Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2016 11:06 AM

May 2016
From what I've seen, every absolutely LOVES Haikyuu. It has an "amazing and emotional storyline". All I see is an average, overrated cliche storyline with yaoi fanservice. I'm not gonna lie, the characters are pretty cute and likeable. I just want someone to tell me why it's so overrated.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 23, 2016 11:53 AM

Dec 2015
because people like their gay shippings that much
no
Oct 23, 2016 11:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well most of the viewers are girls
Oct 23, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2012
where's this "yaoi fanservice" you're speaking of
Oct 23, 2016 12:06 PM

Apr 2015
Lol what yaoi fanservice?
Oct 23, 2016 12:10 PM
Aug 2014
I think it's mainly that the characters are bubbly and so damn likeable, the whole atmosphere is great, it's funny... and people love their gay ships
Oct 23, 2016 1:33 PM
Oct 2016
vonvoyage said:
I think it's mainly that the characters are bubbly and so damn likeable, the whole atmosphere is great, it's funny... and people love their gay ships

it all comes down whether u like to watch a xciting game volley or not
Oct 23, 2016 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
It is very enjoyable especially when Sensei-san explain or asks how does things works or how is a player doing such cool moves, much exciting
Oct 23, 2016 3:28 PM

Mar 2014
Because homosexual volleyball is God's gift to mankind

Also Oikawa is mai waifu
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 23, 2016 5:02 PM

Oct 2014
probably because of the characters of course the storyline for this anime seems like a cliche there are lots of limitations because most of the events that happen,happen in most of the genre but the focus of character drama this series has really sets it apart
Oct 23, 2016 7:20 PM

Apr 2014
i personally watch it because it's entertaining, simple as that. it's fun to watch because it's a sports anime so everything is much more hyped up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2016 8:19 PM

Jul 2015
Show me something that's Yaoi that's MADE by Production I.G'S hands
Sup...
Oct 23, 2016 8:43 PM
Mar 2016
It's adaptation from a manga, from Shonen Jump

Many people like it because they already read their sources and want to watch it in anime format. Simple.
Oct 23, 2016 8:46 PM

Oct 2013
It's just a simple story and has nice animation. It's baby's first sports anime in a lot of cases. Yes it's cliche and very overrated but lots of overrated anime get a huge following of fans who love it blindly. And yeah a lot of fandom is made up of rabid fangirls obsessed with Oikawa or whoever and they stick around just for their fav boy.

I've seen lots of people say this is the only sports anime they've seen so they think it's something special. The character development is nothing special, sympathetic rivals are not new, it's brand of humor is childish (but some people like that). I'd say the only thing that makes haikyuu unique from most shonen/sports anime that it doesn't have any fanservice whatsoever neither for male or female viewers... unless you count boys having nice thighs and Saeko having big boobs as fanservice... it's very vanilla and easily viewable for the general public. It's pretty much 100% pure volleyball and not much else. Not even any SoL breaks in between matches.

I can see why volleyball enthusiasts would like this anime but I think people care more about characters than anything else. Maybe they find them endearing. I read the haikyuu manga just cause I read most shonen jump but I never found it to be anything special so far.
starrybeeOct 23, 2016 8:53 PM
Oct 23, 2016 9:01 PM

Jul 2012
great characters, refreshing storyline, lots of character development, likeable characters, great seiyuu cast, great music, great animations.

i've seen most of sports anime so haikyu definitely isn't my first one but it's actually better than many older series. i rate it as a 9/10. i usually give sports anime a 7 or 8, if that says anything.
Oct 23, 2016 9:23 PM

Nov 2014
yeah what you said it's probably because they think the characters are funny for me i wasn't emotionally attached at all and found it insanely dull and while some of the characters get developed since the characters are very archetypal it makes their character development very predictable and mind numbingly boring.
Oct 23, 2016 10:40 PM

Feb 2010
Everything is just so refreshing, probably the best jump series for me.

But sometimes i see Haikyuu is so overrated (expecially in tumblr, im a tumblr user and seeing Haikyuu everywhere in my timeline makes me sick and bored).

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Oct 24, 2016 3:53 AM

Apr 2014
'Cause it's good, unexpecting, dynamic, and full of volleyball hacks. And the body motions/animation are amazing. Entertaining while didactic. Let people enjoy whatever they like.
LyleliOct 31, 2016 2:34 PM
Oct 24, 2016 4:10 AM

Apr 2011
Even teams that are only in for a few episodes get some pretty good character development and makes you feel for them. It's got some great animation in it and the art style is really interesting. Also has pretty much no yaoi in it so idk what you're talking about on that point
Oct 24, 2016 4:54 AM

Aug 2016
Because Haikyuu is love
Oct 24, 2016 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
Cuz its exemplary of what the sports genre should be: Exciting but not over the top w/ likeable characters.

