Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 1, 2017 6:03 AM
Feb 2017
I'm sure this is a question asked all the time in the forums but I really need advice. Typically I use Kissanime to watch anime. It's great an all but there are many flaws ranging from annoying pop-ups to being stuck using Openload on a certain episode to the website being shut down for weeks at a time. I'm aware you can use CrunchyRoll for free, but from what I've seen, if I want something free it would be easier to use Kissanime because free CrunchyRoll only has limited episodes at 480 resolution. From what I've seen though, premium CrunchyRoll has all the positive aspects of Kissanime (massive library, HD, etc.) without any of the negative aspects. A couple of the biggest issues with Kissanime though is the ads cause my laptop to overheat, especially the popup ads that come up when I pause. Removing ads would be the biggest and most useful purpose of getting CrunchyRoll. So anyone who has or have had CrunchyRoll Premium, would it be worth the money to switch over from Kissanime?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 1, 2017 6:06 AM

Aug 2014
Well first and foremost: Crunchyroll is legal, so that's already a bonus. Crunchyroll streams are probably better quality than Kissanime as well.

So if you can afford it by all means get Crunchyroll, since in the end Kissanime is not really an alternative, given its illegal nature.
Apr 1, 2017 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
Do one thing, pay for the premium Crunchyroll subscription, but..... Watch all your anime on kissanime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 1, 2017 6:08 AM

Feb 2013
i suggest you look up Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and install this script that cleans Kissanime
https://gist.github.com/Juici/4f9ce7f72790337567b4c93f76589b79

or you can just right click -> View Video/Open Video in New Tab on the episodes so you can see just the video and not the rest of the site

as for whether CR is worth that's really up for you to decide..
it has a 1 month trial i think you should try that first
Apr 1, 2017 6:08 AM

Jun 2015
I dont like Crunchyroll, because they only translate the series what are demanded. Sometimes i like them, but only for the good translate and the quality. But ill never pay them, until they translate more series that i like it.

Apr 1, 2017 6:10 AM
May 2015
Even thought I don't have a prerium and I've a lot of times considered it but my biggest issue with it is the content. Like why would I pay for it if it only has like handfull stuff what I want to see. Like they only have mostly newest stuff but are very much lacking in other. Oh and where is One Piece. This one might be wierd one but I used to watch lot of Gintama from there but I found it over subbed.
Apr 1, 2017 6:14 AM

Jun 2014
A better question is "is life worth it?"

If you're still clinging to this mortal coil like a coward as I am, yeah, Crunchyroll is worth it. You can't take those banknotes with you to the Void.

TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Apr 1, 2017 6:15 AM

Sep 2016
1. if you are not in USA, no.
2. even if you are in USA, no.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 1, 2017 6:17 AM

Jan 2013
It makes me feel good knowing I'm supporting the industry even a little bit.

People will say, "you're not doing anything. You're not buying blu-rays blah blah blah" but the fact of the matter is, if you don't have Crunchyroll you aren't supporting the industry at all, and watching anime through Crunchyroll is supporting the industry as much as regular Japanese youths when they watch anime on TV at night.
Apr 1, 2017 6:18 AM

Mar 2014
The Crunchyroll subs for Dragon Ball Super are horrendous. Who came up with the idea to use dub names and dub terms for people who obviously prefer the sub versions over the English dub that is notorious for having a messed up script in the 90s.

I'm not even American and look the huge difference in terminology between the English-speaking world with the rest.
Apr 1, 2017 6:42 AM
Apr 2016
First crunchy roll is legal ok.
Second it has variety and quality series ok.
But what about the regional restrictions.
They don't offer good service in many countries,there are so many countries where there is no legal streaming possible.
I infact Live in India,have an Account but most of them are restricted even funimation is not available nor any manga or dvds are released or licensed expect for a few countries. Hence most fans will access 9anime or kissanime.
Damn the licensors there is more demand in other countries but no supply.
As far the question no many people still complain about crunchy roll it is not with it. If they care about piracy so much then they must consider the complaints and make it available in many more countries.
Krishna_NshettyApr 1, 2017 6:46 AM
Apr 1, 2017 6:47 AM

Jan 2008
Use a VPN, it takes less than a minute to google it, install and use.

