Forum Settings
Forums

What old Anime you wish others have watched more?

New
Mar 19, 2022 3:43 AM
May 2017
I am talking about Anime older than 20 years old. Rest of the shows we will talk about as modern shows that need more attention. It's just my way of seeing it. Because I think they can still gain attraction easily compare to the shows made over 20 years ago.

So, by start with 2002 and backward what show you think need more attention. In my case; it have to be Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 19, 2022 3:51 AM

Aug 2021
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
I know it isn't that unpopular but I think it still deserve much more attention than it gets.

pigeons on the roof
watching a wintry landscape
always seem hungry

Mar 19, 2022 3:52 AM

Jun 2016
Patlabor is fairly popular but I wish it were just a tiny bit more popular. It's a franchise with equally strong serious and light hearted entries, strong soundtrack and character designs and very high production values in the two Oshii directed films.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 19, 2022 4:07 AM
May 2017
remiagined said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
I know it isn't that unpopular but I think it still deserve much more attention than it gets.

I have heard of it but yet to watch it. Just like you said it's popularity today isn't that dead.
Mar 19, 2022 4:09 AM
May 2017
Theo1899 said:
Patlabor is fairly popular but I wish it were just a tiny bit more popular. It's a franchise with equally strong serious and light hearted entries, strong soundtrack and character designs and very high production values in the two Oshii directed films.

I haven't watch Patlabor properly but it is indeed something people today need to watch. Since, it have it's vibe which isn't present anymore in modern shows.
Mar 19, 2022 10:12 AM

Feb 2016
The legal issues surrounding Candy Candy are disappointing. The only way to watch it anywhere is through piracy.

remiagined said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

I'd rather people watch the shows that inspired Utena. None of them are as popular except Sailor Moon, and even Utena fans don't watch them all.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 10:21 AM

Apr 2011
LOTGH? Try Space Cobra, Votoms, Ulysses 31...
Mar 19, 2022 10:23 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Kindaichi case files and Kochikame both from 1996 so more than 20 years old...
That's because of the popularity of the shows in japan and other countries where they were shown compared to rest of Europe and America.. (kochikame was shown in spain on canal tv)

Mar 19, 2022 10:25 AM
Mar 2022
The Little Mermaid Ponyo I've watched it 4 times I'll watch it again it's really beautiful
Mar 19, 2022 10:30 AM

Nov 2016
I wish more people watched Ashita no Joe. Season 2 was really ahead of it's time.
Mar 19, 2022 10:32 AM
May 2017
Lucifrost said:
The legal issues surrounding Candy Candy are disappointing. The only way to watch it anywhere is through piracy.

remiagined said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

I'd rather people watch the shows that inspired Utena. None of them are as popular except Sailor Moon, and even Utena fans don't watch them all.

Maybe if the legal issue is fixed or someone like Sentai Filmwork buy it's licensing rights.
Mar 19, 2022 10:33 AM
May 2017
IKKIsama said:
LOTGH? Try Space Cobra, Votoms, Ulysses 31...
I heard a lot about VOTOMS. I planned to watch it in the future.
Mar 19, 2022 10:34 AM
May 2017
ryo-san said:
That's because of the popularity of the shows in japan and other countries where they were shown compared to rest of Europe and America.. (kochikame was shown in spain on canal tv)
Kochikame is completely unknown today even with it's popularity in whole Asia back in early 2000s.
Mar 19, 2022 10:36 AM
May 2017
aemi__ said:
The Little Mermaid Ponyo I've watched it 4 times I'll watch it again it's really beautiful

That is one forgotten Ghibli work even though how recent it was compare to other movies released in 80s that are more popular.
Mar 19, 2022 10:36 AM
May 2017
Pixel_Vapour said:
I wish more people watched Ashita no Joe. Season 2 was really ahead of it's time.
I heard the season 2 animation is amazing. I am hyped to finish season 1 and jump right into season 2.
Mar 19, 2022 10:37 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
almightybismarck said:
ryo-san said:
Kochikame is completely unknown today even with it's popularity in whole Asia back in early 2000s.

Yes i know... People will love it,they love Gintama so I've no doubt.. if someone makes the episodes available and i know some fans who will sub them.