If you think it's cliche because the context is a bunch of high school kids wanting to win a championship, you've pretty much generalised the entire anime sports genre.

Also it's obvious from your profile that you like edgy stuff and shows which mash a huge range of genres together -> none of which are in haikyuu (besides a bit of comedy). So perhaps it's just not your type of show then hey :P
Light-Oct 24, 2016 5:06 AM
Oct 24, 2016 5:09 AM
Sep 2012
I do think it's overrated, yes. But the sport action and animation is just top notch stuff. I thought the first season was pretty good, not amazing, but S2 was amazing. I don't reckon S3 will be as good, probably similar to S1 was. I actually don't enjoy reading the manga that much, so I guess that pretty much says what I like about it.
Oct 24, 2016 5:14 AM

Sep 2016
shonen jump manga always popular
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 24, 2016 7:35 AM
Oct 2016
Because its magic and you can't hate on magic
Oct 24, 2016 7:42 AM

Jun 2015
No one summoned me?
But either way:

Intense matches, Likable characters and you of course need a favorite in these kind of anime
(mine is oikawa, that's why I wanted Tobio-chan but already taken..) And a good storyline with a lot of GOOD comedy
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 24, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2014
personally... because of kei tsukishima and yamaguchi
Oct 24, 2016 4:11 PM

Jan 2015
I have had thoughts of watching it since it gets great ratings, though I dont care for sports anime. Is this just fan service for girls or is it pretty good?
Oct 24, 2016 4:51 PM

Mar 2016
WisestOne said:
I have had thoughts of watching it since it gets great ratings, though I dont care for sports anime. Is this just fan service for girls or is it pretty good?

There's not really any fanserive, yaoi or otherwise. I think it's good, but I personally like the sports anime genre so the only way to know if you'd like it is to try it out.
Oct 24, 2016 5:48 PM
May 2015
Simple story,good to even amazing animation and very funny sometimes,very epic in some moments
Oct 25, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2016
Ayelise said:
how dare people like something you don't

that's not what i meant :/ i'm just saying it seems pretty overrated for what it is jfc
Oct 29, 2016 6:41 AM

Sep 2009
Not everyone likes it. It's just the people who are willing to stick with this anime for 3 seasons that likes it (and it's not hated enough to get people to rate 1s).
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 29, 2016 1:02 PM
Nov 2015
It has bromance, good drama (sometimes it's melodrama), good animation, satisfying progress of the story.

No Yaoi stuff, most games are balanced, most teams has likable characters with diverse qualities, each character has a role, all people get better by the time, good comedy.

About the animation: a lot of high quality slow motion. Their movements (jumping, running, spiking, tossing ... etc) are well animated so you won't feel like "This move is weird, it's not realistic"

And I repeat, it's not something appealing to girls like Free! I don't consider any character as bishounen. The character design isn't a Shounen-ai like, especially the faces are a little bit weird lol
I can't remember any Yaoi-like scene (Team changing clothes or bathing togheter, any happening lewd scenes boy x boy, literally no gay or interested in gay stuff)

The feels: Epic OST that suit epic scenes. The MC team characters are too likable that you get into their skins (especially during monologues). And some shounen stuff like "It's all about teamwork" and this is the very first time I enjoy teamwork shows. But at the same time, hard work isn't a game winning path, sometimes it betrays you.

In a nutshell: words can't explain why Haikyuu! is so good. It's not the best but it can't be explained by words.
Nov 6, 2016 3:12 AM
Jan 2011
I didn't rate Haikyuu very high but I can't deny it has its appeal. Some of the things I like are the matches-which is fairly realistic and strategic all things considered, and the animation/audio. Character isn't my favorite and I don't ship any of the characters in Haikyuu or consider there to be any romantic undertones gay or hetero at all in this anime. Some sports anime I ship like crazy but Haikyuu I can say from a fujoshi's point of view isn't the most shippable.

