Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »
Dec 31, 2012 8:13 PM

Dec 2012
SAO is a great anime :) i do think the story goes a bit to fast though, that continiously fast forwarding, but it would get boring if they slowed it down, either way, its a great anime.. fun to watch ! and come on, who wouldn't want virtual gaming xD i know i want it
Jan 2, 2013 5:37 AM

Oct 2010
Finally something worth to possibly change my top5!

top 3 anime: Code Geass | One Piece | Death Note
Jan 13, 2013 7:55 PM

May 2011
Amazing prep and raid. I really like Asuna already (her intro was good) and her partnership/coordination with Kirito was really cool. I know the series is about those two, so this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. That final blow on the boss was EPIC.

Too bad about the former captain's death though, he was a very valuable asset but his greed got the better of him. It was pretty emotional.

Oh yeah, the big guy with the axe is a BRO.

Well played at the end there Kirito.

5/5!
Kayaba-Jan 14, 2013 9:46 AM
Jan 14, 2013 9:16 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty awesome. He lost some health and I wonder if Asuna will follow him onto the next floor.
Feb 19, 2013 5:02 AM

Dec 2012
I want to read the novels SO BAD! They actually have the character development that makes all these characters meaningful! I mean, they the prep for the boss and the fight for it in the same episode. You get like 5 seconds to see what the characters used to be then they instantly become super courageous and brave! They aren't really portraying these characters as real people struggling and learning to survive a dangerous newfound world! Oh well, at least they made 25 eps. Some interesting plot should develop by then.
Feb 27, 2013 3:36 PM

Sep 2011
Beater, huh? That just sounds so cheesy :D

That sudden one month timeskip felt kind of awkward. Well, I guess they can't fit everything in an anime, but it was still pretty weird :/

He really should have stayed with Asuna, though I can guess that they will be together again pretty soon.

Speaking of Asuna, I'm liking the seiyuu cast so far. I like Tomatsu Haruka and I already know that there will be people like Taketatsu Ayana and Itou Kanae here as well (two of my favorites).
Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM

Apr 2009
RazielZero said:

That sudden one month timeskip felt kind of awkward. Well, I guess they can't fit everything in an anime, but it was still pretty weird :/

They can't fit something into it because there is nothing. Timsekips are a very bad subtitute for character development, a shame nobody told the author this.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 28, 2013 1:40 PM

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
RazielZero said:

They can't fit something into it because there is nothing. Timsekips are a very bad subtitute for character development, a shame nobody told the author this.

Eh, is that so? Oh well... :/
Feb 28, 2013 1:47 PM
Oct 2012
RazielZero said:
Nidhoeggr said:
RazielZero said:

Eh, is that so? Oh well... :/

Nah, he just hasn't understood how the novels are structured even after flaming here for almost a year.
The problem was that they tried to fit too much into the anime.
Feb 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
whatever123456 said:

Nah, he just hasn't understood how the novels are structured even after flaming here for almost a year.
The problem was that they tried to fit too much into the anime.

Well, whatever, it was still weird nevertheless.
Apr 2, 2013 4:38 PM
Oct 2012
What with this only being the secon episode, I don't really have much of an opinion yet but I like Kirito and what appeared to be a decision to play the villain to keep the other players from fighting. It seems like Asuna might just be pretending to be new but she could just be good at games, I don't know.
I don't think it felt rushed but it felt short. The first episode did too. I actually had to double check if the episodes were really half an hour because they felt more like fifteen minutes.
May 19, 2013 4:01 PM

Aug 2009
dem feels.

Badass

then

hnnng

okay i should stop typing
May 21, 2013 11:10 PM

Jun 2012
Wow Asuna is so pure.
May 23, 2013 9:17 AM
May 2013
I really like this episode it really drew me in ^^
Jun 3, 2013 4:16 PM
Jan 2013
Didn't this guy die in episode 1?
Jun 22, 2013 2:59 PM

Mar 2009
This is turning out to be fantastic so far, I was not expecting it.

