Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 15, 2016 1:40 AM

Mar 2014
It was OK

I liked the OP's visuals
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 15, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2011
I'll keep watching it since it's a sports anime, but other than it was really boring and the MC is annoying af to watch...
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 15, 2016 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
The first impression I got from this anime is really good! The animation and art is pretty, and it got this relaxing feeling. People are complaining so much about the pacing, but I didn't find any problem with it. It really fits the vibe, besides it's unique and refreshing. Not every anime has to be fast paced and filled with action to be satisfying,

MC is flawed as fuck, just as I love it. Looking forward to see the character development!
Jul 15, 2016 2:56 AM

Sep 2013
meh start,random main character,middle school baseball,11 episodes and random op/ed

And i thought this would be a new "Major" kek,i need to stop hyping everything,tired of being disappointed af...
Deep dark fantasies
Jul 15, 2016 2:57 AM

Jan 2013
A sports anime that doesn't scream gayyyyy right off the bat? Hehe.

I wasn't really going to pick up this anime but while I was thirsting for more series to follow this season I decided to check this one out. And it looks like a manageable watch.

I totally understand it being a bit different from the usual sports anime, with the 'slice of life' tag and all. But as a both 'sports' and 'slice of life' fan I think I can go with this.

Haha, so many people disliking MC based on the first episode? I think it's pretttttty obvious he's made to be annoying on purpose, I can already smell the character development.
Jul 15, 2016 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
That was a good start but in a different direction.

It lacks the classic energy and zeal that most Sports anime emanate from the very start, Instead the show starts out much more slowly, I can see why there's a Slice of Life tag now.

Takumi does come of as arrogant but I don't dislike him, His brother is cool and Go seems like a nice guy.
Interesting that the grandpa doesn't see the spark in Takumi's eyes.

While I do prefer the Zealous type of Sports shows, I'm liking this as well.
Will look forward to more.
Jul 15, 2016 3:29 AM

Jul 2015
Nice opening and ending. The dialogue felt kind of awkward at times and I'm not sold on the kid brothers voice.
Jul 15, 2016 3:44 AM

Nov 2012
Slow and kinda boring,surprisingly no gay undertones (as of yet),with only 10 episodes wondering what exactly this'll achieve in that time.
VanishingKiraJul 15, 2016 3:52 AM
Jul 15, 2016 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
VanishingKira said:
Slow and kinda boring,surprisingly no gay undertones (as of yet),with only 10 episodes wondering what exactly this'll achieve in that time.

It is most likely about the attitude and philosophy of the MC otherwise the show wouldn't make such a big deal of his difficult personality. The relationship with that catcher will provide space for both of their development. Probably won't be that much about baseball just like say K-on isn't that much about music.
Jul 15, 2016 5:43 AM

Dec 2008
alpha_shadow said:
Tien said:

This comment irks me. Why the fixation on the studio when the staff are equally important? Tomomi Mochizuki has been writing and directing stuff since the 80s, for example.

And why does it matter if this show is based on a novel? The Tatami Galaxy, Uchouten Kazoku, Seirei Moribito, 12 Kingdoms, Kemono no Souja Erin, and many other excellent anime were adaptations of novels.

Anyway, I enjoyed the premiere of Battery and can already see the director's style in it. I'm hoping the show will be more of a character drama like Ping Pong than a adrenaline-pumping show like Haikyuu, and fortunately it does look like it's going in the route of the former.

I really don't care if my post irks you tbh. I mentioned the studio aspect because the animation studio really does matter in the long run. Most sports anime are based off of manga and that really helps with the adaptation overall. Look at Haikyuu or Ping Pong the Animation for example, the matches from the anime are animated with breathtaking detail. Battery is based off a novel, which makes it a bit more awkward for the animation team, they don't have much to go off of, so they just have to do what they think is the best. I'm not against it being a novel adaptation, it's just that being a novel based sports anime makes things pretty shaky and wonky.

If anything, a novel adaptation provides an opportunity to be creative. IMO the first episode was different than any other baseball anime I've seen. Laid back, realistic, and the MC is completely unlikable! I'm bored of seeing the same sports anime tropes (specifically baseball) used over and over again - this anime is a nice change. I guess if you're up for the action-y type of sports anime I completely understand this anime is not for you. But to complain about a studio? Clearly you're one of the few who did not notice the beautiful art, music and thoughtful/intriguing moments carefully placed within this anime. This isn't about the studio, this is just about personal tastes....learn to know the difference please.
Jul 15, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2014
robbydesu said:
alpha_shadow said:

I really don't care if my post irks you tbh. I mentioned the studio aspect because the animation studio really does matter in the long run. Most sports anime are based off of manga and that really helps with the adaptation overall. Look at Haikyuu or Ping Pong the Animation for example, the matches from the anime are animated with breathtaking detail. Battery is based off a novel, which makes it a bit more awkward for the animation team, they don't have much to go off of, so they just have to do what they think is the best. I'm not against it being a novel adaptation, it's just that being a novel based sports anime makes things pretty shaky and wonky.

