Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jul 4, 2021 4:34 AM
Oct 2020
The strongest episode 1 so far this season. Momotaro river side first episode is kinda ok too.

Also OP is fire.
Jul 4, 2021 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
Good story so far but the names ... well the writer should have learned the language he uses before. Book of Vanities ... interesting name... But florifel I doubt it means what he says flori means flowers not sure what fel is supposed to mean . anyway nice start
Jul 4, 2021 5:30 AM
Jul 2021
nightcrawlercyp said:
Good story so far but the names ... well the writer should have learned the language he uses before. Book of Vanities ... interesting name... But florifel I doubt it means what he says flori means flowers not sure what fel is supposed to mean . anyway nice start
I think it comes from "florifère"
Jul 4, 2021 6:29 AM

Aug 2012
Jainazhu said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
As in floriferous? Still a long way from that to what they said it means
Jul 4, 2021 6:38 AM

Sep 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:

I'm just going to point out that the author makes use of Latin names as well (like Vanitas, most likely derived from a Latin noun), and I am pretty sure Florifel is Latin in origin.
Jul 4, 2021 6:42 AM
Nov 2019
Clas1ck said:
Keyaru6 said:

do you REALLY like this humor????

Do you really like Redo of Healer???!!! 😂

yes and i can proudly say it's a decillion times better than this.
Jul 4, 2021 7:01 AM

Aug 2012
Cathen99 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

I'm just going to point out that the author makes use of Latin names as well (like Vanitas, most likely derived from a Latin noun), and I am pretty sure Florifel is Latin in origin.

Just because he uses Latin words does not mean he understands latin. My native language is close to popular latin (the one spoken by regular people - latin vulgata) and the whole point was about what it means in Latin. From 'floriferous' to 'she that follows spring' long way. Flos-floris means flower and feris mean about or related to. So yea Florifer does not mean what he says.
I think it has to do with japanesse being an un-evolved language. If they would just give up kanji in day to day life they could make their language clearer the writing easier and so on. And no I do not want to have them write with latin letters , Hiranga or Katanga are ok, just stop using kanji.
nightcrawlercypJul 4, 2021 7:12 AM
Jul 4, 2021 8:02 AM

Sep 2015
nightcrawlercyp said:
Cathen99 said:

Just because he uses Latin words does not mean he understands latin. My native language is close to popular latin (the one spoken by regular people - latin vulgata) and the whole point was about what it means in Latin. From 'floriferous' to 'she that follows spring' long way. Flos-floris means flower and feris mean about or related to. So yea Florifer does not mean what he says.
I think it has to do with japanesse being an un-evolved language. If they would just give up kanji in day to day life they could make their language clearer the writing easier and so on. And no I do not want to have them write with latin letters , Hiranga or Katanga are ok, just stop using kanji.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to point out that it could very well be Latin in origin, since you never specifically mentioned Latin, and so I assumed you were talking about the French names. I agree with the literal meaning being a bit iffy, but at the same time names can have several meanings. Basically just wanted to throw in my two cents!

I have next to no knowledge about how exactly the Japanese writing systems work, so I can't say anything about that.
Jul 4, 2021 8:05 AM

Jan 2021
hmmmm, looks good actually... Will keep continuing to see how it plays
Jul 4, 2021 9:33 AM

Aug 2012
Cathen99 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start an argument. I just wanted to point out that it could very well be Latin in origin, since you never specifically mentioned Latin, and so I assumed you were talking about the French names. I agree with the literal meaning being a bit iffy, but at the same time names can have several meanings. Basically just wanted to throw in my two cents!

I have next to no knowledge about how exactly the Japanese writing systems work, so I can't say anything about that.
Well French is latin based and I tried to find other meanings in french scottish/irisg galish and other languages. But every one that can translate this translates to the same thing.
The point I was making about japanesse and generally all languages that borrow heavily from chinesse is that they are mostly stuck on ideogram level. So instead of building a word from sounds or sylabus they build out of ideograms. So everything ends up to be a series of ideograms that convey the word as a sentence. Is an extremely indirect way of doing things and ineffective. Even in korean who now uses an alphabet they still do this. What do I mean... well generally adding letters to a word will not change significantly its sense or adding words to a sentence. Is like in this joke: https://youtu.be/CZYI5ujAU1A?t=149 . The fact they stuck with this ancient ideogram system messed their communication a lot in time. Because once you move to sounds you feel the need to fix those issue. And the sooner you do this the easier it is.
Jul 4, 2021 2:02 PM
Nov 2011
As a manga lover, I’m not a big fan of animes. I like to set my own pace reading, be it faster or slower than the usual 23 minutes-long episodes of most animes.
That being said, I’m probably too picky. I’m giving this one a try since I LOVE MochiJun and I love VNC, but I liked the first chapter so much more than this first episode.
The OP adds nothing to the plot. I expected something totally different, with darker visuals and music. Instead, it appears to be a goofy fujoshi bait.
I think it lacks transition between scenes sometimes and I’m personally not a fan of so much comedy in between. I know it’s there in the manga, but I guess it feels different in an animation lol Not a flaw, just personal taste.
Not sure if Vanitas’ VA really fits the character either imo.