I think the high rating of Haikyuu is a result of good timing and nostalgia factor because even I can admit this anime mixes friendship and sports well and is a good reminder of high school life without exaggerating sports too much. The good timing is due to the fact Kuroko no Basket in the past few years exploded in popularity and disgusted/offended/drove off many anime fans, so now that there is a new sports anime that is the polar opposite of Kuroko no Basket in literally every way those people are coming back and spreading word of Haikyuu like its the new gospel written by Jesus.
Nov 6, 2016 4:56 AM

Feb 2016
bruh, there's no yaoi fanservice at all
Nov 11, 2016 8:43 AM

Apr 2011
....How the F.. Did anyone get Yaoi from this show. I feel you may have some underdeveloped feelings you need to address if you think this.
Nov 11, 2016 8:52 AM
Sep 2016
Yeah, I didn't really feel the yaoi fanservice.
But to answer your question... I personally like it because the characters are all different from each other. But regardless, the atmosphere is great. They are all relatable in some way. Just normal good natured dudes. It also helps that it's somewhat realistic and you could actually see how hard they train for their volleyball skills instead of just having supernatural skills coming out of nowhere. It motivates me tbh. Their faces looked really weird to me at first but it's charming now. Good color scheme as well
Nov 11, 2016 8:56 AM

Feb 2015

Where did you even get the yaoi undertones 'cause I do not remember any scenes like this? :DD
Nov 11, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2011
People are mistaken about the yaoi fanservice, but the cute boys with cute interaction appeals a lot to the fujoshi, let's not pretend the fujoshi don't think about CharacterAxCharacterB when they see them interacting.

I've seen people praise the animation, but while the actual animation/frame rate was pretty good, I hate this type of animation, and the same problem occurs for Kuroko no Basket, that, when they're using a 'special move' or some sort, the scene would pause and get dragged on for a while to emphasize on the 'special move', which annoyed me a lot. For example: when Hinata goes up for the spike, that's when Kageyama coordinates with Hinata and sends the ball to where Hinata is gonna swing his arm at, the animation of Hinata jumping is too quick, and as a result, Hinata has to hang on the air for a while, and when Kageyama send the ball over, the ball would travel really fast, result in poor coordination of Hinata's movement and the ball's movement. It's very rigid.

Kuroko no Basket example:

I've always referred to this when I am talking about good body movement:

Although the animation (frame rate) was not ideal, the movement (0:56 - 1:10) looked so smooth, so real, no 'real time' lag or anything, and I suppose it's no surprise that it is supposedly rotoscoped.

I haven't watch the second season yet, but another thing I don't like, which I've already repeated myself well enough, is the comedy mid game, they tried to be (cheesy) inspiring while forcing some jokes down my throat, it just doesn't work, it's mid game for Christ's sake and the opposing team was just doing nothing (off screen, surprise surprise) while the main group does their comedy skit, MID GAME.

Well aside from that, there's a lot to like about the series, whilst cliche. The comedy outside of the game was good, the characters are decent except for the really cliche character development and character dynamic, and sometimes the character dynamic just feel really awkward, like there's no chemistry among themselves.. I agree though it's closer to average than a masterpiece (based on the first season)
ToG25thBaamNov 11, 2016 10:09 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 11, 2016 10:08 AM

Feb 2015
OP, you just said it yourself...

The reason why feminist are quite because Haikyu!!! is airing... A good way to shut them up especially that Keijo is airing too...
Nov 11, 2016 11:08 PM
Aug 2015
first , i dont think it have any Yaoi fan service, i dont even remember any bath scene
second, i watch something not because it hyped, i hear that this anime is good from my friend, and yeah i start watching, im absorbed to the story, it pump my adrenaline i m concluding that this one is good anime.
and why did everyone overhyped it ? because it good.
after all anime is just like other thing, up to the watcher preference.
the first over hyped anime i watch is SAO, and i think, thats indeed over hyped after watching full 24 eps.
second attack on titans, over hyped, i watch it, and yeah thats over hyped, because i can get absorbed to the story. its about preference
Nov 11, 2016 11:15 PM

Sep 2015
animepanties said:
From what I've seen, every absolutely LOVES Haikyuu. It has an "amazing and emotional storyline". All I see is an average, overrated cliche storyline with yaoi fanservice. I'm not gonna lie, the characters are pretty cute and likeable. I just want someone to tell me why it's so overrated.

Yaoi Fanservice?? Don't recall seeing any of that sort. There's really not much ways to make a sports anime Non-cliche unless *cough* you add superhuman powers like Kuroko No Basket. I personally think it's accidental overrated where theres ppl who have never seen sports anime in the past and decide to try Haikyuu as they're first because it's new I guess and is about volleyball which is unique compared to those loads of baseball and soccer anime.
Nov 11, 2016 11:38 PM

Aug 2015
Because it is a very good sports Animu series . but there are many people who still do not know about it.

Nov 11, 2016 11:43 PM

Jun 2016
One of the funniest shows I've watched, love the characters, very realistic gameplay. But because it's realistic, I can see why people don't like it.