Fans don't avoid using CR because of regional restrictions, they do because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free, even if not legal and we all know no higher authority gives a damn about people illegally streaming chinese cartoons for free.
Apr 1, 2017 6:48 AM
Apr 2016
If you care about legality, then crunchyroll is your only real option besides buying entire series.

But if you dont really care about legality then, no, its not worth it, they have a very lacking service and there are lots of series you wont find there.
Apr 1, 2017 6:53 AM

Mar 2017
Better idea? Torrent the animes AND buy the original source (if it's not an anime original). Anime studios believe that their animes are more of advertisement than an adaptation so we need to treat them that way. However, if you do like the anime very much and want to support the studios to push a better adaptation in future, BUY DVDS/BDS rather than subscribing to Crunchyroll. If it's not available in your country then only go for subscription.

Crunchyroll is indeed a legal paid service streaming website but their "services" are SHIT. I usually opt the technique @romagia mentioned for getting through those annoying ads in KA but after being exposed to torrents, I am planning on dropping that site as well.
Apr 1, 2017 7:02 AM

Feb 2013
John_2001 said:
I usually opt the technique @romagia mentioned for getting through those annoying ads in KA but after being exposed to torrents, I am planning on dropping that site as well.
i mostly use KA for seasonals so i don't download a torrent for each episode
and specials which are a bit harder to hunt through torrents
Apr 1, 2017 7:08 AM

Apr 2016
If you live in modern western country then probably yes.
Apr 1, 2017 7:09 AM
Apr 2016
Even if you use vpn to buy pass restrictions,there is the matter of whether it is legal or illegal to do so , no people will opt for pirated sites

And crunchy roll has focus on more of other tv drama shows and they don't care that much for anime section
So if you can get it for free many may go for it.
Apr 1, 2017 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Depends, it's an easy way to support the industry but their catalog is absolutely terrible outside the US.

I prefer to buy merchandise and manga.

PS: If you're having trouble with KissAnime, try 9anime. Much better.
Apr 1, 2017 7:18 AM

Oct 2014
5 dollars a month for unlimited 1080P?

Worth it!

However, CR only has recent popular shows and not even all of them due to licensors having their own stream services.
Plus Dubs are extremely rare on CR.
Apr 1, 2017 7:20 AM

Oct 2014
_Lightsbane said:
Depends, it's an easy way to support the industry but their catalog is absolutely terrible outside the US.

You can always use an VPN to bypass the whole Outside US problem though.
Apr 1, 2017 7:23 AM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
i suggest you look up Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and install this script that cleans Kissanime
https://gist.github.com/Juici/4f9ce7f72790337567b4c93f76589b79

or you can just right click -> View Video/Open Video in New Tab on the episodes so you can see just the video and not the rest of the site

as for whether CR is worth that's really up for you to decide..
it has a 1 month trial i think you should try that first
wow didn't know this. now i have negative reason to not use kissanime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 1, 2017 7:25 AM

Sep 2016
Bourmegar said:
_Lightsbane said:

You can be smart and always use an VPN to bypass the whole Outside US problem though.
or you can always not use it and find better and more efficient alternatives
CrossAnge

Apr 1, 2017 7:31 AM

Jun 2008
It kinda depends on where you live and what shows are available where you live.
Apr 1, 2017 7:42 AM

Oct 2014
GangsterCat said:
Bourmegar said:

You can be smart and always use an VPN to bypass the whole Outside US problem though.
or you can always not use it and find better and more efficient alternatives

Yh buying the DvD-Bluray is still better (no need for annoying internet and better sub) IF you have to money
Apr 1, 2017 12:31 PM

Jun 2007
TitanAnteus said:

People will say, "you're not doing anything. You're not buying blu-rays blah blah blah" but the fact of the matter is, if you don't have Crunchyroll you aren't supporting the industry at all, and watching anime through Crunchyroll is supporting the industry as much as regular Japanese youths when they watch anime on TV at night.
Actually, watching on CR, even for free, does more for the industry than watching on Japanese TV, at least for the latenight anime that comprise the vast majority of what we see over here. The anime studios pay the TV stations for the timeslots, so they don't make anything from commercials or sponsors the way a typical Western TV show would.