Anyway, the animation itself is pretty good and I love how they worked out the scenery and background. Jun’s work is so carefully detailed that I was scared they’d mess it up, but they nailed it.

Again, I’m probably too picky. lol And maybe a bit unsure of how this is gonna turn out after Pandora Hearts, although they probably don’t share the same studio (I know nothing regarding anime studios). I hope it gets better as the story progresses and I’ll keep watching bc I love this story.
Jul 4, 2021 3:21 PM

Aug 2017
I am a bit late into the discussion (and I will not read four* pages) but I have a few things to say:

I din't like how the managed the exposition very much. I think I expecetd a different tone from a series focuesd on Vampires, and I was a bit pulled away when I heard Iida Tenya from BHA delivering the introduction.

The fight was somewhat cool, but the female vampire stood there doing nothing while Vanitas was explaining the power of his book, which I think was a bit clunky.

I will try to watch the following episodes earlier so I can post my thoughts more quickly.

* Or six...
Jul 4, 2021 4:16 PM

Aug 2017
The comedy is terrible but its was a good start. I think the anime already spoiled the ending?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 4, 2021 9:21 PM

Jun 2013
Really enjoyed this! This has a lot of potential.
Jul 4, 2021 9:23 PM

Jul 2016
Great start for the anime nice setting and the character designs are good too. The pacing is bit weird and the comedy seems off . But overall the mystery feel to it is good .

The background is amazing and animation too

Jul 4, 2021 10:15 PM

Mar 2020
ZenielDanaku said:
I am a bit late into the discussion (and I will not read four* pages) but I have a few things to say:

I din't like how the managed the exposition very much. I think I expecetd a different tone from a series focuesd on Vampires, and I was a bit pulled away when I heard Iida Tenya from BHA delivering the introduction.

The fight was somewhat cool, but the female vampire stood there doing nothing while Vanitas was explaining the power of his book, which I think was a bit clunky.

I will try to watch the following episodes earlier so I can post my thoughts more quickly.

* Or six...
The female vampire was in a pain and was already stopped by the book, then when she tried to attack again the mc s aquantince stopped her with a gun.. soo
Jul 4, 2021 10:42 PM
Jun 2021
This shows gonna be ⛽️ if it stays this good😜
Jul 4, 2021 10:48 PM

Nov 2015
Varris said:
Kazzann said:
Oh god the comedy…what is with female mangaka and god awful Chibi comedy?
That was 95% the studio unfortunately, the director did Noragami too I believe

The director has nothing to do with noragami. He mostly worked on the monogatari series (vampire adaption with Akiyuki Shinbo) and worked at shaft before going freelance
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 4, 2021 11:00 PM

Mar 2020
Lary-sama said:
As a manga lover, I’m not a big fan of animes. I like to set my own pace reading, be it faster or slower than the usual 23 minutes-long episodes of most animes.
That being said, I’m probably too picky. I’m giving this one a try since I LOVE MochiJun and I love VNC, but I liked the first chapter so much more than this first episode.
The OP adds nothing to the plot. I expected something totally different, with darker visuals and music. Instead, it appears to be a goofy fujoshi bait.
I think it lacks transition between scenes sometimes and I’m personally not a fan of so much comedy in between. I know it’s there in the manga, but I guess it feels different in an animation lol Not a flaw, just personal taste.
Not sure if Vanitas’ VA really fits the character either imo.

Anyway, the animation itself is pretty good and I love how they worked out the scenery and background. Jun’s work is so carefully detailed that I was scared they’d mess it up, but they nailed it.

