Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2016 12:33 AM

Jan 2009
The 2016–17 NBA season will be the 71st season of the National Basketball Association. The regular season will begin on October 25, 2016. The 2017 NBA All-Star Game will be played at a venue to be announced on February 19, 2017; the original host of the game, Charlotte's Time Warner Cable Arena, was removed as the host on July 21, 2016 due to the league's opposition against North Carolina's Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act.[1] The regular season will end on April 12, 2017, and the playoffs will begin on April 15, 2017 and will end with the last game of the NBA Finals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_NBA_season

congrats to the Chicago Bulls for winning the Summer League but i hope the Bulls lose a lot of games and entirely rebuild already
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2016 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
Just wanted to get onto this thread.

But I figure let's break the ice a bit if you care enough to chip in: what team is everyone here a fan of, how did you become a fan of that particular team, and for how long now?

For me, I'm a Utah Jazz fan. I just barely missed the glory years of Stockton and Malone and remember the first game I watched was in Stockton's last season against Iverson and the 76ers. My dad was watching it and it caught my attention and I somehow became attached from there, lol. So I've been a fan since 2002-2003.

I feel like I know what most posters from the previous thread are fans of, but it'd still be neat to see reasons.
Jul 27, 2016 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
i started watching NBA basketball ever since the 2nd 3-peat of the Chicago Bulls, the unbeataBULLS season was frigging awesome, i just knew they will win their games even in close games because Michael Jordan has a habit of taking over the scoring of the game with his patented mid range shots or fade away shots and that made me a fan

i also remember how awesome Stockton to Malone duo is, together with 3 point shooting of Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russel that Utaz Jazz team was something, too bad its the Chicago Bulls era at that time
Jul 27, 2016 6:37 PM

Jun 2015
This season will be really weird for me, so many interesting trades... gonna be weird but I have to adapt :p

as for my favorite team it's pretty obvious, Oklahoma City Thunder.. it was like four years ago when I first started watching basketball actively and I chose OKC just because I fell in love with the players, logo, etc... shame that this is going through some hard time right now but no matter what happens I'll always be a OKC fan.

however it disgusts me to see that there are some fans who are abandoning the team and leaving for the Warriors, absolutely pathetic.

i'm also really excited for the Timberwolves & Lakers; I feel like their teams are gonna be really good in the future so I can't wait.
Jul 28, 2016 1:04 AM

Jan 2012
I'm not sure exactly when I started following the NBA and the Lakers, but I credit the game in which Kobe put the Lakers up 3-1 against PHX as my starting point. Ever since then it's been a blur. That was also the year DAL and MIA clashed in the Finals, leading me to become a Nowitzki fan as well. A little bummed though that I missed out on the Bulls and Lakers runs, as well as all the other cool players and things happening throughout the 90s and 00s, and even before then. That also includes NBA on NBC as well.

Fast forward about ten years, and it's just a weird feeling knowing that #24 will not be out on the court anymore. Same goes for Duncan, another player I overlooked throughout the years, and eventually Nowitzki down the road. Nonetheless, it's LAL until I die! Would like to see GSW stack titles until the Lakers become viable contenders again. Very curious as to how this latest iteration of an NBA super team pans out. Like, OKC's collapse and LeBron's block might have crazier implications on history than perceived now.
Jul 28, 2016 5:23 AM

May 2016
go lakers.
when jim buss leaves.
Jul 28, 2016 8:53 AM

May 2014
Living in Southern California, I grew up watching the Lakers when I was young (Clippers were doodoo at the time). My earliest memories were during the 3-peat era with Shaq and Kobe. I've been watching them ever since. When the Lakers eventually get back to championship form, i'll feel proud to have stuck with them the whole way. Also, I was really sad when Kobe retired. He was the first player I've ever grew up watching for most of their career before retiring.
Jul 28, 2016 9:43 AM

Aug 2015
Well I just started becoming an NBA fan on the time when LeBron join the Heat when the NBA finally reached our local channel in my country, my 1st team that I supported was the Miami Heat because they're the "hot" team on that time, but as time goes by, I rooted for the Knicks because of Linsanity, and because of that he became my first legitimate favorite player in the NBA at that time, even at the time he left, I still rooted for the Knicks up to this moment and at the same time watching some of the Lin's highlights online since I tend to hate watching the Rockets' games because of cancers like Howard and Harden. Now I'm really hoping for Lin to have his limelight back in Brooklyn.

