Forum Settings
Forums

Animes you didn't expect to become your favorite until given a chance?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2016 9:27 AM

Jan 2016
Non Non Biyori
Before I even watched this then I was only into action packed or gore-filled anime. I've been staying away from SoL anime or romance anime at all cost because I just thought they were way too boring. Once I watched it then it just caught my attention and I couldn't stop watching it. I laughed several times, smiled almost all the time, it was just perfect. The perfect anime I needed to watch to get a break from action anime and so. This anime opened up SoL anime and actually school anime as well.
Mar 13, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty much all my favorites are ones I didn't expect to be my favorites.
Mar 13, 2016 10:32 AM

May 2015
I didn't start watching Kekkai Sensen because I wasn't intrested.

Friend told me to watch it anyways.

oh boy I regret the first decision.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 13, 2016 10:45 AM

Apr 2015
ef: tale of Melodies - when IT became legit Romantic Psycho Drama
Is it GreanPeace? I don't think so - whine to your parents or tell'em to buy sth for ur buttpain. Those ppl won't help you.
.. ..

Mar 13, 2016 10:55 AM

Jun 2014
HxH for real i though it's about two lil kids playing fight and i was so wrong.....so so wrong...but this gave me a lesson not to judge animus by its cover
Mar 13, 2016 11:55 AM

Jan 2014
daAmazinFatB0y said:
So what anime did you originally avoid or drop because of a certain reason and then when finally gave it a fair chance became some of your favorite?

-Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Watched the 1st 4 episodes, hated the ending of episode 4 and then episode 5 fueled my rage. I was like "wtf? why do that?" It had this 4 episode arc thing and then time would reset and I was thinking it was some Amagami S type shit where each arc is just different from the other, like alternate timelines...so I gave up on it....until I heard something that piqued my interest and continued watching. Damn it was amazing!

-Steins;Gate
The 1st episode put me off. It was sooo fkng confusing and I thought it was gonna be one of those mind fuck shows that would not make a lick of sense no matter what. I was VERY wrong! took me ages to take the 2nd plunge but it was damn worth it.

I agree with these two and they have become 2 of my favourite animes of all time, higurashi being the best of the best in my opinion.
Mar 13, 2016 9:39 PM

Jan 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I was REALLY stubborn against this one, and refused to watch it for such a long time. I tried to get through the first few episodes when it first came out, but I couldn't stand how rushed they were and wasn't a fan of the animation style at first. So I dropped it for years until 2014 when I thought, "what the hell, try again." Plowed through the boring first stuff and fell in love with the rest.
Mar 14, 2016 12:36 AM

Apr 2014
Haikyuu. I really am not the sports anime kind of guy, but Haikyuu dragged me in.
Mar 14, 2016 12:41 AM

Mar 2016
HUNTER X HUNTER

I watched half an episode about a year and a half ago, I didn't understand why it was so popular so I stopped watching it. It wasn't until a friend of mine asked me to watch it (because of Hisoka) that I finally gave it another go. Now I can't get enough of it and I'm sure I'm annoying all my family and friends since it's all I talk about now.
Mar 14, 2016 1:15 AM

Oct 2013
Bartender
Saraiya Goyou
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
Kaiji
Ergo Proxy
NGE
Mushishi
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Sakamichi no Apollon
White Album 2
Uchuu Kyoudai
Monster
Steins;Gate
Gankutsuou

Pretty much most of my favorites.
Mar 14, 2016 1:23 AM
Mar 2016
Storm-Sage said:
Zetsuen no Tempest- A diamond in the rough I had never heard of. Ended up providing an epic tale I was not expecting.

Goldman8 said:
Definitely Stein's Gate. I just thought the first episode was sooo boring. So I dropped it, but later I decided to try it again and oh my god, it's literally my favorite anime now.

can't agree more lol
my friends didn't believe me when I said that zetsuen no tempest is good T_T
and steins;gate -- why people's endurance is so weak... they don't know that they are about to watch something epic
Mar 14, 2016 1:37 AM
Oct 2015
Grisaia no Kajitsu- I thought this would be a bad and generic ecchi anime. When I started watching it, I realized how great the comedy in the series is, and the main character is one of best harem protagonist I ever seen. As the series progressed, it really started to impress me with all the very well done drama and how messed up the backstories to all the characters where. I seriously loved this series and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes drama and physiological anime.

Haikyuu- I really don't like sports. Like, they bore me to death. I never really liked sports anime either. But Haikyuu is different. I seriously love the cast of this series, its so colorful and unique. The drama in this show is handled better then most sports anime. The volleyball matches they play in the show, are surprisingly, very enjoyable. The comedy is great, there where quite a few scenes that made me laugh really hard. And the development of the characters is seriously amazing. Haikyuu is a very good character story, I would recommend to anyone who likes sport, comedy, or drama anime.