Again, I’m probably too picky. lol And maybe a bit unsure of how this is gonna turn out after Pandora Hearts, although they probably don’t share the same studio (I know nothing regarding anime studios). I hope it gets better as the story progresses and I’ll keep watching bc I love this story.
You really are nitpicky i guess. But I do assure u that the staf working behind it is pretty high quality and maybe you enjoyed the first chapter more then the episode because you didnt knew the story but in animation you did? SO considering that it makes sense. Also The piano scene is going to be animated in the second cour so i would urge u to stay on board till then(Considering yuki kaijura muisc will shine there). And if it sounds offensive then i apologize
Jul 5, 2021 3:57 AM

Apr 2021
The first episode was quite an amazing and action-packed one. There were so many revelations in this episode, honestly. We saw how Noe, one of our main characters, was onboard an airship with the goal of finding the Book of Vanitas. As he assisted a weak and suspicious-looking woman (basically a fellow passenger onboard lol), he discusses that goal with her and a few moments later, a mysterious person wreaks havoc and tries to attack the woman, in which of course, our dear Noe comes and defends her. After a few scenes between the two, it is revealed that the woman was actually a vampire, and, through pure bloodlust (literally lmao), bites Noe on his shoulder.

This episode also revealed that Noe is also a vampire, and to shorten this up, the mysterious person shows up once again and somehow 'cures' the woman using the Book of Vanitas, which Noe immediately recognized. After a comedic incident, the mysterious person falls off of the airship and of course, Noe jumps and attempts to save him (what a personality he has, honestly.). Once they both reach the ground, the two formally introduce themselves. The mysterious person introduced himself as Vanitas, a doctor of vampires ( it seems that he somehow just claimed that identity). Using the Book of Vanitas, he vowed to save and help the vampires thrive in this world.

In the ending, we were left with a monologue by Noe about how he met Vanitas, took the same path as his, and how in the end, he slayed him with his own hands. That part of the monologue made me intrigued about the events that will unfold on the following episodes.

This was a good episode so far, and props to Bones for the nice and smooth animation in those fighting scenes. The comedic and serious parts reminded me of those from Bungou Stray Dogs (which was animated by the same studio). Anyways, I wonder how Vanitas will progress with his goal and how Noe will have to deal with his shenanigans. I'm looking forward to the next episode!
AkiyafuruJul 5, 2021 4:26 AM

𝓗𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓲𝓼 𝓮𝓶𝓹𝓽𝔂, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓵𝓼 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮.

Jul 5, 2021 5:17 AM
May 2016
That one episode was better than a whole season of Mars Red.
Jul 5, 2021 2:03 PM
Mar 2020
that strobe flicker seemed ill advised and comedic timing is ... odd.
Otherwise the first episode didnt Make me feel anything
Jul 5, 2021 4:00 PM
Jul 2021
nightcrawlercyp said:
Jainazhu said:
Yes as in "abundantly flowering" i think that's what they mean by the one whom guides the spring.
Jul 5, 2021 9:55 PM

Aug 2020
Good first episode. The setting looks fresh and characters got that DRIP. But the chibi comedy is kinda off.
This is not gay in any way. Don't miss out on this anime due to some fujoshis claiming it to be gay ffs.
mr_modestJul 5, 2021 10:02 PM
Jul 5, 2021 10:09 PM

Jun 2021
mr_modest said:
Good first episode. The setting looks fresh and characters got that DRIP. But the chibi comedy is kinda off.
This is not gay in any way. Don't miss out on this anime due to some fujoshis claiming it to be gay ffs.
it really sucks that Fujoshi messed up this anime, I don't hate them but they make people think this anime is Yaoi bait eventhough it's clear that both MCs have a legit Female interest, it makes people hesitate to watch the anime, some fujoshi's are they act as if all their ships are canon and attack people who disagree.
Jul 5, 2021 10:14 PM

Aug 2020
Lguanlin92 said:
mr_modest said:
it really sucks that Fujoshi messed up this anime, I don't hate them but they make people think this anime is Yaoi bait eventhough it's clear that both MCs have a legit Female interest, it makes people hesitate to watch the anime, some fujoshi's are they act as if all their ships are canon and attack people who disagree.
Well, some are like that. This show has a lot of potential to be a great vampire anime.
Jul 6, 2021 12:12 AM

Oct 2020
Lguanlin92 said:
mr_modest said:
Seraph of the End is the most suitable anime to define Fujoshi are act as if all their ships are canon and attack people who disagree. for example Mika x Yuu shipers they act as if Mikayuu is canon and have romantic feelings for each other, eventhough they are just brothers in arms who care about each other.
Nobara98Jul 6, 2021 12:18 AM
Jul 6, 2021 1:10 AM

