Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Say I Love You.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 16, 2012 8:48 AM
Sep 2012
I really like the art and looks extremely simular to Kimi ni Todoke (which I adore) but this relationship and portrayal of characters are kinda putting me off.

Yamoto especially, his damn hair reminds me of Skrillex. Jokes aside, he's attitude almost appears arrogant and that's what I'm receiving. He's the most popular male and a playboy and he knows it - though the story tries to depict that he isn't up himself and that he's a sweet guy underneath. No guy is actually like that, of course there are genuine nice things guys do but by his actions he does it looks egotistic and almost sinister.

The general vibe I'm getting is he's not actually in love, but looks like he's curious that there isn't a girl he hasn't swept off her feet. So give out a few inappropriate spontaneous kisses (and get away with it) and just lead her on. I have beef with ep 1 and the first kiss, who the f*ck does that? Be a man and protect and scare away the predator.

I know the story will be how he'll break the 'norm' and be with Mei because he really loves her but that's how I see Yamato atm.
Oct 16, 2012 9:28 AM

Oct 2012
This anime is crazy good... definitely in my top 10 league!!!

Mei is cute, the story is awesome, art style is great...

Oct 16, 2012 9:50 AM

Dec 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
akutasame94 said:
Just to let you know, Sukitte and some events, main character are all based on real life experiences of writer :D Mei is the copy of herself when she was young, that skirt pulling really happened to her. I am not sure if the most handsome guy fell for her, but this also some kind of biography. And again, I don't dare to spoil you people, you will hate me forever xD Just wait and see how it develops. Amounts of wrong guesses here are amazing xD

She could just make up something and said that it based on a true story(of herself)
Something like this, for example(read the comments below):

By all means, they're just ways to sell products lol ...

Could be, but then all of those movies and tv shows and manga who are based on true stories might not be...

I choose to believe author...
Oct 16, 2012 10:20 AM
Jun 2010
If they are base on the writer's experience, chances are, their experience only makes up a fraction of the story. The other fraction of the story is probably mix together with their own fantasy / friction / etc. to make up an entertaining story for the audiences to read.

Unless it's a diary, the story themselves will never be made up of 100% of the author's experience. But that doesn't mean that it is a lie that the story is base of some part of their real life experience.
Oct 16, 2012 10:48 AM

Mar 2010
I thought I would like this anime.. but after really watching the first 2 eps.. Well, it bothers me quite a bit. It seems like -everyone- of the dang characters are shallow idiots. Except for maybe Mei. I'm in my late 20's and to me a kiss.. is not "just a kiss". So that bugged me a bit also.
Now I remember why I hated popular people in HS xD
Oct 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Oct 2012
The kisses, omg! *0*
The episode was great :)
Oct 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Jan 2012
Wow, I'm glad it's progressing this fast, most shoujos tend to drag on.
Also, the kiss tasted like chicken? lol
Oct 16, 2012 2:31 PM

Jul 2011
Does Yamato make anyone else feel uncomfortable? Something seems.. off.
Oct 16, 2012 2:55 PM

Jun 2008
iLostReason said:
Cratex said:
First, I and I may be wrong, but I believe those two have been dating for some time, years at least. so, it's hardly a case of her "go to sleep or kiss with whoever looks good for them". We don't know very much about her, but I did not get the impression she wanted to use him. Rather, I got the impression she was becoming jealous because she was supposed to be his girlfriend yet she was hearing things about him and was pressuring him to make a choice between her and other girls.

Second, to your later point, you are very correct, there are a lot of people around here who have different opinions on what is acceptable behavior for teens. Some such as yourself may be fairly strict, others of us are not. Can you just accept that some of us view the situation differently?

Indeed, we don't know much about her, but well, then i guess i should have said that my ''first impression of her is very bad''.Jealousy is jealosy, but...the thing is that they are dating for a long time if i remember correctly, and they have never kissed.Which is already weird, because if you really date someone and love this person, you would definitely want to at least kiss each other before some random girls/guy do it.Second, which got me really confused...why Kurosawa is kissing so many girls anyway, (if rumour is true, and it seems so) when he have girlfriend.Why she didnt say something before? and here another thing comes to my mind.They just don't love each other...at least thats what i think for now.I don't know how about Kurosawa, but Airi seems like trying to ''defend'' her handsome boyfriend only when something serious happens.I still don't know whats her idea, and what shes up to, but for this moment i dont think shes a good character that wants to date with Kurosawa because of love.He seems weird too, i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Uhm, if you're talking about Yamato and Arai, I don't recall them dating :S

akutasame94 said:
Just to let you know, Sukitte and some events, main character are all based on real life experiences of writer :D Mei is the copy of herself when she was young, that skirt pulling really happened to her. I am not sure if the most handsome guy fell for her, but this also some kind of biography. And again, I don't dare to spoil you people, you will hate me forever xD Just wait and see how it develops. Amounts of wrong guesses here are amazing xD

I remember at the end of the... first volume or so, the author said she had similar experiences to Mei regarding the bullying, but was there really more to it? If so, can you link to a site or something? :O
Oct 16, 2012 6:18 PM
Sep 2012
Omni-Bot said:
Honestly, I hate Kurosawa with a passion after this episode.

