Forum Settings
Forums

Ever see lesbian/gay characters in non-romantic/ecchi anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 17, 2017 1:53 PM

Mar 2010
Centering on the sexuality:
Yuru Yuri is full of yuri crushes but is neither romance nor ecchi.
Akuma no Riddle has strongly implied same-sex relationships (level: if they were opposite sex no one would doubt it).
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha has 2 MCs living together with double bed and raising a child.
Sabagebu one of MCs has a crush on lead which she is very vocal about and everyone in the club ships them, it's the focus of several episodes.
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku the whole point of the anime is that the female MC fell in love with the female school beauty (NOT a romance anime).
(Sorry, no male gay examples from me, I focus on yuri primarily. I'm sure I could find many many more if I tried hard enough but this is just from the top of my head. If you want more examples, let me know.)

Characters but not sexuality-focused:
Burst Angel has female MCs who are in a (unconfirmed? but obvious) relationship.
Sailor Moon has a openly lesbian couple.
Psychopass has 3 lesbian/bi women.
Darker than Black has one lesbian character.
Kuroshitsuji has a gay shinigami.
Mirai Nikki has a gay child detective.
Evangelion has Shin.... I mean, Kaworu.

I'm 100% certain there are many more. Japan doesn't shy away from anything within animation, it only shies away from these things in real life.
Apr 19, 2017 2:33 PM

Mar 2016
Maneki-Mew said:
_Poochyena_ said:
Jakotsu [Inuyasha]

Unfortunately. As far as I know, he got a lot of hate because of it. Not because he's gay. The reason is his whole character and that he's the worst stereotype. ^^" He's effeminate in the worst ways aka really camp, constantly hits on Inuyasha and hates women. The character is very cringeworthy imo.

---

Surprisingly more (well-done) characters than I expected or saw in western TV. However this is a very subjective and biased impression, because I don't read comics or like that usually.
Anyway, many good gay characters (or with very strong queer-baiting vibes) are already mentioned.

Oh and I know there will be this kissing scene in Shinsekai Yori, but I don't know what will happening to them later, because I just had finished the first (breath taking) episode. But this anime will be really great, I think.

I wasn't aware that anyone hated Jakotsu to such a degree. I've kept my love for Inuyasha within a shell and I haven't really spoken to other fans of it, so I have no idea how the rest of the fanbase feels about certain characters.

I for one have always liked Jakotsu- well, maybe not always, but he grew on me. Especially the moments he shared with Bankotsu; I thought those were the sweetest and it made me appreciate his character. I thought him hitting on Inuyasha was hilarious.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of homosexual anime characters, but he's one that doesn't bother me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2017 2:42 PM

Apr 2013
There's a couple of lesbian in Mahoiku. Peoples especially appreciated that one because it was already "in couple since a while" and wasn't exagerated in the yuri relation itself.
Apr 19, 2017 10:15 PM
Mar 2015
Immediately thought of Nina from Code Geas who goes all nuts with her revenge obsession
Apr 19, 2017 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
My personal favorite gay character, Bulat from akame ga kill and I think there was someone in yakitate japan!

edit: I remembered that one guy in speed grapher
L0bstermanApr 19, 2017 10:40 PM
Apr 19, 2017 10:31 PM
Bean Queen

Nov 2009
Well everyone probably knows this but Yuri on ice XD
Also I've heard shows like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura have canon LGBT characters and it's totally natural!
Apr 19, 2017 10:44 PM

May 2016
Homura & Madoka from Madoka Magica, Shinji & Kaworu from Evangelion, Ymir & Krista from Shingeki no Kyojin, Kuroko from Index... There are simply so many I can't count them
Apr 20, 2017 3:03 AM

Dec 2016
There is also Izetta: The last witch, maybe it wasn't as developed as the others but it ended up being a thing
Apr 20, 2017 3:12 AM

Sep 2012
Well there are lots of the. One example is Shinsekai Yori which is an anime not even close to ecchi or hentai.
Apr 20, 2017 3:16 AM
Feb 2017
The main girl from Kuzu no Honkai ( Hanabi I think ) was bisexual, and one of the other characters in the show was a lesbian.
Apr 20, 2017 3:45 AM

Apr 2016
I'm guessing Yuri on Ice is too obvious of an answer here.
Apr 20, 2017 9:49 AM

Apr 2016
Re-Kan has two confirmed lesbians. There are plenty of hints in CGDCT shows where a character could be a lesbian, but it's never confirmed and most studios play it safe and leave it with the hints.
Apr 20, 2017 10:02 AM
Mar 2017
flannan said:
That one time Kobayashi got turned into a guy, it did not stop Tohru at all. More like, she took it as opportunity to seduce her.

