Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2018 5:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, it's about time they actually got some shogi game going. They tried to go over the top with the shogi battles although the reality of it is that it's just a regular match. Yaichi also struggled quite a bit as it felt more like a battle of mental mind games.

Charlotte got introduced this episode too. Cute girl imo.

Better than the first episode. Ai's getting more annoying though, especially with her jealousy.
Stark700Jan 15, 2018 7:25 AM
Jan 15, 2018 7:42 AM

Apr 2016
My low expectations for this show are getting lower.

But ...

Where plot/setting/characters/ fail, the fanservice and lolis save the day!
Jan 15, 2018 7:47 AM

Sep 2016
wow actual shogi anime about shogi.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 15, 2018 7:48 AM
Oct 2016
Swagernator said:
My low expectations for this show are getting lower.

But ...

Where plot/setting/characters/ fail, the fanservice and lolis save the day!

well said sir, let me quote this on every cute girl doing cute things anime...
Jan 15, 2018 7:50 AM
Oct 2016
GangsterCat said:
wow actual shogi anime about shogi.

shogi anime about shogi... and loli for the bonus...
Jan 15, 2018 7:58 AM

Dec 2014
the game and all was good but then mom arrives and some lewd talk happens
Jan 15, 2018 8:00 AM

Apr 2013
Char's really funny xD
Also, Ai-chan's mother is a beauty :v

Jan 15, 2018 8:37 AM

Jun 2015
Yaichi was struggling during that shogi match, but managed to win. Congrats. The girls in the training group are cute. Ai gets jealous when a girl gets too close to Yaichi. Her mother though.
Jan 15, 2018 8:40 AM

Dec 2014
He as a pro shogi player should be offended by the mother's statement. She basically mocked shogi as a professional game and all the professional players. While talent gives a great advantage, there is something that is as important in the game—experience. That is something that her child will be denied of if she stopped her from playing.
Jan 15, 2018 8:40 AM

Dec 2015
So does Ginko just keep those pictures of the Loli King as Blackmail???
It's not the Slates that is essential to people. What we need is...
Well...
A small table to share a meal... That's more than enough.

That's my conclusion. The answer I've reached as the Silver King.
Jan 15, 2018 9:01 AM

Dec 2011
Top grade milf + top grade loli ??? This begs for some oyakodon doujinshi!

STILL 10/10, STILL better than 3-gatsu no trash!
Jan 15, 2018 9:09 AM

Jan 2018
I think I have to start learning some Shogi basic after all, or else I'll have no idea what happen during the Shogi match.
I never knew Shogi match could take that long, they really did played almost until dawn. Yaichi only win because he keep prolonging the match that cause Ayumu losing concentration.

RaspberryKisses said:

STILL 10/10, STILL better than 3-gatsu no trash!

Dude, if you really like this show then I'm really happy but I don't think it necessary to bashed another show or else this topic will full of people thrashed talk to each other again.
AshenKnightJan 20, 2018 4:43 PM
Jan 15, 2018 9:10 AM

Jan 2014
So there's zero male children that want to be his disciple? But there's an army of lolis that want his dick? Anime logic.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 15, 2018 9:19 AM
Jun 2015
this episode truly shows that there is more to just loli fanservice and a "loli harem" for this show - In fact, im actuallty curious to see how would they make Ai Struggle with the 3 matches - if that is executed properly i think this arc alone is a solid 7/10.
Jan 15, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 2015
Ai is infecting me with a high dose of adorable. The second episode of Ryou's Work is full of lolis learning how to play shogi, and I am just disgustingly amused by it.
Jan 15, 2018 9:52 AM

Sep 2013
The dragon beats the lance knight after an unexpected Ai boost.
Ai's new shogi friends come to learn and Ai's parents disapprove :(
Jan 15, 2018 10:08 AM
Oct 2010
Brixjohn_5000 said:
He as a pro shogi player should be offended by the mother's statement. She basically mocked shogi as a professional game and all the professional players. While talent gives a great advantage, there is something that is as important in the game—experience. That is something that her child will be denied of if she stopped her from playing.

I thought the same. The mother was overall rude throughout the meeting, but that part was ridiculous. As if being a professional (in any area) was so easy that talent would be enough.

