'm so glad I didn't check out the trailer beforehand for this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 15, 2022 3:10 PM
Nov 2018
LostChristmasX said:
holy shit. as someone who's read the manga, the first episode has faithfully adapted the suspense, foreshadowing, and horror of the manga so well. Looking forward to rest of the season.

Totally ! Was not expecting such quality for our not famous manga.. ! In France, the final volume just got released today by the way =D !
Apr 15, 2022 3:11 PM

Jun 2014
Wow that was a solid 1st ep!! Super creepy vibes hope it keeps up this level of quality.

really did not expect the fan service though as someone who has never heard of the source material LMAO it really felt out of pocket
Apr 15, 2022 3:40 PM
Jan 2022
Just first episode and there are enough ecchi already 🤦 most of this bored me, the only time that interesting was when the old man told about shadow disease and when MC and his friend got shot. Not a fan for now. Not a fan of OP, and the ED sounds a bit creepy.

6/10
Apr 15, 2022 3:53 PM

Feb 2019
Yes, I know (at the risk of minor spoilers) that the eye thing's because it's some kind of wacky magical shadow eye giving him timeloop powers, but good lord, are they going out of their way to make it obtrusive every time they zoom in on one eye glowing light a lighthouse. It was distracting, which is pretty bad when there's so little else going on in the episode. The outbreak of head pops at the end was a good enough way to end the episode as a hook into the second, but there wasn't enough going on in the rest of the episode for that to be a sudden jolt in the same way that shows like Ga-Rei or even Shigofumi accomplished. Get people sucked in and then take a left turn into visceral gore to shock. It doesn't work so well when you're still puttering about the runway. You can still tell a decent dramatic story in ten minutes and then make everything go pear shaped for happy headpops time after that.

It is a very quiet show, which is definitely at contrast to most of the rest of the season, and does help at least a little bit to create an unsettling, forboding atmosphere which could be built off of, or it could be that the little music it did have was sinister. Still though, there was not much of anything really going on. Dude comes back for funeral. The tan girl flashed her underwear. People said things like "Wow, it's been a long time since I ate your curry." There was one weird phonecall with a frantic dude, weird mostly because everything began glowing bright red for some reason. The lighter touch is better than having him flat out narrate an introduction to each main character, mind you, but we're still doing faceplants into boobs and pratfalls to flash underwear, so I don't think we have the intellectual, dramatic, or tonal high ground well established.
Apr 15, 2022 4:18 PM

Jan 2021
SM_Anime said:
It so far reminds me of Re:Zero and Steins;Gate put together.

Interesting...

i combed through this discussion to find someone else who drew the Re:Zero comparison, glad to see it's not just me
Apr 15, 2022 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
Another time loop huh, let's see. The direction of this ep is very good tbh for explain the story
Apr 15, 2022 4:41 PM

Feb 2019
Ight so finally got to watch the first episode on Disney plus and bro what the fuck omg, this is a potential masterclass in the making. That entire final 2 minutes I had my jaw on the floor, audibly saying “what the fuck” when mio’s shadow shot the big tiddied onee-san. Then that reset from death… major bokumachi and ReZero vibes
Apr 15, 2022 4:48 PM

Apr 2018
MANGA READERS SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THE ADAPTATION? HOW MUCH CONTENT IS REMOVED ?

Don't worry about the subject of respecting the adaptation of the 139 episodes of the manga into 25 episodes.

The chapters of the manga are very short (rarely more than 15 pages) and usually have a lot of action scenes.

Here with the adaptation of the episode we have just adapted the first chapter (which is 75 pages exceptionally) which means that we must be an over ratio of adaptations between 4 and 5 lambda chapter of the manga in 1 episode without having the least element of cut (or then very anodyne to be remarkable).

If we follow this rhythm of adaptation of 5 chapters per episode (even more when there is some action), we are about 28 episodes (but less with the action). With some slight cuts there is a way to fit everything in 25 episodes.
Apr 15, 2022 5:19 PM

Dec 2015
Too much ecchi scenes for a mystery anime, I hope this isn't a strategy o hide a bad storytelling...
Apr 15, 2022 5:28 PM

Jan 2019
Directing is very good
Art is very good
Details is very good
Ecchi is unnecessary and bad.
Story, Mystery, Writing Quality is unknown because you can't really judge mystery series from one episode, it can go from masterpiece to trash very easily.