Bakemonogatari- I was really debating to watch this or not, cause I heard it was very heavy on its dialogue. But I seriously am so happy I gave it a go, because the characters in this show are just wonderful. The development of the characters is handled well, and the story progresses at the perfect speed. The visuals in this show are breathtaking, sone of the best I have seen to date. The athmosphere surrounding the show is very erey and mysterious, which really changes the experience for the watcher. I would recommend this to anyone whole likes mystery, but with very heavy dialogue.
NightmarishNekoMar 14, 2016 1:42 AM
Mar 14, 2016 3:58 AM

Feb 2015
Anime itself
Am i right ?
XD XD XD XD XD

Joke aside, there is too many for me to count.
At least i will give 5 of them; Punch Line, Hayate no Gotoku, Aldnoah Zero, TTGL, Gatchaman Crowds
One more; Aoki Hagane. One More Again; Steins;Gate.
ONE MORE; AoT/SnK
YizelTroMar 14, 2016 4:02 AM
Mar 14, 2016 6:06 AM

Jan 2015
Akatsuki no Yona, I came into it expecting a moefication of history but it tots proved meh wrong.
Mar 14, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2015
Durarara for me
Ep 1 was boring af so I was like nope
I gave it another try 2 months later and ended up completely loving it
This scene made me laugh everytiem
Video link
Mar 14, 2016 9:01 AM

Oct 2015
Without a doubt it would be BEN-TO. Who would think a show about getting lunch would be so much fun.It is one of the funniest anime I have ever seen and is now in my top 10 anime of all time.
Mar 14, 2016 9:18 AM

Jun 2015
Madoka Magica-The art style bothered me at first and it didn't catch my attention until after a few attempts at watching it.

Higurashi-I wasn't aware of the time resets my first time watching it. They were a huge turn off for awhile.
Mar 14, 2016 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
I still hadn't watched much ecchi back then and people were talking crap about Kiss x Sis.

One of the best moves I made was saying "who cares" and diving in.
Mar 14, 2016 2:26 PM
May 2015
rina-rina said:
Storm-Sage said:
Zetsuen no Tempest- A diamond in the rough I had never heard of. Ended up providing an epic tale I was not expecting.

Goldman8 said:
Definitely Stein's Gate. I just thought the first episode was sooo boring. So I dropped it, but later I decided to try it again and oh my god, it's literally my favorite anime now.

can't agree more lol
my friends didn't believe me when I said that zetsuen no tempest is good T_T
and steins;gate -- why people's endurance is so weak... they don't know that they are about to watch something epic
Same with my friends! They felt that way about Clannad. It was too slow. They have no stamina.
Apr 8, 2016 6:06 AM

Aug 2014
Lovely Complex -- i thought the characters looked weird (in photos) and wasn't interested at all but then I finally got THAT BORED with a lot of anime and watched it. I'm rewatching it as we speak because I love it so much
Xtina is my mother!
Apr 8, 2016 6:24 AM

Oct 2015
Nichijou. When I watched it I was still pretty apprehensive about the concept of "slice of life" anime, but I ended up loving it.

Also the Monogatari series. I've heard lots of polarising stuff about this show so I thought I was gonna either find it mediocre or flat out hate it, but now I can't get enough of it.

Tevens said:
Anime itself
Am i right ?
XD XD XD XD XD

You might be joking but this actually applies to me. I hated anime until 2014 and it took me a lot of leaving my "comfort zone" to even watch anime in the first place.
Apr 8, 2016 6:28 AM

Oct 2009
Osomatsu-san
I really didn't like the visuals at first so I was wondering why it was so famous on Pixiv. But I tried it and it's hilarious af. ♥ xD

Apr 8, 2016 6:34 AM

Apr 2010
I've actually avoided Death Note for a very long time, I thought it was just an overrated anime until I gave it a chance at last, and now it's my all time favorite anime.
Apr 8, 2016 6:37 AM

Dec 2015
Watamote (obviously) I did expect to like it, but I would never have guessed that it would become my favourite.
Apr 8, 2016 6:38 AM
Aug 2015
One Piece and Naruto. I thought that they were both absolute shit, and dropped them after a couple of episodes. However about a year later(not at the same time) i picked them back up, and they have been in my top 10 ever since.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2016 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
Free!. One day I started watching it out of boredom, with very low expectations, since everyone was telling that it's just a fujobait with no plot and with dull characters. It was totally different from what I heard about it (at least the first season), I ended up absolutely loving it, it was really suprising.
fuyukiApr 8, 2016 6:56 AM
Apr 8, 2016 6:53 AM
Aug 2015
InfiniteBurst34 said:
Durarara for me
Ep 1 was boring af so I was like nope
I gave it another try 2 months later and ended up completely loving it
This scene made me laugh everytiem
Video link
this is the funniest thing in durarara, tho Better video link
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2016 10:29 PM

Oct 2014
The two that caught me off guard were Nodame Cantabile (somewhat) and Maria-sama ga Miteru (massively).

