Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 6, 2016 8:37 AM

Sep 2014
What an awesome episode! Loved the whole thing, great flashbacks, so that's how these three kids met each other. Safe to say Gin and Zura hasn't changed a bit xD
Takasugi on the other hand...

Kagura's speech was badass! You know you're strong when Kamui puts on that menacing look. Also a rare sight to see him not smiling.

And that ED, seeing how everyone's growing up was pretty heartwarming. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 6, 2016 8:44 AM

Jul 2014
The flashback was beautiful. Tears were running threw my eyes.

The visuals in the ending to me was beautiful. The change in Edo was really what got me.
Jan 6, 2016 8:48 AM
Oct 2011
Nice episode. The Kagura vs Kamui fight + their small flashback made me sad, I feel bad for Kamui, seems like he has that mother complex.
Jan 6, 2016 8:57 AM

Nov 2014
Pocoyoyo said:
KannaAyasaki said:
Holy shit what the hell are they doing, how could they toying with my feeling like this, one sec it was an intense fight another sec it was a fluffy flashback, which direction are you going to lead me to you've literally torn my heaaaaarrttt

Absolutely loved the OP, DOES sure is a perfect fuel for the epicness. But the ED seriously hooked me up, I literally had tears in my eyes, it's just amazing to see how much they've grown up...

And I can't help but thinking about OkiKagu during the sibling quarrel--I mean, Okita indirectly helping Kagura in this fight, yeah? Lol I'm sorry but my shipper soul just can't help but taking over my instinct at that point

Sometimes our Okikagu shipper soul just takes over ^_^ I have this same problem xD

Glad to know I'm not alone :)) Being a shipper sure is hard and convenient at the same time~
Jan 6, 2016 9:00 AM
Aug 2015
shit, i have to hold my hand not to read the manga.pure epicness. make me want to see next episode as soon as posible
Jan 6, 2016 9:03 AM

Aug 2013
it's not a serious arc until there's a DOES song
Jan 6, 2016 9:27 AM

May 2015
KannaAyasaki said:
Pocoyoyo said:

Sometimes our Okikagu shipper soul just takes over ^_^ I have this same problem xD

Glad to know I'm not alone :)) Being a shipper sure is hard and convenient at the same time~

But for the most part it's fun :'D I pity people who don't think they're adorable together xD This has nothing to do with the episode but who cares

Just at look at them :o fangirling all over again
I don't know if you read the manga but there are more Okikagu moments incoming xD
Jan 6, 2016 9:32 AM
Dec 2013
After 2 weeks of waiting, here it is. Man man man man oh man, I'm absolutely lovin' this episode! Takasugi vs Gintoki, Kamui vs Kagura, and the best of all, DAT INNOCENT SMILE TAKASUGI-KUN! Epic episode is epic. Nuff said

But I'll be better get ready for next week's episode; the climax and the frigging feels... I mean you know:

NANDESUKA KORE?
Jan 6, 2016 9:48 AM

Aug 2008
Didn't expect new OP and ED. Fight is ok, flashback got in the way. The flashback is great though. Where is Katsura with all this happening?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 6, 2016 10:06 AM

Jul 2010
Not a fan of the new OP but new ED is nice, especially like seeing all the pictures showing how they grew up.
Jan 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Sep 2013
wtf? the op was just a rehash of the arc :'(
Maybe they'll replace it when it's over, if not what a disappointment :(

A mommy fight between kagura and kamui XD XD

That backstory was good :'(
Takasugi was happy :'(

treedude said:
This will complete a cour and then the anime will go on hiatus till more material comes out.

If it comes back.
I don't know if they think it's worth making more anime after this (from a financial standpoint).
Jan 6, 2016 10:14 AM

Oct 2014
looool, are they fucking serious ?!? Like I can wait a hole week to see the next episode... wtf was this intense. The fight was very well done with this flashbacks. opaf!
Jan 6, 2016 10:15 AM

Aug 2012
Shoyo sensei is too cute and very insightful; so glad I finally get to see him :]
I loved what he said, "Victors only gain self-satisfaction and conceit, but you have gained something far meaningful."
"Bushido is the will to discipline one's weak self in order to reach one's stronger self. It refers to the act of devoting ones self to ones ideals."
Little Gintoki is frickin adorableeee! Lil Katsura is hilarious & so sweet, especially the riceball scenes :P :D
When little Takasugi laughed I started tearing up; I know deep down inside he's not a bad guy.
Even though he sliced up Gintoki real bad, hmph!
Katsura & Kamui!!! :O
More about the past in the next episode! Can't wait :D :D
Jan 6, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
Oh what a great episode !! Takasugi's fight with Gin, my God, why gin who lost; -;
The opening did not like a lot of thought through '' polluted '' but the closing <3
Jan 6, 2016 10:54 AM

Dec 2014
Apart from the op song can't even close my eyes. Gintoki's sensei was sure hell of a guy. total respect for the dude
Jan 6, 2016 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
OMG this was soooooooooo GOOOOOOOOD OMG
Jan 6, 2016 11:03 AM
Feb 2015
Epicness OMG! Amazing episode. That flashback and that fight man!!!
Jan 6, 2016 11:08 AM

Oct 2015
Such a satisfying episode, especially since I've been waiting for this episode for what seems like forever.