But when in terms of my team not reaching the playoffs, I tend to root for underdog teams since supporting great teams don't even have the feeling of competition in me when supporting them and you know proving someone's wrong is one of the best feeling when winning a series.

Now at this moment, I'm pretty much excited to see the new Timberwolves, Knicks, and Lakers, rookies and sophomores developing right in front of my eyes,Thunder be ala Portland without Durant and Spurs and Warriors choking on things that really mattered next season.
Jul 28, 2016 9:58 AM

Sep 2013
I started as a spurs fan in the 2008 playoffs when they we're up against Chris Paul's n.o. hornets, loved their style and brand of basketball. But then everything changed when they went up against the lakers and I saw Kobe Bryant. Amazing stuff is what I witness...so I ended up changing teams lol and since then I've been a loyal laker fan.

Really exited about this season's youngsters.
sic mundus
Jul 28, 2016 2:08 PM

Dec 2007
Lived in the Houston area my whole life, but didn't start paying attention until the "94 finals. Lost interest after the '98 season because of my favorite player, Clyde Drexler's, retirement and the lockout. Regained interest in '08 after watching the all-star game on a whim. The Rockets just happened to be in the midst of their 22 game win streak, so were playing some exciting basketball. I know I'm not the most loyal fan, but ugly basketball and an unlikable team caused me to lose interest once again last season..

Maybe a fall back team wouldn't be a bad idea? I've always rooted for the underdog if it isn't my Rockets playing, unless it's the Lakers.. I really don't like the Lakers.
Jul 28, 2016 6:30 PM

Jun 2013
I became a Grizzlies fan not too long after I started getting into basketball. During the 2011 playoffs the Grizzlies really caught my attention when they had a series lead against the first-seeded spurs. The underdogs with a devotion to defense and hard work "Grit and Grind philosophy" really inspired me and I've been a fan of that style of play and the Grizzlies ever since.

Really excited to watch this upcoming season with all these big free agents moving places, but really hoping that Chandler Parsons can be that missing piece the Grizzlies have needed to try and make a deep post season run.
Jul 29, 2016 1:22 AM

Jan 2016
I'm hoping(even though it's a shot in the dark) that the LAkers management wil somehow get Westbrook for Russell and a couple of first rounders.
Jul 29, 2016 1:25 AM

Mar 2015
Been living next to Miami for some time, and went to a couple games when I was really young, so you can say I have been a heat fan for a long time..but I started taking the NBA more seriously when LeBron joined up and started watching every season since. Even if him and Wade are gone, I'll continue to support the city from where I was born.
Little bit late but sad to see Amar'e retire. Would have been a joy to see him without any injuries.
CrehscentJul 29, 2016 1:32 AM
Jul 29, 2016 4:06 AM

Aug 2013
I was following NBA for quite some time,I think I started around 2008-2009 when Ray went to Boston and we had the rivarly of the NBA back in the finals. I felt in love with his shooting,so effortless and instantly I became a fan of him. But I was not supporting a team until GS,they play the basketball I like,utilizing the 3pt. You can say I joined the bandwagon but hey everybody has to start from something.

I'm exciting to watch T-Wolves,Sixers and the Bucks next season. Young teams,with potential.
Aug 4, 2016 2:22 AM

Jun 2015
Russ signs a 3 yr deal, finally good news for my OKC.

Can't wait to see him destroying this league.
Aug 5, 2016 7:25 PM

Feb 2009
Good for Westbrook. MVP season incoming
Aug 5, 2016 7:58 PM
Feb 2014
XPwnDEnd said:
Just wanted to get onto this thread.