Jun 2021
Nobara98 said:
Lguanlin92 said:
Seraph of the End is the most suitable anime to define Fujoshi are act as if all their ships are canon and attack people who disagree. for example Mika x Yuu shipers they act as if Mikayuu is canon and have romantic feelings for each other, eventhough they are just brothers in arms who care about each other.
Exactly, Mikayuu shipers are very toxic, I once told them it's impossible for Mikayuu to become a canon and most likely it's more to YuuNoa, because they Mika and Yuu are brothers even though they're not blood related and they only care about each other because they're brothers, but they attack me instead with absurd reasons and accuse me of homophobia. they are the most annoying and delusional Fujo shipers.
Jul 6, 2021 3:23 AM

Aug 2012
Jainazhu said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Yes as in "abundantly flowering" i think that's what they mean by the one whom guides the spring.
Ok still is a long way to go. Also floriferous does not mean abundantly flowering rather about flowers
Jul 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Jul 2013
I love everything about this first episode, including the chibi comedy. The story of the blue moon vampire vs. crimson moon vampires is interesting, Noé and Vanitas are so handsome, I even like the cat Murr (Heterochromia ftw).
Jul 6, 2021 10:37 AM

Oct 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Jainazhu said:
Ok still is a long way to go. Also floriferous does not mean abundantly flowering rather about flowers

Dunno my European languages so this is just from a bit of googling and conjecture with manga knowledge. With minimal spoilers, vampiric "true names" throughout this series all seem to be based loosely in latin, and the descriptions that follow rarely correspond literally to the word itself. Thus I assume in Amelia's case "she who guides spring" is more of an epithet than a direct interpretation of her name. Moreover, the most plausible translation of her name I could come up with is the latin word "Florifer" which could mean "flower-bearing", taking into consideration that Japanese phonetics typically do not distinguish the "r" sound from the "l".
Germs_N_SpicesJul 6, 2021 10:40 AM
Jul 6, 2021 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly loved this episode, what was a surprise for me is that Vanitas is actually human! I read the manga after watching the 1st episode and the wording is almost 100% word for word! Only slight wording changes that don't really matter at all. I plan to be reading the rest of the manga as each new episode comes out. 10/10
Jul 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Jun 2021
How come people can conclude it was BL bait from Op & Ed?? this doesn't make sense, as a Manga reader I beg the anime only keep watching and don't get misunderstand about it, this is not BL bait/Yuri bait like you thought, it's more like Fujo bait/Himejoshi bait, there is a straight romance in it. and for the Fujoshi and Himejoshi, don't make the stiring up by spreading Manga scenes in threads that raise about BL bait that are not Yaoi/Yuri at all, but you make it look like it's Yaoi/Yuri. let the anime only enjoy the show and let them decide for themselves, because it will only make people who hate Yaoi/Yuri not want to watch the show anymore.
Jul 7, 2021 7:18 AM

Aug 2017
234Mannan said:
The female vampire was in a pain and was already stopped by the book, then when she tried to attack again the mc s aquantince stopped her with a gun.. soo

Good point. I shoud have rewatched the episode before comenting.
Jul 7, 2021 1:23 PM

Dec 2012
I'm not as enthusiastic as most are in this thread. But I'll take what I can get this season, it looks alright so far.
Jul 7, 2021 5:27 PM

Apr 2018
Very interesting plot so far and I really liked what was going on in the first episode with the book of vanitas. The book of vanitas seems really interesting and I wonder how Vanitas will save all the vampires from extinction. Thoroughly enjoyed it and ill stick to watch how this story unfolds.
Jul 7, 2021 6:07 PM
Jan 2021
I really liked it though I thought it took itself too lightly and had a lot of reaction faces that were very goofy. I wish it took a darker tone throughout the whole episode and not just that one line at the end.
Jul 8, 2021 6:52 AM
Mar 2012
beautiful airship & scenery, fate styled music. Vanitas too shafty but ok.
Looks promising, but the episodic mission, lite sol, vampire vibes is iffy combo.
Jul 8, 2021 10:45 AM

Dec 2016
That was such an interesting start. The character designs are beautiful. Can't wait to see how the two MCs develop.

But one thing that's been bothering me is why do they pronounce Vampire as Vampir?

