Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2017 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this was interesting. Witches exists in this show as part of the story.

We got a non-human character as the male protagonist while Zero is introduced as well. Mercenary is quite a badass imo.

I thought Mercenary and Zero's meeting is hilarious.

Zero is a somewhat interesting character. She has a big appetite for soup but at the same time, she can see through Mercenary's "human face", which kinda interesting as it shows that she has unique abilities as a witch. I think from here, they can develop their relationship further.

Overall, decent start.
I also kinda like Zero/Mercenary's character chemistry with the teasing coming from Zero :P
Stark700Apr 10, 2017 7:56 AM
Apr 10, 2017 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
episode 1 complete. fairly good, but not perfect.

+ quick introduction to world settings and main characters

+ voice match character temperament well
koyama works well. some friends feel that mercenary's voice is more fierce(like beast) and less moe. but i don't agree with that.

+ story expand naturally without delay

- storytell pace seems a bit of.. weird somehow?
i'll take notice in later episodes.

- it's very embarrassing when magicians read those magic actions
it reminds me some terrible feelings of watching shitty animes (e.g. Isuca)

- some animation mistake
when they are having their first breakfast together, two barbeque rabbits look like the same size. zero takes one and it fits her mouth well. mercenary takes another and it fits his mouth well too. size of their mouth are not even close.
vellabrownApr 10, 2017 2:05 PM
Apr 10, 2017 10:12 AM

Jul 2014
Looks like it has potential. Didn't go down the too well-worn path of a cute cat girl or an annoying squeak toy animal companion.
Apr 10, 2017 10:19 AM

Dec 2015
This is one of my most anticipated shows of this seasons. The first episode was pretty average, last anime I watched with a non-human MC was Guin Saga, which honestly sucked balls, so I'm really hoping for the best with this one.
joe_g7Apr 10, 2017 11:58 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 10, 2017 10:22 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Great start overall....Was pretty surprised by this

The setting is right up my ally, but the world itself is pretty fucked up with the persecution of witches and Beastfallen but in present day, it's hard to really pick a side since now the Beastfallen and the Witches are even losing their way

The White Cat Mercenary is really interesting though, seeing his backstory was sweet but when you see what he had to go through + what happened to his parents and village, you can't help but feel bad for tragic life, especially because of his own prejudices now (That scene when he killed those bandits tho....This man ripped the leader's head off and was dangling it from his mouth O_O God that was bloody lol)

Lastly, Zero is quite likable herself, and I like how she explained the difference between Sorcery and Magic and further explained things more on the witch's side of things....The dynamic between those two is gonna be really fun (You can tell that they're both kind people at heart too which is sweet), especially since this Grimmoire is her creation so I can't wait to see what happens next as well as to see how powerful she really is

Hopefully they'll be able to somehow create some sort of understanding between all the races one day, I really would like to see that happen
Apr 10, 2017 10:24 AM

Jan 2015
Well done Silver Fox. After the Graphic, I wonder if there's any Plot Twist in this series
A time where Knight fight against Witch, and then the Beast as the third party that "trapped" between the Clash.
Wow, that second "Initiation" for the Contract is so cute, prove what Zero said earlier about the Mercenary.
This "Magic" thing feels like FMA the moment Zero mentioned about "Sacrifice".
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 10, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2014
This was actually really good, loved how cute it was, I love the chemistry the main duo has, as they are both outcasts. The directing is good. This series is going to be quite the treat, eh? Did I mention this was incredibly cute, freaking Zero sleeping on Mercenary was way too cute. I love how Zero makes that smug cat face :3. And to make things even better, the story in interesting. ED is also super cute.
:3
Apr 10, 2017 10:27 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Mascera said:
Well done Silver Fox. After the Graphic, I wonder if there's any Plot Twist in this series
A time where Knight fight against Witch, and then the Beast as the third party that "trapped" between the Clash.
Wow, that second "Initiation" for the Contract is so cute, prove what Zero said earlier about the Mercenary.
Lol yeah same here. When she was explaining the difference I instantly thought of Alchemy for Sorcery and then just regular Magic when she spoke about Magic