I really liked all the flashbacks. Kagura's moment of becoming strong enough to at least challenge her extremely injured brother is great. (Thank you so much Okita) I like how it's not saying she's as strong as him just because lawls, but because he was already injured. Let's hope Okita and Kagura never fight seriously because that outcome is eehhh... Bad for her.

What a random tangent, anyway yeah, great episode.

Jan 6, 2016 11:23 AM
Jun 2009
Awesome episode....next week THAT moment it's finally gonna be animated!
Jan 6, 2016 11:29 AM

Oct 2014
lvlachine said:
Awesome episode....next week THAT moment it's finally gonna be animated!
Im hyped as fuck even I dont know what happen xD
Jan 6, 2016 11:29 AM

Feb 2010
Felt like naruto with all those flashbacks
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Jan 6, 2016 12:03 PM
Nov 2014
Good shit, can't wait for next week.

5/5.
Jan 6, 2016 12:08 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, this might just become my favorite arc.
Jan 6, 2016 12:10 PM

Oct 2012
So worth the two week wait; every episode this arc just gets better and better
Jan 6, 2016 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
this episode was so epic! and i really loved the flashback as well!
Jan 6, 2016 1:01 PM

Oct 2010
The hype is real, now back to waiting rewatching the episode for another week.
Jan 6, 2016 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
OP and ED are meh.
The flashback was fantastic, but in a way it made the Gin vs Takasugi fight a bit too fragmented for me to fully appreciate it. The animation wasn't much more than average as well so that didn't help and considering this was one of the most awaited fights in the series I am slightly disappointed.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 6, 2016 2:09 PM

Oct 2011
Shoyo-sensei was the link between them. OMG

More flashbacks too OMG OMG
Jan 6, 2016 2:11 PM
Nov 2013
DOES!!!!!!!!!! KNOW KNOW KNOW!!
Jan 6, 2016 2:36 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
goddesu said:
it's not a serious arc until there's a DOES song

Exactly what I was thinking when the OP started X)

Daaamn loving those flashbacks in the midst of Gintoki vs. Takasugi fight. Finally got to see how they all met each other.

Learning that Kamui hides his injuries like he used to was also interesting.
Jan 6, 2016 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
These flashbacks is what I've been waiting for and so far they've lived up to my expectations.

I got teary eyed during the part where Takasugi smiled.

Gintoki can't be done yet!
Jan 6, 2016 5:09 PM

Jul 2010
I...can't.I just can't.This is too good : |
Jan 6, 2016 5:31 PM

Feb 2011
Full of epic-ness episode... manly tears overflowing...

The ending song animation is so meaningful... not just for the series but also relates through your own life... like those photo's... people you encounter in your lifetime come and go... either it's natural or for a reason...
Jan 6, 2016 5:59 PM

Jan 2011
OP and ED were good nothing amazing and anything is better than the last seasons OP for me i bet there gonna change the visuals later on since all of it seems like stuff regarding this arc.

episode was great but all the fight teases cutting to letter boxed flashbacks granted were good but pls!

also for as long as we been seeing Shouyou still can't get over it why all the good guys gotta go first ;-;
Jan 6, 2016 6:04 PM
Jan 2015
Been waiting to see this animated, was glorious like I expected.
Jan 6, 2016 6:58 PM

Aug 2013
''He broke my hymen!''
Holy shit, Gintoki, even chibi you were freaking hilarious. The sensei looks great too. And more importantly... He's not faceless! That mean we'll probably learn Gintoki story. For real this time

I'm surprised that Gintoki was that superior to Takasugi. I always assumed that they were on the same level.

I'm not a fan of the new OP. The visuals are recycled (though, I guess it is only temporary). The new ED really great thought. It has a nostalgia touch on it. Oh man, this makes me worry even more :|
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 6, 2016 8:34 PM
May 2014
Absolutely epic episode! The fight between Gintoki and Takasugi was amazing. I preferred the OP to the ED. The ED was a little to cheerful for me, although the ED had the better visuals. Non-Manga readers, prepare your bodies and souls. More crazy Gintama twists, turns and epicness coming your way!
Jan 6, 2016 9:18 PM

Dec 2015
ReinhardVonMusel said:
Felt like naruto with all those flashbacks

naruto is a child plays to compare to gintama XD
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 6, 2016 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
New OP song isn't as iconic as Donten and Shura yet but I'm sure it will eventually. Visuals sucked though, so messy. The theory that it'll change once the anime finishes this arc better be true.