So you could say that her sexuality transcends biological sex in that she likes Kobayashi regardless if she's a guy?
That or she's bisexual.
Apr 20, 2017 10:18 AM

Sep 2015
- Okama Hakusho. There are lots of queer supporting characters from the OVA.
- Tokyo Babylon. The two male MCs are dating according to the manga.
- No. 6. The male MCs kissed before
- Horou Musuko. There's a queer couple in the manga version. It's the Nitori and Anna
ChaldeneApr 20, 2017 11:46 AM
Apr 20, 2017 10:38 AM

May 2012
Ms. Aki in Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai is a gay transvestite.

+Mnemosyne

Flip Flappers has a yuri subtext, but it's not blatant. There are little hints like the

and, of course,

Apr 20, 2017 10:47 AM

May 2010
Valmet from Jormungand is lesbian.

tbeans10 said:
Also I've heard shows like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura have canon LGBT characters and it's totally natural!
Cardcaptor Sakura has all sorts of relationship. Not just LGBT but also pedophilia... (both ways too) Also I believe some characters are actually genderless.
Apr 20, 2017 11:08 AM

Dec 2015
But they're not even from the same species... same thing with Kaworu from Eva. It is quite easy to make those "homosexual" characters thanks to this excuse. Like in Angel Sanctuary with Setsuna loving his sister and being a "female" angel reincarnated.

Anyway:
- Dragon Ball had Blue from the Red Ribbon. Otokosuki (subtile, isn't it?) in the last epilogue.
- Sailor Moon has the official couple Haruka / Michiru. And the first adaptation added homosexual tones to some characters, notably ennemies.
- Venus Wars had one of the soldiers in the good camp (forgot his name).
- Tôkyô Babylon/X had one with the Sakurazukamori or two, depending how you consider Sumeragi Subaru (I would count him).
- from the same authors, Cardcaptor Sakura had Tomoyo, along the couple Toya/Yukito (if you consider Yukito as a real human being).
- etc etc from CLAMP
- I'm wondering if Slayers had one somewhere in its three first series.
- Gensômaden Saiyûki (by Minekura) has its kappa, Gôjô, in love with Hakkai (but this one was in a romantic relationship with his own sister).
Rei_IIIApr 20, 2017 11:15 AM
Apr 20, 2017 11:10 AM
Mar 2017
Rei366 said:
But they're not even from the same species...

I don't really think it matters since Tohru's in her human form 95% of the time.
Apr 20, 2017 3:42 PM

Jul 2013
Grell from Black Butler and Fire Emblem from TigerxBunny are the first that comes in mind.
Apr 20, 2017 5:13 PM

Apr 2017
Yuri!!! On Ice has a canon gay couple, but the anime focuses around the ice skating rather Victor and Yuuri's relationship.

Another one would be Kuzu ni Honkai aka Scum's Wish. It is considered a romance anime, but it doesn't focus on the characters sexuality. While
is a lesbian, and there is some Yuri action between her and
, her sexuality isn't the main point of the story and isn't mentioned much.

Grell Sutcliff from Black Butler is another character that comes to mind. She is a transgender mtf and is bisexual. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Ymir from Attack On Titan is in a relationship with Christa, and while I don't know is they're lesbian, bi, ect, they're definently not straight. I believe Marco is also confirmed to be gay, but that could be a false rumor so I can't say for sure. Anyway Marco's at least half gay. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Chopperman-chanApr 20, 2017 5:16 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2017 6:00 PM
Apr 2017
Hi, new here and found this topic interesting and forgive me if I repeat any that's been said.
Kokorou shirai(played for comedic effect)from railgun and magical index
Shinon and yayoi from psycho pass(brief)
Mao from mirai Nikki
Chizuru from bleach
Valmet from jormungand
Umme from ben-to
Mina from darker than black
The major from gits
Sailor Neptune and uranus
Rin and ko from new game
Àlot of ecchi series do lesbian scenes for fanservice
Àlot of the male characters are mostly stereotypes and/one one off characters, some of the more prominent are
Fred from outlaw star
Dr stylish akame ga kill
Jemli from drifters
Gothicbunny66Apr 20, 2017 6:34 PM
Apr 21, 2017 4:20 AM

Oct 2010
Focusing on gay, lesbian and bi:

Gintama devotes half an episode to trying to get a gay couple together and one of the main characters from the supporting cast (Kyubei) has an obvious crush on Otae. Though she is kind of gender fluid so I guess it's debatable.

