Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 19, 2019 2:03 PM

Jan 2019
oh yeah i remembered
i refuse to watch Highschool DxD and the Monogatari Series
i watched 6 eps of bakemonogatari and almost burned my eyes because of the horrendous camera angle switches

xergiokw said:
Code Geass.

I've been told to watch it so many times that I started to hate it even before the first try. When I finally tried I could not stand it for more than 5 minutes because of the art.

thats a shame, i think we have fairly similar taste
but no point in watching it if you hate the art, i had the same issue with guren lagann and a couple of other anime it just kills the enjoyment
DenkiDestroy99XApr 19, 2019 2:09 PM
Apr 19, 2019 2:05 PM

Jul 2007
Atlas77 said:
I'm not really scared of long runners since I've watched Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc. But I totally refuse to watch Saint Seiya, I fell like every episode is gonna be an eternity to complete, like that shows where not much happen in 23 minutes.

I am actually about to tackle the beast known as Saint Seiya. Wish me luck.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 19, 2019 2:08 PM

Jan 2019
EndlessMaria said:
Atlas77 said:
I'm not really scared of long runners since I've watched Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc. But I totally refuse to watch Saint Seiya, I fell like every episode is gonna be an eternity to complete, like that shows where not much happen in 23 minutes.

oh i started watching it yesterday
only 3 eps in so far but its actually hilarious, the MC can be such a savage the dialogue was really fun in ep 2 and 3
Apr 19, 2019 2:15 PM

Jul 2007
Daphi said:
EndlessMaria said:

only 3 eps in so far but its actually hilarious, the MC can be such a savage the dialogue was really fun in ep 2 and 3

I watched the first 12 or so episodes of Saint Seiya 10 years ago and I recall enjoying it. I kinda put it on hold for reasons I no longer recall and it sorta ended up rotting in my backlog for a decade lol.

I just finished D.Gray-man which is another lengthy anime that has been on my backlog for just as long. But yeah I'm looking forward to properly starting Saint Seiya next.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 19, 2019 2:17 PM

Jan 2018
- Reverse harems. Cause it makes me cringe.

- Yaoi
Apr 19, 2019 2:23 PM
Apr 2016
Monster - plot makes no sense. Doctor makes a hard decision but then decides to throw life away to pursue a kid murderer even tho he has no idea what he'll do when he catches him or even if he wants to catch him.

Cowboy Bebop - Depressing as hell. Basically just repeatedly hammers in the point that life is unfair.

Gintama - not my type of humor.

Steins;gate - First couple episodes accomplish nothing except for telling me their names and showing me that a banana is weird.
Apr 19, 2019 2:24 PM

Jul 2016
Eromanga, Oreimo, basically any show where the whole point is wanting to fuck your sister. That's just fucked up
Apr 19, 2019 2:31 PM

Nov 2015
There are shows I've watched that I has helped me decide what type of shows I'm not interested in.

Basically, just any show with too much fanservice. Whether it be too many boobs, too much moe, or too cheesy of romance.

Shows with boring protagonists I also try to avoid.
Apr 19, 2019 2:32 PM

Apr 2019
It's been Jojo's for a long time, but i'm about to give in to peer pressure.

There's something about both the art style and fandom that disturbs me.
Apr 19, 2019 2:46 PM

Apr 2019
Cory in the House, because I refuse to watch masterpieces.
Apr 19, 2019 2:46 PM

May 2018
Naruto, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Gintama etc. I mean I'd probably enjoy watching them, but they have way too many episodes to catch up. Also I refuse to watch SAO, because I have heard so many bad things about it. And genres I usually refuse to watch are ecchi and mecha.
Apr 19, 2019 2:47 PM

Jul 2007
Elderanime said:
It's been Jojo's for a long time, but i'm about to give in to peer pressure.

There's something about both the art style and fandom that disturbs me.

Is fandom influence really that bad when it comes to Jojo?

I'm curious because I hear this a lot, however I first got into Jojo back in the early 00's when it was still pretty niche, and I don't follow individual fandoms these days.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 19, 2019 3:03 PM

Dec 2016
The one and only JoJo and it is all thanks to the fan base. They just can't keep there mouth shut about the anime. The first thing you hear from them if it comes to anime is JoJo, and don't even let me mention where they keep on recommending it as if is the best anime there is to find.