That's pretty much what I made of it (Unless I'm horribly wrong still lol)
Apr 10, 2017 10:28 AM

Dec 2014
well that was interesting... I liked it alot
Apr 10, 2017 10:32 AM

Jun 2012
Could be the surprise hit of the season. Much better first episode than I expected.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2017 10:34 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good first episode. The world building is quite depressing. Mercenary is very cool. His chemistry with Zero is funny. He hates witches with a passion because of his past. He went on a rampage on the guys that killed his parents. Zero is likable. Got to learn about magic from her. She's also very skilled. She's also the creator of the book that got stolen. Looking forward to see more.
Apr 10, 2017 10:36 AM

Sep 2014
replace the main brat with the hot witch-bitch and you get AOTS candidate..
but I guess they need to please ((those people)).
Apr 10, 2017 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
great 1st episode
I like it so far and I love the setting
so Zero basically the mother of magic?

but holyshit, just imagine the doujin that'll coming
Apr 10, 2017 10:46 AM

Sep 2013
4/5

Pretty good episode. The meeting with Zero and Merc was pretty fun. Zero is pretty damn adorable but she seems like a formidable witch. If what she said about the Grimoire of Zero is true, she's probably an overpowered witch considering that book can "end the world".

Watching Merc's life up to this point was quite sad and I'm sure it gets even worse. With the way he acts and how merciless he was against those bandits, I'm sure the guy has seen some shit.

Overall, very good premiere. I enjoyed this a lot more than I had anticipated and I was glad my hype for this series was rewarded thus far. The chemistry with Zero and Merc is fun. I also liked how both characters raises a lot of questions about their own personal story that makes me want to return for more.

Good setting with an odd duo of a half man/beast and a witch loli. This could be interesting.

Apr 10, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
Tokoya said:
Mascera said:
Lol yeah same here. When she was explaining the difference I instantly thought of Alchemy for Sorcery and then just regular Magic when she spoke about Magic

That's pretty much what I made of it (Unless I'm horribly wrong still lol)
For now maybe like that, yeah. But there should be another explanation since Zero also said something about the "book" her friend wants to retrieve and the effect if it fall to the wrong hand. That can't be just ordinary magic book.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 10, 2017 10:48 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was good. Beastfallen are looked down upon and have to fight to stay alive. So are witches though but they can easily defend themselves.

It seems like the story is to find the Grimoire of Zero that Zero herself wrote. If it falls into the wrong hands, it's gonna cause a disaster.

Zero and Mercenary are pretty cool together. She's very playful and smart and he can deal with her just fine.
Apr 10, 2017 10:49 AM

Sep 2012
Great start, I like it ^-^
I love that ending <3
I just think the animation is... I don't know, mediocre? But well, I've seen worst animation with worst plot, so no biggies.
Apr 10, 2017 10:52 AM

Jul 2014
For a heavy dialogue start this was quite entertaining, the animation doesnt disappoint as well, will keep watching.
Apr 10, 2017 10:55 AM

Dec 2008
awesome :) it will be my fav anime this season I assume
Apr 10, 2017 11:07 AM

Aug 2008
Looks like this will be the series I look forward to watch the most, if not the only one, this season, although I have three problems with it: kid joining them, MC's VA and Shimakaze sounding weird. Other than that it might be quite enjoyable.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 10, 2017 11:13 AM

Apr 2016
Rengar x Ezreal x Emillia ?

pretty boring first episode...
Apr 10, 2017 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
This is one of the shows I looked forward to and I have no regrets in anticipating for it.

From what I have gathered: In this stage (which is the most obvious one) they would pretty much be against witches, so they persecute then and execute them considering they think they're all evil. This is a typical thing used in fantasy which I like still. What I find a bit interesting is for the "Beastfallen" being created by said witches. I'm pretty curious about that a bit more, aside from the book that Zero is trying to find.

