Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 24, 2015 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
It was good to see Ayato kicked those puppets' asses so badly. He is sure so bad-ass in this episode.
Oct 24, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2008
SO... Claudia is the token Evil Friend/Ally candy see her as not being it lol... And there has to be a time when he increases his limit .... since this feels like a 'layered seal' or leveled one.. so level 1 2-5 minutes level 2 30-60 minutes level 3 etc could be wrong but makes the most sense... and more of Gunner-chan and #1 next :3 Though I still do enjoy Juis the most in this uh... Harem that isnt a Harem but it is? Since the winner was decided in advance :D
Oct 24, 2015 10:32 AM
May 2014
FlareKnight said:
konatachan80 said:
If she really did believe that, then she must've preferred him to be killed or whatnot..whether he was losing himself or not.

I mean, intentionally weakening him would potentially make him prey to weaker
enemies. Enemies he otherwise could've dealt with himself.

Well no one ever said she was the smartest sister in the world :).

Plus, Ayato knows his limitations. If he puts himself into a situation and fights past his known limits that's also partly on him for being reckless. After all if his power is dangerous to himself then are you saying she should have preferred he kill himself by over using his power? Your argument works the other way as well. So long as we don't know about Ayato's power or why his sister did what she did.

True, the argument works the other way too..if she didn't trust her brother at all.
There's that saying, "if it works, don't fix it" which she seems to have broken, no matter her reason.

@Acridine, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
In the best case she seems to be an example of that saying..at least so far.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Oct 24, 2015 10:33 AM

Jun 2015
So is Claudia bad or something?

It looks like she was in cahoots with that guy at the end, and he looked like a clone of Ayato, I wouldn't be surprised if he was. I hope this isn't an anime where most of the characters are bad in some way.
Oct 24, 2015 10:37 AM

Apr 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

It was her power.......no one else can use it.

It's true that it's her power (which I forgot already lol), but nothing ever said powers are exclusive to one person, correct me if I'm wrong. It would make for a decent plot twist, but it's probably unlikely at this point. Maybe her opponent's power in the Festa when she was injured/killed was the ability to copy his opponent's... if so, maybe once she got chained, she knew she could no longer be strong enough to protect Ayato. But ultimately we don't know why the chains appeared after she was injured... I can't tell if they were around her or her opponent.

So much hypothesizing O.o

Edit: JK, went back and watched and the chains were clearly around her opponent. Interesting...
GileonFletcherOct 24, 2015 10:49 AM
Oct 24, 2015 10:41 AM

Jun 2014
Decent action in this episode, but I'm more interested in that ending with Claudia and those two women.

Looks like I'm not the only one who got some Star Wars vibes from the battle in this episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 24, 2015 10:57 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I don't mind the clichés this time, it was actually very well done IMO. Best episode so far.
Oct 24, 2015 10:58 AM

Sep 2013
This show is so similar to the other ongoing series Rakudai kishi no cavalry that I keep on mixing the strories of the two.

Well we know now that MC is really OP but they added some kind of restraint plot on him so he wouldnt be able to beat up his opponent easily.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 24, 2015 11:01 AM
Aug 2012
GileonFletcher said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

It was her power.......no one else can use it.

It's true that it's her power (which I forgot already lol), but nothing ever said powers are exclusive to one person, correct me if I'm wrong. It would make for a decent plot twist, but it's probably unlikely at this point. Maybe her opponent's power in the Festa when she was injured/killed was the ability to copy his opponent's... if so, maybe once she got chained, she knew she could no longer be strong enough to protect Ayato. But ultimately we don't know why the chains appeared after she was injured... I can't tell if they were around her or her opponent.

So much hypothesizing O.o

Edit: JK, went back and watched and the chains were clearly around her opponent. Interesting...

Good job noticing that......

As for the abilities, there are a very few number of Dante and Strega and their power aren't really similar. Well so far there isn't any clear indication of powers being exclusive (or maybe i am forgetting something) but it has been implied as such. Well she did activate that chains, what happened afterwards is still a mystery.

thebrentinator24 said:
Decent action in this episode, but I'm more interested in that ending with Claudia and those two women.

Looks like I'm not the only one who got some Star Wars vibes from the battle in this episode.

Looking at the puppets, i got similar vibes to I-Robot(Movie) or Binary Domain(Game). Maybe people don't know about those 2 that much.......