I was keeping it aside because of the art style and I would have eventually watch it, but there is no way that I will ever pick it up now.
StrangerZzApr 19, 2019 3:09 PM
Apr 19, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2014
Hentai and long running Shonen Jump shows because of all those filler sagas.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2019 3:17 PM

May 2018
MadHobbit2 said:

Just a cursory glance through the first 100 results of MAL's "shounen" tag (which, btw, is listed under "genres") tells me that I won't enjoy any of these non-battle shounen either. Reading the descriptions, I don't find myself interested in them at all or wanting to watch them.

1. Believe me part of those tags are not genres.
2. Tagging on MAL is highly inaccurate busies.
3. If your profile info is correct - some of your favourite animes are shounens - Steins;Gate, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, Clannad: After Story, Hyouka, Death Note and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
Not all of them are properly tagged tho.
And I am not telling you to watch every shounen under the sun, just to no be prejudice about this tag - check it first and if indeed its battles shounen or some other narrative you dislike - the drop it.
By the way in general I dislike battle shounens too but there are some exceptions like Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi, Yakitate!! Japan (parody) and Soul Eater which I like.

pcbcombr said:
Most shounen, they are all the same.

Not really.
First learn what shounen is.

kevoh1516 said:
Monster - plot makes no sense. Doctor makes a hard decision but then decides to throw life away to pursue a kid murderer even tho he has no idea what he'll do when he catches him or even if he wants to catch him.

Have you even paying attention? He is forced to do so to prove his innocence.
I am not telling you to watch it...personally I have dropped it few times (around ep 20) and had to find a specific mood and company to finish it.
Just criticize it with more fair arguments.

kevoh1516 said:

Steins;gate - First couple episodes accomplish nothing except for telling me their names and showing me that a banana is weird.

Well the first episode kind of makes sense after you watch the whole thing.
I am not telling you to watch it just explaining that this is by design.
alshuApr 19, 2019 3:48 PM
Apr 19, 2019 3:37 PM

Sep 2018
Old animes like albator and evengelion
Apr 19, 2019 3:50 PM
Oct 2018
Harems. I find them boring and repetitive, and the tropes are annoying af, especially the one where the protagonist falls onto the girls chest, lays there for like 10 seconds in shock, and the girl yells "pervert!" , he doesn't apologize and just gasps, you get the idea. That and every other aspect of it is just so cringy. I started watching quintessential quintuplets and liked it until that happened. If anyone knows any harems that aren't cringy and overflowing with tropes, please tell me.
Apr 19, 2019 3:51 PM
Oct 2018
Doc21 said:
Old animes like albator and evengelion
Why? You miss out on a lot of amazing animes when you limit yourself to recent ones...
Apr 19, 2019 4:04 PM

Sep 2015
○ BL or bishounen shows
○ Sequels or prequels to shows I rated below 4
○ Sequels or prequels to shows I dropped because I hated them
○ Isekai Quartet
○ Shows with ugly CG or ugly rotoscoping... ugly visuals or bad sound quality in general
Apr 19, 2019 4:32 PM

Aug 2016
Gintama not because I think I wouldn't like it but because I don't think i can handle another couple hundred episode anime in my life.
Apr 19, 2019 4:47 PM

Feb 2019
alshu said:
MadHobbit2 said:

Just a cursory glance through the first 100 results of MAL's "shounen" tag (which, btw, is listed under "genres") tells me that I won't enjoy any of these non-battle shounen either. Reading the descriptions, I don't find myself interested in them at all or wanting to watch them.

1. Believe me part of those tags are not genres.
2. Tagging on MAL is highly inaccurate busies.
3. If your profile info is correct - some of your favourite animes are shounens - Steins;Gate, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, Clannad: After Story, Hyouka, Death Note and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
Not all of them are properly tagged tho.
And I am not telling you to watch every shounen under the sun, just to no be prejudice about this tag - check it first and if indeed its battles shounen or some other narrative you dislike - the drop it.
By the way in general I dislike battle shounens too but there are some exceptions like Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi, Yakitate!! Japan (parody) and Soul Eater which I like.

pcbcombr said:
Most shounen, they are all the same.

