Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 15, 2016 3:07 AM

Sep 2016
dm106 said:
GangsterCat said:
someone needs to kill tsukamoto before next week

I bet you said the same thing about Tusk in Cross Ange. Wow you have bad luck picking "yuri" shows, lol.
lol tusk is part of queen ange's harem. she is the boss.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 15, 2016 3:47 AM

Nov 2007
shanimebib said:

It's almost criminal how some of us refuse to acknowledge that Kumiko might have even the tiniest of feelings for Shuuichi after everything they have shown in the anime.

hmm,like feelings of disdain or something you mean?
because that's what i see in the anime
Dec 15, 2016 4:41 AM

Mar 2015
This episode is original, and the writer is from love live. I don t understand
Dec 15, 2016 4:50 AM

Sep 2013
Bl4ckR4bbi7 said:

I think she's giving respect to Taki's wife

But it's still really weird, in a japanese point of view. Reina's VA was even wondering how it got okayed. It's a big deal in japan, she doesnt personally know her. Futaba freaked out after watching the episode, they are calling Reina weird, autistic, stalker, creepy etc. Way to ruin my best girl Kyoani -_-.

zombie_wolf said:

This episode is crap. Only good thing about it is loli reina.
I am a kumirei shipper but even If I'm not, I doubt I'll like this episode. Making an original episode just to show how obsessed a 15 yr old girl to her 34 yrs old crush. So creepy! And I've been liking Reina's personality, now I just dont know.
Erika___Dec 15, 2016 5:03 AM
Dec 15, 2016 6:46 AM

Mar 2015
Erika___ said:
Bl4ckR4bbi7 said:

I think she's giving respect to Taki's wife

But it's still really weird, in a japanese point of view. Reina's VA was even wondering how it got okayed. It's a big deal in japan, she doesnt personally know her. Futaba freaked out after watching the episode, they are calling Reina weird, autistic, stalker, creepy etc. Way to ruin my best girl Kyoani -_-.

zombie_wolf said:

This episode is crap. Only good thing about it is loli reina.
I am a kumirei shipper but even If I'm not, I doubt I'll like this episode. Making an original episode just to show how obsessed a 15 yr old girl to her 34 yrs old crush. So creepy! And I've been liking Reina's personality, now I just dont know.

the curse of kyoani s second season, chuunibyou, haruhi suzumiya, k-on....
Dec 15, 2016 9:57 AM

Nov 2007
Black_wind said:
shanimebib said:

It's almost criminal how some of us refuse to acknowledge that Kumiko might have even the tiniest of feelings for Shuuichi after everything they have shown in the anime.

Yes. And that was the reason why she was taken aback completely when she couldn't add 1 + 1 to get a 2 after Shuuichi asked her for her company at the Agata Matsuri.

--------------------------------------------------------

Kumiko's Character and What Reina Means to Her:

We also have to realize that Kumiko has a personality that makes her act cold towards those who are in reality very close to her. This was also the reason why I pointed out her sudden change of attitude towards Reina in episode 8. No one seemed to have picked it up because it was very short. This got confirmed when she blurted out how Reina can be really high-maintenance (mendokusai, literally "troublesome" or "pain in the neck"). The shift of attitude towards Reina doesn't mean Kumiko thinks lightly of her. On the contrary, Reina has become so close to her that she started to treat her like those who are really close to her (just like Shuuichi and Mamiko). The Reina of episode 8 of season 1 and the Reina of episode 8 of season 2 are two different Reina to Kumiko. The first Reina was someone Kumiko admired from a lower standing. The second Reina is someone Kumiko cherishes from the same standing.

Take on the Anime compared to the Novel:

Despite of the changes made in the anime, the main plot line didn't change in the anime. So, I liked it. I think some parts were really well done. Like Kumiko meeting Taki-sensei in a flower store and getting a ride, or Reina visiting Taki-sensei's wife's grave. These moments made the story more anime like in my opinion.

The Green-Light:

The green-light Tomoyo and Chika talked about in the magazine WAS NOT establishing Reina's feelings towards Taki-sensei, or even her visiting the grave as some of us here are mentioning. It was the moment when Kumiko held her hand and said she would be rooting for her and put a lid to a type of relationship fans wanted to see them in. Anyone who has followed their radio and seiyuu-corner would know because Chika herself was really invested in this relationship.

Off Topic:

I think Chika's role as Reina prompted the production team of Kuzu no Honkai to give her the role of Hanabi. I have to say I am really impressed how far she has come as a voice actress. From bit part roles of Taichi's girlfriend (ex) to Arata's neighbour in Chihayafuru, she has now given the voices of Merry, Chaika and Reina. Reina fans should really look forward to Hanabi for reasons more than one!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 15, 2016 2:48 PM

Sep 2013
zombie_wolf said:

the curse of kyoani s second season, chuunibyou, haruhi suzumiya, k-on....

Oh right, they were the ones who created Endless Eight after all lol. I should've seen this coming.
Dec 15, 2016 2:59 PM

Nov 2016
That was a very good episode. I'm glad that Asuka is finally back in the game after last week's episode so they can get back on track. I was concerned about Reina as we find out about why she was upset with Kumiko. I was surprised that Kumiko and Reina had met back up at the same mountain during S1 but with Reina having issues instead of Kumiko. It felt very nostalgic to me. I had a feeling it had to do something about with Taki-sensei and his wife. I kind of felt sorry for her though she wanted to ask about what was her personality like when his wife first met him. It never occurred to me that back in her childhood that was how she had admired him. I think that's why she was inspired to play that piece just for him only. Reina looked very cute back there in her childhood days. :3

Anyway, the scene where she visited Taki-sensei's wife grave was not something I would expect her to do. But I do believe that she came there for, not just for herself, but providing closure to her feelings for him as well as thanking his wife to do their best competing for the Nationals. She really needed that closure and that was necessary for her to keep going. The trumpet solo is probably the most relaxing piece to hear as it sounds more lively and comforting that she has the courage to move on and getting prepared as they head for getting gold.