Oct 24, 2015 11:35 AM

Jan 2015
Xynic said:
This show is so similar to the other ongoing series Rakudai kishi no cavalry that I keep on mixing the strories of the two.

So true. The 4th episode of Gakusen has romance development, Rakudai has romance development in the 4th episode as well LOL. This is so funny.
Oct 24, 2015 11:36 AM

Apr 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Well she did activate that chains, what happened afterwards is still a mystery.

No matter how you look at it, that's a seriously OP ability and kind of scary... the freedom to shackle and suppress anyone's power at will.
Oct 24, 2015 11:36 AM

May 2015
Jayden said:
So is Claudia bad or something?

It looks like she was in cahoots with that guy at the end, and he looked like a clone of Ayato, I wouldn't be surprised if he was. I hope this isn't an anime where most of the characters are bad in some way.

I don't think bad, but morally gray. I've read a little into the books...it's a postapocalyptic world and apart from Asterisk it pretty much sucks. So it would be reasonable to have characters on the good side do bad things. I'm honestly quite pleasantly surprised to see a battle harem light novel with moral ambiguity since the protagonist's side is usually always a group of paragons.
Oct 24, 2015 11:45 AM

Aug 2014
Decent episode, Ayato just kicked some nobody's ass. I don't even remember that guy's name anymore.
Lester jobbed really hard and got left there, never to be seen again. Not saying that I expected him to be strong or anything.. Why was he supposed to be there again?

Meh overall. No Saya at all in this episode, AGAIN. Nothing special to see here..
Oct 24, 2015 11:49 AM
Aug 2012
GileonFletcher said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Well she did activate that chains, what happened afterwards is still a mystery.

No matter how you look at it, that's a seriously OP ability and kind of scary... the freedom to shackle and suppress anyone's power at will.

Well there are others with more OP abilities........not to mention she did lose. The usefulness of the ability also depends on the user and situations.

If people think Ayato and his sister are OP, then they are in for quite a surprise.

Kay_Lite said:
Decent episode, Ayato just kicked some nobody's ass. I don't even remember that guy's name anymore.
Lester jobbed really hard and got left there, never to be seen again. Not saying that I expected him to be strong or anything.. Why was he supposed to be there again?

Meh overall. No Saya at all in this episode, AGAIN. Nothing special to see here..

No need to remember the guys name......he was a pawn after all.

But just to refresh your memory..........Lester was called there so our no name guy can take out two Festa opponents and make it look like they took each other out. Also the puppets were specially made to counter Lester and Julis's abilities.......it doesn't make them weak but badly outmatched. All of this was said in this episode......learn to pay attention.
Dragon_Slayer_XOct 24, 2015 11:53 AM

Oct 24, 2015 11:50 AM

Jan 2015
Despite the episode being riddled with cliche's and a sup par "villain" I enjoyed the episode yet again.

It's really enjoyable to watch especially since the characters are pretty likable for the most part.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Oct 24, 2015 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
that creep was behind those attacks and he's controlling robots or some shit and his sister sealed his power
Oct 24, 2015 11:55 AM

Jul 2013
The fight was adapted pretty well from what I remember and the OST was good.

Best girl Kirin next episode. Can't wait!
Oct 24, 2015 12:02 PM

Aug 2008
I guess I'm getting too old for series like that. I just couldn't be bothered to pay any attention to the battle and just let it roll in the background while I was looking in an empty space... And I don't think I missed anything significant. Looks like the only thing I'll remember about this title is that the pink haired chick had a really annoying voice.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 24, 2015 12:07 PM

Jul 2014
Decent battle, but not really much of note other than Claudia at the end there. I wonder what that was about.
Oct 24, 2015 12:09 PM

Feb 2015
Some great action sequences. And it was Ayato's sister who restrained his powers. Can't wait so what happens next.
Oct 24, 2015 12:18 PM

Mar 2015
This is a great episode! Then again, I thought this is a harem...4 episodes in and we only got Julis all the time with little cameo from that blue hair and Claudia.

Goddamn... that was kind of cliche but it was great nonetheless. Julis become one of that character that can use its power to make everything. Such as flying.

But... whoa... Claudia is a sadist/yandere? Nice... I didn't expect that. Is she a robot/puppet? Her eyes are different when she killed that weirdo.

Also the girl who made me interested watching this is coming next week. Let's see if she doesn't disappoint.

Oct 24, 2015 12:27 PM

Feb 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Ayato just collecting his waifu, lol! For half of the episode he was carrying Julis, even in the sky!