If anything, a novel adaptation provides an opportunity to be creative. IMO the first episode was different than any other baseball anime I've seen. Laid back, realistic, and the MC is completely unlikable! I'm bored of seeing the same sports anime tropes (specifically baseball) used over and over again - this anime is a nice change. I guess if you're up for the action-y type of sports anime I completely understand this anime is not for you. But to complain about a studio? Clearly you're one of the few who did not notice the beautiful art, music and thoughtful/intriguing moments carefully placed within this anime. This isn't about the studio, this is just about personal tastes....learn to know the difference please.

I definitely wasn't talking to you, so I don't care about your "advice". I thought the animation was choppy and very awkward in a lot of places and I don't recall any special moments, just some forced melodrama. And yes, I can complain about a studio, I don't see the problem, I wasn't saying that this studio is bad, just that they don't have that much experience. When I said the studio matters in the long run I was saying that in a general way, because you usually won't see a low-tier studio make anything breathtaking and unfortunately that's the case here (if it does happen, that's great, I'll get excited). Sure, staff matters, but the same goes for the core of the studio. Now I'll slowly move on and forget I posted in this thread.
:3
Jul 15, 2016 6:49 AM

Oct 2015
Pretty average episode. I loved the ED though.
3/5
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 15, 2016 7:06 AM

May 2010
i love it already. i've been hoping for something similar to Ookiku Furikabutte with realistic and relaxing baseball theme, this one even seems to be leaning more towards Slice of Life. All characters are nothing too exaggerating too, was kind of expecting this since it's a novel adaptation. Expecting Gou and Seiha to play big roles in gradually changing Takumi's attitude. He's a fine character (with obvious problems) right now. xD
Jul 15, 2016 7:39 AM

Oct 2015
thebrentinator24 said:
It was all right I guess. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this show just yet so we'll see in a few episodes.

It was okayish. Have to see where this show goes.
Al though I wonder how much of baseball they can fit in 11 episodes.

Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
Jul 15, 2016 8:27 AM

Feb 2016
Well, a sports novel is more character-oriented, so I'm not expecting any exciting matches.

Decent episode, nice atmosphere tho.
RyuugamonoJul 15, 2016 8:32 AM
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Jul 15, 2016 10:44 AM

Feb 2016
just dropping by to say this is not your usual sport animes. If you are expecting something like diamond no ace then it's better to not continue. The tag "DRAMA" is there for a reason. This is very slife of lifey
Dont expect breathtaking competition and stuff cuz the whole story will just cover mc's character development
Jul 15, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2012
I'm digging the slow but refreshing pace it's going at. The first episode ended at a weird spot tho. It feels like Oofuri but neither pitcher or catcher are like Mihashi...

OP /ED are both awesome.

jenkkk said:
just dropping by to say this is not your usual sport animes. If you are expecting something like diamond no ace then it's better to not continue. The tag "DRAMA" is there for a reason. This is very slife of lifey
Dont expect breathtaking competition and stuff cuz the whole story will just cover mc's character development
So, its like Oofuri or Cross Game?
Jul 15, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2016
This was a totally natural first episode, not boring at all just the best it could be. Can't wait for episode 2 to see how it goes.
My latest Hajime no Ippo AMV:
Jul 15, 2016 11:48 AM

Feb 2016
Mayuka said:

jenkkk said:

I'm no anime expert, what's an oofuwhatever?
Jul 15, 2016 11:55 AM

Mar 2015
The MC is an annoying little shit. Go is decent bro-material.