I'm still enjoying Hibike Euphonium and I'm glad things are moving at a steady pace here and the visuals are so stunning with the lovely scenery with the beautiful BGM pieces. Looking forward to next week's episode! :)
Dec 15, 2016 3:58 PM

May 2015
Pretty much an episode fully focused on Reina and her feelings for sensei. Seems like she's pretty much settled now and determined to win the gold. I'm rooting for her!

Great episode. Little Reina was so freaking adorable <3.

Dec 15, 2016 7:36 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode in my opinion. I see a few young solipsists don't like Reina's reactions or her love for Taki-Sensei. Ha ha ha. I find her reactions both plausible and natural.
Dec 15, 2016 11:57 PM

Nov 2007
Episode 12 Preview shots are out!

Episode Title: Saigo no Konkuuru (Last Contest)

Episode Synopsis: It's finally here — tomorrow is the Nationals of the brass band competition. The brass band club are staying near the venue in preparation for the tournament as they hold a practice session for the final time. On that night, Kumiko sneaks out of her futon without falling asleep...

Aww~ Reina is seen playing cards with Midori and Hazuki! ❤

Edit: Btw, the title can be read as Last Competition as well, which is basically the same thing as I have put above. Note that previously it was leaked to be Saigo no Konsaato, but it is not.
shanimebibDec 16, 2016 12:06 AM
Coronavirus.
Dec 16, 2016 2:14 AM

Jun 2013
Not gunna lie kinda weird, but hopefully reina's feelings are resolved
Dec 16, 2016 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
This time also, the narrative is well articulated throughout the script or narrative, rhythm also seemed slower than normal, perhaps to give us good in mind, the state of mind of the characters. Nothing sensational but still the same calm tone, however, is good storytelling. The graphics are superb, enjoyable soundtrack. Only fault I would point out, is the lack of originality in the designs, Reina as Kumiko, as children and adolescents, present no major difference in the character design level, oh well!
Dec 16, 2016 6:45 AM
Dec 2008
Guess the butthurt was coming from the expectation that Reina will get over Taki-sensei and get it on with Kumiko in this episode. *shrugs* I personally don't think there will be any romantic conclusion in this adaptation, and Kyoani won't stop the yuri bait train simply because of this. So you'll still get your yuribait moments and brow-raising promo art, nothing will change really. Kyoani will milk this pairing dry.
Dec 16, 2016 9:55 AM

Sep 2015
Good not great episode at least for me. Some things I really liked, such as Reina and Kumiko returning to the mountain, the flashbacks to little Reina and Sapphire and Katou finally doing something. They've really been short sticked this season. But too much of it was just rehashing things we already knew from Reina's perspective. It was a well set up and established motivation of Reina's to explore and I think it will pay off as now she has her big reason to go gold at Nationals. But compared to how smooth and full of forward momentum the rest of the second half of the season has been I think this one fell a little short.
Dec 16, 2016 10:03 AM

May 2012
Gladly that drama was over quick. I love this series but Reinas obsession with Taki always bothered me. And now she got angry because Kumiko didn't tell her about Takis private life? Goddammit it's none of your business.
Dec 16, 2016 12:14 PM

Sep 2012
gnodab said:
Guess the butthurt was coming from the expectation that Reina will get over Taki-sensei and get it on with Kumiko in this episode. *shrugs* I personally don't think there will be any romantic conclusion in this adaptation, and Kyoani won't stop the yuri bait train simply because of this. So you'll still get your yuribait moments and brow-raising promo art, nothing will change really. Kyoani will milk this pairing dry.

The thing is the yuri fans expect it to go beyond yuri bait. They want more of course.
Dec 16, 2016 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:

Black_wind said:

shanimebib said:

Yes. And that was the reason why she was taken aback completely when she couldn't add 1 + 1 to get a 2 after Shuuichi asked her for her company at the Agata Matsuri.

"Almost criminal" is suggesting that a girl means "Yes" when she says "No".

That's what the creators of this series have been suggesting with their female protagonist. By having Kumiko tell -to anyone who asked and her cactus- that she doesn't see her long time neighbour as a potential romantic partner. Throughout the series they've had her insisting that she prefers to remain friends with Shuuichi but they've also dropped near continuous hints that Kumiko can't be trusted to say or do what she really wants. They've been suggesting that her family friend knows her better than she knows herself. They're irresponsibly suggesting that her repeated insistence that she doesn't want him as a lover can be safely ignored.

Taking her word for it and assuming that Kumiko has been sincere is not "almost criminal" but -on the contrary- the legally prudent interpretation. Assuming a girl means what she says is the course of action less likely to result in criminal consequences than acting on "misunderstood" signals.

Edit:
While on the subject of "almost criminal". Why is the only single mother given screen time in the series the only character who has resorted to physical violence against an other? Asuka's single mother is portrayed as mentally unstable and physically abusive. Is there some wider point being made with her?
removed-userDec 16, 2016 8:40 PM
Dec 16, 2016 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
VersoSciolto said:
shanimebib said:

Black_wind said:

shanimebib said:

"Almost criminal" is suggesting that a girl means "Yes" when she says "No".

That's what the creators of this series have been suggesting with their female protagonist. By having Kumiko tell -to anyone who asked and her cactus- that she doesn't see her long time neighbour as a potential romantic partner. Throughout the series they've had her insisting that she prefers to remain friends with Shuuichi but they've also dropped near continuous hints that Kumiko can't be trusted to say or do what she really wants. They've been suggesting that her family friend knows her better than she knows herself. They're irresponsibly suggesting that her repeated insistence that she doesn't want him as a lover can be safely ignored.

Taking her word for it and assuming that Kumiko has been sincere is not "almost criminal" but -on the contrary- the legally prudent interpretation. Assuming a girl means what she says is the course of action less likely to result in criminal consequences than acting on "misunderstood" signals.