The ending was really amazing though. kinda feel the sensation. it was really nice.
Oct 24, 2015 12:33 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, let's not worry about what might have happened to Lester, let's just have a nice relaxing talk on the building roof instead.

I've seen some pretty OP MCs before, but asswhooping an android army one handed while carrying a girl in the other arm puts you pretty high up that list.
Oct 24, 2015 1:33 PM

Feb 2011
SchwingBoner said:

Ayato came just in time to save his damsel in distress. Pretty cool fight.

I enjoyed the fight too, but they neglected to show how he even found her. It was hilarious enough that he jumped off a building without knowing where she was. I was expecting Julis to at least ask at some point. Maybe next episode...not likely huh? I guess its a given that Claudia helped out since Ayato stated she was in the area. The manga had Saya give a helping had as well, though small it may have been.
Xynic said:
This show is so similar to the other ongoing series Rakudai kishi no cavalry that I keep on mixing the stories of the two.

Well we know now that MC is really OP but they added some kind of restraint plot on him so he wouldn't be able to beat up his opponent easily.

I'd recommend watching them separately. I'm reading the manga for Rakudai, so less confusion. I'm just noticing the similarity that both MCs have a sister. Difference being that one is closer to the MC than the other. Also, one is an oneesan and the other is an imouto if it wasn't obvious. Ayato's sister is probably alive considering her ability is still in effect, but it'd be horrible if he was stuck with it even if she died. It'd be nice if he could find someone who can cancel out abilities. Similar to a side character in Hunter x Hunter. Index is probably a better reference.
ReloadOct 24, 2015 1:42 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Oct 24, 2015 1:46 PM

Nov 2007
curzon17 said:
I've seen some pretty OP MCs before, but asswhooping an android army one handed while carrying a girl in the other arm puts you pretty high up that list.

Yep. Most recently this guy in the spoiler tried to do the same and ended up with three broken ribs, a severely dislocated shoulder, a fractured arm and a leg, a cut from sword on the chest that was pretty deep and an arrow on the back that luckily missed vital organs.

Unlike Rakudai, Asterisk still doesn't impress me and this one supposedly had higher budget and 2 cours to boot.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 24, 2015 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
shanimebib said:
Unlike Rakudai, Asterisk still doesn't impress me and this one supposedly had higher budget and 2 cours to boot.

Depends a little of what you expect:

Rakudai will have better fights, but plot-wise its more simple;
Asterisk have good fights(not better than Rakudai) but have a more interesting history(with political issues and all).
Oct 24, 2015 2:07 PM
Sep 2012
Xenocrisi said:
Xynic said:

So true. The 4th episode of Gakusen has romance development, Rakudai has romance development in the 4th episode as well LOL. This is so funny.

Although, Rakudai is actually more on the romantic side and both Ikki and Stella are both going out at the end of episode 4 and, of course, their relationship will grow even more later on. Asterisk is on the harem side of things since it doesn't exactly show Ayato having a romantic interest towards Julis at the end of episode 4 and several girls will join his harem later on.

Now, on a separate topic, I remember a few weeks back when they said Ikki from Rakudai was just like Tatsuya from Mahouka. Ayato in Gakusen is actually a bit more similar to Tatsuya since Ayato is RESTRICTED from using his full strength while Ikki isn't restricted since he tries hard to break through his limits with his own effort and strength.
Oct 24, 2015 2:11 PM
Sep 2012
Kyruga said:
shanimebib said:

Depends a little of what you expect:

Rakudai will have better fights, but plot-wise its more simple;
Asterisk have good fights(not better than Rakudai) but have a more interesting history(with political issues and all).

Rakudai's plot actually starts getting more deeper later on so it's not exactly more "simple". Oh well.
Oct 24, 2015 2:11 PM
Oct 2010
Antanaru said:
I guess I'm getting too old for series like that. I just couldn't be bothered to pay any attention to the battle and just let it roll in the background while I was looking in an empty space... And I don't think I missed anything significant. Looks like the only thing I'll remember about this title is that the pink haired chick had a really annoying voice.