As far for the introduction is concerned this was actually pretty good, from the interactions towards the characters, I actually pretty like Zero and Mercenary. Especially with Zero's personality being one of those types to feel superior, but she isn't really. But she does look like she has superiority but her personality is great nevertheless.

Music was on point as well as the art being pretty decent to good in regards, animation is decent as well which works for the show.

Overall a pretty good start of an episode for this series, hopefully it'll stay like that or well give reveals a bit. Although I wouldn't mind it if they don't explain much and just stay with the chemistry and how these two will develop.

P.S: Zero x Shimakaze fanarts when? (if anyone knows Shimakaze then good, you get what I mean or referenced :V)
Apr 10, 2017 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
I liked the first episode..And Zero is so kawaii...8/10 so far...Big chances to go up :)

Apr 10, 2017 11:27 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
Great start overall....Was pretty surprised by this

The setting is right up my ally, but the world itself is pretty fucked up with the persecution of witches and Beastfallen but in present day, it's hard to really pick a side since now the Beastfallen and the Witches are even losing their way

The White Cat Mercenary is really interesting though, seeing his backstory was sweet but when you see what he had to go through + what happened to his parents and village, you can't help but feel bad for tragic life, especially because of his own prejudices now (That scene when he killed those bandits tho....This man ripped the leader's head off and was dangling it from his mouth O_O God that was bloody lol)

Lastly, Zero is quite likable herself, and I like how she explained the difference between Sorcery and Magic and further explained things more on the witch's side of things....The dynamic between those two is gonna be really fun (You can tell that they're both kind people at heart too which is sweet), especially since this Grimmoire is her creation so I can't wait to see what happens next as well as to see how powerful she really is

Hopefully they'll be able to somehow create some sort of understanding between all the races one day, I really would like to see that happen

You said it. xD

The Beastfallen guy decimating those bandits was just brutal, felt really sad for the guy for what he ended up doing because of his situation.

Very nice introduction overall and I'm really grateful to them for actually caring to explain the differences between Magic and Sorcery, so many shows just tend to completely ignore explaining the nuances in detail. Character dynamic is nice and I find their interactions really funny at times. Story should be good as well so I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Apr 10, 2017 11:33 AM

Nov 2016
The first episode was ok. I think this series has a lot of potential in terms of character interaction. Zero and the Mercenary are quite a nice duo.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2017 11:34 AM

May 2012
Interesting setting and premise. I really feel for the MC, poor guy having no place he can rest without being hunted and discriminated against.

Zero's pretty interesting too, lotsa mystery behind her. Also pretty cute and entertaining to watch and a bit of a teaser.

Liking the chemistry between the Beastfallen guy and Zero.

Really liking this one so far

That ED was pretty cute too with Zero and the MC

Apr 10, 2017 11:35 AM

Feb 2013
This remind me alot about spice and wolf
Apr 10, 2017 11:37 AM

Aug 2013
Loved the start of this episode. Had lower expectation to be honest but that was good.

Apr 10, 2017 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Awww yes. A fantasy anime with a witch? Sign me up!

Zero and Mercenary play off each other fairly well. I like Zero, she's so incredibly smug while also being quite charming!

Apr 10, 2017 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
had no expectations for this but watched it anyway and i'm glad i did :D
first episode was awesome and Zero i likeable

5/5
Apr 10, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2016
Whoa, this came completely out of nowhere for me. I was fully expecting this'd be just about mediocre, but it's surprisingly charming. I really like Zero and the Mercenary's relationship and I have to say, that is one goddamn blessed ED.
Courage need not be remembered... For it is never forgotten.
Apr 10, 2017 12:02 PM

May 2010
So there is 1 through 13 we gonna meet?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 10, 2017 12:04 PM

May 2013
For such a highly anticipated show the first episode felt pretty weak to me. Not liking the animations and character designs so far. And I'm not sure if I want to stick with another witch/magic story, there has been too much of it the last seasons.

It seems that Re:Creators, Rage of Bahamut, Tsuki ga kirei and Alice to Zouroku will be my seasons favorites.
Apr 10, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2012
Confucius said:
So there is 1 through 13 we gonna meet?