First of all, I need to state that Mei is exactly like I was at that age. I don't just mean similar, I mean to-a-tee-carbon-copy-clone the same. I had a similar home life. I was also betrayed by people I trusted at a young age and developed the exact same outlook on friendship. Like her, I understood people quite well despite my social ineptitude because I could look at them without any emotional attachment and analyze their personality objectively. Like her, I never spoke to people at school, and when I did, like her, I did so with the intent of making them never talk to me again. And so on and so forth.

Because of that I can say without a doubt that Kurosawa is a manipulative, self-centered scumbag. He may be a generic sparkly white knight bishonen type by typical shoujo standards, but when compared to the starkly realistic portrayal of Mei, simply saying that he's a selfless nice guy is not going to cut it. White knights do not exist in real life, and therefore they cannot exist as a protagonist in a story which aspires to have realistic characters. The ONLY reason that a guy would pursue a person like Mei as diligently and forcefully as he does is to boost his ego by making the most angry, antisocial girl in school fall for him. As the seemingly 'selfless freak' Taichi from Kokoro Connect said about himself, he doesn't help others because he cares about them more than himself, he helps others because he wants feel better about himself by having other people rely on him. He is a 'selfish freak.'

Some of you might have liked the kissing at the end, because hey, who doesn't want a gorgeous guy sweet talking you and kissing you passionately just out of sight of the public eye. The thing is, a person like Mei doesn't want that, and a guy who really cares about a girl like Mei doesn't force himself on her like that. Mei wants to be able to trust someone, and Kurosawa is not someone to trust. As someone who normally loves the warm fuzzies brought on by good romantic stuff, this scene made me sick to my stomach.

Uhg, that was a long rant. Sorry about the wall of text, but I just had to spit that out there. Perhaps I should have just made this a review. In some ways the show is too realistic for me (not something I thought I'd ever say), and what I take issue with is not so much the realism as it is viewers not realizing that there's more to the show than what's on the surface. Regardless, I really relate to Mei, and therefore will continue watching the show with the hope that Kurosawa will get enough development to justify his rotten behavior thus far.

I cannot agree more, he's more of a playboy than 'popular nice guy' and he knows it. I can't help but compare to Kimi ni Todoke but I liked that anime so much more as Kazehaya is much more respectful and gentlemen like than Yamoto who is more forward and brash. Which is fine but as you pointed Mei doesn't want that and is feeling more uncomfortable and imposed.
Oct 16, 2012 8:18 PM
Jun 2012
Maybe this is just me, but I'm still not used to the character voices. They all seem a bit too timid for me to get used to them. I was expecting deeper voices for a few of the characters.
Oct 17, 2012 10:20 AM

Dec 2011
Face_Faith said:
iLostReason said:
Cratex said:
First, I and I may be wrong, but I believe those two have been dating for some time, years at least. so, it's hardly a case of her "go to sleep or kiss with whoever looks good for them". We don't know very much about her, but I did not get the impression she wanted to use him. Rather, I got the impression she was becoming jealous because she was supposed to be his girlfriend yet she was hearing things about him and was pressuring him to make a choice between her and other girls.

Second, to your later point, you are very correct, there are a lot of people around here who have different opinions on what is acceptable behavior for teens. Some such as yourself may be fairly strict, others of us are not. Can you just accept that some of us view the situation differently?