Kirito is badass, and his monologue at the end was great!

From what I take, it seems he will work solo and try to beat the game himself to save everyone else.
He made his speech to make everyone hate/fear him, so they will leave him be.
I like that they portrayed it this way. Starting with him being kind of shady by going ahead of everybody to get a big head start. To his feeling remorse, manning up, and taking the weight of the "world" on his shoulders alone. Cliche I know, but still greatly executed, and very inspiring!

I am excited for what's next, though I hope it doesn't fail in the second cour like so many say.

Urahara Out!!
Jul 15, 2013 5:58 AM

Apr 2010
Very interesting, but now I wonder if Kirito intended to sound so mean. He's going to be alone now? I hope Asuna doesn't leave him.

He almost reminds me of myself in online games, kinda left out. My feels for Kirito . . . .
Jul 19, 2013 11:18 AM

Jun 2013
Wow, I was REALLY skeptical about watching this anime, and the first episode didn't really impress me all that well, but after watching the second episode, I can already tell that I will become hooked on this series ^_^

The whole idea of being stuck in an internet RPG game battling real life death really intrigues me. I like the characters presented so far, especially Kirito, Asuna & Klein (sp?). I can't wait to continue more of it >~<
Jul 19, 2013 11:20 AM

Jun 2013
Rueby said:
Very interesting, but now I wonder if Kirito intended to sound so mean. He's going to be alone now? I hope Asuna doesn't leave him.

He almost reminds me of myself in online games, kinda left out. My feels for Kirito . . . .

I understand your feels ;~;
And I think he only did that to keep the others from fighting about the beta tester deal, he rather shoulder the whole burden than get others involved v.v
Jul 29, 2013 10:47 AM
Dec 2010
Lol..that was pretty dumb.. The leader did not mind getting killed as long as he gets the cloak.
Aug 2, 2013 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
yup this ones gonna be a winner, no doubt.

Aug 4, 2013 11:37 AM

Jul 2007
Kiriko's a boss, enough said. Had everyone fooled

Aug 8, 2013 5:50 AM

Jul 2013
This anime is awesome! I loved the second episode, I totally didn't expect it to be this good.

I was watching the dub but how could they didn't beep out the word b-----d but did when he said f-ing?! They're both swear words. I don't get that.
Aug 12, 2013 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
Not bad.

Wasn't really interested in this show, but I had some free time and had seen that it was brought to Toonami, so I watched it on demand last night.

It doesn't seem GREAT, but so far it's decent enough to warrant a watch. Hopefully it gets better. Problem with shows like this is that I hate waiting every week, when I know I could watch a subbed version online when I've got the time :P

It'l be a test of restraint I guess. I'm wondering how these guys are supposed to complete the game before they die, though? I mean, your body cant survive without fluid for too long, and they haven't explained anything related to that, yet.
Aug 14, 2013 2:33 AM

Nov 2012
I haven't even read the manga/novel but I could tell it was rushed. Personally I wouldn't mind Sword Art Online being 50 Episodes instead of 25 if it meant every episode does the original story justice. Then again FMA:B did 51 episodes and it still wasn't perfect. I want SAO to be as fleshed out as possible because I can tell I'm going to love it and maybe give it 10/10 if it doesn't rush.
Aug 18, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2013
This anime is my favorite. 2 episodes and i'm already hooked!