Let me be clear here. First and the foremost, it has nothing to do with her being a "girl". So let's not go to that debate whether it has anything to do with our protagonist being a girl because your wording sounded like as if we are discussing "suggestive" girls here.

Secondly, it's her personality. And that's how the author has created her persona. In Takeda's words "Kumiko has a bit of a bothersome personality, so there needed to be a character that looked out for her by her side." That character could have been anyone in her novel. It could have been Reina. Or Hazuki. Or Midori. Or Asuka. She decided to make it Shuuichi because she created him as a "convenient fellow". One who would follow up through Kumiko's harsh treatment and wouldn't leave her side even after he's given cold shoulders time and again.

From the onset of the story, it has been made clear that Kumiko's personality is such she does the exact opposite of what's on her mind. She would say she realized that it was just a myth that her breasts would miraculously become bigger once she became a high schooler yet she still longed for it to happen. She would tell Reina that she believed Kitauji would go to the Nationals when she didn't think they had reached that level yet. She would tell her sister that she wouldn't miss her when she knew she would miss her.

It's not that her friends know her better than herself. It's her contradicting personality that makes it seem like her friends know her better than herself. Their assumptions are based on how they see her. Be it how Hazuki sees her as a reserved person, or how Reina sees her as a terrible person, or Asuka sees her as a playing-safe person.

The failure to understand her character is one thing. Suggesting that it means a girl means "Yes" when she says "No" is another. We are not discussing an ecchi or a hentai anime here. We are discussing one of the most well thought out slice of life stories in recent times.
Coronavirus.
Dec 17, 2016 5:21 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful episode with Reina. Fortunately, she reconciled rapidly with Kumiko, but I understand that she was angry. She was very courageous to ask Taki-sensei about his wife.
The animation was perfect and little Reina is the cutest
SakaitsuDec 17, 2016 7:09 AM
Dec 17, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2008
My bother is not the lack of yuri ending to be honest, let's put that aside for now. When I started to watch the series I didn't even know what I'm going to be prepared for.

It's that, from the looks of it, we have another series that puts women to their places, saying "without men to motivate you/working towards for as a goal, you would be nothing" as a core message. Like Reina wants to become special, but not for herself, but for Taki. Or Asuka started playing euphonium because of her dad and her plotline revolves around her wanting badly to meet him. And from what I've seen from the spoilers, it's the same for Kumiko as well. They're the main characters, so the series pretty much revolves around them. As much as I adored the series so far, it kind of invalidates everything that happened for me.
gomennasaiDec 17, 2016 10:09 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Dec 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Sep 2012
gomennasai said:
My bother is not the lack of yuri ending to be honest, let's put that aside for now. When I started to watch the series I didn't even know what I'm going to be prepared for.

It's that, from the looks of it, we have another series that puts women to their places, saying "without men to motivate you/working towards for as a goal, you would be nothing" as a core message. Like Reina wants to become special, but not for herself, but for Taki. Or Asuka started playing euphonium because of her dad and her plotline revolves around her wanting badly to meet him. And from what I've seen from the spoilers, it's the same for Kumiko as well. They're the main characters, so the series pretty much revolves around them. As much as I adored the series so far, it kind of invalidates everything that happened for me.

Why do you point out that they're males? What if the message is sometimes you need another person to help you work towards a goal and them being guys was just coincidental. I find it stupid how writers nowadays would have to do a balance between both genders otherwise feminists like you would be butt hurt about something so small.
Dec 17, 2016 2:31 PM

Apr 2016
gomennasai said:

It's that, from the looks of it, we have another series that puts women to their places, saying "without men to motivate you/working towards for as a goal, you would be nothing" as a core message. Like Reina wants to become special, but not for herself, but for Taki.

MISTER Taki took the job and wants the Gold not for him, but for his dead wife. It also looks like after 5 years he is not able to move on, he's just another guy who is nothing without a woman (even dead) to motivate him.

Or Asuka started playing euphonium because of her dad and her plotline revolves around her wanting badly to meet him.

Yeah, poor Kumiko, like Asuka, she started to play euphonium because of someone else. oh! a sister? a girl? whaaaaaaat? I don't know what the novelist was thinking! It's pretty obvious it should have been a brother, a father or any other boy. It's so strange or even groundbreaking? that in the end, a girl could inspire another girl, isn't it?

Your points are not valid.

Nevertheless I agree with the "no means no", and that's why the spineless, passive but nice and respectful guy of this anime stayed so far in the friend zone .. or maybe he's not even there. Kudos to Shuuichi (and the novelist) for respecting this notion.
Dec 17, 2016 3:51 PM

May 2010
Wow this episode went by pretty fast. I thought this arc was gonna be longer but nah. I feel like Reina x Taki isn't gonna happen (I have seen a picture of Reina with short hair and we all know when anime girls cut their hair short) It's more of a dream first love than a practical one. It's sad and it burns, but that's how it is. I love how cool and collected Reina handles it tho. She's really good at handling her feelings. And Kumiko is by her side no matter what (ofc the vice versa applies as well)
Dec 17, 2016 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
gomennasai said:
Or Asuka started playing euphonium because of her dad and her plotline revolves around her wanting badly to meet him.

Yeah, poor Kumiko, like Asuka, she started to play euphonium because of someone else. oh! a sister? a girl? whaaaaaaat? I don't know what the novelist was thinking! It's pretty obvious it should have been a brother, a father or any other boy. It's so strange or even groundbreaking? that in the end, a girl could inspire another girl, isn't it?

Your points are not valid.

gomennasai said:
And from what I've seen from the spoilers, it's the same for Kumiko as well.

Thought I should add to @Ysad_Ziwezhan's reply here.

Let's not forget about another thing. And pretty import too because a certain boy also picked up wind instrument because of certain two sisters. I think it's needless to put this under spoiler tag right now because I am now 100% certain it won't be covered in the anime other than the scene from the opening.