Wasn't she putting some books/tomes/grimoires or whatever on what I presume to be graves near the start of the episode? Before she started heading out of the cave

Well, 1-12 anyway since 13 seems to be implied to be alive with the conversation between her and Mercenary
OlemApr 10, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 10, 2017 12:07 PM

Jul 2015
I love the character designs of Zero and Mercenary and I think they make a funny team.
But why did they have to introduce Albus into the story and why will he accompany them? I already hate him.
Apr 10, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2015

You know what, I really wouldn't mind being the floor in this scenario XD. She is cuteeee.

Looking forward to ep 2.
Apr 10, 2017 12:09 PM

Feb 2017
It was okay episode
Apr 10, 2017 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
nurBAW said:
This remind me alot about spice and wolf

I got a similar vibe.

It's nice to see Zero isn't some dumb Tsundre character I half expected. It's an interesting setup and I'm looking forward to more.
Apr 10, 2017 12:35 PM

Nov 2015
Zero reminds me a bit of Maho from Steins;Gate 0.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2017 12:38 PM

Jul 2016
I believe this is the first real bonafide fantasy anime I've seen in around a decade or more (basically since Scrapped Princess, back in 2003). For over ten years, all I've seen is "trapped in another world" shows like Re:Zero, "game-style" fantasy shows like Grimgar, or completely over-the-top ones like Shingeki no Bahamut, where "cool factor" apparently trumps actual char development and world building.

I'll admit I wasn't too optimistic about this show, but I'm so thankful I gave it a chance.

Also @Swagenator how is Zero = Emilia exactly, beyond the hair color and the overall physical appearance? Emilia is your typical boring waifu with no sense of humor, flawless morals and generic cuteness. Zero, on the other hand, does not seem minding to crack a joke now and then (or have her belly growl like a normal hungry person), she doesn't rly seem to have much in the way of morals (she's a witch, after all), and cute as she may look, she felt and behaved in quite the badass way IMO, especially towards the end of the episode.

People should rly make an effort to look past visuals when watching anime.
Apr 10, 2017 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
Good episode. Nice fantasy setting. Interesting with the witch hunts. Reminded me a bit of Hitsugi no Chaika. There was some witch-like girl as well - and some mercs protecting her. And it was that traveling/adventuring-type of anime.

I guess this will be similar. But the chars seemed a lot better. I liked the beast-guys and Zeros personality. Was fun to see them interacting. With this + some action in the future episodes the show should be fun to watch.

(Better than Re:Zero. And that other fantasy this season ... that "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?" seems a lot less interesting going by description on MAL here.)
Apr 10, 2017 12:40 PM

May 2016
Looks like a dull rip-off tbh... Who knows, maybe they will be able to squeeze out some value out of this.

Sep 2016
Well i liked it a lot.

The beastmen seems to be interesting since he suffered from his condition, thought I must say for a guy who feared witches and their powers he was quick to put his faith into one.

Well, I'll keep watching anyway, seems like a good show.
Mar 2016
Oh another Loli to Older man....or cat plot.
Apr 10, 2017 12:56 PM

Sep 2015
Dam not bad at all for a first episode
Apr 10, 2017 12:59 PM

Sep 2016
First episode was good, Enjoyed it <3
Apr 10, 2017 1:01 PM

Jun 2014
It actually wasn't too bad, this could end up being the surprise of the season. This seems pretty interesting so far, so I'm looking forward to more.
thebrentinator24Apr 10, 2017 1:05 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 10, 2017 1:04 PM

Jun 2013
Hmmm, that turned out better than expected.
Decent start
Apr 10, 2017 1:12 PM

Sep 2013
Witch Shimakaze a cute and that beastman mc beastly :)
Apr 10, 2017 1:15 PM

Jan 2016
Been looking forward to this since the trailer, and it didn't disspoint. Zero is cute, i like her alot.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2017

150 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2017

64 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2017

62 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2017

89 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2017

82 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.