I also love that midnight cloak thing he earnt himself. I kinda want the girl to get out of the rags and get some armour though. :/
Sep 6, 2013 9:22 AM

Mar 2013
Laquendi said:
Some things seem wrong about this episode:
-Dafuq is Diabel talking about the highest level boss room? Why? Does it come as some kind of huge surprise that the highest floor has a boss room? And how does he even know that kind of stuff?
-Raid system seems strange? What's the point of being in supporting party if the ones who are actually fighting the boss get all items and exp? Wouldn't it make more sense to go with only one party?
-Kirito tries to save Diabel, but Diabel would rather have a speech about how he used to be a beta tester too?
-Why does Kirito think Diabel was a good guy when he just learned that he was a greedy fuck who tried to use them all for his own benefit?
-Kibaou's speach after they defeated the boss makes no sense at all. While no-one except Kirito knows 100% that Diabel was a beta tester too, it's painfully clear that no-one ordered Diabel to jump in all by himself. Besides Kirito has all the information needed to clear his name (and all the accusations against the beta testers are false anyways, so you would think that they would side with him rather than Kibaou), but because he is socially retard he instead decides that the world is evil and against him and he will never again be so foolish as to group with other people. Good thinking there!

He held the words of diabel who said to lead the other guys. WHat i thought he did is trick them into believing that he is so pro, so that they would follow him in the end . But then he left. So what i believe we will see in the nexts ep's is Kirito somehow helping newbies?
Sep 22, 2013 4:37 PM

Jan 2013
Why do I have the feeling that he is taking it all over himself. So that the others don't turn against each-other. Good plan... but he should have kept Asuna with him, bet next episode is when she joins once again.
I also don't get why Diabel would refuse help to survive, and if he was a beta tester... was he so weak that he couldn't have beaten the first boss?
Also the way the others think is just outrageous. Even if one is the weakest beta tester but let's say he got up some levels in beta... shouldn't they follow him and help him level up to defeat last level rather than going against him... The main object here is survival, not who's got a bigger ego than the other.

Though I think the anime would be boring that way, so let's see it :D.
Oct 15, 2013 4:18 PM

Jul 2007
o_0 wow, what a twist. I did not expect that at all, Kirito basically trolled everyone. That was awesome man. I am guessing that this character Asuna is also some what on the same level as Kirito.

That was a great fight, so literally all the damage he took was fake? Just a cover up for his real identity, then he finally just slaughtered the boss like it was nothing.

Can't wait to see this story develop, at first i was thinking it was going to be a little generic run of the mill climb the floors to the top and defeat each boss but im pleased that the series is more dynamic then that.

I will definitely keep watching this one.

Oct 21, 2013 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
Oh, Kirito, you badass : )
Oct 29, 2013 2:16 PM

Oct 2011
Kirito is awesome! Hoping to see some more development of Asuna next episode though.
Nov 4, 2013 1:47 PM

Apr 2012
Spikyhead isn't gonna get very far if every time someone helps him get to the next level he starts trashing them.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Nov 29, 2013 12:24 PM

May 2013
Kirito looks so much hotter with his Midnight cloak on ;)

and I love the way Asuna was revealed aaahhhhh~ so pretty~
they are too cute working together :')
and her giggle at the end of the ep <3 too adorbs
Dec 13, 2013 8:31 AM

Jul 2013
It was so-so, until last 2-3 minutes when Kirito entered Light/Kira mode and laughed like a psychopath, LOL. I hope it will get better, and it's not just a group of players fighting with bosses...

Asuna was kinda annoying.

AND WHERE IS KLEIN???? D:
Jan 14, 2014 7:07 PM
Jul 2013
Woah, the battle was great movements Kirito and Asuna are good, that speed. The Ending is so.
Jan 17, 2014 1:04 AM
Oct 2011
Great second episode.
Y U NO SIGNATURE
Jan 20, 2014 6:08 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The dude with the spikes haircut should put up or kill himself if he's gonna complain every time his hide is saved by his betters.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 29, 2014 10:39 PM
Nov 2010
And...I thought Kirito was taking one for the team (ie the seeds of doubt about cheate amongst the group that's spreading fast) by focusing the hate on himself? And apparently none of the novel readers considered this so basically my interpretation was more of an accidental stuff up by the director? LOL this show is funnier than I thought, but..still gonna drop.