But to think I would read a sensible statement from someone with a pedobear avatar... It's surreal. XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jan 15, 2018 11:04 AM
Jan 2017
This episode features a more elaborate and over-the-top shogi match, possibly to reel in more viewers. Also, the introduction of Ai's family opens the possibility for more drama. I'm also interested to see what role Ginko will play in future episodes.
Jan 15, 2018 11:09 AM

Apr 2015
Brixjohn_5000 said:

She doesn't care. It's all about the monies. Typical asian parent mentality. That which does not give you a stable income is worthless. Getting at least a 98/100 is to be expected. There're so many kids getting a mental breakdown because they had gotten a 97. Seeing 15 year olds with grey hair is a common sight.

And they wrap it all up as "for you own good", "that's life", while voting and putting trash in government that further turns the society into a Confucian dystopia, as if it wasn't already bad enough.
IMACOPJan 15, 2018 11:19 AM
Omae wa mou bakuhatsu desu!
Jan 15, 2018 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
I completely forgot they cast Mitsuko Horie as Ai's mother, she have really great voice :)

Jan 15, 2018 11:36 AM

Mar 2016
As expected of Loli Shogi, it's too dangerous (*searches for hentai doujinshi.... there it is :D )

Another comedy anime that I can't stop anticipating, but I'm still curious why it was rated highly by novel critics that it got two consecutive top one ranking.
Jan 15, 2018 11:37 AM

Sep 2016
IMACOP said:
Brixjohn_5000 said:

She doesn't care. It's all about the monies. Typical asian parent mentality. That which does not give you a stable income is worthless. Getting at least a 98/100 is to be expected. There're so many kids getting a mental breakdown because they had gotten a 97. Seeing 15 year olds with grey hair is a common sight.

And they wrap it all up as "for you own good", "that's life", while voting and putting trash in government that further turns the society into a Confucian dystopia, as if it wasn't already bad enough.
imagine being this overreacting with the extreme generalization.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 15, 2018 11:42 AM

Mar 2016
IMACOP said:
Brixjohn_5000 said:

WUT? Do you live in CHINA? KOREA? JAPAN?
Jan 15, 2018 11:51 AM

Feb 2007
With all the drama and people comparing the two series, it sure was nice to see the "1-gatsu no Dragon" posters in this episode. :D
Jan 15, 2018 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
Char is too precious
Jan 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Jan 2015
Dad is such a beta lol but MC is even worse lol.
I think i woulda liked the anime more if it wasnt for MC, i really cant stand him, his decision making, his personality, the things he say.

Btw i was wondering is shogi really that popular amongst grade schoolers in Japan? it seems like a lot are interested in it... they even know professional shogi players.
Also whenever Ai goes into KOU KOU KOU KOU KOU mode, it gets real xD Hope someone makes a meme video already
Jan 15, 2018 12:33 PM
Aug 2014
RaspberryKisses said:

Oyakodon and ntr since she's married. lol
Jan 15, 2018 12:37 PM

Apr 2015
GangsterCat said:
IMACOP said:

I'm sorry for my extreme generalization which resulted from taking a step out of my door and looking at the society I'm in... no wait, I don't even need to do that. My family itself have at least 5 cases of mental exhaustion. ;p
IMACOPJan 15, 2018 12:43 PM
Omae wa mou bakuhatsu desu!
Jan 15, 2018 12:47 PM

Sep 2015
I want to recommend this so bad, but then it gets bogged down by the loli/ LN bullshit. There's a charm to this series, but until I pinpoint just what gets me excited when watching this series, I have to consider everything that will turn people away without giving a proper defense. 3.5/10
Jan 15, 2018 1:00 PM
Mar 2016
Man, it's just Shogi, so what's with all that MMOPRG thingy?

Oh boy the MC is a Loli magnet.
And Ai chan's parents have arrived, maybe they should've given her a good spanking.
Jan 15, 2018 1:24 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
I want to recommend this so bad, but then it gets bogged down by the loli/ LN bullshit. There's a charm to this series, but until I pinpoint just what gets me excited when watching this series, I have to consider everything that will turn people away without giving a proper defense. 3.5/10

The loli/LN shit is part of it's charm honestly. Ai is adorable and great. If you want a more "pure" shogi anime there's other choices out there.
Jan 15, 2018 1:25 PM

Dec 2009
Got a kick out of this episode, really made me laugh at the "loli king" part.
Jan 15, 2018 1:29 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:

The loli/LN shit is part of it's charm honestly. Ai is adorable and great. If you want a more "pure" shogi anime there's other choices out there.