I can write ten pages worth of content covering Shuuichi and Taki but I won't do that. Small things that we ignore or don't even care to notice. Small things like Shuuichi stepping up towards Kumiko seeing her fretting before the Kyoto competition to give her words of encouragement. Small things like how Taki falls asleep looking at the picture of his deceased wife.

The hate the two male characters get in this anime makes my eyes roll from time to time.
Coronavirus.
Dec 17, 2016 6:05 PM

Apr 2016
shanimebib said:

The hate the two male characters get in this anime makes my eyes roll from time to time.

Just to be clear, I just pointed out that the male characters in Hibike weren't without flaws and far from being better presented than the women. It's just another perspective because I think the point of gomennasai above in this thread is just not fair.

As for VersosCiolto's last remark, it's true Asuka's mother is a single mom and happens to be one of the "worst" character of the show, on the other hand in Kumiko's family, one could assume that Mamiko's failure is the result of the familial pressure and where does this pressure comes from? Mostly from the father, so in the end it's a male who failed to properly listen and help his child to find its way. Therefore, one could see that as a critic of the traditional patriarchal family model (if one really wants to read deeply in it) Finally, Mamiko decides alone her own path. Yes women can do that, so is this story telling really something like "we have another series that puts women to their places, saying "without men to motivate you/working towards for as a goal, you would be nothing" "?

NO.
Wrong battlefield.

As for Reina, she sure might want to impress or please the one she loves, like anybody, but along the many moments where she talked about her motivation for the trumpet, what came out as explanation was the ambition to be the best, "to be special" and not "to be special for someone". By the way, remember, she does not play trombone like Taki Sensei.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 17, 2016 6:16 PM
Dec 17, 2016 8:35 PM

Nov 2007
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
shanimebib said:

Just to be clear, I just pointed out that the male characters in Hibike weren't without flaws and far from being better presented than the women.

As I have mentioned, Takeda described Shuuichi as a "convenient fellow" which is by no means a compliment. She also described Taki-sensei being someone "who's poor at handling students, so he still has a way to go as an adviser. He feels like… he's a person who's very blunt and will say harsh things to express."

This also goes to show about their relationships as well, Taki-sensei couldn't get over the loss of his wife and Shuuichi, despite given the cold shoulder time and again, wouldn't step back when he sees the girl he likes is hurting (evident through Mamiko's story).

I completely agree that they are flawed. One of the many qualities of the story is that not one character in the anime is flawless. This is why the anime seems like a genuine peek at how human relations could be so often fascinating and sometimes mysterious. And the story does that with characters that are easily identifiable in real life.

Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
As for Reina, she sure might want to impress or please the one she loves, like anybody, but along the many moments where she talked about her motivation for the trumpet, what came out as explanation was the ambition to be the best, "to be special" and not "to be special for someone". By the way, remember, she does not play trombone like Taki Sensei.

But her wanting "to be special" stemmed from Taki-sensei's words, so Taki-sensei does play a significant role on that so in a sense she wanted to be special not "for someone" but "because of someone". It's one of those vague areas in the story. It's very difficult to colour it black or white. But that's my opinion.

On the same thing, notice how Kumiko ended up playing Euphonium when she wanted to play Trombone. And on the same thing, Kumiko couldn't add up when she found out that Mizore played for Nozomi's sake. And she became so confused she went on and confirmed with Reina if she played for anyone. The irony is, Kumiko herself started playing for the sake of her sister — Mamiko. This in itself can make the whole Reina plays for herself notion to more inclined towards "because of someone". Just like in case of Kumiko. And like in case of Shuuichi.
Coronavirus.
Dec 18, 2016 12:08 AM

Jun 2013
Reina: "Why didn't you tell me about Taki-sensei?"
Kumiko: "Because regardless of whether I knew or not, it's not my business to spread around someone else's personal life." <--- this was the correct answer.

And if we're talking realistically here, a good friend would not support Reina going after a teacher. Maybe she was just telling her what she wanted to hear? Anyway, I here that a lot of this episode was anime original, so chalk it up to the writers feeling like they needed to give Reina more screen time, I guess. Anime original is fine, but not if it detracts from the strong, well-written bond Kumiko and Reina have had up to this point.

However, based on the second half, it seems like Reina is finally realizing her obsession with Taki is a childish fantasy. Hopefully in the last 2 episodes we see that she's indeed moved on, as the ending of the episode seems to indicate.

One of the strongest episodes visual-wise, but weakest of the season story-wise.
-Trippwire-Dec 18, 2016 12:37 AM
Dec 18, 2016 4:38 AM

Jun 2013
That was a good ass episode, this show is seriously pushing for a 10/10

The whole time they were up on the mountain I was hoping that Reina wouldnt touch Kumiko's nose again. Thank god she didnt or I would have vomited. No idea why that just looks so gross

Glad that Reina finally got clued in on things, hopefully she can give up on the dude and get with Kumiko already. Nobody can replace a dudes dead wife especially if he still loves her.
Dec 18, 2016 12:01 PM

Oct 2011
I thought Kumiko handled the way Reina got mad at her about not telling her about Taki-sensei's wife. Personally, if I was Kumiko I would have been tired of Reina's infatuation with Taki-sensei, since obviously her feelings cannot be reciprocated, and I would have gotten mad at her for having the audacity to get mad at me about witholding information that could hurt her.

Personally, I think Reina's feelings are very immature and for all of the yuri bait going on this season, this episode was very out of place and did not have a build up to what was going on with Reina and her feelings. Ive lost interest in Reina's character, plus I agree that it was very weird for her to go to Taki-sensei's wife's grave, she doesnt even know her and it kind of goes a little far past loving Taki-sensei to be THAT interested in his wife and what she was like.

When will it go back to concert band focus haha

Forum icon by Yandere

Dec 18, 2016 9:56 PM

Jun 2012
Man Im hoping Reina can get the sensei end, if she ends up missing kumiko and reina might end up gay.
Dec 19, 2016 5:43 AM

May 2011
Kyoani has done too much of a job yuri baiting Kumiko, with Reina, Asuka, etc.