Yeah, I still gave this one more ep I think I'll chalk it down to being too old for this shit or something. Cringeworthy chatting while the enemy is still around, overpowered MC that's just stupidly OP (you can be OP and still cool this is just self insert shit) and beating things that top 10 people are losing to etc, dude snapping his fingers to command robots and shit, I'm not even sure why the MC powered up when he was pretty much one hitting the robots since his arrival, guess he wanted to clean them up faster or something... LMAO
Oct 24, 2015 2:14 PM

Mar 2013
Decent adaptation. They didn't do the much of the fight animations but it works out I guess. Glad they emphasized the Ayato x Julis moment. Expect a lot of amazing teamwork from the two in the phoenix and I mean it.

shanimebib said:

Not yet it doesn't. Asterisk main strength lies within it's vast plot settings and the amount of unique characters in a variety of factions. Of course in oppose to Rakudai, Asterisk has 3 types of tournaments which is a plot device. Conversely, as oppose to Asterisk, Rakudai's main strength lies within the relationship between characters (Especially between Ikki and Stella) and the fights are mostly plot devices of character developments even within the tournaments.

Both Rakudai and Asterisk has their own strengths and weaknesses. Stop comparing and try to watch both. These two are at least better than other similarly generic series guaranteed.
Azai-kunOct 24, 2015 2:25 PM
Oct 24, 2015 2:21 PM

Apr 2014
Well, I have fall for Claudia once more...I like how she do thing, kill first ask question later.
Ayato's real power was seal...damn when will the seal be broken? Don't tell me when his sister release it or when she is dead...want some more OPness from Ayato.
So we will be seeing some more mecha fighting again? Oh well lightsaber haha
Oct 24, 2015 2:32 PM

Mar 2013
skudoops said:
Yeah, I still gave this one more ep I think I'll chalk it down to being too old for this shit or something. Cringeworthy chatting while the enemy is still around, overpowered MC that's just stupidly OP (you can be OP and still cool this is just self insert shit) and beating things that top 10 people are losing to etc, dude snapping his fingers to command robots and shit, I'm not even sure why the MC powered up when he was pretty much one hitting the robots since his arrival, guess he wanted to clean them up faster or something... LMAO

Don't really think you should expect things to be so realistic from these kinds of shows. lol. It's an anime for crying out loud. xD

Ayato isn't really OP to the point of Tatsuya (mahouka) or Kirito-tier. There are shitload amount of other insanely OP fighters later in all kinds of different factions that makes Ayato pales in comparison. Heck, even he needs training to power up later. Btw, that early one-hitting was only a sneak attack not a full-frontal one, so of course he could one hit them.
Oct 24, 2015 2:33 PM

Apr 2015
That ending though.
Oct 24, 2015 2:43 PM
Nov 2014
Holy crap that 3D CGI of Claudia at the very end doing the next episode preview. gorgeous <3
Oct 24, 2015 2:55 PM

Jun 2015
Wow, more resemblance! Ayato passes out after using his "real" powers. Good grief!
Oct 24, 2015 3:25 PM
Oct 2010
Azai-kun said:
skudoops said:

Don't really think you should expect things to be so realistic from these kinds of shows. lol. It's an anime for crying out loud. xD

Ayato isn't really OP to the point of Tatsuya (mahouka) or Kirito-tier. There are shitload amount of other insanely OP fighters later in all kinds of different factions that makes Ayato pales in comparison. Heck, even he needs training to power up later. Btw, that early one-hitting was only a sneak attack not a full-frontal one, so of course he could one hit them.

I don't know what difference a sneak attack would make though? He can cut through them no matter what. I thought this was especially weird since the other high ranking guy (forgot his name) got his weapon completely blocked by one hand of the robot... like what? Isn't he one of the top ranked in the academy? How much ahead is the MC above this guy? Then the pink hair girl using hand to hand on a robot.. I mean what was she expecting to achieve by doing this, and why did she assume that it would damage them at all or that they would even flinch from that? I mean picture someone punching terminator in the face, do we really expect anything to happen there?

I don't really expect realism but the whole scene was just weird to me. I'm not a fan of the show in the first place but I'm making this comment without that clouding my judgement. If the pink hair girl is five (?) and the MC is way stronger than her, he should be number one then? Doesn't really matter if he has those chains things either because they kick in after a while so he could pretty much beat everyone as it is.
Oct 24, 2015 3:47 PM

Jan 2008
For being a 1st page or whatever, Lester is sure weak and dumb as fuck. How the heck did he even get on the 1st page fighting like that? I mean the way he fought this episode was basically charge is and use whatever strength he got.

Best part was definitely Claudia looking evil with dual swords.