Not really.
First learn what shounen is.

kevoh1516 said:

Have you even paying attention? He is forced to do so to prove his innocence.
I am not telling you to watch it...personally I have dropped it few times (around ep 20) and had to find a specific mood and company to finish it.
Just criticize it with more fair arguments.

kevoh1516 said:

Well the first episode kind of makes sense after you watch the whole thing.
I am not telling you to watch it just explaining that this is by design.

Assuming you're using "shounen" to determine the target demographic, I wouldn't call Steins;Gate, Clannad: Afterstory, or even Oregairu shounen anime. Just because it's set in a highschool doesn't mean it's for highschoolers. Clannad: Afterstory in particular is an anime that I feel a lot of teenagers and younger people in general wouldn't appreciate as much as someone in their late 20s/30s. And for stuff like Steins;Gate, it COULD be classified as shounen, but then you'd have to call every sci-fi thriller a shounen as well. It makes shounen too general of a category.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 19, 2019 4:51 PM

Nov 2009
Nope. I keep my options open and if I don't like an anime I have to confirm such by watching it first.
Apr 19, 2019 4:59 PM

Feb 2019
Detective Conan, Watamote & Danmachi

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Apr 19, 2019 5:11 PM

May 2018
MadHobbit2 said:
I wouldn't call Steins;Gate, Clannad: Afterstory, or even Oregairu shounen anime. Just because it's set in a highschool doesn't mean it's for highschoolers. Clannad: Afterstory in particular is an anime that I feel a lot of teenagers and younger people in general wouldn't appreciate as much as someone in their late 20s/30s. And for stuff like Steins;Gate, it COULD be classified as shounen, but then you'd have to call every sci-fi thriller a shounen as well. It makes shounen too general of a category.

It's not what you could call them or I could call them...it's what the author and the publishers decided them to be.

For example Otome Youkai Zakuro is very shoujo-ish title...but it's actually for this part of the seinen demography who likes shoujo.

PS
I can give you other examples of non-DB or non-Naruto shounens from your list - Hataraku Maou-sama!, Kokoro Connect, Eureka Seven and Suzumiya Haruhi.

And again - may point is not to say "Actually you already like shounen"...there horrible titles out there even from the non-battle and non-sport kind...just this term is too broad to hate everything related to it on the basis that you disliked some shounens.
alshuApr 19, 2019 5:27 PM
Apr 19, 2019 5:12 PM

Sep 2015
Tokyo Ghoul, SAO and Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu.
Apr 19, 2019 5:20 PM

Nov 2009
kevoh1516 said:

Tenma's life was already crumbling after being unfairly demoted from a job that he'd dedicated his life to securing and being ditched by his fiance. His only consolation was that he saved the life of a child...who then becomes a mass murderer who causes Tenma to become a suspect for the deaths of his colleagues. I don't think it's nonsensical that he chases after Johan.
Apr 19, 2019 5:21 PM

Aug 2011
PsychoEkin said:
I refuse to watch the fate series because I don't like the MC.

I also try to avoid yaoi and reverse harem anime.

I'm curious as to which MC you mean because it changes depending on which fate you watch? I'm assuming it's Rin because most people hate tsundere. I don't want to tell you what to do but I honestly felt the same about fate and put it off for a long time. The fight scenes alone make the entire series worth it. The OPs are incredible and some of the best I've ever heard in anime. I'm not a hardcore fan but it hurts my heart to see people not give it a chance. If Rin annoys you, watch Fate/zero instead. If Saber (???) annoys you, watch Fate/Unlimited Blade Works instead. Please don't throw out the entire franchise because of one character.
Apr 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2011
laviha said:
Future Diary, I dropped after episode 5 and can't even think about going through the pain of watching rest of the 21 episodes

Not a terrible choice. The very end was complete and utter trash but I found the rest of the show entertaining. It's not everyone's cup of tea, though. I had a hard time getting past the shit animation, honestly.
Apr 19, 2019 5:27 PM