Indeed, we don't know much about her, but well, then i guess i should have said that my ''first impression of her is very bad''.Jealousy is jealosy, but...the thing is that they are dating for a long time if i remember correctly, and they have never kissed.Which is already weird, because if you really date someone and love this person, you would definitely want to at least kiss each other before some random girls/guy do it.Second, which got me really confused...why Kurosawa is kissing so many girls anyway, (if rumour is true, and it seems so) when he have girlfriend.Why she didnt say something before? and here another thing comes to my mind.They just don't love each other...at least thats what i think for now.I don't know how about Kurosawa, but Airi seems like trying to ''defend'' her handsome boyfriend only when something serious happens.I still don't know whats her idea, and what shes up to, but for this moment i dont think shes a good character that wants to date with Kurosawa because of love.He seems weird too, i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Uhm, if you're talking about Yamato and Arai, I don't recall them dating :S

akutasame94 said:

I remember at the end of the... first volume or so, the author said she had similar experiences to Mei regarding the bullying, but was there really more to it? If so, can you link to a site or something? :O

Well there it was also written that she hated everyone, that she felt betrayed and that Mei is a copy of her. Also that skirt pulling event also happened to her, except that she didn't hit a guy instead she said f**k you xD
Oct 17, 2012 1:05 PM

Jan 2011
This and Kimi no Todoke aren't so similar when I look at it now. That guy seems to be a "I'll go to bed with anyone I like" type.
Hexari said:
Does Yamato make anyone else feel uncomfortable? Something seems.. off.

Exactly how I feel.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Oct 17, 2012 1:51 PM

May 2012
Way too many kisses and boob talks, I like my shoujo slow and sublime.
Oct 17, 2012 4:18 PM

Feb 2012
Well another great episode, Can't wait for the next one.
Oct 17, 2012 9:59 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode
Oct 17, 2012 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
Benzen said:
Omni-Bot said:

First of all, I need to state that Mei is exactly like I was at that age. I don't just mean similar, I mean to-a-tee-carbon-copy-clone the same. I had a similar home life. I was also betrayed by people I trusted at a young age and developed the exact same outlook on friendship. Like her, I understood people quite well despite my social ineptitude because I could look at them without any emotional attachment and analyze their personality objectively. Like her, I never spoke to people at school, and when I did, like her, I did so with the intent of making them never talk to me again. And so on and so forth.

Because of that I can say without a doubt that Kurosawa is a manipulative, self-centered scumbag. He may be a generic sparkly white knight bishonen type by typical shoujo standards, but when compared to the starkly realistic portrayal of Mei, simply saying that he's a selfless nice guy is not going to cut it. White knights do not exist in real life, and therefore they cannot exist as a protagonist in a story which aspires to have realistic characters. The ONLY reason that a guy would pursue a person like Mei as diligently and forcefully as he does is to boost his ego by making the most angry, antisocial girl in school fall for him. As the seemingly 'selfless freak' Taichi from Kokoro Connect said about himself, he doesn't help others because he cares about them more than himself, he helps others because he wants feel better about himself by having other people rely on him. He is a 'selfish freak.'

Some of you might have liked the kissing at the end, because hey, who doesn't want a gorgeous guy sweet talking you and kissing you passionately just out of sight of the public eye. The thing is, a person like Mei doesn't want that, and a guy who really cares about a girl like Mei doesn't force himself on her like that. Mei wants to be able to trust someone, and Kurosawa is not someone to trust. As someone who normally loves the warm fuzzies brought on by good romantic stuff, this scene made me sick to my stomach.

Uhg, that was a long rant. Sorry about the wall of text, but I just had to spit that out there. Perhaps I should have just made this a review. In some ways the show is too realistic for me (not something I thought I'd ever say), and what I take issue with is not so much the realism as it is viewers not realizing that there's more to the show than what's on the surface. Regardless, I really relate to Mei, and therefore will continue watching the show with the hope that Kurosawa will get enough development to justify his rotten behavior thus far.

I cannot agree more, he's more of a playboy than 'popular nice guy' and he knows it. I can't help but compare to Kimi ni Todoke but I liked that anime so much more as Kazehaya is much more respectful and gentlemen like than Yamoto who is more forward and brash. Which is fine but as you pointed Mei doesn't want that and is feeling more uncomfortable and imposed.

My exact opinion. And yes, Kazehaya > Kurosawa.
Oct 18, 2012 7:11 AM

Nov 2008
I hated Kazehaya, he was really boring and clearly the mangaka's ideal man.
Oct 18, 2012 5:26 PM
Apr 2011
I think Mei is confused for the same reason as I am. What does Kurosawa see in Mei? Cute? okay fine yes. Hard to get? sure but not because Mei is leading him on.

I'm sure it'll be revealed later but I can see Mei's hesitation to accept her feelings for Kurosawa when she hasn't really trusted anyone before.
Oct 19, 2012 1:07 PM

Dec 2011
zorapup said:
I think Mei is confused for the same reason as I am. What does Kurosawa see in Mei? Cute? okay fine yes. Hard to get? sure but not because Mei is leading him on.