But I figure let's break the ice a bit if you care enough to chip in: what team is everyone here a fan of, how did you become a fan of that particular team, and for how long now?

For me, I'm a Utah Jazz fan. I just barely missed the glory years of Stockton and Malone and remember the first game I watched was in Stockton's last season against Iverson and the 76ers. My dad was watching it and it caught my attention and I somehow became attached from there, lol. So I've been a fan since 2002-2003.

I feel like I know what most posters from the previous thread are fans of, but it'd still be neat to see reasons.

I'm a Seattle SuperSonics fan. My earliest basketball memories were watching the last seasons of the Shawn Kemp/Gary Payton/Detlef Schrempf teams. When all players left, I had to deal with bad teams on and off save the 2004-05 season when Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis stepped up their game and got us to the playoffs. Two more bad seasons later, Kevin Durant looked like he was going to bring basketball back to Seattle even though our teams were a work in progress to getting back on track from a dry spell. But when we moved to OKC I felt horribly betrayed as a fan. My last basketball memory as a Sonics fan was drafting Russell Westbrook, only to see him play in tornado alley just a few months later. Since then, while I've been following basketball, I have not chosen any team to root for because I have no desire to root for the Thunder when our owner sold that team off, and I felt like the sport in general over time became a soap opera that it'd be too much for me to keep up with. So I just watch basketball for the cheap entertainment above all, but I still appreciate the growth of the game in its many regards.

My current favorite NBA player though is Isaiah Thomas. I generally root for any NBA player who comes out of Seattle or goes to my alma mater (University of Washington), but this guy has the double package and he stays true to his Seattle roots despite playing in Boston. Also really love his game, I've been a point guard fan forever considering that's the only position I can play while actually playing basketball.
AqutanAug 5, 2016 8:17 PM
Aug 6, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
As a Brit, it's kind of hard to have a favourite team when the NBA doesn't have much coverage here T_T
Maybe I should support the only Scottish team (Glasgow Rocks) but it's pointless as they're not in European competitions sadly. Another reason no one gives a shit about the BBL.

I don't have childhood memories of watching it on TV and getting inspired through similar means. I just like playing the sport with my mates at school. My favourite player would be LeBron as he is a minority share owner of my favourite club Liverpool FC. I don't support my hometown Aberdeen generally due to the quality of the league itself.

In 2K, my favourite player would be Kevin Durant. Nigga is unstoppable xD
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Jun 2015

Can't wait to see this shit
Aug 9, 2016 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
Damn, Spain just lost again to Brazil in a nail biter. They may be fucked.
Aug 9, 2016 5:15 PM

Feb 2009
So Ray Allen has been talking to the Bucks and Celtics about a comeback?

Oh man if he came back 1 year to play for the Bucks again and show the young guys how to win and get better, that is the best case scenario for me as a fan. Bucks do need a shooter and points of the bench. :D Would love to see that happen, not sure on the cap room though :/
Aug 14, 2016 8:37 AM

Sep 2015
Team USA is starting to look quite vulnerable they need to get it together.
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Aug 14, 2016 6:43 PM

Apr 2013
Ryuzaki said:

Coincidence that the weakest looking "Dream Team" in recent memory is headlined by all those chokers (past and present) from the Golden State Warriors? I think not ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 15, 2016 1:03 AM

Sep 2015
dankzel said:
Ryuzaki said:

Coincidence that the weakest looking "Dream Team" in recent memory is headlined by all those chokers (past and present) from the Golden State Warriors? I think not ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
LOL way to break it down that's probably the reason haha
Aug 15, 2016 2:34 AM

Dec 2010
WHAT IS THIS DISGRACE OSTENSIBLY LABELED TEAM USA

16-17 season prediction: Houston wins the west.

lol jk

I did like the Ryan Anderson acquisition though. As long as someone stops the Warriors next season I'm happy.
Aug 15, 2016 3:08 AM
Feb 2014
Legendre said:

lol jk

I did like the Ryan Anderson acquisition though. As long as someone stops the Warriors next season I'm happy.