Apr 2016
my academishit hiro

fucking formulatic garbage capitalizing on super hero trend shit
Apr 19, 2019 5:28 PM

Mar 2009
Most isekai because the female characters are written like shit.
Apr 19, 2019 6:23 PM

Feb 2019
alshu said:
MadHobbit2 said:
I wouldn't call Steins;Gate, Clannad: Afterstory, or even Oregairu shounen anime. Just because it's set in a highschool doesn't mean it's for highschoolers. Clannad: Afterstory in particular is an anime that I feel a lot of teenagers and younger people in general wouldn't appreciate as much as someone in their late 20s/30s. And for stuff like Steins;Gate, it COULD be classified as shounen, but then you'd have to call every sci-fi thriller a shounen as well. It makes shounen too general of a category.

It's not what you could call them or I could call them...it's what the author and the publishers decided them to be.

For example Otome Youkai Zakuro is very shoujo-ish title...but it's actually for this part of the seinen demography who likes shoujo.

PS
I can give you other examples of non-DB or non-Naruto shounens from your list - Hataraku Maou-sama!, Kokoro Connect, Eureka Seven and Suzumiya Haruhi.

And again - may point is not to say "Actually you already like shounen"...there horrible titles out there even from the non-battle and non-sport kind...just this term is too broad to hate everything related to it on the basis that you disliked some shounens.

None of those shows you mentioned (aside from E7) are marketed towards the shounen demographic, and therefore are not shounen anime. This isn't me trying to make up a new definition; that's what shounen is. That's what the publishers and authors have decided it to be. And yes, it is an extremely general label, because if you really stretch it, ANYTHING can be shounen. Young adolescent males will watch almost anything, so where do we draw the line? If a writer decides to create a manga intended for teen boys, but teen girls end up enjoying it more, does that make it shounen or shoujo? How much stock can we really place in the author's ability to determine who will like their work? The publisher's intentions are even more vague, because all they care about is which demographic will bring in the most money, so obviously they'd serialize it where it's guaranteed to sell the most copies. For these reasons, I don't place much stock in whatever the author or publisher says regarding the target audience of their work.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Apr 19, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2018
any anime with over 150 episodes- i'm looking for a show to watch not a life commitment

also any isekai that are seasonally airing. I don't completely cut off isekai from my watch list- just airing stuff. this is so I can know if it's actually good (with the help of reviews, recommendations ect) as most new isekai are kinda shit?

also the fate series...? I just don't understand how to watch it, there are so many series and I don't know what order to watch them in, some are series in different universes? some are canon some aren't? its too confusing
Apr 19, 2019 6:34 PM

Sep 2018
yuri on ice, im annoyed from the fans. same goes for re:zero. or anything with weird incest shit. i’m not too picky with my anime though
Apr 19, 2019 6:41 PM

May 2018
xergiokw said:
Code Geass.

I've been told to watch it so many times that I started to hate it even before the first try. When I finally tried I could not stand it for more than 5 minutes because of the art.

Same- I haven't watched code geass because I think the art style is so ugly. like man, why are their chins so pointy?!

also i've been spoiled for the ending, so its kinda ruined for me anyway
Apr 19, 2019 7:18 PM

Oct 2017
Pitunov said:
Detective conan and one piece - because there's too much episode.

Yeah I feel that, that's why I'm reading the One Piece manga instead of watching it. Detective Conan never appealed to me so I'm taking a pass on that one. Others I'm passing on include new seasons of series that I disliked the first season (ie. FLCL and Kakegurui) and anything hentai.
Apr 19, 2019 7:24 PM

Feb 2019
"Horror" anime. The scare is always just some girl smiling weird or something. The only animated feature that was genuinely scary was The Second Renaissance in The Animatrix. That scene where the guy gets cut out of his robot suit is still hard to watch.
Apr 19, 2019 7:55 PM

Feb 2017
nothing is off limits for me. i want to roll around in filth.
Apr 19, 2019 8:04 PM

Dec 2014
One Piece, Narato, Bleach and Fairy Tail they are all to long that I just can't bring myself to continue any of them I have watched a few arcs of each of them, but have never really committed my self to completing these anime
Apr 19, 2019 8:12 PM
Apr 2018
SAO just cause I already know it is trash, so why watch it.
Apr 19, 2019 8:36 PM

Dec 2016
EndlessMaria said:

What do you mean by "beast" exactly?