I hope mysteries don't butcher itself with plot holes.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Apr 15, 2022 6:32 PM
Jul 2021
It had a Jaw Droping start
Apr 15, 2022 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
the first ep's perfectly animated as the mysterious and gruesome atmosphere is on point!
Apr 15, 2022 6:52 PM
Jan 2017
Damn i'm not into loop time animes but this one is so much good, i think this one is gonna be one of the best animes i've ever seen this season, i liked the mood and the atmosphere, the drawing is good as well, really excited for next eps
Apr 15, 2022 6:53 PM
Jan 2017
Okeanix said:
Directing is very good
Art is very good
Details is very good
Ecchi is unnecessary and bad.
Story, Mystery, Writing Quality is unknown because you can't really judge mystery series from one episode, it can go from masterpiece to trash very easily.

I hope mysteries don't butcher itself with plot holes.
i wouldn't consider that ecchi tbh, but we will see what's gonna happen
Apr 15, 2022 7:14 PM

Jun 2015
Ah... Are we doing this again? Are we doing Umineko again? Isolated island, the myth of the island, the protagonist being the sole person who is aware of everything. It's a mix between Umineko and Re:Zero, I may say. Okay then, let's do it.

Keys:

1. Shinpei's "return from death" ability.
2. Ushio's death is the start of everything, telling Shinpei to "protect Mio". She knows a vital information about the whole fiasco.
3. The myth about Shadow and its supposed return after a long time.
4. Suspicious woman in suit.
5. The all-knowing character, Hunter-san.
6. The shrine is the safe spot, but somewhat unusable.
7. Gun. Whose gun?
8. Suspicious police.
9. Confirmed Shadow appearances:
- Ushio
- Mio
- Shinpei

Let me say this upfront... Clone/Doppelgänger/Impostor pattern is overpowered. There should be a rule for this trope to flourish. Let's say "Shadow can only appear to one person at the time." That much is strong already since after the Shadow kills its host, it will continue to kill the host's family.

Those were just what I grasp from watching the episode once. Only a bunch of raw information for now, though I have a few ideas. I hope it won't go too far into supernatural as it will make the story less believable.

The next episode is likely to be "Ah, was it just a dream?" episode. So we're going to repeat everything all over again with the protagonist not doing anything significant. I welcome thee, the thriller of the season.
Apr 15, 2022 7:18 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I have to admit, the ending of the first episode actually did catch me by surprise, looks like its going to be a lot of time loops. Also Mio might be the prettiest tan girl I seen in anime since Amy from Suisei Gargentia.
Apr 15, 2022 7:58 PM

Jan 2011
wasn't expecting ecchi from this so that was kinda ehh.. but some hints were drop throughout the episode so i was curious to see where it was going then the ending happened once the lil sis got killed i was like yep this is gonna be a looper ,i'm looking forward to the moment when he doesn't wake up in the ladies chest because hes done it so much
Apr 15, 2022 8:39 PM

Nov 2011
Watched on TVer. This series wasn't on my watch list at all, but with over 9,000 likes on TVer from Japanese viewers (possibly the most liked anime of the season on that streaming service), I had to at least give it a try.
I usually don't watch mystery/thriller, but the story seems interesting and I can see why there's so much hype over the show.

edit: correction: the first episode now has passed 10,000 likes. For comparison's sake, most other shows of the season have between 1,000 to 3,000 likes.
DreamingBeatsApr 15, 2022 8:44 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 15, 2022 8:49 PM

May 2021
The info exposition seems kind of over the top and relatively boring, but the eerie vibe was achieved, I hope that this doesn't drag too much

Apr 15, 2022 9:03 PM

Oct 2021
Finally a good mystery thriller to sing my teeth into!
An amazing series, the pacing and animation is also good the op and ed is also unique.
Don't know about you guys but I'm kind of getting higurashi & Re: Zero vibes.
Apr 15, 2022 9:32 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty solid first episode.
I've start the manga few years ago, at that time I hadn't read Higurashi (Visual Novel) so I didn't make the link.
But with the anime I see that we clearly have some Higurashi vibes even with the OST at the end. We have cicadas too.