Terrible portrayal of humans in a helpless situation - this is life and death people and after a month you'd think the fact would've settled in for some. Diabel basically refused something that will save his LIFE by giving an out of the blue speech on the main character? Really...Maybe the message of this show is: video gamers are all retards....
Feb 11, 2014 2:26 AM

Jan 2014
I'm glad I decided to continue watching, the 1st episode was meh for me and I didn't know what to think. I'm excited for the next episode.
Feb 23, 2014 10:37 AM

Apr 2009
Beta tester + cheater = Beater?

lol that's terrible
Feb 23, 2014 2:36 PM

Aug 2013
So we got to see the first boss. And we got to met the main girl I guess.

I was pretty much sure the first time I saw the blue haired guy that he would die, but I thought that he would die cowardly.

Also, why did Kirito took all the blame? Because he didn't to drag into dirt the other guy?

Beater, that's such an ugly nickname :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 19, 2014 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
Hahah, I loved this one.
It was funny to me when
Kirito took all the blame.
And the reaction of others.
HUEHUEHUEHUE ^____^
Mar 29, 2014 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah suppose it did feel rushed
Apr 15, 2014 7:14 AM
Apr 2014
I just started watching this show and this episode could very easily be the reason I stop. The characters in this show don't at all act like a real person would. The leader got hurt and refused a potion for no reason and let himself die. Absolutely no person in the world would refuse something as trivial as a potion if it meant they wouldn't die.
Jun 10, 2014 1:56 AM

Dec 2012
I can never get enough of Kirito's battle cries, they really pump me up especially with the epic ost. This was a solid first boss fight and I enjoyed Kirito and Asuna's chemistry as party members, especially when they went for the kill. RIP to Diabel, it still makes me shudder to think that even though they just turn into fairy dust in the game, they're being tortured to death in the real world.
Jun 15, 2014 9:27 AM

Oct 2013
This was an pretty good episode,so Diabel died and the first boss was so strong,can't wait to see the other bosses.

Jun 16, 2014 5:46 AM

May 2011
Most of you guys probably noticed this, but I still would like to share-
Ep 2 around 13:58 background music same as F/Z "You are my king" but a softer version !!
Immediately checked the staff for who did the music and it was Kajiura Yuki! No wonder!! Though a bit disappointed that they did recycling of music for this show. Music is also sort of an identity for any show I believe. Recycling ruined this unique experience for this show !
Jun 27, 2014 9:13 PM

Jun 2014
4.5/5

I still think this episode is a little weaker on the whole than most of the ones that come later on (7-15 are really strong, imho). But, the introduction of Asuna and the first developments of her relationship with Kirito bolster it a bit. The first real bit of action with the boss fight is of course nice too.

I found myself wondering two things at this point, though:

1) How is Asuna so strong relative to other people? Kirito's strength is explained by his previous beta testing experience and subsequent knowledge of tactics and exploits. What about Asuna?

2) Why is Kirito so set on being a solo player? He worked really well with Asuna, so why did he immediately disband their party? Just because he decided to take the heat as a "beater" to get everyone to stop worrying about the other beta testers?
Jul 5, 2014 12:02 AM

Jul 2008
So what if the guy is a freaking beater...I'd be sticking to him like glue if I wanted to survive this hell game.

Idiots all around...
Jul 17, 2014 1:49 AM

May 2013
OST gave me goosebumps!

Around 2000 players have died and the first boss has yet to be cleared.
But Kirito and Cute Asuna take the boss down with awesome skills and teamwork!
Too bad Diabel died and Kibaou's a jerk. Good thing Agil is here.

I guess it's up to Kirito the Beater to hypercarry everyone else with his awesome Coat of Midnight.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Pages (16) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »

More topics from this board

» Best anime ? ( 1 2 3 )

inthelovedotorg - Jun 11

108 by Inqo »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1270 by Artromex »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2012

769 by Artromex »»
Jun 25, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 18, 2012

752 by Artromex »»
Jun 24, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 15, 2012

903 by stverc »»
Jun 21, 5:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.