That's my point. Unless the bullshit serves a narrative purpose, I can't defend that aspect of the show on the basis of what it is used to accomplish. I don't want "pure" anime, I want a good one.
Jan 15, 2018 1:34 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

That's my point. Unless the bullshit serves a narrative purpose, I can't defend that aspect of the show on the basis of what it is used to accomplish. I don't want "pure" anime, I want a good one.

There's no reason to defend it because there's nothing wrong with it. It has lolis and they're used as effectively as any series with them with Ai literally being the main female character. Her cuteness and antics have an effect on the MC and have so far positively affected him.
Aiko_HiroshiJan 15, 2018 1:57 PM
Jan 15, 2018 1:41 PM

Sep 2016
IMACOP said:
GangsterCat said:
I'm sorry for my extreme generalization which resulted from taking a step out of my door and looking at the society I'm in... no wait, I don't even need to do that. My family itself have at least 5 cases of mental exhaustion. ;p
hey I also live in that "nightmarish asian territory", and it's not like that at all. maybe you are just living in super elite class society in elite city of elite country like korea.
CrossAnge

Jan 15, 2018 2:00 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:

There's no reason to defend it because there's nothing wrong with it. It has lolis and they're used as effectively as any series with them with Ai literally being the main female character. Her cuteness and antics have an effect on the MC and have so positively affected him.

Unfortunately, criticisms don't work like that. If you can't defend what you like for its own merits, then don't criticize me for looking for reasons to defend it. I can end the statement there, but I should also add that you are trying to defend it by saying there's nothing wrong with it, just be careful with that in the future.
Jan 15, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2008
That kind of drama doesn't work with moeblobs. Pick either one series. And boy, was that loli sleepover a low hanging fruit. Surely parents let their gradeschoolers spend night out.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 15, 2018 2:20 PM

Sep 2015
Antanaru said:
That kind of drama doesn't work with moeblobs. Pick either one series. And boy, was that loli sleepover a low hanging fruit. Surely parents let their gradeschoolers spend night out.

That bugged me out too.
Jan 15, 2018 3:17 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm showing the match as a battle huh interesting. As Ryuo his match will be a learning experience whether he wins or not. Its nice that Ai is having fun facing strong opponents though. Ai's looks cute when she's sulking through. Ai really is quite competitive with her affections huh. But Yaichi regaining his motivation from seeing Ai was interesting. But man what an intense match though turning a sure defeat into an impressive victory. The training camp though was interesting though. Yaichi really did get worked up teaching the girls though. Ginko sure loves pranking Yaichi though. Its nice that her parents adapted a wait and see approach rather than take her back forcefully though. Though winning three matches is a tall order.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2018 3:19 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

There's no reason to defend it because there's nothing wrong with it. It has lolis and they're used as effectively as any series with them with Ai literally being the main female character. Her cuteness and antics have an effect on the MC and have so positively affected him.

Unfortunately, criticisms don't work like that. If you can't defend what you like for its own merits, then don't criticize me for looking for reasons to defend it. I can end the statement there, but I should also add that you are trying to defend it by saying there's nothing wrong with it, just be careful with that in the future.

I can defend the stuff I like perfectly fine, I just don't think a show literally aimed a certain audience needs to be defended for having that content. This series has loli fanservice but that's one of its main selling points for some. If people don't like it then they're obviously not part of that target audience. Loli fans need entertaining anime to watch too.
Jan 15, 2018 4:07 PM
Aug 2010
I need some gifs of Char and her cuteness.
Jan 15, 2018 4:10 PM

Apr 2011
Lol, that misleading talk about tutoring. It's cliche but never gets too old.
Jan 15, 2018 4:12 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Eh it was an ok episode. Tbh i prefer it the main characters were just the MC and Ai but if theres gonna be more little girls wanting to be trained then idk how to feel about it.
Jan 15, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:

I can defend the stuff I like perfectly fine, I just don't think a show literally aimed a certain audience needs to be defended for having that content. This series has loli fanservice but that's one of its main selling points for some. If people don't like it then they're obviously not part of that target audience. Loli fans need entertaining anime to watch too.

My point was that you are contradicting yourself and you should be more careful.

Might I also add that I am not against loli fanservice. Fanservice is fanservice, I get that, but fanservice needs a reason for existence too and shouldn't just be convenient. My favorite anime and manga series are comprised mostly of "fanservice" heavy shows, some of the most iconic in the industry, but all of these series have substance to the plate, giving the audience something that actually has some meat to it. My point is that Ryou hasn't shown me any of its substance yet, and I have difficulty recommending the series because of it. That is all.
Jan 15, 2018 5:12 PM
Sep 2010
Hirugiku said:

Btw i was wondering is shogi really that popular amongst grade schoolers in Japan? it seems like a lot are interested in it... they even know professional shogi players.