Throwing a male love interest at her now, with only two episodes left, would come off contrived.

While yes, in the first season, there was some Shuuichi moments. This season he's nothing more than a fringe character with less screen-time than the blonde bitchee trumpet girl.

How the hell are you going to make a relationship out of that, which won't seem forced.

I really think Kyoani is going to edit out any serious relationship for a more ambiguous "it's about the band, winning" story line. It's Kyoani's style. They're chickenshits when it comes to relationships in their anime. They like to keep it non-committal and cute as possible.
Dec 19, 2016 5:50 AM

May 2009
12's PV
Dec 19, 2016 8:02 AM
Dec 2008
lol just because these two appear in a PV together and are in good terms now doesn't mean Kyoani are shipping them together. Take your shipping googles off.
Dec 19, 2016 12:16 PM
Sep 2009
^What are you talking about? Talking to a childhood friend in bored voice is very romantic.

Honestly, much rather have team winning ending than half assed romance. An ending that this series was meant to have since it's about music band.
Dec 19, 2016 12:23 PM

Sep 2012
gnodab said:
lol just because these two appear in a PV together and are in good terms now doesn't mean Kyoani are shipping them together. Take your shipping googles off.

Why don't you tell that to the many yuri fans mad about this interaction? This season won't have a romantic ending at all but know this that they both got a canon ending in the novel where as the yuri couple didn't at all. Not in the adaption nor in the original source besides bait.
Dec 19, 2016 2:52 PM

Jan 2013
gnodab said:

He... he didn't say anything though. He just posted the PV. He didn't make any statements about it.

kitten320 said:
^What are you talking about? Talking to a childhood friend in bored voice is very romantic.

Honestly, much rather have team winning ending than half assed romance. An ending that this series was meant to have since it's about music band.

NOW you say that. Of all the times now is when... you know what nvm.

Cirris said:
Kyoani has done too much of a job yuri baiting Kumiko, with Reina, Asuka, etc.

Throwing a male love interest at her now, with only two episodes left, would come off contrived.

While yes, in the first season, there was some Shuuichi moments. This season he's nothing more than a fringe character with less screen-time than the blonde bitchee trumpet girl.

How the hell are you going to make a relationship out of that, which won't seem forced.

I really think Kyoani is going to edit out any serious relationship for a more ambiguous "it's about the band, winning" story line. It's Kyoani's style. They're chickenshits when it comes to relationships in their anime. They like to keep it non-committal and cute as possible.

Eh? But Kyokai No Kanata and Full Metal Panic disagree.

The only reason Haruhi didn't get a romantic end is because it's adapted from a light novel. Light Novels are long as fuck, and the romantic conclusion's normally at the end.
Dec 19, 2016 3:05 PM

Dec 2016
I'm glad Kumiko was able to sort things out with Reina.

Now we wait for the nationals. Asuka meeting her father is something I want to see.
Dec 19, 2016 3:12 PM
Dec 2008
My bad. I was actually referring to the previous post b4 the PV. I find this overblown reaction whenever Shuichi shows up to be silly.
Dec 19, 2016 4:22 PM

Sep 2012
gnodab said:
My bad. I was actually referring to the previous post b4 the PV. I find this overblown reaction whenever Shuichi shows up to be silly.

Yeah because the same doesn't happen with Kumiko and reina. Oh, fucking wait.... it does. You do realize the reaction existed because of yuri fans in the first place? People say those things because they can get good reactions from yuri fans because they know they're easily baited and it clearly works. Yuri fans always overreact whenever there's a guy involved so the people take advantage of that and have fun. No one honestly think Shuichi will win in the end. It'll have a open ending for sure.
Dec 19, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
Nice to switch focus to Reina. Good episode. I don't think they'll win gold though. Doesn't seem like enough focus on the technical aspect of the band, it's all been on character drama.
Dec 19, 2016 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
TitanAnteus said:
Cirris said:
They like to keep it non-committal and cute as possible.

You forgot to mention CLANNAD AS, Chuunibyou, Tamako and Kanon. All had definite love conclusions in the stories.

FlamingMangos said:
gnodab said:

Yeah because the same doesn't happen with Kumiko and reina. Oh, fucking wait.... it does. You do realize the reaction existed because of yuri fans in the first place? People say those things because they can get good reactions from yuri fans because they know they're easily baited and it clearly works. Yuri fans always overreact whenever there's a guy involved so the people take advantage of that and have fun. No one honestly think Shuichi will win in the end. It'll have a open ending for sure.

I am all for an open ending. Because I already got my treat

Coronavirus.
Dec 19, 2016 8:55 PM

Sep 2012
shanimebib said:
TitanAnteus said:

You forgot to mention CLANNAD AS, Chuunibyou, Tamako and Kanon. All had definite love conclusions in the stories.

FlamingMangos said:

There's actually this official art and it seems to be drawn on those animation papers I think?

You see kumiko wearing the hairpin which is a nice drawing since the pin itself was given by shoe. Who knows. It might actually even happen in the anime. So, more treat for you man.
Dec 19, 2016 9:52 PM

Nov 2007
FlamingMangos said:
shanimebib said:

There's actually this official art and it seems to be drawn on those animation papers I think?

You see kumiko wearing the hairpin which is a nice drawing since the pin itself was given by shoe. Who knows. It might actually even happen in the anime. So, more treat for you man.

Italian White? No way! HOW? When did this happen? O_O
Coronavirus.
Dec 19, 2016 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
At some point mid show, “Your fly is open” was used as a joke to a male student but that skirt length is no joking matter was made clear to the members of the Kitauji high school concert band right from the start. It is the first thing we see high school age Kumiko do -even before she touches her breasts- in front of the mirror before heading out for her first day at school. It is the first thing the interim club advisor tells the high school students not to. Proper young ladies don’t roll up their skirts.