Season 2 was sorta shit, though.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Nov 12, 2016 4:04 AM

Jan 2016
Ok here is the deal, Haikyuu is not like your average sports anime. It's refreshing, has great characters and most of them get pretty deep development. None of them are forgettable. The animation isn't like Kuroko or Free, it's unique in it's own way and the soundtracks are great.

And somehow they explain everything so well that it's easy to get the hang of what is happening in the match, even for non Volleyball fans. The matches are also very intresting!
Nov 12, 2016 4:22 AM

Jun 2008
Ayelise said:
how dare people like something you don't
I know. How come this is allowed.

As for the yaio crap the OP stated, there hasn't been any, nor were there any implications of it.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 12, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2015
LOL it's one of a few shows I've watched with little to almost zero fan service, let alone containing Yaoi. Haikyuu is simply likeable because it's an emotionally intriguing and well-written series. Get your facts straight people.
Nov 12, 2016 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
animepanties said:

I have it rated 7-8 most of the time, but I'll try to explain, since even I often think it deserves better rating than what I give it.

Characters are incredibly fun and, more importantly, engaging enough so a person would cheer for them. There are no douches, there are no clumsy, stupid idiots that annoy you (Hinata had a few instances in the beginning, but it was never overused).
They are all likeable, it's fun seeing them learn, it's fun seeing their banter, it's fun seeing them compete against each others while being best friends at the same time.

Story: Yes, overused is definitely nice description. However, here's the thing with Haikyuu, also Kuroko, their opponents are interesting, strong and, hell, likeable as well. There were many that loved KnB GoM characters better than Seirin players, myself included.
Haikyuu follows the same pattern, their opponents get character development, although it's small, it's enough so they're not just animations in background, you get their names, their motivations, their characteristics. And that's fun.

Then you get to see the clash of protagonists and opponents, you know a lot about both, you like both, add in some "super-moves" for flashy effects, impossible to pull stunts for shock factor and voila, it's a winner.

Do I think it's top 10 quality anime? Hell no.
Is it great? Fuck yeah.
Nov 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Jun 2008
It's funny, almost all of the characters are likeable, the matches are exciting.
I can think of plenty of reasons.
Nov 12, 2016 1:02 PM

Mar 2014
What exactly is average about this anyway? The execution alone (visuals, music etc) make it stand above plenty of other anime and it's one of the most important things for sports anime IMO
Nov 12, 2016 2:31 PM
Dec 2015
vriskabell said:
One of the funniest shows I've watched, love the characters, very realistic gameplay. But because it's realistic, I can see why people don't like it.

Season 2 was sorta shit, though.

Hmmm?I am surprised you didn't like season 2. The results of their hardwork were finally starting to show, and we got deeper into the characters' stories and personalities. All those characters that were supposed to be 'side characters', or 'antagonists', turned out to be normal people, and not just untouchable superhumans. Also, it was then that they started to set foot for the development of characters other than Hinata and Kageyama.
Also, Nekoma and Fukurodani got introduced.

And to OP, I will tell you why I love Haikyuu!!: the characters are all normal people that are trying to acheive something. They all have different personalities, different goals, different abilities, etc...yet, they're all reunited by volleyball. Some of them aren't even passionate about it, and they're still part of the show. It's incredible how the characters keep growing better and stronger, and how they all have different ways to cope with losses. Some of them never give up, and have strong mental fortitude, and some of them are weak-willed. All of them are still trying to grow. They sometimes hit walls, and sometimes it's over for some of the characters. They lose, they win, they learn their limits, but they also learn their strengths.
The development and growth....The way the story is told, and how we catch a glimpse on every side character from a flashback during a game, or have their backstories revealed to us gradually. Their backstories feel so....human. They're not necessarily tragic, they show how human those characters are, and how they can get affected by things, and how differently they act towards certain events.
Right now, it's chapter230 inthe manga, and you won't believe how incredible it feels to see one of the characters have FINALLY achieved something. The build up is huge, and it makes you feel SO proud when you see those VERY human characters evolving, whom you can relate to a lot, or sympathize with, and love.
This manga/anime give me indescribable feelings. It's funny, emotional, motivational and just so thrilling to read and watch.
Oh, and I also have lots of ships in this anime, if you ever ask. I hardcore-ship them, but honestly if this is a reason for putting off such an incredible anime, then I will tell you you'd be missing on a lot of hype if that is the only reason.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2016

117 by Carlyhild98 »»
Jul 7, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2016

294 by yezzy-Unofficial »»
Jun 11, 1:23 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2016

213 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 31, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2016

129 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 31, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2016

129 by iamsnakeuu »»
May 30, 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.