Daphi said:

You are watching that abomination of the DIC dub I suppose, please do yourself a big favour and switch to sub immediately!
Apr 19, 2019 9:17 PM

May 2016
fma and fma:b. my best friend always tells me to watch and i honestly don't think i never will. it just doesn't interest me and i wish she would understand that :sob:

Apr 19, 2019 9:37 PM

Jan 2019
Arkab said:
EndlessMaria said:

What do you mean by "beast" exactly?

Daphi said:

You are watching that abomination of the DIC dub I suppose, please do yourself a big favour and switch to sub immediately!

no i dont watch dubs xD never
its just seiyas personality is hilarious xD

also im guessing what endlessmaria meant by beast is probably just the amount of episodes but im just guessing ;o

pure said:
fma and fma:b. my best friend always tells me to watch and i honestly don't think i never will. it just doesn't interest me and i wish she would understand that :sob:

according to your score u seem to have enjoyed hunter x hunter though
these two shows have the same vibes, why exactly doesn't it interest you?
DenkiDestroy99XApr 19, 2019 9:48 PM
Apr 19, 2019 9:51 PM
Feb 2019
any shounen that looks like any other shounen
Apr 19, 2019 10:00 PM

May 2016
Daphi said:
pure said:

according to your score u seem to have enjoyed hunter x hunter though
these two shows have the same vibes, why exactly doesn't it interest you?

meh the reason i even watched hxh was because i was a fan of togashi. despite them being the same vibes i really don't watch shounen at all to begin with or read it so thats why i refuse to watch fma or fma:b cause that demographic doesn't interest me

Apr 19, 2019 11:09 PM

Dec 2016
Daphi said:

also im guessing what endlessmaria meant by beast is probably just the amount of episodes but im just guessing ;o

Hmmm weird that you get that impression of him honestly xD, Seiya is anything but a "funny dude" or a character meant for comedy... in fact in SS there's hardly any comedy, if you keep watching you'll realize how the tone is in reality constantly very serious... it's probably the most serious battle shounen show of all.

Also 114 episodes (145 counting the 2000s continuation) are not really thaaat much to consider it a "beast", it's not like a Naruto or One Piece with over 700...
Apr 19, 2019 11:12 PM

Mar 2018
I refuse to watch Naruto and anything related to Naruto because I feel its just overhyped as hell
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Apr 19, 2019 11:13 PM

Mar 2018
Aneurz said:
any shounen that looks like any other shounen

You just described all shounen. Well done.
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Apr 19, 2019 11:14 PM
Mar 2019
Boku no hero academia
A bunch of people I know are watching it, and constantly talk about it. I won't, not because I think the anime is bad, but because it just doesn't caught my attention
Apr 19, 2019 11:19 PM

Jan 2019
Arkab said:
Daphi said:

Hmmm weird that you get that impression of him honestly xD, Seiya is anything but a "funny dude" or a character meant for comedy... in fact in SS there's hardly any comedy, if you keep watching you'll realize how the tone is in reality constantly very serious... it's probably the most serious battle shounen show of all.

Also 114 episodes (145 counting the 2000s continuation) are not really thaaat much to consider it a "beast", it's not like a Naruto or One Piece with over 700...

thats exactly it
he takes himself so seriously but the way its portrayed is just hilarious
but not just him generally the dialogue is quite hilarious through its seriousness the way its portrayed and a combination of Art-Style and especially voice acting xD

and yeah 100 arent that much its true
Apr 19, 2019 11:39 PM

Oct 2017
>Light Novel adaptation
>Crappy and generic looking key visual
>A-1 Pictures name attached to it
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 1 hour ago

21 by Ba-Cii10 »»
33 seconds ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 4 hours ago

10 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

150 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows?

DesuMaiden - 10 hours ago

47 by CaptainKenshiro »»
6 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

184 by SouthRzVa »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.