Hibike! Euphonium is indeed a well written and cleverly crafted series. For nearly every objection we can raise the writers have already built a rebuttal into their narrative. Reinforced through interviews. Kyoani too seems to have learned from criticism levelled at their previous projects. Do they pull it off?

Examples such as the one above give me the impression of a double standard and I’m not quite ready to give up on the soap box this series by a major studio offers to provide commentary regarding the representation of women and girls in animation. Nor am done with exploring the issue of consent in this and other series either.

Reina is the one shown pursuing Mr. Taki. Here too she is portrayed as the seductress. Taki is portrayed as a somewhat naive, gullible man where the affections of girls and young women are concerned. His happy, happy wife didn’t prepare him for a Reina even though he has known her for most of her life as well. Having been something of her mentor from early childhood, the teacher can be forgiven for the impression he leaves on the maidens in his charge. His love for and devotion to his prematurely deceased wife places him in near saintly realms, virtually beyond reproach. His inexperience as teacher too appears to make him blind to the wiles of this dangerous young woman who respects few boundaries of propriety or personal space. Just as he naturally seduces her without being aware that he is doing it, he also naturally rejects her without noticing he has done so. His gift is not grooming. It is the representation of the misunderstood acts of kindness of a recently widowed man.

Almost criminal? With this scenario the writers appear to offer only an adult male defence as the sole perspective on statutory rape cases. Taking the side of the adult male versus the immature girl but offering us none of the girls who will be raped by a predatory teacher. They have no voice in this series. All we see is what a young male teacher is up against from girls projecting their unwanted desires on him.

It is statistically probable that two or three of the young women in this band of approximately sixty high school girls will have experienced rape before they graduate. Who represents them in this series? Surveys indicate that the assailant in 70% of those rape cases will have been a relative or acquaintance. Their own home and the house of the perpetrator the most common places.

2/3 of high school girls surveyed indicate having experienced groping during their daily commutes to and from school with trains and bicycle parking areas identified as the places most commonly targeted. In those cases the perpetrators are more commonly but not exclusively strangers.

In a series filled with shots of eloquent female thighs, is it really so out of character to wonder if the creators are suggesting: Aren't these girls asking for it?

Is not picking up on those subtle hints perhaps the almost criminal misinterpretation? What a wicked thought. Must be something wrong with my mind.

Explain it to me. Did Reina just let go or is her love at first sight for Taki her sole mating for life? Just as Taki's deceased wife tragically became his? The love of Reina's life, friend of the family, imprinted no later than age nine?

Someone who could have been an inspirational female character in her own right is literally killed off at the drafting stage. To make one of the male characters more appealing. A woman with a dream whose dream is lived out by a man. A man described as more capable than she was before she died. What are the traits Taki included in his description of his deceased wife when Reina asked him? Does he mention her qualities as a musician? He mentions she was in concert band before Reina cuts him off. Reina, the supposedly ambitious trumpet, isn’t interested in that aspect of her life. Would Taki’s wife have been a good teacher? How would we have done in competition under her guidance in stead of his? None of that matters because Reina’s obsession is with her love life not her instrument.
Even if Reina already knew his wife was a trumpet player because of the folio of sheet music Taki give her that still seems too much for me. In a show supposedly not about romance I do get the sensation of seeing them undermine one of the people who from the first scenes seemed most obsessed about music. Romance is of course a major inspiration for some of the greatest music ever written and inspirational figures are without argument integral to the understanding of music.

Mamiko, who is offered as Kumiko's female inspiration, dropped out of university into an uncertain future and for the moment is shown no longer playing her instrument. In contrast, Asuka’s father and Taki - adult male muses mentioned- are both professional musicians, one of them wrote the standard instruction book for the titular instrument of the series.

Is it wrong to see a slight disparity there? Is this another misreading? Premature judgment, perhaps? I'm not so sure. Why not let the original Taki-sensei be succeeded by his talented daughter-in-law? Maybe we're skipping a generation but will this generation be shown as adults, as dreams and promises fulfilled, or will these girls only be depicted in their potential for an unseen future?
Those seem reasonable enough questions to ask, to me.
Dec 20, 2016 1:47 AM

Apr 2016
VersoSciolto said:

Examples such as the one above give me the impression of a double standard and I’m not quite ready to give up on the soap box this series by a major studio offers to provide commentary regarding the representation of women and girls in animation. Nor am done with exploring the issue of consent in this and other series either.

Reina is the one shown pursuing Mr. Taki. Here too she is portrayed as the seductress. Taki is portrayed as a somewhat naive, gullible man where the affections of girls and young women are concerned. His happy, happy wife didn’t prepare him for a Reina even though he has known her for most of her life as well. Having been something of her mentor from early childhood, the teacher can be forgiven for the impression he leaves on the maidens in his charge. His love for and devotion to his prematurely deceased wife places him in near saintly realms, virtually beyond reproach. His inexperience as teacher too appears to make him blind to the wiles of this dangerous young woman who respects few boundaries of propriety or personal space. Just as he naturally seduces her without being aware that he is doing it, he also naturally rejects her without noticing he has done so. His gift is not grooming. It is the representation of the misunderstood acts of kindness of a recently widowed man.

Almost criminal? With this scenario the writers appear to offer only an adult male defence as the sole perspective on statutory rape cases. Taking the side of the adult male versus the immature girl but offering us none of the girls who will be raped by a predatory teacher. They have no voice in this series. All we see is what a young male teacher is up against from girls projecting their unwanted desires on him.

"They have no voice in this series"

Yep and that's ok. The whole anime industry is not supposed to address this (sad and real) issue in every show if they don't want to. Neither must the novelist.

I'm really amazed how you go from the novelist's not so groundbreaking idea of a "juvenile" crush toward an adult to think about the rape problematic in our society. That's fabulous.

In a series filled with shots of eloquent female thighs, is it really so out of character to wonder if the creators are suggesting: Aren't these girls asking for it?

Yeah good point, every time female thighs or boobs or let's say cute women and girls are shown in a movie or anime, it's just rape culture ... ha ha ha!