Nodame was mentioned numerous times on the recs board as a good one to watch so I was expecting at least a decent watch anyway. However, the cover art and the fact that it was about classical music caused me to sit on it for a long time. Needless to say it turned out to be an amazing title for me and I was kicking myself for putting it off so long.

The real surprise was Maria-sama ga Miteru. This was just another shoujo romance title in my PTW that also happened to be shoujo-ai (it sports both tags). I even had to Google what shoujo-ai was. The cover was, frankly, pretty bland (no, it's not the pic below which is the one for season 4) though I did find those conservative long skirts the girls were wearing to be rather intriguing because pretty much every other highschool anime have girls sporting short skirts (for the obvious reasons).

Anyway, months passed and it wasn't until I'd exhausted almost all the hyped romance titles that I gave this virtually unknown, hardly ever mentioned title a shot. Well, by episode three I was completely enthralled and won over by its characters, its classiness, wry humor and touching drama. What's more, due to the paucity of titles in the shoujo-ai genre it gave me a reason to properly investigate manga as a media and 95% of the manga in my PTR is now shoujo-ai/yuri.

So that one title become a favorite, I gained a favorite genre and it got me into manga. Definitely surpassed all expectations.

So yes, there are sleeper hits for everyone (even sleeper genres) and it's one of the reasons why even strange titles deserve a fair look because one may never know...
8oomerApr 8, 2016 11:05 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Apr 8, 2016 10:31 PM

Feb 2016
I think that would be Eureka Seven, it had been a long time in my list because didn't like very much the appearance of Eureka and also it was kind of old, and it is 50 episodes long, but when I decided to watch it I couldn't stop. I watched in 2 days.
This is my signature
Apr 8, 2016 11:34 PM

Jan 2011
Basically all my fave were ones I avoided like the plague before eventually giving them a chance ie One Piece and Gintama. Both looked like shit to me but I finally was like ah fuck it and watched them
Apr 8, 2016 11:46 PM

Jun 2012
Azumanga I suppose. My first exposure to it was a drab synopsis and an ugly looking thumbnail, but the anime itself was amazing when I gave it a chance.
Apr 8, 2016 11:49 PM

Jun 2013
Gintama, I actually hated it before I watched it for no real good reason. Something about Gintama just turned me off, but one day I decided that it was dumb of me to hate something without watching it, so I decided to give it a watch. At 1st I thought I was right about it being overrated, but eventually it became a favorite of mine before I knew it.
Apr 8, 2016 11:51 PM

Apr 2015
Akatsuki no Yona - I thought it was another generic reverse harem with a useless, annoying female protagonist surrounded by ugly guys, but oh boy was I wrong. So glad my friend was able to convince me to give it a chance. One of my most favorite anime, but also my #1 favorite manga

Haikyuu!! - I actually watched a few episodes of it before and dropped it cause I'm not into the sports volleyball at all, but a few months later I tried it again and now it's one of my most favorite anime

Hunter X Hunter - I always heard positive things about this series from other people, but I usually hate starting long-series anime and I thought the art wasn't very good and the MCs looked generic. But I just started watching it a few days ago cause I was bored and oh man, even though I'm only on episode 35 I love it so far. And most people say the best arc hasn't even come yet, so this definitely has potential to be on my top ten list anime

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 8, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2016
Definitely Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. I told myself that I would never watch either of those series, but my curiosity got the better of me one day and now it is one of my top favorites.
Apr 10, 2016 2:48 AM

May 2009
Osomatsu-san - thought it would be such a cheesy anime, even though it can be very vulgar I found it rather enjoyable.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Apr 10, 2016 3:15 AM
Sep 2011
Princess Tutu.