Paul said:

Fans don't avoid using CR because of regional restrictions, they do because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free, even if not legal
Indeed, I have a hard time taking the "I use kiss because of region locks / show selection" crowd seriously, when a ~35% plurality of Kiss' traffic comes from the US and Japan (which may be a minority overall, but it's way above those countries' share of the world population), and you have to go all the way to #115* on the Most Popular list to find a show that's not available for legal streaming in the US. Looks like anime piracy is a pricing problem, not a service problem.

*#115 = the Kiss x Sis OVA; you have to go to #131 to find a not-legally-available TV series, Hyouka. Hyouka has <3% of the views of the top show, One Piece, so there's a verrrrrry long tail at work here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Apr 1, 2017 12:33 PM

Apr 2015
Maybe Crunchyroll is worth it for someone who wants to be up-to-date on every series that is realeasing, as it releases.

I will still stand by the mindset that 'illegal' streaming is a better option due to a generally larger range of availability for the not as popular stuff, but ONLY if you are willing to buy merchandise and physical copies of the series and franchises you like. If you are someone who has no desire to spend any money on anime, period, but proclaim yourself as a fan of the medium, I have no patience for you.
InsaneLeader13Apr 1, 2017 12:38 PM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Apr 1, 2017 12:33 PM

May 2015
Crunchyroll is super worth it. It's better then streaming websites like kissanime, 9anime, masterani, and it's much better then torrenting.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 1, 2017 12:35 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I pay for CR cause I like supporting the industry and it's not even a lot of money per month. That said, you really just have to try it yourself and then judge it if it's worth it or not.
Apr 1, 2017 12:58 PM

Feb 2013
WyNdZ said:
Depends on your region. If you're living in a region where most of the shows on Crunchyroll are not available then it's not worth it.
Paul said:
Use a VPN, it takes less than a minute to google it, install and use.

Fans don't avoid using CR because of regional restrictions, they do because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free, even if not legal and we all know no higher authority gives a damn about people illegally streaming chinese cartoons for free.

Which VPN would you recommend? Anyways I'm pretty sure it ticks off a lot of people that most shows are not available in their region. I mean why would they want to support Crunchyroll when it obviously doesn't give a shit about their region? There's also the fact that there's a possibility of them blocking VPN's in the future like Netflix.

You're right, that's the case for most fans but not all.

there is a convenient add-on for chrome called Crunchyroll Unblocker which is easier to use than a VPN
Apr 1, 2017 12:58 PM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
WyNdZ said:
Depends on your region. If you're living in a region where most of the shows on Crunchyroll are not available then it's not worth it.

Which VPN would you recommend? Anyways I'm pretty sure it ticks off a lot of people that most shows are not available in their region. I mean why would they want to support Crunchyroll when it obviously doesn't give a shit about their region? There's also the fact that there's a possibility of them blocking VPN's in the future like Netflix.

You're right, that's the case for most fans but not all.

there is a convenient add-on for chrome called Crunchyroll Unblocker which is easier to use than a VPN
how about convenient anime streaming website instead?
CrossAnge

Apr 1, 2017 1:00 PM

Feb 2013
GangsterCat said:
romagia said:
how about convenient anime streaming website instead?
What do you mean convenient? I watch all my favourite chinese cartoon dubs very conveniently on netflixx :^)^)^)
Apr 1, 2017 1:17 PM

May 2012
Bourmegar said:

Crunchyroll sent me an email this week saying I can add Funimation, which is almost entirely composed of dubs, for another $3/month. This is from Crunchy's new corporate parent, VRV. It also includes some other streaming services that I've not heard of.

https://vrv.co/?subscribe=bundle-combopack&utm_source=lifecycle&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vrv_educational_3_31_2017_premium&referrer=lifecycle_email_vrv_educational_3_31_2017_premium

There is a seven-day free trial.