I'm sure it'll be revealed later but I can see Mei's hesitation to accept her feelings for Kurosawa when she hasn't really trusted anyone before.

So far in manga Yamato is far from being a bad guy, it's exact opposite. This anime really serves as an example how people jump to conclusions and judge others(in this case anime character) without any evidence.
Anyway... Chapter 24, when are you going to be translated... And that chapter will be the end of volume 6 and if I am not wrong there are 10 volumes T.T I want more :'(
Oct 19, 2012 10:36 PM
Apr 2011
akutasame94 said:
zorapup said:

So far in manga Yamato is far from being a bad guy, it's exact opposite. This anime really serves as an example how people jump to conclusions and judge others(in this case anime character) without any evidence.
Anyway... Chapter 24, when are you going to be translated... And that chapter will be the end of volume 6 and if I am not wrong there are 10 volumes T.T I want more :'(

Oh I'm not saying he's a bad guy at all. But his intentions although i suppose it seems clear on the surface seems very cloudy underneath. Whatever the rumor of Arai and him may be, I think there's just a bunch of internal emotional distress he's dealing with and I'm just not sure whether he's moving his feelings onto someone else. Like a rebound or an example would be taking out your anger on person B when really you're mad at person A.
Oct 20, 2012 1:37 AM

Dec 2011
zorapup said:
akutasame94 said:
zorapup said:

Oh I'm not saying he's a bad guy at all. But his intentions although i suppose it seems clear on the surface seems very cloudy underneath. Whatever the rumor of Arai and him may be, I think there's just a bunch of internal emotional distress he's dealing with and I'm just not sure whether he's moving his feelings onto someone else. Like a rebound or an example would be taking out your anger on person B when really you're mad at person A.

Ok I am not going to spoil anything, but it might be possible. Anyway so far in these six translated volumes nothing of that happened. He has some issues but they tend to be a little romantic (he is to possessive towards Mei later, not that she hates it). There is far more to him than it is presented in anime. And I am not sure if anime will be able to portray him as well as manga does. Although even after reading what is translated and finding out a little about him and his thoughts I still somehow think there is a smallest possibility that he wants just to have sex and that's all (yes there is a lot of sex talk here xD)
Oct 20, 2012 9:15 AM

May 2012
>Really weird execution in this episode
We have a timid girl who more or less hates people and won't make friends and then somehow is hanging out at a karaoke bar and interacting with Asamicchi as if they were good friends. And then she turns into a stalker at the end of the episode. Tachibana feels completely out of her character from episode one and I don't think this episode flows well at all.

3/5
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Oct 21, 2012 1:50 AM

Aug 2012
Something smells like sexual assault...

Seems to me the pace is happening too quickly. No character development?
Oct 21, 2012 5:29 AM

Jun 2008
akutasame94 said:
Well there it was also written that she hated everyone, that she felt betrayed and that Mei is a copy of her. Also that skirt pulling event also happened to her, except that she didn't hit a guy instead she said f**k you xD

That may be, I don't remember it that well. I think she also talked about the advice of one of her teachers regarding bullies... That was a very interesting point of view~ Maybe I should read it again >D
Btw, all those reactions after the first two episodes are really different from the manga. Even though it doesn't seem that different from the original, it might not be such a good adaption after all.
Oct 21, 2012 5:43 AM
Jul 2012
If you've watched too many romance anime. One word: Cliché
Ep 1 was good though... would've been great if this anime just have 1 episode.
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Oct 26, 2012 8:22 PM

Jul 2008
This anime is starting to be unrealistic. It's a decent romantic anime, but it seems like its going downhill from here.
Oct 27, 2012 4:37 PM

Mar 2011
Damn casanova!
Oct 27, 2012 8:29 PM

Aug 2010
I'm calling sex by ep3.
Oct 28, 2012 6:29 AM
Jul 2018
Dang... Watching those kisses at the end made me as red as a tomato (which is the very reason why I avoid the shoujo genre). Anyway the stories progressing a little

3.5/5
Oct 28, 2012 9:52 AM

Nov 2008
How many kisses have they had by ep 2?
Oct 28, 2012 10:50 AM

Aug 2011
I thought she was going to find Kurosawa kissing Asami for a second but then he turned it around completely with Tachibana. Heart-warming ending, nice credits song.
Oct 30, 2012 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
HHHNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

oh god I'm tearing up at that last scene
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 31, 2012 4:19 AM

Jun 2009
I can't wait to watch the next episode :3
Nov 6, 2012 1:36 PM

Mar 2009
I went asdfghjkl during the last few minutes(〃・・〃)♥(ノ´∀`)one day I will get a kiss like that and be like "oh this reminds me of Sukitte Ii na yo

yes I never got kissed before be very jealous ppl(〃・・〃)
Nov 7, 2012 12:39 PM

Apr 2012
This series has had more kisses at 2 episodes than most other anime after 25.
Nov 8, 2012 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
I liked that ep, but still got kind of different feeling than the first ep... This was full of typical shoujo blushing and crying. I hope there's going to be more unique feeling.