CAN YOU PLEASE COME BACK? :(
Aug 15, 2016 3:14 AM

Jun 2012
Legendre said:

lol jk

We're gonna end up with the silver somehow.
Aug 15, 2016 3:19 AM

Jan 2012
dankzel said:
Ryuzaki said:

The main problem I see with this years Team USA comes from the point guards, Kyrie and Lowry. Both are good players but have a score first mentality, which is causing the ball movement to become stagnant. Instead of ball movement we are seeing a lot of 1 v 1 and iso plays. I also noticed that Kyrie is getting lost on defense way too often.

-------------------------

So apparently there are Draymond Green for Anthony Davis trade rumors going on:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/08/14/rumor-possible-trade-would-send-anthony-davis-to-the-warriors-for-draymond-green/

I feel like this would be a bad trade for both teams honestly. The Warriors already have 3 volume shoot players in the Curry/Klay/Durant trio. The last thing they need to do is add a 4th one in Davis. With Draymond you get a solid all-around player who isn't as shot heavy. It just makes more sense to keep him.

From the Pelican's perspective, they need a player like Davis. His potential is really high. Green is a great player, but he isn't really a first option kind of player when it comes to scoring. Davis is and the Pelicans need that kind of player right now.
Aug 15, 2016 8:06 AM

Aug 2013
Team USA should've lost a game or two (Australia-Serbia) but their talent was too much for the other teams to handle. The gold is guaranteed but this is the worst team USA I've seen imo.

They have to move the ball a lot more and stop trying to out-talent the other teams.

I don't want them to lose,I want to have the privlege to say we are the only team to beat USA since 2006 lol
Aug 15, 2016 1:19 PM

Dec 2010
Nico- said:
Legendre said:

lol jk

CAN YOU PLEASE COME BACK? :(

2nd year is busier than the 1st

/sadface

I GOT SHIT TO DO NICO, AMBITIONS AND SUCH.

Also Draymond Green for Anthony Davis seems like a disaster trade, I agree. It'd also make me hate the Warriors that much more. Davis has the potential to be a top 5 player in the NBA, so seeing him play 3rd wheel in Golden State this early in his career would be a shame.

Green is yet another player that benefits from the unit around him. On his own, he wouldn't have anywhere near the numbers he does now.
Aug 18, 2016 2:42 AM
Apr 2012
Paul George was a beast on defense, and KD just lit it up (3P/7-9). Beautiful game to watch.

Also dat DeRozan 360 dunk.

Draymond has been absolute garbage though.
Aug 18, 2016 3:43 AM

Aug 2013
Wait a minute. Did Barnes actually got some minutes? I felt sorry for him throughout the Olympics sitting on the bench all time.
Aug 18, 2016 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
I don't keep up with the NBA much due to not enough time, however all these trades definitely spiced up a few teams. Definitely have to watch out for Boston, Chicago, Cavs, Golden State, and etc. They all have potential NBA championship caliber teams.
Aug 18, 2016 4:41 PM

Sep 2015
Bookerhooker said:
I don't keep up with the NBA much due to not enough time, however all these trades definitely spiced up a few teams. Definitely have to watch out for Boston, Chicago, Cavs, Golden State, and etc. They all have potential NBA championship caliber teams.
Boston and Chicago aren't even close.
Aug 19, 2016 11:31 AM

Aug 2013
USA vs Spain will be good,I hope.
Aug 19, 2016 2:11 PM

May 2015
FUCK KD.

Okay, fuck KD as long as he's in GSW. Can't wait for the season to come back, I miss my boys in OKC.
Aug 20, 2016 12:41 AM

Jun 2008
As long as team USA wins gold I'll be OK with these Olympics...

But only just OK.

Quite frankly, the U.S Olympic team kinda dropped the egg in Rio.

Various events that we SHOULD have won, we didn't...

And while it was nice to see Phelps go out as the GOAT....i still feel we lacked our usual overwhelming dominance in these Olympics.