Not only did I never expect to truly love an anime about ballet, but I had heard a lot about how dark this particular show is, which was the main reason it emerged from obscurity after people wanted more to fill the void Madoka left. I thought I would be in for more constant suffering and crying, but instead the show was pretty mild on the dark themes, and actually told a beautiful story with some of the best developed characters I've seen in an anime.
Apr 10, 2016 3:18 AM

Nov 2012
most of my favorites really, because i never expect anything of a series when i start watching it.
Apr 10, 2016 3:26 AM

Jun 2015
Definitely gintama, first few episode were boring, but after like 20 episodes it turn out to be something awesome
Apr 10, 2016 3:49 AM

Jun 2015
Romeo x Juliet quickly became one of my favorites. At first, I thought it was going to follow the original Shakespearean play, which I thought was mediocre at best (though I enjoyed its simplistic humor). Turns out that the anime is absolutely different from the play, but in a positive way. The anime was thoroughly enjoyable and I loved most, if not all aspects of it.

Also, I expected one of my absolute favorite anime/manga to this day, Yona of the Dawn, to be some type of reverse-harem historical bullcrap, but it became really good after the 5th episode. And it's not really a reverse harem either.
Apr 10, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2014
Log Horizon. Log Horizon. Log Horizon. 500x Log Horizon.
I expected a SAO clone without the danger but instead received a story with brilliant characters and world building, with lots of societal commentaries.
Apr 10, 2016 11:26 PM
Feb 2015
I would definitely say Fate Zero. At first I found the anime to serious for my taste I'm the type of girl who tries to avoid the thriller/mystery type but there's something about Fate Zero that sucked me in and found myself falling in love with the anime. The anime definitely doesn't fall into the category of genre I like. Like I see no cheesy cute romance where the female has her own harem full of beautiful men who are trying to protect and love her in Zero but the action wins me over <3
Apr 10, 2016 11:30 PM

May 2014
Kuma said:
that's devinitely gintama. the first episode is soo fucking slow, and without realize it, it's already grown become my favorites.

100% this.
Also was not expecting HxH to be in my top 3 since I put off watching it for so damn long.
Apr 10, 2016 11:33 PM

Mar 2015
Haikyuu. Never watched any sports anime before this nor was I keen to try one, but this series definitely changed my view.
Apr 10, 2016 11:37 PM
Apr 2015
Yamada-kun and the 7 Bitches - turned out to be more than the average Harem type. It was genuinely hilarious, the plot was great and the characters were lovable.

Konosuba - another hilarious anime joins the list. It was as far from the cliched-trapped-in-RPG- as possible. The plot was slow but the characters and their interactions were great

Both shows had amazing art and voice acting
Apr 10, 2016 11:40 PM

Feb 2015
Fairy Tail: Thought it would suck and disappoint like other long running battle shounen I'd already tried, but fell in love with it after episode 20, after which it only got better (at least until the end of season 1).

Seto no Hanayome: Thought it to be fairly generic comedy show at first, but it's absolutely hilarious.
Apr 10, 2016 11:46 PM
Mar 2008
Easy, just to name one: Majin Bone.
To me, that was THE surprise of 2014. I expected some crap like "Gaist Crusher" (which i dropped) but still hoped that it would be better. And damn, it not only was better, but its probably the best Anime in this kind of Genre/setting/whatever. Its certainly more for the younger teens but it treated then with a lot of respect and not like some brainless assholes unlike Gaist Crusher did and most anime in that range do just because the audience are younger teens.
Apr 10, 2016 11:47 PM

Oct 2013
Noragami
Baccano

I thought they would be boring (noragami cuz of tje gods) but it was awesome
Apr 10, 2016 11:54 PM

May 2015
Shingeki no Kyojin - Now that I think about it at first I didn’t like how the Titans appearance (promo art) but when I saw them in the first episode + the flow of the story, I was instantly hook up to the series... and now I can’t wait for season 2!
Apr 11, 2016 12:03 AM

Jan 2016
All of them, really.

- Akuma no Riddle & Assassination Classroom I didn't find great from the first few episodes, but I was addicted to them by halfway through.
- Tokyo Ghoul I avoided because I didn't like the poster, but then I watched both seasons in one day.
- I knew nothing about Noragami but randomly clicked on it on AnimeLab and it ended up being great
- Kamisama Hajimemashita I felt obliged to watch because it was recommended by a friend, but I was surprised at how emotionally invested I became in the story and characters.
Apr 11, 2016 2:05 AM

Feb 2014
kaichou wa maid sama...                        
fairyApr 11, 2016 2:09 AM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 3 )

Deathlydash - Sep 19

118 by ColourWheel »»
15 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - Yesterday

45 by Archean-Return »»
23 minutes ago

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

196 by Archean-Return »»
38 minutes ago

» What makes a waifu waifu?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

6 by Little_Sheepling »»
41 minutes ago

» Are there any cute boys doing cute things anime?

Mattenan - 2 hours ago

6 by RainyEvenings »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.