Mar 19, 2022 10:42 AM
May 2017
ryo-san said:
almightybismarck said:

Yes i know... People will love it,they love Gintama so I've no doubt.. if someone makes the episodes available and i know some fans who will sub them.

It was fansubbing that bought many shows to light but official blu-ray release at a reasonable price is would be the best option to bring it back to popularity.
Mar 19, 2022 10:57 AM
Aug 2016
The dub to Garzeys Wing is a masterpiece that needs to be watched by everyone, also i don't hear people talk about Golden Boy anymore which is sad.
Mar 19, 2022 10:58 AM
Aug 2016
The dub to Garzeys Wing is a masterpiece that needs to be watched by everyone, also i don't hear people talk about Golden Boy anymore which is sad.
Mar 19, 2022 10:59 AM

Feb 2016
almightybismarck said:
Maybe if the legal issue is fixed or someone like Sentai Filmwork buy it's licensing rights.

The legal issues with Candy Candy are in Japan. They will never be fixed.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 11:15 AM
May 2017
tristin1360 said:
I was going to watch it. Since, you said it I will look at the dub instead.
Mar 19, 2022 11:18 AM

Feb 2019
ryo-san said:

This!! I like these two anime.
Sad that they aren't popular outside of Japan.
Mar 19, 2022 11:20 AM
May 2017
Lucifrost said:
almightybismarck said:

The legal issues with Candy Candy are in Japan. They will never be fixed.
Must be Teoi and it's shenanigans. Might be fixed one day since a lot of licensor studios are eager to buy old works with recent popularity boom.
Mar 19, 2022 11:21 AM

May 2018
"What old Anime you wish others have watched more?"

GS Mikami
Mar 19, 2022 11:21 AM
May 2017
Sakuta002766 said:
ryo-san said:

This!! I like these two anime.
Sad that they aren't popular outside of Japan.
Many Anime like Gintama will never be popular outside of Japan.
Mar 19, 2022 11:23 AM
May 2017
alshu said:
"What old Anime you wish others have watched more?"

GS Mikami
The premise look fun. Don't have time to try it right away.
Mar 19, 2022 11:43 AM

Feb 2016
almightybismarck said:
Might be fixed one day since a lot of licensor studios are eager to buy old works with recent popularity boom.

The manga and anime are both out of print due to a disagreement between the author and illustrator. Candy Candy used to be popular in a number of countries, but the creators will probably have to die before it can be licensed again.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 11:45 AM

Mar 2021
Ultimately I think Every Anime Fan should watch "Robot Carnival" at least once in their life so they can understand the beauty of traditional anime at its best before studios stopped using Cels.

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that eventually got over shadowed by the release of "Akira". Sadly "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that is becoming more forgotten as time goes by in western fandom.

I also think every user should sit down and watch the entire series of "Agent Aika" and "Najica Blitz Tactics". So western fandom can shut up and stop complaining about fanservice in todays Anime. It will give them quite the perspective of how tame a random panty scene is in your average Anime series.
ColourWheelMar 19, 2022 11:53 AM
Mar 19, 2022 12:18 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that eventually got over shadowed by the release of "Akira". Sadly "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that is becoming more forgotten as time goes by in western fandom.

Miyazaki is popular worldwide, and I have never seen Akira get anywhere near as much attention. I do not think very highly of Nausicaa, but I do prefer it over Akira. Castle in the Sky is the Miyazaki title I wish more people would watch.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 12:31 PM
Oct 2020
Well I haven't watched any unpopular old anime, but already have Rurouni Kenshin in the watchlist
Mar 19, 2022 12:52 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:

Miyazaki is popular worldwide, and I have never seen Akira get anywhere near as much attention. I do not think very highly of Nausicaa, but I do prefer it over Akira. Castle in the Sky is the Miyazaki title I wish more people would watch.

If you noticed what I said, it's western fandom that seems to forget old classics like they are out of style fads. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" was popular worldwide but "Akira" still did eventually over shadow it in the west.

Just the fact that over twice as many users have participated in scoring "Akira" over "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is telling enough on MAL.
ColourWheelMar 19, 2022 12:59 PM
Mar 19, 2022 1:05 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
Just the fact that over twice as many users have participated in scoring "Akira" over "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is telling enough on MAL.