I've been a Crunchyroll subscriber for a few years and don't expect I'll drop the service. I usually only watch 3-5 series per season, but $7/month is still worth it. I did drop my Funimation subscription when it and CR made their deal some months back, but for $3 I may pick it up again. Funi has a bunch of older shows usually with both subs and dubs like Claymore, Noein, and Death Parade.

SeijiSenseiApr 1, 2017 1:21 PM
Apr 1, 2017 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
SeijiSensei said:
Bourmegar said:

Crunchyroll sent me an email this week saying I can add Funimation, which is almost entirely composed of dubs, for another $3/month. This is from Crunchy's new corporate parent, VRV. It also includes some other streaming services that I've not heard of.

https://vrv.co/?subscribe=bundle-combopack&utm_source=lifecycle&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vrv_educational_3_31_2017_premium&referrer=lifecycle_email_vrv_educational_3_31_2017_premium

There is a seven-day free trial.

I've been a Crunchyroll subscriber for at least the past four or five years and will continue to be one. I usually only watch 3-5 series per season, but $7/month is still worth it.

ah thanks for telling me that, Crunchy hasn't sended me an Email about it though.
probably because VrV is not available in my region..........
Apr 1, 2017 1:23 PM

May 2012
Bourmegar said:
ah thanks for telling me that, Crunchy hasn't sended me an Email about it though. probably because VrV is not available in my region..........

If it's available in your region, you can subscribe directly to funimation.com as well.
Apr 1, 2017 1:23 PM

Jan 2009
paying for legal streaming sites like CrunchyRoll is one of the cheapest way to support the anime industry (the cheapest way is to watch anime on your local TV and watch the TV commercials/ads there)

you have to know that not all anime are available on CrunchyRoll though
Apr 1, 2017 1:26 PM

Mar 2016
Streaming is bad enough, but paying for streaming? Given the recent debacle with their cut in quality I can't see how anyone would think it's worth it.

RainyRai said:
it's much better then torrenting.

I'm praying that this is a joke.
syncrogazerApr 1, 2017 1:29 PM
Apr 1, 2017 2:08 PM

Sep 2016
No, especially if you live outside of the USA. They don't deserve any money for blocking shows in countries. Their library is very limited as well. If you want to support the industry, buy dvd's/bd's or merchandise instead. There is no guarantee that the money you pay for a subscription will be sent to the industry. They could use it to pay for online expenses.

Apr 1, 2017 2:09 PM

Jan 2013
Zalis said:
TitanAnteus said:

Actually, watching on CR, even for free, does more for the industry than watching on Japanese TV, at least for the latenight anime that comprise the vast majority of what we see over here. The anime studios pay the TV stations for the timeslots, so they don't make anything from commercials or sponsors the way a typical Western TV show would.

Paul said:

Fans don't avoid using CR because of regional restrictions, they do because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free, even if not legal
Indeed, I have a hard time taking the "I use kiss because of region locks / show selection" crowd seriously, when a ~35% plurality of Kiss' traffic comes from the US and Japan (which may be a minority overall, but it's way above those countries' share of the world population), and you have to go all the way to #115* on the Most Popular list to find a show that's not available for legal streaming in the US. Looks like anime piracy is a pricing problem, not a service problem.

*#115 = the Kiss x Sis OVA; you have to go to #131 to find a not-legally-available TV series, Hyouka. Hyouka has <3% of the views of the top show, One Piece, so there's a verrrrrry long tail at work here.

I didn't know that. Thanks man.

cwtgcheese said:
Streaming is bad enough, but paying for streaming? Given the recent debacle with their cut in quality I can't see how anyone would think it's worth it.

RainyRai said:
it's much better then torrenting.

I'm praying that this is a joke.

He probably meant on his conscience. Even if he's sheeple and really thinks that way he's still helping the anime community as a whole.

Apoc_Revolution said:
No, especially if you live outside of the USA. They don't deserve any money for blocking shows in countries. Their library is very limited as well. If you want to support the industry, buy dvd's/bd's or merchandise instead. There is no guarantee that the money you pay for a subscription will be sent to the industry. They could use it to pay for online expenses.