Oh god at the ending, more robot suits. More 3D CGI to come.
Oct 24, 2015 3:58 PM

Mar 2013
skudoops said:
I don't know what difference a sneak attack would make though? He can cut through them no matter what. I thought this was especially weird since the other high ranking guy (forgot his name) got his weapon completely blocked by one hand of the robot... like what? Isn't he one of the top ranked in the academy? How much ahead is the MC above this guy? Then the pink hair girl using hand to hand on a robot.. I mean what was she expecting to achieve by doing this, and why did she assume that it would damage them at all or that they would even flinch from that? I mean picture someone punching terminator in the face, do we really expect anything to happen there?

I don't really expect realism but the whole scene was just weird to me. I'm not a fan of the show in the first place but I'm making this comment without that clouding my judgement. If the pink hair girl is five (?) and the MC is way stronger than her, he should be number one then? Doesn't really matter if he has those chains things either because they kick in after a while so he could pretty much beat everyone as it is.

Nah, a sneak attack makes a lot of difference for Ayato. The anime didn’t show some previous fights but he was actually really weak, even weaker than Julis herself in a physical match when his seal isn’t released. Lester’s attack was blocked because the huge puppet was designed to specifically combat against him and his brute strength (again anime did not mention, guddamit A1). Also, it’s possible to combat against the normal-sized puppets as Julis a genestella (mana infused humans) has increased physical capabilities and it’s not like she completely destroy them in a hand-to-hand combat, only merely repelling them. It’s true that Ayato’s in his released state is far above Julis and don’t really wanna spoil but more will be revealed later about his strength and how far his capabilities are.

Oh and I almost forgot, Ayato wields the Ser-Versta which I think Claudia mentioned earlier that it can cut through anything with ease hence why he can cut like cheese even in his sealed state.
Oct 24, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
Alright episode, some nice progress. A few cliches.
Oct 24, 2015 4:21 PM

Apr 2013
I probably would have enjoyed this episode more if the enemy wasn't so lame. The ending was pretty interesting though.
Oct 24, 2015 5:02 PM
Jul 2015
wouldn't call this episode great if not for the love development and that plot twist at the end. ayato is obviously OP and I never liked OP character like him.
Cooking is like fapping.

It can be lots of struggle when you're in the middle of it. Sometimes it gets hard and boring. When you're about to finish you're filled with excitement. Then finally you get to enjoy the result of your hardwork. Sometimes it doesn't meet your expectation. But most of the times you feel like you're in paradise and your struggle were not in vain.

But then comes the messy aftermath you have to clean up.
Oct 24, 2015 5:35 PM

Feb 2012
This shit anime has more white knighting than Lance N' Masques.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2015 5:39 PM

Jun 2015
Yo, Lester, I'ma help you out ina second, but first I gotta go collect my harem bae!
Oct 24, 2015 6:25 PM

Mar 2008
kickmesign said:
This shit anime has more white knighting than Lance N' Masques.

Yeah, but at least the MC isn't doing it to little kids in this show...

RealityRush said:
Yo, Lester, I'ma help you out ina second, but first I gotta go collect my harem bae!

Such is the life of Lester. Heck Julis is the only person who really bothered to try and help him out and didn't keep that interest for too long XD.
Oct 24, 2015 6:45 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Ayato's sister better doesn't have a stupid reason to seal her brother's power in order for him to look needlessly "cool".

Isla from Plastic Memories would appear next episode, hope she would be an attractive character.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 24, 2015 7:21 PM

Jun 2014
lester is a 1st page so that means he's one of the most powerful at his school ?! just how weak is this school then ?! the guy got owned like he was no big deal .
Seriously 2 1st page couldn't handle the Puppets yet the OP MC destroyed them with 1 hand while carrying a girl XD
Oct 24, 2015 7:24 PM

Feb 2014
I Love how Claudia's eyes were glowing in different colours
Oct 24, 2015 7:32 PM

Aug 2015
That fight scene was kind of crap. Seemed so much better in my head when I read the LN.
Oct 24, 2015 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
Mroujeee said:
I Love how Claudia's eyes were glowing in different colours

Yeah that was amazing
Oct 24, 2015 8:39 PM

Oct 2011
Ayato was BAD@SS.

They make a great pari <33

Oh damn Claudia what are you planning??

His friend OMG!!!!

Allekant making the ultimate puppet? Ayato and Julis's date going in those puppets?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

203 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

119 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

111 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

113 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 21, 9:19 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

117 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 21, 8:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.