Amazing!

Is not picking up on those subtle hints perhaps the almost criminal misinterpretation? What a wicked thought. Must be something wrong with my mind.

no no, you're amazing.

Explain it to me. Did Reina just let go or is her love at first sight for Taki her sole mating for life? Just as Taki's deceased wife tragically became his? The love of Reina's life, friend of the family, imprinted no later than age nine?

Someone who could have been an inspirational female character in her own right is literally killed off at the drafting stage. To make one of the male characters more appealing. A woman with a dream whose dream is lived out by a man. A man described as more capable than she was before she died. What are the traits Taki included in his description of his deceased wife when Reina asked him? Does he mention her qualities as a musician? He mentions she was in concert band before Reina cuts him off. Reina, the supposedly ambitious trumpet, isn’t interested in that aspect of her life. Would Taki’s wife have been a good teacher? How would we have done in competition under her guidance in stead of his? None of that matters because Reina’s obsession is with her love life not her instrument.

Wrong.

Reina’s obsession is with her love life AND her instrument.

There's no excluding her passion for music, wherever it may come. If after being rejected by Taki sensei, Reina gives up on music and trumpet, then yes, that's shit.

Did we come so far?

No.

Even if Reina already knew his wife was a trumpet player because of the folio of sheet music Taki give her that still seems too much for me. In a show supposedly not about romance I do get the sensation of seeing them undermine one of the people who from the first scenes seemed most obsessed about music. Romance is of course a major inspiration for some of the greatest music ever written and inspirational figures are without argument integral to the understanding of music.

You can find a passion for the "wrong" reason and then nurture it with new goals and pursue your own path.

By the way, Reina's family is into music if I well understood, what an original set-up for a future trumpetist! I bet with your ridiculously biased way of thinking, you'll say that's bad because the father (a male again!) migfht have been the second "only" reason why Reina plays music. Thinking of it, what about Taki sensei's dad?

As far as I remember in almost alll music animes, the MCs come from families with musicians.

Ah it seems though ... Mamiko might be the exception. A girl!

Mamiko, who is offered as Kumiko's female inspiration, dropped out of university into an uncertain future and for the moment is shown no longer playing her instrument. In contrast, Asuka’s father and Taki - adult male muses mentioned- are both professional musicians, one of them wrote the standard instruction book for the titular instrument of the series.

Is it wrong to see a slight disparity there? Is this another misreading? Premature judgment, perhaps? I'm not so sure.

The disparity is real ... in the real world.

I know it would be great if the novelist could forget about the glas wall and the ugly gender inequality of our real world to set up proper unexpected female examples for the next generations. On the other hand, it's her right not to do so (hope she is aware of it to a certain degree though) and in the end we have Reina who wants to become the best trumpetist, and not only for Taki Sensei, anymore (that's how I understand Reina's dream) and Mamiko who decides her own path (sadly one that is quite a cliche for a woman though).

Hibike might not be a "feminist" show but it does not deserve to be criticized for not being one. Furthermore women aren't all bad, stupid and helpless here. They are flawed, but so are the male protagonists too, and that's true, Hibike's world isn't much different or better than the real one. It's a slice of life after all.

I'll repeat myself. I respect feminism but here it's the wrong battlefield.
Furthermore you have such a biased way of looking at it that, because of you, some people won't take seriously some legitimate issues when they will really matter.
Your loss.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 20, 2016 2:19 AM
Dec 20, 2016 5:06 PM

May 2016
Man, I don't get people that deems every single drama as over/melodramatic. Makes me question if they even know what it means...

I much rather have them admit they just find most drama hella annoying or tedious instead of coming up with pre-baked excuses to throw the fault on the show...

The drama of this show is not bad at all and it totally fits with this type of anime...NUFF SAID!
HyperLDec 20, 2016 8:12 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Dec 20, 2016 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
HyperL said:
Man, I don't get people that deems every single drama as over/melodramatic. Makes me question if they even know what it means...

I much ratter have them admit they just find most drama hella annoying or tedious instead of coming up with pre-baked excuses to throw the fault on the show...

The drama of this show is not bad at all and it totally fits with this type of anime...NUFF SAID!
Because it is melodrama. Not only do we have the music (melos) but we get to see mythical creatures like Orpheus and a whole cast of water nymphs do their thing in a staged production. Don't be fooled by the seemingly naturalistic backdrops or the perpetually thirsty maidens hanging around by the river's edge. That's part of the illusion, you see. Hyper-realistic but not quite true to life.

We get to see a school girl rocked back on her feet by the mere touch of hand to finger tips, hair swept as if taken up in a storm, though seemingly still standing indoors, in a faculty room (probably the air-conditioner kicking in), toes curled as though orgasmic from the experience, or perhaps from the lack thereof. She only touched hands with a girl in practice before so the real sensation of briefly connecting with a genuine would-be suitor must have been too overwhelming.

We get to see a boy invited to go see the play Undine, opting instead to go rescue one for himself by following her into a haunted house The usually pragmatic Kumiko, not deterred by rain or storm winds from going out into a typhoon on her own was quaking in her slippers at the thought of moving further through a dressed up classroom. She comes looking for her girl friend who she is aware to be one of the actors staging this charade but once inside fear overwhelms her. How lucky for her that prince charming had decided to trace her footsteps once again.
The argument that soulless girls with horrible personalities are portrayed as weak and in need of salvation, while boys are knights in shining armour is foreclosed before it can be made by having the boy's male companion go running screaming for the exit. Clever Kyoani. You saw that one coming, didn’t you?

Don't even suggest that Shuuichi was acting like a creepy stalker there, who saw an opportunity to corner his girl in a dark alley. To take advantage of her fear. To pop that question to which she has been unwilling to provide the only answer he'll accept. Yes, brave knight. Take me away from that kitchen table. Save me from the scowl behind the morning paper for which you seem the perfect replacement. Lead me, out of the haunted house.