Those numbers only mean that Akira fans are more likely than Nausicaa fans to use this website. Pokemon's numbers are also lower than Akira's, but only someone living under a rock would think fewer people have seen Pokemon.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 1:11 PM
Feb 2021
Utena
Mugen no ryvius
Patlabor
Fushigi yuugi
Wolf rain
Ashita no joe
Zeta gundam
08 ms team gundam
Saint seiya
Votoms
Inuyasha
Vision of escaflowne

They deserve more attention
Mar 19, 2022 1:13 PM
Mar 19, 2022 1:16 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:

Those numbers only mean that Akira fans are more likely than Nausicaa fans to use this website. Pokemon's numbers are also lower than Akira's, but only someone living under a rock would think fewer people have seen Pokemon.

I don't think comparing Pokemon to a one shot movie released almost four decades ago is a very fair assessment. As well as the fact that Pokemon is truly still an active franchise.

I have watched the original Pokemon series before. But only a few episodes and not the entire series. So I didn't even bother to score it or add it to my own list. I think I can say the same for anyone else I grew up with that actively watched Anime too back then.
ColourWheelMar 19, 2022 1:22 PM
Mar 19, 2022 1:19 PM

Sep 2020
SAINT SEIYA !!! It is my bias. The most beautiful soundtrack, mythology, and sadness. The father of battle shounen and power of friendship ! lol
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Mar 19, 2022 1:25 PM

Mar 2017
ColourWheel said:
Lucifrost said:

If you noticed what I said, it's western fandom that seems to forget old classics like they are out of style fads. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" was popular worldwide but "Akira" still did eventually over shadow it in the west.

The initial western release of "Nausicaa" was a hack job under the title "Warriors of the Wind" that cut more than 20 minutes from the film, in addition to changing all the character names, and promoting it with poster/cover art that featured three male characters who don't even appear in the film. This treatment is what drove Studio Ghibli to adopt an international licensing policy of no cuts, and no changing character names. Nowadays you seldom see character names changed in international/western releases and I sometimes wonder if it would be a lot more common if it hadn't been for Studio Ghibli taking a stand 30+ years ago.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 19, 2022 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
Giant Robo the Animation and GaoGaiGar.
Mar 19, 2022 1:31 PM

Sep 2015
Haibane Renmei came out in 2002 and it's such a relaxing but also tense story about regret, acceptance, and finding your own path that I love so much. It's not for everyone, but the nostalgic SoL elements always feel cathartic to me.
Mar 19, 2022 1:40 PM

Mar 2021
mwalimu said:
ColourWheel said:

The initial western release of "Nausicaa" was a hack job under the title "Warriors of the Wind" that cut more than 20 minutes from the film, in addition to changing all the character names, and promoting it with poster/cover art that featured three male characters who don't even appear in the film. This treatment is what drove Studio Ghibli to adopt an international licensing policy of no cuts, and no changing character names. Nowadays you seldom see character names changed in international/western releases and I sometimes wonder if it would be a lot more common if it hadn't been for Studio Ghibli taking a stand 30+ years ago.

This reminds me when I 1st saw an Arcade game back in the 80s called "Cliff Hanger". I was at a mall arcade in Colorado at the time and noticed "Lupin the 3rd" was in a videogame but no where on the arcade cabinet did it mention "Lupin the 3rd". They simply called the main character "Cliff". lol

ColourWheelMar 19, 2022 1:46 PM
Mar 19, 2022 1:51 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
I have watched the original Pokemon series before. But only a few episodes and not the entire series. So I didn't even bother to score it or add it to my own list. I think I can say the same for anyone else I grew up with that actively watched Anime too back then.

I know that, which is why I say the numbers are not a trustworthy indicator of popularity. What matters is what people talk about, and Ghibli fans still talk about Nausicaa. I never even heard of Akira until I started interacting with anime otaku.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 1:58 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:

I know that, which is why I say the numbers are not a trustworthy indicator of popularity. What matters is what people talk about, and Ghibli fans still talk about Nausicaa. I never even heard of Akira until I started interacting with anime otaku.

I don't want to argue with you about this but it's safe to assume that the OP's original premise is likely focusing on this community. Maybe you are right but even where I live if I was to ask someone at random if they have ever heard of "Akira" most would likely say yes even if they aren't active fans of Anime. If I was to ask them if they heard of Miyazaki's "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", they wouldn't even know what I was talking about today.
Mar 19, 2022 2:10 PM
May 2021
ColourWheel said:
Ultimately I think Every Anime Fan should watch "Robot Carnival" at least once in their life so they can understand the beauty of traditional anime at its best before studios stopped using Cels.