Eh... I don't know man. That's a really negative way of looking at it. There's no real way of guaranteeing the merchandise will come back to them either but dvds are a safe bet. Also that route's way too expensive. Even the free watchers help anime with their ad revenue. Crunchyroll can't be downselling their anime because then they wouldn't be able to get any new anime. The fact that their library increases so much each season is proof that money's going back to the producers.
TitanAnteusApr 1, 2017 4:11 PM
Apr 1, 2017 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
Would US Crunchyroll even accept my European credit card, if I decided to use a VPN?

Not that I would ever use a free VPN. They are all shit. And I don't feel like paying for a proper VPN right now, just because of one site.
VPN sub + Crunchy sub? Might as well buy some DVDs...

PS: I used to have AirVPN and it was great.
Apr 1, 2017 8:10 PM

Jul 2014
People still subscribe to crunchyroll after the downgrade quality debacle?
Apr 1, 2017 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
You can use Crunchyroll to get the CIA off your ass.
Apr 1, 2017 8:33 PM

Oct 2016
I wanted to support Anime so I subscribed. But some titles are not available in my country so yeah.. I still use HS lol.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 1, 2017 8:40 PM

Apr 2015
Buy merchs, watch on kissanimu, and burn Crunchyroll

why? Because The Archer Class are really made up of Archers!
Apr 1, 2017 10:32 PM

Mar 2014
If you're the kind who don't want to donate a single cent to anime industry and focuses on getting things that are best bang for your buck. The answer is no. Reason being, many anime, even blu-rays, is free on the internet.

If you're the kind who wants to support the anime industry, the answer is Yes.
Crunchyroll plays a major role when it comes to bringing animes to the outside world of japan. They do translations and a percentage of your subscription fees is paid towards studios.

Buying blu-ray however, will be donating more money towards the specific studio you want, cost of blu-ray disc and the middlemen who sold you the blu-rays. The money that supports the anime industry imho are generally the same amount in both methods. It's more about WHO you want to donate to.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2017 10:38 PM

Apr 2015
Premium Crunchyroll is the best legal streaming service available to North American anime fans. I sincerely wish I had it instead of Funimation.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 2, 2017 5:14 AM

Oct 2014
Apoc_Revolution said:

Implying that DvD's aren't regionlocked.
Even DvDs and Blurays are Regionlocked.

Plus Crunchy has to obey the licensors. So if the licensor doesn't support like lets say Europe, then Crunchy is not allowed to stream it to europe. Or else Crunchy will lose streaming rights.

DvDs and blurays are also mostly Regionlocked due to the formats they use.
Apr 2, 2017 5:15 AM

Oct 2014
Its pretty darn worth it, only 5 dollars for 1080p.
Apr 2, 2017 5:46 AM

Sep 2016
Bourmegar said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

Implying that DvD's aren't regionlocked.
Even DvDs and Blurays are Regionlocked.

Plus Crunchy has to obey the licensors. So if the licensor doesn't support like lets say Europe, then Crunchy is not allowed to stream it to europe. Or else Crunchy will lose streaming rights.

DvDs and blurays are also mostly Regionlocked due to the formats they use.
jokes on you asian dvd store is all very cheap internet rip
my father just brought home 50 movie DVD yesterday lol
CrossAnge

Apr 2, 2017 5:53 AM

Mar 2016
if ads are the problem then just download adblock. pretty simple.
plus torrent > stream. better quality and also offline availability.
screw crunchyroll.
Apr 2, 2017 6:37 AM

Oct 2016
No, i watch everything illegally but i spend 400+ euros a month on merchandise (blu-rays, figures, wall scrolls, etc.) But im not giving a penny to those shitty streaming services
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - Jun 1

25 by TheBlockernator »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - 2 hours ago

5 by Zettaiken »»
11 minutes ago

» Does it REALLY matter if media gets ruined?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

6 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

54 by Hitagi__Furude »»
17 minutes ago

» Has anime ruined your perception of 3D Girls?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

20 by Zakception »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.