Marriage is between a man and a woman. Not this doomed sisterhood nonsense.
Ready to propose it is once again Reina who interrupts him.
Reina who had been lying in wait to spring just this trap.
Poor prince, they got away again.
Patience.

The next piece is about to begin.
Places!

Just kidding. This is not a fairy tale, nor melodrama just slice of life of normal high school students going about their daily lives and we like it just the same. It has redeeming qualities.
removed-userDec 21, 2016 12:39 AM
Dec 20, 2016 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
[Mamiko]... (sadly one that is quite a cliche for a woman though) ...
Why put that in parentheses. As though an afterthought. Is that not the very point we've been trying to get across or at at least get addressed?

In my opinion, it is even compounded. Mamiko about to be cast out on her own for finally standing up for herself after buckling under the expectations. Her last gasp appeal to be allowed a place in her own family includes her failed attempt to play housewife for a day. She tries to prepare a meal as though the only avenue of re-entrance available is through the kitchen.

Surely they're not going to leave it at that. Even I couldn't come up with something that cynical and have it be her finale.

S2, E4 - Niiyama-sensei to Yoroizuka Mizore - from online subtitles:
"I wanted to apologise to you properly. To be honest, when I heard your solo, I felt that something was lacking. Yet I decided it was good enough for a high school student…. I convinced myself there was a limit to your potential. I’m sorry.
It was rude of me. You have incredible technique. But… For some reason, I feel heavy when I listen. You can have more fun."

Those are perhaps the most inspirational words this adult female character has spoken about music in the entire series but she wouldn’t have said even these lines without Hashimoto actions prompting her. Her male friend, the other temporary advisor. First she needed to apologise for her incompetence as advisor engaged specifically to motivate, asked in to enhance potential. It is quite possible that this conversation helped Mizore more than Hashimoto's initial criticism in front of the assembled band but Niiyama is herself a professional musician. She shouldn't have required his cue before approaching Mizore herself.

The disparity doesn't have to be replicated again and again in this series in which even such a qualified woodwinds specialist needed someone from a different section to tell her how to improve on the playing of a musician she was working with directly. Talented and accomplished enough to be noted Niiyama is cast to assumed Mizore had already reached her ceiling. If Kumiko was able to hear there was something lacking about Mizore's playing from across a hallway upon first hearing Mizore’s morning practice by herself then this professional musician too should have been able to do something about it when she noticed - before Hashimoto had the opportunity to comment during general practice.

Men lead, women follow. Is that not the impression reinforced at nearly every opportunity?

Time and again the women are portrayed as incompetent motivators. Even the ones who are seemingly well placed to do so on their own accord … and, yes, there are enough professionally trained women in the real world even today to serve as adult role models for a cast of primarily female musicians.

It is not wrong to raise these points when it is clearly an issue that needs to be addressed. It is fair to question why an author doesn’t tackle it head on. Given how poor her audience has proven to be with picking up subtle hints it might even be criminal not do says these things bluntly.

It would have been quite possible to have a professional female musician like this among the adult muses without having her credibility undermined in such a way. Without having her actions be preceded by a failure and an apology for being incompetent. Have the male musicians in this series been placed in this position where they are seemingly portrayed as though they couldn’t perform their jobs without some woman telling them how to?
Dec 21, 2016 5:49 AM

Apr 2016
VersoSciolto said:

S2, E4 - Niiyama-sensei to Yoroizuka Mizore - from online subtitles:
"I wanted to apologise to you properly. To be honest, when I heard your solo, I felt that something was lacking. Yet I decided it was good enough for a high school student…. I convinced myself there was a limit to your potential. I’m sorry.
It was rude of me. You have incredible technique. But… For some reason, I feel heavy when I listen. You can have more fun."

Those are perhaps the most inspirational words this adult female character has spoken about music in the entire series but she wouldn’t have said even these lines without Hashimoto actions prompting her. Her male friend, the other temporary advisor. First she needed to apologise for her incompetence as advisor engaged specifically to motivate, asked in to enhance potential. It is quite possible that this conversation helped Mizore more than Hashimoto's initial criticism in front of the assembled band but Niiyama is herself a professional musician. She shouldn't have required his cue before approaching Mizore herself.

It would have been quite possible to have a professional female musician like this among the adult muses without having her credibility undermined in such a way. Without having her actions be preceded by a failure and an apology for being incompetent. Have the male musicians in this series been placed in this position where they are seemingly portrayed as though they couldn’t perform their jobs without some woman telling them how to?

I thought first "good point" then I was : "could I find something to come against your argument?"

and here it goes :

IF all the critic you direct toward Niiyama-sensei's treatment is relevant ...
now ...
what about Taki-sensei? Is he not the highest professionel in charge? How long did he work with the band? How long did he hear Mizore doing a bad job without reacting? Is he so bad he didn't notice anything? Or was he such a coward that he didn't want to address the issue? Is he really a good director at that point? Worst, while Niiyama-sensei apologized for the lack of trust in Mizore's ability, Taki sensei didn't even make a move. That in Japan?! How incompetent ist that? Maybe he could learn one or two things from Niiyama-sensei in this regard.

If you really want to read into the Mizore case that negatively the biggest and ultimate failure in many regards is from "the last person in charge" Taki-sensei, not Niiyama-sensei.

As for the Hashimoto's case, I think the way he addressed the problem in front of everybody with relatively harsh words was an obvious lack of tact, again here we have another flawed male character with a serious lack of social competence ... at work.

And now the last and most relevant question as to how you think and forget the details that don't go your way :
Why didn't you come up with the heavy critic of Taki-sensei's professional failure? Were you really unable to see it, while it was so easy (for you) to point out Niiyama-sensei' failure?

Think about it. It's all a matter of perspective. It's good to learn about your own train of thought.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 21, 2016 6:04 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2016

127 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Oct 12, 2016

143 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 25, 10:19 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

118 by pilotofeva »»
May 20, 9:38 PM

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.