The popularity of shogi among kids in Japan is rarely reported in English, but the following article and photo accompanied are for your reference.

Kids set record for ‘shogi’ games - https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2012/11/20/national/kids-set-record-for-shogi-games/#.Wl1PMKjXbIU

It is written in 2012. And last years number of the same tournaments exceeded it although kids' number has been declining in Japan lately.
Jan 15, 2018 5:15 PM

Jan 2015
takodori said:
Hirugiku said:

The popularity of shogi among kids in Japan is rarely reported in English, but the following article and photo accompanied are for your reference.

Kids set record for ‘shogi’ games - https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2012/11/20/national/kids-set-record-for-shogi-games/#.Wl1PMKjXbIU

It is written in 2012. And last years number of the same tournaments exceeded it although kids' number has been declining in Japan lately.

wow thanks,thats actually incredible, so many kids. I actually cant imagine so many people playing chess in the west lel
Jan 15, 2018 5:19 PM
Jan 2018
Let's me guess here about harem(or not?) in this show.
I think there are only three girls that kinda had a crush on Yaichi, it's Ginko, Ai(Yandere) and Ai(Tsundere). The other three that introduced in this ep. doesn't seem to feel that way about him(not sure about char though.)

I understand why Ai mom seem unreasonable and gave her daughter such an extreme condition though because she want to take Ai back no matter what. Do you think Ai will have a Miracle and win all of three matches against Pros.?

I expecting some drama in the next EP.
Jan 15, 2018 5:48 PM
Sep 2010
[quote=Hirugiku message=53724406][quote=takodori message=53724379]
Hirugiku said:

they even know professional shogi players.

Ah I forgot to answer the second question. In Japan, NHK(Japan broadcasting company) airs two shogi shows every Sunday morning except year end/beginning. One is a 30 minutes long show of information and lecture about shogi, and the other is a professional tournament which is one hour and a half show. And Nico Nico Douga airs more than 100 professional games on live per year which can accessible even from abroad(though in Japanese). And domestically AbemaTV is streaming shogi contents 24/365. It's no wonder Japanese kids can easily get to know the existence of professional shogi players through these contents. They are considered a sort of celebrity in my country.
Jan 15, 2018 5:52 PM

Jan 2015
[quote=takodori message=53724612][quote=Hirugiku message=53724406]
takodori said:
Hirugiku said:

they even know professional shogi players.

Ah I forgot to answer the second question. In Japan, NHK(Japan broadcasting company) airs two shogi shows every Sunday morning except year end/beginning. One is a 30 minutes long show of information and lecture about shogi, and the other is a professional tournament which is one hour and a half show. And Nico Nico Douga airs more than 100 professional games on live per year which can accessible even from abroad(though in Japanese). And domestically AbemaTV is streaming shogi contents 24/365. It's no wonder Japanese kids can easily get to know the existence of professional shogi players through these contents. They are considered a sort of celebrity in my country.

oh i see so they are like celebrities there, but arent the shogi matches last for 3 hours+ ? while the show is only hour and a half. Also can you just watch streams of the games online? Also do games have commentary? like commentary oriented for new players/kids, i doubt its interesting to watch the show without it
Jan 15, 2018 6:34 PM
Sep 2010
AshenKnight said:
I think I have to start learning some Shogi basic after all, or else I'll have no idea what happen during the Shogi match.
I never knew Shogi match could take that long, they really did played almost until dawn. Yaichi only win because he keep prolonging the match that cause Ayumu losing concentration.

FYR. many non-Japanese people have learned how to play shogi thtrough HIDETCHI's excellent videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL587865CAE59EB84A
I guess it's enough to learn these videos up to #4 to enjoy this show.
The longest thinking time condition for usual matches is six hours per player in real professional scenes. If they spent all their time, they will have to make a move within 60 seconds per move. A game usually starts at 10:00 am and quite often ends at midnight. The former Ryuo title holder Akira Watanabe is rumored getting weaker in a midnight battle since he wrote he usually slept earlier than 24:00 in his blog. Probably he is the model for this part.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

113 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Oct 14, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

105 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 20, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

63 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 13, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2018

88 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 9, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2018

59 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 1, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.