Loved both the OP and ED, visually and the song too.
Jul 8, 2021 10:58 AM

Oct 2016
Rickydory123 said:
But one thing that's been bothering me is why do they pronounce Vampire as Vampir?

Closer to the French pronunciation
Jul 8, 2021 11:02 AM

Mar 2021
Loved both the OP and ED, visually and the song too.[/quote]
Rickydory123 said:
That was such an interesting start. The character designs are beautiful. Can't wait to see how the two MCs develop.

Loved both the OP and ED, visually and the song too.

french pronounce

Jul 8, 2021 12:10 PM

Aug 2018
gophercg said:
beautiful airship & scenery, fate styled music. Vanitas too shafty but ok.
Looks promising, but the episodic mission, lite sol, vampire vibes is iffy combo.

It is not episodic and it’s not SOL at all lol the OP is misleading.
Jul 8, 2021 7:57 PM
Dec 2020
Wow What an an amazing episode. This gonna be one of the best shows of summer. Vanitas and Noe they finna be a badass duo I could tell already. I love vanitas his character he’s strong and serious with that baddass grimoire and then clumsy and funny. One thing I’m worried about is their journey when Noe said about how he had to kill vanitas I was in shock. That would make me sad asf. See y’all at next episode.😂🔥❤️👍🏻.
Jul 8, 2021 9:31 PM
Jun 2021
I didn't pick up the manga until the first episode sold me the story, the soft lore behind the anime is gonna be amazing, I highly recommend it
Jul 9, 2021 1:27 AM

Jul 2020
What a fun start. Not yet completely sold but I enjoyed this first episode, nonetheless.

I accept random friend requests!
Jul 9, 2021 4:21 PM

Oct 2019
Quite an exciting first episode. I loved the steampunk art. My only question is whether it was wise for Noé to basically spoil the story's ending (if that's the ending) at the end of the episode. I realize there must be some narrative sense in this; for instance with every episode we (non source material readers) will keep on wondering how Noé will end up "slaying" Vanitas and why. Is it to take the book from him and use it for his own purposes? Is it because Vanitas turns evil and Noé kills him to stop him? Is it because Noé turns evil? Is it due to an accident? etc etc

Nevertheless, this disclosure felt like one of these rare detective stories where the serial killer is disclosed (to the audience only) from the very first episode and so the focus of the story turns from a combined "whodunit" and "how are they going to catch him/her" to purely the latter. The kind of stories where the audience knows who the killer is from the start and each time the lead detective fails to realize it we wonder "how on Earth did they miss this hint or that clue".

These rare detective / serial killer stories can work but they need to be written even better than conventional "whodunit" ones in order to maintain tension and suspense. If I recall correctly The Fall ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294189 ) "spoiled" who the killer was from the very first episode though it ran for 3 seasons. It was a brilliant (live action) show but it's the only serial killer / detective / homicide show in general I can currently recall that did that. So I wonder how Vanitas will fare after taking into account my (very loose) analogy..

edit: Not just The Fall. Monster (the anime) also disclosed who the killer was from the first few episodes (it must have been in episode 2 or 3 tops I think). This was a case where the only ones who knew who the killer was were the audience and the main lead Kenzo Tenma.
SharpedonJul 9, 2021 4:38 PM
Jul 10, 2021 3:11 PM
May 2010
Love it! interesting take of the usual vampire stuff, good dose of comedy too not to sure
about the characters yet but looking forward to seeing more of them.
OP is so stylish, animation is pretty good too.
Jul 10, 2021 4:51 PM
Aug 2015
am i the only one who is disturbed by the way they pronounce "vampire" like vamp-ear and not vamp-i-er?
Jul 10, 2021 4:59 PM

Jul 2014
MrCatIsGod said:
am i the only one who is disturbed by the way they pronounce "vampire" like vamp-ear and not vamp-i-er?

That's the French word for vampire.
Jul 11, 2021 8:14 AM

Jan 2021
OHHH THIS IS SO COOL!! I'm not a manga reader but everything in it looks cool to me. The art style, animation, OP & ED... every scenes and second of it.

I really like it when Vanitas appears through the window, he's so cool T-T♡ I like Noe's character but Vanitas's character really stands out.

Whoever reads the manga and reads this, please give me a spoiler, is the real Vanitas (the vampire one) still alive? thanks ~

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Dubbed versions

Vanitas_BMkin - Jun 4

2 by Reevansingh21 »»
Jun 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.