So far I like the Grandpa and the little trap shota brother the best.
Jul 15, 2016 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
jenkkk said:
Mayuka said:

Ookiku Furikabutte, a baseball Anime

Its slow paced, built solely around character development and very dramatic
Jul 15, 2016 12:52 PM

Jul 2014
Already love that the MC is actually a cocky and talented pitcher. My big question is will Battery manage to have more Asics product placement than DnA had with Mizuno?
ibearJul 15, 2016 1:00 PM
Jul 15, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2016
I really loved the OP/ED. But it had somewhat of a slow start - nothing special. Hoping for a better episode 2.
AnimeSlayer66Jul 15, 2016 1:01 PM
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 15, 2016 1:02 PM

Feb 2016
Mayuka said:
jenkkk said:

Ookiku Furikabutte, a baseball Anime

Its slow paced, built solely around character development and very dramatic

I see, it's probably similar then (at least that's what the movie adaption of this show showed)
Jul 15, 2016 1:12 PM

Aug 2013
Beautiful art, really really beautiful. I'm impressed, everything looks just perfect.
Good start. I'm other interested in baseball at all, but I want more,so it means that direction is great.
But I'm the only one who thinks that voice is not fitting Seiha at all?
rsc-plJul 15, 2016 1:26 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 15, 2016 2:08 PM

Aug 2015
This felt so relaxing. Loved it to be honest.
Jul 15, 2016 2:13 PM

Jul 2011
Looks great. But aren't our protagonists about to enter junior high? They look like high schoolers!
Mc is super arrogant, in an annoyingly realistic way... (And that superiority/inferiority complex, lol.)

Also, note that it's a novel adaptation so obviously this is going to be more of a SoL/drama than a shounen sports. Baseball is probably more a medium/setting for everything.
Jul 15, 2016 2:42 PM
Dec 2014
I thought Amazon prime was streaming this since they have a deal with noitamina? I can't find any legal streams help is appreciated thanks
Jul 15, 2016 3:09 PM

Nov 2015
The character designs look great and the artstyle does too, but I have to say that this episode didn't really have much going for it. I was expecting some extremely badass baseball like Ace of Diamond, but this in comparison was pretty boring.

I'm not going to drop it, but I hope the pace gets moving soon.
Jul 15, 2016 3:57 PM

Jul 2015
I liked it so far. It's really chill and easy-going. Can't wait to see MC's development.
Jul 15, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 2009
Seiha is the best. I hope he's just frail and doesn't actually have a disease or something. He's so cute.
Jul 15, 2016 5:20 PM
Sep 2009
Can't say I'm massive fan of MC, too arrogant to my taste but I'll keep watching.
Jul 15, 2016 7:55 PM

May 2015
Awesome, another baseball anime. I'm a huge sucker for anything baseball. I like it so far. Go and Seiha are likable characters, I hope Takumi learns something from them. He is a bit too cocky. Takumi's grandfather is right, you'll throw your arm out if you can't throw properly in a fast speed.
Jul 15, 2016 8:08 PM

Oct 2008
Baseball Bromance incoming!
5/5.

Jul 15, 2016 8:37 PM

Nov 2007
I saw the movie years ago and i luckily don't remember much from the plot (i remember one major plot thing that happens though,oh well), so i can still enjoy the anime properly.
But i remember i liked it.

I also quite liked this. The slice of life thing is not bad^^ I also love Shimura Takako's art so that's another plus.
Jul 16, 2016 12:39 AM

Apr 2013
mmm, a bit underwhelming and I already hate the mc but I'll continue
Jul 16, 2016 2:38 AM

Jun 2011
So what do we have here... A main character with an overall flawed personality. To be frank, I'm liking Takumi's characterisation. He's this self-obsessed, arrogant, and a somewhat uptight and reserved guy, who has a high opinion of himself and his abilities. He tends to underestimate those around him and his inflated ego is rather quick to take offence at any and all hints of criticism, even if they're intended as stray banter. He's not all-talk-and-no-show though since he does exhibit quite a bit of flair, is serious enough about his baseball and seems to be willing to go all-out to excel at the sport, but he apparently lacks something at this point that holds him back by a few notches from being a full-fledged sportsman.

I say, there's a whole lot of scope for character development here, if the show plays its cards right. It's refreshing actually to have a main character who's so humanly flawed at the outset. This particular scene was the point when this character truly piqued my interest. That one line of dialogue attributed to him in that particular situation speaks a lot about him.

Then we have Go who's apparently gonna serve as a nice foil to Takumi. Initially, I kinda assumed he'd go on to take on the role of a doormat, who'd take any shit from Takumi with a smile on his face without any or much regard for his self-esteem, but my assumptions eventually came crumbling down as further interactions between the two followed. While he does acknowledge that Takumi is a cut above the rest, he doesn't bow down to him on that account. What's better, he's got the spunk to stand up to Takumi. Way to go!