Awesome fighting from both pairs, especially Gintoki/Takasugi.

Hope to see more of Kagura/Kamui's past. Young!Gintoki, Katsura and Takasugi are ADORABLE.

Lovely ED, got me right in the feels.Especially when they showed the four Jouishi after the war. (Also anime staff, HOW DARE YOU KEEP BRINGING UP MITSU AND MAKING EVERYONE CRY)
Jan 6, 2016 9:22 PM

Dec 2015
geralt said:
OP and ED are meh.
The flashback was fantastic, but in a way it made the Gin vs Takasugi fight a bit too fragmented for me to fully appreciate it. The animation wasn't much more than average as well so that didn't help and considering this was one of the most awaited fights in the series I am slightly disappointed.

I know, the fight is much better in manga tbh
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 6, 2016 10:09 PM
Dec 2014
Joy4ever said:
geralt said:
OP and ED are meh.

I know, the fight is much better in manga tbh

You're blind. That was not average animation. Especially near the end of the episode where Takasugi and Gintoki are swinging ferociously at each other. Screenshot frames and you'll notice how detailed this fight is. Are you sure it's the animation you're complaining about and not something like the choreography?

The only better fight in this season has been Saito vs Katsura, but that was only one fight. This arc has soooo many, so of course the quality won't be as perfect as that.
Jan 6, 2016 10:22 PM
May 2010
Zapredon said:
Didn't expect new OP and ED. Fight is ok, flashback got in the way. The flashback is great though. Where is Katsura with all this happening?

Obviously on a freaking stand by

About the OP though, it may be not as awesome as Donten or Shura but I think it'll grow on me
Jan 6, 2016 10:25 PM

Mar 2014
One of the best episodes of the entire series.

One of the best 1v1 sword fights in anime.

First episode of the year and wouldn't be farfecthed to say will remain as the best anime episode of the year.

The goat is too strong with this/5.
Jan 6, 2016 10:47 PM
Sep 2015
Ah... Gintama, you start out strong for the year. Visceral and fast sword fighting between Gintoki and Takasugi while Kagura and Kamui have a typical sibling quarrel and Shinpachi getting in on the action.

The OP's visuals were pretty weak though and some parts of the animation did seem not at par with the rest of the episode (at the start) to me. Also wish the OP and ED songs could be as epic as Donten and Donten but these are minor gripes

Overall, this is looking to be the adaptation of the manga I was looking forward to when I read this part last year.

I will predict that people are going to lose their heads after next week's episode.
Jan 7, 2016 2:43 AM

Aug 2013
Dammit Gintoki y u no use a real sword this time? just cuz Takasugi is human? :/

He took some serious dmg there, i wonder how long Gintoki will last and i wonder if Takasugi took any hits in the last one (doesnt seem like it)

The flashbacks were good, Katsura is epic as always xD (Btw WHERE IS HE? WHY DOES HE NOT APPEAR!)
Jan 7, 2016 4:03 AM

Nov 2007
I cannot explain how much I am loving the ED. Has been playing in loops for the last few hours! The changing pictures of the past and the present hit me on the right spot. I love this anime. There isn't another anime that made me this emotionally invested for so many years. :')
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 7, 2016 4:48 AM

Jan 2014
Animation was better but still average but plot saved this episode.

5/5

New opening was meh.
Jan 7, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2015
Great Techniques was shown in this episode alone, every detail is great and the fighting scene was really epic combined with flashback which makes Takasugi admirable that he defeated Gintoki both in the past and the present which makes me 'Gintamasm' (*-*)

At the same time Kagura's Resolve can't be underestimated and Kamui is really ruthless who doesn't holdback no matter who he fights[well he killed many girls]
Jan 7, 2016 6:10 AM

Sep 2014
Don't care about OP and ED. It's ALL about the past arc that we finally get to see! The fight has been adapted to perfection. They really used up a lot of their budget for this arc and it shows. Movie-like quality.

Can't wait for the next episode. <3
Jan 7, 2016 6:21 AM

Dec 2015
treedude said:

You're blind. That was not average animation. Especially near the end of the episode where Takasugi and Gintoki are swinging ferociously at each other. Screenshot frames and you'll notice how detailed this fight is. Are you sure it's the animation you're complaining about and not something like the choreography?

The only better fight in this season has been Saito vs Katsura, but that was only one fight. This arc has soooo many, so of course the quality won't be as perfect as that.

I do notice the details but those details shown in the manga better, I think they push the fight faster, too much details are combined in one scene, but then again remember the Benizuka arc which gintoki and zura fight the harusame together, a lot of details shown in one scene but somehow it was perfect
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

253 by Gentoki01 »»
Jun 16, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.