Robot Carnival is a musical masterpiece, with perfect animation to go alongside the visuals, the short stories and the theme of robots used. To this day, there's been nothing like it and remains one of my favorites, it just sucks that the video quality on "Uknow" sites is really low. I still wish I had the VHS copy.

Anyway, people should check out The Guyver and the manga is still ongoing, but MAL won't tell you that.

Just the OVA's from 1989-1991

It's your 1 man army versus a monster making corporation.

The 2005 TV series granted is the same, but the OVA's had art closer to the manga.

It's nothing special except that the it's better than the TV series which got only a small bit further than the OVA's.

Anyway, that's my annoying contribution.
SlimsithMar 19, 2022 2:24 PM
Mar 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
Akazukin Chacha. It's one of the best things ever, but most people in North America are unaware of its existence, as it was never released over here.

Lucifrost said:
The legal issues surrounding Candy Candy are disappointing. The only way to watch it anywhere is through piracy..

That's true. Candy Candy is another great anime that everyone should watch. I finally got around to watching it last month, and it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.

Mar 19, 2022 2:44 PM

Jan 2021
remiagined said:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

YES!!!!! This is the answer that I am going to say before opening the thread.

It has unique visuals, music, plot and character design. Just because it has a shoujo art design does not mean it is old-fashioned and is only for girls. Instead it has many groundbreaking elements and always inspires everyone to break through the barriers!
Mar 19, 2022 2:54 PM

May 2015
Galaxy Express 999 and Patalliro.

I would like it if westeners knew about it more.
My Candies:
Mar 19, 2022 3:06 PM

Sep 2019
I don't really care what others watch unless they want some specific recommendations from me.
Mar 19, 2022 3:37 PM

Jan 2022
oh the usual coming from me...

VOTOMS (including all spin offs or sequels)

Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star
[Series + all else within the I.P.]

Souten no ken / Fist of the Blue Sky
[Original & Regenesis 2 Season show]

GRENDIZER
JEEG ROBO
MAZINGER Z
GETTAR ROBO
GETTAR ROBO G
DAIMOS

Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crash
AD POLICE Files
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
Angel Cop
Ninja Scroll
Dagger of Kamui
YOMA: Curse of the Dead
AREA 88 (OVAs & Movie)
Dirty Pair (Original series, OVA & Movies)
Aura Battler DUNBINE
Crusher Joe
Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Arcadia of my Youth (Harlock movie)
Endless Orbit SSX (Harlock follow up to movie)
Galaxy Express 999 (Series & Movies)
SDF MACROSS
STAR BLAZERS (Space Battleship Yamato)
[3 Series, movies, etc.)

VENUS WARS
MEGAZONE 23
Space Adventure COBRA
Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
Mobile Suit GUNDAM
[All U.C. stories]

Urusei Yatusra
Ranma 1/2
Wicked City
Thunderbirds 2086
GOLGO 13 Movie
Sonic Soldier BORGMAN

...just off the top of my head.

Mar 19, 2022 3:41 PM

Mar 2021
Kodomo no Omocha is an actually good shoujo anime
Mar 19, 2022 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Lucifrost said:
almightybismarck said:
Might be fixed one day since a lot of licensor studios are eager to buy old works with recent popularity boom.

The manga and anime are both out of print due to a disagreement between the author and illustrator. Candy Candy used to be popular in a number of countries, but the creators will probably have to die before it can be licensed again.

Candy Candy surpasses even Utena in complexity

http://journal.bequi.com/2012/03/anohito-candy-candy-final-story.html?m=1
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime carried by Animation

ST63LTH - Yesterday

29 by AMBITZZ »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you actually care about Anime "Controversy"?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

24 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever cried in public while watching anime? ( 1 2 )

Mayahuel - Jun 23

53 by Spunkert »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Every Character You Have Masturbated To Becomes a Team That Has to Fight Goku, Will They Win?

APolygons2 - Jun 23

32 by ZakuF_ »»
57 minutes ago

» Which anime were actually better than their source material?

BadGuyBoog - Jun 24

18 by Cielord »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.