Could be one of the best this season.
Apr 15, 2022 9:58 PM

May 2020
This was so good! Gives me some vibes that I can't remember but it's there. Can't wait for more!
Apr 15, 2022 11:20 PM

Apr 2015
Went into this thinking it was going to be a nice, peaceful SOL since I only saw the anime cover...I was dead-ass wrong lol. A welcome surprise though. I love these kinds of suspenseful shows, and I think it did pretty well in that regard just from the first episode. I was expecting Shinpei and Mio to die soon since both of their doppelgangers were hanging around (Mio's in front of their house and the police guy, Tetsu, said he saw Shinpei), but they both ended up dying by the end of the episode already. Pretty intriguing stuff. Just noticed it'd be 25 episodes, so I'm guessing they're going to adapt the entire manga? Hope it's going to be a solid watch all the way through. Looking forward to the next episode!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 15, 2022 11:57 PM
Jan 2017
heyy tell me is this another hugurashi, anohana or rezero?
Apr 16, 2022 12:33 AM
Apr 16, 2022 12:53 AM

Jan 2020
Phenomenal first episode. Am I getting huge Erased vibes? Yes. Do I hate it? Absolutely not. At first the show strikes you as a simple mystery, but it's more than just that. The tension buildup and the direction add that horror component that I haven't seen in Erased. I stopped breathing for a second there without realizing it.

The art is sublime and it's a long cour on top of all that. I'm all in.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 16, 2022 1:29 AM
Jun 2017
whooow!!!! its like Subaru thing from re zero...

and im interested in the story and its theme so im going to watch this one... lets go...
Apr 16, 2022 1:35 AM

Apr 2018
I have a feeling that this anime might end up in my favorites.

Apr 16, 2022 2:19 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been cleaned. Please do not ask when subs/raws will be released, or where to download/watch an episode.
Apr 16, 2022 2:31 AM

Oct 2008
here we go again with the restart troupe! hope they gave us something different...or maybe a twist...and also 25 eps? isn't that kinda long?!?
4/5.

Apr 16, 2022 2:51 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
ANIME OF THE SEASON????????

Apr 16, 2022 5:08 AM

Jan 2021
Lets be honest. This episode blew me away. Such a strong first episode. Nothing else to say
Apr 16, 2022 5:34 AM

Apr 2013
My favourite thing about this episode is that they didn't start with the scene of them getting killed.
Apr 16, 2022 5:40 AM

Jul 2014
As far as mystery anime go, this was an excellent opening episode in terms of both introducing the characters and in terms of setting up the mystery.

And I was not seeing the time-loop aspect coming at all: what a great way to do that, killing both main characters off so unexpectedly and then introducing the looping, rather than starting with that.
Apr 16, 2022 5:56 AM

Oct 2021
x2kill4 said:
heyy tell me is this another Higurashi, anohana or rezero?
A combination of Re:Zero+higurashi
Apr 16, 2022 5:58 AM
Dec 2020
for manga readers -

HOLY SHIT THE FORESHADOWING WAS DONE SO WELL
Apr 16, 2022 5:58 AM

Jun 2021
Higurashi but on tropical island
Apr 16, 2022 6:25 AM

May 2018
Di we just have one of those anime with a Tom Cruise's Live. Die. Repeat. thing agani?
Apr 16, 2022 7:24 AM

Aug 2020
Pretty exhilarating ep . Mio was already showing ( still is ) some suspicious signs and the ending proved it even more so . That being said , that funeral was way too cheerful . Even the Alan dude , who seemingly is the father figure of their family , seemed way too calm for someone who just lost his daughter .

The plot has me intrigued , but goddamn does the ed song has me HOOKED . If kaguya sama wins best ed for visuals , this one one winsit for the song . It so good
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2022

103 by Itachiunderwater »»
Jun 29, 7:08 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2022

180 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Jun 25, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 12, 2022

152 by infring »»
Jun 19, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

476 by DynaXam »»
Jun 11, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2022

82 by yusufonur98 »»
May 31, 2:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.