When you wear the red, white and blue you expect to win, end of story.

Go play for the European teams if you're just "happy" to be in the Olympics.
Sep 8, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2009
congrats to Yao Ming, Shaq and Allen Iverson for becoming Hall of Famers
Sep 8, 2016 8:18 PM

Jan 2016
Let me just ask what are you projections for this season for each team, NBA fans in MAL?
Sep 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Jul 2014
Life without Tim Duncan is a life i'm not prepared to live.
Sep 8, 2016 10:34 PM

Jan 2009
CapitalistGod said:
Let me just ask what are you projections for this season for each team, NBA fans in MAL?

Warriors vs Cavaliers in the finals again
Sep 10, 2016 3:47 PM

Sep 2015
Warriors beat Cavs in a finals rematch as uncreative as that pick is.
Sep 11, 2016 8:48 PM
Apr 2012
the Warriors won't even make it out of the West.

is what I want to believe.

Sep 12, 2016 6:56 PM

Jul 2013
I'm a fan of San Antonio, I loved Tim Duncan and David Robinson and Sean Elliot. My new team Oklahoma City Thunder. I want my boy Russell Jordan, Michael Westbrook to get a ring, I disliked KD to the Warriors. He could've went anywhere.
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Sep 16, 2016 7:23 AM

Aug 2015
CapitalistGod said:

Warriors 2017 NBA Champs duh..

Anyways, I'm just excited to finally see Embiid play. I know there's a lot of hype around Ben Simmons rn but I think Embiid has way higher potential than him. Check this mockumentary about Embiid.

Seriously though, if Embiid stays healthy, he's going to be the best player in the NBA.
Sep 16, 2016 8:33 AM

Sep 2015
Squirtroll said:
CapitalistGod said:

Warriors 2017 NBA Champs duh..

Anyways, I'm just excited to finally see Embiid play. I know there's a lot of hype around Ben Simmons rn but I think Embiid has way higher potential than him. Check this mockumentary about Embiid.

Seriously though, if Embiid stays healthy, he's going to be the best player in the NBA.
Lol I seriously hope you were joking about that last part.
Sep 20, 2016 3:38 AM

Jan 2012
Anyone check out Sports Illustrated "Top 100 NBA players of 2017"

It was a pretty long list, as its name implies, but these were the players they ranked as the top 10 heading into next season.

10. Blake Griffin
9. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
7. James Harden
6. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
4. Chris Paul
3. Steph Curry
2. Kevin Durant
1. LeBron James

Thoughts?
Sep 20, 2016 10:25 AM

Sep 2015
sman3579 said:
Anyone check out Sports Illustrated "Top 100 NBA players of 2017"

It was a pretty long list, as its name implies, but these were the players they ranked as the top 10 heading into next season.

10. Blake Griffin
9. Paul George
8. Anthony Davis
7. James Harden
6. Kawhi Leonard
5. Russell Westbrook
4. Chris Paul
3. Steph Curry
2. Kevin Durant
1. LeBron James

Thoughts?
There can be debate about order but I'd say those players deserve to be there. I'd consider switching Griffin for Cousins but not 100% on that because the Kings suck.
Sep 20, 2016 11:57 AM

Jan 2012
Ryuzaki said:
There can be debate about order but I'd say those players deserve to be there. I'd consider switching Griffin for Cousins but not 100% on that because the Kings suck.

They had Cousins at 12, Aldridge was 11.

I agree the order of the players could probably be somewhat different if debated, but overall a solid top 10.
sman3579Sep 20, 2016 1:15 PM
Sep 20, 2016 12:47 PM

Sep 2015
There can be debate about order but I'd say those players deserve to be there. I'd consider switching Griffin for Cousins but not 100% on that because the Kings suck.[/quote]

They had Cousins at 12, Aldridge was 11.

I agree the order of the players could probably be somewhat different if debated, but overall a solid top 10.[/quote] Aldridge over Cousins? Lol that's laughable but way less mistakes than usual for SI.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.