It'd be interesting to see the dynamics between these two characters. I could help some nice chemistry and character-drama as it's been a while since Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu graced our screens. Speaking of which, the duo that we have here somewhat reminds me of the duo in Rakugo, not much in terms of similarities in their respective personalities but for the fact that each of the two individuals in both the series has a distinct personality that complements the other's.

So yeah, I'll be following this show since I'm curious to see how it pans out from here, particularly in the characterisation department. I'm not big on the sports genre and have watched only a couple of sports anime in their entirety. But going by the first episode and the claims of those who're familiar with the source material, I think it's safe to assume that this show is not gonna be your standard sports fare, which is a pretty good reason in itself for me to stick with it.

My only gripe so far is the discrepancy between the established age of the characters and their appearance, but eh, I guess I can overlook that.

Oh, and the OP and ED sequences are eye-soothingly beautiful. I wouldn't mind if the entire show is rendered in that watercolour-esque art style.
Jul 16, 2016 8:00 AM

Dec 2009
This episode had a good start. Also, liked the art style too.
Jul 16, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2007
I don't quite see why the rating for this anime is so low. I mean, it's lower than both Cheer Danshi and Days. Battery has a rather slow start, but I think it's fitting and setting up the charactrs quite good. The MC is very flawed, but his future friendship with the catcher will straighten that out. Also, there seems to be a conflict with the MC's relationship towards his parents, because of his sickly younger brother that needs to be solved.
Jul 16, 2016 9:35 AM

Dec 2012
Battery looks promising. The opening is beautiful and calm which corresponds well to the pacing of the anime. The MC is very pretentious, but it don't mind me. I think, it's original for a sport anime.
Jul 16, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2016
Great first episode 4/5
Jul 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Dec 2014
an averagesports anime so far
Jul 16, 2016 2:45 PM

May 2015
I thought it was a good first episode...

I will keep watching this. Hopefully being only 11 episodes won’t hurt it.

Also, the OP and ED are my favorite of this season.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 16, 2016 8:03 PM
Aug 2011
The pace was a little slow, but the atmosphere and the characters were really good looking forward for more.
I didn't read the synopsis beforehand so for some momments I thought his little brother wouuld grow up and it was going to start some kind of overcoming the genius older brother history haha

Also, happy with the curve ball history, for people who saw Major know what happens if you try too hard and throw balls your body can't stand D:
Jul 16, 2016 10:28 PM

Aug 2015
Ive got a question. Is Amazon Prime the Only site licensed to stream this one?
Jul 17, 2016 4:27 AM

Jun 2016
loving the op and ed animation and songs! and i much prefer his little brother..mc is an ass right now
Jul 17, 2016 5:36 AM

May 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
That was a good start but in a different direction.

It lacks the classic energy and zeal that most Sports anime emanate from the very start, Instead the show starts out much more slowly, I can see why there's a Slice of Life tag now.

Takumi does come of as arrogant but I don't dislike him, His brother is cool and Go seems like a nice guy.
Interesting that the grandpa doesn't see the spark in Takumi's eyes.

While I do prefer the Zealous type of Sports shows, I'm liking this as well.
Will look forward to more.

Thank you for expressing my exact thoughts :))

P.S. As soon as I heard Tsukki's melancholic voice (now Harada's of course), I looked at the other actors and found more of Haikyuu!! - Yamaguchi, Kags, Hinata and Bokuto. That is such a feast.
ishnessJul 17, 2016 7:31 AM
Jul 17, 2016 12:08 PM
Feb 2015
Loved the OP and ED visuals!!
I like my sports anime, so this seems promising:)
Jul 17, 2016 5:33 PM
Sep 2014
Ah this was so chill

I really enjoyed watching this

Just a chill realistic vibe I got

Will continue to watch for sure
Jul 18, 2016 5:05 AM
Mar 2016
I liked the first episode, I think it introduced all the characters well. for some reason I thought this was going to be a movie, so I was kind of disappointed when it was only 22 minutes, but other than that I was looking forward to this for a while, and it didn't disappoint.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Battery Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2016

39 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 6:11 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2016

53 by baahsu »»
Dec 27, 2022 5:36 AM

Poll: » Battery Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2016

81 by baahsu »»
Dec 26, 2022 5:31 PM

Poll: » Battery Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

90 by Xie_lim15 »»
Mar 5, 2022 7:02 AM

» How does the novel end? [spoilers]

Segaco - Jan 4, 2021

1 by jjashael »»
Feb 28, 2021 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.