Nov 19, 2012 3:04 AM

Nov 2012
In the first episode I was worried that this wouldn't distinguish itself from Kimi Ni Todoke, but this episode fixed that nicely. Yamato isn't the totally sweet/popular guy we thought and he's learning a lesson about that.
Nov 25, 2012 4:33 PM

Jul 2012
I think the episode was cute, although I'm wondering how the story will progress...
This is the type of anime that could either be completely great, or crush under its own weight after the first few episodes. Despite this, the series has my attention.
I'd rate the episode 4/5
Dec 4, 2012 12:17 PM

Jul 2012
WTF i dont understand this show Asami said she likes Yamato and when his friend confessed to her she was acting like he was her big love .
Everything just feels horribly forced and happens without much sense.
Dec 10, 2012 4:58 PM

Jun 2010
As someone else mentioned, Yamato is a man-slut.

I guess good looks can take you very far lol Kissing almost every girl in school.......just lolz
Dec 15, 2012 2:25 AM
Aug 2011
About the story ... well yeah, cool so far ^_^ I didn't pay much attention to Arai, she's Yamato first crush, but that was in the past. As far as i can understand he is not mr. perfect, he also has flaws ... but i think he pays attention to Mei and i like how he's alert? (is this right word?) of her, always helping her, being nice ... i think he's quite serious with her. I'm more interessted in progresing of their relationship than anything else.
Dec 23, 2012 2:41 AM

Aug 2012
Omni-Bot said:

I think I'm chiming in excessively late on this one; but I felt compelled to reply after browsing my way to this post. I was also a somewhat quiet kid who prided himself on being able to analyze people from a distance, so to an extent I do understand where you're coming from. I also felt bad things about Yamato early on in the series but I found myself accepting this as a pseudo-reality that still had just enough fiction in it to be an anime.

Specifically, Mei, in the writer's eyes, seemed to be a little unrealistic, and I think that perhaps you're filling in the blanks of her that were left out in the anime adaptation to be able to claim that you were exactly like her. Yamato is also very unrealistic because it seemed to be exactly the writers intent to make him be the "nice guy" who, perhaps because of some drama and guilt from his past, was also unreasonably selfless.

I think that in this "unrealistic" anime world, the show is mostly about these two characters learning to discard their dark sides so they can properly respond to the obvious eternal-love-at-first-sight they experienced.
Dec 26, 2012 11:59 PM

Sep 2010
Brego1 said:
This series has had more kisses at 2 episodes than most other anime after 25.

Too true
Dec 28, 2012 1:38 AM

Mar 2012
i'm not really used to shoujo, but i'm really liking it.
when things get too slow i tend to find them insanely boring.

but one thing that's bugging me here: those kisses = rape? that's a bit overreacting, isn't it?
i mean, then if i shoot you in the face with a gun or if i, i don't know, just slap you, is it the same? both are made with the intention of hurting you. both are out of anger.
meh, i don't know.

on a side note, the art is so pretty i just want to take screencaps of the entire episode and post it on tumblr. <3
Dec 30, 2012 11:52 PM

Sep 2011
Beautiful OP.

One too many kisses bro! LOL
Jan 5, 2013 5:53 AM

Nov 2012
anyone know what song played at the karaoke room?

*sorry my eng bad*
Jan 8, 2013 3:33 AM
Jul 2018
Never fond of big-breasted characters but Asami made me think twice :)
Jan 16, 2013 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
that ending was pretty smooth xD think that would melt a lot of girls heart's, but those two bullies need to GTFO, they both look like men! another solid episode :)
Jan 18, 2013 4:44 AM

May 2010
I'm actually less convinced about this anime because of this episode. Didn't like the kissing scene at the end. It felt almost too forceful.
I like Mei, but not sure about him.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Nov 10, 2012

139 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 12, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2012

140 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 11, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2012

128 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 11, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2012

163 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 11, 9:28 PM

Poll: » Sukitte Ii na yo. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 30, 2012

250 by Yousif_6557 »»
Jul 11, 8:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.