You couldn't make it more obvious if you tried (Azumanga Daioh):

If I remember correctly one of the older sisters of Taeko (Only yesterday) had a crush on a girl, though it was briefly mentioned.

And the already mentioned.
jal90Apr 21, 2017 4:26 AM
Apr 21, 2017 6:49 AM

Jun 2008
Did OP just say that an anthropomorphized dragon/human is a lesbian because she likes a female human?!

If that's the case.....is the "female" shinigami who liked Misa from Death Note also a "lesbian"?

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that.....this is dumb.
Apr 21, 2017 7:18 AM

Nov 2009
JustALEX said:
Did OP just say that an anthropomorphized dragon/human is a lesbian because she likes a female human?!

If that's the case.....is the "female" shinigami who liked Misa from Death Note also a "lesbian"?

It depends... do you think she liked Misa in a sexual sense?
Apr 21, 2017 7:27 AM
Mar 2017
JustALEX said:

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that.....this is dumb.

Well she looks like a human in her human form.
She's in her human form 95% of the time.
And she's in love with Kobayashi.
From an outside perspective looking in, it looks lesbian.
Apr 21, 2017 7:33 AM

Oct 2015
That teacher from Yu-gi-oh GX came up to mind first. Not my proudest answer I guess lol.
Apr 22, 2017 8:20 AM

Mar 2012
The running gag in Kyo Kara Maoh is Wolfram falling in love with Yuuri (the MC) and trying to make advanced but Yuuri avoiding it with his "I don't want to marry another guy". I think MAL has a shounen-ai tag for it although officially it's not supposed to be shounen-ai according to the author.

I have no words to express as to how much I truly hate Wolfram though, his cancerous fujoshit fans turn any form of comedy into gay sexual content and have come up with countless guy x guy pairings for the series. The fandom really sucks if you like the series but are not a fujoshi/fudanshi.
Apr 22, 2017 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
_Poochyena_ said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Unfortunately. As far as I know, he got a lot of hate because of it. Not because he's gay. The reason is his whole character and that he's the worst stereotype. ^^" He's effeminate in the worst ways aka really camp, constantly hits on Inuyasha and hates women. The character is very cringeworthy imo.

---

Surprisingly more (well-done) characters than I expected or saw in western TV. However this is a very subjective and biased impression, because I don't read comics or like that usually.
Anyway, many good gay characters (or with very strong queer-baiting vibes) are already mentioned.

Oh and I know there will be this kissing scene in Shinsekai Yori, but I don't know what will happening to them later, because I just had finished the first (breath taking) episode. But this anime will be really great, I think.

I wasn't aware that anyone hated Jakotsu to such a degree. I've kept my love for Inuyasha within a shell and I haven't really spoken to other fans of it, so I have no idea how the rest of the fanbase feels about certain characters.

I for one have always liked Jakotsu- well, maybe not always, but he grew on me. Especially the moments he shared with Bankotsu; I thought those were the sweetest and it made me appreciate his character. I thought him hitting on Inuyasha was hilarious.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of homosexual anime characters, but he's one that doesn't bother me.

Haha, I know. Sometimes it's better, if you aren't communicating with other fans or reading reviews. XD

Anyway, I think it's also based on personal experience, if we like or dislike a character. I guess, it's just because I grew up with gay and other LGBT people surrounding me, even if I weren't close to them, because I was too young and my sister is ten years older than me and had always some gay friends. Plus, there were schoolmates etc... So, I knew them as normal and in no case camp guys and therefore someone like Jakotsu just felt... false. XD
Apr 22, 2017 10:15 AM
Apr 2011
I forgot her name. But there was a lesbian character in Bleach.
Apr 22, 2017 1:08 PM

Mar 2016

Oh, well since you had an authentic firsthand experience, I'll take your word for it. I personally would have never known since I don't come from an area with a large LGBT community.

I haven't spent a lot of time with homosexual people in real life, so most of what I know comes from bad TV stereotypes and the few folks I've met in person.
Apr 22, 2017 1:45 PM

Jul 2015
In Gundam IBO Yamagi is gay, Shino is bi and Atra pushes for a ffm threesome with Kudelia and Mika so I guess she's bi.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Has Kadokawa ever made an Anime or Manga made for children?

Tsubaki5386 - 2 hours ago

4 by Tirinchas »»
20 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

171 by Timeline_man »»
20 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

111 by lucio54 »»
23 minutes ago

» Is Poison Pontaro the most interesting villain in the last decade?

Catalano - Yesterday

9 by mshfqtny »»
25 minutes ago

» If you were asked to briefly describe Japan's popular animation studios, how would you do it?

Swyzen - 36 minutes ago

4 by Theo1899 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.